Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,646 members, 7,851,179 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 02:40 PM

Almajiris - Nigeria's Ticking Time Bomb - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Almajiris - Nigeria's Ticking Time Bomb (14725 Views)

Adebayo Shittu, A Ticking Time Bomb, Good For The Success Of PDP / Femi Aribisala: Buhari Is A Ticking Time Bomb With A Dangerous Agenda / We Used Almajiris To Vote Out Jonathan – Kwankwaso (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Almajiris - Nigeria's Ticking Time Bomb by Beync(f): 10:16am On Apr 25, 2011
I expect these NL Almajiris to come up with usefull  programmes/project proposals which wud be design to pracatically change these almajiri children into usefull and productive force to their relevant cummunities and society at large then meet the relevant authorities to put the necessary sytem tarwards making these projects visible. Instead of coming here to preach Islam is peacefull and all that scripts, taking defence.
Re: Almajiris - Nigeria's Ticking Time Bomb by deadie(m): 11:10am On Apr 25, 2011
Northerners have better opportunity than those from the south when it comes to education. They have scholarships to study and gain admission to Universities with lesser grade (so called educationally less developed states). The average Southerner struggles to school with contribution from family (people sell their lands to send their kids to school where I come from), graduates, gets sent to the North for his NYSC and gets killed by the Almajiri's. The compensation due to the family will be "a regret" by the Federal Govt for the loss of lives. What a useless country. Animals.
Re: Almajiris - Nigeria's Ticking Time Bomb by LadyT(f): 11:19am On Apr 25, 2011
Beync:

I expect these NL Almajiris to come up with usefull  programmes/project proposals which wud be design to pracatically change these almajiri children into usefull and productive force to their relevant cummunities and society at large then meet the relevant authorities to put the necessary sytem tarwards making these projects visible. Instead of coming here to preach Islam is peacefull and all that scripts, taking defence.

Thank you oh! I'm shocked anyone with any sense would think the current program was actually a positive thing!
Re: Almajiris - Nigeria's Ticking Time Bomb by nagoma(m): 11:42am On Apr 25, 2011
I have spoken many times of the hatred for north that is the fundamental feature of nairaland politics. Even when we condemn what happen in the north & we praise the current effort by the PDP government to arrest and prosecute and punish offenders ( never done before in PDP history - security was never their priority) , the majority NL are falling on top of each other trying to inflict more severe insults and incitement. LagosShia has done well in bringing some of the home truths. Thank u.
Re: Almajiris - Nigeria's Ticking Time Bomb by kulutempa: 11:50am On Apr 25, 2011
Another riot from the past:  Kano riots of 1953.

Culled from Michael Crowder's  The Story of Nigeria

The Kano Riots of 1953 followed a tense period created by a stream of political events relating to a bill for self government.
Underlying causes and the riots

In 1953, a member of the Action Group, Anthony Enahoro introduced a private bill asking for the swift grant of self government by 1956. The motion was supported by Action Group members and majority of the members of the N.C.N.C., the dominant party in the East. However, Northern Nigerian politicians felt the region was not yet ready for self government. In a subsequent Council of ministers meeting, the Northern ministers decided not to join in discussions concerning the Enahoro bill at the House of Representatives. This situation was displeasing to the Action Group going by the Council of Ministers code of collective responsibility which stipulates a unified front in the debates, this led to the resignation of Action Group ministers in the colonial government. The Northern leaders then tried to salvage the situation by presenting a bill for self government at a practicable time. However, while the N.I.P and N.P.C. ministers abstained from the Enahoro bill, the Action Group and NCNC ministers this time walked out of the new bill scheduling self government at a practicable time. The political impasse resulted in taunts towards the Northern legislators by many southerners leading the legislators and many Northern leaders to feel disenchanted with Southern politics. The situation came to a precipitous state when the Action Group leader, Ikenne born politician, Obafemi Awolowo who had called some Northern leaders despots decided to visit kano, mostly the Southern Quarters, Sabon Gari, a tour some described as tactless. The situation in Sabon Gari became tense and the Kano Native Authority at the last minute withdrew a permit given to the Action Group. However, this did not deter thousands from showing up. Also, the political crisis over the independence bill and the anti-Southern feeling it generated among many Northern politicians had resulted in increased resentment of Southerners by Northerners this was mixed with a deep suspicion by some conservative Koranic scholars of non Muslim Southerners in Sabon Gari.

