Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,486 members, 7,836,896 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:15 PM

Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time (68884 Views)

Meeting Your In-law For Marriage: 6 Questions To Expect As A Guy / Indian Man To Sue His Parents For Giving Birth To Him Without His Consent / Italy-Based Nigerian Man Jails His Parents For Sending Him Pics Of Fake House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by wellmax(m): 4:12pm On May 21, 2020
I remember that time grin grin

We thank God for everything
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Nobody: 4:12pm On May 21, 2020
No 6.

Weird.

Why would you want to waste the food put before you?
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by HQuadreal: 4:12pm On May 21, 2020
Na my babe house o no be war front na, see condition as if na soldier Barack dem house dey...

3 Likes

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Toxay(m): 4:12pm On May 21, 2020
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by whycee001(m): 4:12pm On May 21, 2020
Number 6 is trash

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Peridotushers18: 4:13pm On May 21, 2020
Make una hear
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by pretydiva(f): 4:14pm On May 21, 2020
Nice
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by ieemmanuel(m): 4:14pm On May 21, 2020
Don't struggle with that meat that refuse to cut with your teeth grin grin

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by akmath: 4:14pm On May 21, 2020
I WILL GLADLY DO ALL EXCEPT NUMBER SIX, THE ONLY THING WEY GO MAKE ME NO FINISH THE FOOD NA IF I NO LIKE AM.

THANK YOU..

9 Likes

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Nobody: 4:14pm On May 21, 2020
iamyemiakins:
SEVEN THINGS YOU SHOULD NOT DO WHEN MEETING YOUR PARTNER'S PARENTS FOR THE FIRST TIME.

This is a major step in a relationship, so the first impression can be a lasting impression, believe me when I say that.

1. PLAYING WITH YOUR PHONE

Avoid being on your phone, texting, checking your mail, facebooking or chatting. Sometimes most of us do it unknowingly. It is true some chicks do that just to keep themselves busy, but your spouse parents might feel dismissed and think you are not interested in getting to know them, especially, So avoid your phone at that first time.

2. LIE TO MAKE YOURSELF LOOK GOOD

Being fake instead of who you truly are is a mistake that can upset your partner's parents, and even your partner. Remember, they may get to know who you are later or in your absence, and it could really hurt your relationship. If you have told your partner the truth about you and your partner has accepted the kind of person you are, his/her parents should be able to do same. So there is no need of lying to attract their likeness.

3. BRINGING UP A CONTROVERSIAL TOPIC FOR DISCUSSION

Please don't bring up a topic like Religion, Politics, or s3x for discussion, even if you know that your believe are in line with your partner's parents. Some people still consider it bad for bringing up such topic for discussion before them. Concentrate on getting to know them more rather than those topics. If they keep discussing such topic among themselves, do more of listening.

4. DON'T GIVE LONG SPEECHES, MAKE YOUR SPEECHES BRIEF

Despite the fact that they are very interested in getting to know you, they also do not want to spend the entire time listening to your life story. Don't tell them stories about how your father divorced your mother when you were a teenager, how your community people burnt a woman to ashes for insulting her hubby, and all that. Make your speeches brief and interesting.

5. PUBLIC DISPLAY AFFECTION

Yes, public display of affection can be wonderful,but there is appropriate time for it. This does not mean you have to become cold, distant and robotic. Feel relaxed, interact with them gently, smile and be friendly, but make it neutral, rather than behaving as if you are desperate to have them as in laws.

6. DON'T FINISH ANY FOOD GIVEN TO YOU

Whether the food is small or plenty, and no matter how delicious it is. Never ask for alcohol if you are asked to make a choice of drink. Don't be carried away. This is very important.

7. DON'T PASS THE NIGHT THERE

No matter the persuation, don't pass the night in their house on your first day of visit.

You can also add yours...

https://m.facebook.com/103658061331200/posts/7-things-you-should-not-do-when-meeting-your-partners-parents-for-the-first-time/120618422968497/
All these are in Op's Ideal setting not Nigeria, at least not My Niger delta...
Just get money, las las na poor man go read and obey all this things.

Dammmmmnnn Nigggaaarrrrr!

4 Likes

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Omotaday(m): 4:15pm On May 21, 2020
Why won’t I finish food? Dey there.
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Starz825(m): 4:16pm On May 21, 2020
Lamanii22:
Never complain about the food given to you.... Just eat it with love...
It will be very foolish to be that Petty...
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Nobody: 4:16pm On May 21, 2020
Op say don't fake your self still say don't finish food or request for alcohol. Baba you are contradicting your self

6 Likes

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by socialmediaman: 4:16pm On May 21, 2020
No 6 though. You’re expected to finish your food in some pleases especially if you dished it yourself. Some people will warn you ahead of time

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Theway17: 4:16pm On May 21, 2020
ok,No problem.
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Bryan88(m): 4:17pm On May 21, 2020
Chinny024:
Don't wear skin revealing clothe.. Dress modestly and not Takpas!!!
nwa Enugu!

