Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,929 members, 7,814,126 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:19 AM

Re-branding The Igbo Nation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Re-branding The Igbo Nation (3455 Views)

Dave Umahi Constructing Roads, Re-branding Ebonyi State - Photos / Osinbanjo: Re-branding The Vice President Title / Re-branding: N’assembly Seeks Source Of Funding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re-branding The Igbo Nation by Anayordike(m): 8:54pm On Nov 23, 2010
Ndi Igbo like other ethnic society in the entity call Nigeria is major stakeholder in the socio-political and economic life and history of Nigeria. They are one of the three major ethnic groups in Nigeria today and will so remain. They are found everywhere in Nigeria and the world in general. They are a very gifted and highly endowed with wisdom, power, might, and die-hard spirit. This is why in spite of all the evils that befell them during the Nigerian civil war, they still a force to reckon with in every sphere of human endeavours: by which even their enemies were force to be their friends either for good or otherwise.

It is no gainsaying that Ndi Igbo have whatever it will take any nation to succeed among the comity of nations. In business they do it in grand styles that others think it is their blood. It’s not that business runs in their vein, but it was just a matter of survival after the civil war. Many of them were left with nothing to start life. Buying and selling seem to be the only option of survival. And to the glory of God they not only survived but succeeded and excelled and became the object of jealous to other ethnics.

Though, Ndi Igbo have done well in business, academics and other related areas of life: but that cannot be said of politics. When it comes to politics in Nigeria, it’s a sorry story. It’s like they lacked what it takes to push their way through to the top. It has always been politics of calumny. They seem to lack coordination and the right attitude to launch themselves to the electorates whenever it matters most: and they often result to thugery, money bag and god-fatherism kinds of politics. It’s like they take pleasure in attacking and defeating themselves before the very eyes of their political opponents.

Do you remember what Chief Jim Nwobodo did to Chief Alex Ekwueme and all the Ndi Igbo at the Eagle’s square in 1999? It was at the PDP Convention where he decided to play the spoiler, instead of supporting his kinsman. He also became Hausa man instantly by choosing to speak Hausa language rather than Igbo language which is his mother’s tongue. Worst of all he never show any sign or remorse or even offer common apology to the Igbo Nation for such bastardly attitude. This is just one out of too many sabotages, distrusts and selfishness which many of the South-East politicians are noted for.

However, it’s not yet too late to make amendment. As the Minister of information and Communication, Prof. Dora Akunyili (an Igbo woman of great repute) is championing the Re-branding of Nigeria, so I think the Igbo nation must not fail to re-brand herself, if Ndi Igbo still want to remain as a people to be reckoned with in the present and future Nigeria state. Eme ngwa, emeghara odachie (a stitch in time saves nine). As a matter of fact and urgency, there is no need beging the issue. Re-branding of Ndi Igbo in every spheres of our socio-economic life is a sin qua non in a time as this. So let Ndi Igbo begin to apply their minds to this. The earlier we do so, the better.

Let me quickly itemize few areas of our socio-economic life that are demanding urgent redress.
1. Our thought pattern needs to be seriously corrected. It’s like we have been programmed to think in a certain direction. That is money direction. We intend to do everything and anything for the sake of money. An Igbo adages says, “na kam ngbe I ga agwu ego ole jiri puta, ka deme jiri wee laa. We need to go back to the good old days of our forefathers. I remember, in those days in Igboland, if a man wants to build a house his kins men and women will rally round him to build the house with him free of charge. They were truly their brothers’ keepers. They do almost every thing in common. They were true democrats and the only true democrats who believe so much in human equality, respect and dignity even before the colonial era. Then the Igbo phrase,” Onye aghala nwanne ya” was more than real because you can truly see and experience it in every family and community. Today’s present Ndi Igbo are seriously lacking all these because of Ego oyibo. Let us think and talk less of ego and consider the things that can help us to be genuine lovers of our kins men and women. When we do this, assuredly we shall be the world leaders we are destined by God Almighty to be.

