Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,457 members, 7,770,133 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 05:14 AM

African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots (65527 Views)

Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba / The Love-Hate Relationship Between Africans, African Americans And Islanders / Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by NwaNri(f): 4:31pm On Jun 30, 2012
A.Chigozie u seem to still harbor bitterness towards Africans b/c of the slave trade IMO. Everything isn't what it seems. The transatlantic slave trade occurred for many diff reasons, and just like there were Africans who sold other Africans, there were also Africans who fought to stop this slave trade just like u have been told. U should be careful when calling the land of Africa cursed, lest u curse urself b/c u are an African as ur adopted name implies. I hope u can find peace with ur history and realize that the slavery does not diminish the greatness and beauty of ur ancestry.

2 Likes

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by NgolaIbo(m): 4:05pm On Jul 01, 2012
Thank you so much. It is truly a pleasure to be descended from such great people. I have invested several years in the study of Igbo cosmology/spirituality. I am also familiar with the war which took the lives of millions of my brothers and sisters. But just like their African American counter parts, we are strong and resilient. I hope to visit Nigeria in the near future..

1 Luv

3 Likes

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 5:47pm On Sep 11, 2012
NgolaIbo: I am of Ibo, Efik, Mbundu and Mandinka descent. I acknowledge all of my ancestry but I am strongly drawn to my Ibo roots. I love the Ibo people and culture. My ancestors were living in Virginia until they were transported to the Alabama, Mississippi area. I even had a roots reading by a practitioner of Ifa that confirmed that I was Ibo on my mother's side and Efik on my father's side. This is how I identify myself and not as an Aafrican American, I am Ibo, Efik, Mbundu and Mandinka who was taken to North America during the enslavement. We, the descendants of the Africans who were stolen from our mother/father land need to reconnect with our brothers and sisters from AlaIgbo and return to the cultures of our ancestors. Like I said, I love being Ibo, I love AlaIbo and I love my Ibo brothers and sisters. I plan on visting home (AlaIgbo) and take an Igbo name when I get there. Currently I go by the name of Chibueze...because Chukwu is King. Peace and blessings my people

1 luv
Chibueze
You look very much Igbo. Good to have you back. Nwanne m, nno (My brother, Welcome).

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by NgolaIbo(m): 6:13pm On Sep 11, 2012
Yes I do and I'm am told this by so many Igbos and Ghanians. Thanks and it's great to be back. It has been a long struggle for me trying to pin point my African roots, but thanks to ther Ndichie, I have found my people and my identity. African-Americans will find that they may have more than 1 African ethnicity, like myself. But, for me, it was the spirit of the ancestors that guided me to AlaIgbo, Ngola, and Mandinka land. The Igbo ancestry in me spoke the loudest and the strongest. Thanks Nairaland, and thanks to all my fellow NdiIgbo for accepting me back into the fold. May Chineke be praised. Love you AlaIgbo and NdiIgbo!!
Chibueze

2 Likes

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by MrsChima1(f): 6:38pm On Sep 11, 2012
Many Black Americans aren't of Igbo descent and they should focus on knowing the family history for their children sake.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Blyss: 9:53pm On Sep 12, 2012
Mrs..Chima:
Many Black Americans aren't of Igbo descent and they should focus on knowing the family history for their children sake.

What is up with you and and your negativity to this very well know fact of significant Igbo descent among the Black-American population? cheesy Is it some self indulging desire of yours to be in connection to your Yoruba spouse' ethnic affiliation? cheesy In the past on here and on other sites I and others have posted so much proof of the extensive Igbo/BA ethnic affiliation, that the information stretch for multiple pages at a time.

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Blyss: 9:57pm On Sep 12, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
[size=32pt]AA PEOPLES CANT CLAIM IGBO UNLESS THEY HAVE PROOF OF 100% IGBO ANCESTRY AND BLOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/size] angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

the 1st 2 pics in his thread are a disgrace. A person can be chief ONLY if he has 100% ancestry of that tribe. the AA's might not even have 5% Igbo ancestry. what then angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

LOL. What do you care, aren't you Hausa? It though you people hate the Igbo. cheesy

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by MrsChima1(f): 10:15pm On Sep 12, 2012
Blyss:

What is up with you and and your negativity to this very well know fact of significant Igbo descent among the Black-American population? cheesy Is it some self indulging desire of yours to be in connection to your Yoruba spouse' ethnic affiliation? cheesy In the past on here and on other sites I and others have posted so much proof of the extensive Igbo/BA ethnic affiliation, that the information stretch for multiple pages at a time.

Why are you catching feelings
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Blyss: 10:41pm On Sep 12, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

Why are you catching feelings

Nah, I should be asking you that question, since every time this topic comes up you get all bent out of shape about it, as if you're taking it in some odd personal negative kind of way.

