Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,519 members, 7,812,612 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:11 PM

Weddings Are Crap. A Waste Of Time - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Weddings Are Crap. A Waste Of Time (2678 Views)

This Is Why I See White Wedding As A Waste Of Time And Money In Africa. / If You Truly Love Her, Beat a crap out her if Mess up, Divorce Her if U hate her / Why Dating Younger Girls Is Purely Waste Of Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Weddings Are Crap. A Waste Of Time by LiberatedGirl: 7:37pm On Nov 26, 2021
It's 2021 and alot of people are still doing large Weddings in a day and age where Divorce has reached Epidemic Proportions. All this Brides Maids Crap and Dancing Crap. You can get married at the Registry or do a small church Wedding on Tuesday when everyone is at work. But the African is a Coward " What will people say ! " is more important than doing the sensible thing. All africans can do is Party while their mates in America are inventing things, their mates in China are manufacturing things. These days a woman looks forward to her Wedding in Africa because Marriage to most women is their Biggest Achievement in life. So Sad. Something so basic. Anyway people still throw Birthday parties as if they have just invented Fuelless Cars and are celebrating the achievement. A Birthday is a Time to reflect on your life and not a time to celebrate. What are you celebrating ? Did you plan your Birth ? Did you dig a tunnel and come out on that day ?. I am not Jehovah's Witness but the best and most meaningful Birthday parties are with just immediate family alone. It's a bit of a Circus to invite people. Anyway Africans are a highly unserious lot of people all they do is party while their peers abroad are working hard. The black man dances and parties then wonders why he is poor and his economy is in pieces.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Weddings Are Crap. A Waste Of Time by AoifeNightfall: 7:41pm On Nov 26, 2021
People will live life the way they want and how it pleases them. After all no one is forcing them to throw those parties. They are doing it because they enjoy it.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Weddings Are Crap. A Waste Of Time by Negroid001(m): 7:42pm On Nov 26, 2021
Finally Africans are awakening...

6 Likes

Re: Weddings Are Crap. A Waste Of Time by LiberatedGirl: 7:55pm On Nov 26, 2021
AoifeNightfall:
People will live life the way they want and how it pleases them. After all no one is forcing them to throw those parties. They are doing it because they enjoy it.

Not because they enjoy it but they grow up with little intelligence in a traditional backward environment. It's like walking to ibadan from Lagos and thinking you enjoy it. Look at how much Time you will waste if you walk to ibadan and back.when you can enter public transport and get to ibadan with N5,000 to and fro. Have you noticed no billionaire wears designer clothes in America ? Who is Giorgio Armani to Bill Gates ? Billionaires only care about business abroad but in Nigeria our Billionaires still have African Slave Mentality and will aquire and aquire because they cannot create they buy. When you create like Americans you stop buying. You will not understand you are a Nigerian. These mental gymnastics are beyond most African minds. Please kindly forgive me, I am not insulting you I'm just trying to tell you cannot understand now because you have not spent enough time thinking about it.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Weddings Are Crap. A Waste Of Time by LiberatedGirl: 7:59pm On Nov 26, 2021
[quote author=Negroid001 post=107988711]Finally Africans are awakening...[/quot

I hope we awaken faster we cannot renaim sub human mentally forever. When I see African weddings a part of me can understand why some people call Africans Monkeys. We should have left all this Wedding Circus Crap in 1960.

3 Likes

Re: Weddings Are Crap. A Waste Of Time by Negroid001(m): 8:14pm On Nov 26, 2021
[quote author=LiberatedGirl post=107989096][/quote] Well... You know how it is here. We show off too much.
Someone dies, party!
New born baby, party!
New car, party!

To our own detriment..

5 Likes

Re: Weddings Are Crap. A Waste Of Time by WoundedLamb: 8:16pm On Nov 26, 2021
Hhmm... You may have a point but your comments are very condescending. You won't be able to communicate your thoughts by insulting the audience, you'd only end up ranting. I don't even know why you seem so upset when you can just do your wedding the way you want and let others do thiers how they want.

