Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,613 members, 7,770,631 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 12:15 PM

African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots (65534 Views)

Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba / The Love-Hate Relationship Between Africans, African Americans And Islanders / Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 2:51am On Apr 19, 2011
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by ezeagu(m): 3:33am On Apr 19, 2011
MzDarkSkin:

cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool

I am of African American and Jamaican descent. Both sides have a significant amount of Igbo roots however we cannot forget about Senegal, Ghana, the Kongo, Benin, Togo, Ivory Coast, Cameroon and Angola who have all contributed to the slave trade.  I have all of the above in my blood  smiley or heritage.

You are right that Nigeria contributed the most however the reason we reach out to and invest in/move to Ghana is because they are the most inviting. Ghana, apart from the 'first world countries' and Panama/Costa Rica, has the highest number of Jamaican nationals/descendants who have settled abroad living outside of Jamaica there, Rita Marley being one of them. Even in Jamaica where we are CLEARLY a mix of Igbo (a little Yoruba), Ashanti and various Congolese tribes each contributing to the culture (Igbo and Akan/Ashanti being the two biggest influences) we still have more of a sense of connection with our Ghanaian roots. The way we are taught is like Nigeria was much more ruthless and cold in regards to sending us away so there is a lot of resentment as far as Nigeria goes despite the fact that most of our heritage began with a walk from the N. Delta to Badagry. There doesn't seem to be an interest in us when it comes to Nigerians which is why we avoid Nigeria on a larger scale.

Where did they get this from? Nigeria, well, eastern Nigeria doesn't even have any slave castles.

The reason why many Jamaicans feel more connected to the Ghanians is not necessarily because of culture, or Nigerian evilness, but because of the living culture of the Maroons which they can still see and hear today, unlike Igbo culture which is hidden inside overall Jamaican culture. The other reason for the connection is because most Jamaicans think that they are mostly from Ghana because of 1. the popularity of the Maroons 2. because of the exaggeration of Ghanaians in European books and 3. because of Jamaican ignorance to the rest of the continent of Africa. An average Jamaican does not know that unu is a Igbo word, or obeah is Igbo spirituality or that akara is a Nigerian snack. Jamaicans even shout 'awoh', grin which just shows how ridiculous it is to feel more connected to Ghana, I mean, many Jamaicans look exactly like eastern Nigerians.

3 Likes

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 3:36am On Apr 19, 2011
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by AChigozie1(f): 7:56am On Apr 19, 2011
I really wish people wouldn't tell such lies about AAs, the poster that says we were taught that Nigerians were the most ruthless is a bold face liar!!! The fact of the matter is that we are taught very little about our African heritage. What we do learn is either through our families or books.

Some have expressed their desire to see more AAs embrace their Igbo roots, I agree. When AAs learn about the Igbo culture they want to identify and embrace it. However, please know that AAs are a mixture of various African ethnic groups because people were purposely divided from their own, in order to limit the amount of rebellions.

The reason why Swahili is taken up by some AAs is because of Kwanza, a holiday that was created by Maulana Karenga who I think studied in Kenya for a portion of his doctorate. Had he studied somewhere in Igbo land, the disconnect would not exist. I tell people all the time that Kenya is in Eastern Africa and that we are descended from people who were from west and west central Africa. Now that we have President Obama, I don't see anyone wanting to limit our connection to Kenya, but that doesn't make us Kenyan.

Also AAs were very much involved in the anti-apartheid struggle, Mandela is revered here as he is worldwide, however, Oprah mistakenly thought she was Zulu, when, if she had been even a casual student of history, she would have known her people came from west or west central Africa, NOT South Africa. When she discovered she was descended from the Kpelle people, she seem to be disappointed. I'm glad she is helping the young women in SA, but now that she knows she is Kpelle, why not do something for them too? I think people want to be to be associated with Mandela, he does a great job at promoting his country and making AAs feel as if we have a ancestral connection to the SA people.

Ghana is well-known because of Kwame Nkrumah and Jerry Rawlings, along with the enslaved castles. Same for Senegal, isn't that were Goree Island is? I believe the early AA historians put too much emphasis on Egypt, simple because they did not know about the greatness of the African civilizations of West Africa and West Central Africa.

