Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,562 members, 7,770,457 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 10:51 AM

African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots (65533 Views)

Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba / The Love-Hate Relationship Between Africans, African Americans And Islanders / Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 9:08pm On Jan 20, 2013
@Kails, you are very good to know your history. My Jamaican ancestry is baffling, I don't attempt to go there. St Vincent was more of a refuge island for African slaves, but I can trace Indian and south American blood also. Trying to trace African heritage is confounded by ancesters who "island hopped" sad.

I'd like to see someone show interest in an Island that is not Jamaica for once undecided.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Blyss: 9:27pm On Jan 20, 2013
*Kails*:
^^SHUT UP THERE.
IF I HAD SAID IT YOU'D DISAGREE!

you are wrong on this subject. grin

Hold on now, keep your panties on there woman; I didn't say anything about the comment being wrong, I just said that I didn't have any evidence of it being fact, and I am only speaking on the issue I addressed in regard to Igboland once stretching into current Cameroon lands. smiley
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jan 20, 2013
Jamaican foods introduced by the Taino:

"Jamaican cuisine includes a mixture of cooking techniques, flavors, spices and influences from the indigenous people on the island, and the Spanish, British, Africans, Indian and Chinese who have inhabited the island. It is also influenced by the crops introduced into the island from tropical Southeast Asia. Jamaican cuisine includes various dishes from the different cultures brought to the island with the arrival of people from elsewhere."

Jamaican woman showing how the Taino women would grind their vegetation:

"Cassava/Yuka Root"

"Bammy" (Cassava cakes)

^^i dont like bammy. tongue

Jerk cause (I used to think Africans created this in Jamaica...guess not! lol)

During these visits he (Columbus) described a way the Arawaks (the indigenous inhabitants of Jamaica) preserved meat by adding peppers, allspice and sea salt to make what is now known as Jamaican jerk spice

Others:
Batata (sweet potato) was the next most important root crop.[13]
Contrary to mainland practices, corn was not ground into flour and baked into bread. Instead, it was eaten off the cob. A possible explanation for this is that corn bread becomes moldy faster than cassava bread in the high humidity of the West Indies. Taínos grew squash, beans, peppers, peanuts, and pineapples.

^^Maroons STILL do this today!

The “Holy Tree”, Indian Savin Tree and other cure ails

The Taíno contribution to folk medicine should not be overlooked nor underestimated (PayneJackson & Alleyne, 2004, p. 126). A number of these medicinal plants were discovered and used by the Taíno. Authors such as Gonzalo Fernández de Oviedo (1851-1855) and Henry Barham (1794) recorded Taíno uses of herbs which may have been incorporated in the enslaved African medical practices. The flower of the Lignum vitae is our national flower, but to the Taíno, guayacan, as they called it was “The Holy Tree”.

Trees on a whole were important as they believed that at night, trees received messages from the gods, and this is probably why many Taíno zemís are made from wood. Guayacan was magical and scared, not only as a source material for their religious paraphernalia, but due to its medicinal properties. A lignum vitae decoction was used by the Taíno as a remedy for yaya (syphilis), which was later adopted by Europeans.

In Jamaican folk tradition it has been used to treat bruises and pain (Lowe, 1972, p. 22). Arrowroot was also employed by the indigenous people to draw out poisons from snakes, stings (Barham, 1794, p. 7 & 235) and poison arrows.

^^Maroon culture that still exists today thanks to the Tainos.

Some Maroon still recite Taino folklore:

Mountain Pride and other legends.

Jamaica has a rich oral tradition, which was inherited from our African ancestors. Oral tradition was also integral to the Taíno society, during their areitos, which consisted of music, dance and ritual; they performed songs retelling their histories, and the origins and myths of their gods(Rouse, 1992). In Jamaica the telling of legends and folktales are important elements of our folk culture. “Mountain Pride,” “Martha Brae”, “The Golden Table” and “Lover’s Leap” are popular legends.

Three of these tales are associated with the Taíno and the Martha Brae legend was even incorporated into the plot of the LTM pantomime Arawak Gold (1992). In the interest of time, only the legend of Mountain Pride will be highlighted.

