Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,453 members, 7,770,125 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 04:41 AM

African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots - Culture (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots (65525 Views)

Why Some S-southerners Denounce Their Igbo Heritage - Obi Of Asaba / The Love-Hate Relationship Between Africans, African Americans And Islanders / Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by panafrican(m): 10:44pm On Sep 28, 2013
African-Americans are not looking for their roots they are rather looking for business opportunities, that is it.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by kwametut: 11:04am On Sep 30, 2013
@PanAfrican
AA'S MUST BE CAREFUL THEY MIGHT BE SCAMMED BY THOSE WHO SOLD THEM TO THE WHITEMAN. wink cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin

Im african livin in africa know Africans can be ugly sometimes.

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Jayvarley(m): 9:19pm On Sep 30, 2013
kwame tut: @PanAfrican
AA'S MUST BE CAREFUL THEY MIGHT BE SCAMMED BY THOSE WHO SOLD THEM TO THE WHITEMAN. wink cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin

Im african livin in africa know Africans can be ugly sometimes.

Scammed after being sold! LMFAO shocked grin
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nyumba(m): 11:13pm On Sep 30, 2013
They can simply leave and fly to a random African nation (a developing nation) as this woman did:

/watch?v=sbSCLxyPQcs
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by pruitt: 1:45am On Aug 26, 2014
Hello all
I too am an African American who has recently learned of my Ukwuani heritage by way of a cousin from Utagba-Uno I was matched to via dna test. My family has always known that a recent ancestor was from Naija and was taken in the late 1820's to early 1830s. We just didn't know what ethnic group he was from. I am delighted to be associated with the Igbo people and would love to be enlightened as to the culture of the Igbo speaking people.

5 Likes

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 8:46am On Aug 26, 2014
pruitt: Hello all
I too am an African American who has recently learned of my Ukwuani heritage by way of a cousin from Alagba-Uno.

Perhaps u meant Utagba-Uno?
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by pruitt: 3:17am On Aug 27, 2014
Aj

You are correct. I keep having brain f@#ts when it comes remembering this new ( For me) information. I will try to be more accurate in the future.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 5:11am On Aug 27, 2014
It seems Virginia has a significant number of AA's who are descendant from Igbo's. And also it seems light skined AA's may not be the result of the over-exaggerated "plantation rape" but Igbo's themselves. Along with many other lighter toned African ethnics like the Fulani's. Remember AA's are a mix of a diverse group of African ethnics.

4 Likes

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 12:10am On Aug 28, 2014
pruitt: Hello all
I too am an African American who has recently learned of my Ukwuani heritage by way of a cousin from Alagba-Uno I was matched to via dna test. My family has always known that a recent ancestor was from Naija and was taken in the late 1820's to early 1830s. We just didn't know what ethnic group he was from. I am delighted to be associated with the Igbo people and would love to be enlightened as to the culture of the Igbo speaking people.

Welcome to your ancestry, my brother. First off, I never knew the slave trade penetrated Igboland deep north to as far as the Delta Igbo area.

You have reclaimed your ancestry, your identity. A man without self-identity is lost. There's no greater joy and pride than knowing where one comes from. Welcome home.

Next, in order to complete your journer back home to Africa you would need to schedule a visit to Ukwuani to meet your extended relatives, and get to know your distant relatives. This will be a great emotional reunion for you reconnecting back to your original lineage.

The Igbo culture is one dynamic culture. There's a lot that can be said about the Igbo culture and I will gladingly provide you more information if you need it.

Take care.

4 Likes

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by pruitt: 4:26am On Sep 14, 2014
Ajie, Thank you Bigfrancis21 for your warm welcome. When I took the series of DNA test it was in the hope of being reconnected to the people my ancestor was descended from. I knew they were from Naija but that for me wasn't enough. I needed to know specifically from where and what ethnic group. You are right, knowing that I descend from Ukwuani and close enough to actually connect to my lost family is unbelievable! I am 59 years old, yet I shed tears. I have been voraciously studying all things Igbo trying to reconnect emotionally and spiritually to the now found lost part of my heritage. In the future I'm sure that I will have questions for you. Until then, I once again thank you for your words of encouragement and your advice.

