Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,196 members, 7,815,169 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:28 AM

Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? (13894 Views)

Niger-delta What Next / Niger-delta What Next / Katsina Stoning: Niger Delta “ll Retaliate, Says Dokubo Asari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by dblock(m): 8:15am On Oct 10, 2006
My reponse may be foolish but you can only beat a thief if you know how a thief works, you can only defeat a lion with combat as you can only defeat this militants by force, i don't at all take your reply as an insult but rather as a reaction to my desperate suggestion -----------------peace------------ cheesy
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by dblock(m): 6:26am On Oct 11, 2006
Link: http://odili.net/news/source/2006/oct/10/814.html

This link justifies my paragraph on seperating the interests of the Niger Delta people from those of the militants, That's the immediate way to end the conflict temporarily, developing the Niger Delta to ease conflict can not work because reforms and projects can not be embarked upon under such occurennces, the militants must be disarmed maybe by force or by plea or by bribe or by trades but anyhoes they must be disarmed wink

Agwai had queried: ‘“Were they not carrying weapons? Were they supposed to carry weapons? Are they authorised? Are they constitutionally given right to carry weapons? These are the questions we have to ask ourselves. In this country, all of us have grievances. Is the only way we can address our grievances to carry weapons and fight?”
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by otokx(m): 5:04am On Oct 12, 2006
if you see a block speaking will you stay to hear it or move on?
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by Chxta(m): 5:31pm On Oct 12, 2006
One of the major problems with the Niger Delta, and indeed the entire country of Naija, is the overwhelming number of uneducated people walking the streets!

http://naijablog..com/2006/10/education-education-education.html#links
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by dblock(m): 10:55pm On Oct 12, 2006
At least there are some signs of progress, a lot of the hostages have been released and the government is paying more attetion.

[size=13pt]Minister pledges speedy execution of Niger Delta housing scheme[/size]

Minister pledges speedy execution of Niger Delta housing scheme

From Florence Oretade, Abuja

A HOUSING blueprint for the Niger Delta presented to the Federal Government on Tuesday will be aggressively implemented, the Minister of Housing, Dr. Olusegun Mimiko, has assured.

Receiving the report from the 15-man Federal Government Technical Committees on Housing Development for the Coastal States in Abuja, Mimiko said that the document would not be "left to gather dust on the shelf."

Mimiko said the development of the oil-rich region would go a long way in curbing the unrest in the area.

The government, he said, would not waste time in implementing the recommendation of the panel constituted to chart the course of solving the problem of housing in the Niger Delta.

He said: "Mr. President has demonstrated an incredible level of political will to address frontally the problem of the Niger Delta region. The solution to the region's housing has been brought to the front burner.

"A man that has a house is a fulfil man and the chances of his restiveness will also be reduced and we believe that the problem of housing in the Niger Delta can be tackled and I can assure you that Mr. President has the political will to do it."

Narrating the ordeal of the team during its visit to Kokokolo, a mangrove community in the Delta State, the panel's chairman, Mr. Fortune Ebbie, said the members saw the worst form of neglect in the area as the residents suffer in the midst of affluence.

According to him, the journey to the area on speedboat lasted for two hours before the members were paddled in a canoe covering one quarter of a kilometre followed by another one quarter kilometre walk in the mangrove before arriving in the village.

The village had no basic amenities and drink water from an 18-inche deep pond full of algae.

The village, he added, is surrounded by three oil wells but the residents send their wards to Sapele for primary education.

Ebbie charged the Federal Government not to allow the report to be treated shoddily.

Mimiko said the government would implement the panel's recommendations, including that of the stakeholders in the region.

The housing ministry, he said, would assume the role of leadership in the implementation of the report.

The committee, inaugurated on July 13, 2006, was to, among other things:

» Determine the communities in the coastal states of the Niger Delta to benefit from the intervention programme;

determine the housing needs (type and number) for each state and possibly, community in the region; and

determine the construction materials and the method of construction best suited to each state and where possible.

Source: http://odili.net/news/source/2006/oct/12/13.html
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by otokx(m): 3:35am On Oct 13, 2006
All their plans end up in paper and on the media. The dualisation of the East - West road (they talk say they go start am from lagos; bad as that talk bad) nothing dey happen. They talk say dem employ we people for NNPC; those names wey we see for paper, I never know whether na the unborn niger delta abi na de ones wey dey inside mortuary. Police and armed forces nko? Look this our country three much - the wayo of our leaders one day it will turn against them.
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by Hsmpwise(m): 9:52pm On Jan 10, 2008
Shalom!

Ladies and Gentleman, i read in the Nigerian dailies today that MEND has confirmed the presence of foreign mercenaries in the region!!

