Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,713 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:34 PM

ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? (151557 Views)

Acca or Ican / Acca Or Ican Which Should I Go For? Pls Advice / Accountants: ACCA, ICMA Or ICAN. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by MikelX(m): 5:34pm On Nov 11, 2007
I don't mean to deviate from the subject, but wat do u guys think about CIMA?
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by tolun2s(m): 12:23pm On Dec 02, 2007
the benefit of acca can be over emphazied,and it surpass dat of ican,
1)acca is easier
2)u will have a degree upon completion
3)international recognized

my advice:if u ve money enroll wit lcu(london college of accountancy)the fee is 3400pounds and if u want to further by going for masters.u just pay additional 2200pounds instead of 6400pounds for masters.
cheers

1 Like

Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by sharpman1(m): 10:55am On Dec 05, 2007
tolun2s:

the benefit of acca can be over emphazied,and it surpass that of ican,
1)acca is easier
2)u will have a degree upon completion
3)international recognized

my advice:if u ve money enroll wit lcu(london college of accountancy)the fee is 3400pounds and if u want to further by going for masters.u just pay additional 2200pounds instead of 6400pounds for masters.
cheers

Do not be decieved.

ACCA is NOT easier than ICAN.

if you want to write ACCA because you think it is easy please don't bother. You will simply waste your hard earned Pounds Sterling.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by Pepeye(f): 11:16am On Dec 05, 2007
Do not be decieved.

ACCA is NOT easier than ICAN.

if you want to write ACCA because you think it is easy please don't bother. You will simply waste your hard earned Pounds Sterling.
[quote][/quote]

ACCA is said to be easier in terms that there re more materials to study and past questions are available while that of ICAN; is not even recognized internationally
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by topgirl: 3:11pm On Dec 05, 2007
ACCA is better anytime.
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by adetona86: 1:40pm On Dec 11, 2007
hi all

am a fresh graduate of D polytechnic Ibadan, OND holder in accountancy.

i would like to know wat and wat will i be exempted from.

CHEERS
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by adetona86: 1:40pm On Dec 11, 2007
hi all

am a fresh graduate of D polytechnic Ibadan, OND holder in accountancy.

i would like to know wat and wat will i be exempted from.

CHEERS
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by victor4u(m): 9:15am On Dec 13, 2007
@ adetona86
Exceptions is only determined by ACCA upon submission of ur transcript, bt I doubt if u wil recieve any exemptions as an OND holder

@ all

The deadline to register and submission of ur document to acca for June Exam is DEC 31ST, so hurry b4 its 2 late.
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by napa: 1:48pm On Dec 15, 2007
I am a registered ACCA student and i feel it is more beneficial than ICAN because ACCA is a global thing and with it you have greater access to high nnetwork jobs locally and internationally. Also you can become an automatic ICAN member at the complrtion of your ACCA. The choice is yours, choose wisely.

1 Like

Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by SamsonFal: 9:00pm On Dec 16, 2007
Is there anybody who know about ACCA scholarship
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by folahann(m): 1:15am On Dec 17, 2007
My friends made me to know ACCA is very difficult though in Ghana

1 Like

Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by banis: 7:13pm On Dec 17, 2007
acca and ican are both good but u are restrictd to nigeria with ican but with acca u are qualified to work in any country where it is accepted.yes i agree that ican is ours and we should appreciate what we have but what do u say to the way ican also treats people with acca.u automatically qualify for an ican cerfificate without even sitting for one exam.so if am the one i will go for acca.
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by SamsonFal: 9:31pm On Dec 18, 2007
Samson Fal:

Is there anybody who know about ACCA scholarship
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by hispy99(m): 12:55pm On Dec 19, 2007
No contest, ACCA is better and I qualified as a chartered accountant (ICAN) 8 years ago. In fact, if you have ACCA, you can also get ACA (ICAN) by going through an induction course organized by ICAN once a year. So you can kill 2 birds with one stone grin
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by Mustay(m): 11:08am On Jun 17, 2008
ICAN, ACCA sign MoU on mutual cooperation

09 June, 2008 02:00:00 CHIDI NDUKA AJA

The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN) and the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) have signed a Memorandum of Understanding on mutual cooperation, which is sequel to the agreement reached in February this year. The two bodies had agreed when Gillian Ball, the Global President of ACCA, visited Nigeria, the terms of reference of the Bilateral Committee as well as resolved to collaborate on a number of areas to develop the accountancy profession.
The MoU provides for the establishment of mutual cooperation between the two institutions, both members of the International Federation of Accountants, IFAC; and also agrees that the Bilateral Committee, established in Istanbul, Turkey November 14, 2006, shall continue to meet twice a year.