Anyway, I agree with the OP, I have mention this in another thread, but I have always known about my Igbo heritage due to my family oral history. Not too many AAs are able to trace their ancestors as far back as I, but I am very grateful that I am able to do so.

4 Likes

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 12:22pm On Apr 19, 2011
^^learn to read. Did I say AAs or Jamaicans? I thought I said JAMAICANS. thank you. ppl on this site who fail to read porperly always scream 'outrage' and turn around looking foolish. It's soooo annoying. AAs on a grand scale not taught much at ALL about Africa unless they do indep. research. I am half American and have lived in the States all my life, even went to an HBCU and a cross cultural University. I have NO reason to lie okay?

ezeagu:

Where did they get this from? Nigeria, well, eastern Nigeria doesn't even have any slave castles.

The reason why many Jamaicans feel more connected to the Ghanians is not necessarily because of culture, or Nigerian evilness, but because of the living culture of the Maroons which they can still see and hear today, unlike Igbo culture which is hidden inside overall Jamaican culture. The other reason for the connection is because most Jamaicans think that they are mostly from Ghana because of 1. the popularity of the Maroons 2. because of the exaggeration of Ghanaians in European books and 3. because of Jamaican ignorance to the rest of the continent of Africa. An average Jamaican does not know that unu is a Igbo word, or obeah is Igbo spirituality or that akara is a Nigerian snack. Jamaicans even shout 'awoh', grin which just shows how ridiculous it is to feel more connected to Ghana, I mean, many Jamaicans look exactly like eastern Nigerians.

Actually I do know that we have remixed Igbo words I know Unu comes from 'UNA' and I also know that Obeah the word is also native to Nigeria although I will say our Nigerian ancestors are were not the only ones who practiced it though. And yes we do say 'Oo' and 'Awoh' after our sentences and SOME of us look Nigerian but Ghana and the Congo also contributed in large numbers so we are justified in our connections with either or all. Not all of us are ignorant to the facts, Jamaican school teach us about Africa but being that the average Jamaican won't meet an African unless they venture outside of the west indies or travel to the country sides to learn more about our roots, they won't see discussing or indulging in it to be necessary. It doesn't mean they don't know and of course you have some ignorant ones who do not care.

Snappia it's "get THE stepping" and please do. Also refrain from following me while you are at it, goat mouth.

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by THEAMAKA(f): 12:41pm On Apr 19, 2011
@topic
lol, Nigeria barely has enough room for its own citizens, so why should AAs even want to go and settle Nigeria to begin with? come on now! lol.
and can we stop with the naija dissing please?
and why mention slavery and how Nigerians ruthlessly sent you away? I'm sorry but a slave is a slave no matter what. which many were still sold whether they were from Nigeria or not. SMH.

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 2:30pm On Apr 19, 2011
^^ okay. Glad you have offered your opinion.
We are discussing[b] my history[/b] tho. and whether you or I like it or not
slavery was not a 'skip under the rainbow' it was harsh. Nobody is bashing Nigeria
okay? We are dealing with facts and who said anything about us wanting to settle in Nigeria?
I must be missing something.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by THEAMAKA(f): 2:38pm On Apr 19, 2011
I'm also referring to earlier comments. chill out.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bokohalal(m): 2:56pm On Apr 19, 2011
@Ezeagu, @ChinenyeN, @EzeUche, please help me out here.An Igbo colleague of mine told me that over 90% of Igbo slaves in the new world were Osus.Is this true?
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by ezeagu(m): 4:29pm On Apr 19, 2011
bokohalal:

@Ezeagu, @ChinenyeN, @EzeUche, please help me out here.An Igbo colleague of mine told me that over 90% of Igbo slaves in the new world were Osus.Is this true?

Osu's are servants of a god, they can't be sold because they are dedicated to that god. Some communities are even scared to be in the same living space with them. Most Igbo slaves were people who were seen as criminals.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bokohalal(m): 5:46pm On Apr 19, 2011
Thank you.I will let him know.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by AChigozie1(f): 6:34pm On Apr 19, 2011
ezeagu:

Most Igbo slaves were people who were seen as criminals.

