Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,563 members, 7,816,374 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:21 AM

White Lady And Black Man Who Dated Secretly In College Reunited 42years Later - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / White Lady And Black Man Who Dated Secretly In College Reunited 42years Later (73421 Views)

"I’m Grateful I Never Left Him" – Says A Lady Who Dated A Poor Guy Now Rich / Pre-Wedding Photos Of Couple Who Dated For 11 Years / White Lady Sends iPhone & Apple MacBook To A Nigerian Guy She Met On Facebook (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

White Lady And Black Man Who Dated Secretly In College Reunited 42years Later by Explorers(m): 6:23am On Oct 08, 2021
Jeannie Gustavson, 68, and Steve Watts, 71, dated secretly for seven years in the 70s during College days.

They broke up 42 years ago as her family didn't approve of interracial dating.

A mixed-race couple who were college sweethearts and dated each other secretly in the 1970s have recently reunited and discovered they are 'still in love'.

Jeannie Gustavson and Steve Watts met as students at Loyola University in Chicago when she was a freshman, aged 18, and he was a senior, aged 21, and they soon started dating.

However, he was black and she was white and her family disapproved of interracial dating, meaning they had to conduct their relationship in secret for seven years.

Despite ultimately breaking up forty-two years ago, Jeannie, now 68, always regret the decision to end the relationship and has never forgotten about Steve.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10064011/White-woman-secretly-dated-black-man-seven-years-1970s-reunited-42-years-later.html?ito=social-facebook

47 Likes 5 Shares

Re: White Lady And Black Man Who Dated Secretly In College Reunited 42years Later by Explorers(m): 6:24am On Oct 08, 2021
Jeannie recalls how her college boyfriend Steve, now 71, was 6ft 4in tall and was 'handsome, extremely intelligent, witty and quite charming with a killer smile'.

However, as a mixed-race couple in the 1970s, she explained that times were 'turbulent' and her family was 'not understanding or tolerant' of their relationship.

'I was very hurt and very baffled by what my family did and said,' Jeannie said.

'We had to keep our relationship a secret.'

Jeannie graduated in 1975 and became a nurse and Steve studied a master's degree in education and became a German teacher.

But, after nearly eight years together, Jeannie ended the relationship over the phone due to the building pressures of family, work, distance and conflicting schedules and has regretted the decision for the rest of her life.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10064011/White-woman-secretly-dated-black-man-seven-years-1970s-reunited-42-years-later.html?ito=social-facebook

18 Likes 6 Shares

Re: White Lady And Black Man Who Dated Secretly In College Reunited 42years Later by Explorers(m): 6:26am On Oct 08, 2021
The former college sweethearts never spoke or saw each other again, and Jeannie since married someone else, then divorced, but said as the years went by she never forgot about Steve.

Late last year, Jeannie began searching for him online, hoping for a second chance or to apologize for breaking up with him.

She wrote recently: 'Forty two years later, retired, with a computer and nothing but time on my hands, could I find him? Could I apologize? Could we be friends?'

Her efforts to track him down seemed futile for seven months, until she made contact with his niece who told her Steve was in a nursing home in Chicago and gave her the address.

26 Likes 7 Shares

Re: White Lady And Black Man Who Dated Secretly In College Reunited 42years Later by potent5(m): 6:26am On Oct 08, 2021
That is what you get from this harsh world and its people.

51 Likes 2 Shares

Re: White Lady And Black Man Who Dated Secretly In College Reunited 42years Later by Explorers(m): 6:27am On Oct 08, 2021
Jeannie wrote to him twice but didn't get response.

Eventually she showed up at the care home facility this summer with their graduation photo in her hand and butterflies in her stomach.

She recalled their reunion, writing: 'The minute he rolled into the visiting room and uttered the sweet nickname he gave me, forty two years melted away.

'He and I were 18 and 21 again.

We cried, we laughed, we held each other and most wonderfully we realized we were still in love.'

Steve had suffered two strokes 15 years ago, leaving him debilitated and Jeannie was his first visitor in ten years.

'I knew at that moment that he still loved me, and this time it was going to be forever.

I just knew it,' .

With the help of a GoFundMe page, and using the rest of her savings, Jeannie has managed to bring Steve out of the nursing home to her home in Portland, Oregan, where she is now his carer.

Although Steve finds it difficult to speak, he can still make Jeannie laugh and they have forgiven each other for the past and rekindled their long-lost love.

She said: 'I did a very stupid thing 42 years ago and I've regretted it ever since. And all I can do now is love him as best I can and see to it that he's happy and give him the quality of life that he really deserves and he's missed all these years.'