By the terms of the MoU, both ICAN and ACCA have agreed to collaborate in further developing and promoting the accountancy profession; identify ways in which they can work together to support their respective members in Nigeria and UK; strengthen regular communication links between both bodies; determine a road-map towards achieving a long-term mutually beneficial partnership between them; as well as review and, where appropriate, work together to address common issues in the national, regional and international accountancy profession.

In another development, the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN), Tuesday in Lagos, elected Richard Uchechukwu Uche as its 44th president. He succeeds Abiodun Babington-Ashaye.
In his acceptance speech, Uche said there are tremors shaking the foundation of the accountancy profession which pose serious threat to the profession, making visioning imperative for future success.

He stated that the profession’s core values which include integrity, objectivity, competence, attunement to broad business issues, continuing education and lifelong learning would change in the future in response to changing global and economic demands.

He observed that the future chartered accountant must now be a repository of such s skills as communication and leadership skills, strategic and critical thinking skills, focus on the customer, client and market, interpretation of converging information as well as technological adeptness.

The new president said profound changes are occurring globally in the accountancy profession driven in the main by the advancement in information technology and globalisation, and lamented that accountants are going through identity crisis as advancement in IT impacts on the profession’s age-long practices and mode of service delivery.

He assured that the action plan of his administration for the accountancy profession in Nigeria would be one that is able to respond proactively to the dynamics in the environment and remain the pivot of all productive economic activities.

"Rather than be at the receiving end, the accountancy profession should and must drive the evolving but inevitable change process in the public interest," he said.

He gave as his the thrust of his administration’s mission over the next 12 months as defence of the ICAN Act, strengthening of faculties, creation of research and technical directorate, professional practice monitoring, restructuring of the mandatory continuing professional education programme, review of syllabus and training curriculum, building partnership with tertiary institutions, improvement of library facilities, and computerisation of the institute’s operations.

1 Like

Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by asamuel: 8:19pm On Jun 25, 2008
Hi all,

Do not be decieved by whatever agreement ICAN enters into with ACCA. No agreement can make ICAN qualification acceptable internationally because it is a local body. I wrote ICAN up to Intermediate level before I dumped it for ACCA because I realized it would not equip me to perform at a global level. Currently, I am at the Professional Stage of ACCA. I started from Foundation without exception because I read Economics in my Undergraduate in Nigeria.

I am currently in the US doing my MBA and also sitting for my ACCA. Wherever you are in the world, you can sit for the ACCA exam and get job with it. Like people have said, ACCA is harder than ICAN but made easier because you have more than enough resources to aid you, although with cost. Moreso, ACCA equips you to practice globally.

ICAN is seeking for agreement because they recognize that ACCA would soon outperform them in their own country. If you have the money and you are prepared to study hard and perform seamlessly in any country of your choice, please go for ACCA.

Thanks,
Samuel.
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by yinkaoke(f): 10:41am On Jun 26, 2008
VICTOR4U please I have OND, AAT and am above 21
where will I start from and how do I no the papers I will be exempted from writing please
And I also heard that if you do not start from the scrach you will not be awarded Bsc applied accounting
how trye is it
Thanks
hoping to hear from u soon
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by marosky(m): 1:11pm On Jun 26, 2008
asamuel:

Hi all,

Do not be decieved by whatever agreement ICAN enters into with ACCA. No agreement can make ICAN qualification acceptable internationally because it is a local body. I wrote ICAN up to Intermediate level before I dumped it for ACCA because I realized it would not equip me to perform at a global level. Currently, I am at the Professional Stage of ACCA. I started from Foundation without exception because I read Economics in my Undergraduate in Nigeria.

I am currently in the US doing my MBA and also sitting for my ACCA. Wherever you are in the world, you can sit for the ACCA exam and get job with it. Like people have said, ACCA is harder than ICAN but made easier because you have more than enough resources to aid you, although with cost. Moreso, ACCA equips you to practice globally.

ICAN is seeking for agreement because they recognize that ACCA would soon outperform them in their own country. If you have the money and you are prepared to study hard and perform seamlessly in any country of your choice, please go for ACCA.

Thanks,
Samuel.

For the fact that you could not pass the old Intermediate exams of ICAN ,does not give you the license to say rubbish here.I have friends in the U.S. working with their ICAN certificate.It is true that ACCA is more accepted than ICAN globally.However,ICAN is internationally recognized.
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by asamuel: 5:53pm On Jun 26, 2008
I hear you! If I could not pass ICAN intermediate, how come I am doing ACCA? I know many ICAN students who have attempted ACCA and failed. The question is not who pass what but what is recognized globally. If you say ICAN is recognized internationally, go to UK or come to US and work with it. YOur friend may be using his ICAN to do a clerical work here in the US, which he could still do without ICAN if he has basic accounting knowledge. Ignorant man, I am sure you have not crossed the borders of Nigeria let alone knowing what international recognition translates to.

