Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,164,475 members, 7,857,793 topics. Date: Wednesday, 12 June 2024 at 01:39 AM

Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion (52187 Views)

Governor Sanwo-Olu Witnesses The Arrival Of CMA CGM SCANDOLA At Lekki Port / Lagos Promises To Complete $1.5bn Lekki Port’s Six-Lane Highway / First Largest Container Vessel Berth In Onne Port After 12 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by Brendaniel: 5:36pm On Oct 31, 2022
omonnakoda:

I think the case for ports elsewher is sentimental rather than business
This Lekki port is PURELY BUSINESS

The ineficiency in transporting goods is not becaiuse we have one port.
Lagos port is not busy

Do you know that Singapore has the busiest port in the world(anyway it was last time I checked_
Nigeria can do well with one port
However given our multiethnic nature etc I understand how a sense of fairness or sentiment can come into it but in purely technical terms looking at tonnage One port is more than enough if the correct technology and evacuation infrastructure are in place

Now with regard to Lagos ports in Tin Can and Apapa.They are not being run as business but as government parastatals which are inefficient and corrupt . Government realizes it cannot manage ports and has decided to hands off. So the FG intervention you are talking about is unrealistic.
Are we going to build ports that will thrive on state subsidy. I say it is unrealistic because even Tin Can and Apapa that are generating huge money have nothing to show. If it was being run as a business by now they would have built a rail link from those ports to different parts of the country so that Customs activity at the ports are shifted inland to increase efficiency. That is how it is done elsewhere but the ports have been milked with no reinvestment and people misdiagnose the problem
Ethiopia with 100million people is landlocked and in many ways doing better than us

Sorry I meant internal transportation in my previous response not international transportation, from your response, it' so corruption that causing the problems and it is still corruption that has made them not build in other regions in the first place, your solution is for a country with high level of corruption like Nigeria but the FG can still apply the same principle the Lagos state governmemt used in the Lekki sea port for other regions and solve the problems of people having to come Lagos to export and save cost and time...
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by Brendaniel: 5:37pm On Oct 31, 2022
omonnakoda:
So do I but let us not start on false premises
With one well functioning port we can meet our needs and even those of our neighbors

If you say FG I would ask with all the money the FG makes from TinCan and Apapa what has it invested in modernizing or upgrading

WHy has it not built dry docks with rail links in the hinterland There are many many busier ports around the world doing 10 times the tonnage Tin Can is doing.
We need to bring in private sector knowhow that does not have all the tribalism we see in NPA

Have you done export before?
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by rajiedreez: 5:39pm On Oct 31, 2022
Brendaniel:
The truth is when you put National interest first, this port was not necessary for Lagos state as at now, Lagos is very tight and congested causing a lot of pain and hardship on commuters with accidents of containers falling of trailers, this port would have been better utilised in other regions of the country in dire need of working ports to reduce the menace In Lagos and also open other regions to easy import and export.

Good, but other regions too no build their own and they have the license already
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by usen1234: 5:44pm On Oct 31, 2022
Tinubu trying to exchange his old currencies he looted in nigeria
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by omonnakoda: 5:48pm On Oct 31, 2022
Brendaniel:

I generally do not give personal information here.So to that extent your question is irrelevant
If you want to discuss practical/technical issues relating to export I will hold my own
So let us not resort to unnecessary fallacies

Switzerland is landlocked and exports a lot more than Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by Brendaniel: 5:54pm On Oct 31, 2022
omonnakoda:
I generally do not give personal information here.So to that extent your question is irrelevant
If you want to discuss practical/technical issues relating to export I will hold my own
So let us not resort to unnecessary fallacies

Switzerland is landlocked and exports a lot more than Nigeria.

Oga it not irrelevant, I don't want to argue more, if you have anybody you know that is into export who is from any other region other than south west, just ask him if wishes other regions should have a seaport or not, when you have gotten their answers, you can then come back and continue, I'm talking based on personal experience, not just me alone but exporters association, I don't want to be going back and forth with someone with no experience in the field...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by omonnakoda: 5:55pm On Oct 31, 2022
Brendaniel:

Do you know the annual budget of the Niger Delta Development Commision?
Do you know the budget for the amnesty scheme

2 Likes

Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by HUSTLER001: 5:57pm On Oct 31, 2022
tribalmall:
As Nigeria de learn from Southy n Egypt so Igboland de land from Yorubaland. Before una catch up Jesus for don return go back n return like 4 times.