The riots started when protesting kano residents came out to voice there displeasure at the Action Group meeting and from May 16-19, violence broke out in the city of Kano. The colonial government by May 18, declared a state of emergency in Northern Nigeria and troops were deployed to the city. However, the violence was only within kano. Between 36-52 people were killed and over 200 people were injured in the fracas.

I have noticed a common pattern with these Northern riots which is that anytime they happen, Northern political, traditional  and religious leaders hardly ever come out to condemn them and appeal  for calm.   This sounds like consent by silence and I think it's about time that a bill should be passed by the  Nigerian parliament that whatever the cause of the crisis all such  leaders in the affected areas must without fail, immediately come out, and unilaterally condemn the riots, while also calling on the rioters to stop their violence forthwith.  If they refuse to do so it would mean that these leaders do not have the interests, peace and security of the country at heart and the electoral laws should be amended to prevent any such persons from contesting  for any political office ever again, or holding any public office in the country.  Enough is Enough, and the time has come for a strong clear message to be sent, that the blood of Nigerians can no longer be split with impunity.
Re: Almajiris - Nigeria's Ticking Time Bomb by kokogee: 12:19pm On Apr 25, 2011
Beync:

I expect these NL Almajiris to come up with usefull  programmes/project proposals which wud be design to pracatically change these almajiri children into usefull and productive force to their relevant cummunities and society at large then meet the relevant authorities to put the necessary sytem tarwards making these projects visible. Instead of coming here to preach Islam is peacefull and all that scripts, taking defence.

Since the beginning of this thread, you have made no sensible contribution than castigating a religion rather than an act of destruction. If you were reading and following the topic, my 2 responses to pro01(where he said his target were northern Muslims) explained the causes of and possible solutions to the problem at hand. But I would still explain again with the hope that I'm not talking to parochially deaf person.

1st, any society where ppl feel that there is injustice, depending on how tolerant, exposed and educated the ppl are, break down of law and order would occur from time to time as in the case of Nigeria.

Talking about education, the United Nation recommended a 40% of annual budget for education especially in the developing countries where over 70% of the populace are stack illiterates. But Nigeria gov allocates less than 10% to our already decayed education thereby leaving ppl to be unrefined and take wrong and deadly decisions when issues of national interest arise. MANY OF US DON'T KNOW THAT GOV IS DOING IT DELIBERATELY BCS THEY BELIEVE THAT IT IS ONLY EDUCATED MINDS THAT KNOW AND DEMAND FOR THEIR RIGHTS FROM GOV; FORGETING THAT EDUCATED ONES REACT CALMLY THOU FREQUENTLY AND THEIR UNEDUCATED MAJORITY REACT VIOLENTLY ANYTIME THEY HAVE TO REACT. SO GOV SHOULD INCREASE, MONITOR AND ENSURE IMPLEMENTATION OF ALLOCATIONS TO EDUCATION.

Again, there is a need to spend more on capital/social infrastructural  projects, especially electricity and roads which would serve as panaceas for industrialisation and job creation; this would make ppl to live responsible lives and I don't think any responsible human being want to get involve in violence. It is only the hopeless ppl whose dreams are already shattered that do not care whether they are consumed in a violence or not.

Lastly but most importantly, SOVEREIGN NATIONAL CONFERENCE SHOULD BE CONVENED to renegotiate and re agree on conditions for our coexistence as nation puting into consideration our ethnic, religious and socio-cultural differences as ppl.

