Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,303 members, 7,836,315 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:36 AM

Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time (68879 Views)

Meeting Your In-law For Marriage: 6 Questions To Expect As A Guy / Indian Man To Sue His Parents For Giving Birth To Him Without His Consent / Italy-Based Nigerian Man Jails His Parents For Sending Him Pics Of Fake House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by engela7(m): 6:50pm On May 21, 2020
That number 6 no work for me.

If them gimme better food I go chew am finish.
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Darlingboy4sure(m): 6:51pm On May 21, 2020
A relationship that will work out, will work out. The one that won't hold water, if u like read a thousand relationship books, nothing dey happen.

So relax urself, be real and do ur thing the way ur conscience pleases.

Life is not a rehearsal

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by ParagonBeauty: 6:52pm On May 21, 2020
This number 7, I want to ask, what if you're coming from a distance place that you can't go back that day, especially if you're a lady, can't you sleep there instead of sleeping else where? kiss
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by MightySirKay(m): 6:55pm On May 21, 2020
Gandollar:
Respect go still dey. Unto say you too no dey bad.
That's true. He dey think say if he don bring lambo, his father in law go dey prostrate greet him.

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by MightySirKay(m): 6:57pm On May 21, 2020
Poloyanabo1:

That family does not exist in nigeria...
Lambo of 300million as wardrobe change money?
If Mike Adenuga, Femi Otedola or Dangote happens to be your in-law nko?

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Prodigy100(m): 6:57pm On May 21, 2020
forget it,if you are rich your partners parent will love all your gestures.

3 Likes

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Uniqueforce: 7:00pm On May 21, 2020
ieemmanuel:
Don't struggle with that meat that refuse to cut with your teeth grin grin

Very embarrassing grin
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by SweetCunt97(f): 7:02pm On May 21, 2020
verifiedlegacy:

seriously. this one follow too..

make them no perceive latrin abi..

me wil take flagen drug before going.. na 3days of locked stomach
buhhaaahhaaha
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Millenniumlady(f): 7:14pm On May 21, 2020
uncleFola:
Oga, u see that your No 6 ehn..... I can try not to finish any food given to me..... but make person come offer me some over chilled Green bottles or Vodka with ice make I come say No..... ah e go hard small o.
Must you finish everything itori oloru sad
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by HIPROFILE(m): 7:15pm On May 21, 2020
imohchard:
lol

I DISAGREE strongly with 6.

I feel you should act normal with people you intend to be family with.

Reminds me of a friend of mine, was dating a lady from a very religious family.

On their first date, he took her to a spot. He ordered 2 bottles of Beer for himself. Babe was irritated.
She came back home and told her mom. Her mom, being a wise person, told her to marry that guy. Because he would never pretend or hide anything from her.

They've been married for 10 years now.... And the lady is now a brewery herself. grin grin grin grin wink wink wink

Lmao.... grin grin
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Uckroot: 7:18pm On May 21, 2020
iamyemiakins:
SEVEN THINGS YOU SHOULD NOT DO WHEN MEETING YOUR PARTNER'S PARENTS FOR THE FIRST TIME.

This is a major step in a relationship, so the first impression can be a lasting impression, believe me when I say that.

1. PLAYING WITH YOUR PHONE

Avoid being on your phone, texting, checking your mail, facebooking or chatting. Sometimes most of us do it unknowingly. It is true some chicks do that just to keep themselves busy, but your spouse parents might feel dismissed and think you are not interested in getting to know them, especially, So avoid your phone at that first time.

2. LIE TO MAKE YOURSELF LOOK GOOD

Being fake instead of who you truly are is a mistake that can upset your partner's parents, and even your partner. Remember, they may get to know who you are later or in your absence, and it could really hurt your relationship. If you have told your partner the truth about you and your partner has accepted the kind of person you are, his/her parents should be able to do same. So there is no need of lying to attract their likeness.

3. BRINGING UP A CONTROVERSIAL TOPIC FOR DISCUSSION

Please don't bring up a topic like Religion, Politics, or s3x for discussion, even if you know that your believe are in line with your partner's parents. Some people still consider it bad for bringing up such topic for discussion before them. Concentrate on getting to know them more rather than those topics. If they keep discussing such topic among themselves, do more of listening.

4. DON'T GIVE LONG SPEECHES, MAKE YOUR SPEECHES BRIEF

Despite the fact that they are very interested in getting to know you, they also do not want to spend the entire time listening to your life story. Don't tell them stories about how your father divorced your mother when you were a teenager, how your community people burnt a woman to ashes for insulting her hubby, and all that. Make your speeches brief and interesting.

5. PUBLIC DISPLAY AFFECTION

Yes, public display of affection can be wonderful,but there is appropriate time for it. This does not mean you have to become cold, distant and robotic. Feel relaxed, interact with them gently, smile and be friendly, but make it neutral, rather than behaving as if you are desperate to have them as in laws.

