Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,126 members, 7,814,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:57 AM

Nine Oil Workers Kidnapped In Niger Delta - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nine Oil Workers Kidnapped In Niger Delta (10356 Views)

6 Foreign Workers Kidnapped In Bauchi State - Police / Nine Oil Thieves Jailed For 90 Years Each In Niger Delta / Eight Oil Workers Kidnapped In Nigeria: Again! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nine Oil Workers Kidnapped In Niger Delta by Kokscity(m): 12:12am On Feb 23, 2006
@Daviddylan

Clap hands for yourself. Seun thinks that The people of oil rich Niger Delta, should BEG Halliburton, Shell, Elf,Mobil,Schlumberger,Chevron ETC To please help them develop their land while being exploited of their Oil. The Fcuken reason those companies are there God dammit is because of those people they came to meet there.Damn! the windfall profits these oil companies are making, angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

Caring for others is a Human Value!!
Re: Nine Oil Workers Kidnapped In Niger Delta by toshmann(m): 12:26am On Feb 23, 2006
Seun, u don't seem to appreciate the practical problems on ground in the niger delta
Re: Nine Oil Workers Kidnapped In Niger Delta by paddylo1(m): 12:34am On Feb 23, 2006
I wonder what MEND boys will do when the oil runs out, or the world moves on to fuel cell, or other technology, it is funny that him who wishes war on his fatherland by wanting to join MEND is safely in the U.K, with his family, what an crock of bull, after 10million nigerians are dead and we go back to square one maybe u all will understand the futility of war, show me a country that has been to war in the past 15years and i will show u poverty and distruction, and what kind of war do u fight that u cannot advance out off your territory, will u invade iboland, biniland or lagos, there is a lot of empty talk on here with no substance, Nigeria gave me my birth and heritage, it is something u cannot understand until you leave your country, once u do, u will realize how lucky u were to be born in a land with culture and smiles, and depth, I will be back to Nigeria someday, and when i do i will live in LAGOS, or ABUJA, or ENUGU, let mend destroy thier homeland, i will be chilling in other parts of Nigeria, afterall life goes on in colombia, israel, and other zones of conflict, around the world,
Re: Nine Oil Workers Kidnapped In Niger Delta by mingiix: 12:50am On Feb 23, 2006
@ Seun!!!!! If you are intelligent enough to decipher the obvious trend in this thread, you won't help noticing the intelligence of the Niger-Deltans posting here. Light years ago, we were  far  behind Western nigeria academically(No thanks to your scheme to keep us in perpetual ignorance).It is changing Fast. Many of us are now in western countries getting our acts together (Not fraudulently like ur yoruba folks here in the UK , Scammers etc).I mean real professionals. We send money to our folks down in the creeks to educate and arm them to remove the shackles your tribesmen placed us in since the 60s.
We are wiser now. No more in-fighting.We are now confronting our common enemy, The yorubas/Hausa/Fulanis . Una na neva see anything yet. After the battle in creeks have been won, I will persuade my president to give you a working Visa to Yenagoa for allowing dissenting voices to air their views here on your portal.
Re: Nine Oil Workers Kidnapped In Niger Delta by paddylo1(m): 12:50am On Feb 23, 2006
@Seun, u don't seem to appreciate the practical problems on ground in the niger delta,

and u solve those problems by taking up arms and kidnappings, see where that has gotten the palestinians, or zapatistas in chiapas mexico, or maybe the agitators in south thailand or southern phillipines, what about tamils in srilanka, all these have resulted in zero, how come the most developed nations in the world have no war going on, duh, but the funny thing is that all of you that accuse the hausa or yoruba or even igbos of theft of wealth do not deny there is poverty in all parts of the country called Nigeria, i mean does the hawker on lagos streets know anything about oil wealth, what about the igbo trader, what does he have to do with oil wealth, what of the poor farmer in JOS or Benue, pls answer, and finally if u are going to be governed by men who look like those in that MEND picture i feel sorry for your republic cause it will be worse than MOBUTUS Zaire, or TAYLORS Liberia,
Re: Nine Oil Workers Kidnapped In Niger Delta by toshmann(m): 12:59am On Feb 23, 2006
paddylo don't change issue with unnecessary comparison.why don't u compare the wealth from the niger delta with the

situation there and then for analogy compare the wealth in ,say,kuwait,with the development there.