2. There is great need to educate our people. The level of education in the South East is nothing to write home about compare to other ethnic groups in the country. The Nigeria state supposes to ward free education to them after the Nigerian/Biafran war but failed to do so and that affected lots of children in that region. In 1977, as a primary school drop out I was hawking Igbo made shoes when ignorantly we walk in Armed Forces Resettlement, at Oshodi. The soldiers called us to come and sale goods to them. Unknown to us that, hacking is not allowed in there. They began to take advantage of us. Their oga collected some pairs of shoes from us without paying. Threaten to lock us up in their cell. They called us all sorts of names. Yamiri this, yamiri Ojukwu that. We were intimidated harassed and punished for the war we know nothing about: simply because we are Igbo chaps. Painfully the leaders from the South East seem not to care much about the education of the Igbo child.

There should be free education in all the States of the South East. It’s not enough to talk of the youth being the tomorrow leaders. Let the tomorrow begin now. Ndi Igbo sin na nwa aga eji ogu nkpuru akwa abua wee juru aja, aga eburu uzo nye ya abua na aka abua ka owee doo ya anya. This is just one of the major ways to re-brand the Igbo nation. The Igbo child has suffered more than enough in Nigeria and should not be allowed to continue simply because of a civil war that was fought by two opposing sides.
    Furthermore, it is as a result of lack of free education (unlike in the West) that you see many small boys being given out by their poor parents to rich/poor businessmen/traders to train them in the art of buying and selling even when they are not ordained or destined by God for such. Many of Igbo youths’ lives have been destroyed through this medium and many are still following that same path now. This also calls for sober reflection. We all must not be traders. Variety they is the spice of life.

3. I think there is need for us to look at what we have been calling our culture. The so called red-cap chiefs or the Nze and ozo title-holders seem to be arrogating unnecessary powers to themselves in every community in Igboland. And this ought not to be so. An nze is a so called sanctified man to the gods of his ancestors. In other words, he is a heathen to a Christian man/woman. Therefore should not try to use his chieftaincy title or whatever to intimidate anybody. More so, many of them are not worthy to be called nze/ozo man. As many of them have at one time or the other been involved into one aru or the other. They have failed their communities on many uncountable occasions. Their big appellations have been helping matters. They force people to call them names like Ochiriozua,Ide,Osu-offia, Akukaria,Nwakaibie, Odinanwata, Eze-ego etc. The truth is that some of them are trying to cover up their emptiness with such titles.
4. Our village/Town hall meetings also need to be revisited. So many evil things are been done their without checks. Many of our meetings are nothing more than a war theatre. You come happily but go home a sad man. It’s unfair that some bad belle people use such gathering to get even with their perceived enemies.
Worse still, some have thrown cautions, courtesies, respect for elders and one another to the wind in the name of civilization and worship of materialism. As if everything is money. A si onye kpata ego ya a mazi la onye toro mmadu?
Ndi Igbo should as a matter of urgency learn how to respect other people’s views and opinions.
The reason why there is lots of fighting among Ndi Igbo is simply because we hate to give ear to other people’s views and opinions. We believe we know better and more important than others even within ourselves.
On this and many other things, we need to be re-branded before we can begin to think of our future place in the Nigerian state as stakeholders. Other ethnic groups in this nation seem more organized than we claim to be.

5.  And for Ndi Igbo to be truly a one strong and united people, we must learn to                                                                       
The Igbo politicians should understand that politics and governance is all about service to the people. What we need in Igbo land is good road networks, electricity, hospitals, and good schools for our children and clean water. If they can commit themselves to providing these amenities people will no longer abandon their communities/state to live and work in another man’s states/cities. I use to have one retired police officer as landlord. Each time he’s drunk, he will start insulting the Igbos who live in his house that their fathers have no house in their village that is why they are living in his house. Can you imagine that? Julius Nwa Ewuim zara afa si na nwa nogwe mba, o laa na bee ha. Ya mere Igbo lota nu ka anyi dozie Ala Igbo. Mmiri doro n’eju, doro nwa nkita. Onye mara asu , o sua n’ikwe, ma onye amaghi asu, o sua n’ala.