That said, I think most people do the whole traditional wedding stuff just to uphold thier tradition. That's why white wedding is considered optional by many but not the traditional wedding. It's not even an African thing, Asians take thier traditional weddings seriously too. I understand if you don't see the value, but it doesn't make you any superior to those that do. We all have things we consider a big deal that others don't. If one has the resources and wants to do it, I don't see any problem with that. Harmless traditions are beautiful, they give us a sense of identity.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Weddings Are Crap. A Waste Of Time by Negroid001(m): 8:21pm On Nov 26, 2021
WoundedLamb:
Hhmm... You may have a point but your comments are very condescending. You won't be able to communicate your thoughts by insulting the audience, you'd only end up ranting. I don't even know why you seem so upset when you can just do your wedding the way you want and let others do thiers how they want.

That said, I think most people do the whole traditional wedding stuff just to uphold thier tradition. That's why white wedding is considered optional by many but not the traditional wedding. It's not even an African thing, Asians take thier traditional weddings seriously too. I understand if you don't see the value, but it doesn't make you any superior to those that do. We all have things we consider a big deal that others don't. If one has the resources and wants to do it, I don't see any problem with that. Harmless traditions are beautiful, they give us a sense of identity.

Culture wey we don throway

1 Like

Re: Weddings Are Crap. A Waste Of Time by WoundedLamb: 8:24pm On Nov 26, 2021
Negroid001:
Culture wey we don throway

Well, you can only speak for yourself.

2 Likes

Re: Weddings Are Crap. A Waste Of Time by Negroid001(m): 8:27pm On Nov 26, 2021
WoundedLamb:

Well, you can only speak for yourself.
If you're a Christian or Muslim, you don throway your culture.

1 Like

Re: Weddings Are Crap. A Waste Of Time by WoundedLamb: 8:38pm On Nov 26, 2021
Negroid001:
If you're a Christian or Muslim, you don throway your culture.
Again, I can only speak for myself. Just do your thing and let others do thiers. Thier wedding, thier money.

2 Likes

Re: Weddings Are Crap. A Waste Of Time by Negroid001(m): 8:39pm On Nov 26, 2021
WoundedLamb:

Again, I can only speak for myself. Just do your thing and let others do thiers. Thier wedding, thier money.

Hehe. You wan run...

1 Like

Re: Weddings Are Crap. A Waste Of Time by WoundedLamb: 8:46pm On Nov 26, 2021
Negroid001:
Hehe. You wan run...

What? Sorry, you lost me here... I didn't get the message. I'm saying you don't need to get riled up about how others live thier lives or their choice of religion or wedding style. Just do what makes you happy and let others do thiers.

4 Likes

Re: Weddings Are Crap. A Waste Of Time by Negroid001(m): 8:50pm On Nov 26, 2021
WoundedLamb:

What? Sorry, you lost me here... I didn't get the message. I'm saying you don't need to get riled up about how others live thier lives or their choice of religion or wedding style. Just do what makes you happy ans let others do thiers.
Your oyibo don dey too much. If you like do wedding, if you like no do. Ticket wey go cut go cut. If dem go Bleep your significan other, dem go Bleep am.

2 Likes

Re: Weddings Are Crap. A Waste Of Time by WoundedLamb: 8:51pm On Nov 26, 2021
Negroid001:
Your oyibo don dey too much. If you like do wedding, if you like no do. Ticket wey go cut go cut. If dem go Bleep your significan other, dem go Bleep am.

Ugh... I thought I was having a decent discussion.

Ok. Bye.

6 Likes

Re: Weddings Are Crap. A Waste Of Time by Truvelisback(m): 8:55pm On Nov 26, 2021
U are Rice.

1 Like

Re: Weddings Are Crap. A Waste Of Time by Solofresh2: 8:55pm On Nov 26, 2021
Oga rest
E no work for you no mean say e no go work for another person

1 Like

Re: Weddings Are Crap. A Waste Of Time by Negroid001(m): 9:00pm On Nov 26, 2021
Solofresh2:
Oga rest
E no work for you no mean say e no go work for another person
I no talk say e no go work. I just dey try explain say most marriages nowadays dey end with divorce. Make nobody loose guard kon dey regret money wey don blow.

