Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,016 members, 7,810,809 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:56 PM

Bubba Wallace: Noose Found In Garage Of American Race Car Driver. - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Bubba Wallace: Noose Found In Garage Of American Race Car Driver. (56937 Views)

Ben Wallace: Russia Running Out Of Weapons, Can Be Defeated By Ukraine / Huge Fireball Explodes In Garage Under Elephant And Castle Station In London / "Noose Found In Bubba Wallace's Garage Was Not A Hate Crime" - FBI (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bubba Wallace: Noose Found In Garage Of American Race Car Driver. by naptu2: 8:24am On Jun 22, 2020
Background. Back in the late 1800s and early 1900s it was quite common for black people in some parts of America to be beaten up, have a noose tied around their necks and hung from trees until they were dead. This is called lynching.

Noose found in stall of Bubba Wallace at Alabama NASCAR race

By JOHN ZENOR
2 hours ago

TALLADEGA, Ala. (AP) — A noose was found in the garage stall of Black driver Bubba Wallace at the NASCAR race in Alabama on Sunday, less than two weeks after he successfully pushed the stock car racing series to ban the Confederate flag at its tracks and facilities.

NASCAR said it had launched an immediate investigation and will do everything possible to find out who was responsible and “eliminate them from the sport.”

“We are angry and outraged, and cannot state strongly enough how seriously we take this heinous act,” the series said in a statement. “As we have stated unequivocally, there is no place for racism in NASCAR, and this act only strengthens our resolve to make the sport open and welcoming to all.”

Wallace is the only fulltime Black driver in NASCAR’s elite Cup Series. On Twitter, he said the “the despicable act of racism and hatred leaves me incredibly saddened and serves as a painful reminder of how much further we have to go as a society and ow persistent we must be in the fight against racism.”

“As my mother told me today, ‘They are just trying to scare you,’” he wrote. “ This will not break me, I will not give in nor will I back down. I will continue to proudly stand for what I believe in.”

The noose was discovered on the same day NASCAR’s fledgling flag ban faced its biggest challenge. The ban took effect before last week’s race near Miami, but there were only about 1,000 military members admitted into that race.

At Talladega, in the heart of the South, as many as 5,000 fans were allowed in, even though rain postponed the race until Monday and visitors were barred from the infield.

There weren’t any immediate reports of how many flags were confiscated or taken down at the track, if any — but the flag was present nearby. There were informal protests Saturday and Sunday alike, with cars and pickup trucks driving along nearby roads flying the flag and parading past the entrance to the superspeedway. A small plane flew overhead pulling a banner with the flag and the words “Defund NASCAR.”

NASCAR did not acknowledged the plane, though executive Steve O’Donnell tweeted a picture of black and white hands shaking with the words: “You won’t see a photo of a jackass flying a flag over the track here...but you will see this.” Rapper Ice Cube tweeted about the plane saying, “(Expletive) him NASCAR, you got new fans in this household.”

Wallace, a 26-year-old Alabama native who drives the No. 43 for Richard Petty Motorsports, said he has found support among fellow drivers for his stance on the flag. He noted that after the noose announcement.

“Over the last several weeks, I have been overwhelmed by the support from people across the NASCAR industry including other drivers and tea members in the garage,” he said. “Together, our sport has made a commitment to driving real chance and championing a community that is accepting and welcoming of everyone. Nothing is more important and we will not be deterred by the reprehensible actions of those who seek to spread hate.”

Wallace’s 2013 victory in a Truck Series race was only the second in a NASCAR national series by an Black driver (Wendell Scott, 1963) and helped push him into the Cup Series, where he drives for Hall of Famer Richard Petty and is forced to scramble for sponsorship dollars.

NASCAR has spent years trying to distance itself from the Confederate flag, long a part of its moonshine-running roots from the its founding more than 70 years ago. Five years ago, former chairman Brian France tried to ban flying the flags at tracks, a proposal that was not enforced and was largely ignored.

This year was different and it was Wallace who led the charge. Over the past month as the nation has been roiled by social unrest largely tied to the death of George Floyd, Wallace wore a black T-shirt with the words “I Can’t Breathe” at one race and had a #BlackLivesMatter paint scheme at another.

Wallace, whose father is white, was not always outspoken about racism; even after Floyd was killed last month while in police custody in Minneapolis, he was not the first driver to speak out for racial equality. He has said he began to find his public voice on racism after watching video in May of Ahmaud Arbery’s fatal shooting in Georgia. He said he now recognizes he must not let his platform as a prominent driver go to waste.

NBA star LeBron James tweeted his support to Wallace, calling the noose “sickening!”

