Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,191 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:07 AM

Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria (37262 Views)

Total Sharia Implementation : APC And Buhari Using Kaduna As a "Test Ground" / Buhari Calls For A Total Sharia In Nigeria (Published 2001) / Buhari Called For Total Sharia In Nigeria In 2001 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by yeswecan(m): 4:01pm On Jan 15, 2011
frosbel:

@Beaf

I have known since eons that Buhari has a Sharia agenda for the country.

Remember operation discipline for all about a decade ago ?  My reasoning is that anyone who intends to rule by force is a great danger to society at large.

My guess is he will never win.

You are 100% right. His operation discipline was a way to pushing an Islamic agenda - now why would someone vote for such? tell me

@safari SA  

I await your response and how you intend to twist this . . . this is NL my friend.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by Akhenaten: 4:02pm On Jan 15, 2011
Any person who supports Sharia is not fit to be president of all Nigerians. angry
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by yeswecan(m): 4:05pm On Jan 15, 2011
Akhenaten:

Any person who supports Sharia is not fit to be president of all Nigerians. angry

Thanks my brother . . In a mixed country as ours where religion have always been an issue i wonder why anyone would support this fundamentalist.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by Akhenaten: 4:10pm On Jan 15, 2011
yeswecan:

Thanks my brother . . In a mixed country as ours where religion have always been an issue i wonder why anyone would support this fundamentalist.

It is time for us to take religion out of politics. Nigeria is a secular nation. When you mix religion into the mix, that is very bad. In a pluralist society, people need to respect each other's religious view. Showing favoritism to a particular religion is quite alarming for me. Buhari will never get my support.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by cap28: 4:13pm On Jan 15, 2011
SapeleGuy:

Too many Nigerian lives have perished for the incompetence of these buffoons.
This man is clearly a fundamentalist and will turn Nigeria into a pariah nation if allowed to return.  

This coupist - the harbinger of our economic austerity and doom since 1983 must be encouraged  to eat like a glutton from the pot of electoral humiliation every 4 years as penance for truncating the second republic.  He had his chance to rescue Nigeria from 'imminent collapse' - and quite frankly he buggered it up.

the harbinger of nigeria's economic austerity after 1983 was not Buhari,  but the corrupt second republic under Shagari who squandered billions in oil revenue,  their economic mismanagement of the nigerian economy in collaboration with corrupt western nations, coupled with falling oil prices on the world market placed nigeria in a vulnerable position and enabled the US run IMF to step in with the dreaded SAP programmes.

Buhari actually rejected SAP and the IMF loans and instead tried to focus on paying off our debt  without restructuring the economy, his failure to fall into line with america's neo liberal economic policies placed him on a collision course with the west which eventually led to him being overthrown by Babangida - a US backed puppet.

If you are looking for who to blame for the austerity in nigeria you should be blaming the second republic under Shagari, Babangida and the US govt, Shagari and his cronies were at the helm of affairs during the economic collapse, the US govt recommended the implementation of the austerity measures and Babangida implemented them.  

Jonathan will ensure that nigerians are condemned to a life of infinite suffering and poverty just like Babangida did in the 80s.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:17pm On Jan 15, 2011
cap28:

the harbinger of nigeria's economic austerity after 1983 was not Buhari,  but the corrupt second republic under Shagari who squandered billions in oil revenue,  their economic mismanagement of the nigerian economy in collaboration with corrupt western nations, coupled with falling oil prices on the world market placed nigeria in a vulnerable position and enabled the US run IMF to step in with the dreaded SAP programmes.

Buhari actually rejected SAP and the IMF loans and instead tried to focus on paying off our debt  without restructuring the economy, his failure to fall into line with america's neo liberal economic policies placed him on a collision course with the west which eventually led to him being overthrown by Babangida - a US backed puppet.

If you are looking for who to blame for the austerity in nigeria you should be blaming the second republic under Shagari, Babangida and the US govt, Shagari and his cronies were at the helm of affairs during the economic collapse, the US govt recommended the implementation of the austerity measures and Babangida implemented them.  