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:54pm On Sep 12, 2012
Blyss:

LOL. What do you care, aren't you Hausa? It though you people hate the Igbo. cheesy
no we dont! angry

we only hate christians.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by kengis: 1:28am On Sep 13, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
[size=32pt]AA PEOPLES CANT CLAIM IGBO UNLESS THEY HAVE PROOF OF 100% IGBO ANCESTRY AND BLOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/size] angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

the 1st 2 pics in his thread are a disgrace. A person can be chief ONLY if he has 100% ancestry of that tribe. the AA's might not even have 5% Igbo ancestry. what then angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

Thanks ,bro !igbos should stop claiming AA ,it makes no sense at all ,bunch of beggars !
this cheap chief has no dignity,he acts like he 's less than nothing

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Blyss: 1:30am On Sep 13, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
no we dont! angry

we only hate christians.

Ok, and like over 90% of Igbo are christian, so you're not saving face with that statement. cheesy

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by MrsChima(f): 1:58am On Sep 13, 2012
Blyss:

Nah, I should be asking you that question, since every time this topic comes up you get all bent out of shape about it, as if you're taking it in some odd personal negative kind of way.

If responding to dumb arse posts/comments make one catching fdelings..i guess you just sonned yourself!!

Way to go dummy! My previous comment still remains and you cant do shit about it.
Muahhhh!
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Blyss: 2:56am On Sep 13, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

If responding to dumb arse posts/comments make one catching fdelings..i guess you just sonned yourself!!

Way to go dummy! My previous comment still remains and you cant do shit about it.
Muahhhh!

cheesy Why you mad, hone?

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by MrsChima1(f): 3:31am On Sep 13, 2012
Blyss:

cheesy Why you mad, hone?

Dummies first. wink
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Blyss: 9:30pm On Sep 13, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

Dummies first. wink

Damn, so why I gotta be all that..just because you mad, Hone?
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by MrsChima1(f): 9:59pm On Sep 13, 2012
Blyss:

Damn, so why I gotta be all that..just because you mad, Hone?

Because you are a dummy. wink

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Blyss: 1:10am On Sep 14, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

Because you are a dummy. wink

Heeeeey, that's not nice! I thought you and I were supposed to be cool. What happened to you, why are you mad, Hone?
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by MrsChima1(f): 1:22am On Sep 14, 2012
Blyss:

Heeeeey, that's not nice! I thought you and I were supposed to be cool. What happened to you, why are you mad, Hone?

As long as you maintain as a dummy....I will always be mad.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:56am On Sep 14, 2012
Blyss:

Ok, and like over 90% of Igbo are christian, so you're not saving face with that statement. cheesy

a full-blooded tribal can never be christian. inside he is still Pagan. he is just pretending to be christian. for that, it is my duty to stop him and educate him.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:57am On Sep 14, 2012
kengis:

Thanks ,bro !igbos should stop claiming AA ,it makes no sense at all ,bunch of beggars !
this cheap chief has no dignity,he acts like he 's less than nothing

yes i remember someone told me in another thread that if a foreigner lives with Igbos, acts like one, dresses like one, works for them, etc., he becomes Igbo. so i replied, what if a do did all of the above. would the dog also be entitled to become Igbo angry
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by OneNaira6: 10:31am On Sep 14, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

yes i remember someone told me in another thread that if a foreigner lives with Igbos, acts like one, dresses like one, works for them, etc., he becomes Igbo. so i replied, what if a do did all of the above. would the dog also be entitled to become Igbo angry

I gotta ask why do you care so much? The Igbo has no problem with AA claiming roots with them, infact we welcome it so why is it affecting you more so than the Igbos. The claiming has zero effect to you or your community so if they so wish to hold and upheld their Igbo heritage while the ethnicity that are claiming has no problem with it, then it should be respected. Leave it alone dude.

3 Likes

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:32am On Sep 14, 2012
One_Naira:

I gotta ask why do you care so much? The Igbo has no problem with AA claiming roots with them, infact we welcome it so why is it affecting you more so than the Igbos. The claiming has zero effect to you or your community so if they so wish to hold and upheld their Igbo heritage while the ethnicity that are claiming has no problem with it, then it should be respected. Leave it alone dude.

the matter of all tribes in the world concerns me. i am not selfish. todays Ibos also claim christianity. so is it right? ofcourse not.

i am working for the ancestors of the Igbos, not for you.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by OneNaira6: 10:56am On Sep 14, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

the matter of all tribes in the world concerns me. i am not selfish. todays Ibos also claim christianity. so is it right? ofcourse not.

i am working for the ancestors of the Igbos
, not for you.

If you are working for the ancestors then this shouldn't be a problem for you. Most Igbo ancestors wouldn't mind if their children that were kidnapped and sold came back thus you are actually fighting against them, not working for them. Since most of the AA's claiming Igbo heritage are doing so based on information from their own ancestors. Do you see the paradox: You claim to be working for the ancestors, their ancestors are "supposedly" Igbo thus you fighting against their claim is naturally fighting against the people you so claim to be working for.

Personally I understand why you are bent over it. You do not like anything biracial, multi-racial or not pure african thus this to you feels like a problem. Other factor is probably because it is about African-Americans and what I've seen on NL, I don't know why but Nigerians and other Africans seem to have a problem with Africans-Americans (at least on this forum). Though I understand why you are fighting (i.e: based on your own ideology), I say accept it in peace if the two parties in question have no problem with it.