1 Like

Re: Weddings Are Crap. A Waste Of Time by OmejeGuy: 9:06pm On Nov 26, 2021
LiberatedGirl:
It's 2021 and alot of people are still doing large Weddings in a day and age where Divorce has reached Epidemic Proportions. All this Brides Maids Crap and Dancing Crap. You can get married at the Registry or do a small church Wedding on Tuesday when everyone is at work. But the African is a Coward " What will people say ! " is more important than doing the sensible thing. All africans can do is Party while their mates in America are inventing things, their mates in China are manufacturing things. These days a woman looks forward to her Wedding in Africa because Marriage to most women is their Biggest Achievement in life. So Sad. Something so basic. Anyway people still throw Birthday parties as if they have just invented Fuelless Cars and are celebrating the achievement. A Birthday is a Time to reflect on your life and not a time to celebrate. What are you celebrating ? Did you plan your Birth ? Did you dig a tunnel and come out on that day ?. I am not Jehovah's Witness but the best and most meaningful Birthday parties are with just immediate family alone. It's a bit of a Circus to invite people. Anyway Africans are a highly unserious lot of people all they do is party while their peers abroad are working hard. The black man dances and parties then wonders why he is poor and his economy is in pieces.

It's so sad really. 3 grown women lapping inside public transport on their way to party. They bought asoebi ooo

You wonder why the three of them can't sit separately, comfortably. The money to buy and sow that asoebi would have taken care of important needs, but no!

Blockheads everywhere, pathetic �

3 Likes

Re: Weddings Are Crap. A Waste Of Time by Negroid001(m): 9:08pm On Nov 26, 2021
OmejeGuy:

It's so sad really. 3 grown women lapping inside public transport on their way to party. They bought asoebi ooo

You wonder why the three of them can't sit separately, comfortably. The money to buy and sow that asoebi would have taken care of important needs, but no!

Blockheads everywhere, pathetic �
� Oh no no....
Re: Weddings Are Crap. A Waste Of Time by LiberatedGirl: 7:14am On Nov 27, 2021
Negroid001:
� Oh no no....

Yup yup. That's why Nigeria and Black Africa are struggling to make progress. To much "Show Off" and too little Financial Savings. Is Nigeria not always borrowing money from This Club and that Club ? Nigeria is the sum total of her Citizens.
Re: Weddings Are Crap. A Waste Of Time by LiberatedGirl: 7:22am On Nov 27, 2021
Negroid001:
Well... You know how it is here. We show off too much.
Someone dies, party!
New born baby, party!
New car, party!

To our own detriment..

This is so on point. Its so Sad really. We are just throwing money away. We could be setting up businesses with all that money spent on parties
Re: Weddings Are Crap. A Waste Of Time by LiberatedGirl: 7:34am On Nov 27, 2021
WoundedLamb:

Upholding Traditions that enslave you Financially is not smart. Traditions are Created by Mere Mortals and Can be Changed by Mere Mortals. Because you do something wrong for a billion years does not make it a good thing. Thank God the Yoruba listened to Mary Sclessor and stopped their tradition of Killing Twins. If you do not questions Tradition or religion then one is a Slave. Who will do whatever he/ she is told. When w question practices it's the beginning of doing what will suit you well in the now and in the long run. And what do Asians contribute to the World ? Do they not Clone White Technology. All their so called " inventions " are Mere alterations of what Westerners have done. I am not praising the West or putting anyone down I am just saying in life people who watch how they spend money and time last longer than those who think money will always be there. The latter always go broke. You can do research on " Rappers who went broke" - they did not save and they over spent. Culture without individual thought is extremely dangerous

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Weddings Are Crap. A Waste Of Time by LiberatedGirl: 7:44am On Nov 27, 2021
WoundedLamb:

Ugh... I thought I was having a decent discussion.

Ok. Bye.

What he said in very few words that size of weddings add zero value to the marriage. All those people who laugh and smile with you as they eat your rice, chicken, chivita and Just Juice will not be there for you when things go bad in life or in the marriage. A small wedding will involve only those that are close to you and they will be more committed to you. It's like starting a business it's best to involve only those who can contribute to the short and long-term success of the business. In life you do not need every body only those who contribute meaningfully to you.

