Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,286 members, 7,811,849 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:13 PM

The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement (20566 Views)

Wife Awarded The Sum Of N92 BILLION For Divorce Settlement / Ex-wife Pays Divorce Settlement In Coins, Rice And Beans / Divorce Settlement And Child-Support Be Introduced In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Nobody: 10:27am On Mar 26, 2011
tpiah!:

tiger's ex-wife was also from a rich home though.

at least well-connected even if not as rich as tiger.

Story
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Nobody: 10:27am On Mar 26, 2011
How the fck can someone marry a man for 4 years and walk away with £5m upon divorce?

depends on net worth.
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Nobody: 10:28am On Mar 26, 2011
ferdiii:

Story

story, but do you think he'd pick anyone off the street to marry?
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Sagamite(m): 10:33am On Mar 26, 2011
chaircover:

Pro, this is not a main argument but it shouldn't be overlooked. It cant be easy married to a rich man with all their excesses. Rich men can be the most loud, self centered and selfish & arrogant people. Money brings out the worst in people and lets face it, you have to be a certain kind of person to be able to climb all over everyone to get to the top especially in the corporate world.

And so?

The courts should punish them and compensate the woman for them being self-centred, loud and arrogant?  grin

chaircover:

I am not saying go for the jugular but I believe that if possible the kids should not be at a disadvantage because mummy and daddy decided that they no longer want to be together and if for example the kid was attending private school, then that kid should be able to remain there.

I think we are talking about divorce settlements here, not child support.

Everyone should have a legal responsibility to support their child.

chaircover:

I have heard of some silly requests from women in alimony cases such as asking for £5000 a month on flowers but that is just plain silly.

And the courts are known to award such rubbish because she is "used to that lifestyle".

tpiah!:

depends on net worth.

On who's net worth?

And why should it depend on it?
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Nobody: 10:33am On Mar 26, 2011
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Sagamite(m): 10:44am On Mar 26, 2011
chaircover:

How do you calculate A & B? Lets leave C for now. I dont think either husband or wife will come up with the same figure for A & B and that is why the court decides.

A - What she earned during the relationship. Some women still do work.

B - What she realistically could have earned but sacrificed during the relationship by going on maternity leave to take care of their kids and/or by giving up a job to be a housewife or move closer to him or to follow him when he is transferred and she has to relocate and restart her career somewhere else and/or the potential rise in career that her aforementioned sacrifices lost her.
This realistic, not fairy-tale figures can be calculate by looking at the trajectory of her career and abilities she had built up before marriage and compare it with a normal distribution curve (in statistics, bell curve) of what her peers (the male ones) are earning without similar sacrifices, then something between the Mean (average) of the range and maximum of probably 3 standard deviations from the mean can be awarded. Maximum can be awarded in wealthier marriages where the women has demonstrated top of her peer group prior to marriage.

There maybe other approaches but any sensible and realistic approach will not lead to unworthy nannies and dental nurses making $100m from doing nada after a guy spent his childhood sacrificing fun to gain an ability to make him millions!

If she was a great partner and he is a decent guy, then C might take it $100m if she is worth it. But that should be his discretion in a sane system.

chaircover:

Saga lets not forget that are a lot of male judges & members of Parliament etc who make, pass and enforce these laws

That is the problem.

They did not make the laws based on egalitarianism, justice, fairness and logic. They made it as a political points acquirement gimmick.

Judges have no option but to work within the parameters set by the legislators.

chaircover:

Yes  grin

Ko shi!  tongue

You are trying to whine me up. grin I will hold you responsible for anything that happens to my blood pressure.  grin

chaircover:

These divorce settlements take the children into consideration especially if they will be living with mum

There should be a clear line of what is going to the ex and what is going ot the child where possible.

1 Like

Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Nobody: 10:50am On Mar 26, 2011
On who's net worth?

whoever is richer.

And why should it depend on it?

some people have 5 dollars to give, others have 500 million to dispose of as they like.

should a person worth 500 million give 5 dollars?
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Nobody: 10:52am On Mar 26, 2011
tpiah!:

whoever is richer.

some people have 5 dollars to give, others have 500 million to dispose of as they like.

The men are mainly richer and so the target. I respect people who protect their assets from these wolves. Ronaldo, Owen and other footballers are not allowing themselves to be ripped off by those judges and silly wives.

