Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,486 members, 7,836,896 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:15 PM

Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time (68883 Views)

Meeting Your In-law For Marriage: 6 Questions To Expect As A Guy / Indian Man To Sue His Parents For Giving Birth To Him Without His Consent / Italy-Based Nigerian Man Jails His Parents For Sending Him Pics Of Fake House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by ehirosplusbiz(m): 4:22pm On May 21, 2020
I DIS AGREE WITH NO.6 , What if it's ATAMA SOUP ?

2 Likes

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by vertueptime: 4:23pm On May 21, 2020
Dont beg for money or airtime,
Dont brag or show ur riches/poverty

iamyemiakins:
SEVEN THINGS YOU SHOULD NOT DO WHEN MEETING YOUR PARTNER'S PARENTS FOR THE FIRST TIME.

This is a major step in a relationship, so the first impression can be a lasting impression, believe me when I say that.

1. PLAYING WITH YOUR PHONE

Avoid being on your phone, texting, checking your mail, facebooking or chatting. Sometimes most of us do it unknowingly. It is true some chicks do that just to keep themselves busy, but your spouse parents might feel dismissed and think you are not interested in getting to know them, especially, So avoid your phone at that first time.

2. LIE TO MAKE YOURSELF LOOK GOOD

Being fake instead of who you truly are is a mistake that can upset your partner's parents, and even your partner. Remember, they may get to know who you are later or in your absence, and it could really hurt your relationship. If you have told your partner the truth about you and your partner has accepted the kind of person you are, his/her parents should be able to do same. So there is no need of lying to attract their likeness.

3. BRINGING UP A CONTROVERSIAL TOPIC FOR DISCUSSION

Please don't bring up a topic like Religion, Politics, or s3x for discussion, even if you know that your believe are in line with your partner's parents. Some people still consider it bad for bringing up such topic for discussion before them. Concentrate on getting to know them more rather than those topics. If they keep discussing such topic among themselves, do more of listening.

4. DON'T GIVE LONG SPEECHES, MAKE YOUR SPEECHES BRIEF

Despite the fact that they are very interested in getting to know you, they also do not want to spend the entire time listening to your life story. Don't tell them stories about how your father divorced your mother when you were a teenager, how your community people burnt a woman to ashes for insulting her hubby, and all that. Make your speeches brief and interesting.

5. PUBLIC DISPLAY AFFECTION

Yes, public display of affection can be wonderful,but there is appropriate time for it. This does not mean you have to become cold, distant and robotic. Feel relaxed, interact with them gently, smile and be friendly, but make it neutral, rather than behaving as if you are desperate to have them as in laws.

6. DON'T FINISH ANY FOOD GIVEN TO YOU

Whether the food is small or plenty, and no matter how delicious it is. Never ask for alcohol if you are asked to make a choice of drink. Don't be carried away. This is very important.

7. DON'T PASS THE NIGHT THERE

No matter the persuation, don't pass the night in their house on your first day of visit.

You can also add yours...

https://m.facebook.com/103658061331200/posts/7-things-you-should-not-do-when-meeting-your-partners-parents-for-the-first-time/120618422968497/
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Nobody: 4:23pm On May 21, 2020
TheEffective:
shocked

Never give your INLAWs the impression that you lack the right purpose, vision, and the passion to succeed in life. A father will seldom hand his daughter to a man who does not know where he is going.

Richdad50 once said in one of his post that a man's selling point is not only how well he portrays his current state but his depiction of his future desired state.

100/100

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by 900warriorz: 4:23pm On May 21, 2020
Please, for parents in Abuja that would need a good Mathematics, English, Economics, Commerce and Accounting teacher for their wards this period, I am at your service. I'd only be available to take your wards 4-6 hours on Saturdays and Sundays as I work till late on week days.

Worry less about the Covid-19 pandemic as I could organise online classes or come to your location while observing the following:
1. Social distancing;
2. Use of the recommended face mask;
3. Always with my hand sanitizer.

I work as an Auditor with a private company but I am passionate about teaching and will still go back to teaching much later.

For university students studying Economics too, you are not left out as Economics is my area of strength. smiley

You can contact/whatsapp me on this number 08146928271. Trust me, your child wouldn't remain the same academically and morally after an encounter.
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Nobody: 4:24pm On May 21, 2020
Bola146:
Nice one, noted

Last rule: don't write nice one, noted
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by mechanics(m): 4:24pm On May 21, 2020
I disagree with #5 and #6
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by brownemmanuel43(m): 4:24pm On May 21, 2020
Op That your number 6 u lied, All this your rules is not applicable to everybody.
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Gracenetwork(m): 4:24pm On May 21, 2020
This lockdown don teach me so many things oooo, even the things when for take me decades to learn.... shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by sacajawea: 4:25pm On May 21, 2020
FVck you ☝️

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Dinho20(m): 4:25pm On May 21, 2020
"HMMMM"

LOVE IS BLIND.

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Nobody: 4:25pm On May 21, 2020
Circumstances and families varies, Just be urself with good behavior.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Nobody: 4:26pm On May 21, 2020
Lamanii22:
Never complain about the food given to you.... Just eat it with love...

