Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,463 members, 7,816,086 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:38 AM

African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots - Culture (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots (65903 Views)

Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba / The Love-Hate Relationship Between Africans, African Americans And Islanders / Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:03am On Feb 09, 2013
bigfrancis21:
I JUST MADE A BIG DISCOVERY ON THE IGBO PRESENCE IN AMERICA!!!
I was doing some research on the topic and came across three african americans who still bear 'Igbo' as surname. Not just 'ebo' but full blown 'Igbo'. I caught up with them on FB. Coincidentally, two are from the same Virginia and one from Vermont. And one of them did not only bear 'Igbo' as surname but she also gave herself 'Chioma' as first name! Her picture is shown below with her two sons.
Check the Igbo AAs here:
1) Mitch Igbo
https://m.facebook.com/Y0uNgObAmA24?id=1452120086&_rdr
2) Maija Igbo
https://m.facebook.com/maija.igbo?fref=fr_tab&refid=17
3) Chioma Igbo
https://m.facebook.com/Hadassah12?fref=fr_tab&refid=17

this bullsh!t . t doesnt prove anything. they are still mixed.

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 12:34pm On Feb 09, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

At least they still hold on to their Igbo ancestry out of other possible ancestries they may have.

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:57pm On Feb 09, 2013
bigfrancis21:
At least they still hold on to their Igbo ancestry out of other possible ancestries they may have.

it doesnt matter. they are wasting their time. .
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 4:34pm On Feb 09, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

you get time oo!
he's trying i guess. grin
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 4:36pm On Feb 09, 2013
lmao@ chima...you think i take these guys serious?
lol really though? all of my points were made victoriously.
the same person who claim i didn't have points admitted to cosigning
and liking my comments. so who is the black fool? not i! cheesy
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by ezeagu(m): 6:14pm On Feb 09, 2013
bigfrancis21: Stumbled on another thread on NL of an AA who was able to trace her ancestry to the Igbo. She and her family were able to re-discover the original Igbo name of her male ancestor, named 'Chigozie'. Interestingly, her whole family reverted their surname back to Chigozie and hold on tightly to it.
www.nairaland.com/646298/african-american-wants-know-why

Yeah, the lady was frequent here in the past. How are you sure those facebook profiles are from Nigerian Igbo people and are African Americans?
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 8:49pm On Feb 09, 2013
ezeagu:

Yeah, the lady was frequent here in the past. How are you sure those facebook profiles are from Nigerian Igbo people and are African Americans?
As for the facebook names, it really strikes me as odd how any AA would bear the surname 'igbo' if they weren't igbo/hadn't igbo ancestry. Remarkably, two of them are from Virginia, the same state recorded to have the highest concentration of Igbo slaves in america and the third from Vermont. I was really impressed that, if actually they are AAs, they chose to use the proper spelling 'Igbo' rather than the anglicized spelling 'ibo'. And in full solidarity of her roots one of them bears all Igbo names. 'Chioma Igbo'.
You once mentioned earlier some AAs bearing 'ibo' as surname, especially in Virginia, so my discovery was more than co-incidental.

2 Likes

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 8:59pm On Feb 09, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

it doesnt matter. they are wasting their time. .
Not really. You won't understand the feelings of being lost that run through the minds of some AAs. To them reconnecting back to their ancestral roots serve to give them an identity. Many already have begun to pay homage to their ancestral Igbo homeland. In 2004, Wesley Snipes came all the way down to Anambra state and left with a chieftaincy title in return. In 2009, Forest Whitaker also made his own trip down to Nkwerre, Imo state. These two trips managed to make it to the media. Many of such visits go unnoticed.

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 9:02pm On Feb 09, 2013
MsDarkSkin: lmao@ chima...you think i take these guys serious?
lol really though? all of my points were made victoriously.
the same person who claim i didn't have points admitted to cosigning
and liking my comments. so who is the black fool? not i! cheesy
Lol @ the bolded? Really? You wish.
Your points were hogwash and didn't hold water. They all came crumbling down like a pack of cards in the light of massive evidence when the evidence proved effacing. grin
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 9:24pm On Feb 09, 2013
As for those of you who still chose to remain recalcitrant in your beliefs despite the amount of evidence, this thread isn't meant for you neither was it created to force down beliefs down your throats. The fact is whether you chose to believe it or not these pieces of evidence are real and exist! As we speak some AA is probably thinking or speaking of his/her Igbo roots. You might never know how useful the whole discourse and massive evidence could be to some AA/afro caribbean who's traversing the internet, digging up on their ancestry (Igbo maybe) and trying to reconnect to their roots. This thread will definitely serve as a source of confirmation and reconnection to those AAs that believe deep down in their Igbo roots but need a confirmation for it.