1 Like

Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Sagamite(m): 10:54am On Mar 26, 2011
tpiah!:

whoever is richer.

Why shouldn't the person give 5 dollars, if the ex is worth 5 dollars and the richer one is not interested in giving more?

The richer person worked for his/her money. The ex should go and work for theirs or be nice human beings enough for the richer person to feel humane to want tot give something significant.

I am not against people giving alot of money, I just think it should be at the wealthier partner's discretion over THEIR OWN MONEY, not some mooronic western courts.

1 Like

Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Nobody: 10:58am On Mar 26, 2011
well, if a matter has to go through the legal system, then it's out of the parties involved's hands.

others decide these things, not the warring factors.
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Sagamite(m): 11:00am On Mar 26, 2011
tpiah!:

well, if a matter has to go through the legal system, then it's out of the parties involved's hands.

others decide these things, not the warring factors.

What other things can justify someone that is not talented milking you for things you spent you life (mostly from childhood) working hard for?

The point is that the legal system is mooronic and biased!

1 Like

Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Nobody: 11:25am On Mar 26, 2011
well, each lifestyle comes with risk.

you like sexy bodies, then you shouldnt complain if sexy bodies also like your money.

everybody has something they aim to achieve.

for some, its money via relationships, for others its the maximal amount of eye candy in their bed.

all's fair in love and war.

maintenance is costly.
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Sagamite(m): 11:29am On Mar 26, 2011
tpiah!:

well, each lifestyle comes with risk.

you like sexy bodies, then you shouldnt complain if sexy bodies also like your money.

everybody has something they aim to achieve.

for some, its money via relationships, for others its the maximal amount of eye candy in their bed.

all's fair in love and war.

tpiah, that is not a logical argument to justify a law or suggest how a law should be made.

Even if I was to indulge your point, most cases do not involve women with the best sexy bodies. And choosing a woman without sexy body will not immune one from the injustice of these laws.
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by duduspace(m): 12:21pm On Mar 26, 2011
The law is an backside but most judges I know aren't and if you look deep within these cases, there are reasons for most settlement decisions taken which might not be immediately obvious.
Yes, some women are gold diggers but then some men are also stone hearted b*stards and people do exploit the law for their selfish gain.
You make the greatest mistake in life when you draw general conclusions without looking into intricacies of individual cases.
There is nothing wrong with divorce settlements, it was primarily drawn up in the past to protect women who had sacrificed their own careers to raise their kids while the men progressed with their own lives and careers, there were cases in the past where 30 year old marriages ended and devoted wives were left to pick up the pieces of their lives at old ages without any marketable skills while the men went with younger bimbos, surely that can't be right? undecided
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Sagamite(m): 12:38pm On Mar 26, 2011
duduspace:

The law is an backside but most judges I know aren't and if you look deep within these cases, there are reasons for most settlement decisions taken which might not be immediately obvious.
Yes, some women are gold diggers but then some men are also stone hearted b*stards and people do exploit the law for their selfish gain.
You make the greatest mistake in life when you draw general conclusions without looking into intricacies of individual cases.

Lets give you the freedom of thought and liberty of conjecture throwing.

Please explain to me, the range of possible reasons that would have made Heather Mills worthy of £24m.

Or you can also pick the one of the Miller woman I posted the link earlier. Explain to me the range of possible reasons that is logical for her to get £5m after 3 years of marriage without kids.

1 Like

Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Nobody: 1:01pm On Mar 26, 2011
Lets just assume they won the lottery. Or hit the jackpot. Nobody said life is fair.
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by duduspace(m): 1:05pm On Mar 26, 2011
Sagamite:

Lets give you the freedom of thought and liberty of conjecture throwing.

Please explain to me, the range of possible reasons that would have made Heather Mills worthy of £24m.

Or you can also pick the one of the Miller woman I posted the link earlier. Explain to me the range of possible reasons that is logical for her to get £5m after 3 years of marriage without kids.

Firstly you think too much of yourself to think yu are granting me any freedom of thought, that statement is unnecesarily arrogant. I require no such freedom of you, I have it already.