Jonathan will ensure that nigerians are condemned to a life of infinite suffering and poverty just like Babangida did in the 80s.

Have you heard that saying " cannot see the wood from the trees " grin
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by safariSA: 4:19pm On Jan 15, 2011
@sapeleguy,

If you tell me you were there or share with me a video clip where Buhari called for Sharia Implementation in Nigeria, I can change my position. I don't believe hearsay, bro.

I have been in and out of media and fortunately to be in Thisday during the 2007 elections. I know how corrupt the media has become and how the elite have used it to damage people's sense of reasoning. I once wrote a report on Obong Victor Attah's declaration in 2007 and my editor cancelled because it was unfriendly to his friend!

Wait in the coming days, and you will see Buhari's 'fundamentalism' fighting for space in the media in the coming days. but people like me look at the man when he speaks, consistency of his message since 2003, public records of his time in government and PTF, and the fact that Nigeria cannot be a religious state, even if the pope heads the country.

@yeswecan and frosbel

You are the first breed I will encounter accusing Buhari for WAI. Even his biggest critics can't use this against him. Will Nigerians in Lagos ever obey traffic light in Lagos if we dont have lasma? Force was the name of the game then, not now, and Buhari is wise @ 69 to know force is out of the question. And I dont twist your position, I challenge it.

@ and others

Just to let you know that a lot of people, including myself (who used to live in that fundamentalism brainwash) are beginning to see the truth. Go to pages of the newspapers as it will soon happen, with this image slander of Buhari, and it will re-inforce the belief now that nobody could blame this man for anything corrupt or inefficient; hence they tagged him a fundamentalist. we shall see in the coming days.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by cap28: 4:24pm On Jan 15, 2011
frosbel:

Have you heard that saying " cannot see the wood from the trees " grin

yes i have, but can you elaborate kind sir
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by cap28: 4:29pm On Jan 15, 2011
Akhenaten:

any person who supports corruption is not fit to be nigeria's president
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by johndoe200: 4:30pm On Jan 15, 2011
Buhari is a coup plotting dinosaur. If he is also a fundamentalist intent on implementing sharia it would not surprise me.

The issue that does surprise me is how people can believe that a party like CPC which has not won any election is going to unseat the PDP. I mean seriously, this is naive in the extreme. People seem to discount the effect of party affiliation in the choice of president.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by SapeleGuy: 4:34pm On Jan 15, 2011
safari SA:

@Sapeleguy

He had the chance for how many years? A fundamentalist you said? So educated people can still be fooled by fundametalism?

How many dead bodies do you need to count before you realise that uneducated or educated doesn't matter,  misguided and impressionable people are fooled everyday especially when ethnicity and religion are thrown into the mix. Remember Jos ?

safari SA:

I appreciate your poetic, big-word contribution but the people who gave him 19 million votes in 2 elections think otherwise. And for me as a christian, I stand with an incorruptible muslim than a corrupt christian.

We are a secular nation and consequently imported or indigenous religions have no place in our government. Anybody who promotes their religion in government should be booted out.

safari SA:

And what makes you a scholar? for mentioning aausterity(Shagari) and doom (babangida's acceptance of IMF loan & SAP which Buhari rejected)? cant see anything brilliant in your twisting of history. What is wrong with auterity? South Korea closed it borders for decades and implemented austerity measures, only to open the borders at seoul '88 olympics for the world to behold the beauty.

Dem swear for you abi you no like betta ting? What is wrong with austerity I am still waiting for the beauty that your idol Buhari bequeathed to the nation, and please don't say War Against Indiscipline. Furthermore the whole country knew that Buhari danced whilst Idiagbon played the music.
So please don't make him out to be some policy genius.

safari SA:

Buhari, the coupist, yes, what about sankara, muritala mohammed, jerry rawlings, the coupists? being tagged a coupist is not bad, it is the intention for planning the coup that determines the position to place the coup plotters. And Buhari belongs to the people with the right intentions. which 2nd republic? is it that same one that a politician in government said we are not yet poor because he has not seen anybody eaten from the gutter?

