Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,608 members, 7,851,073 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 01:06 PM

Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion (52169 Views)

Governor Sanwo-Olu Witnesses The Arrival Of CMA CGM SCANDOLA At Lekki Port / Lagos Promises To Complete $1.5bn Lekki Port’s Six-Lane Highway / First Largest Container Vessel Berth In Onne Port After 12 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by zionstaar75: 4:29pm On Oct 31, 2022
Brendaniel:

I never said Lagos should build for others, I only said it is not necessary for an additional port in Lagos. The FG should try and ensure other ports are functioning to decongest Lagos. .
since the other governors are useless what should the federal government do?Will rivers state say it doesn't have money? Or delta state but they'll rather steal it so how is that federal government problem?

5 Likes

Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by Brendaniel: 4:30pm On Oct 31, 2022
omonnakoda:

You keep parroting congestion in Lagos without logic

The reality is which FG should have built port in other regions
Buhari
Jonathan
Obasanjo
or Abacha

and with which money?

Tell us which FG project should have been scrapped instead just one please?

Maybe if you say they should not have built Abuja I might agree

The reality is the FG has not had that kind of money for a long time

Even the Lagos Port they just milk without putting anything into Lagos since 1991 allowing the infrastructure to decay

And which money did they use to build railway to Niger Republic?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by Nobody: 4:30pm On Oct 31, 2022
Brendaniel:
The truth is when you put National interest first, this port was not necessary for Lagos state as at now, Lagos is very tight and congested causing a lot of pain and hardship on commuters with accidents of containers falling of trailers, this port would have been better utilised in other regions of the country in dire need of working ports to reduce the menace In Lagos and also open other regions to easy import and export.

What you said is true, however it's up to the investors to decide where they want to invest. There was a small project we were doing outside of Lagos and the demands and frustration we received from the community was unimaginable. That same project was ran with less issues in Lagos.

8 Likes

Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by nurudeen181(m): 4:30pm On Oct 31, 2022
Brendaniel:
The truth is when you put National interest first, this port was not necessary for Lagos state as at now, Lagos is very tight and congested causing a lot of pain and hardship on commuters with accidents of containers falling of trailers, this port would have been better utilised in other regions of the country in dire need of working ports to reduce the menace In Lagos and also open other regions to easy import and export.
this port would have been better utilised in other regions of the country in dire need of working ports to reduce the menace In Lagos and also open other regions to easy import and export oga why you no say make them dey use railway to transport containers instead of road... dont worry, otger regions too will get over crowded and thesame will begin to happen

1 Like

Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by Brendaniel: 4:31pm On Oct 31, 2022
zionstaar75:
since the other governors are useless what should the federal government do?Will rivers state say it doesn't have money? Or delta state but they'll rather steal it so how is that federal government problem?

Projects of national interest do not require the FG to wait for the state....
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by Reference(m): 4:32pm On Oct 31, 2022
omonnakoda:
Maybe I have a different understanding of WAYS and MEANS/ You are not communicating. What do you mean by that?

Business is not sentiment

The FG has no money for infrastructure. Maybe it did under GEJ when oil prices were high. Did he build any port or major infrastructure in the South of the country?
The fundamental problem with Apapa and Tin Can are the road infrastructure . If there was a rail link to an inland dry dock there would be no issues but for years the FG milked the port without reinvesting to ensure sustainability rather all the money was taken to Abuja and shared. Imagine a situation where Dangote now had to build the expressway

What is needed is rail lines to evacuate the port not roads

By the way the Longest coastline and best place for a port in Nigeria is Ondo state but that has not been developed because of animosity for the SW. It is central and more logical to have a rail link from there to the North than Lagos Ibadan but Lagos has first mover advantage

Ways and means, means ways and means...... grin aka government abracadabra.... like the one that has been going on in the CBN.... printing money without commensurate productivity leading to the kind of inflation you must surely be feeling.... aren't you?

