Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,224 members, 7,815,280 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:10 AM

Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? (13895 Views)

Niger-delta What Next / Niger-delta What Next / Katsina Stoning: Niger Delta “ll Retaliate, Says Dokubo Asari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by Odeku(m): 1:46pm On May 04, 2006
Ono that is disgusting, planting bomb by this miscreant will not solved any problem, the matter should be taking up by the state elected officials and the governor, They elect the governor and the officials to speak for them, this youths should go after their elected officials, if they are not effective kick them out and choose people who will speak and represent them to the fullest level.
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by maki(f): 3:09pm On May 04, 2006
ono, am feeling your pains and anger

feeling same way
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by ono(m): 5:29pm On May 04, 2006
Thanks, Maki. How are you?
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by Seun(m): 8:43pm On May 04, 2006
I'd like to suggest a speedy solution to the Niger Delta crisis. The MEND boys should bomb the American Embassy. After the hail of bombing that will immediately follow such action, the situation will be fully resolved.
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by Odeku(m): 10:20pm On May 04, 2006
hell no you bomb American embassy and Innocent Nigerians will pay the price don't mess with USA Look at what is going on in IRAQ, and we all remember what happen to Libya in the 90s
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by Seun(m): 10:41pm On May 04, 2006
hell no you bomb American embassy and Innocent Nigerians will pay the price

Innocent Nigerians are already paying the price. Innocent Nigerians have died in the recent pipeline explosions and car bombings. There is no form of violence that will not result in the death of innocent Nigerians.
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by Jakumo(m): 8:00am On May 05, 2006
Ono your call for MEND operatives to bomb areas of Lagos or Abuja rather than Port Harcourt or Warri will not further the cause of seeking justice for the Niger Delta, since many folks who have never worked for or benefitted in any way from Nigeria's oil industry will inevitably wind up dead or mangled in such attacks.

Similarly I would remind Nwoke that America's NSA ( National Security Agency ) actively monitors all electronic communications world-wide, and the key words in Nwoke's last post suggesting a bombing of the United States embassy in Lagos or Abuja would automatically actuate recording devices and close scrutiny of the writer's IP address, GPS coordinates and identity, regardless of the context in which such a call was made.
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by ono(m): 8:17am On May 05, 2006
Jakumo:

Ono your call for MEND operatives to bomb areas of Lagos or Abuja rather than Port Harcourt or Warri will not further the cause of seeking justice for the Niger Delta, since many folks who have never worked for or benefitted in any way from Nigeria's oil industry will inevitably wind up dead or mangled in such attacks.

Similarly I would remind Nwoke that America's NSA ( National Security Agency ) actively monitors all electronic communications world-wide, and the key words in Nwoke's last post suggesting a bombing of the United States embassy in Lagos or Abuja would automatically actuate recording devices and close scrutiny of the writer's IP address, GPS coordinates and identity, regardless of the context in which such a call was made.

Bros,
A lot of my people have been mangled by long years of neglect and deprivation. It's even the offsprings of these mangled ones that are causing this mayhem in the Delta. The resources of our lands were used to build up Abuja and Lagos. Let those places have a little bit of the trouble we're facing in here, hopefully they'll appreciate the gravity of their sins against our people.

Much as I detest these bombings, I cannot but praise these boys for having the courage to prove to Nigerians and the world in general that there's an internal colonisation going on in Nigeria.
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by Odeku(m): 2:00pm On May 05, 2006
There is not courage in bombing innocent people and destroying government property, they are cowards and should be brought to justice one way or the other, Americans did not mismanaged the funds in Nigeria . the past leaders and rulers are to be blame for the problem in the Delta. If this so called Barbarians are so brave and intelligent. they will know to go and seek answer from their past leaders and congressman what happen to the revenue allocation they get from the government monthly.
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by DaHitler(m): 10:14am On May 08, 2006
Where were MEND and the others when Abacha was around?