Mountain Pride was a beautiful Taíno girl, who was to wed her love the Cacique. A chief priest who wanted her for himself murdered her love on their wedding day. Mountain Pride refused to give herself to the chief priest, as such threw herself over a cliff falling to her death. Where she fell, there soon grew a beautiful tree with a crown of magenta blossoms, representing the crown of feathers that Mountain Pride once wore. The tree still grows near limestone cliffs in her memory.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 9:35pm On Jan 20, 2013
Faces of two Maroonian Jamaicans with Taino ancestry:

(Shirley Genus from Savanna-la-Mar; Jamaica. She also displays the prominent bone structure of the Tainos.)
[img]http://4.bp..com/-3LSdonZoXwI/Twy7Un-bL9I/AAAAAAAAAF4/K2IS3VGVsWw/s640/Jamaican+Yamaye+Taino+woman.jpg[/img]

(Colin from the article i posted on genetics)
[img]http://2.bp..com/-TDpZazm8oJM/Twy7y_XOHmI/AAAAAAAAAGA/I8FMjwoMZRw/s640/Colin+Ray+Jackson_Jamaican+Taino.jpg[/img]
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 9:37pm On Jan 20, 2013
[size=48pt]PAGAN_9JA DEBUNKED![/size]
case closed!
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 9:39pm On Jan 20, 2013
Blyss:

Hold on now, keep your panties on there woman; I didn't say anything about the comment being wrong, I just said that I didn't have any evidence of it being fact, and I am only speaking on the issue I addressed in regard to Igboland once stretching into current Cameroon lands. smiley

sir i addressed that and you ignored it.
i said the bright of biafra is not igboland, but territory of many east nigerian and west cameroonian tribes.

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 9:40pm On Jan 20, 2013
Flytefalls: @Kails, you are very good to know your history. My Jamaican ancestry is baffling, I don't attempt to go there. St Vincent was more of a refuge island for African slaves, but I can trace Indian and south American blood also. Trying to trace African heritage is confounded by ancesters who "island hopped" sad.

I'd like to see someone show interest in an Island that is not Jamaica for once undecided.

your post seems a little suspect.
i won't lie. i've had a few ppl on here claim to be Jamaican but then it turned out they were faking it like rudebwoy and black kenichi. i hope you're not one of them. no jamaican i know would say that.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 9:58pm On Jan 20, 2013
bigfrancis21:
Well said, bro.
OMG! I once read somewhere that some AAs still bear 'eboe' as surname.

"Eboe" is a british sirname. grin

http://lastnames.myheritage.com/last-name/Eboe
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 10:05pm On Jan 20, 2013
^^i did more research.
you guys may have a point..i said MAY! tongue

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/slavery/pdf/Topic7-LR2-SlaveryintheCaribbean.pdf

Naming practices for slaves varied, but it was common for planters to give newly
arrived Africans a European personal name such as Betsy or Sam. Sometimes
these names mocked the slaves’ lack of power by being deliberately grand, such
as Caesar or King George.

The slaves, however, often continued to use their African names among
themselves and also passed them on to their children. Some of these names can
provide clues to a family’s place of origin in Africa. For instance, Cuffee is a
variant of the name Kofi. This name comes from the Akan-speaking region of
Ghana and is given to a male child born on a Friday. The female variant of it is
Phibba. Other personal names of Akan origin include Quashee (Kwasi) for a boy
and Quasheba for a girl; Quamin (Kwame) and Mimba; Cudjoe and Juba.

Caribbean (Jamaican names):

Some of the slaves’ names indicate their place of origin in Africa. For
example Congo Bob suggests someone born in Congo, while Betty Eboe suggests
an Ibo woman from Nigeria. Coromantee indicates someone who was shipped
from around Kormantin slaving fort on the coast of Ghana. Try some searches on
Congo, Ibo (also Eboe, Ebo, Ibbo) and Coromantee.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 10:19pm On Jan 20, 2013
*Kails*:

your post seems a little suspect.
i won't lie. i've had a few ppl on here claim to be Jamaican but then it turned out they were faking it like rudebwoy and black kenichi. i hope you're not one of them. no jamaican i know would say that.
Ha! Don't I know about the faking lol. I'm just one Jamaican you don't know tongue. Gotta rep my other half too.