Or in this case government abracadabra that makes them appear to invest heaven and earth in a PPP while not exactly putting up a farthing. All it does is to print invoices and pull out laws from its top hat that mandates this payment and that payment.... and voila its says it waives them as its equity..... grin grin....gorrit?
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by omonnakoda: 4:32pm On Oct 31, 2022
Brendaniel:

I'm not blaming the state, but only pointing out the necessity with Lagos and Nigeria as a whole, it's the federal government I'm blaming for not helping other regions to reduce the burden on citizens...
Help how? be specific

2 Likes

Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by omonnakoda: 4:33pm On Oct 31, 2022
Reference:

Ways and means, means ways and means...... grin aka government abracadabra.... like the one that has been going on in the CBN.... printing money without commensurate productivity leading to the kind of inflation you must surely be feeling.... aren't you?

Or in this case government abracadabra that makes them appear to invest heaven and earth in a PPP while not exactly putting up a farthing. All it does is to print invoices and pull out laws from its top hat that mandates this payment and that payment.... and voila its says it waives them as its equity..... grin grin....gorrit?
How does ways and means produce dollars?

1 Like

Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by Nobody: 4:34pm On Oct 31, 2022
Sasi54:
I swear the love that I am having for this country is increasing everyday, Nigeria must be great

undecided
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by Brendaniel: 4:34pm On Oct 31, 2022
abokikhalifa:

No doubt. But what is stopping your governors from developing sea ports

Corruption and unseriousness, but my state does not have a sea....
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by omonnakoda: 4:34pm On Oct 31, 2022
Brendaniel:

And which money did they use to build railway to Niger Republic?
Very good question
Have they built it?

5 Likes

Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by Nobody: 4:35pm On Oct 31, 2022
Ololademrmoney2:
Obe

And the collector of Owo mi da?
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by Brendaniel: 4:36pm On Oct 31, 2022
omonnakoda:
Very good question
Have they built it?

That's what I'm telling you, why didn't the FG as a matter of necessity build sea ports for other regions like they built railway to Niger Republic?
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by ekeneewere(m): 4:36pm On Oct 31, 2022
AHEAD of the commissioning of the $1.5billion Lekki Deep Seaport next month, the Port has been handed over to Tolarams Group by China Harbours, the contractor that constructed the facility

WHO IS TOLARAMS GROUP IN THIS WHOLE SCENERIO? WHY NOT HAND OVER THE PORT TO LAGOS STATE GOVERNMENT?

JUST ASKING NIOOO
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by ppogba: 4:39pm On Oct 31, 2022
Brendaniel:

You can make your points without insulting, the truth is the FG is playing the ostrich with those ports in other regions, if they wanted them working they would have done it a long time ago....

Questions:
1. Was there an incentive that the FG provided to the private investors that built this that has not being provided to or denied other investors willing to build this in other regions?
2. Are the Governors of states willing to have same done enough to attract similar investments?
3. Will the FG of Nigeria ever stopped playing the ostrich?

Investors in Nigeria are like ants. Only willingness especially and commitments by responsible state govts. attracts them.
There is nothing Lagos has to attract this type of investment that a state like Delta does not have.

6 Likes

Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by Benwallt(m): 4:40pm On Oct 31, 2022
Brendaniel:

I'm not blaming the state, but only pointing out the necessity with Lagos and Nigeria as a whole, it's the federal government I'm blaming for not helping other regions to reduce the burden on citizens...
federal government that can not help themselves. It is high time each states in the country look inward and Help themselves. See federal roads across the country, almost all is death trap.

2 Likes

Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by Brendaniel: 4:41pm On Oct 31, 2022
ppogba:

Questions:
1. Was there an incentive that the FG provided to the private investors that built this that has not being provided to or denied other investors willing to build this in other regions?
2. Are the Governors of states willing to have same done enough to attract similar investments?
3. Will the FG of Nigeria ever stopped playing the ostrich?

Investors in Nigeria are like ants. Only willingness especially and commitments by responsible state govts. attracts them.
There is nothing Lagos has to attract this type of investment that a state like Delta does not have.

So are trying to tell me that the FG cannot do a project without private investors?
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by viodemus: 4:43pm On Oct 31, 2022
Reference:

Nigeria is a very expensive place to do stuff and the simple reason for this is that we are an 'industrialization' desert.
The things that make those projects cheaper in those places are all related to local content. Those countries make or manufacture a lot of the things that go into production, construction or installation.

Here, I think all we produce in such volumes that is relevant to engineering projects is cement. That's all. That is why Dangote despite having a plethora of factories is 'sweating' to get his petro-complex finished, the bulk material used for the works is steel, not cement so he has to pay premium to get it done.

