Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,410 members, 7,815,914 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:55 PM

Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win (11728 Views)

EFCC Petitioned Over Jonathan Illegal N67.2billion Withdrawal From CBN-sahara / TAN Leader, Ifeanyi Ubah, Weeps Over Jonathan's Loss / Obiano Sacks Aide Over Jonathan’s Re-Election Jingle (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by chines4(m): 2:02pm On Jan 19, 2011
Mmmmmms Nigerian Politicians another rent a crowd show
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by NARIS(m): 2:09pm On Jan 19, 2011
Toaskarity:

which mentality ? Have you ever been to the north during any crisis or riot ? Do you know the next thing that will come out of that riot? I bet you its killing of the southerners especially the igbos(as they took them as their worst enemy). And let me tell you the only government solution that can minimize all this killing, rooting,destroying of property in naija is my ABOVE SOLTION. Anywhere maybe you wont understand this until u lost any of your siblings in those crisis.
NOTE:'my suggestion of nigeria might be wrong to you and be right to another'.
And please stop using 'enlightened' to cover 'fear'. So maybe yorubas are also more enlightened than germans(who fought the WW11)even though lost the war but gain their governmental power in europe which they lost in WW1.

thank you Toaskarity
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by soldee: 2:13pm On Jan 19, 2011

Almajiri or not, the rural north may obviously not vote for Jonathan. That's a HUGE voting block!!

They believe their Governors acted against their wishes with the Delegates.

Vote no sabi book o
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by soldee: 2:15pm On Jan 19, 2011
As at 2006,

Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by hacker2k: 2:15pm On Jan 19, 2011
How far my follow Nigeria,i had bring good thing to you.Free call is here again but only for glo to glo.here is my number 08152046990.
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by Hodaya(m): 2:20pm On Jan 19, 2011
Toaskarity:

which mentality ? Have you ever been to the north during any crisis or riot ? Do you know the next thing that will come out of that riot? I bet you its killing of the southerners especially the igbos(as they took them as their worst enemy). And let me tell you the only government solution that can minimize all this killing, rooting,destroying of property in naija is my ABOVE SOLTION. Anywhere maybe you wont understand this until u lost any of your siblings in those crisis.
NOTE:'my suggestion of nigeria might be wrong to you and be right to another'.
And please stop using 'enlightened' to cover 'fear'. So maybe yorubas are also more enlightened than germans(who fought the WW11)even though lost the war  but gain their governmental power in europe which they lost in WW1.

Compare the indications that led to WW11 to what is presently happening in Nigeria. Do you even know how far behind in years Nigeria is compared to developed nations? When did their government provide them with good roads, constant electricity, clean water supply etc. Pls consider this before you start comparing our present situation to that that led to WW11.

It's unfortunate that your comments seem to be fueled by vengeance.
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by soldee: 2:21pm On Jan 19, 2011
This is why 'zoning' was created. The right to rule should not be a game of numbers, of 'Might is Right'. but that's all water under the bridge now - what's next?? cool
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by Princek12(m): 2:28pm On Jan 19, 2011
soldee:

This is why 'zoning' was created. The right to rule should not be a game of numbers, of 'Might is Right'. but that's all water under the bridge now - what's next?? cool

So you are you saying you prefer oligarchy over democracy; and that the best person for the job, regardless of tribe, should not always be the president, because of zoning?
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by soldee: 2:40pm On Jan 19, 2011
Princek12:

So you are you saying you prefer oligarchy over democracy; and that the best person for the job, regardless of tribe, should not always be the president, because of zoning?

Nigeria is a Tribal Society!!

The only way a candidate can be assessed and voted for on the basis of issues is if all candidates are from the same Zone.

Once candidates are from different Zones, Nigerians will line up behind their tribes men!!

Rural people dont view debates on fb or nairaland - forget it, and their numbers count!!
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by soldee: 2:42pm On Jan 19, 2011
There are numerous persons from each Zone who are fit to hold each leadership position in contention - Yes, Nigeria is that blessed.

With turn-by-turn, each Zone can showcase their BEST based on real issues.

But alas -
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by Lanrefemi: 2:45pm On Jan 19, 2011
Federalism can never work in a country like nigeria, it works in america because their society is monolithic. i.e they share the same culture, language etc. unlike nigeria where we have over 200 different cultures, ideologies, believes systems and languages.