Secondly, Heather Mills had a child for Sir. Paul and while everyone sees her as a gold digger (which I have no doubt that she is) should Sir Paul's daughter also suffer for the public perception of Heather Mills? From the judge's perspective, the child is entitled to the same quality of life she would have been entitled to if Heather was still legally married to Sir Paul and on the basis of that Heather Mills lawyers argued she was entitled to such an amount and the judge agreed with them. You can choose to believe what you want about the fairness of the settlement but that was the way the judge saw it and I'm bold to say that they have access to information that you still don't have till now.

I have not looked at the Miller case, but were you there when this man was toasting this woman and what he promised? You might not view it thus but like someone said previously, no one has the right to say he took someone from the streets and wants to return her there, that person in their own way have contributed something to the man's life whether he acknowledges it or not.

You are already taking up a position here that the man was treated unfairly without considering all the facts. It might not seem so to you but divorces are emotionally unsettling and that is enough cause to seek financial compensation. I am not arguing the fairness or otherwise of individual cases, you can try opening up individual threads for each one and lets discuss the merits and demerits of each case or better still if you get the opportunity to meet the judge of each case, ask them why they made such rulings but to call divorce settlement nonsense is for want of a better word pretty silly.

If yu're scared of being exploited, then the law also gives you the option of a pre-nup so both of you are going into the marriage with eyes wide opened.
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Sagamite(m): 1:29pm On Mar 26, 2011
tpiah!:

Lets just assume they won the lottery. Or hit the jackpot.  Nobody said life is fair.

Life might not be fair, but that does not mean it is acceptable for us to make laws that make it unfair.

duduspace:

Firstly you think too much of yourself to think yu are granting me any freedom of thought, that statement is unnecesarily arrogant. I require no such freedom of you, I have it already.

First of all, when I said "Lets give", I did not mean myself, I meant everyone reading should allow you to conjecturise. If I meant myself, I would have said "Let me give you".

Secondly, I do think a lot myself. For good reasons. I am confident, not arrogant.

duduspace:

Secondly, Heather Mills had a child for Sir. Paul and while everyone sees her as a gold digger (which I have no doubt that she is) should Sir Paul's daughter also suffer for the public perception of Heather Mills? From the judge's perspective, the child is entitled to the same quality of life she would have been entitled to if Heather was still legally married to Sir Paul and on the basis of that Heather Mills lawyers argued she was entitled to such an amount and the judge agreed with them. You can choose to believe what you want about the fairness of the settlement but that was the way the judge saw it and I'm bold to say that they have access to information that you still don't have till now.

First of all, you made an error. The money (or majority of it) was awarded to Heather Mills as her worth in the Marriage. The child maintenance was a different award and different from spousal divorce settlements.

That said, I find a system erring in determining to people the standard of life their kids should live based on their income.

I for one, if I was rich, would not want to spoil my kids. I will not send them to snubbish private schools. I would not buy them a Range Rover when they are 16. When (not if) they work in a fastfood joint/restaurant and they can save up to buy a Jeep, I would help them launch it. That is my choice and I should have a fundamental right to make that choice about how my kids should grow up and the mentality they develop.

The courts in a sane system should only be able to set a reasonable minimum standard of living for kids which can vary based on wealth, but should reach only a reasonably optimal maximum, not a luxury maximum. Kids living in luxury should be a parents choice. Warren Beatty, despite being a billionaire, choose to live a moderate life and his kids also lived such life. He should have a right to that decision about the offsprings he raised.

duduspace:

I have not looked at the Miller case, but were you there when this man was toasting this woman and what he promised? You might not view it thus but like someone said previously, no one has the right to say he took someone from the streets and wants to return her there, that person in their own way have contributed something to the man's life whether he acknowledges it or not.

Sorry?

What kind of promise?

Na im born am that he has to take her off the streets and keep her off it?

duduspace:

You are already taking up a position here that the man was treated unfairly without considering all the facts. It might not seem so to you but divorces are emotionally unsettling and that is enough cause to seek financial compensation. I am not arguing the fairness or otherwise of individual cases, you can try opening up individual threads for each one and lets discuss the merits and demerits of each case or better still if you get the opportunity to meet the judge of each case, ask them why they made such rulings but to call divorce settlement nonsense is for want of a better word pretty silly.

Amsorry?

Emotionally unsettling?

So people should be penalised for not wanting to be with someone else anymore and the other party is upset?