GOD HELP NIGERIA ONLY IF WE HELP OURSELVES (HEAVEN HELP THOSE WHO HELP THEMSELVES).
Re: Almajiris - Nigeria's Ticking Time Bomb by nagoma(m): 12:24pm On Apr 25, 2011
Kuletempa it is interesting that as usual u carefully avoided the details of the initial problems. When the northern delegate who explained the situation of education in the north and requested for additional 2 year preparation before we can have independence were attacked and many lynched in Lagos. The left the iddo train station under the colonial protection but being pelted with stones out of Lagos . Yes there was tension in the north after the arrival of the survivors of that meeting and was understood and controlled. The aim of the south was to get a quick independence for Nigeria so they could replace the colonial officers in the north as the northerners had negligible western education  - in effect they wanted to be the new colonial powers. The few people northerners who received the crash program in preparation for the independence have really done well- they were mail teachers like tafawa balewa ,Aminu Kano, the sardauna, JS Tarka and Shagari as examples.
You also avoided talking about the greated riot of all - the western Nigeria riot of 1963 when all northerners were targeted and hacked to death between Lagos and Ibadan.  Even northerners who were members of the AG attending the actiog group meetings had kerosine poured on their vehicles and set ablaze by the same action group members. There wAs a state of emergency in the west and Dr. Majekudunmi who was then the chief medical officer of the federation and not a politician was appointed the Administrator of the Western region by T/ Balewa. This riot gave the name of " wild West" to the western region and was where all rioters Learnt the evil business of rioting.  Please read some vivid account of that riot in a book "Epidemics , Academics and Politics " written by Professor Mohammed who was at the time - early sixties one of the few northerner medical student at the university college Ibadan.
Re: Almajiris - Nigeria's Ticking Time Bomb by kulutempa: 12:58pm On Apr 25, 2011
@nagoma, I would appreciate it if you could provide me with an independent source for your claim that the Northern delegates were lynched in Lagos in 1953. I have referred you to an excerpt from a book that documented what happened and it would assist greatly if you could do the same. You seem to be missing the point which is that these riots in the North tend to happen much more frequently than those in other parts of Nigeria and they always seem to have religious undertones with Churches and places of worship being burnt. More to the point, I have put up this post not to discuss the rights or wrongs of the causes of the riots, or to cast blame but to see how we can better understand why they happen and how can be averted in the future. That is why I believe all decent and law abiding Nigerians from the North, South, East and West, should condemn them wherever and whenever they happen in Nigeria, and our leaders should find a common ground and implement measures to prevent them from happening again. Taking sides and trying to justify them is hardly going to achieve that.
Re: Almajiris - Nigeria's Ticking Time Bomb by Kobojunkie: 1:11pm On Apr 25, 2011
kokogee:

Since the beginning of this thread, you have made no sensible contribution than castigating a religion rather than an act of destruction. If you were reading and following the topic, my 2 responses to pro01(where he said his target were northern Muslims) explained the causes of and possible solutions to the problem at hand. But I would still explain again with the hope that I'm not talking to parochially deaf person.

1st, any society where ppl feel that there is injustice, depending on how tolerant, exposed and educated the ppl are, break down of law and order would occur from time to time as in the case of Nigeria.

Talking about education, the United Nation recommended a 40% of annual budget for education especially in the developing countries where over 70% of the populace are stack illiterates. But Nigeria gov allocates less than 10% to our already decayed education thereby leaving ppl to be unrefined and take wrong and deadly decisions when issues of national interest arise. MANY OF US DON'T KNOW THAT GOV IS DOING IT DELIBERATELY BCS THEY BELIEVE THAT IT IS ONLY EDUCATED MINDS THAT KNOW AND DEMAND FOR THEIR RIGHTS FROM GOV; FORGETING THAT EDUCATED ONES REACT CALMLY THOU FREQUENTLY AND THEIR UNEDUCATED MAJORITY REACT VIOLENTLY ANYTIME THEY HAVE TO REACT. SO GOV SHOULD INCREASE, MONITOR AND ENSURE IMPLEMENTATION OF ALLOCATIONS TO EDUCATION.

Again, there is a need to spend more on capital/social infrastructural  projects, especially electricity and roads which would serve as panaceas for industrialisation and job creation; this would make ppl to live responsible lives and I don't think any responsible human being want to get involve in violence. It is only the hopeless ppl whose dreams are already shattered that do not care whether they are consumed in a violence or not.

Lastly but most importantly, SOVEREIGN NATIONAL CONFERENCE SHOULD BE CONVENED to renegotiate and re agree on conditions for our coexistence as nation puting into consideration our ethnic, religious and socio-cultural differences as ppl.

GOD HELP NIGERIA ONLY IF WE HELP OURSELVES (HEAVEN HELP THOSE WHO HELP THEMSELVES).

Did you really need to indulge the so-called educated who blindly pretend the solutions remain UNKNOWN? This was the same solution prescribed back some 20 years ago, and is still suggested to date. ECOWAS even recently made demands on Nigerian Government to ensure Education be a right for each child in this country, yet we are still getting the "PROFFER SOLUTIONS" crowd coming in to pretend there are no known solutions to the situation and decay in the North and other poor communities across Nigeria?? Please Stop encouraging them!
Re: Almajiris - Nigeria's Ticking Time Bomb by Beync(f): 1:13pm On Apr 25, 2011
kokogee:

with due regards, i hope ur ignorant person is fully aware the north has been in helm of political affairs in this country for decades, u have ur leaders to blame for not finding workable solutions to the plights of ur almajiris who now resort to voilent at the pronousment of election results. talk about education in nigeria, 10% budget allocation to education does not only effect the north but all also the south. nevertheless, the north are at much advantage giving their free and easy access to primary and tertiary institutions dan their sounthern counterpart where u hav to pay thru ur nose to acquire education. if u feel ur been castigated, it's because given the opportunies to hav turn ur states into peacable and condusive enviroments for living u missused opportunities and still constitute clogs in the wheel of development. with the recent killing of innocent people in ur area, do u think this is the time to mimce words in telling u dat ur actions are becoming unbearable? Gush!
Re: Almajiris - Nigeria's Ticking Time Bomb by Princek12(m): 1:49pm On Apr 25, 2011
These Almajiris, Muslim clerics,  and Imams know the solution to this Almajiri crisis, but because they allow their religion to control their judgment, they are currently only paying lip service to the solution.