This is a horrible lie that too many Africans have "convinced" themselves of, I understand why people would embrace such lies, it helps one justified the treachery committed by one's ancestors. I don't have any animosity towards the current generation of Africans, I only have animosity towards the people that participated in the raids and kidnappings of my ancestors. I curse those individuals who did such acts, for they through their wickedness and greed bought the wrath of God onto to their descendants. This is why the continent has suffered wars, famine, poverty, corruption, colonialism, etc. for centuries. Not until ALL current day Africans, STOP promoting such LIES that the people who were sold into enslavement were criminals or thought to be criminals will the curse be lifted.

The enslavers purchased children as young as five years old, how could those babies possibly be criminals? The enslavers bought men and women in their prime, they did not purchased the elderly of infants (unless the enslaved women were already pregnant), you mean to tell me the millions of Africans were all criminals? Please stop with the distortions of history, you only continue the curse.

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 6:36pm On Apr 19, 2011
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by ezeagu(m): 8:52pm On Apr 19, 2011
A.Chigozie:

This is a horrible lie that too many Africans have "convinced" themselves of, I understand why people would embrace such lies, it helps one justified the treachery committed by one's ancestors. I don't have any animosity towards the current generation of Africans, I only have animosity towards the people that participated in the raids and kidnappings of my ancestors. I curse those individuals who did such acts, for they through their wickedness and greed bought the wrath of God onto to their descendants. This is why the continent has suffered wars, famine, poverty, corruption, colonialism, etc. for centuries. Not until ALL current day Africans, STOP promoting such LIES that the people who were sold into enslavement were criminals or thought to be criminals will the curse be lifted.

The enslavers purchased children as young as five years old, how could those babies possibly be criminals? The enslavers bought men and women in their prime, they did not purchased the elderly of infants (unless the enslaved women were already pregnant), you mean to tell me the millions of Africans were all criminals? Please stop with the distortions of history, you only continue the curse.

That's why I say 'most' and 'seen'. The children weren't sold by a community like the majority were, they were captured by individuals like in the famous case of Olaudah Equiano (even his father apparently enslaved criminals and owned slaves), but the majority of those that were made slaves came through communities that sold them because they were war or general criminals. Whether these people are seen as criminals now or not is a different thing because a crime could be as little as killing a sacred animal then. The Igbo area did not have as much raids as those around them and the slave trade picked up when the Aro confederacy rose up. Among the Aro they had the Ibin Ukpabi shrine where many Igbo people went to settle court cases, the loser was to be killed, but the priests of the shrine began to sell them into slavery instead. The priests were said to later falsify some of the judgements because of the profit from the slave trade, or they'd capture all the people who came and sell them whole. On the other side, the Aro were a dominating force, you can compare them to the Old Vikings, and they demanded tributes from neighbouring communities, the communities then gave them people who committed abominations and war criminals officially, other individuals kidnapped people in secret. The whole thing is a mess, but you have to understand that it is not sensible to be bitter at old generations of Africans because they lost family members as well and some of them were slaves who never left Africa.

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Abagworo(m): 9:45pm On Apr 19, 2011
@topic@ezeagu.It is not true that most slaves were criminals.My ancestors fought a war of survival against the Aro and Abam that had some of us taken as slaves and sold to America.The abolishing of slave trade however saved some who are now natives of Buguma in Rivers State.We however still communicate till this day even though their ethnicity has changed to Kalabari.

The Aro Igbos and their Abam brothers pushed people of the Eastern and Midwestern Nigeria into giving up their brothers and sisters for slavery.

