Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,332 members, 7,811,971 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:19 AM

Undetected Sickle Celler - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Undetected Sickle Celler (72106 Views)

Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? / Nigerian Man Marries With ‘fake’ Genotype, Abandons Wife With ‘sickle Cell’ Kids / Advice Concerning : Undetected Sickle Celler (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by toprealman: 9:21pm On Jan 30, 2021
pragmatistm:
Not at all. She's her child. The girl even resembles her grandmother well.
Stop defending what you don't know.
If you adopt a baby today, it is not very unlikely that the baby will resemble you at some point later in life.
We do annual check and I remember the Lab guys getting my genotype wrong. Some others people where also affected.
The possible causes:
1. Gene mutation: exposure to various mutagens could have caused this. Very slim though.
2. Wrong diagnosis: most lab in Nigeria should be closed down. From useless equipment that consistently malfunctions to incompetent personnel handling these good for nothing equipment.
3. Baby mixed up at birth: Forget Nollywood, this shii actually happens.
4. Away game: In this era of DNA test, yes the hubby is AS, the possibility of being bunked outside should also be explored. These things have a way of catching up with both the doer and the doee grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by zikter(m): 9:22pm On Jan 30, 2021
BRATISLAVA:

You are already disgracing yourself by believing everything in the story. You believe someone knows of the 7 times his neighbors wife got tested for her genotype, and he trusts her so much he can describe it accurately?

How are you to believe the man is really AS? The whole story is full of doubtful situations. The man could be SS. I know, it's hard for you to believe.
Do not move from the point, you kept insinuating the man's genotype was hidden so as to blame the woman, while it was clearly mentioned in the story which you didn't read but pre planned to blame the man. It is no a question of if the story is true or not. It is a question of not reading before commenting, which is a great disservice to people following comments here. Assuming your theory of ss from the man is true, how come AA and SS birthed SS? If you wanted to question the validity of the story, you should have done that straight away. But, no you went straight to the man's jugular when he had not done anything wrong.

5 Likes

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Vaiki(m): 9:22pm On Jan 30, 2021
Winneygirl:
As she is not the one making the post, there must be something we don't know yet.

Most people don't do genotype testing 7 times.
If you're AA, you do maybe one confirmatory test before marriage, that's all.

Why was she running up and down doing genotype test?
It is because she by knew she was AS long ago.
smart girl!

1 Like

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Ajixegun: 9:23pm On Jan 30, 2021
osazsky:
my bro that woman knew she was AS before marriage...go to some labs and see them buying pregnancy test results he shock u

Is just poor kid they brought into this excruciating country with excruciating condition that I'm feeling for.
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by thundafire: 9:24pm On Jan 30, 2021
zikter:
not in this case if you were able to read to the end. The result after the child was confirmed SS came out to be AS. So the wife is AS the man is AS as well
oh
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by toprealman: 9:24pm On Jan 30, 2021
OP you seem to be the person involved because you know a bit too much here about this "person".

3 Likes

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by osazsky(m): 9:24pm On Jan 30, 2021
ikabasa1:
for her to have gone for the genotype test for about 7 times means she was been deceived to use a particular concoction that will change the genotype to AA when she was sure she is AS.
She lies to the husband and you about the story. Genotype can't be changed
true talk sir ..u are wise..one cold beer for you.the average nigerian woman is desperate..look at op talking of integrity as if she is her sibling..make them pet am she go confess..7 times ..na scan
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by sircatherine45(m): 9:26pm On Jan 30, 2021
Caaz:
Maybe her kid was interchanged at birth or something.
Likely scenario
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by ejihand(m): 9:26pm On Jan 30, 2021
pragmatistm:
You need to hear from laboratory practitioners before you jump into conclusions and castigate an innocent person OK. My wife is a laboratory practitioner and informed me how tedious it used to be with certain AS blood sample and how it always show as AA.

Besides, I reported that even twice during antenatal in a government hospital, her results came as AA. So is it her fault?