I think your brain needs a remote control. I'm too intelligent to engage you in tribal issues.
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by Patrickoron(m): 6:00pm On Oct 31, 2022
Sasi54:
I swear the love that I am having for this country is increasing everyday, Nigeria must be great

It's Lagos state government project not Nigeria. The port vision was birthed with Tinubu

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by membranus: 6:01pm On Oct 31, 2022
omonnakoda:

You keep parroting congestion in Lagos without logic
Congestion if it exists is about inefficiency
There are countries with ports 10 X busier than Lagos and the Port cities have less than 100000 people. There are landlocked countries with more efficient importation infrastructure
So it is not about having ports everywhere

The reality is which FG should have built port in other regions
Buhari
Jonathan
Obasanjo
or Abacha

and with which money?

Tell us which FG project should have been scrapped instead just one please?

Maybe if you say they should not have built Abuja I might agree

The reality is the FG has not had that kind of money for a long time

Even the Lagos Port they just milk without putting anything into Lagos since 1991 allowing the infrastructure to decay

You are saying a whole FG cannot source for fund to build a standard port, in a country where a single man, the former Accountant General of the nation looted about N170bn alone.

Also where did Tolaram or Aswani/Lagos State Govt got the billion dollars to fund the building of the new modern Lekki Seaport, or where did Dangote got the fund to single handedly build the largest refinery in Africa?

Let them try the same sources of funding and build two in SS and SE.
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by ak22(m): 6:03pm On Oct 31, 2022
Sasi54:
I swear the love that I am having for this country is increasing everyday, Nigeria must be great

Even though we travel, we still have family members around. God bless Nigeria
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by omonnakoda: 6:04pm On Oct 31, 2022
Brendaniel:

Oga it not irrelevant, I don't want to argue more, if you have anybody you know that is into export who is from any other region other than south west, just ask him if wishes other regions should have a seaport or not, when you have gotten their answers, you can then come back and continue, I'm talking based on personal experience, not just me alone but exporters association, I don't want to be going back and forth with someone with no experience in the field...
With respect you are not talking factually or logical.
Anyone can claim to export , I will not discuss myself
Efficiency of exports or inefficiency in Nigeria is a function of road and rail infrastructure deficit and technology deployed at the ports as well as the obstructive and corrupt behaviour of government agencies
Not the number of ports

Akwa Ibom is a major exporter of Cocoa and it does not pass through Lagos

There is significant export activity at Onne port which is the fastest growing port in Nigeria .The limitations is delivery infrastructure So spare me this bamboozle about export experience
Different players have different export experience
Dangote is an exporter with his own infrastructure different from a person exporting one container a month. Those bottlenecks are multifactorial and not just down to number of ports

1 Like

Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by cliqtips: 6:04pm On Oct 31, 2022
DeOTR:

...her people, actually.
Yes, more like it.
Trust me it's her people. Everyone is corrupt one way or the other
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by rombija: 6:07pm On Oct 31, 2022
Brendaniel:
The truth is when you put National interest first, this port was not necessary for Lagos state as at now, Lagos is very tight and congested causing a lot of pain and hardship on commuters with accidents of containers falling of trailers, this port would have been better utilised in other regions of the country in dire need of working ports to reduce the menace In Lagos and also open other regions to easy import and export.
It is like you are pained, sorry oo.
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by Okoyedavid3(f): 6:08pm On Oct 31, 2022
Antoeni:

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2022/10/contractors-hand-over-1-5bn-lekki-port-to-owners-after-completion/

These trucks guys are already making a mess out of apapa and environs, making life difficult for people at mazamaza, alakija and abulado... Sh*ting everywhere they can lay their back ass, at beachland and badagry expressway...let lekki guys go and face same too... I taya for this so called Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by omonnakoda: 6:08pm On Oct 31, 2022
membranus:

You are saying a whole FG cannot source for fund to build a standard port, in a country where a single man, the former Accountant General of the nation looted about N170bn alone.

Also where did Tolaram or Aswani/Lagos State Govt got the billion dollars to fund the building of the new modern Lekki Seaport, or where did Dangote got the fund to single handedly build the largest refinery in Africa?

Let them try the same sources of funding and build two in SS and SE.
Has the FG been able to settle ASUU you make it sound as if building a port is the only thing the government has to do
What do you mean by a whole FG
A whole FG that cannot fund universities or arm soldiers.