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 9:27pm On Feb 09, 2013
ANOTHER INTERESTING DISCOVERY.
Another Jamaican Igbo.

Oku Onuora
(Oku Nagba Ozala Onuora)
Born Orlando Wong
March 1952
Kingston, Jamaica
Occupation Writer
Nationality Jamaican
Genres Poetry, drama
Oku Nagba Ozala Onuora (born Orlando Wong,
March 1952), known as the "father of Jamaican
dub poetry" is a Jamaican dub poet and performer.
Biography
Orlando Wong was born in Kingston, Jamaica, in
1952.[1] He grew up in the slums of Eastern
Kingston's Franklin Town and received an informal
education from a Rasta named Negus.[1] His
rebellious nature initially led him to engage in
demonstrations against police violence and
painting slogans on walls.[2] When a project to
provide a ghetto school and community centre to
benefit the area's youths hit financial difficulties,
Wong began engaging in guerrilla activities, based
in the hills around Kingston, these including
armed robberies.[1]
Onuora married Adugo (née Phyllis Ranglin) in
1978, in preparation for which he had a name
change, the name being chosen by his bride-to-be
(who did not want to be identified as Mrs. Wong)
with the help of an Afrikan Professor Umona. Their
names were chosen from the Igbo language from
the southeastern region of Nigeria. "Oku" means
Fire / Light which burns oppression, while
"Onuora" means voice of the people. His full name,
Oku Nagba Ozala Onuora, translates as everlasting
fire or light which burns oppression.[6] Together
with Adugo, Onuora founded the "Prugresiv Aartis
Muvmant".[1]
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oku_Onuora
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:37pm On Feb 09, 2013
bigfrancis21:
Not really. You won't understand the feelings of being lost that run through the minds of some AAs. To them reconnecting back to their ancestral roots serve to give them an identity. Many already have begun to pay homage to their ancestral Igbo homeland. In 2004, Wesley Snipes came all the way down to Anambra state and left with a chieftaincy title in return. In 2009, Forest Whitaker also made his own trip down to Nkwerre, Imo state. These two trips managed to make it to the media. Many of such visits go unnoticed.

im sorry to say this but these days Igbos give chieftancy titles to any cat or dog that passes their way. It s not like the olden days, when deeds and not birth earned them . . tongue
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 10:25pm On Feb 09, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

im sorry to say this but these days Igbos give chieftancy titles to any cat or dog that passes their way. It s not like the olden days, when deeds and not birth earned them . . tongue
On the contrary, the titles are given to an outsider as a sign of solidarity or recognition of one's worthy efforts.
A note worthy case of the Igbo chieftaincy title conferrment based on deeds is the case of Dr. Douglas Chambers, the white US professor, who after years of his research on the Igbo presence and landmarks in the US published his book (which is very popular among AAs) in which he presented his discoveries and facts and concluded by saying, 'at least 60% of african americans have at least one Igbo ancestor.
Out of his great love of the Igbo people and culture, he decided to pay homage to Igboland and he did, during which he visited Nri in Anambra. In recognition of his noteworthy efforts the Nri people conferred on him a chieftaincy title, 'ife ukwu na nri' meaning 'the great light of Nri'.
Below is a picture of him teaching in a lecture in America wearing his full Igbo regalia. There couldn't be any better Igbo solidarity than that. wink wink

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:34pm On Feb 09, 2013
bigfrancis21:
On the contrary, the titles are given to an outsider as a sign of solidarity or recognition of one's worthy efforts.
A note worthy case of the Igbo chieftaincy title conferrment based on deeds is the case of Dr. Douglas Chambers, the white US professor, who after years of his research on the Igbo presence and landmarks in the US published his book (which is very popular among AAs) in which he presented his discoveries and facts and concluded by saying, 'at least 60% of african americans have at least one Igbo ancestor.
Out of his great love of the Igbo people and culture, he decided to pay homage to Igboland and he did, during which he visited Nri in Anambra. In recognition of his noteworthy efforts the Nri people conferred on him a chieftaincy title, 'ifi ukwu na nri' meaning 'the great light of Nri'.
Below is a picture of him teaching in a lecture in America wearing his Igbo regalia. There couldn't be any better Igbo solidarity than that. wink wink

wow what great deed! angry

these whites just want to assimilate our tribes and destroy our bloodlines like they did to the natives. see this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9r5rOmJ6uk
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by ezeagu(m): 10:34pm On Feb 09, 2013
bigfrancis21:
As for the facebook names, it really strikes me as odd how any AA would bear the surname 'igbo' if they weren't igbo/hadn't igbo ancestry. Remarkably, two of them are from Virginia, the same state recorded to have the highest concentration of Igbo slaves in america and the third from Vermont. I was really impressed that, if actually they are AAs, they chose to use the proper spelling 'Igbo' rather than the anglicized spelling 'ibo'. And in full solidarity of her roots one of them bears all Igbo names. 'Chioma Igbo'.
You once mentioned earlier some AAs bearing 'ibo' as surname, especially in Virginia, so my discovery was more than co-incidental.