60 Likes 7 Shares

Re: White Lady And Black Man Who Dated Secretly In College Reunited 42years Later by Sonnobax15(m): 6:28am On Oct 08, 2021
lipsrsealed
Eyahhhhh,na this kind genuine love I dey find with both torch and candle for day time tongue

May thunder never forget to fire any Person wey say true love no dey exist......

Well,maybe the thunder should be considerate cha, because truly truly true love don die tay tay for this part of our world lipsrsealed

153 Likes 7 Shares

Re: White Lady And Black Man Who Dated Secretly In College Reunited 42years Later by Nobody: 6:29am On Oct 08, 2021
Imagine! The horror of discrimination.
Sad tale of two young bloods who should have enjoyed the better part of their lives together, when they were still young and bouncing, but their sweet bond of love was severed by the color of their skins.
What benefit are they to one another, now that their lives are almost expired?
Although son of men say, half cake is better than non. But some half cake can make you shed tears, when you know what the full cake could have looked like. Can we even call this half cake or one quarter cake?
When I scrolled up again to compare the pictures, when they were both young, fresh and looking all smart to now when they're aged, it's such a sad sight, I must say.

Back then, no sane white parents would approve their white daughter dating a Negro. No!
Funny enough this black guy is redbone, not black as such, could be mistaken for white. Yet back then, Black is Black; as long as you're not White, you're Black.

Peak of discrimination and racism.
Black race has come a long way. Gone through a lot of shiit to be where it is today.
Days when you'll have to wait and bow for White to pass on the road before you pass. Days when as a Black, you can't enter the same Bar with Whites.

When I remember the sacrifices of people like Martin Luther Jr., Malcom X, Vivien Thomas, Carl Brashear etc. how they used their lives as ransom for Black freedom, I shake my head for what Blacks are today.

Shame on Blacks. You see these Black Americans with no sense or any memory left, of where they've come from in history.

All they do is lazy around, steal, loot shops, go to gym, eat, smoke, sag, put tattoo on their bodies, wear big chains, rings and oversize cloths; flaunt dollar and expensive possessions, showoff, intimidate others, play all day, speak wrong English, go to party, do gangsterism, listen to hip hop music and above it all sex, sex and sex. No Iota of sense. Black will always be black, whether African or Black American.

150 Likes 17 Shares

Re: White Lady And Black Man Who Dated Secretly In College Reunited 42years Later by AutoChick4U(f): 6:33am On Oct 08, 2021
I need handkerchief pls, God punish anyone who says True love does not exist.

You haven't found it or unable to give it does not mean it does not exist..... Lord let this kinda genuine love locate me ijn

64 Likes

Re: White Lady And Black Man Who Dated Secretly In College Reunited 42years Later by brosom(m): 6:33am On Oct 08, 2021
Beautiful..! The definition of soul mate.

Love can be found anywhere in the world irrespective of culture, race and colour.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: White Lady And Black Man Who Dated Secretly In College Reunited 42years Later by Angrygoat: 6:34am On Oct 08, 2021
Heya,3 of my ex are still beggingnme but I don't want. When I loved and fuc ke d them good till dawn,they took me for a fool. I dont give 2nd chances ,not me

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: White Lady And Black Man Who Dated Secretly In College Reunited 42years Later by DaddyRochie1642: 6:34am On Oct 08, 2021
Black men are known for the BBC the carry around their waist.. she should stylishly check if his own is still functioning.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: White Lady And Black Man Who Dated Secretly In College Reunited 42years Later by Sonnobax15(m): 6:38am On Oct 08, 2021
AutoChick4U:

You haven't found it or unable to give it does not mean it does not exist..... Lord let this kinda genuine love locate me ijn
Will you cherish it?

37 Likes

Re: White Lady And Black Man Who Dated Secretly In College Reunited 42years Later by tillaman(m): 6:39am On Oct 08, 2021
Someone is cutting onions or something embarassed embarassed

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: White Lady And Black Man Who Dated Secretly In College Reunited 42years Later by Nobody: 6:40am On Oct 08, 2021
Angrygoat:
Heya,3 of my ex are still beggingnme but I don't want. When I loved and fuc ke d them good till dawn,they took me for a fool. I dont give 2nd chances ,not me

What is this one feeling like? Ode!

