Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,451 members, 7,770,122 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 04:29 AM

ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? - Career (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? (150863 Views)

Acca or Ican / Acca Or Ican Which Should I Go For? Pls Advice / Accountants: ACCA, ICMA Or ICAN. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by blackfm: 10:16pm On Jun 16, 2013
Hey guyz, i actually took my time to go through all the pages on this thread and its been super informative however, I'm kind of in a tough spot regarding choice of which body to go with. I'm a banker, still in my early 20s with a Bsc in accounting. Considering the time crunch that comes with bank jobs, i was favoring the idea of writing ICAN first since i'll only write the professionals and dt would avail me oppurtunity for exemption from ACCA foundation papers after. As of right now, i can't say i nurse ambitions of working overseas or otherwise (I'm taking time to see how things go). I just want to seek advices on which to commit to right now and i want to take a diet of either one b4 the year runs out. Thankx
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by Mustay(m): 6:13am On Jun 17, 2013
Write ICAN
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by midolian(m): 9:44am On Jul 06, 2013
Hi guys, pls am a graduate of kwara state university..I want to enrol for ACCA or ICAN but d problem I hav is dat the school has not bn accredited by dis professional bodies..pls I will like to knw how to go about dis..and pls is it possible to write ACCA exam in nigeria?
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by BAKAREAAT(m): 9:06am On Jul 08, 2013
Look at very well .if you start with ACCA AND THE END YOU STILL WRITE ICAN FINAL STAGE.IF COMMENCE WITH ICAN AT THE END YOU WRITE ICAN FINAL STAGE.pLEASE RETHINK BEFORE TAKING YOUR FINAL DECISION AND REMEMBER ACCA DOES NOT HAVE PATIENT LIKE ICAN THAT WILL ALLOW STUDENTS OR MEMBERS TO ACCUMMULATE ARREARS OF SUBSCRIPTION .ACCA WILL GIVE SEVERAL ADVICES AFTER WHICH IF YOU CANNOT MEET UP .YOUR NAME WILL BE DELETED FROM MEMBERSHIP REGISTER AND YOU START ALL OVER AGAIN.
Thank You
TAIWO(ACA,SAP FINANCE CERTIFIED,ACCA FINALIST)

1 Like

Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by delectabledee: 10:55pm On Jul 08, 2013
Dre is an acca tuition centre in ilupeju area of lagos;riskfree standard associates .does anyone know anything about them ?
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by joshprince: 11:22am On Jul 13, 2013
pls, as an HND holder, hw lng will it tak me to round up my programme, nd hw much will it cost me to run ds programme financially, whch deit will i b excemptd from, pls guy need ds reply is importnt& necessarilly.
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by happyqueen: 10:50am On Jul 19, 2013
PLEASE WHERE DO A B.SC HOLDER IN BANKING AND FINANCE START FROM? AND WHATS THE COST IMPLICATION IF I WANT TO REGISTER AFRESH AND WRITE THE NEXT DIET?
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by timilinda(f): 6:03pm On Jul 19, 2013
[/color][color=#000099]

1 Like

Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by kushkush: 9:06pm On Jul 21, 2013
happyqueen: PLEASE WHERE DO A B.SC HOLDER IN BANKING AND FINANCE START FROM? AND WHATS THE COST IMPLICATION IF I WANT TO REGISTER AFRESH AND WRITE THE NEXT DIET?

I got exemptions from the first three papers after I forwarded my transcripts but it was tough catching on as you would have to read harder than colleagues who did this papers. You can visit ACCA's website for the cost of registrations, yearly subscription and exam fees or contact ACCA Nigeria. Bear in mind your lecture fees if you intend to use a study centre. I studied at Synergy Associates in Iponri, Lagos.
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 9:16pm On Jul 22, 2013
Please guys am a graduate of computer and information science where do I start from and how do I start?am really interested thanks
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by chidike(m): 11:31pm On Jul 22, 2013
Hey guys! So I've read through the entire thread but I have a question. I am a graduate of estate management and I did principles of account as a borrowed course during my first year in the university. I've also done land taxation, micro and macro economics, statistics , property rating and valuation. I really just want to know if I will get any format of exemption? Thanks
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by shex202(m): 10:37pm On Jul 25, 2013
hello landers, i want to register as a member and write the dec diet of d ACCA programe. but am a little confused about the yearly subscription. will i b required to pay the yearly subscription in the year of registration? pls i need an answer ASAP. Thanks
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 9:01pm On Jul 27, 2013
your reg fee is d sam as d subcriptn fee if u intend to write Dec. But if it is june diet then u will pay for both seprately
shex202: hello landers, i want to register as a member and write the dec diet of d ACCA programe. but am a little confused about the yearly subscription. will i b required to pay the yearly subscription in the year of registration? pls i need an answer ASAP. Thanks
your reg fee is d sam as d subcriptn fee if u intend to write Dec. But if it is june diet then u will pay for both seprately
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by shex202(m): 9:23am On Jul 28, 2013
aiyee4real: your reg fee is d sam as d subcriptn fee if u intend to write Dec. But if it is june diet then u will pay for both seprately your reg fee is d sam as d subcriptn fee if u intend to write Dec. But if it is june diet then u will pay for both seprately
Tnx man.
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by Serendipity: 11:06pm On Jul 28, 2013
Please like how long will either of he two exams take an OND student?