Why una no dey like to copy betta thing? For the avoidance of doubt, a soldiers place is in the barracks or the warfront and not playing dollyhouse in Aso Rock.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by cap28: 4:40pm On Jan 15, 2011
safari SA:

@sapeleguy,

@yeswecan and frosbel

You are the first breed I will encounter accusing Buhari for WAI. Even his biggest critics can't use this against him. Will Nigerians in Lagos ever obey traffic light in Lagos if we dont have lasma? Force was the name of the game then, not now, and Buhari is wise @ 69 to know force is out of the question. And I dont twist your position, I challenge it.

There is nothing wrong with using force if you are able to provide the people of your nation with a decent standard of living - Saddam ruled over his people with an iron fist but during his tenure his people enjoyed one of the highest standards of living in the arab world.

OBJ used force to get rid of his political opponents and crush the niger delta militants but reduced the living standards of the average nigerian to a worse state than it was in before he was placed in office.

The chinese communist party operates a notoriously poor human rights track record but the chinese people's living standards are well above those of even many european nations.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by yeswecan(m): 4:42pm On Jan 15, 2011
@cap28

Your argument is limited to economics and i suspect you endorsed Buhari because you know he will never relegate economic questions to the west for answers. I also think so and i know Gej's govt will be a disaster in this sense.  Jonathan is apparently a western puppet - this best Nigeria will ever seen. I understand this argument but our problem transcend just economics, i hope you can see beyond economic terms.  Gej is a bad choice, but we are in a situation where there are only bad and worst choices.

@safari SA

Are you saying it is alright for Buhari to make such silly statements?  or you think those statements are not reflection of what he really is? i do not think so.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by yeswecan(m): 4:46pm On Jan 15, 2011
cap28:

There is nothing wrong with using force if you are able to provide the people of your nation with a decent standard of living - Saddam ruled over his people with an iron fist but during his tenure his people enjoyed one of the highest standards of living in the arab world.

OBJ used force to get rid of his political opponents and crush the niger delta militants but reduced the living standards of the average nigerian to a worse state than it was in before he was placed in office.

The chinese communist party operates a notoriously poor human rights track record but the chinese people's living standards are well above those of even many european nations.

I once thesis-ed on democracy been a messy process of getting things done as one problem with Africa. The question isn't the idea of force itself, its rather what are the people been forced to do? and i do not think imposing an islamic view on a mixed country is such a good one. Iraq is relatively an Islamic nation - so don't compare.

If the force is imposed for economic good backed not by religions sentiment - then am game.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by Akhenaten: 4:51pm On Jan 15, 2011
cap28:

any person who supports corruption is not fit to be nigeria's president

I'll take corruption over religious fanaticism. Pick your poison my friend.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by safariSA: 4:52pm On Jan 15, 2011
@Sapeleguy,

Anybody wey swear for me dey bless me.

So Buhari promoted religion in his government?

Buhari had an unfinished business truncated by a drug lord (IBB) who was about getting his ass kicked

On Idiagbon, Does power allow a deputy, servant to outshine his master? Idiagbon was the face of the government because Buhari allowed it. How many people saw Buhari in Public while heading PTF, yet we saw hospitals, roads getting constructed and rehabilitated. he is not a show man like GEJ, who does little but rushed to facebook to heap praise on himself.

In fact I am ready to cut my whole story short by asking one question and i ask with all sincerity

Can anybody post a video where Buhari asked for the implementation of Sharia in Nigeria?
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by redsun(m): 5:07pm On Jan 15, 2011
X d sun god.Corruption breeds religious fanatism,it breeds all ills.Gej is a filthy individual,he can't bring realisticchange
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by Akhenaten: 5:09pm On Jan 15, 2011
redsun:

X d sun god.Corruption breeds religious fanatism,it breeds all ills.Gej is a filthy individual,he can't bring realisticchange

To be honest, I feel that Nigeria needs to be purged of all corrupting influences. I think we are due time for a French style revolution. Heads need to roll. Politicians from all corners of Nigeria. Evil influences within society. All of them need to be purge of their corrupting influences. One day it will happen. And when a revolution does happen in Nigeria, it will be very bloody.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by Jakumo(m): 5:11pm On Jan 15, 2011
To all you wishful thinkers and Islamic Sharia amputation "law" boosters in the house, rest assured that Ayatollah Buhari will FAIL in ALL he does in life.  He is a cursed, evil man with no redeeming value beyond that of fertilizer for the grateful soil when he kicks the bucket, which hopefully won't be too long now, given the massive psychological blow he is about to suffer when the results of Nigeria's next presidential election are collated to confirm Jonathan Goodluck's decisive, sweeping victory.