The solution is a law requiring mandatory basic education for all Nigerian children, and any educational establishment held in violation of this law should be given a time period within which to comply with the requirements or risk being shutdown if they fail to comply.

Knowing this, Imams and governors of northern states will probably oppose the passing and enforcement of such laws, most likely claiming it as an attack on Islam if these Almajir schools were shutdown for failing to comply with the laws.

That is why it is dangerous to mix religion and government, because a lot of people do not reason when it comes to religion. It is also particularly shameful that most Muslim brothers and leaders have not vehemently condemned this Almajiri system.
Re: Almajiris - Nigeria's Ticking Time Bomb by kokogee: 1:56pm On Apr 25, 2011
Beync:

with due regards, i hope your ignorant person is fully aware the north has been in helm of political affairs in this country for decades, u have your leaders to blame for not finding workable solutions to the plights of your almajiris who now resort to voilent at the pronousment of election results. talk about education in nigeria, 10% budget allocation to education does not only effect the north but all also the south. nevertheless, the north are at much advantage giving their free and easy access to primary and tertiary institutions dan their sounthern counterpart where u hav to pay thru your nose to acquire education. if u feel your been castigated, it's because given the opportunies to hav turn your states into peacable and condusive enviroments for living u missused opportunities and still constitute clogs in the wheel of development. with the recent killing of innocent people in your area, do u think this is the time to mimce words in telling u dat your actions are becoming unbearable? Gush!

Clearly, u're educated (probably thru bribing and messing around with lecturers) but you'r largely ignorant with low IQ due to Nigerian system of education,  If not what made u conclude that I'm from north? Let me tell you that my parent from Ogun state settled in Lagos(where I was born and spend all my life till date) over 50 years ago.

2ndly, if you offered(read and passed) a course called ppl and culture, a GST course, the history of pre-colonial education in Nigeria favoured the south(especially the south-westerners) more than the north, thus making the region to be at a disadvantage. They were treated as educationally disadvantaged bcs it is only few of them that have access to education such that they don't even fully utilised the allocation given to them bu universities in the country.

In addition, if u're thinking, u would see that most of our leaders sent their children to private schools and abroad to study bcs they have messed up our education to produce ppl that think like u- ppl who believe that the reason for going to school is to make a living rather than acquire knowledge/analytical mind.

I'M TRYING HARD TO WAKE YOU UP FROM YOUR IGNORANT SLEEP. BUT IT SEEMS YOU ARE NOT READY TO GROW INTELLECTUALLY SUCH THAT FROM ALL THE SOLUTIONS THAT PPL HAVE PROFFERED AND i STILL REITERATED ON IT, ALL YOU CAN SAY IS THAT I'M A NORTHERNER; WHAT A SHAME. DAMN!!!
Re: Almajiris - Nigeria's Ticking Time Bomb by Hash86(m): 1:58pm On Apr 25, 2011
This is rubbish,u ppl don't know wat u a talkn,u just sitdown in d forest and speak nonse,northeners hvbeen practsn almajiri since b4 d coming of oyinbo,but u INYAMIRAI ask ur animal like granies what ar dey been doing b4 oyinbu came?They are leavin like animals,they don't wear cloth,infact dey dont hav anything 2 teach.I wonder where had u been if say oyinbu never come,hahaha,inyamiri kawai
Re: Almajiris - Nigeria's Ticking Time Bomb by LadyT(f): 2:00pm On Apr 25, 2011
It's quite clear a lot of these rich power people be them northers or Muslims from other tribes don't want to see an end to these schools churning out alamajiris as who is desperate enough to receive 1000 naira and then carry machete to chop people to pieces?

If basic education cannot be incorporated into cramming of the Koran then please do the following.

Shut the schools investigate those who paid these holigans to attack innocents and arrest and prosecute them all finish.

