Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,958 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:00 AM

Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? (13890 Views)

Niger-delta What Next / Niger-delta What Next / Katsina Stoning: Niger Delta “ll Retaliate, Says Dokubo Asari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by Mariory(m): 6:27pm On Aug 11, 2006
Julius Berger is now pulling out of the Niger delta region.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=55466

American firm quits Niger Delta and Nigeria

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/news/article05
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by buchio7(m): 8:08pm On Aug 11, 2006
Even wilbros is closing shop frm the area. they have even started trying to sell off there assets. Otokx over to u n ur militants
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by Orikinla(m): 6:13pm On Aug 20, 2006
As we say in the Niger Delta, fire no fit quench fire.
That is you cannot use fire to put out fire. You use water. And may God help you if the fire is not Greek fire as the gas flares or oil flames in the Niger Delta of Nigeria.

The on-going military operations to search and destroy the revolutionary militants on the streets and in the creeks of the Niger Delta are a waste of time and resources, because if you want to arrest all the suspected militants in Port Harcourt and other parts of the Niger Delta, you have to arrest every member of the host communities of the multinational oil companies. Because, the militants are struggling to put an end to the oppression and suppression of the indigenes of the Niger Delta. Enough is enough. And their cause is justified
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by ono(m): 8:03am On Aug 23, 2006
@Oriki,
That's a balanced angle to the issue at hand. However, you need to know that miscreants have truly hijacked the struggles of the Niger Delta people. It's really unfortunate.

I heard some ten MEND militants were killed in a gun battle two days ago. I must say that whatever the intention of the FG, killing these people will only escalate the problems in the area. What will STOP the activities of hoodlums and miscreants is the enthronment of true democratic structures across the land. Upholding the principles of true Federalism is the panacea we need. The inbalance in almost everything is at the root of all the problems bedevilling the land.
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by slimnike(m): 12:00pm On Aug 23, 2006
Mariory:

Julius Berger is now pulling out of the Niger delta region.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=55466

American firm quits Niger Delta and Nigeria

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/news/article05
This pulling out will surely affect the Niger Deltans.Because most of Them will lose their job.too bad.
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by owo(m): 1:06pm On Aug 24, 2006
How many Niger Deltans are in the employ of Julius Berger? How much have they contributed to the Niger Delta?

Ask those in Bonny if Julius Berger will leave their multimillion dollar contracts in NLNG.

Those who don't know the solution to the Niger Delta issue will continue to chase shadows and will always stumble at the figments of their imagination
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by Orikinla(m): 8:20pm On Aug 24, 2006
A BBC producer of World Have Your Say called me hours ago to know my views on the current situation in the Niger Delta. Please you can comment on their website.
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by slimnike(m): 7:18pm On Aug 28, 2006
what is the website?
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by Sijien(m): 10:49am On Sep 11, 2006
basil omiyi is d mdof spdc. where does he come from?
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by ono(m): 2:08pm On Sep 11, 2006
Sijien:

basil omiyi is d mdof spdc. where does he come from?

Ol boy, did you say you're doing SITP? Ok o!

You will do some petroleum engineering in that your SITP. Check up what a ''Delta'' is, then come back and tell me if Basil Omiyi is from the Niger Delta. We know he's from Edo state, somewhere in Esan. But I know Esan is not a part of the ''technical Niger Delta''. It's a part of the ''Political Niger Delta''. And Esan does not produce any drop of oil as at the last time I checked.
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by Sijien(m): 2:38pm On Sep 11, 2006
oil is also present in edo state. dis is from my class notes:

d niger delta (including edo state) has 356 oil fields. (23 have been abandonded as dried up)
251 of nigeria's oil fields (d biggest ones) r offshore.
there r 24 oil wells in d lake chad basin
1 oil well in anambra
1 in benue

so it is not only us dat have oil. or do u think nobody is searching for more oil in d places i have shown?

do u think dat if d FG just wakes up & hands over d control of d oil to us we will be better off?

stop dreaming.
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by otokx(m): 4:20pm On Sep 11, 2006
@buchio

what do you mean by that statement?