[size=18pt]Nigeria will NEVER AGAIN be ruled by a fundamentalist monkey.   Those days are long gone, and will NEVER reccur[/size].
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by yeswecan(m): 5:13pm On Jan 15, 2011
Buhari chaired the lunching of a Sharia book once in Sokoto - lets elaborate on that, no one would chair the launching of a book that promotes a course he disagrees with. This is common sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JITI0dRDjD4 from 3.50 he agreed to head the lunch of a sharia book. HMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by cap28: 5:14pm On Jan 15, 2011
yeswecan:

@cap28

Your argument is limited to economics and i suspect you endorsed Buhari because you know he will never relegate economic questions to the west for answers. I also think so and i know Gej's govt will be a disaster in this sense.  Jonathan is apparently a western puppet - this best Nigeria will ever seen. I understand this argument but our problem transcend just economics, i hope you can see beyond economic terms.  Gej is a bad choice, but we are in a situation where there are only bad and worst choices.

Well economics is the lynch pin of a stable govt, if you can't get the economy right - i see no reason why you should be in office in the first place.  All of nigeria's woes stem from economic mismanagement and no administration since 1983 has been able to repair the damage created during the second republic.  
Nigeria is a multiethnic country and we need a leader who can steer clear of ethnic or religious sentiments, however i still say that i would back Buhari rather than Jonathan because i beleive that Buhari despite his pro islamic leanings will be be less tolerant of corruption and will limit the west's economic and political influence in nigeria.

YOu sound as if you dont have much confidence in Jonathan and yet you are willing to run the risk of backing a man who has done nothing since he assumed office but bow down before western imperialist predators.

Ideally a younger man with  Buhari's self discipline, honesty and uncompromising stance on corruption would be best for nigeria.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by SapeleGuy: 5:15pm On Jan 15, 2011
safari SA:

@Sapeleguy,

Anybody wey swear for me dey bless me.

So Buhari promoted religion in his government?

Buhari had an unfinished business truncated by a drug lord (IBB) who was about getting his backside kicked

On Idiagbon, Does power allow a deputy, servant to outshine his master? Idiagbon was the face of the government because Buhari allowed it. How many people saw Buhari in Public while heading PTF, yet we saw hospitals, roads getting constructed and rehabilitated. he is not a show man like GEJ, who does little but rushed to facebook to heap praise on himself.

In fact I am ready to cut my whole story short by asking one question and i ask with all sincerity

Can anybody post a video where Buhari asked for the implementation of Sharia in Nigeria?

No need for video. A respected publication has attributed fundamentalist quotes to his person, we live in a volatile country. Why has he not challenged these claims as libelous in a competent court of law?  I will give you a clue, the truth is not libel.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by safariSA: 5:20pm On Jan 15, 2011
@Sapele

@ over 60 years and with two court cases that ended up at the supreme court, both spanning 5 years, he is too wise to go to court on a matter that is of no issue to him. he can't join issues with daft people, he can only explained his position, which he has done in several interviews. but christian fundamentalists will not let him be! Haba, look for another thing.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by hercules07: 5:33pm On Jan 15, 2011
@Safari SA

Please do not waste your time on these people, they have made up their minds that Buhari is a fundamentalist and nothing you say will change their stance, let us just ask for and work towards a free and fair elections. Apparently it is better that we continue to be mirred in corruption than vote in someone who will fight it.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by Wumine(f): 5:44pm On Jan 15, 2011
ode remo
Re: Buhari Calls For 'total' Sharia In Nigeria
« #2 on: Today at 12:51:49 PM »

beaf common grow up that article was written in 2001.
dont come as if yor man is saint jonathan.