If you intend to look outside your village, better be thinking of ACCA. If you like I could introduce you to some centers in Nigeria for your brain to be thororughly purged for international fitness.

I pity you. Please stop misleading young ones who have good careers to pursue.
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by marosky(m): 9:41am On Jun 27, 2008
asamuel:

I hear you! If I could not pass ICAN intermediate, how come I am doing ACCA? I know many ICAN students who have attempted ACCA and failed. The question is not who pass what but what is recognized globally. If you say ICAN is recognized internationally, go to UK or come to US and work with it. YOur friend may be using his ICAN to do a clerical work here in the US, which he could still do without ICAN if he has basic accounting knowledge. Ignorant man, I am sure you have not crossed the borders of Nigeria let alone knowing what international recognition translates to.

If you intend to look outside your village, better be thinking of ACCA. If you like I could introduce you to some centers in Nigeria for your brain to be thororughly purged for international fitness.

I pity you. Please stop misleading young ones who have good careers to pursue.

I dont have time to waste.You sound FRUSTRATED.
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by marosky(m): 9:43am On Jun 27, 2008
No one is saying that ACCA is not better.The truth still remains that I have friends doing very good jobs in the U.S. with ICAN.
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by Mustay(m): 10:04am On Jun 27, 2008
asamuel:

Hi all,

We keep complaining that Nigeria is this and that yet every step to make the country better is condemnde by her citizens.

Do you think most students have the money to write the ACCA exam?

ACCA started as a local body some 100 years ago before going international, so we can always start from somewhere. As much as ACCA seems to be better, most students in Pakistan feel their local acoountancy exam is better thatn ACCA.

If you don't have the money to write ACCA, you can write ICAN. I commend ICAN for the step. Moreover ACCA doesn't cater for the peculiarity of lawws of each nation, so what happens if we have no ICAN?

Yinka visit accaglobal.com for info. cool
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by marosky(m): 11:42am On Jun 27, 2008
tell them o
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by asamuel: 2:06pm On Jun 27, 2008
Well, I don't have so much saliva to waste here. I'm glad you have agreed that ACCA is much better. I only made the point that if anybody is looking beyond Nigeria, he should think ACCA. I pray that ICAN would develop and be internationally recognized. But it is not yet so. I believe this is a forum for career advise and those who sincerely seek information should not be misled.

If you intend to stay in Nigeria all your life, of course you don't need ACCA. ICAN is cheaper as you all said. But if you are looking beyond Nigeria as I was, please don't waste your money on ICAN. I did and regretted it.

Good luck!
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by Mustay(m): 2:21pm On Jun 27, 2008
Now you're talking.
asamuel:

If you intend to stay in Nigeria all your life, of course you don't need ACCA.
If you intend to stay in Nigeria all your life, you need ACCA too please. i don't see any exam being categorised for these set of people or . . . Afterall, some people don't like being treated as a 2nd class citzen in a country
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by Mustay(m): 2:50pm On Jun 27, 2008
Infact is like this writer read my mind. My problem with ICAN is why they concern themselves with 'other' issues:

What does ICAN want?
By Chris Enyinnaya
Published: Friday, 27 Jun 2008

The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria is in the news again. This time around, it is not fighting ANAN, but it has so much energy that it an afford to fight other professional bodies duly licensed to promote, regulate and advance knowledge in taxation, management and information technology.
Skip to next paragraph
click to expand image
Photo file

ICAN President, Prince Adebajo

ICAN Act of 1965 empowers the professional body to regulate the practice of accountancy in Nigeria, which, in the main, embraces accountancy and audit. ICAN operated as a monopoly institution and an emperor until 1992 when the Association of National Accountants of Nigeria was granted charter status by the departing General Ibrahim Babangida.

ICAN went to court seeking to de-register ANAN by claiming monopoly to regulate and train accounting professionals. It lost.

ICAN members went ahead to promote the establishment of Chartered Institute of Taxation of Nigeria. Because the ICAN clique are old men who qualified through articleship, they did not appreciate the full implication of granting CITN a charter status on the regulating and training of tax practitioners.

When they woke up from slumber, ICAN started fighting CITN. They even sanctioned their members who retained membership of ICAN and CITN. At the end of the day, ICAN lost in the court against CITN.

ICAN members have now regrouped and are sponsoring a bill to expand the scope of accountancy practice to include taxation, management practice and information technology.

That brings us to the question, What does ICAN want?

