Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,718 members, 7,816,956 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:12 PM

The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland (80329 Views)

The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship / The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. / The Marvelous And Beautiful Cultures Of Ghana Aka Kente Land (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by igboboy1(m): 3:56am On Apr 26, 2013
ngozievergreen:
these are their christian names. They all got igbo names names nah

that is exactly my problem...cos you are christain does it mean you must answer biblical names? I dont believe God created diversity on earth only for him to wipe it off later.. one can be igbo and still be christian without borrowing non igbo names...

That is one thing i like ofe manu people, their fierce love for their culture. Igbo man go dey form assimilation until assimilation go wipe off your heritage...

The chinese say if you want to colonize a man teach him your language. The british brough english and now name changing and you are here defending why a descendant of a man called Okonkwo should be called Anderson...mstchew

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by cfours: 5:06am On Apr 26, 2013
igbo boy:

that is exactly my problem...cos you are christain does it mean you must answer biblical names? I dont believe God created diversity on earth only for him to wipe it off later.. one can be igbo and still be christian without borrowing non igbo names...

That is one thing i like ofe manu people, their fierce love for their culture. Igbo man go dey form assimilation until assimilation go wipe off your heritage...

The chinese say if you want to colonize a man teach him your language. The british brough english and now name changing and you are here defending why a descendant of a man called Okonkwo should be called Anderson...mstchew

what a retardeen. ofe nkita people like u need to stop abusing yoruba in every topic u create. stewpid tribalist
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by igboboy1(m): 7:08am On Apr 26, 2013
c.fours:

what a retardeen. ofe nkita people like u need to stop abusing yoruba in every topic u create. stewpid tribalist
nna biko zuzu eba puo....ga ti ishi na ime ike okuko....onye ara.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Malawian(m): 3:19pm On Apr 26, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
Igbo are the worst form of hippocrites. You people value your tribe and culture so much. I respect that. But none of you are even interested in reviving Igbo traditional religion. you curse it by the name of black majick and lick the foot of the west and their beliefs. I do not respect that and i spit at your cowardness and fear of society. you have insulted your ancestors and defiled your Gods, yet i say and mean it with all my heart:

[size=16pt]LORD CHUKWU BLESS ALL MY IGBO BROTHERS!!!!!!!![/size]
we are not stationary people. when we find something better, we discard the archiac ones. in igbo, we say " aa nuta agbogho, a chupu agadi ". christianity is better and true.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 4:23pm On Apr 26, 2013
I have come to one conclusion after reading this thread:

People think that Igbos have an inferiority complex because they WANT igbos to have an inferiority complex.

Too much projecting going on here. One minute they say that Igbos are ashamed of their heritage. The next minute they are deriding staples of Igbo culture and looking down on anything igbo.They have made up their minds about who and what Igbos are and
they let igbos know this in slick and subtle
ways.

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 4:26pm On Apr 26, 2013
The so called issues about Igbos answering non-Igbo names or some younger Igbos not speaking Igbo is not even unique as I can give a list of tribes worse off in that respect.

But you will never know this judging by this thread.

It shows that an agenda is at work.

2 Likes

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 4:36pm On Apr 26, 2013
However, you just displayed your inferiority complex by alluding to other tribes to buttress your point... undecided

Suffice to say; you proved Igbo boy and pagan naija right...

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 4:44pm On Apr 26, 2013
It is good to allude to other tribes to show the double standards at work and the veracity of my point of an Igbo specific agenda.

The fact that you tried to debate my point shows that even you have a stake in Igbos being portrayed in a certain light (else, why bother to comment?).

The fact that you will respond further to this post (either in fury or with forced nonchalance) will show this even more.

I laugh.

3 Likes

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 4:58pm On Apr 26, 2013
I'm black African and I've a right to talk about any African tribe/ethnic-group I wish to talk about... My scholarship is an all-inclusive African one and I try my best possible to learn and overstand/understand the different tribes/ethnic-groups on the continent.. Hence, why I have been lurking and following this thread albeit didn't post any comment on it...

