Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,931 members, 7,952,742 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 10:51 PM

Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently (33834 Views)

How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? / American Girl That Speaks Yoruba Fluently / How Many Languages Do You Speak Fluently? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by isalegan2: 10:52pm On May 14, 2011
tpia@:

She's speaking ibadan or Oyo yoruba, right? Didnt watch the video cos the topic has been done to death on other threads. . .

To be fair, she sounds awful.  I don't know where the "fluent" thing comes from.

We whites rock!

So glad i'm one.

Rgp92:

We blacks rock too  grin grin grin

dayokanu:

Yes. we the Oyo ppl are the original Yoruba.

tpia@:

Dayokanu this isnt history section.

Stay on topic and admire the girl or what else brings you here.

Whities rock!  Darkies not so much.  Dayokanu sucks!  grin
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by tpia5: 11:07pm On May 14, 2011
Rgp92:

We rock just as much grin grin grin and btw where are you from?

i'm white.

is there a problem?
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by dayokanu(m): 11:47pm On May 14, 2011
LadyT:

Dayo dont start rubbish here angry

Should I start it under your skirt?

tpia@:

Dayokanu this isnt history section.

Stay on topic and admire the girl or what else brings you here.

I came here to look for you honey, It seems you are mad at me, what have I done darling?
kandiikane:

^^She is Nigerian but she denies it.

Maybe she is a tanned albino.
isale_gan2:

To be fair, she sounds awful.  I don't know where the "fluent" thing comes from.

I am certain she speaks better than you and most likely writes better. She was able to speak pure Yoruba without mixing with English like the Amulumola most Yorubas speak nowadays.

Whities rock!  Darkies not so much.  Dayokanu sucks my b00biesgrin

I like the part in bold
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by kandiikane(m): 11:49pm On May 14, 2011
dayokanu:

Maybe she is a tanned albino.

I doubt that.

dayokanu:

I think she is a tanned charcoal.

grin grin
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by LKRavitz(m): 11:58pm On May 14, 2011
Are you guys amazed. Tarzan was white and he could talk to the animals in the jungle even tough Africans have been living with the animals for thousands of years they couldn't. grin slave mentality at work.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by kandiikane(m): 12:02am On May 15, 2011
Really? I thought Tarzan was Indian. shocked shocked
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by dayokanu(m): 12:03am On May 15, 2011
kandiikane:

Really? I thought Tarzan was Indian. shocked shocked

Should we do Tarzan style lockbush
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by LKRavitz(m): 12:05am On May 15, 2011
@ kandikane Tarzan was a white man in a diper that was raised by a goat in Africa.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by kandiikane(m): 12:08am On May 15, 2011
I literally Lmaoooooo.

I actually thought he was raised by a sheep. Well, well, look at that.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by isalegan2: 12:10am On May 15, 2011
dayokanu:

I am certain she speaks better than you and most likely writes better. She was able to speak pure Yoruba without mixing with English like the Amulumola most Yorubas speak nowadays.

Sheeeeeeet!  You must be high.  It is Saturday evening after all.  Siting there with a big ol spliff in your hand in big ol Texas. undecided

Watch the video, Pothead.  grin
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by LKRavitz(m): 12:12am On May 15, 2011
kandikane  just checked it up in the library of congress. you are right, he was raised by a Sheep. my bad. shocked
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by kandiikane(m): 12:21am On May 15, 2011
cheesy

I bet if you check properly too you will find he was Indian.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by LKRavitz(m): 12:28am On May 15, 2011
kandiikane:

cheesy

I bet if you check properly too you will find he was Indian.

Ye i finally got it. i mean this quote thing. been tryna figure it out. My brilliant brain.oh yes he is Indian.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by Natasha2(f): 12:34am On May 15, 2011
duh some people and their backwardness SMH
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by ektbear: 12:39am On May 15, 2011
Is "slave mentality" just code for "I'm deeply insecure about white people, and thus must attack anyone praising any individual white person for doing something objectively laudable as a slave"?
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by kandiikane(m): 12:42am On May 15, 2011
L. KRavitz:

Ye i finally got it. i mean this quote thing. been tryna figure it out. My brilliant brain.oh yes he is Indian.

ahahaaha, you silly brain, aye.
ekt_bear:

Is "slave mentality" just code for "I'm deeply insecure about white people, and thus must attack anyone praising any individual white person for doing something objectively laudable as a slave"?
Maybe
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by LKRavitz(m): 12:46am On May 15, 2011
ekt_bear:

I really dont see what the fuss is about this girl. There are milions of africans that speak european and other languages and the locals dont have this shock and awe effect y,all displaying here.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by ektbear: 12:50am On May 15, 2011
L. KRavitz:

I really dont see what the fuss is about this girl. There are milions of africans that speak european and other languages and the locals dont have this shock and awe effect y,all displaying here.

That is exactly the point. Millions of Africans speak European languages. . . so isn't anything surprising.

However, millions of blacks (whites) do not speak Korean (Yoruba). So it makes sense that in Korea (Yorubaland) people would have a "shock and awe" effect if they see someone speaking fluently.

Hell, in the video sef, the two guys were surprised that she spoke to them in Yoruba! So htf are you pretending there is nothing surprising here? That pretending shows an inferiority complex.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by Cuteobi(f): 12:50am On May 15, 2011
kini big deal
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by LKRavitz(m): 12:53am On May 15, 2011
ekt_bear:

Is "slave mentality" just code for "I'm deeply insecure about white people, and thus must attack anyone praising any individual white person for doing something [b]objectively laudable [/b]as a slave"?