6. DON'T FINISH ANY FOOD GIVEN TO YOU

Whether the food is small or plenty, and no matter how delicious it is. Never ask for alcohol if you are asked to make a choice of drink. Don't be carried away. This is very important.

7. DON'T PASS THE NIGHT THERE

No matter the persuation, don't pass the night in their house on your first day of visit.

You can also add yours...

https://m.facebook.com/103658061331200/posts/7-things-you-should-not-do-when-meeting-your-partners-parents-for-the-first-time/120618422968497/

I will finish any and every food brought before me BECaUsE I can afford it. Thank you
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Angelacruz: 7:19pm On May 21, 2020
Ok...but i dnt buy some of dese ur advice.
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Chommybaby(f): 7:24pm On May 21, 2020
verifiedlegacy:

must there be a reason dear..

Then find it and tell me OK?? wink wink wink
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Chommybaby(f): 7:24pm On May 21, 2020
payperpost:

Chioma Jesus, why?

Who holds the condom outside or displays it cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Nobody: 7:25pm On May 21, 2020
I don't agree with No 6
In fact, my family hates the idea passionately
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by faithfull18(f): 7:31pm On May 21, 2020
The only thing you should do is be yourself.

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by uncleFola(m): 7:31pm On May 21, 2020
Millenniumlady:
Must you finish everything itori oloru sad
Aunty, I didn’t say I will finish everything oo.... don’t implicate me oo abeg... lol
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by PotatoSalad(m): 7:35pm On May 21, 2020
Unmarried people making nonsense lists.
Is this nairaland or listverse?
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Thingsvirtous19(f): 7:35pm On May 21, 2020
Lol at dont finish the food. what if the food is sweet. Wasting food could also be a bad sign.

It is well.

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by toolovely(m): 7:38pm On May 21, 2020
uncleFola:
Oga, u see that your No 6 ehn..... I can try not to finish any food given to me..... but make person come offer me some over chilled Green bottles or Vodka with ice make I come say No..... ah e go hard small o.

My brother... Though during my first visit, I declined food but my father in-law, na buzz man himself... He buys Beer and keep at home...
That I no reject ooo
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by fujirice: 7:40pm On May 21, 2020
At no. 6, the first day I went to my in-laws, I did not only finish the food but asked for extra. My mother in-law laughed her heart out when she was told that I needed extra. That was like the deal breaker for me as she wouldn’t stop talking about me.
We are happily married now before the lockdown and that food incident solidified my relationship with my MIL.

Bottom line of my story is, do not pretend. If you like food, don’t pretend that you don’t but all in all, do not overdo it.
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Ubdavis(m): 7:41pm On May 21, 2020
No 6 ... U wrote utter nonsense..
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by uncleFola(m): 7:44pm On May 21, 2020
IamOrei:

Then you aren’t self disciplined
pele oo oga self discipline, You will forget those disciplines when you meet a father Inlaw wey know as e Dey go
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by madprophet(m): 7:48pm On May 21, 2020
Chinny024:
Don't wear skin revealing clothe.. Dress modestly and not Takpas!!!

Very important

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Tankotanko: 7:48pm On May 21, 2020
Chinny024:
Don't wear skin revealing clothe.. Dress modestly and not Takpas!!!

Because if you reveal unnecessarily, the huge rod will protest, and parents will be afraid, and think their DotA womb go shift by fire by force o

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by uncleFola(m): 7:49pm On May 21, 2020
toolovely:

My brother... Though during my first visit, I declined food but my father in-law, na buzz man himself... He buys Beer and keep at home...
That I no reject ooo
that’s exactly my point bro, some father in-law Sabi pas wetin u think self..... so they know if u are forming...
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Nobody: 7:53pm On May 21, 2020
Lamanii22:
Never complain about the food given to you.... Just eat it with love...
Even if I'm allergic to the food embarassed
I can't kill myself oo... I can also decline with love grin

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by roliks99(f): 8:05pm On May 21, 2020
payperpost:
don't hold condom in your hand while discussing with her parent, hide it

Lols.......why on earth would you wantu hold a Condom to your in-laws house grin grin grin grin
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by zedegit: 8:08pm On May 21, 2020
MightySirKay:
What if your net worth is not up to their wardrobe allowance?

E go hard. Na Obasanjo Buhari daughter you wan marry?
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Nobody: 8:12pm On May 21, 2020
Chommybaby:

Who holds the condom outside or displays it cheesy cheesy cheesy
Lolz
you know he may want to show off that he's using foreign brand on their daughter , some parent won't like that and may find it even offensive! that is why I'm saying he should hide it in his pocket.
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by verifiedlegacy: 8:19pm On May 21, 2020
Chommybaby:

Then find it and tell me OK?? wink wink wink
seriously u want me make me lie

OK I just like the comment and fell inlove with writer. can this work??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

My Single Neighbor Came Knocking At My Door Late In The Night / 4 Things You Should Learn To Avoid About Women, If You Want To Live Long / Zimbabwean Man Invites Wife's Boyfriend To His House For Sex & He Came

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.