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: White Lady And Black Man Who Dated Secretly In College Reunited 42years Later by AutoChick4U(f): 6:41am On Oct 08, 2021
Sonnobax15:
Will you cherish it?
Definitely
Re: White Lady And Black Man Who Dated Secretly In College Reunited 42years Later by Sonnobax15(m): 6:44am On Oct 08, 2021
AutoChick4U:
Definitely
cool ok, that's good.....But hope you've submitted your case file before God because he's the alpha and omega cool

9 Likes

Re: White Lady And Black Man Who Dated Secretly In College Reunited 42years Later by Angrygoat: 6:44am On Oct 08, 2021
Stop hating foo l. Gimme ya gal,I will fuc k the living daylight out of her,give her funds and drop her off. She would be bugging my nos 24/7. Hahahaha
mikezuruki:

What is this one feeling like? Ode!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: White Lady And Black Man Who Dated Secretly In College Reunited 42years Later by benuejosh: 6:52am On Oct 08, 2021
Wow! So beautiful.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: White Lady And Black Man Who Dated Secretly In College Reunited 42years Later by BabbanBura(m): 6:53am On Oct 08, 2021
AutoChick4U:

How is it a genuine love that can not withstand parents to stick with the person you love?

4 Likes

Re: White Lady And Black Man Who Dated Secretly In College Reunited 42years Later by AutoChick4U(f): 6:55am On Oct 08, 2021
BabbanBura:

How is it a genuine love that can not withstand parents to stuck with the person you love?
Racism was high then though. Too bad she bowed to pressure

27 Likes

Re: White Lady And Black Man Who Dated Secretly In College Reunited 42years Later by AutoChick4U(f): 6:56am On Oct 08, 2021
Sonnobax15:
cool ok, that's good.....But hope you've submitted your case file before God because he's the alpha and omega cool
Submitted it to Eros
Re: White Lady And Black Man Who Dated Secretly In College Reunited 42years Later by Ikillbrokehoes(m): 7:05am On Oct 08, 2021
Wow! this is really amazing

1 Like

Re: White Lady And Black Man Who Dated Secretly In College Reunited 42years Later by ahmthankgod(m): 7:08am On Oct 08, 2021
Angrygoat:
Og Lyness...

2 Likes

Re: White Lady And Black Man Who Dated Secretly In College Reunited 42years Later by Blessing185(f): 7:10am On Oct 08, 2021
Angrygoat:
ma nigga..

13 Likes

Re: White Lady And Black Man Who Dated Secretly In College Reunited 42years Later by iamyemiakins(m): 7:21am On Oct 08, 2021
This is the song that came to my mind after reading the post

This kind ting I never see o
My pressure dey high got me down wo-woh
My girl low down to me o
Never ever leave me for crash o-wo-woh
Girl you dey make me shiver o
Girl if you leave I suffer o
With you I get no wahala o
I wan dey with you forever

roboskehskeh roboskehskeh
If no be you then tell me who o
Dem go sempe dem go sempe
Nobody messing with my boo
Roboskehskeh roboskehskeh
If no be you then tell me who o
Roboskehskeh robo-yes-skeh
Nobody messing with my boo

Ma lo oh, Jor oh
You give me love I never see oh
Ma lo oh, Jor oh
Your love mean so much to me oh
Ma lo oh, Jor oh
You give me love I never see oh
Ma lo oh, Jor oh
Your love mean so much to me oh
Lines from Malo by Tiwa Savage ft Wizkid & Spellz

4 Likes

Re: White Lady And Black Man Who Dated Secretly In College Reunited 42years Later by Imustreturn(m): 7:22am On Oct 08, 2021
They would have made a fine couple. Make them Sha knack to bring back old memories grin

2 Likes

Re: White Lady And Black Man Who Dated Secretly In College Reunited 42years Later by iamyemiakins(m): 7:25am On Oct 08, 2021
Imustreturn:
They would have made a fine couple. Make them Sha knack to bring back old memories grin

23 Likes

Re: White Lady And Black Man Who Dated Secretly In College Reunited 42years Later by delzbaba(m): 7:26am On Oct 08, 2021
I see through the fake love, this woman would probably take a life insurance policy out on this man, and cash out when he is gone, and don't forget the go fund me money.

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: White Lady And Black Man Who Dated Secretly In College Reunited 42years Later by talk2hb1(m): 7:29am On Oct 08, 2021
Na This kind story dey make some people shed tears cry of past memories

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: White Lady And Black Man Who Dated Secretly In College Reunited 42years Later by Imustreturn(m): 7:29am On Oct 08, 2021
[quote author=iamyemiakins post=106547375][/quote] yes nah. No be harder harder oh. Just small small. Life no hard oh grin
Re: White Lady And Black Man Who Dated Secretly In College Reunited 42years Later by DenreleDave(m): 7:30am On Oct 08, 2021
grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

“23 & Still A Virgin” – Nigerian Lady Brags, Sparks Reactions Online / Photos From A Kissing Competition In Kampala, Uganda / What's The Most Outrageous Demand A Girl Has Ever Made From You On A First Date?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.