Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,726 members, 7,816,987 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:15 PM

Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria (37242 Views)

Total Sharia Implementation : APC And Buhari Using Kaduna As a "Test Ground" / Buhari Calls For A Total Sharia In Nigeria (Published 2001) / Buhari Called For Total Sharia In Nigeria In 2001 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by yuzedo: 12:44am On Jan 17, 2011
I swear, God dey see all our hearts, He knows who's motivated by tribal, pecuniary, hedonistic, etc gains in promoting stoogie boy, As for Oyb, Honeric, Gen Buhari, Frosbell, and all who have posted in favor of TRUTH, may (y)our children and us not suffer for the foolishness of other selfish, ignorant yes-men, men-friday, dummies who dont know ish bout politics, and cant tell their butts from their elbows, Vote PDP OOO!! Bloody F00ls!!!! angry angry angry
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:46am On Jan 17, 2011
Beaf:

Its in the OP actually:

http://www.news24.com/xArchive/Archive/Calls-for-total-Sharia-in-Nigeria-20010827

Here's another as well:

http://www.libertymagazine.org/index.php?id=1116

Hmm, never saw that before. If it is indeed true, I have a problem with that diabolical attitude.

By all means impose Sharia in the North, but to suggest that the entire country adopt or adapt to Sharia principles borders on sheer madness or blinded fanaticism.

If such a plan is put to fruition we might as well kiss Nigeria goodbye and get ready for decades of Civil War.

Still we have not heard him say it verbally.  undecided   Is it on record either through radio or video that he made such a statement.  ?

Lets wait and see
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:47am On Jan 17, 2011
NewsMonste:

@OYB

About Jonathan kneeling before Pastor Adeboye. For the records, am Catholic, so no biases here.

You see there is a difference between one being religious faithful and another being a religious fanatic. One respects the other's rights live freely with his beliefs, another insists you must live by his creed.

I would want a Staunch muslim over a Christian, if he would respect the rights of others, but I would prefer an atheist and infidel to a Christian or Moslem that would not respect the right another has.

Please, let us tolerate one another.

you are missing the point

the game goes both ways

just as buhari has been accused of being a sharia evangelist and religious bigot etal

adeboye has been lambasted on nairaland times without number, oddly enough, by several of the same people lampooning buhari.

the bible says something about the log in your eye

i find it odd that gej's supporters have been silent about their hero's looking for a channel to God through a charlatan who says he drove his car on prayer, among other things .

maybe nigerians not in redeemed should also be scared. two can play that game.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by Beaf: 12:50am On Jan 17, 2011
Jon.Bee:

@beaf & co
Let me school you to the game.
All Muslims belief in the Sharia
It is the Quranic laws & jurispudences
By castigating Buhari on Sharia, you are insulting their religion esp. when you & your cohorts label him a terrorist on the basis of this
So becareful not to jeopardize GEJ by alienating a demography critical to April poll
If you don't know, now you know!

Dude, your logic is twisted.
I do not care if Buhari's religion is Christianity, Islam or anything else. The simple fact is that he has no right to force it on those who do not share his belief, or do you not think Buhari's stance alienates people like me who are the vast majority of Nigerians? Anyone who wishes to be president must be tolerant, it is that simple.
Forget about any campaign and face reality.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by CrudeOil2(m): 12:53am On Jan 17, 2011
Why did this thread make the front page of Nairaland?
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by Beaf: 12:58am On Jan 17, 2011
frosbel:

Hmm, never saw that before. If it is indeed true, I have a problem with that diabolical attitude.

By all means impose Sharia in the North, but to suggest that the entire country adopt or adapt to Sharia principles borders on sheer madness or blinded fanaticism.

If such a plan is put to fruition we might as well kiss Nigeria goodbye and get ready for decades of Civil War.

Still we have not heard him say it verbally. undecided Is it on record either through radio or video that he made such a statement. ?

Lets wait and see

The meeting wasn't covered on radio or video to the best of my knowledge, and if it was, we must ask why in all these years, Buhari has not wheeled out that evidence in his favour. Thats a darn good question, don't you think?
If you ask me, it would be in Buhari's favour to burn and destroy every last trace of such evidence.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by NewsMonste(m): 1:05am On Jan 17, 2011
you are missing the point

the game goes both ways

just as buhari has been accused of being a sharia evangelist and religious bigot etal

adeboye has been lambasted on nairaland times without number, oddly enough, by several of the same people lampooning buhari.

the bible says something about the log in your eye

i find it odd that gej's supporters have been silent about their hero's looking for a channel to God through a charlatan who says he drove his car on prayer, among other things .

maybe nigerians not in redeemed should also be scared. two can play that game.

