Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,801 members, 7,810,084 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:21 PM

African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots - Culture (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots (65846 Views)

Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba / The Love-Hate Relationship Between Africans, African Americans And Islanders / Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Blyss: 9:15am On Feb 18, 2013
pirate1:

this username is as somali as it can get.

It sounds reta.rded to me.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 2:38am On Feb 19, 2013
pirate1:

this username is as somali as it can get.

lolz
anyway i thought you left nairaland. tongue
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by pirate1: 12:06am On Feb 20, 2013
MsDarkSkin:

lolz
anyway i thought you left nairaland. tongue

nope. i still troll under diffrent names.i have been in the religion section for a minute raising hell.

your assss is mine msdarkskin. dont forget it baby.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 1:54am On Feb 20, 2013
pirate1:

nope. i still troll under diffrent names.i have been in the religion section for a minute raising hell.

your assss is mine msdarkskin. dont forget it baby.

OH LORD!
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 9:12pm On Apr 02, 2013
bigfrancis21: ..

HEY HEY!!

I owe you an apology sir. tongue
I asked my g.mom about the Red Ebo thing. she said it's true. She said she heard a few country folks say "red ebo" but it was always directed towards ALBINO Jamaicans tongue
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Blyss: 11:00pm On Apr 02, 2013
MsDarkSkin:

HEY HEY!!

I asked my g.mom about the Red Ebo thing. she said it's true. She said she heard a few country folks say "red ebo" but it was always directed towards ALBINO Jamaicans tongue

No, you owe that apology to me. I'm the the one who brought it up for discussion, and you called me a liar. angry
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 11:14pm On Apr 02, 2013
Blyss:

No, you owe that apology to me. I'm the the one who brought it up for discussion, and you called me a liar. angry

warreva lil naggah tongue grin

jk. my beezy!! smiley
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by pirate1: 2:09am On Apr 03, 2013
grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Blyss: 3:14am On Apr 03, 2013
MsDarkSkin:

warreva lil naggah tongue grin

jk. my beezy!! smiley

humm, that aint all you should be apologizing to me for. smiley
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 3:15am On Apr 03, 2013
Blyss:

humm, that aint all you should be apologizing to me for. smiley

lol what then sir? smiley
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 3:20am On Apr 03, 2013
tongue
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by pirate1: 5:53am On Apr 03, 2013
MsDarkSkin: tongue

are you offering?
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 9:32pm On Apr 03, 2013
MsDarkSkin:

HEY HEY!!

She finally acknowledges me! cheesy
*In Akeem's voice, Coming to America* Isn't that wonderful? grin
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 9:39pm On Apr 03, 2013
But come to think of it, does it now mean the 'red ibo' term is no longer common nowadays among jamaican folks since the many of the young generation have never heard of the term (madam MsKails for example grin), and its only the older folks (I guess) that are familiar with it?
Or is the term more of a country side thing rather than an urban thing in Jamaica?
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 9:49pm On Apr 03, 2013
bigfrancis21: But come to think of it, does it now mean the 'red ibo' term is no longer common nowadays among jamaican folks since the many of the young generation have never heard of the term (madam MsKails for example grin), and its only the older folks (I guess) that are familiar with it?
Or is the term more of a country side thing rather than an urban thing in Jamaica?

well it's definitely a combination of being a "country" thing and part of "old time patois".
the older generation along the country sides still have held on to a lot of our ancestors' ways, terminology and lifestyle. The younger generation, esp. those in the cities are lost really. undecided It wasn't until the late 70s that Rastas were accepted...so imagine a "country bush woman" today? It's sad but true.

But I will say that the younger generation in the country are more likely to carry on the tradition but even they still seem to want to emmulate the Kingstonians. tongue
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 9:49pm On Apr 03, 2013
bigfrancis21:
She finally acknowledges me! cheesy
*In Akeem's voice, Coming to America* Isn't that wonderful? grin

grin grin

yeah yeah!!
dont rub it in. abeg!! tongue
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Blyss: 3:19am On Apr 05, 2013
MsDarkSkin:

lol what then sir? smiley

Well there are a few other issues I've brought up in which you've claimed my stance as being false, though you'll come to see the truth in soon enough if you decide to look into them closer as you've done in this instance. cool
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 4:36pm On Apr 27, 2013
I STUMBLED ACROSS AN IMPORTANT LEGACY OF THE IGBO IN THE COUNTRY OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO DURING THE SLAVE TRADE. ACCORDING TO A CENSUS OF THE SEVERAL AFRICAN ETHNICITIES TAKEN IN 1813, THE IGBO WERE THE LARGEST GROUP OF SLAVES SENT TO TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO.

Below is a quote from Wikipedia;

The ultimate origin of most African ancestry in the Americas is in West and Central Africa. The most common ethnic groups of the enslaved Africans in Trinidad and Tobago were Igbo, Kongo and Malinke people. All of these groups, among others, were heavily affected by the Atlantic slave trade. The population census of 1813 shows that among African-born slaves the Igbo were the most numerous.[2]
The evidence goes on to indicate that the Igbo and Kongo people were the majority of slaves present in Trinidad and Tobago.