Stop lying wilfully. AS variants has no special "tedious" procedure. It same procedure. Infact , it's appearance is very clear and distinguishable from other genotype variants. I am a seasoned laboratory scientist.

Supposing the SS variants was mistakenly for AA variants, that could be forgivable. But for AS. No no no abeg. She is hiding something.

The woman is a liar. Op could be the culprit here.

5 Likes

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by frog12: 9:26pm On Jan 30, 2021
what kind article be this?
it already said the woman came back as AS. so that explains why the child is SS.
the previous lab tests she did was fake results.

frog12:
either they made a mistake or the woman also has AS
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by AbujaCitiBlog: 9:26pm On Jan 30, 2021
pragmatistm:
Good day family people. Please what can you do in this case?

My neighbour's second child, 5 year old girl that used to fall sick often was just recently confirmed sickle celler much to the surprise of the parents and all of us. But that is not even the issue.

The real issue is that the parents tested to know their genotype before marriage and the father was known to be AS and the mother AA. The woman went to 5 different hospitals and laboratories, government and private, to confim her genotype before committing to marriage with the man. After their marriage and during her two antenatal in the hospital, she tested her blood each time again and her genotype was still confirmed AA. Now suddenly when her daughter was fallen sick often she requested for genotype test for the daughter and it was confirmed she was SS. That made the doctor to ask the mother to go for genotype test again and it turned out as AS.

Please how do you explain this family people and doctors in the house? What do you do to those that conducted the 7 previous tests both in government and private hospitals?
She is an evil woman! She wanted to marry the man at all costs! That's how they behave. Desperados! She has been manufacturing results in connivance with some lab scientists for a few thousands.

Most women of nowadays are scum! Do not accept HIV test or gentotype test from her own lab or her own Doctor!
Evil women everywhere! These vagina people are terrible!

2 Likes

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by AbujaCitiBlog: 9:26pm On Jan 30, 2021
pragmatistm:

My neighbour's second child, 5 year old girl that used to fall sick often was just recently confirmed sickle celler much to the surprise of the parents and all of us. But that is not even the issue.

The real issue is that the parents tested to know their genotype before marriage and the father was known to be AS and the mother AA. The woman went to 5 different hospitals and laboratories, government and private, to confim her genotype before committing to marriage with the man. After their marriage and during her two antenatal in the hospital, she tested her blood each time again and her genotype was still confirmed AA. Now suddenly when her daughter was fallen sick often she requested for genotype test for the daughter and it was confirmed she was SS. That made the doctor to ask the mother to go for genotype test again and it turned out as AS.

Please how do you explain this family people and doctors in the house? What do you do to those that conducted the 7 previous tests both in government and private hospitals?
She is an evil woman! She wanted to marry the man at all costs! That's how they behave. Desperados! She has been manufacturing results in connivance with some lab scientists for a few thousands.

Most women of nowadays are scum! Do not accept HIV test or gentotype test from her own lab or her own Doctor!
Evil women everywhere! These vagina peopleare terrible!

1 Like

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Dalby(m): 9:27pm On Jan 30, 2021
pragmatistm:

First of all it is odd that you will do 7 test for genotype especially when the first one tells you that your genotype is AA. She has been AS all along and probably doctored the genotype results all along... undecided undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by tuzle(m): 9:27pm On Jan 30, 2021
thundafire:
There are still chances of a child having SS even though both parent are AA or AS. The probability is like 1% and the child happened to be part of the 1%
guy read again, it was said that she later did a test after the child was confirmed to be SS and it came back as AS
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by nextstep(m): 9:27pm On Jan 30, 2021
It just means we have lousy testing in this country. angry
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by osazsky(m): 9:27pm On Jan 30, 2021
Ajixegun:

Is just poor kid they brought into this excruciating country with excruciating condition that I'm feeling for.
my bro last month here a girl offered my wife 50k..to change her negative pregnancy test result to positive just to put it on an inocent guys head..these people are stupid o..i will continue to support dna testing in nigeria no matter how expensive these bitchess are heartless o and self centered
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Vetzy12(f): 9:28pm On Jan 30, 2021
I work in a medical laboratory.. We usually run our genotype twice before giving out the result.. Sometimes we advise couples to do a repeat test elsewhere for confirmation if they are still in doubt. You can't tell me 7 different lab confirm she was AA and now she is AS.. I suspect a foul play.. Why did she go to 7 Lab in the first play is she wasn't AS.