there is unfortunate discrepancy. these guys have a right to be upset. when june12 was annulled,the yorubas called for

oduduwa republic.isn't it. just for election annullment. so what are we saying here.

and by the way,i'm not from the niger delta. i have friends from there. i feel them.
Re: Nine Oil Workers Kidnapped In Niger Delta by toshmann(m): 1:03am On Feb 23, 2006
be civilised,if this oil was in the north or west, the situation won't be the same,so what are we saying. nobody likes war.i don't.but when a people are pushed to the wall,it is the result. goodnight guys,i got work to do.
cheers.
Re: Nine Oil Workers Kidnapped In Niger Delta by paddylo1(m): 1:26am On Feb 23, 2006
@be civilised,if this oil was in the north or west, the situation won't be the same,so what are we saying. nobody likes war.i don't.but when a people are pushed to the wall,it is the result. goodnight guys,i got work to do.
cheers.

Toshmann, what u should really be asking if u were being sincere is, who really controls this oil money, and how can the MEND Guys influence them to change their ways, Is the north really developed,apart from ABUJA, is west developed, outside of Lagos, have u been to ibadan or suleija before, these places look like hell on earth, there is no man really enjoying oil wealth in nigeria, except politicians and cronies, so why not MEND go to a governors house in kano, or Abuja, or Lagos, and blow it up, what of kidnapping their kids from universities in Lagos, or Abuja, and holding those kids to ransom to force Governors or politicians to stop being corrupt, such a move would probably be supported by majority of Nigerians, but kidnapping and behaving like middle east terrorists will not bring any sympathy to whateva gripe they may have,
Re: Nine Oil Workers Kidnapped In Niger Delta by bunking(m): 1:42am On Feb 23, 2006
Seun (m)   Re: Nine Oil Workers Kidnapped In Niger Delta
« #105 on: Yesterday at 08:20:28 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SO what exactly is the basis of their claim?  An accident of history!  The truth is, the only thing they really deserve is to be compensated for the damage to the environment often caused by oil extraction.  Oil spillages and gas flaring have harmed their environment and in some cases made fishing difficult, so they should be compensated for that and nothing more.  Afterall, their forefathers did not plant the oil

Ok leave Niger delta alone ,
What did your forefathers plant for you?
Bad politics[kpekelemes], Nepotism and corruption
Make una  harvest  and export Amala for Yorubaland  grin grin
and Tuwo for hausaland. grin grin
Re: Nine Oil Workers Kidnapped In Niger Delta by Kokscity(m): 3:02am On Feb 23, 2006
@Bunking

That was very Funny!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nine Oil Workers Kidnapped In Niger Delta by Jakumo(m): 7:21am On Feb 23, 2006
Disregarding for a moment the legality of ownership on the Niger Delta oil wealth, the fact is that while successive military and civilian Nigerian[i] leaders [/i] have diverted the oil wealth at the expense of the local inhabitants of the delta, that stolen wealth has never really made any significant difference in the daily lives of most of the other tribes that reside within Nigeria's territorial boundaries.  It is thus rather simplistic for the Niger Delta residents to group all other Nigerian tribes together as the common enemy of the Izon, Urhobo or Itshekiri delta folks.

My guess is that even if the oil rich delta breaks away from the Nigerian federation, the impact on the ground in most other parts of the nation, with the notable exception of the capital Abuja, might not be as devastating as some envision.  Sure, there will be a period of real hardship and deprivation while each of the other Nigerian regions scrambles to cultivate a new income source,  but once that is over, it is well within the realms of possibility that some regions of the country might in the long haul fare better by concentrating on the mechanized  exploitation of agricultural resources, or moving into the furure by educating  workforces to be competitive in information technology and software development, as is being done in India.