I'd we don't do this I suggest Nigeria splits if we can't live together in peace I rather we lived apart as different pieces
Re: Almajiris - Nigeria's Ticking Time Bomb by Rossikk(m): 2:05pm On Apr 25, 2011
Tcrack said

you can force a camel to the river but you cant force it to drink.force them to go to school and you will have university graduates that cant spell their names.western education is several times more advanced and more useful than islamic or any other form of  education.

Please stop stinking the air with your foul subservience. The ''usefulness'' or level of ''advancement'' of ANY education system, including so-called ''western'' education, is relative to and dependent on the outcome required. YOU are not in a position to dictate to others what OUTCOMES they ought to require, or what their goals in life should be.
Re: Almajiris - Nigeria's Ticking Time Bomb by Arosa(m): 2:17pm On Apr 25, 2011
Rossikk:

Tcrack said

Please stop stinking the air with your foul subservience. The ''usefulness'' or level of ''advancement'' of ANY education system, including so-called ''western'' education, is relative to and dependent on the outcome required. YOU are not in a position to dictate to others what OUTCOMES they ought to require, or what their goals in life should be.

Are you implying the almajiri system should be let the way it is?
Re: Almajiris - Nigeria's Ticking Time Bomb by Nobody: 2:36pm On Apr 25, 2011
kokogee:

Clearly, u're educated (probably thru bribing and messing around with lecturers) but you'r largely ignorant with low IQ due to Nigerian system of education,  If not what made u conclude that I'm from north? Let me tell you that my parent from Ogun state settled in Lagos(where I was born and spend all my life till date) over 50 years ago.

2ndly, if you offered(read and passed) a course called ppl and culture, a GST course, the history of pre-colonial education in Nigeria favoured the south(especially the south-westerners) more than the north, thus making the region to be at a disadvantage. They were treated as educationally disadvantaged bcs it is only few of them that have access to education such that they don't even fully utilised the allocation given to them bu universities in the country.

In addition, if u're thinking, u would see that most of our leaders sent their children to private schools and abroad to study bcs they have messed up our education to produce ppl that think like u- ppl who believe that the reason for going to school is to make a living rather than acquire knowledge/analytical mind.

I'M TRYING HARD TO WAKE YOU UP FROM YOUR IGNORANT SLEEP. BUT IT SEEMS YOU ARE NOT READY TO GROW INTELLECTUALLY SUCH THAT FROM ALL THE SOLUTIONS THAT PPL HAVE PROFFERED AND i STILL REITERATED ON IT, ALL YOU CAN SAY IS THAT I'M A NORTHERNER; WHAT A SHAME. DAMN!!!

How typical. The unprovoked belligerence of extremist muslims is so typical. You couldn't address the difficult-to-swallow points she raised, so the next best thing is to throw mud at her? These people sef. They are beyond redemption.

deadie:

Northerners have better opportunity than those from the south when it comes to education. They have scholarships to study and gain admission to Universities with lesser grade (so called educationally less developed states). The average Southerner struggles to school with contribution from family (people sell their lands to send their kids to school where I come from), graduates, gets sent to the North for his NYSC and gets killed by the Almajiri's. The compensation due to the family will be "a regret" by the Federal Govt for the loss of lives. What a useless country. Animals.

This is why I consider the argument that poverty and illiteracy are responsible for the perennial violence and Almajiri syndrome in the Muslim North VERY VERY repugnant. We all know how spoon-fed these zombies are: they are literally begged to go to school, co-opted into premium courses with low JAMB scores, and when they manage to graduate, they get all the plum goverment/public sector jobs with utmost ease. So why would any right thinking person still blame illiteracy and poverty for their incorrigibility? Are those same issues (poverty and illiteracy) not also affecting southerners?

The truth is that we have been treating these animals with kid gloves for far too long - mostly for reasons of political correctness. The embarrassments they have caused this country are legion. I remember the scandalous protests over the proposed 'unIslamic' hosting of the Miss World beauty pageant in Nigeria back in 2001 - which led to the death of several hundreds and burning of tens of churches. I also remember one Yoruba female teacher who was stripped unclothed and bludgeoned to death, and thereafter beheaded by irate muslim pupils in Gombe state who were in 'holy rage' because she seized a Koran from a student who was using it to cheat during an examination. There are countless examples of such ethic/religious killing sprees in the North targeting southerners or Christians -since Independence till date. And yet you expect me to mince words or thread softly when talking about these insufferable beasts?