What happened to human rights?
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by biolabee(m): 1:39pm On Mar 26, 2011
thanks jare , dudu ive said the same thing since but they persist in their near--thal ways
all they hv being bringing up are extreme examples of tiger, paul mc cartney, ross perot
what about the many middle class families

gold digging is not new u forget males call thier own sugar boy or gigolos or wateva?!

phewwwwwwww

on matters gooners still blv in the finances we made a half year loss
i was thinking of the fan share thingie or shd we move to our thread
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Sagamite(m): 1:46pm On Mar 26, 2011
biolabee:

thanks jare ,  dudu ive said the same thing since but they persist in their near--thal ways
all they hv being bringing up are extreme examples of tiger, paul mc cartney, ross perot
what about the many middle class families

gold digging is not new u forget males call thier own sugar boy or gigolos or wateva?!

In middle classes, most divorces are likely to end in close to 50% as the potential ability is likely to be on par in majority of the cases.

But the reality is that the stewpid laws of the West is structured to be detrimental to rich men or men with potential for success. Intelligent laws are not simplistic, one-cap-fits-all and lack taking individual cases into account.

If they applied a more reasonable law like I inchoately put above to chaircover, then majority of people, be it poor, middle or upper class, will get what they are due. Injustice on both parties will be drastically reduce. In your opinion, is that not what laws should aim for and attempt?
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by biolabee(m): 2:14pm On Mar 26, 2011
Sagamite:

That said, I find a system erring in determining to people the standard of life their kids should live based on their income.

I for one, if I was rich, would not want to spoil my kids. I will not send them to snubbish private schools. I would not buy them a Range Rover when they are 16. When (not if) they work in a fastfood joint/restaurant and they can save up to buy a Jeep, I would help them launch it. That is my choice and I should have a fundamental right to make that choice about how my kids should grow up and the mentality they develop.

The courts in a sane system should only be able to set a reasonable minimum standard of living for kids which can vary based on wealth, but should reach only

most rich set up trusts for their kids to ensure they stay at the desired level
On rich pple u forget they have tax havens to shelter their weealth
iif i get u u are suggesting a tiered system
eg

1bn and above 5%
<500m 10%
<100m 20%
<50m 30%
<20m 40%
>1 <5m 45%
<1m 50%
this would be difficult to administer hence the equal rate across all people just like tax
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by duduspace(m): 2:15pm On Mar 26, 2011
Sagamite:

First of all, when I said "Lets give", I did not mean myself, I meant everyone reading should allow you to conjecturise. If I meant myself, I would have said "Let me give you".
That is still an arrogant attitude, why on earth would you presuppose to speak for everyone reading? many of whom you've never even met to know their minds in case you've forgotten? thats an abnormal feeling of self importance.  undecided
The forum already grants me the right to express myself, so I need no one's approval.

Sagamite:

Secondly, I do think a lot myself. For good reasons. I am confident, not arrogant.
Good for you, I've not said yu're arrogant, but yu've exhibited arrogance as I've pointed to you above.

Sagamite:

First of all, you made an error. The money (or majority of it) was awarded to Heather Mills as her worth in the Marriage. The child maintenance was a different award and different from spousal divorce settlements.
Well, it is left to the judges and lawyers to argue that out, if they've proved she is worth that much and a competent judge accepted, can you kindly point out your own reasons why you think she is not worth that much?  undecided

Sagamite:

The courts in a sane system should only be able to set a reasonable minimum standard of living for kids which can vary based on wealth, but should reach only a reasonably optimal maximum, not a luxury maximum.

You seem to be a very self absorbed person and give no thought to how your actions affect others at all and only able to look at things from a narrow and self seeking perspective, I'm struggling not to call you outright selfish. Are you aware at all that people would know that this girl is Sir. Paul's daughter?  undecided
So while growing up she should not be able to appear in the same settings as all of his other children? should feel disadvantaged because her mum divorced Sir Paul?
Can I ask a simple question? did Sir Paul actually ever complain to you? are you sure even his legal team didn't agree that the daughter was entitled to that amount?  undecided

Like I said and for emphasis, I'm not discussing individual cases here, it is the concept that Divorce settlements are wrong that I find silly. If you want to argue about Heather Mills then open up a thread for Heather Mill's settlement.