6.   Pertinently, I want to say that Ndi Igbo have not been fair to their language. The Igbo language is suffering and is about to die as a result of Constant and premeditated attempts by both the owners of the language and the enemies of it. It’s like the majority of the Igbos don’t want to hear/speak nor have anything to do with Igbo language. Especially the elite class: I mean the so called educated ones,  Majority of them see Igbo language as a local one and anyone who speaks or studied it in school as never do well. This is so bad. O jogburu udele maa sigbu nkakwu na isi.
People of every nations/country are very proud of their own language and culture. But reverse seems the case among Ndi Igbo. Some years ago a popular high life musician recorded an album appealing to the Igbo nation not to allow their language to die or abused. He called the title “Ingligbo”. “Onye asu zi na Ingligbo” That is the mixture of English and Igbo languages together.  Almost every Igbo person is guilty of this, both educated and illiterates alike. This must be stopped. We should not allow foreign languages to destroy our God given language.

We did not asked to be born Igbo. It pleases God, who does everything in His wisdom to bestow us with this wonderful Igbo language. So we must appreciate it as God’s gift to us. We should encourage people to speak Igbo just like the Hausas and Yorubas are doing. No matter how educated and sophisticated a Yoruba person may be, whenever he’s with his people would address them with Yoruba language. So it is with the Hausas. As a result of their love for their languages, both languages are now being aired all over the world. But the Igbos, what do you have? Every now and then we keep on talking of political marginalization when we have left undone things that ought to be done. And we are pursuing shadows and at the same time deceiving ourselves.

We need to come to our senses in order to re-brand ourselves. Many things are wrong with us as a people. We are great and powerful people but we not organized to recognize these potentials. That is why our leaders should show good examples in all things they do. The rich people among Ndi Igbo should stop send wrong signals to the masses. It’s the wrong display of their riches/wealth that created most of the societal vices among Igbo youths of today.

Finally, we must come together to seek our common good. We have seen enough of all these in- fightings among Ndi Igbo. People from the East are noted for their wisdom and power. We are from the East. Let us begin to display these to the benefits of all Ndi Igbo. We must have one common goal: that is, whatever any Igbo person is doing let him/her do it for the sake of the Igbo Nation. If you are sent to Abuja, please represent Ndi Igbo well there and do not fail to bring home our share of the national cake. Remember it’s not your personal property. If you are a governor, minister, commissioner or whatever, bring development to Ndi Igbo. Ndi Igbo wee sii na atuko utu wee you mmamiri, ya agba ufufu. Gidigidi bu ugwu eze. Ofu obi ka umu nne ji ebi. Igbo mma mma nu. Ekele m unu!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Re-branding The Igbo Nation by isalegan2: 10:26pm On Nov 23, 2010
"The Nigeria state supposes to ward free education to them after the Nigerian/Biafran war but failed to do so and that affected lots of children in that region. In 1977, as a primary school drop out I was hacking Igbo made shoes when ignorantly we walk in Armed Forces Resettlement, at Oshodi. The soldiers called us to come and sale goods to them. Unknown to us that, hacking is not allowed in there. They began to take advantage of us. Their oga collected some pairs of shoes from us without paying. Threaten to lock us up in their cell. They called us all sorts of names. Yamiri this, yamiri Ojukwu that. We were intimidated harassed and punished for the war we know nothing about: simply because we are Igbo chaps. Painfully the leaders from the South East seem not to care much about the education of the Igbo child."

Great post! 

It would be a service, and motivating to people out there if you shed some light on how you turned your life around, from the child you described above, a primary school drouput selling things on the street and getting harrassed by police, to the person you are today.  That is, if you have time and want to share, of course.

Bravo!

-Isale Gangan
Re: Re-branding The Igbo Nation by Omenani(m): 10:30pm On Nov 23, 2010
Excellent post!  cheesy

What a worthy cause.
Re: Re-branding The Igbo Nation by Anayordike(m): 11:01pm On Nov 23, 2010
Thanks for your comment. The story of my life is indeed a very long one made for another day. But it may not be different from what the Igbo child went through during and after the civil war.