You are the one missing the point here. It is not about the religious beliefs of both leaders. I go to church not because I can vouch for the libido or virtue of the priest. That is for him and God. The issue here is that Jonathan has never called on anyone to take a stand against another on the basis of religion. Buhari has. For Christ's sake you are making me look like a Jonathan apologist, which am far from.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by IbrahimB: 1:14am On Jan 17, 2011
Beaf:

Dude, your logic is twisted.
I do not care if Buhari's religion is Christianity, Islam or anything else. The simple fact is that he has no right to force it on those who do not share his belief, or do you not think Buhari's stance alienates people like me who are the vast majority of Nigerians? Anyone who wishes to be president must be tolerant, it is that simple.
Forget about any campaign and face reality.

He certainly has no right to enforce it on people who do not share his beliefs - that, I agree with you.

And unless he sends soldiers to the House of Assembly I don't see how in the world that is possible.

It'll be naive and stupid of him to consider such an action. He'll be kicked out in no time.

If the lecture was in Hausa, it's quite possible his meaning was altered in translation.

If he was such a bigot why didn't he consider such action when he was a military head of state?

You are free to vote for GEJ and I believe you're convinced he's the best for the country. It's very unlikely that the people who
want to vote for Buhari will be influenced by this 2001 article that you posted.

To each his own.

My prayer is that the elections are peaceful and the wishes of the masses are respected.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by honeric01(m): 1:18am On Jan 17, 2011
Beaf:

The meeting wasn't covered on radio or video to the best of my knowledge, and if it was, we must ask why in all these years, Buhari has not wheeled out that evidence in his favour. Thats a darn good question, don't you think?
If you ask me, it would be in Buhari's favour to burn and destroy every last trace of such evidence.

YOU'RE A BLOODY LIAR, gen Buhari already posted the video on this thread, stop lying,  he even posted where Buhari himself debunked your claims.

I hate liars who're hell bent on destroying a whole country just because of their pockets.

It's money, you can have it but once you're gone, you won't have any to spend in hell (a place for liars)

See video below of Buhari putting record straight:
http://www.saharareporters.com/video/general-muhammed-buhari-speaks
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by Beaf: 1:50am On Jan 17, 2011
^
So to you, that is a video of the sharia council meeting? Wonders! grin
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by gangar(m): 1:52am On Jan 17, 2011
share lies. He never said any such thing. There is no way Buhari or any leader in Nigeria to Sugest. This is smear campaign angry
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by Anybaba: 1:53am On Jan 17, 2011
10 YEARS AFTER, BUHARI SAYS ABACHA DID NOT STEAL, MR INCORRUPTIBLE INDEED !!!

[b]Buhari on Abacha:

[The allegations against Abacha are] “baseless”…ten years after Abacha, those allegations remain unproven because of lack of facts”,

[/b]http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=113628

BUHARI CAN ONLY FOOL FOOLS.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by gangar(m): 1:56am On Jan 17, 2011
your article was ten years ago. Read an an interview with him on what happened,

I leave you guys with the excerpts from a buhari interview below

Question: General, I hope you’re aware that some years ago there was a controversy around a statement credited to you somewhere in Sokoto state in which you are reported to have said that Muslims should vote for Muslims. Now whether you were misquoted or not, whether you were misrepresented or not, that has caused some anxiety and some concern, understandably, to some Christians in the south of the country, in the Middle Belt, even in the north itself. So how do you intend to sell your candidacy to those people who have perceived you wrongly or rightly as a sectional candidate who is popular in the North because he is seen as the champion of Islam and Sharia? How do you propose to appeal to people who are concerned legitimately and anxious about you being a president who will implement Sharia nationally or who will limit the rights of Christians and promote the interest of Muslims? I want you to speak to those people.

General Buhari: Well, that perception remains. I know in 2003 I wrote to many Bishops and I could recall I visited (inaudible) in 2003 and 2007. As you said, it happened in Sokoto in 2000 before I participated in elections. The person who reported me by tribe is a Yoruba man, by religion a Muslim. He was not in Sokoto and does not understand Hausa, maybe he still doesn’t. How he got the story I don’t know. And the comment I made was that people in Sokoto know their people, that when the ban on politics is lifted they should choose the people that will represent them responsibly. This is common sense: if someone aspires to rule this country, he cannot afford to offend even pagans or even atheists—those who don’t even believe in God. These are the people that will vote. How can I say Muslims should not vote for Christians? Then do I expect Christians to vote me, a Muslim? I wrote to the Bishops. I explained to them, but I think, as you mentioned, perception, people hold on to their perception. Even the church leaders were careful to explain to their flock that there is no way any leader will, at the federal level, antagonize any of the religions. So, I wrote to the Bishops to explain but I am still very surprised that the perception remains.

