Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,448 members, 7,770,098 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 03:08 AM

African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots (65522 Views)

Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba / The Love-Hate Relationship Between Africans, African Americans And Islanders / Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jan 19, 2013
Josh090:
If you can't understand what I meant, that's your own wahala.
Aint you suppose to be AA? Why are you behaving like willy willy?

Blyss:

Willy willy?.. What the hell is that?

Josh090:
Go to politics section and find out about him. You'll understand your similarities.

grin grin
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jan 19, 2013
Josh090: Blyss, dt article you quoted up there is complete NONSENSE!!
What you and the writer probably don't know is that, the word 'igbo' has a meaning in yoruba and it means bush/forest and can be aptly used to refer to ppl living in the forest.
To suggest that ijebu-igbo is actually referring to igbo tribe is as ridiculous as it is insulting.
The pronouciation of those two words differ completely and in case of the yoruba word 'igbo' its meaning is known, but the word 'igbo' in igbo language cannot be defined, so, please, there are no igbo people in southwest Nigeria.
P.s am not concerned about who got shipped off the most or not, just [size=28pt]don't mix things up.[/size]

EXACTLY!
There are people who are truly interested in where they came from. It's wicked of some folks to try to bring tribalism and bias into their answers and mislead them. I remember one Igbo guy had me looking like a new fool posting that the brazilian town "Ibotirama" was named after the Igbo and it turned out that it's not even true. It was named by the native brazilians. SMGDH!!!

#epicEMBARRASSMENT! Is what I felt after getting cyber-slayed left and right! grin grin

this is the igbo-centric website that claims what bigfrancis says to be true. grin
and that the town i mentioned is named after igbos. grin

http://www.planetnana.co.il/igbos/pages/upslv.html

In early period 1716-1744 3/4 of Africans imported into Charleston were Angolans. In 1804-1807 Angolans were again the majority. The Angolan slaves were very numerous as described in: Readings in pre colonial African ? Theophile Obenge, karnak house publication ? 1995 page 18, tells us of the endurance of the Angolan slaves who were able to with stand the tough working conditions that often killed the whites.

Angolans provided a large percentage of Africans in the Americas. Thus the maximum security prison facility in Louisiana is called Angola. It was once the site of a slave plantation that was made up of Angolan slaves.

All the tribes referred to were again, from other African countries, another attempt to conceal their Ibo identity. They were in fact, Ibos imported and their children born and raised in the Ibo slave colonies in those countries.

Interestingly enough, a large number of Angolans were documented, but not their tribal origin.

Others such as Ashanti and Yoruba were mentioned, even though they were of Ibo origin. The Ibos imported directly from the Birth of Biafra, the area with mass population of Ibos, were simply omitted or vaguely mentioned.

Documentation of the Ibos in Sierra-Leone is so great that they are numbered as the largest of freed slaves after the Yoruba's.* Note: the Yoruba's, who were sold into slavery, were specifically the Egba Yoruba's.

Egba is driven from Igba, Egbo, Eboe or Igbo. One of the largest Yoruba tribes is the Ijebu's. The Egbas are in actuality Ibos as the town Ijebu-Igbo is still written in its original form in the heart of Yoruba land.

--

The kingdom of Yoruba ? Robert Smith- 3rd edition Uni. of Wisconsin press, had it all documented.

The city Ebo still exists in Angola today. There are currently, two cities named Ibo and Ilha Ibo on the coast of Mozambique.

A new study, suggests that approximately 85-90% of the so called African or black Americas, and millions of others scattered across the Caribbean's and western Hemisphere are of Igbo/Ibo ancestry.

Jamaican history states that 60% of her population is of Ibo origin.
But we know that it goes a lot more than that.

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked grin

A good example of Ibo resistance movement was the famous Ibo and Angola resistance movement in Brazil that resulted in the establishment of independence Ibo republic of Palmers. A Republic that flourished for 45years before it was crushed by the white settlers. [size=18pt]This strong presence of Ibo's in Brazil accounts for the present day city known as Ibotirama, in Brazil[/size] - Time atlas of the world 10th comprehensive edition, page, and 115 k p 11.

#EPIClies. grin grin grin grin

according to them ALL OF AFRICAN DESCENDANTS IN THE WEST are Igbo! grin
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 2:46pm On Jan 19, 2013
^^^ its funny how some think really!
I've never being to the U.S but I don't think the AA's there care to know the difference btw Igbo or yoruba or wld need to take sides btw two african ethnic groups, so, why fight over who "owns" them?
Pure foolishness I'll say.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 2:48pm On Jan 19, 2013
Josh090: ^^^ its funny how some think really!
I've never being to the U.S but I don't think the AA's there care to know the difference btw Igbo or yoruba or wld need to take sides btw two african ethnic groups, so, why fight over who "owns" them?
Pure foolishness I'll say.