The poor girl is just here on course work and you all go ape. objectively laudable my backside. by the way i happen to speak english
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by ektbear: 12:55am On May 15, 2011
It is what it is. . . I'm done with this. If you don't get it now, you won't at all.

Keep hollering "slave mentality."

Very defeatist and anti-progress worldview
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by buzugee(m): 12:56am On May 15, 2011
ekt_bear:

That is exactly the point. Millions of Africans speak European languages. . . so isn't anything surprising.

However, millions of blacks (whites) do not speak Korean (Yoruba). So it makes sense that in Korea (Yorubaland) people would have a "shock and awe" effect if they see someone speaking fluently.

Hell, in the video sef, the two guys were surprised that she spoke to them in Yoruba! So htf are you pretending there is nothing surprising here? That pretending shows an inferiority complex.
bruv i think you are bein too emotional and sentimental here. she did not perform brain surgery on someone here. all she did was learn a language. its really not a big deal. the fact that you think we should make it a big deal actually points the finger at you for having inferiority complex  grin relax bruv.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by LKRavitz(m): 1:01am On May 15, 2011
ekt_bear:

It is what it is. . . I'm done with this. If you don't get it now, you won't at all.

Keep hollering "slave mentality."

Very defeatist and anti-progress worldview

Bro why r u being so sentimental about this. you can give her a bloody GCON for all i care. Doing schoolwork  has now become objectively laudable. Do you know how namy Nigerians study in japan, korea, Belarus,Malaysia and dont forget the hustlers too. Most of them speak the local languages. so in the words of the great neato c- " kini big deal? "
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by ektbear: 1:03am On May 15, 2011
@buzugee: I'm not the one being emotional here. Agreed, this isn't brain surgery. But it is kind of cool. . . just as Koreans will find a black guy who speaks Korean fluently also pretty cool.

Regarding me having an inferiority complex. . . if anything, I suffer from arrogance.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by LKRavitz(m): 1:03am On May 15, 2011
@ buzugee aptly put. i rest my case.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by buzugee(m): 1:04am On May 15, 2011
some of you folks need to learn to keep things in perspective. if this was a black african from south africa who could speak yoruba, would you still think its a big deal ? definitely not. my point being, she aint doing nada special. if you really wanna see impressive, go check out the special forces in the US army. they have to learn new languages in 3 months with the rosetta stone. imagine having to learn iraqi in 3 months ? then next you get posted to japan and you have to learn japanese in the next 3 months. now thats impressive. they get big bucks for their troubles though
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by emmatok(m): 1:06am On May 15, 2011
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by buzugee(m): 1:07am On May 15, 2011
ekt_bear:

@buzugee: I'm not the one being emotional here. Agreed, this isn't brain surgery. But it is kind of cool. . . just as Koreans will find a black guy who speaks Korean fluently also pretty cool.

Regarding me having an inferiority complex. . . if anything, I suffer from arrogance.
arrogance is cool. lol.
L. KRavitz:

@ buzugee aptly put. i rest my case.
right
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by Princek12(m): 2:18am On May 15, 2011
Like I said earlier, those who are saying that there is nothing special that these whites are speaking Yoruba are probably trying to cover their own inferiority complex or shame of not speaking Yoruba despite being born from Yoruba parentage. Sadly but true, many of Yoruba children born in, for example, America do not know how to speak Yoruba. The same goes of children born to parents from other tribes. Their parents simply do not teach them their native language.

That these whites are learning Yoruba will undoubtedly bring media attention to the importance of Yoruba. Inferiority complex has taken root too much in many Yoruba families that they purposefully refuse to teach their children Yoruba, even those in Nigeria. It is now becoming culturally acceptable for children to speak only English; to make matters worse, some of these kids who claim to speak no Yoruba think they are cool and of a higher class than kids who speak Yoruba. Why not learn both languages fluently?

Why trade one for the other? I started a thread about this not too long ago about how just about 100% of Nigerian children born and raised cannot speak their native language and, unfortunately, many Nairalanders like idiots said it is not a big deal to learn your native language. Many NLs even said since English is our national language that there is no need of learning your native language. It is a big shame. Shame to those parents.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by Jenifa1: 2:42am On May 15, 2011
this is pretty cool.

but i do admit that ppl are blowing it out of proportion. esp poster above me

I'm pretty sure that over time, her yoruba skills will decrease. I've met many white people who speak random languages ex. swahili, tagalog etc because they live in a foreign country for a few months or years (as students, international careers etc) but after they leave the country for so many years, they only remember a few sentences here and there.

i'm addressing this post to Princek12.

The same goes of children born to parents from other tribes. Their parents simply do not teach them their native language.

when you become a parent, come back and tell us your progress in teaching your kids yoruba in an english speaking environment.
most whites who speak yoruba or other obscure foreign language do it through intensive language programs (ILP) or by living in a rural area where no english is spoken at all for a few years.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by queensmith: 2:46am On May 15, 2011
Isale gan, your right ,she does sound awful lol.
Re: Titilayo :: The White Girl Tha Speaks Yoruba Fluently by BABE3: 2:51am On May 15, 2011
Eya--- cheesy I'm impressed. The Yoruba get k-leg sha, but she's pretty good. She's better than some Yoruba people I know~~born and breed in 9ja.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

~~~~Blacks Of The New World~Trace Their Blood~~~~ / Locked Gate Of Ooni Of Ife (Photo) / Ibrahim Dasuki Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.