2 Likes

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by MrsChima1(f): 12:23pm On Sep 14, 2012
One_Naira:

[size=22pt]I gotta ask why do you care so much?[/size] The Igbo has no problem with AA claiming roots with them, infact we welcome it so why is it affecting you more so than the Igbos. The claiming has zero effect to you or your community so if they so wish to hold and upheld their Igbo heritage while the ethnicity that are claiming has no problem with it, then it should be respected. Leave it alone dude.

That's a very good question. Maybe jealousy? Ignorant? Both? Although I don't think majority of Blacks in Diaspora has Igbo heritage...I still think that they can claim whomever they want and as you said...it doesn't affect anyone nor change the price of garri. wink

Is that all you have is that one naira? grin Let me loan you a kobo. tongue

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by MrsChima1(f): 12:27pm On Sep 14, 2012
One_Naira:

If you are working for the ancestors then this shouldn't be a problem for you. Most Igbo ancestors wouldn't mind if their children that were kidnapped and sold came back thus you are actually fighting against them, not working for them. Since most of the AA's claiming Igbo heritage are doing so based on information from their own ancestors. Do you see the paradox: You claim to be working for the ancestors, their ancestors are "supposedly" Igbo thus you fighting against their claim is naturally fighting against the people you so claim to be working for.

Personally I understand why you are bent over it. You do not like anything biracial, multi-racial or not pure african thus this to you feels like a problem. Other factor is probably because it is about African-Americans and what I've seen on NL, I don't know why but Nigerians and other Africans seem to have a problem with Africans-Americans (at least on this forum). Though I understand why you are fighting (i.e: based on your own ideology), I say accept it in peace if the two parties in question have no problem with it.

That's the thing...there is no such thing as pure "race" or "ethnicity". In fact...he is not pure anything so why is he fighting against the likes of himself? It is a strange paranoia and delusion.

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:53pm On Sep 14, 2012
One_Naira:

not i am tryin for the preservation of the tribes and the dignity of the ancestors. remember what happened to the poor Natives of both the americas. half of them are extinct, the other half are fighting extinction, due to assimilation. Even any Natives have started realising this. i have spoken to some of them. the tribes of europe also got extinct today due to assimilation. NO! i shall not let this repeat again be it my trie or anyone elses. there are many Igbo who support e in this and we shall fight.

the akatas are an unfortunate group. they were kidnapped and sold into slavery by other tribes. but these other tribes were not aware that they would be shipped abroad and face all that harshness. slavery in Africa wasa different sysem that existed domestically. rhere was no cultural and religious supression involved in this case. the ancestors of the akats should have died with dignity, rathar than have let themselves become slaves in the forein lands and forego their culture. identity and beliefs.

yes another reason why i dont like akatas is becasue they are a dirty lot and do all sorts of corrupt things. they have no culture.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:55pm On Sep 14, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

That's a very good question. Maybe jealousy? Ignorant? Both? Although I don't think majority of Blacks in Diaspora has Igbo heritage...I still think that they can claim whomever they want and as you said...it doesn't affect anyone nor change the price of garri. wink

Is that all you have is that one naira? grin Let me loan you a kobo. tongue

shut up you stinkin white woman. these affairs do not concern you. you are not tribal so just get lost. go back to your drugs and jail.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:56pm On Sep 14, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

That's the thing...there is no such thing as pure "race" or "ethnicity". In fact...he is not pure anything so why is he fighting against the likes of himself? It is a strange paranoia and delusion.

just because you are half-bred, dont expect everyone to be half-bred like you. We are full-blooded Tribals. I am Hausa-Maguzawa of the Greater Chadic-Sahelian peoples.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by MrsChima1(f): 3:23pm On Sep 14, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

just because you are half-bred, dont expect everyone to be half-bred like you. We are full-blooded Tribals. I am Hausa-Maguzawa of the Greater Chadic-Sahelian peoples.

You spoken like a true mixed breed that been rejected on both sides. grin grin grin grin

It hurts huh? tongue tongue tongue
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by MrsChima1(f): 3:25pm On Sep 14, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

shut up you stinkin akata. these affairs do not concern you. you are not tribal so just get lost. go back to your drugs and jail.

I just spoke on it now what? You are going to jump through the screen and do what? Cybercafe customer! tongue tongue tongue

Did your father grow up in jail for selling drugs? I see why you are angry at the White folks...they sent him there.

You grew up without your father and it pained you. Did they call you an Akata baby? Awwwwww. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by MrsChima1(f): 3:28pm On Sep 14, 2012
[size=44pt]That's the thing...there is no such thing as pure "race" or "ethnicity". In fact...he is not pure anything so why is he fighting against the likes of himself? It is a strange paranoia and delusion.[/size]

And Pagandummy is STILL BIATCHING. grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Alaafin Of Oyo, Adeyemi At Gabriel Igbinedion 85th Birthday (Photos) / Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene / Interesting Facts About The Igbo People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.