I agree. But the lengths people will go through to promote themselves as superior, numerous or most influential is astounding!
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 2:51pm On Jan 19, 2013
Imagine all that crap undecided
Everyone is igbo.....
Its just a few igbo ppl that believe such nonsense in real life tho.

2 Likes

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by MrsChima(f): 2:58pm On Jan 19, 2013
Sis!!!!!!

Love you even if you r not igbo. Muah!

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 2:59pm On Jan 19, 2013
Josh090: Imagine all that crap undecided
Everyone is igbo.....

LOL! grin grin

Mrs.Chima:
Sis!!!!!!

Love you even if you r not igbo. Muah!

awe~~

i wub you too!! kiss kiss kiss
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by ezeagu(m): 4:09pm On Jan 19, 2013
*Kails*:
according to them ALL OF AFRICAN DESCENDANTS IN THE WEST are Igbo! grin

I'm not agreeing with the info you quoted, but it's possible for 90% of Jamaicans to be of Igbo descent.

2 Likes

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 4:23pm On Jan 19, 2013
I doubt it. We are not 90 percent of anything.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by ezeagu(m): 5:15pm On Jan 19, 2013
Descent! You're confusing descent with amount of ancestry. For example, over 90% of African Americans are of British descent.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:19pm On Jan 19, 2013
ezeagu:

I'm not agreeing with the info you quoted, but it's possible for 90% of Jamaicans to be of Igbo descent.

Jamaicans are more probably Yoruba descendant heavily mixed with native Carib and Taino populations.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by ezeagu(m): 5:20pm On Jan 19, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

Jamaicans are more probably Yoruba descendant heavily mixed with native Carib and Taino populations.

Why?
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:22pm On Jan 19, 2013
ezeagu:

Why?

sorry i meant Igbo. and some Mandé.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Blyss: 5:23pm On Jan 19, 2013
*Kails*:
I doubt it. We are not 90 percent of anything.

LOL, you aren't even 90% Jamaican. cheesy cheesy You're just half trying to pass, sis. tongue
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by ezeagu(m): 5:23pm On Jan 19, 2013
I think the Taino and Caribs were wiped out completely before the British even arrived to Jamaica.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:25pm On Jan 19, 2013
ezeagu: I think the Taino and Caribs were wiped out completely before the British even arrived to Jamaica.

full-blooded Caribs still exist. they were not wiped out. Tainos became extinct due to extenisve intermarriage and disease.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by ezeagu(m): 5:28pm On Jan 19, 2013
In Jamaica, they are completely gone, the ones that exist moved to other islands and many are of African and European descent as well.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:43pm On Jan 19, 2013
ezeagu: In Jamaica, they are completely gone, the ones that exist moved to other islands and many are of African and European descent as well.

yes the ones who mixed with west africans formed the black Caribs, GArifuna people, etc. .
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jan 19, 2013
people who know nothing about my ppl are trying to say what we are lmao.
@pagan, tainos/caribs all died prior to europeans arriving in jamaica...are you kidding me? shocked

that's so not true. they mixed with the africans sir and gave birth to the first maroons who still have descendants on the island. they taught us how to grill and invented jerk chicken.

they taught my ancestors how to navigate around the island and even helped us fight and defeat the spanish and english...if they were all gone none of that would be true. smh.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 9:01pm On Jan 19, 2013
some Igbos are scammers grin grin I remember a story in costa rica, they told to everyone down there that they are Igbo, finally they found out that they were from an Ethnicity in Cameroon, Igbos are perpetually creating history, they are inventing stuffs and even rituals and we all know BA like those stuffs and most of the time are naive.you guys ain't cool stop deceiving those guys ,stop feeding them with your Igbo agenda/propaganda.
My2cents

2 Likes

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 9:04pm On Jan 19, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: Igbos are scammers grin grin I remember a story in costa rica, they told to everyone down there that they are Igbo, finally they found out that they were from an Ethnicity in Cameroon, Igbos are perpetually creating history, they are inventing stuffs and even rituals and we all know BA like those stuffs and most of the time naive.you guys ain't cool stop deceiving those guys ,stop feeding them with your Igbo agenda/propaganda.
My2cents

LOL exactly! grin

bright of biafra is also part of cameroon cool
so some of the ppl taken from that region were cameroonian.

not just igbo. i really wish some folks would stop this dumb distortion of history crap.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jan 19, 2013
@BLYSS, You're not even Nigerian much less igbo so you can't tell me nada.