We need to go back to the parliamentary system of government, where each region will have their own assembly/houses, their own ministers, manage their own economy and have their own premier or first minister as it is called in some countries, then we can have a ceremonial president in the middle with very little executive power. we will still be one country, using the same passport and free travel throughout the regions.
Take Britian for example, britain is made up of four countries namely;england,scotland,wales and north ireland , each of these regions have their own political authonomy, and are joined together politicaly in the middle at their house of commons.

It's high time we stopped deceiving ourselves about 'ONE NIGERIA' it's a mirage.   I'm not advocating that nigeria should break up literarily, but let us allow each region to have their own autonomy.
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by akyus(m): 3:06pm On Jan 19, 2011
God is the mighty warrior. He did not need any body to fight for Him. He is ever ready to fight our battles for us. All He requires of us is to worship and praise Him. And show love to even the person that claims to be our enemy. I don't know what is happening, but I'm just beginning to hate seeing words like christian, moslem, north and south.
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by Princek12(m): 3:08pm On Jan 19, 2011
soldee:

Nigeria is a Tribal Society!!

The only way a candidate can be assessed and voted for on the basis of issues is if all candidates are from the same Zone.

Once candidates are from different Zones, Nigerians will line up behind their tribes men!!

Rural people dont view debates on fb or nairaland - forget it, and their numbers count!!

That was not my question: my question was whether you prefer oligarchy over democracy, not whether Nigeria is a tribal zone. And even, for argument sake, Nigeria is a tribal zone, do we have to maintain the status quo, especially when that status quo has not worked for us: we do not have even steady power. This election has also shown that Nigerians do not necessarily "line up behind their tribes men," for Jonathan won convincingly in the North, even in Atiku's turf.

soldee:

There are numerous persons from each Zone who are fit to hold each leadership position in contention - Yes, Nigeria is that blessed.

With turn-by-turn, each Zone can showcase their BEST based on real issues.

But alas -

Do you know that your idea will send Nigeria back and progress will rarely be made? Have you thought that if the best person in the country is not elected, that the best candidate from one zone may be the worst candidate in another zone? To put it plainly, for example, the best candidate in the North could be a high school graduate with zero leadership experience, while the best candidate in the South could be an advanced degree holder with significant leadership experience. According to you, just for zoning sake, the best candidate from the North should be put forward if, at that time, the best candidate that can be presented by the North would be that secondary/high school  graduate with zero leadership experience. Such a mentality is not good for any civilized society.
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by kulutempa: 3:10pm On Jan 19, 2011
This is the comment I made a few days ago on Nairaland:

[b]In my view, Nigeria is one of the most difficult countries to lead and govern, but one of the easiest to rule and manipulate.  That is why we have always had rulers in Nigeria, but never leaders.  Our rulers have long recognised that Nigeria is not a country as such but a collection of vested interests, and they have ruthlesslessly exploited  these interests to keep themselves in power.   They know that the people want subsidised petrol, so what do they do?  Of course they provide it even if it means shortages from time to time and less money to build roads, hospitals and schools.  They also subsidise electricity, even if it means regular blackouts.  I have also come to the conclusion that the last parastatal that the Nigerian government will privatise is NNPC because that is the golden goose that gives our leaders golden eggs with which to buy favours and operate their system of patronage.  Government control of parastatals means that you can bribe even your opponents with juicy appointments and freeze out those who don't toe the line.  I have also reaslised that expecting our government to privatise key industries and utilities is like expecting turkeys to vote for Christmas.  Once they do this they will start losing their levers of patronage.  In the final analysis,  the solution to the Nigerian conundrum, in my opinion is the reduction of the size and influence of government and the public sector in Nigerian daily life  and to allow the natural Nigerian entrepreneurial spirit to flourish.  However I doubt that this will happen simply because the rulers and the ruled appear to be involved in a relationship of convenience and expediency, and mutual backscratching.[/b]

The problem with most people in Nigeria is that our so called leaders continue to pee on them and tell them it's raining, and the poor sods believe them.  Call me cynical but I don't see anything changing for the foreseeable future particularly in the North where religion is the principal means by which  politicians control the poor teeming masses.  Our brothers in the North would rather riot and kill Christians in their midst at the instigation of an insanely corrupt politician, instead of asking what their leaders have done to improve their lives.  Sad. Very sad.
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by soldee: 3:21pm On Jan 19, 2011
Princek12:

That was not my question: my question was whether you prefer oligarchy over democracy, not whether Nigeria is a tribal zone. And even, for argument sake, Nigeria is a tribal zone, do we have to maintain the status quo, especially when that status quo has not worked for us: we do not have even steady power. This election has also shown that Nigerians do not necessarily "line up behind their tribes men," for Jonathan won convincingly in the North, even in Atiku's turf.