It is interesting to see the thugs come out when there is a civilized government in place. If the Nation goes into Anarchy and the degenerate generals use this as an opportunity to stage a coup, I wonder if the MEND and others would be "brave" enough to fight against a military regime.
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by maki(f): 10:20am On May 08, 2006
ono:

Thanks, Maki. How are you?

am fine bros, ride on!!
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by slimnike(m): 2:02pm On May 10, 2006
I think the best way the Federal Government will take them serious is when they bomb the house of assembly or aso rock.
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by Odeku(m): 2:22pm On May 10, 2006
Thank you Afeni, they are cowards like I said just seizing this opportunity to be ignorance.  they should go after their elected officials if they have issues and stop killing innocent people.  there are civilize way of doing things.
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by giddy(m): 3:16pm On May 10, 2006
Laziness and nothing else
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by maki(f): 3:55pm On May 10, 2006
giddy:

Laziness and nothing else

what are you talking about, Mr angry
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by loma(m): 7:56pm On May 10, 2006
US oil worker killed in Nigeria

A US oil worker has been shot dead in the troubled southern Nigerian city of Port Harcourt.
Rivers State Police Commissioner Samuel Agbetuyi told the BBC attackers on a motorbike shot the man as he was driving his car early on Wednesday.

The BBC's Abdullahi Kaura Abubakar says this is first time a foreigner has been killed in a drive-by shooting in the Niger Delta.

No group has claimed responsibility. Police are investigating the shooting.

The man's name has been withheld. He worked for oil servicing company Baker Hughes Inc.

In recent months, militants in the southern Niger Delta region have kidnapped foreign oil workers and warned them to leave the Delta. They want more local control of the region's oil wealth.

The upsurge of attacks on foreign oil interests has cut the country's oil production by 20%.

The shadowy oil militants

Last month, the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (Mend) renewed its threat to continue oil installation attacks.

It said the offer of thousands more jobs and a new motorway from President Olusegun Obasanjo did not address their demands for more local control of oil wealth and demilitarisation.

The shooting follows two car bomb attacks in recent weeks.

The Mend militant group claimed responsibility for them, saying the last one was a warning against Chinese expansion in the region.

Earlier that week, Chinese President Hu Jintao had secured four oil drilling licenses for China in return for $4bn (£2.25bn) of investment in Nigeria.

Most of its previous operations have been in the rivers and creeks of the Delta, rather than urban areas.
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by Odeku(m): 8:02pm On May 10, 2006
This Na PALAVA for those people in delta, there will be re percurtion, you don't just kill Americans and get away with it, this people are causing too much trouble for Nigeria and i am ashame of the way this issue has been handle till now, why cant Mr president deploy mobile police or army to the street in Delta and deal with this hooligans once and for all. Nigeria is a country of peace and killing innocent people is a barbaric act.
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by DaHitler(m): 9:48am On May 11, 2006
The Federal Government needs to send in the troops before they begin any economic development projects. If you start building roads before you have crushed the degenerates you would only send the message that anyone that is not satisfied with the current situation of the the country should go out in search of foreigners to kill.

And I was planning to return back home in about 10 years to open some manufacturing plants, but with all this instability, I might have to wait for at least 20 years for things to settle down.
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by ono(m): 10:26am On May 11, 2006
@Afeni, you'd better don't think of coming home anyway. Why bother about home when you've got all you need in the US?

You know, what I don't understand with this lopsided country called Nigeria is why some tribes feels they have the audacity and temerity to tell us in the Nigerdelta what developmental projects we need, when to put in place, how to go about it and all that thrash. They even carry on as if the folks in the Delta are people living in the iceage or is it stoneage?

Imagine someone saying ''
Afeni:

The Federal Government needs to send in the troops before they begin any economic development projects.

Who's the Federal Govt, if I may ask? Well, if you say it's the ''body'' representing the whole country, I'll tell you that that body does not include the people of the Niger delta in it. It's at best composed of misguided elements, predominantly of the northern and south-western blocks of the country, who are just after their own selfish interests and agenda in a failed nation called Nigeria.

OBJ said he'll flag off the dualisation of the East-West road this May + other juicy projects meant to soothen frayed nerves in the delta - just like dangling a carrot!, we're already in the second week and counting, there's no visible sign that he'll come to do that. Instead, we are hearing of his plans to visit the Moon, just like a misguided, rotund and doublespeak man we all know of him.

The other day, I heard on the news how the FG has spent over N50billion in renovating and constructing old and new roads respectively all over Ogun, Kwara, Oyo and Lagos states. How much does Ogun generates into the nation's purse, Kwara too and Oyo, how much do they generate to warrant such massive construction works across these states?