No matter what the Nigerian  lawbooks say today about ownership of the Niger Delta, the fact remains that Nigeria's first territorial map, which arbitrarily crowded 250 tribal groups into one nation, was drawn up one night by a drunken colonialist whose sole motivation at the time was greed and a desire to exploit his new "nation" for the sole benefit of the then colonialist  British Empire.   Ono, Owo, and even the Wild Man Mingiix are all right to demand autonomy for their oil-rich homeland, but are all somewhat inaccurate in blaming the common Nigerian for the predicament that was created by colonialists and perpetuated by a mere handfull of very wealthy embezzlers primarily from northern Nigeria.

In the fullness of time and very likely within our own lifetimes, the Niger Delta WILL break away from what was once the Nigerian Federation, and yes, any person whose ancestry is not traceable to the delta area WILL require work visas to qualify for the privilege of seeking employment there.  This will come to pass, with the only unknown being the volume of innocent blood that will flow before that just and final end is reached.
Re: Nine Oil Workers Kidnapped In Niger Delta by ono(m): 8:05am On Feb 23, 2006
No doubt, blood will flow, and in fact blood has been flowing since the days of Isaac Adaka Boro, Ken Saro-Wiwa, Dikibo and a host of other freedom fighters in the creeks - ordinary people who believed their rights is being trampled on by insensitive and greedy lots at the nations capital in Lagos and Abuja. There's no need to tell us that one again. We've heard that over and over again.

But right now, it's time to return fire for fire. ''Operation No Mercy'' to thieves in the creeks of the Niger Delta.
Re: Nine Oil Workers Kidnapped In Niger Delta by otokx(m): 10:40am On Feb 23, 2006
There is a lot of ignorance about the true situation of things in Nigeria. Most of you talking here have not been to the Niger Delta and am not refering to those contraptions e.g. Port Harcourt, Warri, Yenagoa or Bonny. I am not an advocate of violence but there has been a miscarriage of justice by the multinationals and out political elite be them in agbada or khaki. There is no longer respect for the rule of law and the people who have been suffering for so long are now reacting based on their level of exposure. We should pray for the peace of Nigeria - a country that has just paid $12bn to her creditors yet lacks electricity, health care facilities, transportation facilities, portable drinking water.
Re: Nine Oil Workers Kidnapped In Niger Delta by oyibo01(m): 11:11am On Feb 23, 2006
Jakumo,

Why is it that whenever an African country fails itself and its people, blame goes to the Western world, the white man or most often colonialism?

Whether it is Nigeria, Zimbabwe or South Africa, always the same arguments. Nigeria has enjoyed independence for almost half a century!?!? Stop forever shifting the blame.

If a poor man is given the opportunity to be rich, but he would have to kill, mame, rob, plunder or de-fraud, etc, etc to obtain the wealth, is it acceptable for him to do so? Just because of past injustices

I am a Christian and my faith tells me NO!

When you are dealt a hand it depends on you how you play it out. Majority of the African countries that have gained their independence after colonialism have had ample opportunity to make a difference and do the right thing,  have they? NO! The "new" leadership have everytime screwed up and screwed their own people. But then it just gets blamed on the past injustices.

Nothing will change and nothing will improve until such time that the Nigerian people stop making excuses and start proving what they are really made of.

Just a final thought,  South Africa was under colonial rule and gained independence in the 60's as well. Yes, it fell into the hands of apartheid leadership, but face the facts, look at South Africa today,  its a 1st world country on a 3rd world continent! How come the "new" leadership were able to build & develop it to what it is today after independence?

Hmmm,  after thought though, since the change of leadership in South Africa in 1994 infrastructure, service quality, etc, etc is starting to deteriorate, makes one think,  where does the real problem lie in Africa?
Re: Nine Oil Workers Kidnapped In Niger Delta by Jakumo(m): 11:51am On Feb 23, 2006
Oyibo01 I wasn't so much blaming colonialists for Nigeria's present day strife as I was pointing out that many of the national boundaries in sub-Saharan Africa were initialy drawn by colonialists with little or no regard to the geographical distribution of the indigenous tribes, and so needn't be seen as non-negotiable lines in the sand, especially if tribal hostilities are inflamed rather than pacified by those demarcation lines. The mix becomes even more explosive when natural resources such as crude oil are added to the equation.
Re: Nine Oil Workers Kidnapped In Niger Delta by oyibo01(m): 12:05pm On Feb 23, 2006
Jakumo,

Point taken. I am white, but I am African. And I LOVE Africa. I come from a line of very liberal thinking oyibo's and we have always believed in and fought for Africa and Africans. It pains me to see what has become of our beautiful continent. If we look at the world as a whole, the most barbaric incidents of violence, continuous war, etc, etc, finds itself on our shores.