Well, I'm deffo 50% Jamaican although I bear a Chinese surname (paternal grandfather is fully Chinese although born in Jamaica). I am always astounded when conversations such as these cite Jamaica and little else to represent the Caribbean. But perhaps this is because more is known about this island because it is bigger and more developed. Whatever really, I ain't begging. I'm quite interested to know more about African slaves in the South Caribbean but I'll just look elsewhere grin
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 5:22am On Jan 21, 2013
hmmmm. ok. smiley
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by ezeagu(m): 8:23am On Jan 21, 2013
Flytefalls: @Kails, you are very good to know your history. My Jamaican ancestry is baffling, I don't attempt to go there. St Vincent was more of a refuge island for African slaves, but I can trace Indian and south American blood also. Trying to trace African heritage is confounded by ancesters who "island hopped" sad.

Like me? My favorite Islands are Dominica and Barbados. Barbados is the only majority African descended nation that has been rated with very high human development. Dominicas beauty is unmatched.

Plus these guys have had more Igbo presence. And by Dominica I mean the island of Do-mi-ni-ka, not Do-mini-ka.

2 Likes

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 9:57am On Jan 21, 2013
*Kails*:

The AAs bearing the surname, 'eboe' are british, right? Lmao. And the jamaicans, 'betty eboe', for eg are british too right? Lmao. I'm surprised you even brought evidence forward to support the 'eboe' surname fact after disputing it and calling it 'british'. You contradict yourself a lot. Confused sister. The igbo presence in the caribbean cannot be downplayed by you no matter how hard you try.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by ezeagu(m): 10:21am On Jan 21, 2013
*Kails*:

Eboe is actually a name some Igbo people bear, like this guy: Chile Eboe-Osuji. If you search Eboe in academic resources there's only one reference you'll get. The site seems to go back where the person registered from, the person is probably Igbo even.

I searched Chukwu, it's also a British surname according to them.

http://lastnames.myheritage.com/last-name/Chukwu

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 10:44am On Jan 21, 2013
ezeagu:

Like me? My favorite Islands are Dominica and Barbados. Barbados is the only majority African descended nation that has been rated with very high human development. Dominicas beauty is unmatched.

Plus these guys have had more Igbo presence.And by Dominica I mean the island of Do-mi-ni-ka, not Do-mini-ka.
Yes, like you!!!! grin
ROFL at bolded!!! Yes, Do-Mi-NEE-KA! I love being A British Jamaican-Chinese Vincentian, but loving is not enough. Now is the time for me to start "knowing". *holds head*
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 11:04am On Jan 21, 2013
ezeagu:

Eboe is actually a name some Igbo people bear, like this guy: Chile Eboe-Osuji. If you search Eboe in academic resources there's only one reference you'll get. The site seems to go back where the person registered from, the person is probably Igbo even.

I searched Chukwu, it's also a British surname according to them.

http://lastnames.myheritage.com/last-name/Chukwu
Not to talk of many igbo people that bear 'igbo' as surname or many derivatives of it such as 'igbokwe', 'igboanugo', 'igboamaeze', etc.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by tpia5: 3:06pm On Jan 21, 2013
Ibo or eboe is just as likely to be of portuguese origin as it is british, going by these claims.

And since the term ibo itself was applied to a part of nigeria, by westerners during the slave trade, these claims might not be too far fetched, upon further analysis.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 3:27pm On Jan 21, 2013
bigfrancis21:
The AAs bearing the surname, 'eboe' are british, right? Lmao. And the jamaicans, 'betty eboe', for eg are british too right? Lmao. I'm surprised you even brought evidence forward to support the 'eboe' surname fact after disputing it and calling it 'british'. You contradict yourself a lot. Confused sister. The igbo presence in the caribbean cannot be downplayed by you no matter how hard you try.

where have i contradicted myself sir? A lot you say? Show me.

