Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,963 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:16 AM

The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement (20571 Views)

Wife Awarded The Sum Of N92 BILLION For Divorce Settlement / Ex-wife Pays Divorce Settlement In Coins, Rice And Beans / Divorce Settlement And Child-Support Be Introduced In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Atreides(f): 8:34pm On Mar 24, 2011
I want to marry Tiger Woods.
He can do anything he likes and when i find out i'll be all shocked and everything,and then he can give me a 100million dollar settlement.
Infact,i'm not greedy. If he gives me 50million,i will accept it and move back to Nigeria. grin grin
but seriously,how tha bloody hell could Tiger's wife have gotten 100 milla? That sum boggles my mind.100 milla for what 3 years of marriage(idk whether it was more)? I wouldn't be able to finish that money in my life! Tiger woods come and marry me! grin grin
@Topic,well i don't know whether divorce settlement/alimony exists in Nigeria and if it does i know i've never seen an example of it,so settlement isn't really an issue.
I intend to work throughout my marriage so i don't see why i would need any money from him if it ends.
Even if we put that aside,i have to consider the fairness of it. We both spent the same amount of time in the relationship. If i won't compensate him for the time he spent married to me then why should he have to compensate me for the time i spent married to him?
If he cheated then why would i give him a way of assuaging his guilt by collecting his money?
Why would i want anything to do with him?
If we have kids,then that's different-i would expect him to take care of his kids but even if he refuses,i'd sure as hell be able to take care of my kids financially and give them the best.
This is why no woman should be solely dependent on her husband financially,IMO.
Shyt happens.
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Nobody: 8:36pm On Mar 24, 2011
@nnekai
I am sorry to say that when your husband is worth at least $10milla, you will never touch a pot, clean a baby's asss or even know how to turn on the washing machine. Don't get it twisted!

Your only "job" would be to look good and fukc your man!
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Nobody: 9:13pm On Mar 24, 2011
Atreides:

I want to marry Tiger Woods.
He can do anything he likes and when i find out i'll be all shocked and everything,and then he can give me a 100million dollar settlement.
Infact,i'm not greedy. If he gives me 50million,i will accept it and move back to Nigeria. grin grin
but seriously,how tha bloody hell could Tiger's wife have gotten 100 milla? That sum boggles my mind.100 milla for what 3 years of marriage(idk whether it was more)? I wouldn't be able to finish that money in my life! Tiger woods come and marry me! grin grin
@Topic,well i don't know whether divorce settlement/alimony exists in Nigeria and if it does i know i've never seen an example of it,so settlement isn't really an issue.
I intend to work throughout my marriage so i don't see why i would need any money from him if it ends.
Even if we put that aside, i have to consider the fairness of it. We both spent the same amount of time in the relationship. If i won't compensate him for the time he spent married to me then why should he have to compensate me for the time i spent married to him?
If he cheated then why would i give him a way of assuaging his guilt by collecting his money?
Why would i want anything to do with him?

If we have kids,then that's different-i would expect him to take care of his kids but even if he refuses,i'd sure as hell be able to take care of my kids financially and give them the best.
This is why no woman should be solely dependent on her husband financially,IMO.
Shyt happens.

Atreides, again! Seriously, I should stop generalizing. This is the most sensible thing that a female has posted in this section in a long, long, long while. There's hope after all.

1 Like

Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by aca77: 9:22pm On Mar 24, 2011
armyofone:

OP, do not chill yet. NOT yet Uhuru!!! you thanking God the good system in the west (favoring women) is not yet in nigeria?? haha just wait LOL
we are coming soon to Nigeria. We plan to upgrade the police and legal bs you guys have in nigeria. when we m*ess eh, cold go catch fowl

Sorry to disappoint you. Nigeria would never get to the point where such nonsense would take root. Most women here are already leeches sucking on their boyfreinds/husband's finances. It shouldn't get any worse.

MRbrownJAY:

@nnekai
I am sorry to say that when your husband is worth at least $10milla, you will never touch a pot, clean a baby's asss or even know how to turn on the washing machine. Don't get it twisted!

Your only "job" would be to look good and fukc your man!

Dont mind these clever by half women. Its amazing how they think their 'hard work' as a spoiled wife with a retinue of nannies, cooks, cleaners, drivers etc. entitles them to a multi-million dollar payday when they divorce their benefactor. What kind of brain even tries to find any justification for that?