2 Likes

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 4:52am On Sep 14, 2014
pruitt: Ajie, Thank you Bigfrancis21 for your warm welcome. When I took the series of DNA test it was in the hope of being reconnected to the people my ancestor was descended from. I knew they were from Naija but that for me wasn't enough. I needed to know specifically from where and what ethnic group. You are right, knowing that I descend from Ukwuani and close enough to actually connect to my lost family is unbelievable! I am 59 years old, yet I shed tears. I have been voraciously studying all things Igbo trying to reconnect emotionally and spiritually to the now found lost part of my heritage. In the future I'm sure that I will have questions for you. Until then, I once again thank you for your words of encouragement and your advice.

You're welcome sir. Nno(welcome in Igbo language smiley). Feel free to ask questions about the Igbo culture and language. We will gladingly answer your questions.

The Igbo left legacies in the US, from the popular 'red eboe' phrase used to originally refer to light-skinned Igbos among African ethnicities in the slavery era, to Ebo's landing, a place in Georgia dedicated to a group of Igbo slaves who preferred to drown in the sea than live through the inhuman treatment of slavery.

There's a great pride in being Igbo - a people known for their immense hardwork, intelligence, smartness, doggedness, ambition, business acumen and what have you. Be proud to rediscover your identity among this great people of Nigeria.

Umu Igbo conventions and gatherings for Igbo descendants living in the US are held annually in the US, during which hundreds of Igbo descendants all over US gather to celebrate the Igbo culture and tradition. Video clips from past events can be viewed here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TV17gm4C14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaHLJC5-CFo

I enjoin you to attend one of the events, as you will have the opportunity to be in the midst of your own people, and share in your ancestral heritage. You are gladly welcome.

4 Likes

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Bshabazz(m): 3:30am On Oct 09, 2014
I am one of the Black Americans who has done the DNA test to trace my African Ancestry. One line of my family goes back to the Igbo of modern day Nigeria. I have traveled to Ghana over 6 times and lived there for two years 2011 to 2013! I have plans on returning to the continent for good in the next few years. To be honest had I known about my DNA connections to Cameroon and Nigeria I would have traveled to Nigeria first! I still plan to visit Nigeria. It would be good to set foot on the grounds where some of my ancestors came from. The reason I traveled to Ghana rather than any other African country first are as follows. 1. W.E.B. Du Bois was invited there by the first elected President after independence that being Kwame Nkruma to write a history of Africa and Du Bois lived the last three years of his life in Ghana. His home is now a historical site that we hold monthly meetings on along with other groups doing the same. It can also be toured and much can be learned about Du Bois and Ghana by visiting the site. 2. Nkruma is held in high esteem by some of us in the Black community because of his strong Pan African political stands. We value his contributions. 3. Minister Louis Farrakhan and The Nation of Islam held their Savior's Day Convention there in 1994 and Farrakhan and former President Rawlings had a good relationship. From what I can tell President Rawlings has and had a positive attitude towards Black Americans. 5. Like Nigeria Ghana is an English speaking nation so it does not pose a language barrier. That being said it is not difficult for those of us who want to trace our African ancestry by way of DNA. African Ancestry.com is the way to do it and I am more than happy to know who it is or some of those in Africa that I have a blood connection with and am proud to have Igbo blood in my veins and by knowing something about Igbo people I can see some of their traits in myself and also in my family. Praise God