Sagamite:

Sorry?

What kind of promise?

Na im born am that he has to take her of the streets and keep her off it?

Amsorry?

Emotionally unsettling?

So people should be penalised for not wanting to be with someone else anymore and the other party is upset?

What happened to human rights?

Nothing has happened to human rights here, a matured individual went before the courts (or some spiritual or earthly authority) and committed to a marriage, probably has a child in the marriage and now wants to back out of it, there are penalties to pay and it is called being responsible.
Like I pointed out, the law also gives you an opportunity for a pre-nup so be wise and go into marriage with your eyes wide opened.
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by duduspace(m): 2:39pm On Mar 26, 2011
@biola

Make we go discuss gooner matter for gooner thread.
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Sagamite(m): 3:01pm On Mar 26, 2011
duduspace:

That is still an arrogant attitude, why on earth would you presuppose to speak for everyone reading? many of whom you've never even met to know their minds in case you've forgotten? thats an abnormal feeling of self importance.  undecided
The forum already grants me the right to express myself, so I need no one's approval.

You erred again in your understanding.

First of all, I did not speak for them, I requested of them.

Secondly, I did not grant you, I urged you.

I am intelligent enough to know I can not speak for people or grant freedom of speech to someone on a forum that is not mine.

duduspace:

Good for you, I've not said yu're arrogant, but yu've exhibited arrogance as I've pointed to you above.

I have no problem being wrongly regarded as arrogant, sometimes I actually urge it.

duduspace:

Well, it is left to the judges and lawyers to argue that out, if they've proved she is worth that much and a competent judge accepted, can you kindly point out your own reasons why you think she is not worth that much?  undecided

No, it is left to legislators to make sane laws.

Most times, the woman is not worth it because:

a) it is not her money
b) she did not earn it
c) she does not realistically have the prerequisite ability to earn it
d) someone else is being robbed to pay her money she is not worth

If she is worth it like the BET or Deloitte wife, then that is good. Nannies/dental nurses are not worth $100m, even if the $100m is a mere 3% of the assets. In a sane system, people should leave relationship with what they put in (plus whatever their ex willingly wants to give).

duduspace:

You seem to be a very self absorbed person and give no thought to how your actions affect others at all and only able to look at things from a narrow and self seeking perspective, I'm struggling not to call you outright selfish. Are you aware at all that people would know that this girl is Sir. Paul's daughter?  undecided
So while growing up she should not be able to appear in the same settings as all of his other children? should feel disadvantaged because her mum divorced Sir Paul?
Can I ask a simple question? did Sir Paul actually ever complain to you? are you sure even his legal team didn't agree that the daughter was entitled to that amount?  undecided

Like I said and for emphasis, I'm not discussing individual cases here, it is the concept that Divorce settlements are wrong that I find silly. If you want to argue about Heather Mills then open up a thread for Heather Mill's settlement.

You seem to be someone that struggles to ratiocinate and comes up with illogical arguments, I am struggling not to call you 2 famous words I call people on NL.

Have you for a second thought it is more of the responsibility of Paul McCartney to determine how his daughter is seen and in which settings she should appear, and not the courts' responsibility?

And don't ask me dumb questions about who complained to me. We are assessing a situation of life here that could potentially affect me or anyone else in society, and using the Paul McCartney's case as a case study. I don't need Paul McCartney to complain to me before identifying wrong and something that can affect me. That is an example of the ratiocination you struggle with and the illogicality of your points I pointed out earlier.

duduspace:

Nothing has happened to human rights here, a matured individual went before the courts (or some spiritual or earthly authority) and committed to a marriage, probably has a child in the marriage and now wants to back out of it, there are penalties to pay and it is called being responsible.
Like I pointed out, the law also gives you an opportunity for a pre-nup so be wise and go into marriage with your eyes wide opened.

Penalties to pay? grin

Really? It is by force to remain married? I did not know that? Can you enlighten me?

So the penalty only applies to one side?

So according to your "penalty for backing out" illogic, you did not ratiocinate that there are several cases of the woman being the one asking for a divorce (backing out) and still being awarded millions? Like Shaquille O'neal's wife? So how did your "logic" imply penalty for backing out? grin

Where is the penalty when a woman with 2 kids for a rich man cheats on him and then asks for a divorce? Does the penalty also fine her or she would still get his money because of the kids?