I honestly dont have hope that things are going to improve during my lifetime, but I hope and pray that our children and their children can reap benefit from the evils that are bringing Africa to its knees.

Nigeria has a lot to offer to those who are prepared to "listen" to her, put aside their (silly) differences and work together as a nation and not as a group of nations. With corruption almost at the top of the long list of problems, that should be rooted out first.

Nigeria has a population in excess of 130million, how can a handfull of people, most likely less than 20%, have control over Nigeria destiny People have far too long just accepted that everyone is corrupt and thats the way it will stay. If so many are against the corruption and want it rooted out, THEN WHY NOT STAND UP and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT??
Re: Nine Oil Workers Kidnapped In Niger Delta by toshmann(m): 12:34pm On Feb 23, 2006
good talk oyibo.i dont think we can do much now.but for our children's generation let us turn things to the right direction.if we give them a war torn country.pity. the problem is not the white man.the problem is in our land,our people,our leaders and everybody.
Re: Nine Oil Workers Kidnapped In Niger Delta by otokx(m): 12:56pm On Feb 23, 2006
there will not be any war - torn country. we are very peaceful people.
Re: Nine Oil Workers Kidnapped In Niger Delta by ono(m): 1:57pm On Feb 23, 2006
This one is not for the fainthearted ND people on this site, it's for the bold ones:

Comrades of the Greatest Chicoco Republic,
We have to get our acts together now that the rod is hot and hit it hard to achieve our aims and objectives. Our enemies, are busy out there strategising on how to quell the uprising by patriotic elements amongst us, such as MEND, IYC, MOSIEND, MOSOP, IDU, UPU, UPF, etc etc. We cannot, and I repeat, we cannot allow then to succeed. Intelligence information reaching my desk here in Warri has it that very soon, they might send sophisticated artilleries to shell and exterminate us from our father lands - From Koko in Delta to our border with Cameroon, in present day Cross-River. They used our money to purchase these equipment, and now they want to use them against us. They will not succeed.

So, what do we do? First, we must realise that there's no other place on earth that we can call home except here in the ND. Nowadays, sitting down and watching events unfold in the comfort of our rooms and offices will not help solve our problems. Freedom does not come cheaply, it must be fought for and won. Ask the Americans, they will tell you this is true. Ask the South Africans, it's thesame story.We have to get our acts right and get ready to fight for our freedom.

The privilege few amongst us must provide all the needed resources to do grassroots awareness amongst our brothers in the villages and towns in the Niger Delta areas. We must begin to preach Love and Unity among the widespread ethnic nationalities among us. The infidels used this minor differences among us to the maximum when they set the Itsekiris against the Urhobos and Ijaws of Warri to cause mayhem, and inflict catastrophic damages to the town and the psyche of our people in the Warri axis. We cannot allow this to continue. We must work together and stay together if this struggle must succeed.

I will keep you all posted as events unfold, and as I draw out my next line of action.

Ono, has spoken from the Deep in Warri.
Re: Nine Oil Workers Kidnapped In Niger Delta by issacboro: 2:55pm On Feb 23, 2006
Fellow deltalites we are happy that there is a voice echoing in the wilderness and it is being heard by the GODS and it is being answered.
Thank you very much for the support and undertsanding although there are some unscrupulous elements in our mist we have to eradicate from this forum who have failed or will i say turn a blind eye to plight of the people.
They should be treated as traitors and back bitters least i forget we all know where they are from the cocoa plantation.
I want to use this oppurtunity to express myself in this matter at hand and please if you have loved ones in delta and they are not of niger delta origin please for the love of humanity tell them to start packing their belongings because the force that is comming the wind will not be able to hold it.
The voice has gone out and the people are ready to face anything the false republic will bring.
LET ME ASK HOW MANY PEOPLE WILL THEY KILL.
This battle will be taken to the front line and no mercy for anyone one caught in the line of fire, be it white or black, foriegn or from the false republic of nigeria.
You people think that we are stupid well according to the papers the federal government say that they are lossing $27.3m a day calculate that and that is just the tip as we all know that is what they want use to belive we know they make more per day.
They have not seen anything until they come to realise the truth which we from the delta republic have come to realise they will continue to bribe people for this mess but you know what this government is very stupid the last time people where abducted they gave some people money valued at 1billion naira for the release of the hostages now the people know that the government values foriegn nationals more than the people of niger delta what a way to show a good example.