“ Know you don’t stand alone! I’m right here with you as well as every other athlete,” James wrote. “I just want to continue to say how proud I am of you for continuing to take a stand for change here in America and sports!”

Talladega is one of the more raucous stops on the NASCAR schedule, but the coronavirus pandemic prompted the series, like all sports, to ban or sharply limit fans for months. The scene this weekend was a dramatic departure from the Talladega norm with plenty of room for social distancing and fans asked to wear masks.

“It’s weird. It’s eerie,” said David Radvansky, 32, from suburban Atlanta, who brought his wife and boys, 3 and 6.

Radvansky, who started coming to Talladega in the 1990s when his father parked cars at races, applauded NASCAR’s decision to ban the Confederate flag.

“I don’t think there’s a place for it in NASCAR, to be honest with you,” the 32-year-old said. “That doesn’t sit well with all the good ole boys but it is what it is.”

Directly across from the track, Ed Sugg’s merchandise tent was flying Confederate flags prominently in a display alongside Trump 2020 banners and an American flag.

“They’re doing very well,” said Sugg, a Helena, Alabama, resident who has been selling an array of wares at NASCAR races for 21 years. “People are disappointed that NASCAR has taken that stance. It’s been around for as long as all of us have been.

“I don’t think anybody really connects it to any kind of racism or anything,” he said. “It’s just a Southern thing. It’s transparent. It’s just a heritage thing.”

https://apnews.com/2efdc16f18bd1e04373a72d36eaa0c5a?utm_medium=AP&utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=SocialFlow

Picture 1) Bubba Wallace stands for the national anthem before a recent NASCAR race.

Picture 2) Bubba Wallace's car with "Black Lives Matter" written on it.

Picture 3) A noose.

Picture 4) The Confederate/rebel flag flying from a truck.

3 Likes

Re: Bubba Wallace: Noose Found In Garage Of American Race Car Driver. by JimmyDarmody: 8:28am On Jun 22, 2020
The fact that other colored humans hate dark skinned humans tends to give some credibility to the scientific theory that man evolved from animals.

Modified : this is Argumentum Ad Hominem. I do not believe in that evolution crap.

FTC for the first time on nland
I dedicate it to all those whose situations have been worsened by the pandemic. May your pains be relieved.

95 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bubba Wallace: Noose Found In Garage Of American Race Car Driver. by Xisnin(m): 8:33am On Jun 22, 2020
JimmyDarmody:
The fact that other colored humans hate dark skinned humans tends to give some credibility to the scientific theory that man evolved from animals.

No.
The fact that you made this post lend more credence to evolution.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bubba Wallace: Noose Found In Garage Of American Race Car Driver. by ProfAmaben(m): 8:34am On Jun 22, 2020
What if the noose is for himself?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bubba Wallace: Noose Found In Garage Of American Race Car Driver. by Adeniyi9462(m): 8:34am On Jun 22, 2020
Another one
Re: Bubba Wallace: Noose Found In Garage Of American Race Car Driver. by StrikeBack(m): 8:34am On Jun 22, 2020
This blm is already getting annoying

11 Likes

Re: Bubba Wallace: Noose Found In Garage Of American Race Car Driver. by Ernerstdavid55(m): 8:35am On Jun 22, 2020
grin
Re: Bubba Wallace: Noose Found In Garage Of American Race Car Driver. by joviegghead: 8:35am On Jun 22, 2020
Hmm
This is seriously starting to get annoying. Like what's the meaning of these rubbish?

Racism here, racism there.
You know, in as much as I know racism exist, I still think blacks over exaggerate things as well.

Just one small event, and bam, they cry like bitches for every little thing for the next 50 years.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bubba Wallace: Noose Found In Garage Of American Race Car Driver. by Nobody: 8:35am On Jun 22, 2020
Rahmanjargo:
Blacks is the most useless race on earth.

Very useless set of people. America is not your country, stop messing that nation up with your dirty mentality. Come back to Nigeria,Ghana and other useless African nations you originated from.

America is owned by red Indians, it's not even owned by the whites you are supporting, you dont know anything but you choose to spill your garbage.

274 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Bubba Wallace: Noose Found In Garage Of American Race Car Driver. by ednut1(m): 8:35am On Jun 22, 2020
If black lives does not matter to blacks. Why would it matter to whites

25 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Bubba Wallace: Noose Found In Garage Of American Race Car Driver. by GOFRONT(m): 8:35am On Jun 22, 2020
In Nigeria, Black lives never matter.....Let us not deceive ourselves here...