Has that FG even maintained the existing port in Lagos before talking of building another one
Where did Tolaram get money? I think it was from TB Joshua. He prayed for them

2 Likes

Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by Brendaniel: 6:09pm On Oct 31, 2022
omonnakoda:
With respect you are not talking factually or logical.
Anyone can claim to export , I will not discuss myself
Efficiency of exports or inefficiency in Nigeria is a function of road and rail infrastructure deficit and technology deployed at the ports as well as the obstructive and corrupt behaviour of government agencies
Not the number of ports

Akwa Ibom is a major exporter of Cocoa and it does not pass through Lagos

There is significant export activity at Onne port which is the fastest growing port in Nigeria .The limitations is delivery infrastructure So spare me this bamboozle about export experience
Different players have different export experience
Dangote is an exporter with his own infrastructure different from a person exporting one container a month. Those bottlenecks are multifactorial and not just down to number of ports

I have told you what to do, if you have not done it, I can't make a single argument with you, because you will never understand just like someone who has never been a farmer arguing with a farmer because he studied agric and has never farmed, look I have no points to prove to you anymore till you can do what I have said...
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by 9jatriot(m): 6:10pm On Oct 31, 2022
Actually, there is. That is seriousness, ingenuity, engagement and continuity, investors like some level of certainty.

That successive governors (perhaps with the exception of Ambode) will honor all previous contracts is one of the big things that drives Lagos. The probability of APC winning an election in Lagos is very high so investors are better able to plan.

For Delta as you have used in your example, the probability of PDP winning is also very high, which leaves seriousness, continuity and ingenuity to be the ingredients lacking

Look at the case of Yaya Bello of Kogi state Vs Dangotte, such a thing always deters investors
ppogba:

Questions:
1. Was there an incentive that the FG provided to the private investors that built this that has not being provided to or denied other investors willing to build this in other regions?
2. Are the Governors of states willing to have same done enough to attract similar investments?
3. Will the FG of Nigeria ever stopped playing the ostrich?

Investors in Nigeria are like ants. Only willingness especially and commitments by responsible state govts. attracts them.
There is nothing Lagos has to attract this type of investment that a state like Delta does not have.
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by TakeNigeriaBack: 6:11pm On Oct 31, 2022
Bigchristo:
so you and who is willing to vote for PDP? God forbid BAT and ATiku tufiakwa

Obi was PDP VP candiate just a couple of years ago.Don't forget the millions of dollars stolen by Obi using his daughter's name. God forbid Obi.
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by membranus: 6:12pm On Oct 31, 2022
omonnakoda:
Has the FG been able to settle ASUU you make it sound as if building a port is the only thing the government has to do
What do you mean by a whole FG
A whole FG that cannot fund universities or arm soldiers.

Has that FG even maintained the existing port in Lagos before talking of building another one
Where did Tolaram get money? I think it was from TB Joshua. He prayed for them

Then let them go to the same TB Joshua's Church (it is still standing and active), and pray the same prayer, and get the funds, and do the needful.
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by omonnakoda: 6:13pm On Oct 31, 2022
Brendaniel:

I have told you what to do, if you have not done it, I can't make a single argument with you, because you will never understand just like someone who has never been a farmer arguing with a farmer because he studied agric and has never farmed, look I have no points to prove to you anymore till you can do what I have said...
Who are you to tell me what to do?
If you have anything sensible to say say it
Everything you are saying is just based on hatred for Lagos

You cannot make an argument with me because you lack logic

Countries like Switzerland are landlocked and export multiple what we do so if we have a problem with exports the solution is not more ports necessarily
That might help but we can improve efficiency without building any new ports if we improve our internal transport and logistics
Just look at how we transport tomatoes in Nigeria from farm to market

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by omonnakoda: 6:14pm On Oct 31, 2022
membranus:

Then let them go to the same TB Joshua's Church (it is still standing and active), and pray the same prayer, and get the funds, and do the needful.
He is dead unfortunately
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by Benwallt(m): 6:20pm On Oct 31, 2022
Brendaniel:

I support you very much on this, that is my own take also, that was why I used the word National interest before I started, the importance of seaport to me is national interest, if the states are not coming forth, the FG should intervene, it is for everybody's benefit and even safety, the risk alone transporting goods over long distance...
if we have working federal. We should have at least one standard port in each four zones in Nigeria where goods and services can be made readily available without having to travel to Lagos. It would have checked lots of things. Sadly, federal isn't federal, state isn't state. We need help.
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by winterfell007(m): 6:21pm On Oct 31, 2022
Koralords:
Na one man legacy be this after years if leaving office show me one legacy project of obi and I will vote for him ,don't waste your vote ,vote tinubu let him revamp Nigeria ,eko onibaje
Clown grin you expect me to vote someone that has empowered touts to harass transport drivers which resulted in paying exorbitant fees that’s indirectly affecting us here in Lagos, you must be a clown to think we’ll vote for such a person
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by Bigchristo: 6:24pm On Oct 31, 2022
TakeNigeriaBack:

Obi was PDP VP candiate just a couple of years ago.Don't forget the millions of dollars stolen by Obi using his daughter's name. God forbid Obi.
Shut up your mouth idiot, if Obi has stole millions as alleged then you can come out with your verifiable proves not this your gullible write mumu
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by voltron14: 6:27pm On Oct 31, 2022
Megabig:

They will tag you crazy or something, we all know this, build ports in other places to decongest a city and open up other states that’s how America developed so well.