1 Like

Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Atreides(f): 9:31pm On Mar 24, 2011
pro01:

Atreides, again! Seriously, I should stop generalizing. This is the most sensible thing that a female has posted in this section in a long, long, long while. There's hope after all.
grin grin
Glad i could help!
Seriously though,i know how some people say,oh there are some women who give up their jobs to take care of their kids and that's a sacrifice,and i completely agree-it is a sacrifice. But those kids aren't just the man's kids,they're the woman's kids too,so she's making those sacrifices for HER children too.
And talking about sacrifices,doesn't a man make sacrifices too?
I know my dad would like to stay at home and read James Hadley Chase novels/watch tv/play chess all day-but he doesn't. He goes out to work and put food on the table-that's a sacrifice. So many men out there don't give a damn about their families,but my father does,and so do other good men. Some of them work 9 to 5(which in Nigeria translates to 6 to 9 for most people)every blessed day. They hustle for buses,they go to work,they put up with annoying and/or demanding bosses etc etc. . And why do they make that sacrifice? Because like their wives who might be stay-at-home moms,they want to take care of my families.
My mother is a stay-at-home mom,and i have mad respect for her and for the sacrifices she makes because she loves me.
My dad works hard to pay the bills and pay my school fees,and i have mad respect for him and for the sacrifices he makes because he loves me.
Both partners make sacrifices in marriage,and if you don't reward a man with a divorce settlement,i don't see why you should reward a woman with one either.
Of course,i repeat,to avoid all this drama,make sure you are not solely dependent on your husband financially!

2 Likes

Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by 190: 9:44pm On Mar 24, 2011
Atreides speaks the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth

I duff my hat for EDO girls

Atreides keep repping

Nothing do u cool cool
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Atreides(f): 9:48pm On Mar 24, 2011
Nothing do me. .
Reppin Bini gals all over. . You know there's no-one like me(us).
But shey you know all this is hypothetical as i don't plan to divorce any man i marry.
Once oh,biko God. Only once.
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Sagamite(m): 9:58pm On Mar 24, 2011
armyofone:

OP, do not chill yet. NOT yet Uhuru!!! you thanking God the good system in the west (favoring women) is not yet in nigeria?? haha just wait LOL
we are coming soon to Nigeria. We plan to upgrade the police and legal bs you guys have in nigeria. when we m*ess eh, cold go catch fowl

ROTFLMAO!!!  grin grin grin grin grin

Nekai:

Everyone knows that a good man can be made even greater by a supportive wife.

Correction of sentence: May be greater.

Correction of reality: Most women actually limit you, as they need attention and some men have to drop part of their projects to satisfy this. Those that don't, usually end up with wife with heavy credit-card habit and a side-dish hitting the G.

Nekai:

Being a wife and mother is a 24/7 job and some women give up the best years of their lives to rearing children and helping create a peaceful home. How much money is that worth? That's a double overtime job with no time off. No woman wants to end up a divorcee especially with children in the picture.

Definitely not worth millions under ANY circumstances.

Worth something, but nowhere near even half a million in virtually all cases.

Nekai:

9 times out of 10 it's the man who sends the woman out because of his cheating behavior.
Must the woman be thrown out on the street after all the hard work is done putting a household together and rearing the children?
I applaud every woman who has a cheating/abusive husband and managed to get half of the estate she has contributed to.

If you say courts should punish a man for cheating my taking his earnings, lets imagine that makes sense despite the fact it is not in the criminal code, what should be the punishment be for a woman (worth £120K) married to a rich man (worth £35m) and cheating on him because he is too busy making money and "not paying her attention"? Would the courts award him half her assets too?

1 Like

Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by 190: 10:15pm On Mar 24, 2011
Atreides:

Nothing do me. .
Reppin Bini gals all over. . You know there's no-one like me(us).
But shey you know all this is hypothetical as i don't plan to divorce any man i marry.
Once oh,biko God. Only once.

ROTFLMFAO!!
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Nekai(f): 1:52am On Mar 25, 2011
In america the man can get half of the woman's earnings if the woman is a milionaire. It goes both ways.
Adultary is actually illegal in almost half the states in america, so if the man (or woman) is caught in an affair, then in the event of a divorce the cheater has less leverage when it comes to the division of assests.
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Thirst4Lif: 2:06am On Mar 25, 2011
I'm assuming this didn't happen in the U.S. If it had

I would ask why the guy didn't have a pre-nuptial

agreement stating in the event of divorce both

parties leave with exactly what they had at the time

of marriage (if no children are involved).

God Bless America!
LOL
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Thirst4Lif: 2:12am On Mar 25, 2011
Forgot to mention. Men who need an assortment of women

in their lives should REMAIN UNMARRIED!