The ONLY viable solution is that there is NO viable solution other than a total disintegration along North-South lines. Any other cosmetic tolerance-preaching, politically correct solution would amount to nothing more than window dressing. Let them go their way and kill themselves if they so please; I'm sure they can build their arid economy on groundnuts, cunu, kilishi and suya exports. In order to permanently tackle the recurrent threat posed by these Muslim brutes in the North, the only way to go is disintegration. This is a categorical imperative.
Re: Almajiris - Nigeria's Ticking Time Bomb by Beync(f): 2:39pm On Apr 25, 2011
kokogee:

Clearly, u're educated (probably thru bribing and messing around with lecturers) but you'r largely ignorant with low IQ due to Nigerian system of education,  If not what made u conclude that I'm from north? Let me tell you that my parent from Ogun state settled in Lagos(where I was born and spend all my life till date) over 50 years ago.

U guess and u wish? Huh! u rant nonsense. u know exactly what ur sisters are gud at. am sorry to dissapoint u, i' never obtain any grade in kind frm any lecturer in schl. u need a clue as to where i schld? dont worth the effort. I'l do u favor and allow ur imaginary low brain to keep floating.
BTW, why did u quote my post if ur not an almajiri whom i refered to? or u share the same faith with them? oh! i hurth ur faith,gud to know, then u hav the same problem with them even with ur intellectual, ur still not receptive to change and believ their is justification for voilent, rubbish.
Re: Almajiris - Nigeria's Ticking Time Bomb by Nobody: 2:48pm On Apr 25, 2011
Re: Almajiris - Nigeria's Ticking Time Bomb by Nobody: 2:57pm On Apr 25, 2011
Re: Almajiris - Nigeria's Ticking Time Bomb by oderemo(m): 3:15pm On Apr 25, 2011
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kuletempa it is interesting that as usual u carefully avoided the details of the initial problems. When the northern delegate who explained the situation of education in the north and requested for additional 2 year preparation before we can have independence were attacked and many lynched in Lagos. The left the iddo train station under the colonial protection but being pelted with stones out of Lagos . Yes there was tension in the north after the arrival of the survivors of that meeting and was understood and controlled. The aim of the south was to get a quick independence for Nigeria so they could replace the colonial officers in the north as the northerners had negligible western education - in effect they wanted to be the new colonial powers. The few people northerners who received the crash program in preparation for the independence have really done well- they were mail teachers like tafawa balewa ,Aminu Kano, the sardauna, JS Tarka and Shagari as examples.
You also avoided talking about the greated riot of all - the western Nigeria riot of 1963 when all northerners were targeted and hacked to death between Lagos and Ibadan. Even northerners who were members of the AG attending the actiog group meetings had kerosine poured on their vehicles and set ablaze by the same action group members. There wAs a state of emergency in the west and Dr. Majekudunmi who was then the chief medical officer of the federation and not a politician was appointed the Administrator of the Western region by T/ Balewa. This riot gave the name of " wild West" to the western region and was where all rioters Learnt the evil business of rioting. Please read some vivid account
+

word.
Re: Almajiris - Nigeria's Ticking Time Bomb by kokogee: 3:27pm On Apr 25, 2011
pro01:

How typical. The unprovoked belligerence of extremist muslims is so typical. You couldn't address the difficult-to-swallow points she raised, so the next best thing is to throw mud at her? These people sef. They are beyond redemption.

This is what I'm talking about; when ppl decided to be zombie! She asked that ppl should suggest how to eradicate or reduce the problem, I came in and made some suggestions which neither you or your blind sister refused to notice. Rather than taking a critical look at the suggestions, you guys are busy emphasising on why ppl should choose a religion as if Nigerian constitution does not support freedom of religion. OR HOW MANY TIMES DO I NEED TO TELL YOU THAT FOR EVERY PROBLEM, THERE IS/ARE SOLUTION(S) AND THAT IS THE DIRECTION WE SHOULD ALL BE LOOKING AT INSTEAD OF SITTING HERE AND WORSEN THE SITUATION.

Beync:

U guess and u wish? Huh! u rant nonsense. u know exactly what your sisters are gud at. am sorry to dissapoint u, i' never obtain any grade in kind frm any lecturer in schl. u need a clue as to where i schld? dont worth the effort. I'l do u favor and allow your imaginary low brain to keep floating.
BTW, why did u quote my post if your not an almajiri whom i refered to? or u share the same faith with them? oh! i hurth your faith,gud to know, then u hav the same problem with them even with your intellectual, your still not receptive to change and believ their is justification for voilent, rubbish.

I quoted you bcs your comments are not issue-driven and are st.pidly incoherent and illogical. Ur arguments were rather bias and lack merit in totality.