You yorubas you guy feel that you are very smart and educated do you know when they talk about nigeria being corrupt they are talking about the yorubas,hausa,igbo people not niger delta people who have in along time being in shadow of the so called slave masters of the nigerian republic.
Let me tell you about the tribes i have mentioned above.
Yorubas they are all over the world we agree what are they doing well do want to know?
1.Credit card scam aka (ike)
2.Cheque (iwe)
3.Drugs
4.Ritualist
5.Informers
This is what the yorubas do in london,america and name it worldwide.They have no self respect for humanity talkless of the deprived people of the niger delta,the yoruba man will put you in front once the bubbles burst he is away to another place we do not need people like this in the niger delta republic.

IGBO MAN:
This people very dangerous be very careful of them they can sell there own mother for the love of money,they don't care for less of anyone me,myself and I.
What they do abroad :
1.419 (Maga level)
2.Drugs
3.Otokoto big time main source of wealth.
4.Robbery
This group we do not want in the niger delta republic we will not issue visa to them at all because they will pollute our civil society and our young people they are very dangerous.

Hausa/Fulani
This people they are the most dangerous of all the groups in nigeria they are masters in what they do,they can manupulate you to the point that you feel they are god sent.
I have authority to tell you that no hausa/fulani man works but they very very wealthy how come and the can not speak english?
The things they do;
1.Ritualist
2.Embelzzing of public funds
3.Government
This people we will make sure they do not smell our boarders we will chase them away the way cow drives flies from it's bottom.

The present situation in nigeria is a sure headach for everyone soon no power supply and fuel supply and movement will be restricted and then cut the souce of government income and lets see if the nigerian republic will not go on it's knees to beg for mercy.Then the sucophants will start to say we said it but the givernment refused to listen.
The time has passed for all that, it is time for action let us all go home to support the struggle one life one destiny.
They need logistics and manpower to mobilise the battalions who are willing to sacrifice there life for the happiness of our children yet unborn.
Re: Nine Oil Workers Kidnapped In Niger Delta by pssword: 3:08pm On Feb 23, 2006
Hi guys I have enjoyed the banter from you guys and a lot of it is quite thought provoking. However, I could not resist replying to [b]Mr oyinb01's [/b]assessment of our continent, it's struggles and the influence of colonialism, even though he is African! He talks about our penchant for barbarism, war, strife corruption, excuses etc. etc. etc, This is equivalent to seeing two educated mild mannered men fighting on the street and accusing them of unsociable/bad behavior. True their actions are unacceptable, but wouldn't you wander what could have caused these mild mannered men to fight in the first place? And that if you remove the trouble/cause, you remove the fight. You still dey follow me?

Ok, is there any formerly colonized country in sub-Saharan Africa that is currently going through one/many of ailments you have mentioned. I think I may have hinted at the common denominator here aka our trouble/cause hypothesis. So what is the big deal about colonialism, afterall they brought technology, refined goods and system of government, I'm sure the colonial propaganda machine can add a few more to the list. What about the very divisive "DIVIDE AND CONQUER", turning brother against brother and sowing racial/ethnic seeds of distrust mmm? What about throwing a multitude of people with different languages, cultures etc, together under a geographical boundary and expecting them to live happily together, after, don't forget, sowing the seeds of distrust - see Tutsi-Hutu for example. Can you imagine the French, English and Germans sharing one country - all hell would break loose. What about the exploitation of the natural resources and using uneducated locals to rule the educated. What about the constant supply of arms to the waring tribes, what about the uneconomic incentives (IMF, trade embargo etc) used to cripple the economy of the continent and increase poverty, what about, I could go on and on and on, Lest I forget that in South Africa that u mention o fondly, what happend/is happening to the bulk of the black people in the townships, do you think it is an equitable state? Please speak to a black South African living there and stop p*sing in the wind.