1 Like

Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Titobay(f): 2:58am On Mar 25, 2011
I bet you will forever remain in Nigeria where anything goes. If you happen to find yourself in a civilized country where women are respected not just for being women but the fact that they raise children better, your children, not foster children, then you will know divorce settlement is not nonsense. Its in Nigeria that a man will misbehave, get away with it and abandon the children and their mother to hibernate and start another family elsewhere without looking back. Later, the likes of you will come out and say 'area boys' are disturbing you. You forgot that such boys have parents somewhere who chose not to be part of their lives. Wake up man. Instead of worrying your head about divorce settlement, why not desire and pray for a happy marriage and family. Sure you'd be better off. You need to read this http://hubpages.com/t/1aafe8
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Sagamite(m): 8:52am On Mar 25, 2011
Nekai:

In america the man can get half of the woman's earnings if the woman is a milionaire. It goes both ways.

What I asked you is different from the answer you gave.

You said the law should punish the man for cheating by giving the wife half of his assets.

I asked you that will the law also apply the same law to a poorer wife if she cheats? Or will she get away with it?

Don't you think if a law makes sense, it should be universally applicable?

Your answer is the answer to the question of applicability to both sexes. My question requires the answer to applicability to varied wealth levels. Two different things.

Nekai:

Adultary is actually illegal in almost half the states in america, so if the man (or woman) is caught in an affair, then in the event of a divorce the cheater has less leverage when it comes to the division of assests.

I don't think you understand the meaning of illegal.

I don't think there is any state in America where anyone breaks a law by cheating.

Normally, when someone acts "illegal", it means the law enforcement officers have the right to apprehend him and either:

a) Use their sovereign-given powers to apply an on-the-spot fine

or

b) Use their sovereign-given powers to issue the person a legal warning

or

c) Use their sovereign-given powers to arrest the person, present them in court and a judge/magistrate either

(i) Send the person to jail (immediately or suspended)
   (ii) Give the person a punishment (e.g. Community service)
   (iii) Fine the person

Are there any states in the USA where this can happen? No.

Adultery is not illegal then.

1 Like

Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by MrsChima(f): 9:02am On Mar 25, 2011
It is not. You can cheat and commit adultery and get away with it in USA. But if that wife or husband sue your arse for ALIENATION OF AFFECTION then your arse going to wish you didn't have that 1 minute itch.
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Sagamite(m): 9:32am On Mar 25, 2011
Titobay:

I bet you will forever remain in Nigeria where anything goes. If you happen to find yourself in a civilized country where women are respected not just for being women but the fact that they raise children better, your children, not foster children, then you will know divorce settlement is not nonsense. Its in Nigeria that a man will misbehave, get away with it and abandon the children and their mother to hibernate and start another family elsewhere without looking back. Later, the likes of you will come out and say 'area boys' are disturbing you. You forgot that such boys have parents somewhere who chose not to be part of their lives. Wake up man. Instead of worrying your head about divorce settlement, why not desire and pray for a happy marriage and family. Sure you'd be better off. You need to read this http://hubpages.com/t/1aafe8

There is a difference between divorce settlements and child maintenance.

Nations creating laws for women to milk men in marriages just for being women is not a sign of respect for women.

2 Likes

Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Nekai(f): 9:34am On Mar 25, 2011
If the poorer wife cheats and she wants a divorce, then she is also entitled to half (although, like I stated, if there is proof of adultary a judge takes this into consideration when dividing the assets. Adultary is punishable by fine/jail time is some U.S. States, even though it is rarely done.). I never stated that the division of properties was meant as a punishment for cheating.
To clarify, half does not mean half of everything a man has worked for his entire life. Half is simply half of the assets that were gained while married. A marriage is a union of two people. They become one and whatever one has, the other should have too.
A divorce settlement isn't compensation for wifely duties or childrearing, it is a recognition of a wife as half of the union. Women these days are capable of successful careers as well, but often put these things on a lower priority level than the husband, all for the sake of the union. Most men woudn't want to deal with a wife who was never home due to the demands of her job. Who would take care of the household? Not to mention take care of the babies?
Marriage is serious business. Tiger Woods deserved what he got because he took his wife for granted by throwing a 7 year marriage away. If he wasn't ready to share his life/assets with her then he should have stayed single until he was ready. Maybe he didn't see her as a true partner and only as a trophy wife to have a couple of kids with. Either way marriage is marriage and the vows should have been respected.
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Nobody: 11:28am On Mar 25, 2011
Sheeeesh to all the men blabbing here about divorce settlement/alimony/child support.

It doesn't automatically have to be the man who settles . . . so many other factors are considered.

http://www.mamashealth.com/alimony/factors.asp

Guys read up before you blab . . . .
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by samtoye(m): 11:46am On Mar 25, 2011
Why do people bother to marry? you get all you need without marriage na, so why marry?