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by ezeagu(m): 10:20pm On Apr 19, 2011
The Aro weren't the only ones dealing with slaves, and as you can see from [url=http://www.google.com/search?q=igbo+slaves+criminals&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#sclient=psy&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&tbm=bks&source=hp&q=%22Equiano%27s+father+owned+slaves+himself+and+was+involved+in+the+enslavement+of+criminals.%22&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&fp=b91140e7cc47e4f6]here[/url], even Olaudah Equiano's father enslaved criminals all the way on the other side of the Niger. The communities that paid tribute to Aro didn't give them their brothers and sisters because that would not have lasted the 200 years or so it did, it's obvious they were given them criminals and other war captives. Other major slave trading towns were around Nkwerre, around what is now Enugu, in Aboh, and around Onicha.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Abagworo(m): 12:30am On Apr 20, 2011
There was a slave port at Oguta and Aro controlled it.Till this day the Abam settlement is still known in Nkwerre.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by ezeagu(m): 12:36am On Apr 20, 2011
What I would say is that I would change 'criminals' to 'war captives', I mixed up criminals with war criminals. So anyone captured in wars were sold as slaves (this was different to raiding because those were captured on the battle field along with some families). These were the majority of the slaves shipped out to the Americas, enriching other people lands.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by MaziUche0(m): 2:05am On Apr 20, 2011
Abagworo:

@topic@ezeagu.It is not true that most slaves were criminals.My ancestors fought a war of survival against the Aro and Abam that had some of us taken as slaves and sold to America.The abolishing of slave trade however saved some who are now natives of Buguma in Rivers State.We however still communicate till this day even though their ethnicity has changed to Kalabari.

The Aro Igbos and their Abam brothers pushed people of the Eastern and Midwestern Nigeria into giving up their brothers and sisters for slavery.

Now I know why you have so much hostility towards me. Must I pay for the sins of my forefathers? angry
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by MaziUche0(m): 2:07am On Apr 20, 2011
The fact remains that most Igbo slaves were captured in warfare between the various clans. That is why I say to many of my AA friends, that some of your ancestors were indeed warriors, but were just people who lost wars. Some slaves were the outcast of communities such as criminals and others were warriors who were captured in battle.

People cannot put the blame solely on the Aro Igbo and our allies. Most clans in Igboland participated in the slave trade. Igbos in Onitsha acted as middle men in that region as well. The slave trade existed in Anioma as well. It wasn't an Eastern Igbo phenomenom.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by ChinenyeN(m): 3:19am On Apr 20, 2011
It may not have been an Eastern Igbo phenomenon, but it was your confederacy that went the extra mile with it and then some. So of course, the first thing that comes to mind is you all. I'm curious though as to the constitution of the slave/captive population. How much of them were captured warriors? How many were victims of raids/kidnappings? How many criminal, etc.? I've got my own thoughts on this, mostly from things I've been told, but I don't really know enough to say, and I'm speaking particularly about the case of eastern/southeastern Nigeria and not west Africa, or Africa as a whole.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by ezeagu(m): 5:02pm On Apr 20, 2011
Aboh people were said to be as aggressive as the Aro, and they even held Hausa slaves, but they are less popular, maybe because their kingdom didn't last to the very end of the time Africans were free, like Aro did and of course because of Ibin Ukpabi.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by AChigozie1(f): 6:07pm On Apr 20, 2011
MaziUche0:

The fact remains that most Igbo slaves were captured in warfare between the various clans. That is why I say to many of my AA friends, that some of your ancestors were indeed warriors, but were just people who lost wars. Some slaves were the outcast of communities such as criminals and others were warriors who were captured in battle.

Your usage of the word "most" destroys your argument.  Children were taken, women were taken, and all of those women were not warriors.  They were people simply  living their lives until a bunch of greedy evil slave raiders kidnapped them.  As I stated earlier, the continent will continue to be cursed until current day Africans STOP making excuses or justification for the enslavement of fellow Africans.  As a AA, white people at least here in the states, often retort that "your own people sold you", as if that someone clears their wicked ancestors of their crimes.  My comment to that is that Africans didn't sell their "own" people, I may be wrong and please correct me if I am, but it is my understanding that only in rare cases, did Africans "sell their own", meaning they sold people outside of their communities and families.  So an Aro-Igbo wouldn't have any qualms about selling Igbos from different areas.  But they wouldn't necessarily sell Aro-Igbos, Is that assumption correct? 

