Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,315 members, 7,836,370 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:26 AM

Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time (68881 Views)

Meeting Your In-law For Marriage: 6 Questions To Expect As A Guy / Indian Man To Sue His Parents For Giving Birth To Him Without His Consent / Italy-Based Nigerian Man Jails His Parents For Sending Him Pics Of Fake House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by bkool7(m): 4:43pm On May 21, 2020
All these rules that did not get a single like on FB made FP here.
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 4:43pm On May 21, 2020
Just be yourself.

No time for pretense cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by brainhgeek(m): 4:45pm On May 21, 2020
That number 6 though, you should use your sense before you do it.
You need to know when to be perfectly modest and when left-overs are not tolerated.
The universal rule is 'Study your inlwas and use your common sense'
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by oyewale0001(m): 4:48pm On May 21, 2020
It is well.
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Greyworld: 4:48pm On May 21, 2020
Chinny024:
Don't wear skin revealing clothe.. Dress modestly and not Takpas!!!
please dear what's takpas?
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Zeuslord(m): 4:48pm On May 21, 2020
SweetCunt97:
Never use the toilet! No matter how the shit pushes, hold it until you get home.
especially those with very stubborn shit

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Dididrumz(m): 4:50pm On May 21, 2020
imohchard:

They've been married for 10 years now.... And the lady is now a brewery herself. grin grin grin grin wink wink wink

Chaiiiii..... grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Ebukawaylaid(m): 4:51pm On May 21, 2020
SweetCunt97:
Never use the toilet! No matter how the shit pushes, hold it until you get home.

Please, I want to know why....
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Candoit: 4:51pm On May 21, 2020
I will not only finish the food. I would chew the chicken bone with my hand.
Imagine!
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by ukojustin: 4:51pm On May 21, 2020
But all these rules will not reduce the amount of bride price they intend to give you

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Samiah33(m): 4:51pm On May 21, 2020
ehirosplusbiz:
I DIS AGREE WITH NO.6 , What if it's ATAMA SOUP ?
Dried Atama soup wey them use banga prepare with cat fish, o boi na to ask for second helping be that ooo
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by perdollar(m): 4:52pm On May 21, 2020
OP for number 6, u r OYO especially if it is okpa n fried rice, like Oliver twist, I wl ask for more
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Donwoosky: 4:52pm On May 21, 2020
The only thing you have to do when visiting your partners family is have money have money have too much money... Over.

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by emusmithyy(m): 4:54pm On May 21, 2020
Lamanii22:
Never complain about the food given to you.... Just eat it with love...

This one enh, the person that will has attitude problems.
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Nobody: 4:54pm On May 21, 2020
emmabest2000:
That no 7 eeeh
Whether it's your first time or your one million times, even after married their daughter and have kids , guys never ever sleep over at your in law's house... it's a disgrace to Alfa men grin

Meanwhile this Chinese girl below wan use laugh burst my belly cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Ebukawaylaid(m): 4:55pm On May 21, 2020
iamyemiakins:
SEVEN THINGS YOU SHOULD NOT DO WHEN MEETING YOUR PARTNER'S PARENTS FOR THE FIRST TIME.

7. DON'T PASS THE NIGHT THERE

No matter the persuation, don't pass the night in their house on your first day of visit.

Please, what if I take my fiancee to see my people from her base, which maybe far from her home, are you saying she should not sleep over? Can you please explain this point.
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by AristocraticMe: 4:55pm On May 21, 2020
AmazingELixir:
grin

Op on what capacity are you bringing up these your Do Not ?

Well Op hear me and hear me good ...if you're marrying from a family where the woman is approaching menopause if you like carry your side chicks come, the lady's family will cares less

Secondly if you are marrying a lady that is so troublesome to the family...if you like carry 10 phones dey answer calls like mtn customer care, the girl's parent will look the other way and be praying you don't get to know about the girl and change your mind.

Lastly but not the least if you are a money bag you can do all those things you listed there and the calls of our inlaw!, our inlaw!! will fill the air even before the introduction proper.
The last point is out of place. I think money is being over exaggerated. For instance if you like have millions that will not move my parents. Money cant buy everybody..... some will keep to their dignity and respect no matter what.