1 Like

Re: Weddings Are Crap. A Waste Of Time by WoundedLamb: 7:57am On Nov 27, 2021
LiberatedGirl:

Upholding Traditions that enslave you Financially is not smart. Traditions are Created by Mere Mortals and Can be Changed by Mere Mortals. Because you do something wrong for a billion years does not make it a good thing. Thank God the Yoruba listened to Mary Sclessor and stopped their tradition of Killing Twins. If you do not questions Tradition or religion then one is a Slave. Who will do whatever he/ she is told. When w question practices it's the beginning of doing what will suit you well in the now and in the long run. And what do Asians contribute to the World ? Do they not Clone White Technology. All their so called " inventions " are Mere alterations of what Westerners have done. I am not praising the West or putting anyone down I am just saying in life people who watch how they spend money and time last longer than those who think money will always be there. The latter always go broke. You can do research on " Rappers who went broke" - they did not save and they over spent. Culture without individual thought is extremely dangerous

You missed the whole point. This is not argument about the validity of culture. It's an argument about the validity of choices. The point here is, people do it for reasons that appeal to them. Like I said, we all have things we consider important to us that others don't see as anything. I personally couldn't care less about clothes (or weddings for that matter) but I spent hundreds of dollars on my pets in a month. Some people don't care about pets but would spend just as much money on gadgets. Neither myself nor these people are too rich, but these are just different but valid things we hold at a high esteem. Regardless of how prudent one is, there's always that thing you're always willing to spend on.

So if some people hold traditional wedding at a high esteem and would go out of thier way to have a memorable one, it's just as valid. The fact that they could divorce the next day is not a solid argument against celebrating to one's satisfaction, and you're definitely not in a position to tell anyone which culture to uphold and which one not to. We are all different and your preferences aren't necessarily superior to mine. The issue arises when you think it's your duty to drag those who don't share your perspective to the grave.

Don't get me wrong, you have every right to share your opinion and even advise others if you feel like it. But don't lose site of the fact that it's your opinion and not a standard. And most importantly, don't suggest that those who think differently are less intelligent. Your point is, if you can't afford a traditional wedding ceremony, don't rob the bank for it. This is a nice advice. You don't need to proceed to run down traditional weddings and make it look as if those doing it are dumb.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Weddings Are Crap. A Waste Of Time by WoundedLamb: 8:03am On Nov 27, 2021
LiberatedGirl:

What he said in very few words that size of weddings add zero value to the marriage. All those people who laugh and smile with you as they eat your rice, chicken, chivita and Just Juice will not be there for you when things go bad in life or in the marriage. A small wedding will involve only those that are close to you and they will be more committed to you. It's like starting a business it's best to involve only those who can contribute to the short and long-term success of the business. In life you do not need every body only those who contribute meaningfully to you.

I don't really know why you think it's your duty to set other people's priorities. You do you and let them do them. Traditional weddings are not bad. It's perfect if you don't want it. You don't need any validation for that.

2 Likes

Re: Weddings Are Crap. A Waste Of Time by LiberatedGirl: 8:06am On Nov 27, 2021
WoundedLamb:

You missed the whole point. This is not argument about the validity of culture. It's an argument about the validity of choices. The point here is, people do it for reasons that appeal to them. Like I said, we all have things we consider important to us that others don't see as anything. I personally couldn't care less about clothes (or weddings for that matter) but I spent hundreds of dollars on my pets in a month. Some people don't care about pets but would spend just as much money on gadgets. Neither myself nor these people are too rich, but these are just different but valid things we hold at a high esteem. Regardless of how prudent one is, there's always that thing you're always willing to spend on.

So if some people hold traditional wedding at a high esteem and would go out of thier way to have a memorable one, it's just as valid. The fact that they could divorce the next day is not a solid argument against celebrating to one's satisfaction, and you're definitely not in a position to tell anyone which culture to uphold and which one not to. We are all different and your preferences aren't necessarily superior to mine. The issue arises when you think it's your duty to drag those who don't share your perspective to the grave.