MaziUche0:

Now I know why you have so much hostility towards me. Must I pay for the sins of my forefathers?  angry
YES!!!! By being ashamed and remorseful for their evil acts. 

ezeagu:

What I would say is that I would change 'criminals' to 'war captives', I mixed up criminals with war criminals. So anyone captured in wars were sold as slaves (this was different to raiding because those were captured on the battle field along with some families). These were the majority of the slaves shipped out to the Americas, enriching other people lands.

I appreciate you being more clear in your word usage.  The white supremacist society of the US, has always tried to classified AAs as criminals or anything not worthy of respect.  They would have us believe that Africans were and are savages and that they (white people) did our ancestors a favor by enslaving them. 

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by ezeagu(m): 6:31pm On Apr 20, 2011
A.Chigozie:

My comment to that is that Africans didn't sell their "own" people, I may be wrong and please correct me if I am, but it is my understanding that only in rare cases, did Africans "sell their own", meaning they sold people outside of their communities and families.  So an Aro-Igbo wouldn't have any qualms about selling Igbos from different areas.  But they wouldn't necessarily sell Aro-Igbos, Is that assumption correct?

The assumption is correct as it is for most other parts of Africa as well, and it also extended to who were made human sacrifices. I hear some people (white or black) actually believe that an African, for example, saw a mirror and decided to sell their daughter for it. The only instance I know where Igbo people sold their own, or the people they saw as their own were in civil wars (e.g in villages) and when there was an abominable crime as mentioned before, but even then the motives of the war would never be for profit for slavery and the civil wars lead to people being executed because whatever led to an actual civil war actually happening would have been very serious. Again, people have to remember that those who were sold had families left behind and the trade wouldn't have lasted 200 years, well Africans wouldn't have lasted 200 years if they were so open to selling their family members in such a profitable thing. Even in Things Fall Apart, you could see how the villages were about to go to war because of the murder of one of the villages women and the offended were open to sacrificing the other villages members, I wish there had been some sort of unification among the people that would have lessened the impact of slavery.

A.Chigozie:

I appreciate you being more clear in your word usage.  The white supremacist society of the US, has always tried to classified AAs as criminals or anything not worthy of respect.  They would have us believe that Africans were and are savages and that they (white people) did our ancestors a favor by enslaving them. 

And as you can see, even your ancestor was still holding onto his Igbo identity, which means he saw nothing in the new world that was supposed to have 'saved' him.

By the way, how can you say Africa is cursed, but say nothing about the people who were actually abusing the slaves?

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by ChinenyeN(m): 6:35pm On Apr 20, 2011
ezeagu:

Aboh people were said to be as aggressive as the Aro, and they even held Hausa slaves, but they are less popular, maybe because their kingdom didn't last to the very end of the time Africans were free, like Aro did and of course because of Ibin Ukpabi.
Yeah, makes sense, especially the Ibini Ukpabi factor.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by ajalio(f): 7:16pm On Apr 20, 2011
I todally agree with the OP. It's so important to know your roots.

For all who want to know who they are:

African Ancestry
Trace your DNA - Find your roots http://www.africanancestry.com/

Here is an example, though not Igbo.

[flash=200,200]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrQGVqC8TJI[/flash]

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by AChigozie1(f): 1:54am On Apr 21, 2011
ezeagu:

The assumption is correct as it is for most other parts of Africa as well, and it also extended to who were made human sacrifices. I hear some people (white or black) actually believe that an African, for example, saw a mirror and decided to sell their daughter for it. The only instance I know where Igbo people sold their own, or the people they saw as their own were in civil wars (e.g in villages) and when there was an abominable crime as mentioned before, but even then the motives of the war would never be for profit for slavery and the civil wars lead to people being executed because whatever led to an actual civil war actually happening would have been very serious. Again, people have to remember that those who were sold had families left behind and the trade wouldn't have lasted 200 years, well Africans wouldn't have lasted 200 years if they were so open to selling their family members in such a profitable thing. Even in Things Fall Apart, you could see how the villages were about to go to war because of the murder of one of the villages women and the offended were open to sacrificing the other villages members, I wish there had been some sort of unification among the people that would have lessened the impact of slavery.

And as you can see, even your ancestor was still holding onto his Igbo identity, which means he saw nothing in the new world that was supposed to have 'saved' him.

