Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,321 members, 7,811,948 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:53 AM

Undetected Sickle Celler - Family (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Undetected Sickle Celler (72094 Views)

Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? / Nigerian Man Marries With ‘fake’ Genotype, Abandons Wife With ‘sickle Cell’ Kids / Advice Concerning : Undetected Sickle Celler (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Ugandatales: 10:10pm On Jan 30, 2021
Winneygirl:
As she is not the one making the post, there must be something we don't know yet.

Most people don't do genotype testing 7 times.
If you're AA, you do maybe one confirmatory test before marriage, that's all.

Why was she running up and down doing genotype test?
It is because she knew she was AS long ago.

Gbam. Case closed
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by FanOfMyself: 10:10pm On Jan 30, 2021
JovialJune:

I just did, it says 92.3% of AAs are susceptible to malaria

For blood group, O has the highest prevalence of 46%, B has 21%, so not all AAs are prone to malaria

I'm AA and B+, so I'm part of the lucky few.
Wow! shocked I am AA and O+... can we get married already wink
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by tsmith(f): 10:11pm On Jan 30, 2021
Acidosis:

There's a loophole in your write-up bro. The level of certainty you have displayed on the thread is too high to believe the lady is your neighbour. You don't even know her until she moved in with her husband, your neighbour, so where's the confidence coming from?

My point is you barely know this woman. Stop being too confident okay?

It's even possible that the husband is also aware of her AS status before marriage. They got married with the hope of raising AS/AA children. Some couples who got blinded with love took this risk. Since their plan turned out this way, of course, they needed to come up with a story so the world won't blame them.

That being said, you should speak with a medical practitioner if your assertions are correct.

Mr sef come tire come dey suspect op as he's vehemently defending the lady and only wanting to hear the notion he has in mind.

Oga op, abegii trust no one except yourself. Sometimes even you will disappoint yourself if faced with certain situations.

And to be clear, dna doesn't naturally evovle. 7 times blood check is lil much unless there is some underlining suspicion. & finally trust no man but yourself

1 Like

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by studentofTruth: 10:11pm On Jan 30, 2021
Ishilove:

That's the point here. The results remain constant, so where did her own AS genotype pop out from after 7 tests?

The principle of "when you know what you are looking for, that's what you will find" was most likely at play in that last test. The lab scientist was already expecting a result.

I would rather accept those previous 7 tests.

She can be HbAA but has a beta thalassemia gene. That is, she's a beta thalassemia carrier.

The baby inherited her beta thalassemia gene, which could not produce hemoglobins. Unfortunately, the other hemoglobin gene the child inherited from the father is HbS, which produces sickled hemoglobins!
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by trumpcoat(m): 10:12pm On Jan 30, 2021
It looks like a stage thing to me, ladies can do anything for love
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Nmezor(f): 10:14pm On Jan 30, 2021
There's more to this story jare, someone is definitely lying

1 Like

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Hayzed0601(m): 10:17pm On Jan 30, 2021
BRATISLAVA:

Must the blame always lie with the woman? What is the genotype of the husband? It's obvious he lied because he knows how everyone will turn eyes on the woman.
Bro,aswear u lack comprehension skills.....no offence wink
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Evicsholar(f): 10:18pm On Jan 30, 2021
studentofTruth:

Can I create a thread to explain what may have happened in that case so that people can learn. I will like you to move it to the front page when I do.
I hope your explanation will cover why the latest result showed the wife is AS
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Tajbol4splend(m): 10:18pm On Jan 30, 2021
Those equipment first used are Aba made
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Nobody: 10:19pm On Jan 30, 2021
etrouble:

I am AA snd I have NIN, can you try that? I married SS. I did not do any genotype because I have always known myself to be AA. It was the Church that did medical test for us and reconfirmed that I am AA and my wife SS.

So, why was the woman going all over the country doing genotype everywhere? Something is hidden
How's your wife? You must have loved her deeply.

1 Like

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by pragmatistm(m): 10:19pm On Jan 30, 2021
Ishilove:

You are the husband, not the so-called neighbor hence the vigorous defence of a very shady woman.
Haba! Madame, are you aware that I'm a long time user of nairaland? And I'm using my real monicker to post this. If I want to hide as the husband will I use my monicker?
You see, many of you here have been confused by a lot negativity you come across everyday online and offline and that's why you can't believe anyone.

Once again, let me make it clear, we are neighbours and I'm not the husband.
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Yippeedaniel(m): 10:23pm On Jan 30, 2021
She was As and God, � pastor changed it to AA. After marriage it returned to As..
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Lamasta(m): 10:27pm On Jan 30, 2021
confidential20:
All these ones up there blaming the woman, you need to stop that. The OP is right. I work in a military hospital and I can categorically tell you that the scenario the OP posted happens here too. It is not only common to Genotype test. Also, it is not an issue of a mistake from the lab scientists as well.
So you mean 7 different lab centres are wrong ba?

The woman is not telling the truth
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by neutral2000: 10:28pm On Jan 30, 2021
This is tough
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by JovialJune(f): 10:28pm On Jan 30, 2021
FanOfMyself:

Wow! shocked I am AA and O+... can we get married already wink

Lol it wont work, I'm Yoruba.
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by studentofTruth: 10:28pm On Jan 30, 2021
Evicsholar:
I hope your explanation will cover why the latest result showed the wife is AS

The latest results cannot be trusted. The principle of "when you know what you are looking for, that's what you will find" was most likely at play there. It's a very important principle in medicine, which is why in clinical trials to ascertain the effectiveness of a drug, researchers do a double blind randomized study — both the doctor and the patients don't know who's receiving the real drug and who's receiving the placebo so as to remove the effects of biases.

