Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,697 members, 7,816,850 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:47 PM

3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq (15702 Views)

Deadly Bombings Reported In Nigerian City Where Boko Haram Was Founded- NY Times / North Now Controls Two Powerful Arms Of Government / Northern Leaders To FG: Demilitarise The North Now (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by EzeUche3(m): 5:21pm On Apr 25, 2011
Tippy Top:

I must say the Yorubas would not like to be in the same union with Igbos and what of the southern/northern minority tribe?
The solution I think would be to have a proper Federal govt that's not too strong at the centre and resource control by states.

Sorry but there is widespread consensus that no one wants the North. You all are dragging us down. The divide in Southern Nigeria is nothing compared to the wide canyon divide between Southern Nigeria and Northern Nigeria.
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by Ivynwa(f): 5:23pm On Apr 25, 2011
EzeUche__:

And why must a break up of this nation turn to war. There is widespread consensus that Southern Nigeria does not want to be in union with Northern Nigeria. We have the education, oil, world wide exposure and our economy is much stronger than the North.
Exactly what I am advocating, peaceful division. Division does not have to go with war and should we wait for the killings to reach full blown war before coming round to negotiating a division at last. We are not as primitive as those who must kill for any little reason, we are an evolved and refined people and can very peacefully negotiate division. Where is Ikemba Nwokeoma? Ewoo! he must be part of that meeting, because the meeting is going to start from where he ended it. How long shall we stand aloof and tag alongside those that hate us?
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by Nobody: 5:24pm On Apr 25, 2011
kulutempa:

Yes you are right.  Let's go along with tippy-tops suggestion of true federalism and resource control by individual states.  How about the oil states get to keep all their oil revenues and the North goes back to putting up groundnut pyramids like you used to do.  That would be nice wouldn't it.  To each according to his ability and resources.

That has been the bane of our development-- Everybody is waiting for their monthly allocation.
If we encourage resource control, States with no resources would be forced to resort to hardwork and taxation, the people would be involved in government since they are bonafide taxpayers.
That is what this country needs.
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by virgo(f): 5:24pm On Apr 25, 2011
@J12, when the time comes for each state or region to determine their future, you'll see the real face of the political "North". You think Abuja is North? Indeed sad
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by EzeUche3(m): 5:25pm On Apr 25, 2011
The North is afraid to divide this nation. If the North had oil, they would have left Nigeria a long time ago.
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by TippyTop(m): 5:26pm On Apr 25, 2011
2mch:

Into 6 countries. No southern Nigeria. After all we have a fair share of the people causing problems in the country today in the South. It would be another 38 years of fighting and further splitting. So 6 countries it is.

No way my friend Edo state would want a country of their own, ehhh so will the Tiv nation, the Berons, Idomas, Urobos'Itsekiris, the ______ add your tribe.
We may end up with at least 250 countries.
Niceeeee
EzeUche__

link=topic=653830.msg8201776#msg8201776 date=1303748516:

Sorry but there is widespread consensus that no one wants the North.

Where did you hold this referendum?
In America abi?
I dey laugh
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by fxtopedia(m): 5:27pm On Apr 25, 2011
To those CAUSING this bomb wahala, MAY PEACE STOP FROM THEIR HOME
To those praying for war, MAY WAR NOT END IN THIER FAMILY.
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by EzeUche3(m): 5:27pm On Apr 25, 2011
Tippy Top:

Where did you hold this referendum?
In America abi?
I dey laugh

If you are afraid. Put it to a vote. Let us see what the average Nigerian feels about this union. And break the vote by region.  cool

My region is big enough to have our own nation.
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by Nobody: 5:27pm On Apr 25, 2011
Tippy Top:

I must say the Yorubas would not like to be in the same union with Igbos and what of the southern/northern minority tribe?

Not true. After all said and done Yorubas and Igbos get along very well. Never killed each other.
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by LeMolar: 5:28pm On Apr 25, 2011
Let Divide This Stupid Country Called Nigeria And We Middle Belt Can No Longer Stay  In The Same Country With Yoruba,Hausa,Fulani The Three Tribe Are The Problem Nigeria Have Today
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by virgo(f): 5:29pm On Apr 25, 2011
250 nations indeed. LOL! The majority down South have more in common that the majority up North. So your point is moot! grin
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by TippyTop(m): 5:30pm On Apr 25, 2011
250 countries from the entity we know as "Nigeria". When trouble sleep yanga go wake am.