NOBODY SUPPORT VIOLENCE, BUT IF IT BREAKS OUT WHAT DO WE DO TO CURB IT? SOME PPL THAT CANNOT SEE BEYOND THEIR NOSES SAID THE SCHLS SHOULD BE CLOSED DOWN WITHOUT PROVIDING ALTERNATIVE MEANS OF EDUCATING THOSE PPL; IF U HAVE BRAINS, U'D KNOW THAT THEY WOULD RATHER GO INTO FULL-TIME BOMB PRODUCTION, BOKO-HARAM AND ALKAEDA MEMBERSHIP IF THEY ARE LEFT UNENGAGED. Did u not hear that bomb manufacturing companies(and some neighbouring nationals were involve) are being discovered in the north almost on a daily basis? Did you think where the financing could be coming from? All these need serious attention rather than castigating a religion-that is the reality
Re: Almajiris - Nigeria's Ticking Time Bomb by 2mch(m): 3:29pm On Apr 25, 2011
@ OP,

Your title should be " Elite- Nigeria's Ticking Time Bomb" These set of people called the "elite" are the biggest criminals in Nigeria, and have succeeded in impoverishing the nation are responsible for this crises. These people in a sane society will be in jail for 20 years at least. Most of them would have gotten death sentences from numerous murders. There is no difference between them and the Almajiri's. They are solely responsible for the Almajiri state of life. Most Almajiri have lost parents and family to our terrible health care system. They also are refused a right to education, and a promising future by these same elite thieves. You cannot keep stealing at the expense of others. One day, the poor will come and ask for their due. This is what we are seeing today. Let us not blame the Almajiri's, but the government who is responsible for their well-being. They are supposed to be the wards of the state. It is time we start holding out leader's accountable.
Re: Almajiris - Nigeria's Ticking Time Bomb by kodewrita(m): 3:57pm On Apr 25, 2011
I am a christian and would not be party to teaching you how to better worship in a different way.

However, if they wont scrap it, then a better option might be to build a better almajiri institution.

As in building an islamic Mayflower-type institution (Mayflower ikenne started by Tai Solarin) that actually teaches them what they want to learn but at the same time feeds and empowers the almajiri.

That way they graduate from school , literate in the islamic tradition, disciplined from years of rigidly controlled boarding sustainably supported by their effort (in mayflower students farm, bake , knit and do so many things) and dignified with their hearts and minds protected from the degradation of begging while protecting us from the effects of barbaric twisted imams using them for their own ends.

If their parents want to give them up, no problem.

We simply take them and train them up to be literate, islamic and disciplined.

Its a win win for every body.

Parents: They can spend their irresponsible lives doing other things while we train their children and ensure they get fed.
besides the kids would later respect them (even if they did not take care of them) for sending them to THIS almajiri institution.

Govt: Less Crime. Less Riots. Ready labour force (use them for building the school itself only).

Northern politicians: Chance to gain rep by sponsoring the feeding of the children hosted there.

Southerners: We dont get slaughtered and our refined senses are not subjected to the sights and smells of unwashed almajiri beggars.

PROPOSAL:
Number: Four in each northern state, housing 1500 kids each. (19 x 4 x 1500 =) 114000 kids.

Target Demographic: we bring them in at age 8 and send them out of the system at age 18 (man enough to handle themselves).

Other Issues: sex-segregated. Vocational certification on graduation.

Language of Instruction: Hausa, Kanuri, Arabic languages,. English learning only (if they dont want science but we will teach them how to read and place a library conveniently on site. you will be amazed what curious kids can do).

Funding Plan:
max 14 to 15m to set up each one. 60m max total.
Sponsor Percentage Expected cost Dollar Equivalent
Government 50% , (N570,000,000) $3.67m
local govt 5%, (57,000,000) $.367m
State 30% (342,000,000) $2.206m
UNICEF,USAID & NGOs 15% (171,000000) $1.103m

Needed: Law against unregistered schools. unofficial training and breeding by any mallam considered tantamount to child slavery and punishable as such. minimum 7 years.

Critical Success factors: Convincing Northern politicians to go along. Getting NGOS/ Donors to buy in.
Re: Almajiris - Nigeria's Ticking Time Bomb by oderemo(m): 4:24pm On Apr 25, 2011
^^^^,GOD bless u jare. fresh air @ last. away from all these mumbo jumbo preaching weve been reading frm page one. all no make head frm ibadan shia to molete adeboye grin grin
Re: Almajiris - Nigeria's Ticking Time Bomb by LagosShia: 5:07pm On Apr 25, 2011
Re: Almajiris - Nigeria's Ticking Time Bomb by Nobody: 5:20pm On Apr 25, 2011
REBUTTAL:
http://motherjones.com/politics/2002/05/stealth-crusade

The Stealth Crusade
Inside one Southern university, Christian missionaries are being trained to go undercover in the Muslim world and win converts for Jesus. Their stated goal: to wipe out Islam.