It remains strategically naive to ignore the metals and metallurgical industry if a nation wants to develop in a competitive manner. Even countries without the raw materials needed to produce stuff master their steel industries before venturing and diverting into more complex production plants. The railways, refineries, industrial plants, power stations, etc are all heavily reliant on metals.

This fact is lost on Nigeria with the moribund, serially bungled Ajaokuta unending nightmare. The poster child for all that is holding us back as an underdeveloped, third world country. Sometimes it feels like a some sick, dark cloud of voodoo is hanging over that place.

spot on chairman.

I don't know why they are not reviving ajaokuta steel mill. Imagine we had some serious expertise in construction and all around industrialization like you pointed out, and also if we were less corrupt (am sure corruption added to the expense of this project; we could have built this ourselves with minimal import, and I can bet the amount would have been $150 million max. We could have built 10 of these in various parts of the country.

I heard that china built that disputed island by the Philippines, for about $1.5 billion, it included electricity for the island and the various barracks there, superb drainage, and all kinds construction for the military defense and offence.

We have a long way to go, and we haven't serviced the car yet and did other basic maintenance.
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by omonnakoda: 4:44pm On Oct 31, 2022
Brendaniel:

That's what I'm telling you, why didn't the FG as a matter of necessity build sea ports for other regions like they built railway to Niger Republic?
Have they built a railway to Niger ? Stop spreading rumors

Has it been built yes or no? You are not really talking like an adult

The FG cannot do everything . It has to make choices e.g 2nd Niger Bridge

I might ask why did they not build an airport in Ibadan?
Whether the FG builds a port elsewhere or not what has it got to do with this thread THe FG did not build this port
Yes there might be a case for a port elsewhere but there are cases for infrastructure ALL OVER the country. The FG's position is that it cannot build ports anymore

Even the one in Lagos do they invest in its maintenance?

5 Likes

Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by Brendaniel: 4:45pm On Oct 31, 2022
Benwallt:
federal government that can not help themselves. It is high time each states in the country look inward and Help themselves. See federal roads across the country, almost all is death trap.

I support you very much on this, that is my own take also, that was why I used the word National interest before I started, the importance of seaport to me is national interest, if the states are not coming forth, the FG should intervene, it is for everybody's benefit and even safety, the risk alone transporting goods over long distance...
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by Reference(m): 4:46pm On Oct 31, 2022
omonnakoda:
How does ways and means produce dollars?

Na waoh. You really intend to keep me here.
But equity is any contribution towards the actualisation of a proposal.
It does not necessarily have to be cash.
Tax waivers are equity, VAT can be equity, and anything that will normally be paid to obtain goods, services, permits and all manner of statutory obligations the investor is obliged to by law.

For instance the Lagos State government is providing land with certainly a C of O as their equity. This on its own could be 10, 20, 30 percent of the cost of the project if the investor were to seek to procure the land on its own.

This model is the best for a country like Nigeria where government is notoriously inefficient and unscrupulous with funding but offers them a leverage on what is a strategic asset. So you have a hybrid of private sector efficiency with the surety of government interest.
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by GboyegaD(m): 4:47pm On Oct 31, 2022
Brendaniel:

Unfortunately, many would not support you because they are blinded by too many things that makes no sense. Lagos residence will suffer double jeopardy as the government isn't ready to decongest the road. The Apapa menace should have thought us this but na lie, we no dey learn.
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by zoedew: 4:47pm On Oct 31, 2022
kenny714433:
wink

Normally this country should be working. Just imagine if we have 3 more seaports in other locations, like 2k+ jobs would have been created both directly and indirectly.

What about steel?
Steel is one of the highly sought materials in any construction both house and roads etc.

Just imagine building a steel factory to serve the need of 200Million Nigerians and export to other African countries.

What about Aluminium?
Check your house, 40% of your house plus kitchen utensils are made of aluminium.

But we have abundance of Iron Ore and Aluminium in their raw state.