Le  Molar:

Let Divide This silly Country Called Nigeria And We Middle Belt Can No Longer Stay  In The Same Country With Yoruba,Hausa,Fulani The Three Tribe Are The Problem Nigeria Have Today

No make me laugh.
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by TippyTop(m): 5:33pm On Apr 25, 2011
virgo:

250 nations indeed. LOL! The majority down South have more in common that the majority up North. So your point is moot! grin

Even you Igbos fight amongst yourself, so its nay impossible for the Calabars and the Ijaws to join you. Lol!!!!
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by Basseti: 5:33pm On Apr 25, 2011
Tippy Top:

Thats a point that need not to be over looked. Too much bickering btw the two tribes on who is better in what. However, if the rivalry is healthy and devoid of any violence, then it might actually work out well as each region will be trying to out compete the other. If not, then I see another division on the way.

Tippy Top:

The solution I think would be to have a proper Federal govt that's not too strong at the centre and resource control by states.

That has been proposed time and time again. I actually think it is a good idea. However, will the North go along with that idea? The prevailing idea is that the North depends heavily on the south for economic stimulus. If the North goes along with the idea of state controlled resources, then that might lay the allegation of over dependence on oil money to rest.
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by EzeUche3(m): 5:33pm On Apr 25, 2011
jerseyboy:

Not true. After all said and done Yorubas and Igbos get along very well. Never killed each other.

Thank you.

When was the last time you heard Igbo/Yoruba violence?

I heard of Igbo/Hausa violence and Yoruba/Hausa violence, but never between Igbos or Yorubas.
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by Nobody: 5:34pm On Apr 25, 2011
Nigeria is wasted. Too much blood has been spilt for the sake of the state.
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by virgo(f): 5:35pm On Apr 25, 2011
@Tippy Top, please kiss the behinds of your Almajiri masters, and stop Nostrademousing. Lol! Which trouble sleep? Are you talking of the rest of the country that has been murdered, and their resources plundered by your Northern masters for 38 years? Come on son, grow some balls. Eishhh, shame! May the spirits of the victims of Maitatsine, Akaluka, Plateau, Kaduna riots, civil war, as well as those of Ken Saro Wiwa and his nine freedom fighters haunt you and your likes forever! AMEN!
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by Nobody: 5:37pm On Apr 25, 2011
@Tippy Top , Edo will be integral part of the south. I suspect you are northern Edo. Talk to the majority.
And by the way there wont be 250 countries, there will be 2. It has always been the Hausa/ Fulani/ Kanuri versus the rest.
The map will be closer to Gideon Orkar.
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by virgo(f): 5:38pm On Apr 25, 2011
It is impossible for which Calabar and Ijaw not to join them? Didn't the last presidential vote pattern say something? Wait na, we dey look una!
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by TippyTop(m): 5:39pm On Apr 25, 2011
Basseti:

Thats a point that need not to be over looked. Too much bickering btw the two tribes on who is better in what. However, if the rivalry is healthy and devoid of any violence, then it might actually work out well as each region will be trying to out compete the other. If not, then I see another division on the way.

That has been proposed time and time again. I actually think it is a good idea. However, will the North go along with that idea? The prevailing idea is that the North depends heavily on the south for economic stimulus. If the North goes along with the idea of state controlled resources, then that might lay the allegation of over dependence on oil money to rest.

The North need's to realize its a proper Fed govt or else, the status quo needs to change. We can't remain like this forever because its not working. The only viable alternative to keep Nigeria one is for states to control their resources.
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by Basseti: 5:39pm On Apr 25, 2011
Tippy Top:

Even you Igbos fight amongst yourself, so its nay impossible for the Calabars and the Ijaws to join you. Lol!!!!

There is always competition even btw siblings, so its no biggie.

However, it takes a different turn when u see another human being as "unbeliever, unfit to live, scum of the earth and also share a view that if u kill one of those "unbelievers" u earn a first class ticket to heaven. That is not competition , my friend. Thats annihilation. No matter the percieved differences amongst the other southern tribes, noone wants to annihilate the other.