4 Likes

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by abimic(m): 9:29pm On Jan 30, 2021
JovialJune:

Abeg we don't fall sick, where did you hear that from, I've not used any drugs or injection in years and I'm AA.
How many times have you confirmed yours? sad sad sad shocked shocked shocked
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by FanOfMyself: 9:30pm On Jan 30, 2021
JovialJune:

Abeg we don't fall sick, where did you hear that from, I've not used any drugs or injection in years and I'm AA.
I think he meant that AA genotype are prone to malaria than AS and SS. I'm AA and I easily get down with malaria anytime I am exposed to mosquito bites, a friend who is AA confirmed same few days ago when we I was taking malaria drugs. Aside from malaria, I have never suffered from any sickness as far as I can remember
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by studentofTruth: 9:30pm On Jan 30, 2021
pragmatistm:

It is possible the woman is AA but also most likely a beta thalassemia carrier, which most Nigerian labs don't test for!

The child inherited a HbS gene from the father and a beta thalassemia gene from the mother.

Here's what is likely going on in the child:

The thalassemic Hb gene from the mother cannot produce any reasonable hemoglobin.
The HbS gene from the father produces sickled hemoglobin.

The end result is the child having sickled hemoglobin in his/her blood, which Nigerian labs would tag SS.

But, genetically, the child is HbAS with an inactive (beta thalassemic) HbA component and an active HbS component!

Some of you are wondering why she did test 5x and 2x again during antenatal: Well, someone may have had a hemoglobinopathy (beta thalassemia) in her family, which she, just like any of you here, might have thought was sickle cell anemia. So, she wanted to be sure she doesn't have it. Obviously, she doesn't have the beta thalassemia, but unfortunately, she's a carrier. The point is, SCD is not the only hemoglobinopathy; there are others like beta thalassemia, which are also recessive. When a carrier of SCD (AS) marries an AA who's a beta thalassemia carrier, they can have an AS child that manifests as SS because the HbA component is inactive!

Regarding the woman's latest test that showed AS: The result cannot be trusted! The principle of "when you know what you are looking for, that's what you will find" was most likely at play there. It's a very important principle in medicine, which is why in clinical trials to ascertain the effectiveness of a drug, researchers do a double blind randomized study — both the doctor and the patients don't know who's receiving the real drug and who's receiving the placebo so as to remove the effects of biases.
My point is, the lab scientist who did the last test (which was after the child tested positive for sickled hemoglobin) was already biased. S/he knew what they're looking for and that's what s/he gave as the result. I would rather trust the previous 7 tests than trust that last test. To clear the doubt, a new test (possibly HB electrophoresis) must be done by a new lab without prior knowledge of the situation!

This being on this page, I'm concerned that most people won't see it. @Ishilove, you can create a thread with the information here and put it on the front page so that people can learn and stop castigating the woman. She's lucky that she wasn't the AS and her husband AA; if not, she would have been accused of paternity fraud while innocent!