In a typical business faculty, the subject Business Admin-istration is fragmented into accountancy, business manage-ment, marketing, banking and finance, insurance and actuarial science. The only common thing among these fields of learning is accountancy –– financial, cost and management accounting. Why is it so? Accounting is the language of business, just as Mathematics is the language of engineering. To that extent, a mathematician is not an engineer, and so an accountant is not an expert in management, marketing, finance, banking, insurance and actuarial science. That is why government, in its wisdom, granted charter status to all these bodies of knowledge to practice their profession.

Due to greed, practising ICAN members want to practice everything business, whereas their core area is audit and accountancy. Before the advent of the registration of Chartered Institute of Secretaries and Administrators, accounting firms hired ACIS holders as employees to handle secretarial duties on the accounts they audit. They also hired members of the Institute of Taxation ATII as employees to handle tax computations.

It took crack professionals like lawyers to break the monopoly of ICAN as insolvency practitioners and receivers/managers of companies in liquidation. ICAN, in its arrogance, vehemently opposed the appointment of lawyers to countersign audited accounts during the mid ’80s.

Indeed, ICAN can be said to be a predator. It invaded the banking industry and dominated it for more than two decades, so much so that banks preferred to hire ACA rather than ACIB holders. In fact, ACIB became a persona non grata in an industry whose members it is licensed to train and regulate.

To say the least, ICAN is a very ambitious professional body. During the tenure of Mrs. Adenike Adeniran as ICAN president, in one of their many accounting fora, she said, “We are training accountants to be everything to every business.” Ironically, Mrs. Adeniran is a trained stockbroker. Indeed, she and Mrs. Pat Nwobodo were the first female stockbrokers in Nigeria.

The question is, why did she train as a stockbroker if she is an apostle of accountants being everything to every business?

The worst part of this whole thing is that ICAN is not telling the Nigerian Senate the whole truth. ICAN says it wants to regulate the practice of accountancy with respect to tax practice as it is elsewhere in the world. But in Britain, chartered accountants do not freely engage in tax practice. Only ATIIs practise tax. However, a chartered accountant can, and is allowed to, defend tax computation before the Inland Revenue office on the accounts he audited. No more, no less. To that extent, ICAN can have a bit of the action through that convention.

It is very dangerous to amend ICAN Act to include the practise of Tax. ICAN will abuse it by veering into full tax practice, which only CITN members by current regulations are empowered to do by virtue of the CITN Act 1992.

The Senate of the Federal Republic of Nigeria is urged to throw the ICAN amendment bill into the thrash can where it rightly belongs. Any ICAN member who wants to practice tax should write CITN exams. Any ICAN member that wants to engage in management consulting should become a member of the appropriate professional body, and so on and so forth.

ICAN will only be institutionalising laziness and creating quacks out of its professionals if it does not retrace its steps of expanding the scope of accounting practice, the application for which is now before the Senate.

We are now in an era of specialisation. Is the Senate president listening?

Enyinnaya wrote from 10, Sogunle Street, Abule Onigbagbo, Off Bank Anthony Way, lkeja, Lagos.

http://punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200806270565790

Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by asamuel: 5:35pm On Jun 27, 2008
O oh! You see what we are saying? Instead of them to concentrate and develop their professional body to world standards, they keep on fighting ANAN, Institute of Taxation, etc. It is the market that determines the quality of a body, especially through the performance of its members. Well, you guys have said it's our own, and we should continue to protect it, even if it is inefficient.
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by Mustay(m): 12:06pm On Jun 28, 2008
one prays they get their acts right
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by uchetobi(f): 5:05pm On Jun 30, 2008
asamuel:

Hi all,

Thanks,
Samuel.

Well until you qualify and get a job with your "ACCA" degree over there, then you will be in a position to talk, i have two friends with their ACCA and 2.1 from kent, they searched UK tire for job, i dont think ACCA confers upon you a specified advantage, the global job everyone is shouting self!!!!!!!!!!is it easy to get, ?abeg!!!!!!!!!!
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by asamuel: 7:49pm On Jun 30, 2008
Sorry dear,

I'm already working with my ACCA even before I finish it. That's the difference between ACCA and ICAN.

Please think well.
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by uchetobi(f): 10:27am On Jul 01, 2008
asamuel:

Sorry dear,

I'm already working with my ACCA even before I finish it. That's the difference between ACCA and ICAN.

Please think well.

yea right, and those working@ KPMG and Pwc in Nigeria here are not working with their ICAN before they qualify
Re: ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? by asamuel: 2:50pm On Jul 01, 2008
Companies know the worth of ACCA. So, if you can pass some papers well, you can get a job while you continue the rest of your papers. In the US here, companies even pay for your ACCA exams. That's my point dear.

Do rethink before it is too late!!! grin cheesy

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Logistics Or Supply Chain Management / Salary Of Fresh Graduate Level 8 At Nigerian Communications Commission - NCC / What Nigerian Banks Pay Their Workers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.