Win converts by persuasion through good works not warfare.
Re: Almajiris - Nigeria's Ticking Time Bomb by LagosShia: 5:29pm On Apr 25, 2011
jerseyboy:

Win converts by persuasion through good works not warfare.

you declared a "war" by posting garbage materials attacking the image of a Prophet of God.I am only clarifying.persuasion?that is it!

read the links i provided and see if you'd not be persuaded.i wont actively contribute in this thread like yesterday where 5 pages were used to thwart hate,ignorance and mischief,but I'm still around.haters/spammers beware!
Re: Almajiris - Nigeria's Ticking Time Bomb by nagoma(m): 5:55pm On Apr 25, 2011
LagosShia - you are right. There is as usual the shameless intimidation and fake righteousness . We have all condemned the violence and cannot in anyway support these or any killings. Many of us have the double effect of losing relatives and/or property to  these hooligans or some other form of loss or injury. We alsohave to cope with the shame and accusation from our fellow men that because of religion or kinship - the killings were carried out on my behalf! So i have remain silent even with the insults and most hateful remarks to all muslims and to specific ethnic groups that I see hear on NL.
The problem is governance, and that is why people wanted the PDP out. there is no North or south governance but PDP governance. we have been tricked as they buy the so called leaders and by aggravating religious and ethnic based hatred to divide us further. You need to hear the pentacostal preachings about God's annointment of GEJ and you need to see some of the postings here on NL.
I dont see why the marriage of Aisha to prophet Muhammad should an important issue here. The marriage to the 9 year old took place 1400 years ago in a community that practiced this kind of marriage and with family and clans consent. The critic cannot even tell us if his/her own society new what marriage was 1400 years ago and how they avoided minors. He/She was showcasing Christian morality which we know is a farce! How can you talk of morality when today 21st century not 600AD your priests who supposedly intercede  for you with your God and accept your confessions and repentance are busy violating 9 year old boys? This happens under the supervision of their superiors and is hushed up. They run chains of peodophile networks in churches and they call themselves moralists. They are nothing but sick perverts protected by the might of religion as they carry on with these sexual crimes.
Re: Almajiris - Nigeria's Ticking Time Bomb by LadyT(f): 6:32pm On Apr 25, 2011
Kokogee are you trying to say you are over age 50 and this is how you talk? Daddy you have problem

kokogee:

Clearly, u're educated (probably thru bribing and messing around with lecturers) but you'r largely ignorant with low IQ due to Nigerian system of education, If not what made u conclude that I'm from north? Let me tell you that my parent from Ogun state settled in Lagos(where I was born and spend all my life till date) over 50 years ago.

Re: Almajiris - Nigeria's Ticking Time Bomb by LadyT(f): 6:45pm On Apr 25, 2011
Can everyone please ignore LagosShia et al they are so boring now derailing the topic every 24 secs with silly points
Re: Almajiris - Nigeria's Ticking Time Bomb by Princek12(m): 6:58pm On Apr 25, 2011
lagosShia is an Almajiri who has contributed nothing of substance to this thread; rather Lagos Shia is preaching and defending Islam as a religion of peace.  He is delusional in saying that these Almajiri extremists are not supporting their cruel and inhumane acts with the Quran. Instead of condemning the actions of the Almajiris he is finding a way to justify it.

He has also failed to proffer any solution to the miscreants these Almajiri schools have created. And that a law needs to be enacted guaranteeing that every child receives a basic, comprehensive education, not just memorizing the Quran.

These Almajiris need to know that it is no more business as usual, where people are careful about speaking the truth so as not too offend these northern clerics who are championing these Almajiri schools and illiteracy in the north. We need to go to the north and teach them how to educate their children in these Almajiri schools, and shut down any school that those not have a standardized academic curricula, incorporating Islam and other subjects.

If not, then it is best Nigeria needs to split, because clearly it is appearing that these northerners fit better with the citizens of Niger and Chad, rearing their cattle and memorizing the Quran and blowing up themselves. All we want is peace and a sustainable society.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

NEWSBREAKING: President Buhari Releases Executive Order 8 / David Hundeyin: I Never Hinted At Or Referred To Rinu / Aggrieved APC Leaders Set Up Plan B

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 155
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.