But it's possible that they're not African American and are actually from recently arrived Nigerians. But the other Jamaican person you posted is interesting. I know of some people using African names, but it's rarely Igbo (or i think it is).

PAGAN 9JA:

That's a romantic view of the past. People bought titles in the 'olden days' as well.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 10:37pm On Feb 09, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

wow what great deed! angry

these whites just want to assimilate our tribes and destroy our bloodlines like they did to the natives. see this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9r5rOmJ6uk
Your insinuation is only a propaganda. You need to learn to get your facts and reasoning straight.

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 10:45pm On Feb 09, 2013
ezeagu:

But it's possible that they're not African American and are actually from recently arrived Nigerians. But the other Jamaican person you posted is interesting.
True that may seem but taking a closer look at their pictures will reveal to you that these people are no recently-arrived Igbo Nigerians. They strike me as african americans with Igbo ancestry. Did you bother to take a look at their facebook profiles?
Below are the pictures of Josh, Maija and Mitch Igbo. Inasmuch as they may look Igbo somehow (presence of facial features confirming their Igbo blood), their skin tone quickly points to people with a long-time presence in the land of America.

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:52pm On Feb 09, 2013
^^^^^^

LMAOOOOO!!!!!!!!!they lok like ghosts! grin grin
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 11:03pm On Feb 09, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
^^^^^^

LMAOOOOO!!!!!!!!!they lok like ghosts! grin grin
At this juncture I'll have to repost your earlier quote. Nothing else can describe the terrifying blankness of your brain right now more than this!
PAGAN 9JA:

I dont have any points left! angry
Yea!!! Tell that to yourself!
LMAOOOOO!!!!!!! grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:54pm On Feb 09, 2013
^you are misquoting me and that is a crime. angry
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 12:50am On Feb 10, 2013
bigfrancis21:
True that may seem but taking a closer look at their pictures will reveal to you that these people are no recently-arrived Igbo Nigerians. They strike me as african americans with Igbo ancestry. Did you bother to take a look at their facebook profiles?
Below are the pictures of Josh, Maija and Mitch Igbo. Inasmuch as they may look Igbo somehow (presence of facial features confirming their Igbo blood), their skin tone quickly points to people with a long-time presence in the land of America.
inferiority complex at his peak, smh you really disappoint me. What's the African look since they don't look Nigerian/ African.
Lemme ask you a question. Does Chris Brown look like An African ,what about Beyonce or jays .
My friend please stop it's embarrassing
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 4:25am On Feb 10, 2013
grin
CAMEROONPRIDE: inferiority complex at his peak, smh you really disappoint me. What's the African look since they don't look Nigerian/ African.
Lemme ask you a question. Does Chris Brown look like An African ,what about Beyonce or jays .

What do they look like then? Whites? grin grin grin grin

Hey bantu, I've got just one simple test for you. I'm so sure you'll fail it.
Look at these pictures and tell me the roots of these guys by their looks. AA? Igbo? Jamaican? Cameroonian??(Like seriously?? grin grin)

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 4:39am On Feb 10, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

I dont have any points left! angry
grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 5:27am On Feb 10, 2013
bigfrancis21: grin

What do they look like then? Whites? grin grin grin grin

Hey bantu, I've got just one simple test for you. I'm so sure you'll fail it.
Look at these pictures and tell me the roots of these guys by their looks. AA? Igbo? Jamaican? Cameroonian??(Like seriously?? grin grin)
you didn't understand my point, the pic you posted(fbk profile) they all look like An average Cameroonian/African therefore can be simple second generation Nigerian.
Furthermore you don't answer a question by a question answer mine and I will answer yours.
To conclude I hope you didn't think I will b offended by the word Bantu smh. It's obvious that you ain't Nigerian, I know what you Igbo are doing we are aware of that. To prove my point google Blair underwood Cameroonian ancestry/Cameroon visit the same Underwood you posted as Igbo It's pathetic. Whats wrong with you
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 5:29am On Feb 10, 2013
Dumb azz aren't you the one who said that bolded I weep for your inferiority complex
bigfrancis21:
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Blyss: 5:31am On Feb 10, 2013
Danny Glover and Forest Whitaker are of Igbo descent. smiley