1 Like

Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by harakiri(m): 12:09pm On Mar 25, 2011
@nekai. . . I just couldn't endure all your biased and illogical statements to the extent i was to log in via phone. Did you blatantly say that men recieve half of a rich wife's wealth? How many examples can you bring to the table? How much did Kevin Federline get from Britney Spears? Was it half? How many of Madonna's ex-husbands were awarded half her wealth? Who is decieving who? Western laws are totally biased and support women 100%. Even if a wife cheats on the husband,brings home std's and gets pregnant for other men. . .she still has the upper hand in court. Tiger Woods was dumb to get married in the first place. You Nekai, stated that women should be compensated for bearing children and bringing "peace" to the home. This is one of the dumbest arguments i've heard since 2011 began. First of all, a man DOESN'T need to marry or live in bondage to a woman to have kids. Second,having kids is at the top priority list of almost every woman and she should be grateful to the man who completed her bio cycle (any woman who feels different can always put her dignity aside and go queue up and pay through their nose 4 artificial insemination). Third,men are ALWAYS peaceful and less stressed until a woman brings her drama into his life so what the hell are you talking about? Fourth, there is nothing blessed or sacred about marriage. Its an ancient custom invented by our forefathers to protect the interest of their daughters. . .PERIOD! Fifth, there is nothing "gained" from marriage that cannot be obtained WITHOUT the marriage. Sixth, marriage is a win-win for women. Kids will always place their mom first b4 you inspite of the fact that you slave all day and nite to give them the good life. Seventh, why should a woman get half in this day and age of education for all? Can't she work? Or did she become handicapped after marriage? The same women who make such reetarded statements of "respecting" women's "rights" are the same ones that will put pressure on you for marriage/kids and after, they want settlement! ! !

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Nobody: 12:13pm On Mar 25, 2011
harakiri:

@nekai. . . I just couldn't endure all your biased and illogical statements to the extent i was to log in via phone. Did you blatantly say that men recieve half of a rich wife's wealth? How many examples can you bring to the table? How much did Kevin Federline get from Britney Spears? Was it half? How many of Madonna's ex-husbands were awarded half her wealth? Who is decieving who? Western laws are totally biased and support women 100%. Even if a wife cheats on the husband,brings home std's and gets pregnant for other men. . .she still has the upper hand in court. Tiger Woods was dumb to get married in the first place. You Nekai, stated that women should be compensated for bearing children and bringing "peace" to the home. This is one of the dumbest arguments i've heard since 2011 began. First of all, a man DOESN'T need to marry or live in bondage to a woman to have kids. Second,having kids is at the top priority list of almost every woman and she should be grateful to the man who completed her bio cycle (any woman who feels different can always put her dignity aside and go queue up and pay through their nose 4 artificial insemination). Third,men are ALWAYS peaceful and less stressed until a woman brings her drama into his life so what the hell are you talking about? Fourth, there is nothing blessed or sacred about marriage. Its an ancient custom invented by our forefathers to protect the interest of their daughters. . .PERIOD! Fifth, there is nothing "gained" from marriage that cannot be obtained WITHOUT the marriage. Sixth, marriage is a win-win for women. Kids will always place their mom first b4 you inspite of the fact that you slave all day and nite to give them the good life. Seventh, why should a woman get half in this day and age of education for all? Can't she work? Or did she become handicapped after marriage? The same women who make such reetarded statements of "respecting" women's "rights" are the same ones that will put pressure on you for marriage/kids and after, they want settlement! ! !
GBAM !!! bros don vex cheesy cheesy cheesy
samtoye:

Why do people bother to marry? you get all you need without marriage na, so why marry?
Samson u neva marry? wink wink wink wink wink
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Nobody: 12:24pm On Mar 25, 2011
harakiri:

Full-stop! Disagreeing with this man is often a herculean task. . .cos he's often on point.

2 Likes

Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by mcnepow(m): 12:25pm On Mar 25, 2011
harakiri. u no dey hapi oh! omo, see vexing. I agree wit most tinz u said but not all esp -evrytin achived in mariage kan b achivd without mariage.
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by PeeDaVinci: 12:39pm On Mar 25, 2011
anybody heard of pre-nuptial agreement?? read it up on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prenuptial_agreement

it is in vogue now in some countries, you may want to consider having one before saying "i do"
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by harakiri(m): 12:42pm On Mar 25, 2011
@mcnepow. . . Please, can you tell me ONE thing about marriage that cannot be obtained WITHOUT the marriage.