3 Likes

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Irabor1990(f): 4:56pm On May 21, 2020
Lol

imohchard:
lol

I DISAGREE strongly with 6.

I feel you should act normal with people you intend to be family with.

Reminds me of a friend of mine, was dating a lady from a very religious family.

On their first date, he took her to a spot. He ordered 2 bottles of Beer for himself. Babe was irritated.
She came back home and told her mom. Her mom, being a wise person, told her to marry that guy. Because he would never pretend or hide anything from her.

They've been married for 10 years now.... And the lady is now a brewery herself. grin grin grin grin wink wink wink
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by cray91(m): 4:58pm On May 21, 2020
keep decieving yourself, there's no rules for what you should and should not do.

Just make Sure You get money and with it appear rich as you are and trust me every other mistakes or shits would be overlooked

MONEY IS THE KOKO
iamyemiakins:
SEVEN THINGS YOU SHOULD NOT DO WHEN MEETING YOUR PARTNER'S PARENTS FOR THE FIRST TIME.

This is a major step in a relationship, so the first impression can be a lasting impression, believe me when I say that.

1. PLAYING WITH YOUR PHONE

Avoid being on your phone, texting, checking your mail, facebooking or chatting. Sometimes most of us do it unknowingly. It is true some chicks do that just to keep themselves busy, but your spouse parents might feel dismissed and think you are not interested in getting to know them, especially, So avoid your phone at that first time.

2. LIE TO MAKE YOURSELF LOOK GOOD

Being fake instead of who you truly are is a mistake that can upset your partner's parents, and even your partner. Remember, they may get to know who you are later or in your absence, and it could really hurt your relationship. If you have told your partner the truth about you and your partner has accepted the kind of person you are, his/her parents should be able to do same. So there is no need of lying to attract their likeness.

3. BRINGING UP A CONTROVERSIAL TOPIC FOR DISCUSSION

Please don't bring up a topic like Religion, Politics, or s3x for discussion, even if you know that your believe are in line with your partner's parents. Some people still consider it bad for bringing up such topic for discussion before them. Concentrate on getting to know them more rather than those topics. If they keep discussing such topic among themselves, do more of listening.

4. DON'T GIVE LONG SPEECHES, MAKE YOUR SPEECHES BRIEF

Despite the fact that they are very interested in getting to know you, they also do not want to spend the entire time listening to your life story. Don't tell them stories about how your father divorced your mother when you were a teenager, how your community people burnt a woman to ashes for insulting her hubby, and all that. Make your speeches brief and interesting.

5. PUBLIC DISPLAY AFFECTION

Yes, public display of affection can be wonderful,but there is appropriate time for it. This does not mean you have to become cold, distant and robotic. Feel relaxed, interact with them gently, smile and be friendly, but make it neutral, rather than behaving as if you are desperate to have them as in laws.

6. DON'T FINISH ANY FOOD GIVEN TO YOU

Whether the food is small or plenty, and no matter how delicious it is. Never ask for alcohol if you are asked to make a choice of drink. Don't be carried away. This is very important.

No matter the persuation, don't pass the night in their house on your first day of visit.

You can also add yours...

https://m.facebook.com/103658061331200/posts/7-things-you-should-not-do-when-meeting-your-partners-parents-for-the-first-time/120618422968497/
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by jamesfadairo(m): 4:58pm On May 21, 2020
imohchard:
lol

I'm sorry, this is a bad testimony!

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Olarewaju89: 5:00pm On May 21, 2020
OK. Thanks
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Nobody: 5:01pm On May 21, 2020
Never ask for alcohol if you are asked to make a choice of drink

Smh! Why? I go ask for whiskey. If dem no get, I go give them money to go buy come.