BELOW IS A SNAPSHOT IMAGE OF THE CENSUS AND THE LINK IS ALSO ATTACHED BELOW.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afro-Trinidadian_and_Tobagonian

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 4:40pm On Apr 27, 2013
Edward James Roye, the fifth president of Liberia was a descendant of the Igbo people.

Roye was born into a prosperous African American family in Newark, Ohio. Roye was a descendant of the Igbo people.[1][2] His father, John Roye, managed a ferry across the Wabash River at Terre Haute, Indiana and acquired considerable land in Terre Haute as well as Vandalia in the neighboring state of Illinois.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_James_Roye

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 4:43pm On Apr 27, 2013
LMFAO.

OMFG!!

dude let it go.
there are no pure igbos on our side of the world
except those who have recently migrated from Naija.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 4:46pm On Apr 27, 2013
*Kails*:
LMFAO.

OMFG!!

dude let it go.
there are no pure igbos on our side of the world
except those who have recently migrated from Naija.

I never said so. I'm only saying that there's a huge contribution of the Igbo DNA in the genetic make-up of the you Caribbean people across the Atlantic ocean. tongue

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 4:53pm On Apr 27, 2013
bigfrancis21:

I never said so. I'm only saying there a huge contribution of the Igbo DNA in the genetic make-up of the you Caribbean people across the Atlantic ocean. tongue

lol..geeeze!!
yes sir. grin

you are serious about giving igbos credit lmao.
bigfrancis plays no gamez!! grin
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 5:05pm On Apr 27, 2013
*Kails*:

lol..geeeze!!
yes sir. grin

you are serious about giving igbos credit lmao.

bigfrancis plays no gamez!! grin

grin grin
No ma'am. I'm only giving it to you just as it is. No addition, no subtraction. cheesy

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 6:09pm On Apr 27, 2013
bigfrancis21:

grin grin
No ma'am. I'm only giving it to you just as it is. No addition, no subtraction. cheesy

lol!! i hear that!! grin
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 6:50pm On Apr 27, 2013
By the way, Kails, have you been to this thread, https://www.nairaland.com/833742/igbo-nigerian-men-most-handsome-men ?
Please do. By the time you're done with the thread, you'd be drenched in sweat all over asking who turned off AC of the room. tongue tongue
grin grin grin
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by kwametut: 8:14am On Jun 26, 2013
@EzeUche
AM SOUTH AFRICAN OF GHANAIAN AND SOUTH AFRICAN DESCENT. Let me tell u I agree with the other blogger that you're TRIBALIST, that can be seen in all your posts. What funny for me is that you're a WOMAN

THE TRUETH MY SISTER IS AFRICAN AMERICANS ARE DIFFERENT TO OTHER NEW WORLD BLACKS ARE THEY DESCEND MAINLY FROM UPPER GUINEANS AND BANTU OF ANGOLA-CONGO. Yes Bight of Biafrans were imported to Virginia but they were mainly females and mated with other African groups like Akans,Mandes,Bantus to give birth to MODERN AFRO AMERICANS.

Here a GIFT from SOUTH AFRICA, this book is writen by a reknown African American prof. Holloway.
READ NIGERIAN AND CLEAR THE STREOTYPES.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

http://faculty.risd.edu/bcampbel/Templates/Templates/holloway.pdf
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by kwametut: 12:43pm On Jul 01, 2013
If u wanna see which AFRICAN ETHNICITIES were sent where pls visit this link. It shows everything from North, Central and South America, even West Indies.

Note:The some records are incomplete. Let me complete the puzzle for ya'll.
VIRGINIA
Was dominated by Biafrans at 38% and rivals were Senegambia 26.5% and Bantus 20%, then Gold Coast 16%.

SOUTH CAROLINA-GEORGIA
Dominated by Senegambia 43%
Angola-Congo 40%
Then Gold Coast 16%

LOUISIANA
Louisiana was majority SENEGAMBIAN 1719-1760 then replaced by Angola-Congo Bantus onwards 1760-1820.
Senegambia slaves in Louisiana were 30% overall and Bantus 35.6% in 1800s and around 40% in later stages. The process of removal of Mandes by Bantus in Louisiana and South carolina-Georgia is called CONGOLIZATION by Dr Kelvin Roberts in his book.
grin grin grin grin

http://anthrocivitas.net/forum/showthread.php...
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 6:35pm On Sep 08, 2013
The Igbo Values Of Success, Education And Hardwork: A Case Of The Robeson Family

It is quite known that the Igbo people are a success-oriented people who have a penchant for hardwork, success, education and achievement. They are known to be well-traveled, often traveling to distant places where they make good living for themselves. They are also known to be business-minded, financially savvy and determined, taking pride in what they do and often distinguishing themselves in what ever field endeavor they find themselves in.

The aim of this essay is to showcase the unique trait for success and achievement which the Igbo people value no matter where they find themselves in using the Robeson family of North Carolina/Philadelphia as a case study.