3 Likes

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by osato45: 9:30pm On Jan 30, 2021
Cooked up story to gather traffic, if you know, you know
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by JovialJune(f): 9:32pm On Jan 30, 2021
abimic:

How many times have you confirmed yours? sad sad sad shocked shocked shocked

Multiple times, my Parents are AA.
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Srallens(m): 9:32pm On Jan 30, 2021
BRATISLAVA:

Must the blame always lie with the woman? What is the genotype of the husband? It's obvious he lied because he knows how everyone will turn eyes on the woman.
. Did you even mind reading the post before your comment, oh thou BRATISLAVA?
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by AdeolaOmoOba(m): 9:33pm On Jan 30, 2021
People please don't bother thinking along the line of DNA test o.
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by JovialJune(f): 9:33pm On Jan 30, 2021
FanOfMyself:

I think he meant that AA genotype are prone to malaria than AS and SS. I'm AA and I easily get down with malaria anytime I am exposed to mosquito bites, a friend who is AA confirmed same few days ago when we I was taking malaria drugs. Aside from malaria, I have never suffered from any sickness as far as I can remember

Well I don't get sick of even malaria, not all AAs get sick of malaria easily.

1 Like

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by etrouble: 9:35pm On Jan 30, 2021
NoToPile:

Not necessarily @ bolded she was most likely trying to be very sure she was AA ( Knowing how often these mistakes happen ) because she knows her fiancee is AS to avoid stuffs like this.

Its simple if you want to marry an AS, its common sense to confirm, confirm and reconfirm your AA status.

I am AA snd I have NIN, can you try that? I married SS. I did not do any genotype because I have always known myself to be AA. It was the Church that did medical test for us and reconfirmed that I am AA and my wife SS.

So, why was the woman going all over the country doing genotype everywhere? Something is hidden

1 Like

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by FanOfMyself: 9:35pm On Jan 30, 2021
JovialJune:

Well I don't get sick of even malaria, not all AAs get sick of malaria easily.
Ok dear, just read this https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://scialert.net/fulltext/amp.php%3Fdoi%3Dpjbs.2006.452.456&ved=2ahUKEwj0wsSgvsTuAhWrx4UKHWjACdgQFjABegQIAhAF&usg=AOvVaw1vdg_OG-L4Vzf2zKZB7F9Y&ampcf=1

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by abimic(m): 9:35pm On Jan 30, 2021
How jobless could one be to b confirming genotype 7times? that even gave her off to be hiding something. I did mine in two separate big hospitals, to be very sure, so why running them 7 times, and getting same result, i would not even blame the labs, but the woman, she must have lied to herself one way or the other, 7 good different labs can never be wrong except she bought the results with money. She has been AS all along which she knows, she just was deceiving herself.

2 Likes

Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Ajixegun: 9:35pm On Jan 30, 2021
osazsky:
my bro last month here a girl offered my wife 50k..to change her negative pregnancy test result to positive just to put it on an inocent guys head..these people are stupid o..i will continue to support dna testing in nigeria no matter how expensive these bitchess are heartless o and self centered
Ah! All is well.
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by iPopAlomo(m): 9:35pm On Jan 30, 2021
pragmatistm:

Nothing to see here... Do DNA test

Next!!!
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by osazsky(m): 9:36pm On Jan 30, 2021
If she wasnt AS why run the test 7 times. She dey hide something.whoever believes this woman can believe anything like tomorrow beign april 5th 1978 nonsence .poor child..the woman they find who she go blame so that people will not insult her..excuses are lies we tell ourselves so that it doesnt have to be our fault
Re: Undetected Sickle Celler by Melonny(m): 9:36pm On Jan 30, 2021
Ishilove:

The woman has not yet told us how that child turned out to be SS. I put it to you that she was always AS and she knew, but maybe desperation pushed her into lying to her husband about her genotype. How can she consistently do tests over a number of years and the result is always AA, but this one time when the child is confirmed to have sickle cell anemia, she does another test and voila, she is AS. Just one time.

She is a liar and a very terrible person. Now she has brought an innocent child to suffer
You are right. I have done the test 4 times at different stages in my life and the result didn't change for once.
She is a liar

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

I Am Cancelling All Marriage Plans Because Of What My Girlfriend Did To My Niece / Man Finds Out His 3-Year-Old Daughter Is Not His After A Secret DNA Test / Married Nigerian Ladies No Longer Take Shit From Their Husbands (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.