Nonsense and inlaw grin grin

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Medley02(m): 5:02pm On May 21, 2020
Op.. That your #6 no be here oh.. Anyways, on others, I give you � up
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by MightySirKay(m): 5:02pm On May 21, 2020
Poloyanabo1:

With the lambo?
Yes and everything you have (properties, assets and cash)
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by bilulu(m): 5:03pm On May 21, 2020
SweetCunt97:
Why?
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by djfabmusik(m): 5:05pm On May 21, 2020
Although you made a good point, but with money nobody cares about all you wrote here, ask dangote, otedola etc.
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Nobody: 5:06pm On May 21, 2020
GboyegaD:
All this too many rules kwa. There are many things to bother about than trying to fit into a box.
Single guys like me has nothing to worry about.
Marriage wahala dey go your lane jeje
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by SirPGh: 5:07pm On May 21, 2020
What if I was served Alomo Bitters? It will be hard!!
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by Vatod(m): 5:10pm On May 21, 2020
uncleFola:
Oga, u see that your No 6 ehn..... I can try not to finish any food given to me..... but make person come offer me some over chilled Green bottles or Vodka with ice make I come say No..... ah e go hard small o.
We dey dere together!!!
Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by openmine(m): 5:10pm On May 21, 2020
Greatzeus:
You could just drive there with your Lamborghini,end of discussion grin
grin grin grin grin

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by naija4life247: 5:14pm On May 21, 2020
imohchard:
lol

I feel you should act normal with people you intend to be family with.

Reminds me of a friend of mine, was dating a lady from a very religious family.

On their first date, he took her to a spot. He ordered 2 bottles of Beer for himself. Babe was irritated.
She came back home and told her mom. Her mom, being a wise person, told her to marry that guy. Because he would never pretend or hide anything from her.

They've been married for 10 years now.... And the lady is now a brewery herself . grin grin grin grin wink wink wink

You friend is going straight to hell for turning a "child of God" and daughter of righteous family into an unrepentant drunk embarassed embarassed

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Not Do When Meeting Your Partner's Parents For The First Time by equity1(m): 5:15pm On May 21, 2020
iamyemiakins:

This is a major step in a relationship, so the first impression can be a lasting impression, believe me when I say that.

1. PLAYING WITH YOUR PHONE

Avoid being on your phone, texting, checking your mail, facebooking or chatting. Sometimes most of us do it unknowingly. It is true some chicks do that just to keep themselves busy, but your spouse parents might feel dismissed and think you are not interested in getting to know them, especially, So avoid your phone at that first time.

2. LIE TO MAKE YOURSELF LOOK GOOD

Being fake instead of who you truly are is a mistake that can upset your partner's parents, and even your partner. Remember, they may get to know who you are later or in your absence, and it could really hurt your relationship. If you have told your partner the truth about you and your partner has accepted the kind of person you are, his/her parents should be able to do same. So there is no need of lying to attract their likeness.

3. BRINGING UP A CONTROVERSIAL TOPIC FOR DISCUSSION

Please don't bring up a topic like Religion, Politics, or s3x for discussion, even if you know that your believe are in line with your partner's parents. Some people still consider it bad for bringing up such topic for discussion before them. Concentrate on getting to know them more rather than those topics. If they keep discussing such topic among themselves, do more of listening.

4. DON'T GIVE LONG SPEECHES, MAKE YOUR SPEECHES BRIEF

Despite the fact that they are very interested in getting to know you, they also do not want to spend the entire time listening to your life story. Don't tell them stories about how your father divorced your mother when you were a teenager, how your community people burnt a woman to ashes for insulting her hubby, and all that. Make your speeches brief and interesting.

5. PUBLIC DISPLAY AFFECTION

Yes, public display of affection can be wonderful,but there is appropriate time for it. This does not mean you have to become cold, distant and robotic. Feel relaxed, interact with them gently, smile and be friendly, but make it neutral, rather than behaving as if you are desperate to have them as in laws.

6. DON'T FINISH ANY FOOD GIVEN TO YOU

Whether the food is small or plenty, and no matter how delicious it is. Never ask for alcohol if you are asked to make a choice of drink. Don't be carried away. This is very important.

You can also add yours...

https://m.facebook.com/103658061331200/posts/7-things-you-should-not-do-when-meeting-your-partners-parents-for-the-first-time/120618422968497/
Nice write up. but you have to remove no 6 . wasting of food is bad, it also means that he or she is pretending which also bad.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

My Single Neighbor Came Knocking At My Door Late In The Night / Zimbabwean Man Invites Wife's Boyfriend To His House For Sex & He Came / 4 Things You Should Learn To Avoid About Women, If You Want To Live Long

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.