Yes, do show me how i've contradicted myself when i was clearly discussing how another site claimed Eboe is also a European sirname...i then (unlike you) went and did MORE research to see that some slaves did get named after their ethnic groups. Hmmmm....contradicting? or is it me (unlike you) trying to know the facts?

and when have i EVER denied igbo presence in Jamaica? Please do show me...*ill wait*

if you can't tell the difference between "NOT ALL AFRICANS SENT TO THE NEW WORLD FROM AFRICA, MUCH LESS THE BRIGHT OF BIAFRA WERE IGBO (as you claimed lol) ALSO THAT IGBOS DID NOT ACCOUNT FOR 70-90 PERCENT OF OUR ANCESTRY" and "THERE WERE NO IGBOS IN JAMAICA/CARIBBEAN" then you sir need help.

I'm a proud Jamaican descendant who took time to know the history of my people. You won't use my history to play this "who had more influence" game...not on my watch sir.

Again, show me.
And @ Blyss I am still waiting for the name of that documentary...it's been a week now.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 3:40pm On Jan 21, 2013
Mrs.Chima:
Lol@blyss slayed!!

grin grin
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 3:44pm On Jan 21, 2013
*Kails*:

and there you have it.
blyss sit down.

@francis,

get it through your head, not one group in the west is all or mostly igbo.
we are all just as senegambian, kongolese, cameroonian, ghanaian, etc. as we are igbo/yoruba.
(i am naming nationalities because i don't have the time to name all of the tribes found within their borders that were involved in the slave trade.)

stop trying to claim us as only one thing or mostly one thing. our bloodlines are too mixed for that. it's very disrespectful of you to disregard the other groups of africans who also made us who we are - HYBRIDS/Mixed. igbos represent a portion of nigeria..not all. you don't even represent all of the eastern nigerian region sir. keep your tribalism and rivalry on nairaland. don't bring that bull to us when it comes to our history.

^^that's what i said. i've highlighted my points in case you don't understand the point. cheesy grin
the black folks in the west with names like "eboe" are just as mixed as the rest of us.
not even they are only/mostly igbo.

we've been out here since the 1600s sir (1500s if you're caribbean - damn!), there is no way to only name one tribe as our ancestral group. DNA testing only traces back 5 generations and then they will claim the ancestry that comes out the most...but its still not enough to tell us ALL of our ancestry and it never will.

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:09pm On Jan 21, 2013
*Kails*:
[size=48pt]PAGAN_9JA DEBUNKED![/size]
case closed!

YOU FOO.LISH WOMAN! HOW AM I DEBUNKED?! angry angry angry angry angry

you are stating everything i know and said earlier, in that the full-blooded Taino AS A TRIBE are extinct today and they have assimiliated with Afro-Jamos to form you today! angry
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:10pm On Jan 21, 2013
*Kails*:

^^that's what i said. i've highlighted my points in case you don't understand the point. cheesy grin
the black folks in the west with names like "eboe" are just as mixed as the rest of us.

we've been out here since the 1600s sir (1500s if you're caribbean - damn!), there is no way to only name one tribe as our ancestral group. DNA testing only traces back 5 generations and then they will claim the ancestry that comes out the most...but its still not enough to tell us ALL of our ancestry and it never will.

i liked this.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 6:54pm On Jan 21, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

YOU FOO.LISH WOMAN! HOW AM I DEBUNKED?! angry angry angry angry angry

you are stating everything i know and said earlier, in that the full-blooded Taino AS A TRIBE are extinct today and they have assimiliated with Afro-Jamos to form you today! angry

even that statement is false.
there are still full blooded or those who are genetically mostly tainos in south america and the caribbean mainly cuba and puerto rico. wink

PAGAN 9JA:

i liked this.

what kind of cookie would you like? smiley
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:56pm On Jan 21, 2013
*Kails*:

even that statement is false.
there are still full blooded or those who are genetically mostly tainos in south america and the caribbean mainly cuba and puerto rico. wink

ONLY FULL BLOODED CARIBS ARE LEFT! SHOW ME PROOF! angry
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 7:09pm On Jan 21, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As01jVTvLVI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y-iWkjenHw

these people gave my island it's name.