1 Like

Re: Re-branding The Igbo Nation by Onlytruth(m): 11:44pm On Nov 23, 2010
I have already argued that the revival of Igbo world depends on what we do as individuals. Before I criticize another Igbo person, I always search myself to be sure that I'm not guilty of the same fault.

The revolution begins with me! cool cool
Re: Re-branding The Igbo Nation by TippyTop(m): 2:00am On Nov 24, 2010
Our thought pattern needs to be seriously corrected. It’s like we have been programmed to think in a certain direction. That is money direction.
The above is the bane of most Igbo problems.
Re: Re-branding The Igbo Nation by babapupa: 2:36am On Nov 24, 2010
Onlytruth:

I have already argued that the revival of Igbo world depends on what we do as individuals. Before I criticize another Igbo person, I always search myself to be sure that I'm not guilty of the same fault.

The revolution begins with me! cool cool

So if some ibo pesin did something wrong, you wont say anything to the ibo pesin because you once did the same thing?

Like I always say, the tribe is more important to you people than right and wrong. How do you re brand yourself while perpetrating the same ills you're trying to re brand.

How do you move ahead as a credible society if the tribe trumps right and wrong?

Sounds like you people are gonna remain in the wilderness for a while.

You people think like cave men and no wonder y'all are f'ed up.
Re: Re-branding The Igbo Nation by Onlytruth(m): 2:40am On Nov 24, 2010
babapupa:

So if some ibo pesin did something wrong, you wont say anything to the ibo pesin because you once did the same thing?

Like I always say, the tribe is more important to you people than right and wrong. How do you re brand  yourself while perpetrating the same ills you're trying to re brand.

How do you move ahead as a credible society if the tribe trumps right and wrong?

Sounds like[b] you people[/b] are gonna remain in the wilderness for a while.

[b]You people [/b]think like cave men and no wonder y'all are f'ed up.

Sharap dia you tribal marked goat!  angry
Who invited you to this thread?

Why not go clean up the sh'1t in your backyard before sh!tt!ing on yourself because of Igbo problems. cry cry cry
Re: Re-branding The Igbo Nation by oyinda3(f): 2:48am On Nov 24, 2010
^^no fighting! Mr. Igbo and Mr. Yoruba  angry

@OP,
how do you envision the re-branded igbo nation? Can you pick a recognizable example from any country around the globe in these contemporary times of how you would want this ideal situation to look like?
Re: Re-branding The Igbo Nation by aljharem(m): 2:49am On Nov 24, 2010
Onlytruth:

Sharap dia you tribal marked goat!  angry
Who invited you to this thread?

Why not go clean up the sh'1t  in your backyard before sh!tt!ing on yourself because of Igbo problems. cry cry cry

why u dey vex na angry is he lying, why can't u cub wilywily like jason and other people cub bkbabe
Re: Re-branding The Igbo Nation by Onlytruth(m): 2:51am On Nov 24, 2010
alj harem:

why u dey vex na angry is he lying, w[b]hy can't u cub wilywily like jason and other people cub bkbabe[/b]

Is this English?
Re: Re-branding The Igbo Nation by aljharem(m): 2:52am On Nov 24, 2010
babapupa:

Like I always say, the tribe is more important to you people than right and wrong. How do you re brand  yourself while perpetrating the same ills you're trying to re brand.

baba u are right, until they show that they are mature enough to discredit bad behaviour of there brothers and some of their people then there is no hope
Re: Re-branding The Igbo Nation by aljharem(m): 2:53am On Nov 24, 2010
Onlytruth:

Is this English?
grin angry grin angry is that the point??

until u show u are mature enough then u will earn no respect from any group of the country fact
Re: Re-branding The Igbo Nation by jason12345: 2:54am On Nov 24, 2010
babapupa:

Like I always say, the tribe is more important to you people than right and wrong. How do you re brand  yourself while perpetrating the same ills you're trying to re brand.

thank you!!!
Re: Re-branding The Igbo Nation by Onlytruth(m): 2:57am On Nov 24, 2010
alj harem:

baba u are right, until they show that they are mature enough to discredit bad behaviour of there brothers and some of their people then there is no hope

You mean like you have been discrediting your thieving Northern brothers who stole Nigeria blind for 38 years?