JJC Wake UP!! Jonathan won 80-something delegate votes from the PDP Governor of Adamawa State.

Princek12:

Do you know that your idea will send Nigeria back and progress will rarely be made? Have you thought that if the best person in the country is not elected, that the best candidate from one zone may be the worst candidate in another zone? To put it plainly, for example, the best candidate in the North could be a high school graduate with zero leadership experience, while the best candidate in the South could be an advanced degree holder with significant leadership experience. According to you, just for zoning sake, the best candidate from the North should be put forward if, at that time, the best candidate that can be presented by the North would be that secondary/high school  graduate with zero leadership experience. Such a mentality is not good for any civilized society.

Again wake up to the reality - both the north and south and east and west have numerous credible people with excellent education and leadership qualities - our concern now should be making sure that these are the people who are presented as candidates. That can be achieved more effectively wit zoning.

If zoning was in place and it was the turn of the South-South do you think a Goodluck Jonathan would stand a chance running against the likes of a Donald Duke? Just saying
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by Danjos1(m): 3:33pm On Jan 19, 2011
why are the Christians always trying to show they have all the right to rule despite the zoning agreement?
do you think you will go thru if the politics turned to christian vs Muslims.
kindly refer to CIA facts book 2009. to jugde for your selves.
don't allow your pastor/vicars divide this country.
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by chinnyonwu(m): 3:38pm On Jan 19, 2011
these muslims are blindfolded by their imams. Mscheeeeeew. Do the right thing u wanna do, o fool!
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by soldee: 3:42pm On Jan 19, 2011
kulutempa:

The problem with most people in Nigeria is that our so called leaders continue to pee on them and tell them it's raining, and the poor sods believe them.  Call me cynical but I don't see anything changing for the foreseeable future particularly in the North where religion is the principal means by which  politicians control the poor teeming masses.  Our brothers in the North would rather riot and kill Christians in their midst at the instigation of an insanely corrupt politician, instead of asking what their leaders have done to improve their lives.  Sad. Very sad.

It is particularly worrying that everything is now christian-muslim - if it is the easiest way politicians up north can sway the poor teeming masses.

What exactly was GEJ's game plan when he was killing zoning and 'blaming muslims'?

Its crunch time now and he's seeking 100 million muslim votes.

We watch, we learn  cool
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by Danjos1(m): 3:55pm On Jan 19, 2011
Nigerian Christians ? grin
always want to hear what is OK for them.
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by SkyBlue1: 3:57pm On Jan 19, 2011
Dan jos:

why are the Christians always trying to show they have all the right to rule despite the zoning agreement?

What is sad about this post is that the very fundamentals of its mentality is actually not that uncommon in the north. I thought the zoning thing for many people was north and south, according to you it seems you don't just have to be north, you have to be the right kind of north also. So apart from region and religion, when does competency ever ever enter the equation? And some people express shock and horror when some suggest a possible end to this union.
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by Nobody: 3:59pm On Jan 19, 2011
Atiku lost the PDP presidential primaries, Goodluck Jonathan is the candidate of PDP and that is official irrespective of what happened or didn’t happen during the PDP primaries unless, a court of competent jurisdiction ruled otherwise which is not likely to happen; as a participant, Atiku reserves the right to complain, cry or even weep over the outcome and our sympathy goes to him in his failed attempt to grab the ‘lucrative and powerful’ slot since we all know it is no more about serving the people, the citizenry has become more or less a pawn on the chessboard of our mercurial politicians and they are holding Nigeria hostage. That being said, we should not allow this PDP government to digress from the important issues at hand and distract us AGAIN (like they did before the 2007 elections) and continue to bring up Atiku Abubakar’s issue; I think it is becoming a game plan of this administration. Atiku has lost the primaries, if he likes he can decamp to MEND or BOKO HARAM party with his supporters, if PDP likes it can change its whole administrators, what should concern the average Nigerian now is what plans Mr. Jonathan and all the other presidential candidates have for this nation in terms of welfare and general well-being of the people; ordinary Nigerians are suffering in the midst of plenty. We should start talking and complaining now about the on-going voters’ registration exercise which is fast becoming like another IWU experience; the machines are behaving alike, the promises are the same the experiences are similar, the electoral body is still INEC and it’s headed by a Professor; if it runs, walks, smells and rattles like a rat, it is definitely a rat. A DDC machine was reportedly ‘stolen’; by the time it was recovered it already had 2000 names on it, no mention of who stole it or what happened to the ‘stealer’. For those who don’t know, election rigging starts from the voter registration exercise, in 2007 names like Mike Tyson and Jesse Jackson were found on registers in some states; this time maybe we should expect names like Osama Bin Laden, Robert Mugabe, Lauren Gbagbo & co. PDP PRESIDENTIAL PRIMARY HAS COME AND GONE WITH A WINNER DECLARED, IT WAS VERY TRANSPARENT BUT VERY UNDEMOCRATIC, IT WAS REPORTEDLY ‘CASH AND CARRY’ AND IF IT SO, A VERY BIG SHAME BECAUSE THE WINNER AND LOSERS WERE ALL SAID TO BE INVOLVED IN THE UNCIVILIZED ACT. IT IS TIME WE STARTED EDUCATING OURSELVES ON THE NEED FOR ‘GENUINE’ ONE MAN ONE VOTE IN OUR POLITY, IT IS THE PANACEA TO OUR COUTRY’S LINGERING CRISIS AND PDP – AS THE RULING PARTY SHOULD HAVE SET A GOOD EXAMPLE.
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by bestman09(m): 4:05pm On Jan 19, 2011
Dan jos:

It is religious bigots like you who are trying to divide this country. If i may ask, how many years has the christians ruled this nation that you want to die for nothing. If you don't like GEJ, why not allow peace to reign and vote for your Buhari when the time comes. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH in this nation
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by Danjos1(m): 4:11pm On Jan 19, 2011
Don't forget that the north has,always, plan B.
then is when all this christian/ south Agenda will turn sour and GEJ will be blamed.
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by adexxx: 4:14pm On Jan 19, 2011
na waa oh 9ja place where anything goes
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by eewule(m): 4:25pm On Jan 19, 2011
I like the way they keep the fighting, rioting and events in Jos to the north only. At least they do show some respect cause the day they bring it south-wards will be the day they get wiped-out. As our own Boko-haram (The militant-thugs of Niger delta with their full military amunitions) are on stand-by to deal with the northern fools who want to impose themselves on others else cause war.
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by phantom23: 4:26pm On Jan 19, 2011
I know this is offline but for a politician to actually say 'I don't need your votes to win the election, I need Kano's votes alone to see my through', That is just soooo gay, It shows me the type of person he is, If you know what i mean. I'm sure if he had been voted, he would have made the people of that region suffer if he became president. Atiku waterloo
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by Lanrefemi: 4:30pm On Jan 19, 2011
The fundamental problem in nigeria is corruption and bad leadership, not muslims vs christians or north vs south per se.

The main concern and debate should be how the followership can make the leadership  accountable to them.

Personally I don't really care where who rules nigeria comes from or even their religion or lack of it, as long as they can provide stable power supply, health care, good education, good roads, security, etc.  These are the issues nigerians should be concerned with.
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by bestman09(m): 4:33pm On Jan 19, 2011
Dan jos:

Don't forget that the north has,always, plan B.
then is when all this christian/ south Agenda will turn sour and GEJ will be blamed.
Let them bring out their plan B or C for all i care! If the Northerners are tired of being Nigerians, They are free to secede and nobody down south here will shed a tear because of that
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by KaluAkanu: 4:35pm On Jan 19, 2011
Who cares what the Northerners think? I would be happy if they left this union. There country would be like Chad or Niger. Nigeria was the best thing to happen to these ungrateful Northerners who always cling to their religion. They can't even think for themselves.

And they have given Nigeria a bad name. 419 is bad, but it is not as bad as being labeled a terrorist nation. Now that is unforgivable.
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by Danjos1(m): 4:37pm On Jan 19, 2011
I am not begging for christian votes for Buhari, you've made your stands  clear for us.
just follow what your pastor is telling you. you wont regret it but your children-children , maybe more enlightened then, will hate you for that.
take charge!
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by Jbenue: 4:53pm On Jan 19, 2011
why cant the north stop this childishness!!!!!!!!!!! i mean is it all about religious affiliation?. im a southern christian and i want ribadu to win. i dont care for where a man chooses to enter in order to pray. even if the wanted a muslim could they not find anyone better than atiku?
Re: Riot In The North Over Jonathan's Win by benimeogu(f): 4:59pm On Jan 19, 2011
Ni

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Six Geographical Regions Of Nigeria In Order Of Development. / Saraki Signs Nigerian Railway Corporation Bill / APC Not Threatened By Planned Mega Party – Oyegun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.