And the competition u so speak of can actually be taken care of by ur suggestion: Weak center, resource controlled states , only in this scenario, without the North if they dont like the idea.
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by Nobody: 5:40pm On Apr 25, 2011
We should hold a sovereign national conference this year because this country would not progress with the present scheme of government.
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by bamosagie(m): 5:44pm On Apr 25, 2011
@Tippy Top & Co. let the southerners worry about the division in the south, the united nothern republic can go their own way and mind their business. we would handle our issue the best way we know without bloodshed.
we would have an interesting relationship as neighbours and not confederate.
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by virgo(f): 5:44pm On Apr 25, 2011
@J12, now you actually understand the plight of those that have lost loved ones for the sake of this unholy marriage called "Nigeria". The North is a big problem. The so called moderates in their midst actually provide a cover for the extremists among them to hide. For how long will we keep dragging this malformed baby called the North with us. I have entered into brain racking arguments with non Nigerians who insult us based on the going ons up North. Every bad news comes from there.  If it is not Cholera, deaths to illegal mining, religious riots, it is something else. Please when next you advocate one Nigeria, give us valid reasons for doing so. You think I don't like diversity? I do. Just not when it comes at the price of precious human lives.
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by Nobody: 5:45pm On Apr 25, 2011
@Tippy Top , You are a very reasonable guy. Unfortunately on this one the tide of history is against you.

Nothing this broken can exist for long no matter the force to hold it together.
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by TippyTop(m): 5:48pm On Apr 25, 2011
jerseyboy:

@Tippy Top ,  Edo will be integral part of the south. I suspect you are northern Edo. Talk to the majority.
And by the way there wont be 250 countries, there will be 2. It has always been the Hausa/ Fulani/ Kanuri versus the rest.
The map will be closer to Gideon Orkar.

As an Edo man I can't see why I would want to be swallowed by the Igbos or Yorubas in a divided Nigeria.

jerseyboy:

@Tippy Top , You are a very reasonable guy. Unfortunately on this one the tide of history is against you.

Nothing this broken can exist for long no matter the force to hold it together.

We can help history by resorting to diplomacy, the alternative will be at least 5million dead in the absence of diplomacy.
You willing to sacrice such a figure to achieve what?
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by bamosagie(m): 5:53pm On Apr 25, 2011
@Tippy Top, really doubt your claim to being edo, honestly i think you are from Niger state.
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by Basseti: 5:53pm On Apr 25, 2011
Tippy Top:

As an Edo man I can't see why I would want to be swallowed by the Igbos or Yorubas in a divided Nigeria.

If u are willing to be part of this Nigeria and try diplomacy to make it work, why are u reluctant then to be part of a Southern Nigeria conglomerate and also put ur diplomacy hypothesis to test.

Or are U saying the only reason that Edo is part of Nigeria is the inclusion of the North?  undecided
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by Nobody: 5:54pm On Apr 25, 2011
Tippy Top:

We can help history by resorting to diplomacy, the alternative will be at least 5million dead in the absence of diplomacy.
You willing to sacrice such a figure to achieve what?

History Happens no Matter how we Feel. Unfortunately.
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by virgo(f): 5:54pm On Apr 25, 2011
I have sindi Indian friends whose grandfathers opted out of Pakistan at the division of old India. If the majority want to go to the South, why should one man who loves his Northern masters hold them back? Jersey boy said and I quote

"Nothing this broken can exist for long no matter the force to hold it together."

It is  easy to talk of diplomacy when your family or friends have not been hacked to death by machete wielding religious miscreants.
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by TippyTop(m): 5:57pm On Apr 25, 2011
Basseti:

If u are willing to be part of this Nigeria and try diplomacy to make it work, why are u reluctant then to be part of a Southern Nigeria conglomerate and also put your diplomacy hypothesis to test.

Or are U saying the only reason that Edo is part of Nigeria is the inclusion of the North?

This would be our mindset in a war situation.
Why would we want to be under another big tribe when we can have our own.

jerseyboy:

History Happens no Matter how we Feel. Unfortunately.

How about we shape our history?
Re: 3 Bombs rock Northeastern Nigerian City; Many Dead - North Now Like Iraq by Nobody: 5:57pm On Apr 25, 2011
bamosagie:

@Tippy Top, really doubt your claim to being edo, honestly i think you are from Niger state.

I suspect he is Auchi. Muslims there have northern sentiments. Understandable

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

I Never Joined PDP In Rigging Elections - Amaechi / Presidency Lists 10 Things To Know About Nigeria's Rising Economy / Dangote: My Refinery Will Be Ready For Commissioning Before End Of PMB Tenure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.