By the way, how can you say Africa is cursed, but say nothing about the people who were actually abusing the slaves?

I do have plenty to say about the people who committed those horrendous acts of cruelty, during and after enslavement.  For the most part AAs were very forgiving people, after the Civil War, they just wanted to find their families and create a fulfilling life.  But the evil white supremacists and the cowardly white people who didn't stand up to the evil whites, but gladly benefited from the continue social and economic oppression and exploitation of AAs, wouldn't allow them to live in peace. 

The trans-atlantic enslavement trade went on for more than 200 years, it went on for 4 centuries, that is 400 years.  The enslavement of human beings should not have been "lessen", it should have never happen in the first place!  What kind of people sell other human beings to strangers?  What kind of people think selling another human being is even o.k.?  When I was in college, I took a African History course, and the texts and the professor argue that enslavement in Africa, wasn't like the chattel enslavement Africans and their descendants experienced in the Americas.  He said enslavement in Africa was more akin to servant or apprentice.  I questioned how accurate that portrayal is.  Anyway, in case you haven't I strongly encourage you to read Walter Rodney's "How Europe Underdeveloped Africa", you will see how Africa being complicit in the enslavement of fellow Africans, sowed the seeds of its continued woes. 

Being that the enslavement trade went on for 4 centuries, I'm inclined to think that must have created an atmosphere where people lived in constant fear of being kidnapped or having their love ones kidnapped, if possible could you please recommend any books on that subject? Thank-You.

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by ezeagu(m): 5:18pm On Apr 21, 2011
A.Chigozie:

I do have plenty to say about the people who committed those horrendous acts of cruelty, during and after enslavement.  For the most part AAs were very forgiving people, after the Civil War, they just wanted to find their families and create a fulfilling life.  But the evil white supremacists and the cowardly white people who didn't stand up to the evil whites, but gladly benefited from the continue social and economic oppression and exploitation of AAs. 

The trans-atlantic enslavement trade went on for more than 200 years, it went on for 4 centuries, that is 400 years.  The enslavement of human beings should not have been "lessen", it should have never happen in the first place!  What kind of people sell other human beings to strangers?  What kind of people think selling another human being is even o.k.?  When I was in college, I took a African History course, and the texts and the professor argue that enslavement in Africa, wasn't like the chattel enslavement Africans and their descendants experienced in the Americas.  He said enslavement in Africa was more akin to servant or apprentice.  I questioned how accurate that portrayal is.  Anyway, in case you haven't I strongly encourage you to read Walter Rodney's "How Europe Underdeveloped Africa", you will see how Africa being complicit in the enslavement of fellow Africans, sowed the seeds of its continued woes. 

Being that the enslavement trade went on for 4 centuries, I'm inclined to think that must have created an atmosphere where people lived in constant fear of being kidnapped or having their love ones kidnapped, if possible could you please recommend any books on that subject? Thank-You.

I didn't say the slave trade should have been "lessen", I said it would have been lessened with unification. The slave trade became significant in the Bight of Biafra in a period that lasted around 200 years (something like around 1750—1850) which is more like 100 years. Africans know that the dealings with Europe has made Africa the poorest continent, but it cannot be because it is cursed because the children of who actually did the torturing aren't feeling anything. You need to read Olaudah Equiano's narrative to understand the slave trade in Igboland better.

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by AChigozie1(f): 6:07pm On Apr 21, 2011
ezeagu:

I didn't say the slave trade should have been "lessen", I said it would have been lessened with unification. The slave trade became significant in the Bight of Biafra in a period that lasted around 200 years (something like around 1750—1850) which is more like 100 years. Africans know that the dealings with Europe has made Africa the poorest continent, but it cannot be because it is cursed because the children of who actually did the torturing aren't feeling anything. You need to read Olaudah Equiano's narrative to understand the slave trade in Igboland better.

You are misinformed I know for a fact that my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather was forcibly put on an enslaved ship in 1710.  That is 40 years before 1750.  From information that I have come across, the earliest date of people being kidnapped from and sold into enslavement from Bight of Biafara was in 1656, that is almost a 100 years before your date of 1750. 

