Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,981 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:40 AM

Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra (9378 Views)

PDP Wins Enugu LG By Landslide / Breaking!!! 158 Kidnapped Victims Reunite With Families In Yobe / 5 Political Families In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by ektbear: 2:45pm On Jul 18, 2011
EzeUche:

For erosion which occurs throughout Igboland? A process that started doing the Palm oil trade?

So?

Using the same argument you used earlier for Fashola, then Peter Obi is equally guilty. Yet you've not seen the need to make a thread on it, have you?

You are a hypocrite.
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by mallorca(m): 3:10pm On Jul 18, 2011
lord have mercy
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by hbrednic: 3:42pm On Jul 18, 2011
see what palm oil has caused embarassed
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by saintohia: 3:57pm On Jul 18, 2011
It's a pity for those affected. The state Gov. & FG shld pls react quick.
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by Nobody: 3:59pm On Jul 18, 2011
What a Bad news for Anambras!! cry cry sad
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by vitality22(m): 4:10pm On Jul 18, 2011
But i wonder why and how Gov Peter Obi will allow this gully to degenerate to this extent. GOD SAVE US
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by ronkebp(f): 4:31pm On Jul 18, 2011
thank God, no life was lost,
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by emmke(m): 4:38pm On Jul 18, 2011
ronkebp:

thank God, no life was lost,
yeah thank God. But something most be done to avoid future occurrence. We might not be lucky again.
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by Hambolaj01(m): 5:19pm On Jul 18, 2011
May Allah save us
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by hackney(m): 7:17pm On Jul 18, 2011
All that gully in Anambra state is mother nature trying to dig up all those money ritual bodies there.
I have never seen a people that like money more than anambra indigienes.

they can contribute and i will design the grid drainage for them at various surge points.
water can be piped for long distances like oil if rqd (into the ocean or so)
money-crazy state.
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by seanet02: 7:18pm On Jul 18, 2011
Kobojunkie, ezeuche, jamaine, ystranger, chz, igboman,chino and all those hypocrites on Lagos thread where are you all? Barbaric Hypocrites!
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by hackney(m): 7:23pm On Jul 18, 2011
Fashola is the best Guv'nor since military rule in nigeria.
the man has the interest of lagosians at heart and is doing a lot of work.

Anybody that consistently criticizes him is a monkey.
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by owobokiri(m): 8:01pm On Jul 18, 2011
If the federal government can biuld bridges in Lagos and numerous dams all over the north, what is wrong if easterners expect some help in tackling massive erosion problems like this? Or do we need to be petty with every topic? If Anambra state is allowed to generate, sell and pay taxes on her oil deposits, i guess she may not need to ask the feds for help.
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by ak47mann(m): 8:23pm On Jul 18, 2011
hackney:

All that gully in Anambra state is mother nature trying to dig up all those money ritual bodies there.
I have never seen a people that like money more than anambra indigienes.

they can contribute and i will design the grid drainage for them at various surge points.
water can be piped for long distances like oil if rqd (into the ocean or so)
money-crazy state.
go suck ur mother angry angry angry angry
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by lagcity(m): 8:45pm On Jul 18, 2011
u see why no one wants to invest in yiboland? it is a sh1thole. even Igbos won't invest there. that's why they were begging for southern unity. Igbos are penny wise and dollar foolish. they would rather kidnap and bury their monarch at okija or buy the ozo title rather than fix their sh1thole. una see how the world's greatest whiners don carry begging bowl to Papa Jona grin grin. pathetic. next month, i'm going to be in Alpha beach in lasgidi, guess who's not gonna worry about huge gullies swallowing him up? cool cool
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by petertosh: 9:10pm On Jul 18, 2011
2mch:

grin ;DThe Biafran shilling stops with Obi grin. This is why when you point one finger, four others are pointing at you. Who will laugh last now? tongue
Pesin go wound for this nairaland oh cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy Can't stop laughing.

btw my condolences to the bereaved. hope the government finds a long lasting solution to this menace
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by jmaine: 9:18pm On Jul 18, 2011
seanet02:

Kobojunkie, ezeuche, jamaine Jmaine, ystranger, chz, igboman,chino and all those hypocrites on Lagos thread where are you all? Barbaric Hypocrites!