Again, can an OND holder in Banking and FInance be exempted from some courses?
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by shex202(m): 6:56am On Aug 01, 2013
Hello Landers, Am trying to start my application as a student member on the ACCA website and the first question i was asked was to confirm the course i am applying for. which should i go for? is it ACCA qualification or Foundations in Accountancy suite of qualifications. Although i hv my Bsc. in Accounting and wish to apply for exemption during refistration....... pls i need an ansa ASAP. thnx for you cooperation.
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by cooa(f): 1:59pm On Aug 02, 2013
Hello Niaralanders,

we cannot say ACCA is better than ICAN. ICAN is a national exam (like ICAEW), while ACCA is a global thing. The advantage of ACCA over ICAN (in Nigeria) is that
(1) It is more prestigious
(2) the flexibility of being able to do less than 4 papers at a go - so you can prepare at your own pace, & pay for what you can afford.

Most Graduates, will be exempted from 1 or more papers at the introductory level (check the ACCA site).

Quite a number of my friends are starting ACCA exams, and find the registration & exams daunting, so I started a blog for them: countingonaccounting. its for help/tips, some tuition, and to prevent them from some of the mistakes I made when doing my ACCA exams
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by ritze(m): 2:56pm On Aug 05, 2013
Serendipity: Please like how long will either of he two exams take an OND student?

Again, can an OND holder in Banking and FInance be exempted from some courses?

I doubt if you will get any
Are you above 21yr?
I advice you explore the matured entry route cos with your OND you qualify for CAT "I think"
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by cooa(f): 11:36am On Aug 06, 2013
ritze:

I doubt if you will get any
Are you above 21yr?
I advice you explore the matured entry route cos with your OND you qualify for CAT "I think"

Serendipity - I reckon you'll be exempted from some courses, but the best thing to do is to go on the ACCA site, and ask.
I went the CAT route, and was exempted from F1-F3; but before you decide on doing the CAT, I strongly advise you check with ACCA, you may be exempted from some of the introductory papers.

As for how ling it will take you, it really depends on how quickly you go through the exams. I did my CAT in 1.5 years, without failing any, and I studied alone without lectures. I'm also an ACA now grin
A lot of my friends are starting their ACCA exams, and i'm amazed at how people misinform them, and try to rip them off, in the name of tuition/expert advise/study materials, so I started a blog for ACCA students in Nigeria - countingonaccounting.[size=10pt][/size]
Please join us, there, ask questions, get free study tips and information
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by Mustay(m): 3:02pm On Aug 06, 2013
^^He won't be exempt from any CAT paper. He will take all CAT papers from 1 - 9. True, one and a half years is feasible. If you're serious it's better that way, a lot seem to think F1 - F3 is the easiest and fastest route. Apparently, it's structured that way but in reality, some spend 3 years taking the fundamentals. The CAT helps in giving you a solid foundation for a start and by the time one transfers to skills stage, you're experienced in ACCA exams.

Default CAT strategy - 4-4-2 papers. If you fail along the line,.combine and it may become 3-3-3 cool
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by beckycute1: 4:34pm On Oct 08, 2013
noblemichael: We print and supply of ICAN study materials (study packs and updated past questions) to ICAN study centres in Nigeria, this is due to the difficulty being faced by students in reading the softcopies of these books on the computer, most people want it in hardcopy.
These materials have been neatly printed and binded for convenience when reading, call anytime to place your order and it will be delivered to you promptly. I look forward to getting a positive response from you. Below is a pricelist of the study materials.
Thank you.
noblemichael4real@gmail.com
No. 7, Oba Adebimpe road, Dutum shopping complex, Dugbe, Ibadan.
PRICELIST
ATSWA
Basic accounting process and system N780
Business law N570
Communication skill N580
Economics N760
Pilot question and answer N200
Information Technology N550
Quantitative analysis N730
Public sector accounting N740
Costing and quantitative techniques N1,000
Cost Accounting N880
Management N650
Preparing tax computation and returns N610
Principles of auditing N750
A.T.S 1 Exam past questions till date
A.T.S 2 Exam past questions till date
A.T.S 3 Exam past questions till date
Professional Examinations
Audit and assurance N740
Business communication & research methodology N780
Fundamentals of financial accounting N800
Information technology N900
Management accounting N930
Advanced audit and assurance N780
Financial accounting N1,000
Advanced taxation N920
Financial reporting and ethics N670
Public sector accounting and finance N830
Strategic financial management N870
Tax N670