Here is the information: Voyage 21995, Rappahanock (1656) 
I encourage you to go to http://www.slavevoyages.org/tast/index.faces. to learn more.   

I read Equiano's narrative when I was a teenager, perhaps I should re-read it, however, I have come to questioned just how much he actually wrote, and how much was true, and not him or some editor making stuff up. 

Whether you agree with me or not, the continent is curse IMO, I say that with a heavy heart, I don't wish ill will toward my ancestral homeland.  But I do believe Africa, is being punished for the sins of your ancestors who sold their fellow Africans.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by PhysicsMHD(m): 7:17pm On Apr 21, 2011
^^^^

Your position is not logical. The Portuguese, Dutch, French, Spanish and  British have never suffered from any "curse" and it's unlikely that they will anytime in the future. That's what ezeagu was pointing out. Furthermore, this is the map of Africa:

[img]http://cuwhist.files./2011/01/trans-atlantic-slave-trade.jpg[/img]

^^^^

Are  you actually asserting that those African countries that are suffering and doing poorly today are specifically those that took part in the slave trade? Look at that map again. Ghana is improving each and every day, while Zimbabwe isn't. There are also some other examples.

And are you even claiming that those communities within each country that were either victims or powerless bystanders to the slave trade are also bearing the brunt of the "curse" from the actions of those around them, for no reason?

Moreover, there is really no such thing as a curse. There isn't even karma, anyway. The history of humanity strongly attests to that. Take a more rational approach to history and you'll see that the strong overpower and exploit those with less power, regardless of who is right or wrong.

2 Likes

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 8:13pm On Apr 21, 2011
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by AChigozie1(f): 12:06am On Apr 22, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

^^^^

Your position is not logical.

It is not logical to you, and others, but that is the truth.  All you have to do is read Walter Rodney's book.

The Portuguese, Dutch, French, Spanish and  British have never suffered from any "curse" and it's unlikely that they will anytime in the future.

Those countries didn't kidnapped and sell other Europeans, the Africans committed the that heinous act of selling other Africans.  Look I'm not going to keep going back and forth with you and others you refused to accept the truth.  Although some Africans became wealthy by enslaving other Africans, their evil deeds sowed the seeds for poverty, wars, exploitation, colonialism, etc.

That's what ezeagu was pointing out.
He himself acknowledged how Africa has been damaged and exploited, he just refuses as you do, to accept the truth about why such a continent as resource rich as Africa remains at the bottom. 

Furthermore, this is the map of Africa: 
That map is of the transatlantic enslavement trade, the trans-sahara enslavement trade aka Arab slave trade, was just as bad, and effected the southern and eastern part of Africa, which includes what is now Zimbabwe. 

Are  you actually asserting that those African countries that are suffering and doing poorly today are specifically those that took part in the slave trade?

YES!!!!!!!!

Look at that map again.
Go look at the trans-sahara aka Arab enslavement trade.
Ghana is improving each and every day, while Zimbabwe isn't. There are also some other examples.
Ghana "improvements" is still not up on the same level as more advance modernize nations. 

And are you even claiming that those communities within each country that were either victims or powerless bystanders to the slave trade are also bearing the brunt of the "curse" from the actions of those around them, for no reason?

YES!!!!!! but you failed or refused to admit there is indeed a reason, it is the selling of fellow Africans.  All you guys have to do is apologized for the evil acts of your ancestors and asked for God's forgiveness for their souls and asked for unification with us in the diaspora. Many of you are rightly ashamed by what your ancestors did, and show us in the diaspora nothing the but love and kindness.  But there are too many present day Africans who act as if nothing happen or feel as if we in the diaspora should "get over it".  For the most part we have, but it makes it difficult when present day Africans spew ignorance and hatefulness towards us and our ancestors. 

Moreover, there is really no such thing as a curse. There isn't even karma, anyway.

There is a curse, and there is such a thing called KARMA!  All one has to do is look to Africa. 

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Alaafin Of Oyo, Adeyemi At Gabriel Igbinedion 85th Birthday (Photos) / Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene / Interesting Facts About The Igbo People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.