The report gives a serious cause for concern. There is no doubt that the Niger Delta is a sad case of a neglected honey pot. However, recent events indicate that the original aim of people like Isaac Boro and Ken Saro-Wiwa has been hijacked by hoodlums. This leads one to the pertinent question: can guerilla warfare solve the myriad problems of this region? Though extremely bad and highly unjustified, nevertheless, the problems of the Niger Delta is a reflection of the greater Nigerian dilemma. It is what happens when a country fails to get the type of leader it deserves. Nigeria of today is being ruled by thieves and imbeciles who care pretty little about the well-being of its citizens. To further compound things for the Niger Delta, its supposed political leaders and traditional rulers are part of the Nigerian malaise - egocentric thieves.

Having said this much, would anyone consider the introduction of guerillas as a viable alternative? What does MEND stand to gain by blowing up the Third Mainland bridge in Lagos as threatened? In the event of this happening, who bears the brunt? Common people on the streets. Would that solve the problems of the Niger Delta? Another thing to consider is the history of bush wars in world history. History has taught us that thay hardly solve any problem. Rather they create more. War has never been a viable option to any human problem, be it social or political. This is something the people of this region should seriously digest.

The ecological and environmental damages caused in this region by oil exploration, gas flaring and sundry others are too numerous to mention. It is indeed a pathetic situation that warrants urgent priority from any responsible government, but not the Nigerian government. Half-hearted approaches and lip service has been the solution proffered by the vagabonds in power in Nigeria. Nevertheless, i have a sneaky feeling that the introduction of foreign mercenaries is taking the struggle to another dimension. One that goes beyond calling attention to the problems of this region. There is something sinister behind it all. The question is, what does MEND and other militant and non-militant groups in the region really want?
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by Sammy107d(m): 3:40am On Jul 05, 2008
You are so right. What do they really want. They make unclear demands. "we want to take hold of our future, we are impoverished hence we'll destroy our wealth" do they want the federal government to send a truck load of money to them, clean up the place, withdraw from OPEC and cease oil drilling and exportation? they have to be realistic. It's a fact that budgetary allocations from the federal government are highest in the oil producing states. They say that the financing falls into corrupt hands, which by the way, are their state governments. The state governments are very silent, the people are not questioning them either. The state governments don't do enough to set and enforce environmental standards for the oil companies they host. We ask "what is the problem and what do you want?" and the general annoying answer is "go to the creeks". Initially i actually understood the motive of the MEND and I wished for the best, I still do, but how in the world can you repair your land by destroying it, reduce militarization and violence by taking up arms, and clean up by bombing, protect you locals by hijacking foreigners? How is ridding Nigeria of its wealth going to make you rich? I'm starting to doubt the motive of the MEND and i think they are becoming evil. Osama was "fighting for his people", his people might adore him, but what do you and every other person think of him. MEND is said to be fighting for its people, and they think blowing up the Mainland bridge is the way. leave Lagos other states alone and deal with the Government. I'm pissed. sad. I hope everything works out in the Niger/Delta. And I pray that the corruption at the state and federal level cease one day.
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by GeorgeD1(m): 10:56pm On Jul 22, 2009
obviously this poster doesn't know jack about the huge dimensions of the
niger delta agitation.
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by sley4life(m): 12:01am On Jul 23, 2009
FG & past military leaders are the main problem
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by sley4life(m): 12:04am On Jul 23, 2009
Nigeria is the problem
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by GeorgeD1(m): 12:55pm On Jul 26, 2009
that is being too generic. which aspect of nigeria is the problem? is it corruption?
or the ethnic factor? or one tribe trying to lord it over the others?
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by Ehoi: 1:41pm On Jul 26, 2009
George_D:

that is being too generic. which aspect of nigeria is the problem? is it corruption?
or the ethnic factor? or one tribe trying to lord it over the others?
George
The constitution have enslaved the people. The niger delta region never signed any treaty with nigeria neither were they conquered in any war yet the constitution have stolen their land and mineral resources with the Land Use Act. Their self determination right as a people have been stolen. Devolution of power or even the right to control their resources has been taken away. Even their right at the ballot to vote for a leader of their choice is being trampled under. This is modern day slavery of a people. So to your question, Nigeria and her constitution is the problem. The constitution has to be overhauled for this problem to go.
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by GeorgeD1(m): 11:53am On Jul 27, 2009
well spoken, Ehoi. now you're hitting the point home.
just look at what what is happening to the PTI reversal
story for instance. it's a big shame!
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by manmustwack: 1:58am On Dec 12, 2012
O boy if u reach niger delta u go soon sabi wetin d problem be.
Nijah sef i tire.
i close mouth

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

NDDC Probe: National Assembly May Decide Akpabio, Others Fate Today / "There's Only One Option, Democracy" - CDS, Maj. Gen. Christopher Musa / 36 Speakers And Their Deputies Meet In Enugu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.