So there is nothing I can do about it, but I will continue to explain my position. And I have backed it by facts that I have served the country’s military for 25 years. I did all the command and staff work, as a platoon commander to General Officer Commanding and the only still surviving officers that commanded three of the four commands in the Nigerian Army. And the Nigerian Army is about 75% Christian and nobody has ever said I took a decision against anybody because of his religion or his tribe. There are other tribes in the whole command. So, if for politically it sticks that I don’t like Christians, well it is very very unfortunate, but my performance in office at all stages has portrayed me as an impartial person, and I have believe that whoever is still bringing that case up, for whatever vote, will definitely fail in a free and fair election. The question of me being a sharia advocate and a hater of Christians has never happened and it will certainly fail.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by Beaf: 1:57am On Jan 17, 2011
gangar:

your article was ten years ago. Read an an interview with him on what happened,

I leave you guys with the excerpts from a buhari interview below

Question: General, I hope you’re aware that some years ago there was a controversy around a statement credited to you somewhere in Sokoto state in which you are reported to have said that Muslims should vote for Muslims. Now whether you were misquoted or not, whether you were misrepresented or not, that has caused some anxiety and some concern, understandably, to some Christians in the south of the country, in the Middle Belt, even in the north itself. So how do you intend to sell your candidacy to those people who have perceived you wrongly or rightly as a sectional candidate who is popular in the North because he is seen as the champion of Islam and Sharia? How do you propose to appeal to people who are concerned legitimately and anxious about you being a president who will implement Sharia nationally or who will limit the rights of Christians and promote the interest of Muslims? I want you to speak to those people.

General Buhari: Well, that perception remains. I know in 2003 I wrote to many Bishops and I could recall I visited (inaudible) in 2003 and 2007. As you said, it happened in Sokoto in 2000 before I participated in elections. The person who reported me by tribe is a Yoruba man, by religion a Muslim. He was not in Sokoto and does not understand Hausa, maybe he still doesn’t. How he got the story I don’t know. And the comment I made was that people in Sokoto know their people, that when the ban on politics is lifted they should choose the people that will represent them responsibly. This is common sense: if someone aspires to rule this country, he cannot afford to offend even pagans or even atheists—those who don’t even believe in God. These are the people that will vote. How can I say Muslims should not vote for Christians? Then do I expect Christians to vote me, a Muslim? I wrote to the Bishops. I explained to them, but I think, as you mentioned, perception, people hold on to their perception. Even the church leaders were careful to explain to their flock that there is no way any leader will, at the federal level, antagonize any of the religions. So, I wrote to the Bishops to explain but I am still very surprised that the perception remains.

So there is nothing I can do about it, but I will continue to explain my position. And I have backed it by facts that I have served the country’s military for 25 years. I did all the command and staff work, as a platoon commander to General Officer Commanding and the only still surviving officers that commanded three of the four commands in the Nigerian Army. And the Nigerian Army is about 75% Christian and nobody has ever said I took a decision against anybody because of his religion or his tribe. There are other tribes in the whole command. So, if for politically it sticks that I don’t like Christians, well it is very very unfortunate, but my performance in office at all stages has portrayed me as an impartial person, and I have believe that whoever is still bringing that case up, for whatever vote, will definitely fail in a free and fair election. The question of me being a sharia advocate and a hater of Christians has never happened and it will certainly fail.

Please note that in what you call a "defense", Buhari never even denied that he would implement sharia nationally. He simply dodged the question. WHY?

@IbrahimB
Thanks for your reasoned words. They are most welcome.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by Robotnik: 2:00am On Jan 17, 2011
This Moderator is looking for trouble, after 10 years someone made a statement, it is now you are re-posting it. What are you trying to instigate here? There are trending topics and latest news like English premier league, Golden Globe awards, Armed Forces remembrance day etc that ought to occupy that front page or Home page.
Just My 2 Cents
Fellow Nairalander    angry
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by bidemi12(m): 2:34am On Jan 17, 2011
Robotnik:

This Moderator is looking for trouble, after 10 years someone made a statement, it is now you are re-posting it. What are you trying to instigate here? There are trending topics and latest news like English premier league, Golden Globe awards, Armed Forces remembrance day etc that ought to occupy that front page or Home page.
Just My 2 Cents
Fellow Nairalander angry

The reason you feel that way is because as a Nigerian you have never been used to proper democracy nor a normal electoral process. If a person makes his intention known about his political ambitions I would very much like to know about everything he has ever said or done in the past. This is very important because as a politician, he is deceptive by nature and would want to portray a saint at the time of campaign. What he did before his political ambition reflects his true nature and intentions. That is how it is done elsewhere: total scrutiny of one’s personal life. The sooner we understand this the better for us as a country. even if it is 100 years ago, i want to know. . . . .
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by Robotnik: 4:15am On Jan 17, 2011
bidemi12:

The reason you feel that way is because as a Nigerian you have never been used to proper democracy nor a normal electoral process. If a person makes his intention known about his political ambitions I would very much like to know about everything he has ever said or done in the past. This is very important because as a politician, he is deceptive by nature and would want to portray a saint at the time of campaign. What he did before his political ambition reflects his true nature and intentions. That is how it is done elsewhere: total scrutiny of one’s personal life. The sooner we understand this the better for us as a country. even if it is 100 years ago, i want to know. . . . .