Myself and flytefalls are the only TRUE Jamos on this site. I think if anyone should be informing anyone about JA it should be us. PERIOD.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 9:27pm On Jan 19, 2013
*Kails*:

LOL exactly! grin

bright of biafra is also part of cameroon cool
so some of the ppl taken from that region were cameroonian.

not just igbo. i really wish some folks would stop this dumb distortion of history crap.
Cameroon didn't exist back then ,I just forgot the Ethnicity. Anyway this is not the first time I come across some Igbo supremacists. And they are not the only one we have a same ethnicity which does that kind of stuff. I feel like It's a sort of investment , many BA will be ready/won't mind to fund/support(internationally) the Igbos in another attempt to quit Nigeria if they feel Igbo or descendants of Igbo.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 9:42pm On Jan 19, 2013
A.Chigozie:

This is a horrible lie that too many Africans have "convinced" themselves of, I understand why people would embrace such lies, it helps one justified the treachery committed by one's ancestors. I don't have any animosity towards the current generation of Africans, I only have animosity towards the people that participated in the raids and kidnappings of my ancestors. I curse those individuals who did such acts, for they through their wickedness and greed bought the wrath of God onto to their descendants. This is why the continent has suffered wars, famine, poverty, corruption, colonialism, etc. for centuries. Not until ALL current day Africans, STOP promoting such LIES that the people who were sold into enslavement were criminals or thought to be criminals will the curse be lifted.

The enslavers purchased children as young as five years old, how could those babies possibly be criminals? The enslavers bought men and women in their prime, they did not purchased the elderly of infants (unless the enslaved women were already pregnant), you mean to tell me the millions of Africans were all criminals? Please stop with the distortions of history, you only continue the curse.

actually some were others were war prisoners
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 10:59pm On Jan 19, 2013
*Kails*:

[size=48pt]YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING![/size]

WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU? Are you trying to tell me that the Yoruba and Ghanaian (Akan) ppls sent to the new world were Igbos?! shocked You must really think ppl are stupid! angry You're tripping BIG TIME!

Lmao! Is that hard for you to believe? Moreover, I didnt make that article up. I only posted the research a non-igbo scholar (ishaq) made! If that's too large to swallow, sister, i'd suggest you digest it bit by bit. Lmao

2 Likes

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 11:27pm On Jan 19, 2013
*Kails*:

@bold true!! which is why it's ridiculous for some folks on here to claim afro. brazilians are mostly yoruba when they are actually mostly descendants from kongo and Mozambique. Their music, dance, features and bloodline prove this to be true. Some only practice/d yoruba traditions to connect to africa.

@blue are you proud of this?! grin

@red...perhaps in nigeria, but ever? no.
as for the igbo majority don't get to happy over that. some sites tell different stories/results. BTW igbos are not the only people who occupy the bright of biafra region. other east nigerian and west cameroonian tribes are found there sir. not just igbos.

btw what kind of competition is this anyway? do you realize you guys are admitting to selling your own blood in high numbers?!
@bolded...OMG! You agreed with me on at least some points! Ha! @red...that fact cannot be ignored because you'll notice that MOST of the countries today that received massive igbo slaves were/are former british colonies and are english-speaking. Reality! That doesnt mean they werent shipped to non-english speaking countries. In brazil, the ibo slaves came third in size after the congo group, first, and yoruba second. In cuba, they arrived in huge numbers but did not come under the general unifying name, ibo, but under the names of their respective villages in igboland. Ibo villages such as isu, okwelle, etche, omumma, isiukwuato, isigwe, etc. Bight of biafra may have covered cameroon or elsewhere but mind you that the slave traders were well-versed in the several west african tribes and had specific preferences of which tribe they preferred, based on the slave people's general characteristics. In addition, history has it that only two slave ports were recorded under the bight of biafra region - bonny and calabar ports, and no cameroonian port was ever recorded for the region in history. Not even one. These two ports are located strategically in Nigeria today. This cancels out the probability of having little infiltrations of cameroonian slaves, if there were any of them anyway. The picture evidence also supports this claim. Look at the tribes listed in brackets by the sides of their places of embarkment and you'll discover that the author took his time to list out the specific tribes that were taken from each port and 'igbo and ibibio' slaves only were recorded for the bight of biafra! The evidence speaks loudly for itself.
@blue...i wont say i'm proud of the slave trade. Nobody is. I was only re-iterating what is recorded in the annals of history.

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 11:36pm On Jan 19, 2013
*Kails*:
@BLYSS, You're not even Nigerian much less igbo so you can't tell me nada.