Now that we know why we are fighting, why are we still fighting each other, it's because most of the leaders in Africa are from that generation that had direct contact with colonialism, living vestiges of the destructive influence of colonialism. Soon there will be a new dawn in Africa, people with a different way if thinking will emerge as leaders and drive the regeneration of our great continent, our great countries. I have heard great things about Ghana and I am hoping for great things in Liberia. But it will come,
Re: Nine Oil Workers Kidnapped In Niger Delta by pssword: 3:11pm On Feb 23, 2006
[b]Isaac Boro [/b]has just buttressed my point, Hausa, Igbo, yoruba, tribes tribes tribes, , differences, suspicions, half-truths. What happened to one Nigeria,
Re: Nine Oil Workers Kidnapped In Niger Delta by mingiix: 3:28pm On Feb 23, 2006
Quote from Oyibo01
Just a final thought,  South Africa was under colonial rule and gained independence in the 60's as well. Yes, it fell into the hands of apartheid leadership, but face the facts, look at South Africa today,  its a 1st world country on a 3rd world continent! How come the "new" leadership were able to build & develop it to what it is today after independence?

Hmmm,  after thought though, since the change of leadership in South Africa in 1994 infrastructure, service quality, etc, etc is starting to deteriorate, makes one think,  where does the real problem lie in Africa?
I  guess you are insinuating from the last paragraph that blacks are incapable of achieving anything great. You adduced that it was an after thought.Was it? There are more topical issues to discuss now. I will take you on this later.

quote from pssword
Isaac Boro has just buttressed my point, Hausa, Igbo, yoruba,  tribes tribes tribes, , differences, suspicions, half-truths. What happened to one Nigeria,
One Nigeria died a few years ago when the speck from the eyes of the Niger-deltans was removed.
Re: Nine Oil Workers Kidnapped In Niger Delta by issacboro: 4:01pm On Feb 23, 2006
ABUJA— THERE were strong indications in Abuja yesterday that the nine foreign oil workers kidnapped by Ijaw militants may be released in the next 24 hours following Federal Government’s agreement not to carry out any military attack or arrest the kingpins and their foot-soldiers whenever the hostages are released.

The Federal Government is already losing a total of $27.3 million per day to the activities of militants youths in the Niger Delta. From Shell Petroleum Development Company alone, government may have lost a total of $819 million in revenue from oil export as a result of the decision of Shell to shut in a total of 455,000 barrel of crude oil export per day for the month of January alone even as it has evacuated all its 600 workers in its Western division

Reliable security sources told Vanguard that the militants are also basing their commitment to release the hostages on the grounds that a trusted ally of theirs whose identity should be protected is allowed to come for the hostages.

In addition, the hostage takers want the government to guarantee that there will be no reprisal of any sort on them since they kept their promise of not harming the hostages.

Already, President Olusegun Obasanjo who is said to be monitoring the situation closely, is said to have told the Military High Command to create the atmosphere of non-confrontation around the creeks where the hostages are suspected to be held up.

According to the source, “we have reasons to believe that the hostages are so frightened that one or two of them may have fallen ill and the militants knowing the implications of anything happening to them would not want to incur the wrath of the Nigerian government as well as the international community.

FG loses $27.3m

Given an average oil price of $60 per barrel, the country is losing an average of $27.3 million from non export of crude by Shell. In a week, the country would have lost a total of $191.1 million while in a month, the loss would rise to $819 million if the crisis is allowed to linger.

Nigeria, a developing country with a myriad of social economic problem, needs every cent it can earn for developmental purposes. Shell on Tuesday said it had extended force majeure on Nigerian exports from the EA and Forcados fields after a string of militants attacks at the weekend. Forcados and EA off takes have been extended as of today.