But the only road linking the three important oil producing states of Delta, Bayelsa, Rivers and Akwaibom - the East West road is in a sorry state.
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by DaHitler(m): 11:15am On May 11, 2006
The Federal Government represents all Nigerians. Do not expect equal representation under a democratic government when the Niger-Deltan people combined only account for 10 percent or less of the nations population.
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by owo(m): 12:33pm On May 11, 2006
@ Afeni, its obvious you have not read the discourse on this thread up to the point you joined with your skewed suggestions. Pray that you have not bitten more that you can chew.

Please do yourself the good favour of getting a balanced understanding of events, issues, precedents and simple projections into the immediate or remote future, it will do you a lot of good.

You have stated that
Afeni:
Niger-Deltan people combined only account for 10 percent or less of the nations population.
Which census gave you the figures? Do you even know the geographical location called Niger Delta? If indeed it has less than 10% of the population, then, is it not a marvel that it has been sustaining the remaining 90% of the population with its resources (for the past forty years).? How come all the 90% are so ungrateful that they seek its extermination- are they cannibals?

Afeni:

The Federal Government needs to send in the troops before they begin any economic development projects. If you start building roads before you have crushed the degenerates you would only send the message that anyone that is not satisfied with the current situation of the the country should go out in search of foreigners to kill.
May this prayer be fulfilled in your village, town and state (wherever that may be) - if the above statement really reflect your heart's desire.
If you seek the extermination of remaining people that Nigeria's scorch-earth policy has left in the Niger Delta, then may your prayers be answered speedily with your community as the recipient of the venom you propose.

Afeni:

Where were MEND and the others when Abacha was around?

It is interesting to see the thugs come out when there is a civilized government in place. If the Nation goes into Anarchy and the degenerate generals use this as an opportunity to stage a coup, I wonder if the MEND and others would be "brave" enough to fight against a military regime.
Were you alive when Saro Wiwa was killed by Abacha? Is there any other single factor that contributed most to Nigeria's International Isolation?. Did shell ever enter Ogoni Land through-out the Abacha era to produce a single barrel of crude? Was that not during the height of the military era? Yet, do you know that the single largest investment in Nigeria's Oil and Gas industry was made at that time and in the Niger Delta?

If you have even gone ahead to use the term, civilised, to refer to this government despite its loads of atrocities and current immoral scheming for third term, then, you surely need to look at your basis of reasoning more than once.

We insist thatyour assertions are wrong and wholly wrong for that matter.
We insist that the Niger Delta is not looking for alms, pity, favour, handout outs, allocation, projects or what ever level of benevolence the government has to offer.
Rather, we seek our due, which is, the control of our men, materials and resources for the attainment of a great future which is controlled by us (God helping us) and not controlled by any other person, group of persons, system or entity.
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by DaHitler(m): 1:10pm On May 11, 2006
First of all, I never said the Niger-Delta people should be exterminated. I said that hoodlums that are causing trouble should be dealt with. Now, as far as I can tell, there are only a hand full of "Youths" (more like Armed robbers and Degenerates) that are causing the instability in the delta.

Also, even if the oil wealth was to be given to these aggressive breed of area boys, what are they going to do with it?
Honestly, what are they going to do with it?
Do you really think that possessing oil money is enough to build a successful society?
For all I know, the education level of the area is not that high for them to make sufficient use of their resources. I even remember reading that the oil companies have to recruit people from other southern States to fill the brain-drain that they are experiencing in the area. And I actually believe this statement, when the people are not asking their States and Local Governments to lobby the National Assembly and the Executive branch to ensure that the oil companies are held accountable for environmental destruction. Instead, all I see is people whining about "self determination" when they are not making proper use of what they have allocated to them. Face it, the Niger-Deltans are there own enemies.

Aren't these the same people that were celebrating the return of Ex Governor Adellesina (Bad spelling, sue me!) after he stole millions of dollars from the State?

Stop looking around to find out who your true enemies are. All you need to do is look at the Local Government and State Government officials that feel that you are too stupid to hold them accountable for their theft.
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by ono(m): 2:27pm On May 11, 2006
I think this Afeni chap is better of when ignored. There's no point in joining issues with him.

But on a second thought, it will do you well to listen to my brother, Owo and read previous entries on this matter. Maybe then you'd be in better position to say anything worthwhile.
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by owo(m): 2:29pm On May 11, 2006
@Afeni,
you are certainly light years away from reality. Read up, visit around and get some life.