Lagos shouldn't have built a port?

grin

Jokers.
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by voltron14: 6:28pm On Oct 31, 2022
omonnakoda:
Rather than quoting without a source tell us the point you are making .
I note you are referencing somthing from 2013 under Jonathan

The reality is that this port

Was delivered by Private money

Neither Lagos State nor the Federal government put in one Naira

Yes GEJ's government made a lot of NOISE about infrastructure like a port at Ibaka, 2nd Niger Bridge Port at Lekki etc none of which m
aterialized

The arrangement here is that Tolaram funded the Port 100%

LASG provided land and was responsible for paying compensation to land owners

Lagos actually enticed Tolaram to the place.

That's how development is done.

1 Like

Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by Kingcalls: 6:30pm On Oct 31, 2022
jobgbemi:

But Calabar was a capital too now

Calabar was a capital b4 the amalgamation of Nigeria.... what sort of development wud u hv seen in 1906... calabar was capital for 13yrs when around the first time airplane or a motor vehicle was ever made ... u wanna use it to compare lagos that was capital for almost 90 yrs ...when inventions and development hit the world with alarming rate.... calabar was removed as capital 50 yrs after oil was discovered in Nigeria.... lagos benefited the most...thats y Ikoyi is number 1 , thats were the Governor General and the colonial masters lived ....so stop this Tinubu developing lagos nonsense...
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by Brendaniel: 6:30pm On Oct 31, 2022
omonnakoda:
Who are you to tell me what to do?
If you have anything sensible to say say it
Everything you are saying is just based on hatred for Lagos

You cannot make an argument with me because you lack logic

Countries like Switzerland are landlocked and export multiple what we do so if we have a problem with exports the solution is not more ports necessarily
That might help but we can improve efficiency without building any new ports if we improve our internal transport and logistics

I wanted to explain somethings here but I will leave you to wallow in your ignorance, in statistics and science there is something called random sampling, I made a point and you countered it, Like I said earlier I don't want to go back and forth with you because you have no experience of export in Nigeria, random sampling of other people's experience in the same field will help you, I'm not telling you to agree with me, the only thing I'm telling you to do is ask others in the same business, you are using Dangote and akwa ibom as an example as though those are SME's into export, if you are intelligent as you claim you will sample data from as many exporters as possible if my claim is true or not, not arguing without having any experience at all, prove me wrong with other raw Nigeria data of personal experience and not based on your own analysis, that is what a good solution provider will do, you are like a spectator watching a match that is blaming the players on the field and you have never even entered the pitch before, please prove me wrong with other exporters experience in Nigeria....
Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by chemicalwasiu(m): 6:30pm On Oct 31, 2022
I love you for this message. It's been long I see a Nigerian with positive energy like you not all these prematures on nairaland who only see the negative in my beloved nigeria
Sasi54:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by Brendaniel: 6:31pm On Oct 31, 2022
Benwallt:
if we have working federal. We should have at least one standard port in each four zones in Nigeria where goods and services can be made readily available without having to travel to Lagos. It would have checked lots of things. Sadly, federal isn't federal, state isn't state. We need help.

My point exactly....

1 Like

Re: Contractors Hand Over $1.5bn Lekki Port After Completion by Kingcalls: 6:37pm On Oct 31, 2022
abbey621:

Literally the area in discussion was bush and swamp in 1999. All the places called Ajah, Ibeju Lekki downwards were all swamps, so mr. not urchin, educate yourself grin grin grin

I still say that most of u just came to lagos... which swamp are u talking about... all those Ajah down to Ibeju lekki was a project the past military government created bk on the 80s ... people were already living in those areas that time, they had good roads, water and electricity..... as more peole troop into lagos , it will mosdef increase in development...it has nothing to do with Tinubu ...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

“Juju No Dey Work For Bank” Man Says As Native Doctor Storms Access Bank / Shiite Muslims Arrested With Petrol Bombs, Hard Drugs. Photos / States That Would Be Hot During This Governorship Elections - By Lalasticlala

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.