The Robeson Family are an Igbo-African American family from North Carolina. The man, Mr. William Drew Robeson was born into slavery and later escaped from slavery in 1860 at 15 years, together with his brother, Ezekiel Robeson. His father, Benjamin Robeson, was born into slavery on the Roberson plantation near Cross Road Township and Raleigh, Martin County, North Carolina. William Robeson was of Igbo descent, having descended, through his Igbo father, from Igbo slaves enslaved from the Bight of Biafra and shipped to the Americas(North, Central and South America).

Mrs Maria Louisa Bustill-Robeson was born in 1853 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, of Igbo African, Native American, and Anglo-American descent. She was a descendant of the Igbo people on her paternal side through her great-grand father, Cyrus Bustill, an Eboe slave who had bought his freedom since mid 1700s.

The Robeson and Bustill families lived during the peak of the slave trade era, which was characterized by difficult living conditions for blacks and racial discrimination against black people(people of color). Despite the circumstances which they found themselves in, these two distinguished Eboe families worked hard and achieved success. Mr. William distinguished himself from many blacks of his time by attending college (Lincoln University) and obtaining an undergraduate degree, and later another one in Theology. Maria(often called Louisa as a child) also attended university, Lincoln University. Her great-grand father, Bustill, after escaping from slavery moved to Philadelphia where he opened a bakery business. Active with other free black leaders, Mr. Bustill became one of the founders in Philadelphia of the Free African Society in 1787, "the first mutual aid organization of African Americans. Through the years, the Bustill Eboe family achieved success and merit by becoming teachers, artists, business people, and pioneers in many professions.

Louisa was was already teaching when she met Robeson. She married Robeson in 1878 after which they had 7 children together, two of which died in infancy.

Both the Robesons emphasized education and advancement for their children. Their first daughter, Gertrude Lascet Robeson (1880), died as an infant. It was an "upwardly mobile" family; all but one of their sons were highly successful as adults, with two having professional careers. William Drew (Bill) Robeson, Jr.(1881-1927) became a physician in Washington, DC. Their daughter Marian M. Robeson (1894-1977) married Dr. William Forsythe and moved to Philadelphia; her husband became a successful businessman. Benjamin C. Robeson (1892-1966), became a minister at 'Mother Zion" African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church in Harlem, which was the second independent African-American denomination in the nation. John Bunyan Reeve Robeson (1886-1930) aka Reed Robeson, after being sent from home by his father for his propensity for getting into altercations with whites, married and moved to Detroit, where he worked as a laborer and may have worked at a hotel, but he died young and in poverty.

The youngest surviving child, Paul LeRoy Robeson, better known as Paul Robeson (1898-1976), became an internationally known athlete, orator, singer and actor. He also became an activist for civil rights. Another child died at birth, but the name is not known.

Noteworthy about these two notable Eboe families is that they found themselves living in the peak of slavery and surrounded by racism and difficult living circumstances for black people and despite the odds they distinguished themselves in their respective fields of endeavor. A symbolic feat for many blacks of that time.

Reading through the write up, one would notice the Igbo values of hard work, success, business mind, achievement, education, determination, and perseverance playing out in the lives of the families and their descendants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Drew_Robeson_I
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Louisa_Bustill#cite_note-boyle-5

Drop your comments here:
https://www.nairaland.com/1430511/igbo-values-success-education-hardwork
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Dibiachukwu: 11:28am On Sep 26, 2013
Most African Americans are hebrews sold by Africans and Arabs to White people in America. Most Igbos are hebrews. Therefore most "African slaves" to the Americas are Igbos. These Africans won't stop claiming that the people they sold are their own people. What kind of lie is that. Igbos migrated from the senegambian region during the fulani/arab islamic conquest, initiated by Spanish/Portuguese people. Igbos don't have any verifiable established kingdom in Africa. They have the smallest land mass and have a history of migration through the Niger river.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by kwametut: 11:37am On Sep 26, 2013
^^^^^^^BIG LIES BY TRIBALIST CU-NTS. cheesy grin grin grin grin

Igbos are everything then grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by kwametut: 11:41am On Sep 26, 2013
@Dibiachukwu
[b]PLEASE TELL US OTHER AFRICANS WEREN'T MIGRATING OVERTIME.

THE JEW AND SENEGAMBIAN, PORTUGESE PARTS ARE JUST PURE DESPARATION AND LIE.

WHAT DO U GUYS EAT TO COME UP WITH ALL THIS NONSENCE. :[/b]D grin grin cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Dibiachukwu: 4:05pm On Sep 26, 2013
kwame tut: @Dibiachukwu
[b]PLEASE TELL US OTHER AFRICANS WEREN'T MIGRATING OVERTIME.

THE JEW AND SENEGAMBIAN, PORTUGESE PARTS ARE JUST PURE DESPARATION AND LIE.

WHAT DO U GUYS EAT TO COME UP WITH ALL THIS NONSENCE. :[/b]D grin grin cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool
Not that I expect you to tell the truth, but for once why don't you people stop lying. What is ur tribal nation and I will tell ur role in this crap. I can prove linguistically (to some extent, research is still ongoing), that Igbos are hebrews.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Oluwo Of Iwo And Chanel Chin Throw Jabs At Each Other / Interesting Facts About The Igbo People / Kayanmata: What I Observed At Abuja International Tradefair

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.