Or do you want to think and refine your statement?
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Sagamite(m): 3:08pm On Mar 26, 2011
biolabee:

most rich set up trusts for their kids to ensure they stay at the desired level
On rich pple u forget they have tax havens to shelter their weealth
iif i get u u are suggesting a tiered system
eg

this would be difficult to administer hence the equal rate across all people just like tax

Amsorry?

Why would it be difficult to administer?

Is it rocket science?

It is more complex than derivatives?

We don't already administer a tiered system in taxation, inheritance and property laws? Are those quite difficult?

Please answer.
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Sagamite(m): 3:54pm On Mar 26, 2011
Some of the answers I see here is the kind of responses you see people have to resist change. They look for anything to say to claim something will not work instead of a sound challenge of or logically challenging the solution being put forth.

Dug out from the library on my laptop on change management:

50 typical resistance to change
1. We tried that before.
2. Our systems are different.
3. It costs too much.
4. That’s beyond our responsibility.
5. That’s not my job.
6. We’re all too busy to do that.
7. It’s too radical a change.
8. There’s not enough help.
9. We’ve never done it before.
10. We don’t have the authority.
11. There’s not enough time.
12. Let’s get back to reality.
13. That’s not our problem.
14. Why change it? It’s still working OK.
15. I don’t like that idea.
16. You’re right, but …
17. You’re two years ahead of your time
18. It isn’t in the budget.
19. We’re not ready for that.
20. Sounds OK but impractical.
21. Let’s give it some more thought.
22. That’s my bowling day.
23. That doesn’t effect me or my child.
24. Nobody cares about that.
25. We’ve always done it this way.
26. It might not work.
27. Not that again!
28. Where’d you dig that one up?
29. We did all right without it.
30. It’s never been tried before.
31. Let’s shelve it for the time being.
32. I don’t see the connection.
33. What you are really saying is …
34. Let’s not be the first.
35. Maybe that would work in your Branch but not in mine.
36. Head Office will never go for it.
37. It can’t be done.
38. It’s too much trouble.
39. It’s impossible.
40. You’re not here to think.
41. Can’t teach an old dog new tricks.
42. Let me think about that and I’ll get back to you.
43. Let’s wait until the next generation.
44. The rules say we can’t do that.
45. We can’t fight local government regulations.
46. That’s old/new business and can’t be discussed now.
47. That’s too serious a subject.
48. No one is interested.
49. It’s too early to think about it.
50. It’s too late to start.
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by biolabee(m): 4:32pm On Mar 26, 2011
What i mean by tier is that the system does not specifically identify u as rich and taxes u more
there is a flat rate
corporate tax is charged at 30% while individual is taxed up to 40 depending on the earning potential
so what do u propose if u say we are bogged down with old mentality thinking

dudu point taken, r u watching the wales debacle?
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Sagamite(m): 4:41pm On Mar 26, 2011
biolabee:

What i mean by tier is that the system does not specifically identify u as rich and taxes u more
there is a flat rate
corporate tax is charged at 30% while individual is taxed up to 40 depending on the earning potential

Well, what I am saying is that the system should!

Intelligent laws do not apply one-hat-fits all and apply a flat-rate when it can easily indivdualise each and make more sense.

Such flat-rate is why we see injustices.
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by dayokanu(m): 4:49pm On Mar 26, 2011
biolabee:

there is a flat rate

Where a partner contributed 70% should he be given 30% or if the partner contributed 1% should she be given 30%?
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by duduspace(m): 4:56pm On Mar 26, 2011
Sagamite:

You erred again in your understanding.
First of all, I did not speak for them, I requested of them.
Secondly, I did not grant you, I urged you.
If at all I erred, in my understanding of what you meant, then it is because you were not clear in your statement, it is absurd for anyone to refer to themselves in the plural.

Sagamite:

I am intelligent enough to know I can not speak for people or grant freedom of speech to someone on a forum that is not mine.
I have no problem being wrongly regarded as arrogant, sometimes I actually urge it.

Another abnormal behaviour, why would anyone urge someone to consider them what they are not?  undecided
well that is your own wahala, whatever rings your bell.