You don sniff your evening dose snuff abi  undecided undecided . . . My comments on this thread are visible and . . . so far  . . . we are having a responsible debate with no one trying to shout down others just because their Object of worship are being addressed and criticized correctly . . . replace this thread with a name of your idols and observe the torrents of abuse you and your ilks would be dishing out consistently just to defend the indefensible . . . .So much for your false supremacist theories and believe . . .Learn civility for your own good and stop shaming our ethnic group[b] consistently[/b]  . . .

Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by mkpologwu(m): 9:46pm On Jul 18, 2011
Igbo pple and their fake replication sef! They are trying to copy egyptians but ended up building pyramid downwards instead of upwards!!!
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by ektbear: 10:14pm On Jul 18, 2011
lagcity:

u see why no one wants to invest in yiboland? it is a sh1thole. even Igbos won't invest there. that's why they were begging for southern unity. Igbos are penny wise and dollar foolish. they would rather kidnap and bury their monarch at okija or buy the ozo title rather than fix their sh1thole. una see how the world's greatest whiners don carry begging bowl to Papa Jona grin grin. pathetic. next month, i'm going to be in Alpha beach in lasgidi, guess who's not gonna worry about huge gullies swallowing him up? cool cool

My brother, relax. No need to kick folk while they are down. Especially over natural disasters.
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by EzeUche(m): 10:15pm On Jul 18, 2011
jmaine:

You don sniff your evening dose snuff abi  undecided undecided . . . My comments on this thread are visible and . . . so far  . . . we are having a responsible debate with no one trying to shout down others just because their Object of worship are being addressed and criticized correctly . . . replace this thread with a name of your idols and observe the torrents of abuse you and your ilks would be dishing out consistently just to defend the indefensible . . . .So much for your false supremacist theories and believe . . .Learn civility for your own good and stop shaming our ethnic group[b] consistently[/b]  . . .

Gbam!
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by Nobody: 10:19pm On Jul 18, 2011
Just to humour those that are looking for Solutions.
I come from a Village in Anambra that is on top of a hill or rather an expansive highland. And do we have erosion?

It is a fact that these kind of Erosion Menace was almost non existent in the 80s and early 90s. So why are they here now?
Secondly, if you look at most pictures of erosion sites in Anambra, they are areas bereft of trees, un-natural grassland;A strange thing for our vegetation type.

The truth is that over the past two decades we have seen development to mean the cutting down of tree and virgin forests for buildings. Many of our huge Iroko's have been either cut down for roads or some Pentecostal church mission claim that they host witches and Wizards? Dumb.

The solution I believe is to build with an Elvish Philosophy, or what i call the Elvenland. Living Among Trees.
1. We need to Recognize and Preserve Virgin Forest (Referred to as Ajo Offia, most communities still have theirs) by maping them and granting them special status.
2. We need to encourage the cultivation of trees: BY:-

a. Review our building Codes; avoid the kind of Crowding of buildings in Lagos; Adopt more spacious building requirements and Require a number of Large, medium and shrub like trees as part of legalized building requirement.

b. Introduce a certification system for the felling of trees outside reserved timber plantations; to ensure that for every tree failed due to obstruction five more are planted by the feller.

d. We need to find and recognize trees that are more than 30 years old, and retain them as Government properties under the custody of the land occupant. Trees up to 75 or 100 years old should fetch the land occupant or custodian such financial benefits as children scholarship, tax rebates, free health insurance etc.

c. Legalize the use of trees for property fencing, and extend legal status to such, recognizing the fencing of Properties by planting trees around the boundaries as property development.

d. We can make conscious efforts to line our roadways with local beautifying trees and reforest our waste lands esp. those found in Agulu and Nnanka.