Even if it was written 100 yrs ago, the fact still remains that it was written. Even without the article i was never going to vote for Buhari. Jonathan never called himself a saint, but he is definitely a better candidate IMO
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by cap28: 5:45pm On Jan 15, 2011
yeswecan:

I once thesis-ed on democracy been a messy process of getting things done as one problem with Africa. The question isn't the idea of force itself, its rather what are the people been forced to do? and i do not think imposing an islamic view on a mixed country is such a good one. Iraq is relatively an Islamic nation - so don't compare.

If the force is imposed for economic good backed not by religions sentiment - then am game.

hmm i see what you mean, but dont you think we should give Buhari the benefit of the doubt rather than become judge, jury and executioner - do we have it on record that he advocated the imposition of sharia law on non muslims  in nigeria?
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by paddyman(m): 5:56pm On Jan 15, 2011
Buhari maybe a weaker leader than GEJ. Reason: IBB was able to overthrow his regime only when Idiagbon was on pilgrimage to mecca. And it was even a palace coup at that. The man fell when Idiagbon was not around to protect his regime. He looks physically tough, though.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jan 15, 2011
I have done a [img]http://2.bp..com/_9pOceLlcy4E/TD534yFKckI/AAAAAAAAAvk/lpTGSaAYr1Q/s400/uturn.png[/img]

I have done some more research about Buharis Sharia stance.

Appears that we have all been misled.

I think if he wins it might not be so bad for the country
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by hercules07: 6:02pm On Jan 15, 2011
@paddyman

Was it also Idiagbon that dealt with Chad, the GOCs planned the coup and there was nothing that Idiagbon could do even if he was around.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by yeswecan(m): 6:14pm On Jan 15, 2011
cap28:

hmm i see what you mean, but dont you think we should give Buhari the benefit of the doubt rather than become judge, jury and executioner - do we have it on record that he advocated the imposition of sharia law on non muslims  in nigeria?

Don't you think Ribadu would do better?
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by safariSA: 7:03pm On Jan 15, 2011
@Frosbel

You have just rewarded my 6 hrs on internet on a weekend with your U turn on Buhari! I am more happy because i know you have already made a post not favouring him before and you had done more research. this is what people like yeswecan, jakumo, beaf are too lazy to do!

“Anybody who called Buhari a religious bigot is stupid. Anybody who said Buhari gained popularity among muslims because of the purported statement he made in favour of Iraq during the USA/Iraq war is out of his mind. I challenge that person to come up with the tape recorder or video coverage where he made such a statement. Buhari himself has denied this allegation over and over again but you journalists, sometimes, are mischievous. They said he spoke in Hausa. Let that person come up with that quotation,” he challenged.

Buhari, he said, has been a governor in the North-East, now comprising six states of the federation; a commander in various formations of the military; Director of Supply and Transport, Adjutant-General; Quarter-Master General of the Army; GOC Commanding, Personnel Commander of Nigeria Troops for 30 months during the civil war. He was also platoon Commander during the UN Operation in the Congo in the ’60s. “All these troops had both muslim and christians. He was Minister of Petroleum Resources. When he was minister, he was the only muslim in the ministry. Even the gateman was a christian. Buhari worked in harmony with them. Buhari is not a religious bigot and he will never be one; http://thenewsafrica.com/2010/09/20/the-buhari-challenge/
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by Rhino5dm: 7:24pm On Jan 15, 2011
what a way to go fella! after mitulating that bi-sexual nutcase atiku with a mortal and unrecourvable blow. your next target is buhari. well in as much as i hate PDP i still prefer GEJ than any of those old fo.o.ls.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

NIMC Adopts Booking System For NIN Enrolment, Issues Fresh Guidelines / "I Will Kill Nnamdi Kanu" - Asari Dokubo, Threatens To Attack Him In Court / Katsina Emir: "I Will Give My Blood To Protect Igbos"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.