You mean like he has discredited his Yoruba brother OBJ who stole us blind? Or his Fashola who is currently stealing Lagos blind together with Tinubu?   or like he attacked his gbomo gbomo brothers who hack off limbs and private parts for money juju?

Or like you attacked your brothers for breeding 10 million almajiris in northern Nigeria?

You and your "wife" sound ridiculous.  undecided
Re: Re-branding The Igbo Nation by kcjazz(m): 2:59am On Nov 24, 2010
Until we hold our leaders responsible we can't be where we should be. At the end, Biafran warriors will say everything wrong with Nigeria but never question those that have been responsible for the state of our roads and the economic welfare of our people.
Re: Re-branding The Igbo Nation by jason12345: 3:01am On Nov 24, 2010
Onlytruth:

You mean like you have been discrediting your thieving Northern brothers who stole Nigeria blind for 38 years?

You mean like he has discredited his Yoruba brother OBJ who stole us blind? Or his Fashola who is currently stealing Lagos blind together with Tinubu?   or like he attacked his gbomo gbomo brothers who hack off limbs and private parts for money juju?

Or like you attacked your brothers for breeding 10 million almajiris in northern Nigeria?

. . . . . . and who do people refer to as the BEAUTIFUL BRIDE? you know the answer.
Re: Re-branding The Igbo Nation by Onlytruth(m): 3:05am On Nov 24, 2010
^^

Here, you are Aboki's wife. FACT.  cool
Re: Re-branding The Igbo Nation by aljharem(m): 3:07am On Nov 24, 2010
Onlytruth:

onlytruth, onlytruth,,,,,,,,,,,ONLYLIES

how many times do me and some other northerners have discredit our leader,,,,, how many time onlytruth

the so called yorubas that do juju are igbos in those area may be some yorubas

but it is igbos that started it in the yoruba land, thank God when ur brothers wanted to start it in the north,, they were whiped out completely

seriously, i really do not know how the yorubas tolerate igbos people like u, i beleive it is very difficult or they are just nice set of people

about lagos and tinubu, it affects the whole country not just lagos, what about odili, kalu and co so stop insulting the sw
Re: Re-branding The Igbo Nation by jason12345: 3:10am On Nov 24, 2010
Onlytruth:

^^

Here, you are Aboki's wife. FACT.  cool

whatever!

@ topic

i think there is nothing there to re-brand. the igbo population has already been blessed with good fortunes and talent. i think all it needs is a change in leadership and you are sorted. also, the mentality of "everyone is against us".

May God help you
Re: Re-branding The Igbo Nation by Omenani(m): 3:14am On Nov 24, 2010
Onlytruth,

Sometimes it is best to ignore these guys.  undecided You fell into their trap.

Either way, I support this piece on the Igbo Nation. We need a complete overhaul of our modern day society. Can't worry about the rest of Nigeria when our own backyard is in flames.
Re: Re-branding The Igbo Nation by jason12345: 3:16am On Nov 24, 2010
Omenani:

Onlytruth,

Sometimes it is best to ignore these guys.  undecided

Either way, I support this piece on the Igbo Nation. We need a complete overhaul of our modern day society. Can't worry about the rest of Nigeria when our own backyard is in flames.

pls, explain what you mean by the bolded
Re: Re-branding The Igbo Nation by Onlytruth(m): 3:16am On Nov 24, 2010
Omenani:

Onlytruth,

Sometimes it is best to ignore these guys.  undecided

Either way, I support this piece on the Igbo Nation. We need a complete overhaul of our modern day society.

You mean it is ok to accept their branding of Ndigbo?
Dude what is wrong with you?