I am from the Niger Delta, and I sure do not sound like whatever you have in your stereotyped view.

Sorry, you need to bring yourself up to speed before we can discuss. If all you know is what you have stated, then you are doing yourself a great dis-service by coming into the public arena to show your lack of information and exposure.

In this day and age, you can only blame yourself for staying un-informed or without knowledge.

To be candid, you sound more of a man that is willingly ignorant. Please desist from stating these wrong conclusions of yours.

I therefore maintain that your views and conclusions on issues that have to do with the Niger Delta are baseless, uninformed and at best tribalistic. They are therefore wrong, totally wrong and wholly unacceptable.
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by Seun(m): 4:48am On May 12, 2006
I'm with Afeni on this one.
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by jagwar: 10:02pm On May 14, 2006
All this talk about bombin and killing innocent ppl is totally unacceptable. Like i have said much much earlier in this thread there is only one way to solve this problem (politically). If u guys insist on using violence i'm really sorry for u, as u might b aware[b] Nigeria is beginning to purchase [/b] armament & unmanned survailance systems from Isreal. We all know how effective these israeli gadgets are. Those who insist on fighting will be wiped out in a matter of weeks, amen grin & good ridance to those who can think of nothing but destruction & barbaric behaviour.
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by DaHitler(m): 5:37am On May 15, 2006
I take back my previous stance. After doing a lot of reading. The states that produce the oil should keep 80 percent of whatever they make. The remaining 20 percent would be payed as tax to the federal government. The people in other non-oil producing States have no right to demand an equal share of the oil from those territories. Honestly, this oil has turned us into lazy monsters and our over dependence on this substance has caused our other sectors to be neglected. Despite having so much all, the standard of living in Nigeria is below that of Benin Republic, Ghana and even civl war wrecked Ivory Coast.

The central government should also be weakened. Then 3 regions should be carved withing the State (using the rivers) and in each region the States would pay 10 percent Tax that would be used for national defense of the Region. Nigeria would remain one in name only.

Edit: And if the States that posses the oil are too stupid to make proper use of it, the money from the oil would just end up being spend in Lagos and other major non-Deltan cities.
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by owo(m): 1:53pm On May 15, 2006
@Afeni
I'm sorry that I have to send this on a public thread for want of a direct communication with you.
Thank you for deciding to read. All your posts (not just on this thread) have positively improved.

However, never forget that having begun, the greatest harm you can do to yourself is to drop it later.

Peace
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by DaHitler(m): 1:55pm On May 15, 2006
The biggest factor is due to the influence of the North. If every State gets to keep what they make, the North would have no reason to stick around (A very good thing in my opinion).
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by jagwar: 11:23pm On May 15, 2006
owo:

Yet, do you know that the single largest investment in Nigeria's Oil and Gas industry was made at that time and in the Niger Delta?

Oh wow & what happened to all that investment?? or did the N-deltans blow it up like the pipelines as usual?? The issue of getting 80% of oil revenue is rather rediculous. Did u manufacture the crude oil? U guys just happen to hav oil under your territory within Nigeria & i assure u that if it were left to u to handle there will be squabbles among ur ppl like evry other mineral rich african country (Liberia, Ivory coast). What priorities u hav by the way, calling for the release of the likes of alamiesegha. pls spare me
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by debosky(m): 11:35pm On May 15, 2006
The Niger Delta has been denied its due, that is not in question, to talk of percentages, 20, 30 or 40%, well i don't really know. What i do know is they've been getting 13% for almost 8 years now, most of them get the equivalent of 4 other non-producing states put together. What has been the impact of this? The N-D leaders are also part of the problem, by not using the funds they have to develop their areas. Not to say that there are some 'geniuses' in Abuja who know how to use this money properly. My opinion? give Niger Deltans 30%, lets see how well they manage that. Meanwhile, you guys should hold your leaders accountable.
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by Odeku(m): 1:34pm On May 16, 2006
Hell no don't give them no more money look at what happen in Delta state, you give them more money and the governors and his entourage will embezzle all the money. The governor Odili should resign as he cant control his state

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

"There's Only One Option, Democracy" - CDS, Maj. Gen. Christopher Musa / 36 Speakers And Their Deputies Meet In Enugu / Suspension Of Twitter: SERAP To Sue Buhari's Government

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.