both julius berger plc and wilbros cannot leave the niger delta; this is am imagination of the lagos press which seeks to cause confusion in the body polity.
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by slimnike(m): 12:55pm On Sep 19, 2006
In Edo state We have oil like people that do not have anything.
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by Mariory(m): 8:52pm On Sep 20, 2006
Saw this article this evening. Interesting reading
http://allafrica.com/stories/200609200728.html
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by otokx(m): 9:10pm On Sep 20, 2006
I did not see any interesting thing in that article which has many unsubstantiated claims.
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by dblock(m): 10:37pm On Oct 03, 2006
The Niger Delta situation is out of hand and will only be solved in time, the right plan to ending the conflict is to simply continue the work and continue giving the attention that the current administration is now giving, and in time the people of the Niger Delta will be seperated from the opinions of the militants therefore making it alright by alls point of view to attack by inhumane force to finally end the conflict, if the army were to do that now the people of Nigeria as a whole and the people of the delta would see it as an attack on their people and a plan that commenced simply for the sake of shutting up their people, the militants of the niger delta are speaking on behalf of the people of The Delta but they shouldn't be allowed to represent the people beacause, the real problem is not now about the Government and their negelction but about attending to the demands of the militants, they may claim to be for the good of their people but they are more interested in the release of Dokubo and filling their own pockets, New schools are been built in the delta and a multi million dollar hospital is scheduled to be constructed also a college is proposed to be vuilt so the current wave of violence is not due to negleaction but rather to the unnegotiatable needs of the militants cool
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by Odeku(m): 3:33am On Oct 04, 2006
Illitracy and bad leadership and governors is the problem
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by dblock(m): 3:36am On Oct 04, 2006
yep that was the initial problem but what's the current problem
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by shango(m): 3:48am On Oct 04, 2006
The Niger Delta situation is out of hand and will only be solved in time, the right plan to ending the conflict is to simply continue the work and continue giving the attention that the current administration is now giving, and in time the people of the Niger Delta will be seperated from the opinions of the militants therefore making it alright by alls point of view to attack by inhumane force to finally end the conflict, if the army were to do that now the people of Nigeria as a whole and the people of the delta would see it as an attack on their people and a plan that commenced simply for the sake of shutting up their people, the militants of the niger delta are speaking on behalf of the people of The Delta but they shouldn't be allowed to represent the people beacause, the real problem is not now about the Government and their negelction but about attending to the demands of the militants, they may claim to be for the good of their people but they are more interested in the release of Dokubo and filling their own pockets, New schools are been built in the delta and a multi million dollar hospital is scheduled to be constructed also a college is proposed to be vuilt so the current wave of violence is not due to negleaction but rather to the unnegotiatable needs of the militants

You sound exactly like GW Bush talking about the insurgency in Iraq. You think militants are just militants because they like to be militants? Obviously people like you do not understand the problems of that region and its peoples grievances.
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by Odeku(m): 3:53am On Oct 04, 2006
Yes they are cause they have been mis informed, how easy is it to give a tout $10 and tell them to start a fight, SHango go to sleep abeg, we talking of issues in Nigeria not Houston
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by dblock(m): 4:27am On Oct 04, 2006
I think i understand the situation in depth please read the post carefully and learn before you resort to blabbering angry angry angry
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by dblock(m): 4:29am On Oct 04, 2006
They are militants because they believe that there is a need for the Niger Delta area to split due to neglection and they want the release of certain men, they are also out to pocket some money for themselves, that's their mottif but that's not the current problem think, How do you solve a crisis when the people involved don't even want to discuss the issue at hand  angry angry angry angry
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by shango(m): 6:24am On Oct 04, 2006
that is only a small part of a bigger problem that gives rise to such militants. And Flex, you just posted some more rubbish. And what has Houston got to do with Militants. Are you on crack? I drew a parrallel with IRAQ not houston dumbass. Last time I checked Iraq was in Asia, and Houston was in the US. You need to flex your brain bohboh and quit sounding like a slowpoke.
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by slimnike(m): 3:32pm On Oct 06, 2006
undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by Sijien(m): 10:30pm On Oct 06, 2006
d problem plentydem go kill soja den say dem wan do ceasefire. if dem true true wan rack make dem rack finish now.
http://allafrica.com/stories/200610060397.html
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by Jakumo(m): 9:11am On Oct 07, 2006
As we armchair pundits expound on the causes and solutions to the Niger Delta crisis, all out war has evidently broken out with the body-count of combatants on both sides escalating daily over the past 2 weeks.

It will be interesting to see if the Niger Delta freedom fighters make good on their threat to destroy ALL oil productivity infrastructure located in their homeland, and then how on earth any human being will thereafter be able to inhabit that area once the destruction is complete and the entire delta is turned into a sterile oil-slick. Nigeria is really up the creek without the proverbial paddle if all that is threatened actually takes place in the next few months.
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by dblock(m): 9:48am On Oct 07, 2006
The militants must be killed without mercy, for they do not negotiate like educated men and they are threatening not only the future of the delta but Nigeria as a whole angry angry angry angry
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by otokx(m): 1:59pm On Oct 07, 2006
please dblock, come and kill the militants without mercy.
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by Odeku(m): 2:09pm On Oct 07, 2006
What we need is dialog not kidnapping and senseless killing, bring this people to the table compromise and reach a lasting solution, all the local council men and senators should be fired they have been ineffective. Shago your name speaks for itself, what does that mean, I reserve my coment, and now who is the dumbass? cry
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by dblock(m): 2:18pm On Oct 07, 2006
otokx:

please dblock, come and kill the militants without mercy.
What else can be done they refuse to reason and work out a solution to the problem, they work like thieves always asking for ransoms, I don't see what makes them unique, they are just like any terrorist organization. they lie that they are simply freedom fighters and activists, they've killed soldiers mercilessly so why can't the government return the favour, this people don't stand for their people they stand for power because that's want they want, i bet if the government authorized them to be a independent government they would accept the offer happily and ruin the already ruined delta even more, they talk as if they know what's best but what do terrorists know about governance just take a little insight on Hamas or Hizbollah, aren't they doing great jobs, please, such people musn't be allowed to represent even if the government are in no position to condemn wink
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by dblock(m): 3:00pm On Oct 07, 2006
But i must commend the militants for only cutting the oil output by 27.25% and i must thank them for allowing the repairing of vandellised pipelines and i must also thank them for not killing to many soldiers
Re: Niger Delta: What Is The Problem? by Nobody: 7:56am On Oct 10, 2006
dblock:

The militants must be killed without mercy, for they do not negotiate like educated men and they are threatening not only the future of the delta but Nigeria as a whole angry angry angry angry

hmm

dblock:

What else can be done they refuse to reason and work out a solution to the problem, they work like thieves always asking for ransoms, I don't see what makes them unique, they are just like any terrorist organization. they lie that they are simply freedom fighters and activists, they've killed soldiers mercilessly so why can't the government return the favour, this people don't stand for their people they stand for power because that's want they want, i bet if the government authorized them to be a independent government they would accept the offer happily and ruin the already ruined delta even more, they talk as if they know what's best but what do terrorists know about governance just take a little insight on Hamas or Hizbollah, aren't they doing great jobs, please, such people musn't be allowed to represent even if the government are in no position to condemn wink

dblock
because u stay in autrailia it is either your not a nigerian or your one ,
i don't normally insult people inthis forum but please permit me to say u response is foolish.
the problem with ninja delta is not fo the people for christ sake it is fromthe govt

now u tell me let do a simple mathematics- nigeria officially produce/sell average of 4million barrels of crude daily. now u tell me if we ssume a barrel for $70 multiply that a day it comes to about $280 million multiply by 10 by 20 and by 30 days then u would know how much comes in a day

then check our expenditures- no road, no food , no water, no electricity, we have thousands and thousands of graduate unemployed and hungry then u tellme nigeria is at loss cause the production have droped by how many %

is the oil money not there to change our lives? or is it there to kill us?
go check dubai and other countries what they have done with their monies then u wont complain. maybe u should come to niger delta and live for once then u would keep quite

u must have heard how the vp is fighting the president or is it vice versa over un accounted monies . wont this monies have changed the lives of the people

fromthe article mariory postes earlier u could see how much goes into taxation from the oil companies alone how come we don't have basic needs of life

we have been watching all this years and nothing is been done instead we keep seeing political leaders allocatin oil blocks to themselves even if they r from thick desert up north and yet the owners of the land u drill from are hungry

take a drive to escravous thats if u can, the chevron premise is like heaven the then community is hell if it were u what will u do

nigerians are not dumb unlike the way our leaders think, and is it not stupid that when we complain of nothing they send our own army to exterminate us. maybe u have not heard of odi

i just wonder why Bush does not use his army againts americans ? because no need the economy is good

u can't afford to send your child to govt school talk less of private school because they r becoming more and more expensive evry day but the funny part more than half if not allour leaders their children are studyign abroad

come to think of it, 3 of mr presidents children have been married since he enter into power but mind u none of them reside in nigeria they are all based abroad.
a governor will take his whole cabinet abroad and call it holidays

can some one tell me if your small brain can't figure that out have u heard of any american mayor not even a governor or Bush himself come to africa for holidays?

maybe should we say hilary clinton went to university of lagos? we know that is impossible but down here the reverse is the case

if the niger delta people have not been impoverished there would have been peace and stability

note amnot from there before uthink am bein surportive because we all knwo t he truth but we don't want to accept it

sorry if i insulted u by any means or form

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Okowa Commissions Medical Devices/equipment In Asaba (photos) / Ateke Tom Receives Award From Niger Delta Disabled Persons Group (pics) / Senate Adjourns Plenary Till After Presidential Poll, Fails To Consider Budget

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.