Thanks for the Response
Wow, I thought I would receive bashing from left, right and center from the next reply, your reply was insightful and I appreciate that, I understood more when I saw GA as your location and knew you weren't talking from a typical 9ja point of view.
I was able to recall instances during the USA election about what Obama, MCcain and Palin had said in the past and how it was used for and against them during the campaign.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by musasman: 5:56am On Jan 17, 2011
U guyz re wack, prick, ass hole, pussy, wat concern u guyz wt sharia, it's meant 4 d islamic state nd not D christian state so u beta watch ur ass hole u kal ur mouth nd knw hw 2 use it, SAI BUHARI 4 2011,
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by Dotmantop(m): 6:05am On Jan 17, 2011
Buhari is too extreme to be a Nigerian leader, or President . He should go to sleep with his Sharia shit.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by jonnex: 7:07am On Jan 17, 2011
I will be d last person to support religious fanatics.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by comechop(m): 7:24am On Jan 17, 2011
Very interesting responses. This thread just goes to show that no matter what, Nigerians would rather deny facts even when it stares them right in the face.

Everyone do your own history. Whether he said it in 1980 or 2001 or 2011 - the fact is that he said it. And that is more than sufficient. Such a man with such a backward and myopic way of thinking should never seat in power.

And of course you'll expect anyone to change tune, esp when elections are coming closer. Look at their history - history never lies.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by Jakumo(m): 7:36am On Jan 17, 2011
Wise words, Comechop, and may you continue to chop life in a country FREE FOREVER from the tyranny of Islamist terror advocates such as Ayatollah Buhari.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by JUO(m): 8:14am On Jan 17, 2011
hum
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by Lagosboy: 8:24am On Jan 17, 2011
Whoever put this on the front page with the misleading title after overwheliming evidence in which Buhari himself rejected the notion, without video evidence, without tape recording evidence has not done welll.

By all means, the thread could be put on front page but dont mislead us with the sinister TITLES.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by naijaking1: 8:35am On Jan 17, 2011
Many American politiciains pledge, promise, and swear never to raise taxes. Can we have Nigerian politicians pass this sharia litmus test?
I like to have Jonathan, Ribadu and even Buhari make a binding statement on sharia, is that too much to ask for?
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by richcode: 8:50am On Jan 17, 2011
a criminal calling for sharia law ,this same man disobey the law of the land through copu de tat he is selfish because he is looking for power Nigeria is not a one religious country this kind person want Nigeria to be DESTROYED not build through it religion fantical attitude
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by ifeci: 8:58am On Jan 17, 2011
Thank the Good Lord that this mentally drained man in the name of Buhari did not emerge as the flag bearer of ACN talk more of becoming the President. sharia ke, i dnt knw wot the problem of dis northerners are?
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by Ciromaa: 9:04am On Jan 17, 2011
please can you tell us were he made the call venue and reference?
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by Novice1(m): 9:52am On Jan 17, 2011
Why dig it up now (10 yrs after)? Sheer Blackmail.
A big downvote to the mod for pushing it to the front page.

We are waiting for similar scoops on the other candidates (like the dame patience corruption saga) to show up on the front page.

Seun, dont allow this forum become too partisan.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:55am On Jan 17, 2011
@OP, in your attempt to label others tribalists, you have only succeeded in convincing every reasonale person on the block that you are a BIG tribalist and part of Naija's problem. Repent or .  .  .   .   .    .   .
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by gamesb: 10:03am On Jan 17, 2011
BUHARI SADIST , ATIKU THIEF , IBB KILLER WILL NEVER AGAIN RULE OR BE @ THE CORRIDOR OF POWER IN THIS COUNTRY. THEY ARE NOT USEFULL AGAIN.
Re: Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria by safariSA: 10:12am On Jan 17, 2011
Jarus, Aisha2.

We need to take this off front page. it is too bad at this age for us to be smearing the image of this man on hearsay. And I know the pro-jonathan guys sees this as the only falsehood they can use to kill this man's noble credentials. The more we continue to overflog this, the more other religions are showing how hatred for Islam lives in their hearts! It is sickening, and BEAF & JAKUMO are the arrowheads of this useless, campaign that can give them no joy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Fashola At Work: Why Is No One Talking? / Ojeligbo Ayika Shares Photos Of Guns, To Attack Nigerian Politicians / Dino Melaye: Jimoh Moshood Storms Hospital With 30 Armed Policemen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.