In all this we do not really need federal funding except in the cases of reforestation were we need to import top soil or humus into the area. The rest have to do with peoples attitudes and government policy, guidance and commitment to the policies. No amount of concrete drainage will prevent a land slide in an area where the structural soils clay, and water is freely available to be soaked up by the soil. Only trees can hold the soil together, retain most of the water in the forest floor, and encourage runoff where there is no forest floor.
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by EzeUche(m): 10:32pm On Jul 18, 2011
^^^

You may have a point. We need our trees to hold the land. We are a forest people.
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by aljharem3: 10:35pm On Jul 18, 2011
KenGali:

Just to humour those that are looking for Solutions.
I come from a Village in Anambra that is on top of a hill or rather an expansive highland. And do we have erosion?

It is a fact that these kind of Erosion Menace was almost non existent in the 80s and early 90s. So why are they here now?
Secondly, if you look at most pictures of erosion sites in Anambra, they are areas bereft of trees, un-natural grassland;A strange thing for our vegetation type.

The truth is that over the past two decades we have seen development to mean the cutting down of tree and virgin forests for buildings. Many of our huge Iroko's have been either cut down for roads or some Pentecostal church mission claim that they host witches and Wizards? Dumb.

The solution I believe is to build with an Elvish Philosophy, or what i call the Elvenland. Living Among Trees.
1. We need to Recognize and Preserve Virgin Forest (Referred to as Ajo Offia, most communities still have theirs) by maping them and granting them special status.
2. We need to encourage the cultivation of trees: BY:-

a. Review our building Codes; avoid the kind of Crowding of buildings in Lagos; Adopt more spacious building requirements and Require a number of Large, medium and shrub like trees as part of legalized building requirement.

b. Introduce a certification system for the felling of trees outside reserved timber plantations; to ensure that for every tree failed due to obstruction five more are planted by the feller.

d. We need to find and recognize tree that are more than 30 years old, and retain them as Government properties under the custody of the land occupant. Trees up to 75 or 100 years old should fetch the land occupant or custodian such financial benefits as children scholarship, tax rebates, free health insurance etc.

c. Legalize the use of tree for property fencing, and extend legal status to such, recognizing the fencing of Properties by planting trees around the boundaries as property development.

d. We can make conscious efforts to line our roadways with local beautifying trees and reforest our waste lands esp. those found in Agulu and Nnanka.

In all this we do not really need federal funding except in the cases of reforestation were we need to import top soil or humus into the area. The rest have to do with peoples attitudes and government policy, guidance and commitment to the policies. No amount of concrete drainage will prevent a land slide in an area where the structural soils clay, and water is freely available to be soaked up by the soil. Only trees can hold the soil together, retain most of the water in the forest floor, and encourage runoff where there is no forest floor.

good point but do u think that such policies would be partised by the navties
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by hackney(m): 10:38pm On Jul 18, 2011
ak47mann:

go suck your mother angry angry angry angry

your father.

grin grin grin grin gringrin grin grin grin grin
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by Nobody: 10:42pm On Jul 18, 2011
@Alj_Harem, I assume you meant Natives.
My answer is yes. Like Ezeuche said, we are Forest People. And Traditionally have cultural abohrrence that protect forests before the white man came. it might interest you to know that uptil now, a particular undying tree is still used as land beacon in rural areas instead of the government registered beacons. If government recognize such, it will encourage tree planting. Applying it in Urban areas is a queston of government implementation only.
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by hackney(m): 10:47pm On Jul 18, 2011
The region needs reservoirs and good drainage networks in strategic areas.