5 Likes

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 4:29am On Oct 09, 2014
Bshabazz:
I am one of the Black Americans who has done the DNA test to trace my African Ancestry. One line of my family goes back to the Igbo of modern day Nigeria. I have traveled to Ghana over 6 times and lived there for two years 2011 to 2013! I have plans on returning to the continent for good in the next few years. To be honest had I known about my DNA connections to Cameroon and Nigeria I would have traveled to Nigeria first! I still plan to visit Nigeria. It would be good to set foot on the grounds where some of my ancestors came from. The reason I traveled to Ghana rather than any other African country first are as follows. 1. W.E.B. Du Bois was invited there by the first elected President after independence that being Kwame Nkruma to write a history of Africa and Du Bois lived the last three years of his life in Ghana. His home is now a historical site that we hold monthly meetings on along with other groups doing the same. It can also be toured and much can be learned about Du Bois and Ghana by visiting the site. 2. Nkruma is held in high esteem by some of us in the Black community because of his strong Pan African political stands. We value his contributions. 3. Minister Louis Farrakhan and The Nation of Islam held their Savior's Day Convention there in 1994 and Farrakhan and former President Rawlings had a good relationship. From what I can tell President Rawlings has and had a positive attitude towards Black Americans. 5. Like Nigeria Ghana is an English speaking nation so it does not pose a language barrier. That being said it is not difficult for those of us who want to trace our African ancestry by way of DNA. African Ancestry.com is the way to do it and I am more than happy to know who it is or some of those in Africa that I have a blood connection with and am proud to have Igbo blood in my veins and by knowing something about Igbo people I can see some of their traits in myself and also in my family. Praise God

Welcome back to your ancestry bro. smiley

5 Likes

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by ChineduShabazz: 4:17pm On Nov 02, 2014
I am looking into getting that dna test done for myself. Any advice would be most appreciated.
Bshabazz:

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by tg1lmore: 5:21pm On Nov 02, 2014
Hello, I'm AA and my paternal DNA matched the Igbo of Nigeria. I used www.africanancestry.com .

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 5:27pm On Nov 02, 2014
tg1lmore:
Hello, I'm AA and my paternal DNA matched the Igbo of Nigeria. I used www.africanancestry.com .

Nice to have you back home, tg1|more. smiley

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by tg1lmore: 9:00pm On Nov 02, 2014
Thanks! Looking to learn all I can.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by osystein(m): 3:04am On Nov 04, 2014
KidStranglehold:
It seems Virginia has a significant number of AA's who are descendant from Igbo's. And also it seems light skined AA's may not be the result of the over-exaggerated "plantation rape" but Igbo's themselves. Along with many other lighter toned African ethnics like the Fulani's. Remember AA's are a mix of a diverse group of African ethnics.

Fulanis? You were denying that AA have Bantu (Congolese & Angola) ancestry, now you claim Fulani ancestry, what is up with you?
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 1:54pm On Nov 04, 2014
tg1lmore:
Thanks! Looking to learn all I can.

Be sure to ask me your questions. I'll always respond. smiley
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Mandume: 6:04am On Nov 08, 2014
osystein:

Fulanis? You were denying that AA have Bantu (Congolese & Angola) ancestry, now you claim Fulani ancestry, what is up with you?

^^
True, the first enslaved Africans who ended up in North America (USA) were peoples from Angola (Jamestown, Virginia) . That being said, I think the majority of the bantu-speaking peoples went to the Islands & Southern America (especially Brazil) .
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 7:06pm On Nov 19, 2014
osystein:

? What is up with you? When did I say AA's DONT have Bantu ancestry?? I said compared to West African ancestry, Bantu ancestry is LESS. One must remember that importing slaves from the area of Angola was BANNED by English/Anglo colonies. Due to those people being rebellious.

And how the heck am I claiming Fulani ancestry? I'm not claiming fulani ancestry as an individual. If you read my post clearly I said SOME AA's MAY have Fulani ancestry and that may be due to their lighter skin tone. Remember Fulanis were taken to the USA due to their rice growing skills which were needed. Not saying every AA has Fulani ancestry but some.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Ignyte(m): 7:03am On Dec 27, 2014
Another thread for the promotion of BIAFRA
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Ihuomadinihu: 5:53pm On Jan 01, 2015
Ignyte:
Another thread for the promotion of BIAFRA
Does it bother you?

2 Likes

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Ignyte(m): 10:14pm On Jan 01, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Does it bother you?