Shell declared force majeure on liftings in January after a wave of militants’ attacks but extended it Tuesday after another string of attacks on its facilities at the weekend. The company, which pumps over 40 per cent of Nigeria’s oil, has shut in a total of 455,000 barrels per day as a precaution after militants at the weekend bombed the Forcados terminal, sabotaged two pipelines and kidnapped nine foreign oil workers. The militants snatched the nine oil workers—three Americans, two Egyptians, two Thais, one Filipino, one Briton—from a barge operated by US services company, Willbros, that was working on a Shell project off Forcados.

President Obasanjo, fearing that more attacks against the oil industry will force oil giants to pull out from the winding creeks of the Niger Delta thus leading to greater loss of revenue for the country, has ruled out military action to free the hostages. According to President Obasanjo, “we believe that very, very soon we should be able to reach the hostage takers. We’ve put in place a very powerful committee,” said Abel Oshevire, a spokesman for the Delta State government.

The panel is chaired by Chief Edwin Clark and will seek to contact the Ijaw youths who are holding the oil workers. The Niger Delta militants, in statements to the media, have said the men will not be released, and attacks on oil facilities will not stop until Shell pays $1.5 billion in compensation to polluted Ijaw communities.
On the international oil market scene, European oil refiners were taking the latest disruption to Nigerian crude exports in their stride because of ample supply, despite delays of more than two weeks in Forcados loadings, traders said Monday. Royal Dutch Shell was forced to shut in production feeding Nigeria’s Forcados export terminal and its 115,000 EA oilfield after militants bombed the terminal and sabotaged two pipelines.

Nigerian oil output was reduced last month after armed gunmen kidnapped four oil workers from the offshore EA field. Buyers since then have been looking for replacement barrels. “Refineries have already started working to solve the shortage because the problem started on January11,” a trader said Last month, Shell told traders that loadings of Forcados in the second half of February would be pushed into March, according to market sources. For example, cargoes loading February 19-20 would load March 6-7, and those loading February 17-18 will load March 2-3. It was too early to say whether the rescheduled February loadings will be delayed further as a result of the latest disruption to supply.

In the meantime, refiners have taken measures to substitute the gaps in their supply of Nigerian crude. “There is lots of crude out there besides Forcados,” a trader said.

NLC appeals for hostages’ release

Meanwhile, the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has appealed to militants holding the oil workers hostage to release them and ensure that no harm is done to the workers even as it acknowledged the political marginalisation of the Niger-Delta people.

In a statement in Abuja yesterday, the NLC president, Mr Adams Oshiomhole said: “The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) wishes to once again passionately appeal for the release of the nine oil workers being held in captivity since last Saturday. We strongly appeal that no harm be done to these workers.

“Oil workers, irrespective of their nationalities, are not responsible for the situation in the Niger Delta or for the immediate grievances being canvassed by our compatriots.

The NLC added that it “recognises that the political marginalisation and colossal injustices suffered by our compatriots in the Niger Delta area are real, legitimate and required to be redressed urgently.”
On efforts by the Federal Government, the NLC said: “While we endorse the strategy of negotiation adopted by the Federal Government, it bears emphasis that redressing the injustices requires fundamental political, welfarist and constitutional solution.”
Re: Nine Oil Workers Kidnapped In Niger Delta by shockreaction(m): 5:33pm On Feb 23, 2006
Two major problems being faced:
1. Greed.
2. Uncivilisation.

Until we can get rid of this, nothing is going to be solved.

Nigeria sucks. 'nuff said.
Re: Nine Oil Workers Kidnapped In Niger Delta by Kokscity(m): 5:34pm On Feb 23, 2006
@ All the Niger Deltans

Damn! you all are backing up your words with action. On Monday shell said it was losing $3million per day. By Thursday they are now losing $27.3 Million per day. I believe the government has failed the people of the Niger Delta and this is what it has boiled down to. You Hit em where it hurts their pockets. By the time Shell is losing $80 million per day, i guarantee you that MEND,UHU, AND OTHER GROUPS LIKE THEM WILL BE BEGGED TO COME TO THE NEGOTIATING TABLE.