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bubba Wallace: Noose Found In Garage Of American Race Car Driver. by Sunnycliff(m): 8:35am On Jun 22, 2020
Nigerians living here and shouting black live matters are senseless. You won't campaign against the killings happening every day in your nation, you won't campaign against the rape and gagging of armless protesters, all you are hypocritically shouting is blacklivesmatter.

Why can't you scream you can't breathe for the insecurity and corruption in this country?

Indeed black people have a problem. I can't agree less with Nnamdi Kanu

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bubba Wallace: Noose Found In Garage Of American Race Car Driver. by ForeThinker: 8:35am On Jun 22, 2020
Never apologize for how you feel. No one can control how they feel. The sun doesn’t apologize for being the sun. The rain doesn’t say sorry for falling. Feelings just are.

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Bubba Wallace: Noose Found In Garage Of American Race Car Driver. by Abalado(f): 8:35am On Jun 22, 2020
Trump could not do anything about this issue ,even till now,i think blacks needs to fight,,,make any oyinbo no near me for this America way i they o,or else na to use charm kill them o

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bubba Wallace: Noose Found In Garage Of American Race Car Driver. by KingAzubuike(f): 8:36am On Jun 22, 2020
Black people sef una wahala too much. Everything must sha be connected to racism from the perspective of a black man. We are the ones over reacting on most of these petty things.

6 Likes

Re: Bubba Wallace: Noose Found In Garage Of American Race Car Driver. by TheSociopath(m): 8:36am On Jun 22, 2020
Black lives would continue to be seen as trash until black people elevate their socioeconomic status in that country. Teenage pregnancy, drugs, armed robbery, crime in general do not help the way a group of people is perceived. Strive to go to school, do well, get a college degree and watch the number of people demeaning you drop drastically

35 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Bubba Wallace: Noose Found In Garage Of American Race Car Driver. by ksly24(m): 8:36am On Jun 22, 2020
JimmyDarmody:

Very TRUE

1 Like

Re: Bubba Wallace: Noose Found In Garage Of American Race Car Driver. by Mihaug(m): 8:36am On Jun 22, 2020
Whites have always been and will always been threatened by us, they know what we r capable of thats y they r united against us and do everything possible to make us fight amongst ourselves.

If the black race were to come together... Imagine the things we could achieve...

The white men gonna shit their pants every day

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bubba Wallace: Noose Found In Garage Of American Race Car Driver. by KingMicky3286: 8:36am On Jun 22, 2020
Original shameless scammer spotted.
biz1994:
Good news!

We buy airtime of all networks upto 5 million.We have an online presence with over 5342 positive feedback and testimonies. if you can supply us contact 090.96300.200.. Please if you are not in the business already don't call. Scammers stay off. You won't succeed. Serious people only.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bubba Wallace: Noose Found In Garage Of American Race Car Driver. by Andrew13: 8:36am On Jun 22, 2020
Damn nigger
Buhari is shocked by this news

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bubba Wallace: Noose Found In Garage Of American Race Car Driver. by sylve11: 8:36am On Jun 22, 2020
cool6
Re: Bubba Wallace: Noose Found In Garage Of American Race Car Driver. by lawrenzooo: 8:37am On Jun 22, 2020
biz1994:
Good news!

We buy airtime of all networks upto 5 million.We have an online presence with over 5342 positive feedback and testimonies. if you can supply us contact 090.96300.200.. Please if you are not in the business already don't call. Scammers stay off. You won't succeed. Serious people only.
State your online presence. If its a website or social media page add the url

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bubba Wallace: Noose Found In Garage Of American Race Car Driver. by lonelydora: 8:37am On Jun 22, 2020
Can you imagine
Re: Bubba Wallace: Noose Found In Garage Of American Race Car Driver. by Monday60655(m): 8:37am On Jun 22, 2020
Are you having problem with summary?
Re: Bubba Wallace: Noose Found In Garage Of American Race Car Driver. by arantess: 8:37am On Jun 22, 2020
JimmyDarmody:

ad hominem
Re: Bubba Wallace: Noose Found In Garage Of American Race Car Driver. by paulolee(m): 8:37am On Jun 22, 2020
bad
Re: Bubba Wallace: Noose Found In Garage Of American Race Car Driver. by Nobody: 8:37am On Jun 22, 2020
ednut1:
If black lives does not matter to blacks. Why would it matter to whites

Some of the stuff you simpleton say really baffles me...get some education and stop showing how shallow you think and how un-educated you are

18 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Beirut, Lebanon Explosion: Father Trying To Save His Son / Largest Blast Ever: Russia Releases Unseen Photos From 1961 Tsar Bomb Test / Zimbabwe Coup Updates: Robert Mugabe Seen Moving Through Harare

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.