Don't get me wrong, you have every right to share your opinion and even advise others if you feel like it. But don't lose site of the fact that it's your opinion and not a standard. And most importantly, don't suggest that those who think differently are less intelligent. Your point is, if you can't afford a traditional wedding ceremony, don't rob the bank for it. This is nice advice. You don't need to run down traditional weddings and make it look as if those doing it are dumb.

Now you are talking. You spend on your pets because you love your pets. You are doing the right thing because it is personal and Private. If you bought a Ferrari and parked it in your bedroom I will praise your choice. When choices are personal and Private they rarely lead to Bankruptcy, it's the choices that " show off " that lead to Bankruptcy. I'm sure you do not invite anyone to come and look at your pets because you don't care about including others it is for you alone. That is what I am talking about if marriage was " real " would people care about inviting the whole world ? When we invite the whole world then it means the invitation is as important as the event meaning the event is not that important. Your pets give you joy that you love and you do not include others in that joy, your joy is yours alone. That is true joy.
Re: Weddings Are Crap. A Waste Of Time by WoundedLamb: 8:18am On Nov 27, 2021
LiberatedGirl:

Now you are talking. You spend on your pets because you love your pets. You are doing the right thing because it is personal and Private. If you bought a Ferrari and parked it in your bedroom I will praise your choice. When choices are personal and Private they rarely lead to Bankruptcy, it's the choices that " show off " that lead to Bankruptcy. I'm sure you do not invite anyone to come and look at your pets because you don't care about including others it is for you alone. That is what I am talking about if marriage was " real " would people care about inviting the whole world ? When we invite the whole world then it means the invitation is as important as the event meaning the event is not that important. You pets give you joy that you love and you do not include others in that joy, your joy is yours alone. That is true joy.

@bold, the premise of argument does not support your conclusion. How does inviting people imply the invitation as important as the meaning of the event? That's very narrow. Don't use your personal convictions to judge others.

Sir, the desire to spend on certain things has nothing to do with whether they're private, public or anything in-between. It is simply about what makes me happy; whatever rocks my boat. If I were the party type or if watching friends and family dance and eat as a way of celebration was my thing, I'd gladly shut down the city of Montréal on my wedding day.

Fact is, you don't get to say what true joy is for others. You can only define your own true joy.

1 Like

Re: Weddings Are Crap. A Waste Of Time by LiberatedGirl: 8:34am On Nov 27, 2021
WoundedLamb:

@bold, the premise of argument does not support your conclusion. How does inviting people imply the invitation is then more important than the meaning of the event? That's very narrow. Why are you using your personal convictions to judge others?

Sir, the desire to spend on certain things has nothing to do with whether they're private, public or anything in-between. It is simply about what makes me happy; whatever rocks my boat. If I were the party type or if watching friends and family dance and eat as a way of celebration was my thing, I'd gladly shut down the city of Montréal on my wedding day.

Fact is, you don't get to say what true joy is for others. You can only define your own true joy.

I'm Female not male. I do not go to Church and I hadly pray but I read a Bible. Someone called Jesus Christ said " Do not be like the Pharisees who make an Open show " " When you pray go into your Closet and pray " What Jesus was saying is place emphasis on the unseen and do not do things to be praised by others or noticed by others. When I talk it is not based on my own views but on research spanning close to 10,000 years. I do research on the Egyptian Empire. Greece, Rome, my knowledge spans the entire History of the Human race. Believe me I am far from opinionated. I'm a scientist of the highest order. psychologist, psychoanalist. I have said my own o. There is nothing to say again. Ask your self why Africa makes zero contribution to the world technologically. Because we do not read. We read from Social Media and do not do enough research on Google.
It was nice talking to you. I have work to do. Social Media is fun but work has to be done.
Re: Weddings Are Crap. A Waste Of Time by LiberatedGirl: 8:52am On Nov 27, 2021
People who do not plan their money or think money will always be there are heading for Poverty
Re: Weddings Are Crap. A Waste Of Time by arthurwillia(m): 9:22am On Nov 27, 2021
LiberatedGirl:

I thought we said we don’t want to be slaves to the white and not copy their way of life? Hypocrite

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Clear Photos Of The Ghanaian Married Woman Who Went N@ked On Tiktok / What My Ex Did To Me Yesterday / Pls Advice Me On What To Do Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.