[img]http://3.bp..com/_KOq6AlodkJI/Sd4FawjLeTI/AAAAAAAAB9o/S4YP5CDVZok/s400/chiefs.jpg[/img]

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 5:34am On Feb 10, 2013
Now explain to me how you can tell if someone is an African grin grin, smh
What's the African look , m waiting dumbo.
Igbo will never cease to amaze me . Shameless people . One day it will backfire keep making your culture looks like a prostitute.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 5:43am On Feb 10, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: you didn't understand my point, the pic you posted(fbk profile) they all look like An average Cameroonian/African therefore can be simple second generation Nigerian.
Furthermore you don't answer a question by a question answer mine and I will answer yours.
To conclude I hope you didn't think I will b offended by the word Bantu smh. It's obvious that you ain't Nigerian, I know what you Igbo are doing we are aware of that. To prove my point google Blair underwood Cameroonian ancestry/Cameroon visit the same Underwood you posted as Igbo It's pathetic. Whats wrong with you

Remember him? If u've seen the series 'Dirty sexy
money' then u'd know him. He starred as Simon
Elder, the percieved nemesis of New york's richest
elite family- the Darlings. Suprise to discover that
his roots have been traced to Igboland, Nigeria.
First, it was Forest Whitaker, then Wesley Snipes
now it's Underwood. Who knows? Calvin Broadus
(Snoop Dogg) mite be next
Blair Underwood
Actor
AA: How has the knowledge of your African ancestry
(that we provided) has impacted you?
Mr. Underwood: It given me a sense of community
and satisfied a lifelong curiosity. A welcome surprise
that my people are from Nigeria & Ibo people.
AA: Why do you believe this knowledge of ancestry
is important?
Mr. Underwood: The knowledge has given me a
better understanding of the person I've become. I
believe our DNA plays a large part. It explains
certain characteristics, traits, be it personal, medical
or culturally.
AA: What have you done with your African Ancestry
results?
Mr: Underwood: Distributed among every
Underwood I know and family members at a recent
Family Reunion.
Source: http://africanancestry.com/testimonials/
index/html
grin grin.
Aha! From your reasoning on this post now I can place your real age. Its so clear you're a small child. grin grin. With your primary 6 reasoning. I wonder what you're doing on NL. Smh
My own Blair Underwood, the self-confessed Igbo man? Don't even go there. Hahaha
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 5:45am On Feb 10, 2013
bigfrancis21:
the like of 50cent, jordan, Oman shumpert, Jaworski leonard , Stephenson, by what you said(bolded) have not been in America for a long time right.
Stupid azz don't run away are you aware that there are Cameroonian Nigerian Ghanaian lighter than that?
And yet they have never been in America, are you aware that there are Black American that are darker than me and yet they have never been in Africa.
Bring me a smarter Igbo please you are a tool.
Hide your face in shame donkey
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 5:49am On Feb 10, 2013
bigfrancis21:

grin grin.
Aha! From your reasoning on this post now I can place your real age. Its so clear you're a small child. grin grin. With your primary 6 reasoning. I wonder what you're doing on NL. Smh
My own Blair Underwood, the self-confessed Igbo man? Don't even go there. Hahaha
you are tool shameless pig stop selling your culture that's if you are even Igbo you disgust me.

http://thegrio.com/2012/02/24/blair-underwood-talks-tracing-his-african-roots-and-new-broadway-play/
http://www.clutchmagonline.com/2012/02/watch-blair-underwood-traces-his-roots/

http://bantudaily.com/archives/6011
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 5:50am On Feb 10, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: inferiority complex at his peak, smh you really disappoint me. What's the African look since they don't look Nigerian/ African.
CAMEROONPRIDE: Now explain to me how you can tell if someone is an African grin grin, smh
What's the African look , m waiting dumbo.
Igbo will never cease to amaze me . Shameless people . One day it will backfire keep making your culture looks like a prostitute.
See the bolded? Clearly indicative reasoning of a confused primary 6 bantu boy. One minute ago you were an expert on african looks and the next minute you go pitifully blank. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 5:54am On Feb 10, 2013
bigfrancis21:
See the bolded? Clearly indicative reasoning of a confused primary 6 bantu boy. One minute ago you were an expert on african looks and the next minute you go pitifully blank. grin grin grin
you are very stupid for even quoting can you understand simple logic, the people you posted as Ba I see them everyday in Yaounde. I see the same people in Nyc therefore you previous comment is dumb

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (17) (Reply)

Oluwo Of Iwo And Chanel Chin Throw Jabs At Each Other / Interesting Facts About The Igbo People / Kayanmata: What I Observed At Abuja International Tradefair

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.