Let me not talk of gas and coal for power. Oya, reason am. What's stopping Nigeria from growing if not nepotism?
There is no Nigeria. That leaves room for corruption. Survival instinct leads to nepotism. Until there is a Nigeria in the real sense of the word the refrain remains: Everyman for himself and God for us all.
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by Brendaniel: 4:47pm On Oct 31, 2022
omonnakoda:
[b]Have they built a railway to Niger ? [/b]Stop spreading rumors

Has it been built yes or no? You are not really talking like an adult

The FG cannot do everything . It has to make choices e.g 2nd Niger Bridge

I might ask why did they not build an airport in Ibadan?

Oga they have started building it...
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by ppogba: 4:49pm On Oct 31, 2022
Brendaniel:

So are trying to tell me that the FG cannot do a project without private investors?

Govt has no business in business.

Provide the enabling environment and collect your tax.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by omonnakoda: 4:50pm On Oct 31, 2022
Reference:

Na waoh. You really intend to keep me here.
But equity is any contribution towards the actualisation of a proposal.
It does not necessarily have to be cash.
Tax waivers are equity, VAT can be equity, and anything that will normally be paid to obtain goods, services, permits and all manner of statutory obligations the investor is obliged to by law.

For instance the Lagos State government is providing land with certainly a C of O as their equity. This on its own could be 10, 20, 30 percent of the cost of the project if the investor were to seek to procure the land on its own.

This model is the best for a country like Nigeria where government is notoriously inefficient and unscrupulous with funding but offers them a leverage on what is a strategic asset. So you have a hybrid of private sector efficiency with the surety of government interest.
What did I ask and what are you saying ? What has this got to do with ways and means

Do not mix ogbono with ewedu in a futile attempt to bamboozle
One thing at a time

I did not ask about equity an entirely different issue
The FG and LASG have equity in this port

My question was how does ways and means come in here or were you just phrase dropping?
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by Brendaniel: 4:52pm On Oct 31, 2022
ppogba:

Govt has no business in business.

Provide the enabling environment and collect your tax.

That's a lie, not with a sea port...
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by ModCaller: 4:52pm On Oct 31, 2022
ryloy:
grin

God Bless Incoming President Bola Tinubu
The Builder of Lagos

Tinubu did not make or build Lagos. Lagos has had many governors after Tinubu's tenure.

Give those governors credit for their work and stop all these rubbish Tinubu talk.

Fashola was there. Ambode was there. Now Olu is there. Yet you're all screaming Tinubu. That's a sign of real problems with reasoning.
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by ppogba: 4:53pm On Oct 31, 2022
Brendaniel:

That's a lie, not with a sea port...

Okay sir.
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by soojar(m): 4:54pm On Oct 31, 2022
DMerciful:
Rushing these projects that has lasted forever to see if it would influence elections but Nigerians are wiser!

The things that affects the common man are fuel price, exchange rates, price of a bag of rice, minimum wage, insecurity, economy etc.

APC is a fraud!

The project did not last forever.

The project started in 2017 and was supposed to last for 3 years (completed by the end of 2020). Most part of 2019 and 2020 was spent on lock down because of the pandemic (that was 2 years wasted). Now the project is ready after 2 years.

Invariably the time frame expected for completion was met.

We learn everyday.

1 Like

Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by Reference(m): 4:54pm On Oct 31, 2022
Brendaniel:

I've heard these debates for years and years in different fora and the conclusion is that there may never be a meeting point between realists, idealists and optimists. However, I have always been on the side of realism and so I say emphatically;

Yes, the government cannot successfully prosecute projects of real, strategic importance to the development of Nigeria without the private sector as lead and principal; and I stand solidly by the simple fact that the structure of the Nigeria state does not lend to productivity and so government as the operators of such a system simply cannot do 'business'. And being business minded in thought and deed is the only way to generate, draw from and project value across any society on earth.

2 Likes

Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by Reference(m): 4:55pm On Oct 31, 2022
omonnakoda:
What did I ask and what are you saying ? What has this got to do with ways and means

Do not mix ogbono with ewedu in a futile attempt to bamboozle
One thing at a time

I did not ask about equity an entirely different issue
The FG and LASG have equity in this port

My question was how does ways and means come in here or were you just phrase dropping?

Sorry I cannot help you understand.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Makinde Presents Amotekun Frame To Oyinlola On His 69th Birthday (Photos) / “Juju No Dey Work For Bank” Man Says As Native Doctor Storms Access Bank / Lagos-Based Artistes Step Out For Buhari (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.