Do you have corporate and biz law for foundation study pack and passtquestion?
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by SarahD(f): 9:48am On Oct 15, 2013
Hello house, pls your sincere advice. What stage of the ICAN exam will a B.Sc(Ed) graduate in Economics start from.
Thanks.
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by cooa(f): 3:09pm On Oct 16, 2013
Hi Nairalanders,
For Shex202: you want the ACCA qualification, not foundation. If you have a Bsc (I'm assuming its in a related field of study, because of exemptions).
The foundation course is for those who have no prior knowledge of accounting and want to build-up knowledge. Either way, the papers in the foundation course builds up to having the ACCA qualification if you continue.

prizes available for aspiring accountants here:
http://countingonaccounting./2013/10/16/take-a-break-win-a-prize/
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by kingmayah: 1:16pm On Oct 25, 2013
SarahD: Hello house, pls your sincere advice. What stage of the ICAN exam will a B.Sc(Ed) graduate in Economics start from.
Thanks.
FOUNDATION STAGE.
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by bettylind: 9:42pm On Jun 29, 2014
ACCA is much more superior than ICAN, and is easier
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by Dereformer(m): 9:25am On Jun 30, 2014
bettylind: ACCA is much more superior than ICAN, and is easier

I disagree with you on this. ACCA is not easier than ICAN.

I know a guy who did ACCA for some time and couldn't make it. He switched over to ICAN
and finished it in record time.

For the superiority part, I agree with you.

My advice for ACA holders ( particularly those who qualified before May 2014) is to do ACCA dip(IFR).

I see ACA holders doing full ACCA as waste of money and time especially if age is no longer on your side.
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by Greycells(m): 5:18pm On Jun 30, 2014
Nigeria: Accountants' Institute Slashes Fee by 30 Percent
By Amina Alhassan, 23 June 2014

The Chartered Institute of Management Accountants has launched an offer of 30% off its registration fee. Also, the capped exemption fee rate of £165 (N43, 560) that applied to South Africa has now been extended to all African graduates across sub-Saharan Africa, the institute said in a statement.

The CIMA Country Manager Ijeoma Anadozie said: "We recognise that with weakening currencies our potential students are finding it harder to afford a quality global professional qualification; our mission as an organisation is to help people and businesses succeed and we see this as the way to make CIMA more accessible to a greater number of business and professionals".

She said the exemption fees could become a costly exercise especially for those graduates of accounting or finance who qualified for the maximum number adding "A per exemption fee was no longer viable in the long-term. This innovation across our region will really make it possible for a greater number of finance and accounting professionals to pursue our unique and globally recognised Chartered Global Management Accountant (CGMA) designation."
http://allafrica.com/stories/201406232169.html

Now what about CIMA?
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by Kossyne(m): 3:11pm On Jul 02, 2014
lobatan!
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by Kossyne(m): 3:18pm On Jul 02, 2014
Pls where do a graduate with B.Sc in Accountancy and an Associate Accounting Technician(AAT) start from if he wants to enroll for ACCA?.. Which papers am I going to be exempted from if I decide to use my AATWA certification or my B.Sc.?..pls I need full details..I ve been going through ACCA website for quite sometime now. Can't seem to find useful information.
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by ayorindett: 3:32pm On Jul 06, 2014
Stream one ACCA lectures for December 2014 diet exams start on Saturday, 19 July 2014. Be part of our success stories – become a global Chartered Certified Accountant. Enquiries: iclass Tuition 31, Awolowo Avenue, old Bodija, Ibadan.
Tell: 08033851555,07034586186,08025316212.
Email: iclasstuition@yahoo.com

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

What Is The Average Salary Of A Nigerian Soldier? / Logistics Or Supply Chain Management / Salary Of Fresh Graduate Level 8 At Nigerian Communications Commission - NCC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.