Tree or no tree, the flood will still flow because it rains heavily and rivers burst their banks etc.
It may not corrode the soil if theres vegitation but the flood will impact on civil structures so planting trees without correct drainage is not a complete solution.
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by aljharem3: 10:51pm On Jul 18, 2011
KenGali:

@Alj_Harem, I assume you meant Natives.
My answer is yes. Like Ezeuche said, we are Forest People. And Traditionally have cultural abohrrence that protect forests before the white man came. it might interest you to know that uptil now, a particular undying tree is still used as land beacon in rural areas instead of the government registered beacons. If government recognize such, it will encourage tree planting. Applying it in Urban areas is a queston of government implementation only.
ok you point taking. thanks

your idea is actually very good wink well thought of
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by Nobody: 10:54pm On Jul 18, 2011
@ Hackney
In rural areas we we have few houses, there is adequate natural drainage. My Village which I mentioned earlier has about five small rivers draining the area. Of course in Urban areas like AWKA or ONITSHA or NNEWI, EKWULUOBIA you need drainage, because human buildings block the natural drainage pattern.

The problem is that when you mordify the natural paths of runoff, especially blocking them, or making the soil loose to drink the water, the underlyng clay absorbs the water, losses its solidity and begins to move (Soil Mechanics and Bingham Plastic properties of clay). That leads to significant land movements.

For surface erosion during run off, only trees can help. thats why between Enugu and Nsukka you have large government funded Cashew tree plantations beside the roads.
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by delicious1(m): 12:56am On Jul 19, 2011
Why can't they evacuate everyone along those erosion fault lines. From those pictures, wonder why any right thinking person would want to build a home along those erosion prone areas. Most erosions occur there due to deforestation and climate change.

The whole topography of that region needs to be studied further. Where are the environmentalists when you need them.
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by Kobojunkie: 3:26am On Jul 19, 2011
KenGali:

Not a fact!!! These Erosions have been around as far back as the early 90's, yes in Anambra. I remember going there in the 90's and witnessing of some the biggest gullies I ever seen in my life. I was amazed at how people lived as if they were not even perturbed by that huge presence, as they lived their lives and continued to build in the area.

http://iahs.info/redbooks/a194/iahs_194_0407.pdf

http://iahs.info/redbooks/a144/iahs_144_0335.pdf

www.nassnig.org/nass/votesenate.php?id=207
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by EkoIle1: 3:53am On Jul 19, 2011
jmaine (m)

Overwhelming gully pathway Shocked Shocked Shocked . . . Part of this problem is due to the irresponsible activities of construction companies who excavate earth for their routine projects . . .All they did was just harvest, harvest and harvest with no precaution given to the environmental impacts of their unsustainable exploitation . . . And they still visit there often to collect more earth for their own selfish need without regards to the souls living along those affected zones . . .

The issue is not lack of regulatory laws or framework to monitor their activities, but it is the average non-chalance of people to environmental issues,especially not when directly affected .The government at all level in the federation need to make stern adherence to laws, especially environmental laws in this context

What was the former eastern Nigeria comprises the states in the southeast zone and some states of the south south. The area has peculiar geomorphic and geologic as well as soil features that make the area quite amenable to gully erosion. The famous rainforest belt has been deforested to over 80%. Average annual rainfall is up to 2000 mm. People, particularly those of the southeast and some areas of south south are already afraid of what the annual impending evil rituals of flooding, gully erosion and landslides.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200103250100.html

You people are very disgusting, you are quick to blame other people for common natural disaster, but you are here lying about the obvious. We all know the Eastern part of Nigeria is geologically unstable, the whole area is naturally prone to erosion, mudslides and landslides.

And the same ignorant illiterates are quick to trash Fashola for planting trees when the dumbos should be out there planting trees to save their region from getting washed away,

Is okocha going to catch another plane to Lagos and go learn from Fashola how to plant trees?

Petty, misguided, shameless and backward people
Re: Landslide Gulps 13 Buildings, Sacks 28 Families In Anambra by Kobojunkie: 3:57am On Jul 19, 2011
Yes, planting of tress REPLACES the need for adequate drainage systems in a COASTAL CITY, point taken! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

National Power Grid Collapsed 3 Times In First 20days Of January - Investigation / Pump Price Increase Likely As Landing Cost Of Petrol ‘rises Above’ N145 / Seriake Dickson Is Best Nigerian Gov. Says Secondus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.