Sagamite:

No, it is left to legislators to make sane laws.
Your perception of sanity is different from another persons, from the perspective of those who made those laws you would as well be considered insane, silly or just plain ignorant to not understand what they are supposed to do for society.

Sagamite:

Most times, the woman is not worth it because:

a) it is not her money
b) she did not earn it
c) she does not realistically have the prerequisite ability to earn it
d) someone else is being robbed to pay her money she is not worth

a) Yes it is not her money but she is entitled to a portion of it by virtue of marriage
b) She doesn't need to, by virtue of marriage laws she is entitled to it
c) irrelevant
d) she didn't place a gun to his head when he made the choice to marry her

Sagamite:

If she is worth it like the BET or Deloitte wife, then that is good. Nannies/dental nurses are not worth $100m, even if the $100m is a mere 3% of the assets. In a sane system, people should leave relationship with what they put in (plus whatever their ex willingly wants to give).
Well, a sane society doesn't agree with you so you can draw your conclusions as to your own sanity.

Sagamite:

You seem to be someone that struggles to ratiocinate and comes up with illogical arguments, I am struggling not to call you 2 famous words I call people on NL.
you're a bit of a clown. what 2 famous words? and what concerns me what your famous words are?  grin grin
call me whatever you want and stop feeling self important, you should know that not everyone is overawed by pompousity.

Sagamite:

Have you for a second thought it is more of the responsibility of Paul McCartney to determine how his daughter is seen and in which settings she should appear, and not the courts' responsibility?
Have you for a second asked yourself why Paul McCartney found himself in the court in the first instance?  undecided
Is Paul McCartney the only parent? or because he is the richer parent that means he should be the only one who determines what the child should or should not do?

Sagamite:

And don't ask me dumb questions about who complained to me. We are assessing a situation of life here that could potentially affect me or anyone else in society, and using the Paul McCartney's case as a case study. I don't need Paul McCartney to complain to me before identifying wrong and something that can affect me. That is an example of the ratiocination you struggle with and the illogicality of your points I pointed out earlier.
I find it funny you sound so illogical yourself and accuse someone else of illogicality.
1. You are not Paul McCartney
2. You were not married to Heather Mills
3. You do not know the circumstances surrounding the marriage except that which you read in some papers
4. Paul McCartney has never complained to you
5. A competent court took a decision after listening to both sides

and you're here talking of logicality?
Maybe if you stop being so full of yourself, you might start to make some sense.

Sagamite:

Penalties to pay? grin

Really? It is by force to remain married? I did not know that? Can you enlighten me?
Yes, marriage is a contract and if terminated like most other contracts have penalties which can also be waived depending on circumstances. What you should be asking is what the penalties are and not whether it is by force to remain married. The fact that it can be terminated alone should already tell someone who considers himself logical that it is not by force.

Sagamite:

So the penalty only applies to one side?

Where is the penalty when a woman with 2 kids for a rich man cheats on him and then asks for a divorce? Does the penalty also fine her or she would still get his money because of the kids?

Or do you want to think and refine your statement?

No, I think it is you who needs to enhance the depth of your reasoning, it is quite shallow, one sided and myopic. Someone else could argue that Heather Mills is already getting less than she bargained for when she originally married Paul McCartney because she thought she was going to be with him for ever.
Your point is simple and seems reasonable to you but isn't in the eyes of the law. Yes you can marry and divorce when you choose to but you should look before you leap because there are other lives involved and the law will fight for those other lives.
If you can't see that then I give up on you.
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by duduspace(m): 5:17pm On Mar 26, 2011
biolabee:

Not really, I'm at work and had to evacuate the building due to a fire scare.
Re: The Nonsense Called Divorce Settlement by Sagamite(m): 5:26pm On Mar 26, 2011
duduspace:

If at all I erred, in my understanding of what you meant, then it is because you were not clear in your statement, it is absurd for anyone to refer to themselves in the plural.

If you saw the plurality, maybe it should have urged you to ratiocinate I was not referring to myself but requesting of "people".

duduspace:

Another abnormal behaviour, why would anyone urge someone to consider them what they are not?  undecided
well that is your own wahala, whatever rings your bell.

To pepper them, if it is already paining them.

duduspace:

Your perception of sanity is different from another persons, from the perspective of those who made those laws you would as well be considered insane, silly or just plain ignorant to not understand what they are supposed to do for society.