How long do you think it takes before brands start to stick?
If you don't understand it, why not just clear from the road?  undecided undecided angry
Re: Re-branding The Igbo Nation by Onlytruth(m): 3:17am On Nov 24, 2010
alj harem:

onlytruth, onlytruth,,,,,,,,,,,ONLYLIES

how many times do me and some other northerners have discredit our leader,,,,, how many time onlytruth

the so called yorubas that do juju are igbos in those area may be some yorubas

but it is igbos that started it in the yoruba land, thank God when your brothers wanted to start it in the north,, they were whiped out completely

seriously, i really do not know how the yorubas tolerate igbos people like u, i beleive it is very difficult or they are just nice set of people

about lagos and tinubu, it affects the whole country not just lagos, what about odili, kalu and co so stop insulting the sw

Aboki goat you have been too long in the savana chewing grass that you missed the history of things in Nigeria.

Nobody tolerates us anywhere in Nigeria. We simply DEY there.  cool cool

We DEY North too. So stop the bullcrap about "tolerating Igbo". We are Nigerians, thanks to you not-so-smart person.
We are the ones tolerating your backward a55.

Now go back to the grass.  grin
Re: Re-branding The Igbo Nation by aljharem(m): 3:18am On Nov 24, 2010
Omenani:

Onlytruth,

Sometimes it is best to ignore these guys.  undecided You fell into their trap.

Oga, did babapupa lie

i ask is he lying

when bkbabe talks u see jason,ileke-idi and co insulting him but when an igbo insult a yoruba or hausa, u all keep mute
Re: Re-branding The Igbo Nation by aljharem(m): 3:20am On Nov 24, 2010
Onlytruth:

You mean it is ok to accept their branding of Ndigbo?
Dude what is wrong with you?

How long do you think it takes before brands start to stick?
If you don't understand it, why not just clear from the road?  undecided undecided angry

onlytruth u make me laugh grin grin grin

well, i would not like to fight with u because u are my brother wink

all am saying is that if u do not tell people off when an igbo insult other groups, then there will be no respect
Re: Re-branding The Igbo Nation by Onlytruth(m): 3:20am On Nov 24, 2010
alj harem:

Oga, did babapupa lie

i ask is he lying

when bkbabe talks u see jason,ileke-idi and co insulting him but when an igbo insult a yoruba or hausa, u all keep mute

@Omenani

Ngwa answer this goat !

If you spend some time to look at enemies of ndigbo, you may actually be thinking. The way you are going about on nairaland is even anti-Igbo.

Ogbara nkiti kwere ekwe!  cool undecided
Re: Re-branding The Igbo Nation by Onlytruth(m): 3:22am On Nov 24, 2010
alj harem:

onlytruth u make me laugh grin grin grin

well, i would not like to fight with u because u are my brother wink

all am saying is that if u do not tell people off when an igbo insult other groups, then there will be no respect

Aboki you are NOT MY BROTHER.
There is NO WAY you are my brother, yet gloating over "wiping me out". Goat!
Re: Re-branding The Igbo Nation by jason12345: 3:23am On Nov 24, 2010
anyway, can you guys go back to the topic?!
Re: Re-branding The Igbo Nation by aljharem(m): 3:25am On Nov 24, 2010
Onlytruth:

Aboki you are NOT MY BROTHER.
There is NO WAY you are my brother, yet gloating over "wiping me out". Goat!
grin grin grin grin, we are brother, whether u like it or not cool cool

we must and will be brother by BLOOD cool grin wink
Re: Re-branding The Igbo Nation by Onlytruth(m): 3:25am On Nov 24, 2010
jason12345:

anyway, can you guys go back to the topic?!

Exactly, AFTER YOUR EXIT!  undecided angry undecided
Re: Re-branding The Igbo Nation by Onlytruth(m): 3:26am On Nov 24, 2010
alj harem:

grin grin grin grin, we are brother, whether u like it or not cool cool

[b]we must and will be brother by BLOOD [/b]cool grin wink

Yea, YOUR BLOOD! hahaha hehehe! grin grin grin grin grin
rolling on da flo! grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Welcome Home: 500 Nigerians Return From Egypt / Ontario Oil And Gas Limited May Implicate President Goodluck In Fuel Subsidy / Zahra Buhari's Reaction To The Rain Falling In Lagos. It Might Shock You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.