Jamaica = XAYMACA = land of wood and water. kiss kiss
they are my ppl too. smiley

interesting article about Tainos in cuba:
“Indians have appeared in the record ever since,” said Hartmann. Indigenous people established the city of Jiguaní in 1701 and formed the all-native Hatuey Regiment in the Cuban war against Spain in 1895. José Martí, founding father of Cuba’s independence movement, frequently mentioned Indians in his war diary. Mark Harrington, an American archaeologist conducting fieldwork in 1915 and 1919, found natives still hanging on in eastern Cuba. He was followed—in the 1950s, ’60s and ’70s—by anthropologists who scoured the region recording the skeletal structure, blood type and other physical attributes of Cuban villagers with indigenous ancestry. “So if you look to the past,” said Hartmann, “you see this long record of Indians living here. Anyone who says otherwise is speaking from ignorance.”

And today?

“Just look around!” said Hartmann, spreading his arms wide. In a week of exploring Baracoa and its environs, we had encountered many Cubans with the high cheekbones, coppery skin and other features that suggest Amerindian ancestry. And while it was clear that indigenous families have intermarried with Africans and Europeans, we met villagers in Baracoa and the nearby settlements of Playa Duaba and Guirito who proudly identified themselves as Indian. They kept the old traditions, planting their dense gardens, praying to the moon and sun for strength, gathering wild plants for healing and marking the passage of time without clocks or watches.

“When I see the vivijagua ant come out of his nest and crawl across the rafters in the morning, I know it’s time to go to the fields,” 75-year old Francisco “Panchito” Ramírez Rojas told us. “When the chipojo lizard comes down from the palm tree to get a drink of water, I know it’s noon. I also know it’s noon when my shadow disappears and I’m standing on my own head,” he said, getting up from our lunch table to illustrate his point.

A lean man bronzed by years in the sun, Panchito radiated a natural authority, which had earned him the title of cacique in the community of La Ranchería, not far from the U.S. naval station and prison at Guantánamo Bay.

Ramirez took the opportunity to search for useful plants in the woods along the Toa River. Striding up to a cedar, he patted the rough trunk as if it were an old amigo. “This tree is a relative,” he said. “It has feelings like we do, so it should be treated with respect. If you make tea from the bark of this tree, it has a lot of power. It’s good for colds and respiratory problems. But if you don’t ask permission before you cut the bark, it may not work. So I always say a little prayer so the tree knows I’m serious and I want to share its power. ‘Give me your strength for healing.’ That’s what I ask.”

Hearing Ramirez, I felt the hairs on the back of my neck bristling: His method of conversing with plants was almost identical to one described by 15th-century Spanish chroniclers. Although those accounts have been widely published, it is doubtful that Ramirez ever read them: He is illiterate. He learned his craft from a great-uncle and other elders who were natural healers in his mountain community.

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/people-places/What-Became-of-the-Taino.html#ixzz2IdPvHHb3
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 7:10pm On Jan 21, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

ONLY FULL BLOODED CARIBS ARE LEFT! SHOW ME PROOF! angry

im not really interested in showing you anything to be honest.
tainos are of no concern to you sir.

caribs too are mixed.

anyway...i'm out.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:16pm On Jan 21, 2013
*Kails*:

im not really interested in showing you anything to be honest.
tainos are of no concern to you sir.

caribs too are mixed.

anyway...i'm out.

go run away. .