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by snoopanddre(m): 4:17pm On May 21, 2020
Don't spend too much time there. Leave when it is time.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Lexusgs430: 4:19pm On May 21, 2020
Keeping your tattoo's exposed........ grin

2 Likes

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by hybridblood07(m): 4:19pm On May 21, 2020
You never ready to marry bro. You wan go show say you be brewery abi? I pity you
uncleFola:
Oga, u see that your No 6 ehn..... I can try not to finish any food given to me..... but make person come offer me some over chilled Green bottles or Vodka with ice make I come say No..... ah e go hard small o.
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by muykem: 4:20pm On May 21, 2020
Oga, your number 2 and 6 is contradictory. I may not ask for alcohol but why won't I finish the food if it is within my range, so far I decided to eat, finish the food must not be a problem.
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by sassiemyk: 4:20pm On May 21, 2020
No. 6 is pure falacy. I hate wastes. In fact if i were the dad in d house that would be a problem. I dont waste food in my house and wont waste food in someones house all in d name of manners. Who even made those laws? One simple rule "Just Be Yourself" period.

5 Likes

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by money121(m): 4:20pm On May 21, 2020
Ok
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Ramos16(m): 4:20pm On May 21, 2020
xteve:
OP, are you married?

I am looking for the answer to this question

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Eskdale(m): 4:21pm On May 21, 2020
payperpost:
don't hold condom in your hand while discussing with her parent, hide it

your Highness , depart from anything smoke plssss

6 Likes

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by jericco1(m): 4:21pm On May 21, 2020
Some points are useful sha
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Prenonjebose: 4:21pm On May 21, 2020
Don't go there empty handed. Have something to give. If you must finish the food, don't scrape the plate.

9 Likes

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Blacknote: 4:21pm On May 21, 2020
iamyemiakins:
SEVEN THINGS YOU SHOULD NOT DO WHEN MEETING YOUR PARTNER'S PARENTS FOR THE FIRST TIME.

This is a major step in a relationship, so the first impression can be a lasting impression, believe me when I say that.

Avoid being on your phone, texting, checking your mail, facebooking or chatting. Sometimes most of us do it unknowingly. It is true some chicks do that just to keep themselves busy, but your spouse parents might feel dismissed and think you are not interested in getting to know them, especially, So avoid your phone at that first time.

Being fake instead of who you truly are is a mistake that can upset your partner's parents, and even your partner. Remember, they may get to know who you are later or in your absence, and it could really hurt your relationship. If you have told your partner the truth about you and your partner has accepted the kind of person you are, his/her parents should be able to do same. So there is no need of lying to attract their likeness.

Please don't bring up a topic like Religion, Politics, or s3x for discussion, even if you know that your believe are in line with your partner's parents. Some people still consider it bad for bringing up such topic for discussion before them. Concentrate on getting to know them more rather than those topics. If they keep discussing such topic among themselves, do more of listening.

Despite the fact that they are very interested in getting to know you, they also do not want to spend the entire time listening to your life story. Don't tell them stories about how your father divorced your mother when you were a teenager, how your community people burnt a woman to ashes for insulting her hubby, and all that. Make your speeches brief and interesting.

Yes, public display of affection can be wonderful,but there is appropriate time for it. This does not mean you have to become cold, distant and robotic. Feel relaxed, interact with them gently, smile and be friendly, but make it neutral, rather than behaving as if you are desperate to have them as in laws.

Whether the food is small or plenty, and no matter how delicious it is. Never ask for alcohol if you are asked to make a choice of drink. Don't be carried away. This is very important.

No matter the persuation, don't pass the night in their house on your first day of visit.

https://m.facebook.com/103658061331200/posts/7-things-you-should-not-do-when-meeting-your-partners-parents-for-the-first-time/120618422968497/
Op you can't be serious about number 6
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Sniper4real(m): 4:21pm On May 21, 2020
pickatyou:
Op say don't fake your self still say don't finish food or request for alcohol. Baba you are contradicting your self

My brother, i tire ooh. Make Op just tell me y I sud not finish the food
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by EngrEgghead: 4:22pm On May 21, 2020
iamyemiakins:

@7. I passed the night in their house. Infact, she won't allow me to Lodge in the hotel. She's so accommodating, till now.
8. Be neat and simple in your looks. First appearance, they say, matters most.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by hybridblood07(m): 4:22pm On May 21, 2020
It's two different thing bro. I'm sure he asked for two bottles in her parents housez her mum will discourage her.
I won't even eat sef, I'll ask for chilled water and that would be all
imohchard:
lol

I DISAGREE strongly with 6.

I feel you should act normal with people you intend to be family with.

Reminds me of a friend of mine, was dating a lady from a very religious family.

On their first date, he took her to a spot. He ordered 2 bottles of Beer for himself. Babe was irritated.
She came back home and told her mom. Her mom, being a wise person, told her to marry that guy. Because he would never pretend or hide anything from her.

They've been married for 10 years now.... And the lady is now a brewery herself. grin grin grin grin wink wink wink
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by eedimo(m): 4:22pm On May 21, 2020
Shit
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by mistijude: 4:22pm On May 21, 2020
You can observe all these protocols and courtesy, and still not your own.Untill come to term with the fact that it's only God that knows who will be your wife, hence asking him all the time to help you find one, we will continue to live in bondage and human psychology!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

My Single Neighbor Came Knocking At My Door Late In The Night / Zimbabwean Man Invites Wife's Boyfriend To His House For Sex & He Came / 4 Things You Should Learn To Avoid About Women, If You Want To Live Long

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.