Myself and flytefalls are the only TRUE Jamos on this site. I think if anyone should be informing anyone about JA it should be us. PERIOD.
Blyss is a brother in a far away land. He strongly feels his Ibo connection. Blood is definitely thicker than water.
Ehen, my brother, blyss, kedu? (How are you) Reply: odimma (i'm fine). For your creative work on this thread, you'll need to take up an Ibo name. Nnamdi, Obiora, Emeka...choose any and i'll tell you the meaning. All are beautiful names, I tell you. *winks*

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 11:40pm On Jan 19, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: some Igbos are scammers grin grin I remember a story in costa rica, they told to everyone down there that they are Igbo, finally they found out that they were from an Ethnicity in Cameroon, Igbos are perpetually creating history, they are inventing stuffs and even rituals and we all know BA like those stuffs and most of the time are naive.you guys ain't cool stop deceiving those guys ,stop feeding them with your Igbo agenda/propaganda.
My2cents
And who ever said igbo slaves were sent to costa rica? Did I ever mention that? Moreover, i'm yet to see where it was quoted that costa rica received igbo slaves.
Also, how sure are we that this your claim is true? Maybe its just a false claim made up to back up your bias.

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 11:45pm On Jan 19, 2013
Josh090: Imagine all that crap undecided
Everyone is igbo.....
Lmao. Who do we have here? I thought you absconded? Why is the truth biting you so hard like this? Awww...it must really suck to digest the truth right? At least come up with evidence to support your own opinion. E kwucha m!
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 12:05am On Jan 20, 2013
ezeagu: I think the Taino and Caribs were wiped out completely before the British even arrived to Jamaica.
Jamaica, as you know it today, was a thriving plantation trade arena that was manned by the british. However, they, the british, could not survive the very harsh environmental conditions of the area and resorted to the use of slaves from africa. Many died after contracting malaria, due to mosquito bites, and other diseases. Over time they discovered that the ibo slaves were best suited for the environment given the latter's industry, ruggedness, strength, good body formation and, most importantly, good knowledge of the subject of agriculture, amongst others. This fact is confirmed in Olaudah Equiano's slave account, the ibo ex-slave. After he arrived the shores of US from his ibo village in africa, immediately he was shipped off to Jamaica. On getting there, he described meeting his 'fellow countrymen' who were numerous in numbers, laboring away dutifully and surviving under the harsh environmental conditions - the same conditions the whites couldn't bear.
@kails If you refute the good igbo presence in Jamaica so much, why don't you take the DNA test and let us see if you won't have, at least, a lil percentage of ibo blood running in you in both your AA and JAMO lineages.

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 12:11am On Jan 20, 2013
bigfrancis21:
@bolded...OMG! You agreed with me on at least some points! Ha! @red...that fact cannot be ignored because you'll notice that MOST of the countries today that received massive igbo slaves were/are former british colonies and are english-speaking. Reality! That doesnt mean they werent shipped to non-english speaking countries. In brazil, the ibo slaves came third in size after the congo group, first, and yoruba second. In cuba, they arrived in huge numbers but did not come under the general unifying name, ibo, but under the names of their respective villages in igboland. Ibo villages such as isu, okwelle, etche, omumma, isiukwuato, isigwe, etc. Bight of biafra may have covered cameroon or elsewhere but mind you that the slave traders were well-versed in the several west african tribes and had specific preferences of which tribe they preferred, based on the slave people's general characteristics. In addition, history has it that there were only two slave ports recorded under the bight of biafra region - bonny and calabar ports, and no cameroonian port ever recorded in history. Not even one. These two ports are located strategically in Nigeria today. This cancels out the probability of having little infiltrations of cameroonian slaves, if there were any of them anyway. The picture evidence also supports this claim. Look at the tribes listed in brackets by the sides of their places of embarkment and you'll discover that the author took his time to list out the specific tribes that were taken from each port and 'igbo and ibibio' slaves only were recorded for the bight of biafra! The evidence speaks loudly for itself.
@blue...i wont say i'm proud of the slave trade. Nobody is. I was only re-iterating what is recorded in the annals of history.
. Igbo you no dey tire. I actually don't like what I'm doing it makes me look like if I care about their origin.
But I don't like when people twist history. Bight of biafra : here we go son learn your history
[url][/url]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccRHzbxn0Ko&feature=player_detailpage
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 12:14am On Jan 20, 2013
As you can see in this video several ports existed in actual Cameroon, wink. You guys and m actually talking about Nigerians in general should stop thinking Africa turns around you: others kingdom and empire other people in general with their misery,conquests,wars,etc .

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (17) (Reply)

Alaafin Of Oyo, Adeyemi At Gabriel Igbinedion 85th Birthday (Photos) / Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene / Interesting Facts About The Igbo People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.