Caribs are mixed (which makes them non-Caribs). however there are full-blooded Caribs left unlike Tainos.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jan 21, 2013
lol @ go run away.

not running. i'm just through with the thread.
i've made all of my points. wink
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 10:29pm On Jan 21, 2013
*Kails*:

Lmao. So i've become a tribalist just because i'm fighting the igbo cause, my own tribe? Did I go into name-calling of other Nigerian tribes? As you fight for your jamaican cause, what does that make you? A confused jamaican tribalist? Loll. I'm not sure you actually know what the word you used means. Another aspect of your big confusion!
You're hiding under the cover of being mixed and all that. True that may seem. However, you can't claim all ancestries to be in your lineage. By doing so you only add to your unquestionable confusion since you have no specific identity, swinging from here to there, not knowing where you belong to.
Like I did advise you before, take the DNA test. The DNA testing goes way beyond 5 generations. Don't give me all that bull statement. I'm well versed in the subject of genetics. The 'y' chromosome is passed down unadulterated and directly from father to his son(s), and then his g-son(s), and so on. Nature has made it so for the 'y' chromosome to be preserved thus. Get a male paternal blood relation on your line, esp your brother or father, to donate some blood sample, his 'y' chromosome is then tested and traced back to the tribe his first male ancestor came from. On your maternal side, since the mitochondrial dna is only gotten from the mother which she got from her own mother and so on, your mtdna is tested and traced back from you to your mother to your grandmother to your greatgrandmother..., to the very region your first maternal ancestor came from. These two separate tests are specific and only point to one or two tribes for each lineage testing, therefore ruling out the probability of having more than one paternal/maternal ancestry. In other words, if an akan man marries an ewe woman and they bear a son, paternally, he is akan. In 5 generations to come all future male sons are akan, paternally, since they all inherited the same akan 'y' chromosome even though their mothers may have come from all over the world. Now this 'y' exclusive pattern of inheritance is termed father-to-son sex-linked inheritance in genetics. The other remaining 44 chromosomes (23 from both parents - 46 total, out of which two are the sex chromosomes that determine the sex of the individual, either xx or xy) are called the autosomal chromosomes and this is where inter-tribal admixtures/mixings show up. It is the unique, and natural mixing of these 44 chromosomes that determine the physical characteristics of an offspring. This is what accounts for a man with yoruba father who looks instead a lot like his maternal igbo relations. Yet he is yoruba, paternally. Or a man with both ibibio parents who resembles his maternal efik grandmother (mother's dad ibibio, mother's mom efik). Or a boy child who looks every bit like his mother and very little like the father. Or the case of a black couple who has white children (due to having one/two white ancestors in both of the parents lineages yet both parents are BLACK). DNA testing on the 44 autosomes reveals how singular or mixed an individual is in ancestry - whether he's of european/spanish/native american/african combined ancestries or singular, and their respective percentages.
In a nutshell, your y chromosome points to one paternal ancestry, your mtdna to one maternal ancestry and your remaining 44 autosomal chromosomes to other possible mixtures/ancestries.
Having said all these, go and take the test, get to know your actual ancestry and have a true sense of belonging/obligation. Stop the unnecessary swinging.
Peace out.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 4:56am On Jan 22, 2013
you clearly don't have enough common sense to get a grasp of what I have posted.
You simply don't and it's a shame you'd actually assume I or anyone in the west are only "one thing" much less all igbo. grin

im making up we are a mix of different tribes now? grin

i am not asking you, but telling you at this point.

Akan men used to marry Igbo women in droves in Jamaica.
Add the Kongo ppls and other african tribes to the mix. All of them mixed with each other sir. And these tests ONLY go back 5 generations and even then there are inaccuracies as there is this thing called genetic "bias".

http://www.family-genealogy.com/GenealogyDNATesting.html

Scientists don't understand how inheritance traits are selected. Two offspring’s from a set of parents may have different sets of chromosome pairs, and therefore different ancestral proportions even though they were the product of the same male-female union. This means if your mother was 50% Native American, you are not necessarily 25%. You may receive 10% Native genes and your sibling may receive 40%. For this reason, DNA testing for heritage purposes may not give you the results you were expecting.

Your maternal copy of chromosome 1 could have been passed through your mother from your maternal grandmother OR your maternal grandfather, but which one you received was randomly determined at conception. The copy you receive from your mother is actually a chimeric chromosome that includes parts from your grandfather and your grandmother.

accuracy statement from AfricanAncestry.com grin

Our tests are not designed to tell you the ancestry of all of the many lineages that make up who you are. They are designed to determine the ancestry of a direct maternal lineage or a direct paternal lineage. If you want to find out the ancestry of other branches of your family tree, you must enlist other family members to take a test. You have hundreds of other ancestors that could have come from very different places in Africa (or elsewhere in the world). We provide you insight on one of them at a time.