Except you want me to vomit there

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by ehirosplusbiz(m): 4:27pm On May 21, 2020
And No.7 what if there's ORO like it do happen in most part of Lagos..
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Prenonjebose: 4:27pm On May 21, 2020
ieemmanuel:
Don't struggle with that meat that refuse to cut with your teeth grin grin
That's very funny but true.

2 Likes

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by 900warriorz: 4:28pm On May 21, 2020
grin grin grin grin Make I hear say I no finish the food given to me. It has nothing to do with why I was there.

I'd rather not eat at all than leave left overs mbok.

2 Likes

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Kosoco(m): 4:28pm On May 21, 2020
Lol like Galado Spider.... Bro if you have money” I mean enough money even if you mess they will say na In-law mess that it is a sign of good fortune.
Poloyanabo1:

With the lambo?

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by topafo203: 4:30pm On May 21, 2020
Pls my fellow nairalander, im not a scammer neither im i spamming, all i need is your help. My wife just delivered through CS.We have exhausted all what we had.Im a teacher in a private sch and we haven't bein paid since lockdown.The babe and the Mother are fine but we lack food. Pls bless us with whateva u have(Cash or foodstuff).God will bless u abundantly and i pray for whosoever lookin for d fruit of the womb, May God suprise u this year Amen.
0690833313-access
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Ishilove: 4:31pm On May 21, 2020
AmazingELixir:
grin

Op on what capacity are you bringing up these your Do Not ?

Well Op hear me and hear me good ...if you're marrying from a family where the woman is approaching menopause if you like carry your side chicks come, the lady's family will cares less

Secondly if you are marrying a lady that is so troublesome to the family...if you like carry 10 phones dey answer calls like mtn customer care, the girl's parent will look the other way and be praying you don't get to know about the girl and change your mind.

Lastly but not the least if you are a money bag you can do all those things you listed there and the calls of our inlaw!, our inlaw!! will fill the air even before the introduction proper.
Buhahahahahahahaha
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by zunnurain33(m): 4:31pm On May 21, 2020
Nice one. But I have issue with no 6. Be yourself, rule no 2. I will finish it, expecially when prepare my favorite pounded yam with egusi and drawsoup full of assorted.
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by FuckAllTheMODs: 4:31pm On May 21, 2020
OP, all these na for broke or not too rich partners.

If you're well loaded, in fact na banquet or buffet them run for you.

If dem serve me any alcoholic drink ehn, I will take it o.
As for the food part, if the food look tantalizing, I will do what I'm expected to do.
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Nobody: 4:32pm On May 21, 2020
Just be REAL anywhere you go, anybody that will like you no matter what will still like you....

*Good behavior speaks volumes
*You can't hide light in darkness

JUST BE REAL
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by chubinwa(m): 4:33pm On May 21, 2020
emmabest2000:
That no 7 eeeh
Whether it's your first time or your one million times, even after married their daughter and have kids , guys never ever sleep over at your in law's house... it's a disgrace to Alfa men grin

Meanwhile this Chinese girl below wan use laugh burst my belly cheesy cheesy cheesy
I totally disagree with you. our in-laws have passed the night in our house and we were very happy. he is also living up as in-law so no big deal. we chat and played like family.
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by KIA51(f): 4:33pm On May 21, 2020
I disagree with you on No: 7
You didn't put into consideration that sometimes they might live in a different state from both you and your partner; example: traveling to Port Harcourt from Abuja to meet with your partner's parents, are you saying that it is possible to leave same day and not spend the night there especially if you are a lady....?
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by CrazyOptimist: 4:34pm On May 21, 2020
I disagree with NUMBER 6 .

You must eat everything and lick your plate with your tongue even if the soup isn't sweet. After this, ask for more and even take away. Then you look the girl's dad in the eye and say, "chaii... daddy you are enjoying o". Then look at the mum and say, " Mummy this is the sweetest food I've ever eaten". My brother you don pass 80% already.

4 Likes

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Emma1Oj(m): 4:35pm On May 21, 2020
SweetCunt97:
Never use the toilet! No matter how the shit pushes, hold it until you get home.
Really!! y biko?
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Nobody: 4:36pm On May 21, 2020
If you're not happily married at least 10 years, please don't go about giving marriage advice.
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by lugo99(m): 4:36pm On May 21, 2020
Don't wear krazy jeans, blonde hair(pogba style), don't sagg ur shokoto,
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by PHijo(m): 4:38pm On May 21, 2020
No 6 highlights ALL that is wrong with Nigeria.

Fake lifestyle, wasteful culture
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Sterope(f): 4:38pm On May 21, 2020
If I like my food, I am finishing it. I might even ask for a second helping.
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Bojack(m): 4:39pm On May 21, 2020
Which one be say make person no finish food sad
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Jlow2: 4:40pm On May 21, 2020
after all that there is no guarantee

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

My Single Neighbor Came Knocking At My Door Late In The Night / Zimbabwean Man Invites Wife's Boyfriend To His House For Sex & He Came / 4 Things You Should Learn To Avoid About Women, If You Want To Live Long

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.