My point is, the lab scientist who did the last test (which was after the child tested positive for sickled hemoglobin) was already biased. S/he knew what they're looking for and that's what s/he gave as the result. I would rather trust the previous 7 tests than trust that last test. To clear the doubt, a new test (possibly HB electrophoresis) must be done by a new lab without prior knowledge of the situation!

4 Likes

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Norski15: 10:30pm On Jan 30, 2021
After God fear women.

I'm sensing Paternity Fraud.
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Minjim: 10:32pm On Jan 30, 2021
Caaz:
Maybe her kid was interchanged at birth or something.

The mum is AS
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by BRATISLAVA: 10:32pm On Jan 30, 2021
Hayzed0601:

Bro,aswear u lack comprehension skills.....no offence wink

Depends on if you believe he's really AS and not SS. With his deep details, he is hiding something himself. You land deduction skills ... No offence.
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by FanOfMyself: 10:32pm On Jan 30, 2021
JovialJune:

Lol it wont work, I'm Yoruba.
Says who? I'm Igbo and it can overwork. Unless you are tribalistic
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by OAUTemitayo: 10:32pm On Jan 30, 2021
OP, tell me the truth, your friend is you? You is your friend?
Is you your friend?
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by studentofTruth: 10:34pm On Jan 30, 2021
Norski15:
After God fear women.

I'm sensing Paternity Fraud.

The woman is lucky; there's no ground for paternity fraud. If not, she would have been accused of that, even though she might be innocent.

Paternity issue could only arise if it's the other way around: Woman HbAS and Husband HbAA.
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by pragmatistm(m): 10:35pm On Jan 30, 2021
Innobee99:
The person no fit talk ni?

Why u carry am for head like gele na?
Haba

She's not on this forum.
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Kayharry(m): 10:36pm On Jan 30, 2021
Make Dem do DNA and the mother should do another test . Also the father too should do another genotype test.
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Spicywify: 10:36pm On Jan 30, 2021
Nigerian labs always make genotype mistakes. My brother is an example too.
The wife tested for AA genotype meanwhile she is AS like my brother. Their first born is a sickler.

Shit happens.
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by deavicky(m): 10:37pm On Jan 30, 2021
thundafire:
There are still chances of a child having SS even though both parent are AA or AS. The probability is like 1% and the child happened to be part of the 1%
i don't understand what you are saying, but i believe u are speaking out of ur asss
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by ghidhehorn(m): 10:39pm On Jan 30, 2021
Gene mutation Possible, but unlikely!

There's a very slim chance that a new mutation can occur in an egg or sperm cell - or in a very early stage embryo - that changes a specific genotype like this. The mutation wouldn't be present in the mother or father, but it would be present in a child that's conceived using the mutated egg or sperm cell, or in any embryo where the mutation occurs after conception. This is called a de novo mutation. It's hard to pin down the overall rate of de novo mutation, but we do know that it's more likely to occur when the parents are older at the time of the child's conception.

One other possibility is that one of the parents is a genetic mosaic. This can happen when a de novo mutation occurs after a fertilized egg has already divided at least once; the person will have the mutation in some, but not all, of the cells of their body. It can also occur when two non-identical twins fuse together very early in development. If one of the parents is a mosaic, and their egg/sperm cells are produced by a genetically different part of their body to their blood cells (or whichever other cells were sampled to assess the parents' genotypes), then you might see this AA/AA/AS phenomenon. Apparently this is more common than was previously thought!

(See for example http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/43177/title/Mosaic-Mutations-May-Not-Be-Rare/)

Of course, it's also possible that the person assumed to be the child's biological father is not actually their biological father.

To know for sure, you'd need to look at more than one locus. If this is the only gene where the child's genotype differs from those of the assumed parents (or one of a small number of such genes), it's probably a de novo mutation that took place in an egg or sperm cell, or early in the child's development. If there are lots of other examples of mismatched genotypes, it's much more likely that there's genetic mosaicism or some other kind of, ahem, "mix-up" involved somewhere.

I hope this will help someone.

1 Like

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by nicelaw(m): 10:40pm On Jan 30, 2021
pragmatistm:
She felt she might not be AA because she does not often fall sick like it used to happen to most AAs. That's why she did it repeatedly before marriage.

You have stubbornly refuse to listen to people's take on the matter from your responses. You and your friend are evil and looking for someone to justify your evil deeds..
angry angry
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Flier: 10:40pm On Jan 30, 2021
She lied to her husband that she was AA now she has to face the consequences of her stupid lies
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Flier: 10:41pm On Jan 30, 2021
She lied to her husband that she was AA now she has to face the consequences of her stupid lies ..
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by studentofTruth: 10:42pm On Jan 30, 2021
deavicky:
i don't understand what you are saying, but i believe u are speaking out of ur asss

Don't insult when you don't understand something. There are situations where you have beta thalassemia HbS combination at play.

The child could have inherited the beta thalassemia gene from the HbAA mother and a HbS gene from the HbAS father!

I believe that's what the person you quoted was referring to.
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Flier: 10:44pm On Jan 30, 2021
nicelaw:

You have stubbornly refuse to listen to people's take on the matter from your responses. You and your friend are evil and looking for someone to justify your evil deeds..
angry angry
Imagine she did it repeatedly,which mean they knew about it,they just tried their luck

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (19) (Reply)

Photo Of Mother & Son Relaxing On A Yacht Got People Arguing / Man Finds Out His 3-Year-Old Daughter Is Not His After A Secret DNA Test / I Am Cancelling All Marriage Plans Because Of What My Girlfriend Did To My Niece

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.