On haitian history (this same tactic was used in all western colonies btw):

Mixing the different African tribes with each other, was a tactic used by the French as well as the other Europeans to keep African slaves from revolting or rebelling. For example, if all spoke the same language there would be a higher chance in communicating and revolting; as appose to those who spoke a different languages and possible conflicts already from being in different tribes, would create chaos which gave the European the advantages in control of the Africans.

PERIOD, POINT BLANK! African Americans likewise all blacks in the west are too mixed to just be from one tribe.

2 Likes

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Blyss: 5:33am On Jan 22, 2013
*Kails*:
you clearly don't have enough common sense to get a grasp of what I have posted.
You simply don't and it's a shame you'd actually assume I or anyone in the west are only "one thing" much less all igbo. grin

im making up we are a mix of different tribes now? grin

i am not asking you, but telling you at this point.

Akan men used to marry Igbo women in droves in Jamaica.
Add the Kongo ppls and other african tribes to the mix. All of them mixed with each other sir. And these tests ONLY go back 5 generations and even then there are inaccuracies as there is this thing called genetic "bias".

accuracy statement from AfricanAncestry.com grin

On haitian history:

PERIOD, POINT BLANK! African Americans likewise all blacks in the west are too mixed to just be from one tribe.

Whoa, whoa!! Don't be adding us into your foolish talk. Stick with talking about Jamaicans with that mess you're talking. cheesy
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 5:37am On Jan 22, 2013
interesting....

http://www.africanamerica.org/displayForumTopic/content/259402018324926621

I appreciate your direct response.

I will provide the African perspective on the matter in due course. But before I do that, let me ask you to look at the video again because the answer you seek is in there. Notice Dr Bruce Jackson, CONFIRMS tracing ones roots to a particular tribe or people in Africa is impossible. That is the proper and authoritative scientistic perspective. The problem is NO-ONE is listening to him. Because celebrities are doing it, everyone simply jumps on the bandwagon as if it is possible to trace one's roots to Africa. The truth of the matter is you can't. Any reports that says so is a lie.

And that lie is very much on display in the video. The Gentleman is told he comes from the Ashanti people. That is a BLATANT LIE. Ashanti is a FEDERATION of African people same as the USA is a federation of Caucasians. Therefore, just as someone cannot use DNA to prove one is an American citizen likewise someone cannot use DNA to prove they are Ashanti. Therefore for the report to come out and claim the recipient is an Ashanti shows clearly, it is a lie and the DNA report is not worth the paper it is written on.

You will find in DNA tests for white Americans, the report classifies them as Caucasian instead of British German, Irish etc. The report should read the same for black people in America. European in America are a MIXTURE of different European people. The same is true for black people in America. They are also a MIXTURE of African people. Therefore, instead os saying the person is Igbo, Yoruba, or whatever (which is misleading) the authentic DNA will read: black African.

As medical anthropologist Sandra Lee of Stanford University told me, "Proving parenthood is relatively simple. You get half of your DNA from each parent. That same equation makes it very difficult to prove deep lineage. You get only half of the DNA from each generation. After three generations, that's a half of a half of a half. You might not be carrying any identifiable DNA from any one specific ancestor."

these dna tests will only show that there is some of a specific tribe in us (most common within the 5 generations which would then be compared to a living african on the continent to show there was a common ancestor) but it is impossible to state all of the tribes that make up who we are because we are too mixed up. It'll NEVER HAPPEN.

the only way anyone on our side could be all of anything is if their ppl stayed in one spot all throughout the slave trade, through the centuries and only married each other...this NEVER happened lol. grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (17) (Reply)

Alaafin Of Oyo, Adeyemi At Gabriel Igbinedion 85th Birthday (Photos) / Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene / Interesting Facts About The Igbo People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.