1 Like

Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Nobody: 1:12pm On Mar 25, 2011
harakiri:

People like you are probably in one corner begging one mgbeke to to marry them! cheesy cheesy
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by wazobiang: 1:16pm On Mar 25, 2011
I have always wondered at this alimony. There are cases of bitches (male and female) ripping off their former partner in other countries. Sometimes it is justified and sometimes even the foreign tabloids and crowd alike can't but cringing in pain as they sympathize with the one ripped off.

Some ladies marry a guy and divorce in a few years walking away with money they can never get if they counted census from south pole to north pole. The sad fact is, they know they surely know its not fair. Because almost immediately they buy new houses, new boobs, new bobos and proceed to spend sinfully.

In any case, I believe if you are filthy rich and live in such countries, except the lady is equaly as rich, just sign a prenup. At a level, marriage should be a business transaction. Ask Micheal Jackson, he did it properly -but that guy smart sha -, surrogate mothers for his children.
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by harakiri(m): 1:18pm On Mar 25, 2011
@ujujoan. . . I'm sorry but i'm not one of those desperate,insecure,unfocused,niave and societal pressured men who reduce themselves to begging MGBEKE'S like you for marriage.

3 Likes

Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Nekai(f): 1:22pm On Mar 25, 2011
First off, take a deep breath and relax.  kiss
You accuse me of being illogical. I may not always be right but I will sure be logical. I am therefore open to viewpoints that do not match my own, but you have to back up what you say.
harakiri:

@nekai. . . I just couldn't endure all your biased and illogical statements to the extent i was to log in via phone. Did you blatantly say that men recieve half of a rich wife's wealth?
No, I said that any assest earned during the marriage are split 50/50. I didn't create the law which is applicable in most U.S. states, I'm just reporting on it.

Kevin Federline and Brittany Spears had a prenup. They also only married for 2 years. He DID recieve a settlement worth about half of what she made in those two years.

Guy Richie did walk away with a large sum of money. Madonna's publicist stated it was between 76 and 92 million, although the exact details have remained private.
Check out this link for a few more famous wealthy women who had to payout when divorcing less wealthy men:

http://www.forbes.com/2007/04/11/celebrity-women-alimony-biz-cx_lg_0412womenpay.html
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Claus(m): 1:23pm On Mar 25, 2011
The principle behind the divorce settlement is that if one partner is reliant on the other financially (for whatever reason) during the marriage, then if the marriage breaks up, provisions should be made for the dependent partner.

It becomes even more important when the dependent partner made some sacrifices and where there are kids involved.

Unfortunately, it has become an avenue for SOME in the western world to get entitlement to money that they knew nothing about.

Having said that, the Nigerian (or maybe African) situation is extermely bad. A man can tell his wife that he wants her to be a housewife since he's earning enough to take care of the whole family. Ultimately, if he wants to end the marriage, he can just kick her out. That is a situation that certainly needs to be addressed. Although these cases can be pursued in court, the social stigma and slow legal process means that some women don't bother and then just end up suffering in silence.

1 Like

Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Nekai(f): 1:35pm On Mar 25, 2011
@harakiri - as far as the rest of what you have said, it is a whole separate argument. Notice I am not arguing that the woman is worth more or the man is worth more, because I think it is 50/50. I don't share your view that a man is doing a woman any special favors simply by virtue of marrying her. Or vice versa. Marriage has it's challenges whether man, or woman. This topic of who benefits more in a marriage has been debated on here before.

And again, I have never stated a woman should be compensated for bearing children or for bringing peace into the home.

An iron-clad prenup in Tiger's case would have prevented all this mess to begin with, like a PP stated. Peace  wink
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by harakiri(m): 1:38pm On Mar 25, 2011
@nekai. . . It's unfortunate that i'm using my phone else i would have re-posted your comment where you clearly indicated that women should be compensated for their "contribution" to marriage. Kevin and Guy Richie got generous settlements NOT half. Prenups are as good as tissue paper coz they can be contested and most times, the woman WINS! Haven't you heard legal claims of "coersion" and "mental incapacity" b4 the woman signed the prenup? If i was on my laptop right now, i would have pulled several instances of "prenups gone wrong". A woman can drop one cock and bull story stating that she wasn't ready or mentally stable when signing the document and the judge will rule on that with no objection. Prenup nullified,case closed! The same can NEVER apply if it were a man. So what are we talking about?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Census: My First Census Experience As A Single Living Alone. Hows It Going To Be / I Tried To Correct Her, What I Got Were Three Slaps, Husband Tells Court / Inter-tribal Marriages,....... How Did It Turn Out For You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.