Yup
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Ihuomadinihu: 3:03pm On Jan 06, 2015
Ignyte:

Yup
Are you serious? Take panadol.then.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by cheezylove1126: 4:58am On Jan 07, 2015
I am a Black American and have recently found interest in tracing my Africa roots like many of us have. I've also been able to get a few friends to do it along with me. We are just currently researching the best company to do it with. My family comes from South Carolina and are a part of the Geechee/Gullah groups also known as Sea Island Creole and ive heard much of out lineage traces back to Angola but also Senegambia, Congo, Biafra and Guinea first by way of the west indies.

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Akkub: 5:36am On Jan 19, 2015
Even though Ibo Landing in Georgia and historical pieces of evidence in Virginia during the slave era are the strongest pointers to Igbo presence in the U.S , Ndigbo decidedly turned their backs on U.K after the Biafran Civil War . Both Sir Francis Ibiam and Dick Tiger renounced their royal knighthood and burnt their British passports in resentment. Soon afterwards , UmuIgbo turned back to the Americas and in droves and began mingling with African-Americans . Between then and now, they began to notice Igbo bear a lot of resemblances to them , not just in looks but resistance or stubbornness . Both attributes gave birth to the Civil Rights Movements led by MLK, Jr. Since then a lot of exchanges have been happening including marital ties and now the Igbo Village in Virginia and the visit of African-Americans to Igboland not too long for ritual shedding of the garb of slavery into the status of freeborn . Just last week, ceremonial funeral for all Igbo who died since Slavery to Civil War were laid to rest in Igboland with cenotaphs in an epic solemn ceremony led Gov Willie Obiano. So, just wait and see ... Ndigbo are coming ! Then , more African-Americans will , in the prediction of MLK, walk hand in hand to Igbo land to reclaim their cultural heritage by way of initiation into Igbo Cults ( Iba Mmanwu) and Fraternities ( Ichi Ozo, Iyom ) that truly make them freeborn of our land . Above all , they will also join in reclaiming their Hebrew roots like Ben Ami and Chima Onyeulo in Israel . Isee o o !

2 Likes

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Akkub: 5:50am On Jan 19, 2015
The following are Key Personnel at Israeli Embassy in Nigeria , Abuja that are Igbo because of the ancestral connection they share with them :

Uriel Palti
Ambassador

Florence Osuji
Economic affairs

Anthony Obiechina
Press/Media affairs

Chika Ajaegbu
Public Diplomacy

Irene Eguda
Mashav

To learn more about the Igbo and their Hebraic lineage , check out the following websites for more reading materials :

http://www.haaretz.com/mobile/in-favor-of-politicizing-jewish-identity-1.404508?v=1B2EB503DA0CCDDDAB9585CACE3DBC02

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1434915395?pc_redir=1413712098&robot_redir=1

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by kwametut: 11:46am On Jan 19, 2015
Mtchewww BIG LIES by Igbos...419 nation at it again. These FAKE CONNECTIONS to Israel are part of their INFERIOR COMPLEX. Theyr INFERIOR to all tribes in Nigeria hence they have decided to use LIES.
Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Ihuomadinihu: 5:57pm On Jan 19, 2015
kwametut:
Mtchewww BIG LIES by Igbos...419 nation at it again. These FAKE CONNECTIONS to Israel are part of their INFERIOR COMPLEX. Theyr INFERIOR to all tribes in Nigeria hence they have decided to use LIES.
Wetin carry you come Igbo page? Intruder!

1 Like

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by Nobody: 6:09pm On Jan 19, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Ignore him. Give him any attention and he will flood this thread with anti-Igbo diatribe. Ignore him and he goes away. He is a well-known morbid hater of Nigeria, and Igbos especially.

3 Likes

Re: African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots by bigfrancis21: 6:11pm On Jan 19, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

I wouldn't engage him in a dialogue. He loves it when he's given attention. Ignore him.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Alaafin Of Oyo, Adeyemi At Gabriel Igbinedion 85th Birthday (Photos) / Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene / Interesting Facts About The Igbo People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.