A few people called the ANC in South Africa, changed the world. I believe the Niger Delta communities can bring some Justice and Equality to Nigeria. YOU CANNOT STEAL FROM PEOPLE FOR SO LONG AND EXPECT THEM TO SIT DOWN AND WATCH. OBJ IS A THIEF AND I THINK THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT OF NIGERIA WILL BE CRIPPLED IF THIS GOES BEYOND NEXT WEEK.
GOD BLESS THE NIGER DELTA AND MAY GOD CONTINUE TO BLESS THE USA!
SEMPER FI.

Kokscity wishes he was from the Niger Delta.
IT IS TIME FOR OBJ TO CALL BUSH AND ASK FOR HELP.
TIME TO SEND IN THE MARINES OR UN PEACEKEEPERS.
KOKSCITY WILL LOVE TO FIGHT ALONG SIDE THE US MARINES FOR HIS MOTHERLAND AND FOR PEACE.
Re: Nine Oil Workers Kidnapped In Niger Delta by Mariory(m): 10:05pm On Feb 23, 2006
So many people on here seem to be deluded. Oh well, that's what the internet does to people's courage I guess. grin
Re: Nine Oil Workers Kidnapped In Niger Delta by mingi14: 4:30am On Feb 24, 2006
Oyibo01, Ur last contribution betrayed ur deceptive posture in this forum. We are glad that the gods are gradually exposing our neo colonial masters in their assumed guise. Let the Niger Deltans deal with the more pressing problem of self actuaization, we woud address ur issue after that.
Re: Nine Oil Workers Kidnapped In Niger Delta by Jakumo(m): 6:36am On Feb 24, 2006
Mingi14, could you explain what aspects of [b]Oyobo01'[/b]s posts you find deceptive. I found his comments constructive and indicative of a genuine concern for Nigeria's destiny. Are you allowing knee-jerk racism to cloud your judgement ? Any person who as lived in Nigeria long enough to form an opinion about the place should be free to do so, regardless of that person's genetic architecture.
Re: Nine Oil Workers Kidnapped In Niger Delta by issacboro: 2:44am On Feb 25, 2006
see your nigeria grin
Re: Nine Oil Workers Kidnapped In Niger Delta by mingi14: 4:47am On Feb 26, 2006
Jakumo. I am not in the least interested in colour or orientation, I have no problem with issues raised in forums like this whether objective or outright crass but I abhor aspersions on people on the basis of colour. Oyibo1 in his last contribution did insinuate that South Africa is on the verge of deteriotation cos political power had been given to blacks.

"Just a final thought,  South Africa was under colonial rule and gained independence in the 60's as well. Yes, it fell into the hands of apartheid leadership, but face the facts, look at South Africa today,  its a 1st world country on a 3rd world continent! How come the "new" leadership were able to build & develop it to what it is today after independence?

Hmmm,  after thought though, since the change of leadership in South Africa in 1994 infrastructure, service quality, etc, etc is starting to deteriorate, makes one think,  where does the real problem lie in Africa?"

Its evident from the above that he upholds such a viewpoint which I think is interesting, however, I am not about to dabble into that or join issues with him on that as it will only serve as a diversion to the rather important issue of the Niger delta issue at hand. May I also add that I am not antagonizing Oyibo on the basis of his skin colour, rather, I honestly do appreciate his contribution as that could constitute another topical issue in the future.
Re: Nine Oil Workers Kidnapped In Niger Delta by Jakumo(m): 7:42am On Feb 26, 2006
Mingi14 I can understand how you may have caught a whiff of color bias in Oyibo01's observations about present-day South Africa, but if for the sake of argument there really has been a degradation in South Africa's infrastructure, possibly brought about by the post-apartheid influx of unemployed immigrants, for example, could Oyibo01's comments to that effect still be construed as being indicative of bigotry ?

I personally have never set foot in South Africa, and do not have the slightest intention of doing so for as long as I live, so any comparative analysis of that place would be way beyond the scope of my experience.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Welcome To Abia State - the industrial and economic hub of the east. / Budget 2016: Panel To Submit Report To Buhari Today / Gbarainubie Power Plant Ready End Of Q1 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.