Now that we have established that you are handicapped at ratiocination, I will explain to you.

To prove something is insane, you have to critically evaluate it. I have given a reason why theirs is insane, they will have to ridicule my arguments logically before they can claim it is insane. Only someone dumb will accept it is dumb by them just saying it is.

In the clerisy, you don't throw conjectures as assertions, you build it beautifully and erotically from critical analysis and evaluation that fellow intellectuals can follow.

duduspace:

a) Yes it is not her money but she is entitled to a portion of it by virtue of marriage
b) She doesn't need to, by virtue of marriage laws she is entitled to it
c) irrelevant
d) she didn't place a gun to his head when he made the choice to marry her

grin grin grin By virtue of marriage? Explain.

I am being generous as I am 158% sure the ratiocination would be weak, but it is fair to allow you explain.

duduspace:

Well, a sane society doesn't agree with you so you can draw your conclusions as to your own sanity.

Refer above to the critical evaluation approach I introduced to you above.

duduspace:

you're a bit of a clown. what 2 famous words? and what concerns me what your famous words are?  grin grin
call me whatever you want and stop feeling self important, you should know that not everyone is overawed by pompousity.

I was more hoping  you would be overawed by the intellect.  grin

duduspace:

Have you for a second asked yourself why Paul McCartney found himself in the court in the first instance?  undecided
Is Paul McCartney the only parent? or because he is the richer parent that means he should be the only one who determines what the child should or should not do?

Are you having a laugh?  grin grin grin grin grin

If Heather Mills wants and demands her daughter to live a certian life that Paul does not want, then Heather should fund it?

F me! Is logic this hard?  grin grin grin

duduspace:

I find it funny you sound so illogical yourself and accuse someone else of illogicality.
1. You are not Paul McCartney
2. You were not married to Heather Mills
3. You do not know the circumstances surrounding the marriage except that which you read in some papers
4. Paul McCartney has never complained to you
5. A competent court took a decision after listening to both sides

and you're here talking of logicality?
Maybe if you stop being so full of yourself, you might start to make some sense.

Do you understand the meaning of case study?  grin grin grin grin

Or do you just struggle to comprehend?

duduspace:

Yes, marriage is a contract and if terminated like most other contracts have penalties which can also be waived depending on circumstances. What you should be asking is what the penalties are and not whether it is by force to remain married. The fact that it can be terminated alone should already tell someone who considers himself logical that it is not by force.

Oh you did not go there?  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Tell me  you did not go there.  grin grin grin grin grin

Please say ya din't. grin grin grin

What contract? What a silly assertion?

So a woman that is being battered by her husband should be penalised because she asked for divorce and broke the "contract"?  grin grin grin grin grin

Remember your so-called "contract"  grin grin grin grin grin normally states:

"I, (name), take you (name), to be my (wife/husband), to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward until death do us part."

I don't see any part that said, if you batter me, then I have a right to end this "contract". So should she be penalised for ending the "contract" as you called it?  grin grin grin

Use your brain before putting up a proposition to me, marriage is not a contract.

duduspace:

No, I think it is you who needs to enhance the depth of your reasoning, it is quite shallow, one sided and myopic. Someone else could argue that Heather Mills is already getting less than she bargained for when she originally married Paul McCartney because she thought she was going to be with him for ever.
Your point is simple and seems reasonable to you but isn't in the eyes of the law. Yes you can marry and divorce when you choose to but you should look before you leap because there are other lives involved and the law will fight for those other lives.
If you can't see that then I give up on you.

Your ridiculous ratiocination proven. grin

Depth of my reasoning is low?  grin I have not seen you critically evaluate and debunk my arguments, all you are just stating is that the status quo must be maintained and throwing mooronic conjectures about what "people could say".

Your current level of reasoning that is backing your argument can be equated to someone saying the law in Africa that shanks women in divorce sees such injustice as reasonable, and any proponent that disagrees with it's objection is only reasonable in the proponent's eyes and if women don't like it, they should look before they leap.

I bet even at your level of reasoning, you would admit that is a lame argument?

You need to learn how to critically evaluate.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

How Would You Express Your Displeasure To Your Wife?? / Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores / Set Of Triplets Delivered In Bayelsa On New Year's Day (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 159
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.