You need to change your mentality and stop comparing your ethnic group to others whenever anyone alludes to anything negative about the consciousness of your group... It basically shows low self-esteem and inferiority complex... Even if others are worse - why compare your ethnic group to them? Why not aim higher, raise the bar high, and set standards for others to follow?

Perhaps, you're the type that's innately addicted to always giving excuses in real life, no?? You need to turn a new leaf and change your mentality, tbh... undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 5:11pm On Apr 26, 2013
And he replies.

With criticism of a so-called mentality that he among others is guilty of 3 times over.

Coming full circle to my point about double standards and the rampant hypocrisy in this thread.

You have such a big stake, don't you Bittyend?

You are right to an extent though. Igbos are held to a far higher standard than the average Nigerian.

Awaiting further comments that will prove me even more right.

2 Likes

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 5:19pm On Apr 26, 2013
Back again with more gibberish and asinine comparisons that exude innate low self-esteem.. Jheez...

When you can't argue with those above your league in all ramifications... result to ad hominem attacks and allude to dim-witted and bimbo-esque accusations that will make you look more like a git, isn't it?? grin

I'm just here to save you and your new mentality because you used to be decent back in the day when I first registered on this forum... My job is to civilise the savagely Africans with mental corrosion... wink
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 5:20pm On Apr 26, 2013
Back with the back up handle... grin

Just watch the two "1"s at the back of both handles!! grin
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Crayola1: 5:22pm On Apr 26, 2013
I don't see the big deal. The Chinese give their Children "English" names do they have inferiority complexes? They will have Xiyan "Alex" Wong go and tell them they are wrong grin Japanese officials are complaining that Japanese parent are giving their kids more unusual names.

Even the example someone gave of Achebe is wrong, he had an English name too: Albert Chinualumogu Achebe.

I think when it comes to Igbo people the bar is set so high yet everyone suffers from the same issues.

Maybe its due to their ability to adapt to change that some people see as having an inferiority complex.

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 5:30pm On Apr 26, 2013
Yup...typical bittyend fanfare.

Notice the insults, keywords such as "low self esteem" "savage."

The overusage of punctuation marks.

Lame attempts at aggression.

You are so predictable and behind the fake pro-African bull lies a lonely boy with a need for a mental come up. Either from his tribe, his noisy posts in pointless debates, his projectory attempts at belittling others, or his (non existent) male ego.

What did I say about projection and hypocrisy, bittyend?

Physician, heal thyself.

3 Likes

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Crayola1: 5:33pm On Apr 26, 2013
I always wonder how you can be pro-Black and call Black people savages

Savages is such a loaded word that I can't find a reason to ever use it...
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 5:41pm On Apr 26, 2013
Over-usage of punctuation marks? grin Well, I blame your below-average wit when it comes to the use of English for that.. undecided

Still chasing bittyend when you already liked your own posts with your other handles, no?

Get on my level, little linear thought process having goose.. undecided
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Afam4eva(m): 5:44pm On Apr 26, 2013
Crayola1: I don't see the big deal. The Chinese give their Children "English" names do they have inferiority complexes? They will have Xiyan "Alex" Wong go and tell them they are wrong grin Japanese officials are complaining that Japanese parent are giving their kids more unusual names.

Even the example someone gave of Achebe is wrong, he had an English name too: Albert Chinualumogu Achebe.

I think when it comes to Igbo people the bar is set so high yet everyone suffers from the same issues.

Maybe its due to their ability to adapt to change that some people see as having an inferiority complex.

Is not about whether we give our kids Igbo or English names but about the one we project. Using Engish name has nothing nothing to do with adapting. It's called having colonial and slave mentality. We have to fight against it instead of rationalizing it.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 5:47pm On Apr 26, 2013
Very apt post.

Crayola1: I don't see the big deal. The Chinese give their Children "English" names do they have inferiority complexes? They will have Xiyan "Alex" Wong go and tell them they are wrong grin Japanese officials are complaining that Japanese parent are giving their kids more unusual names.

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Crayola1: 5:47pm On Apr 26, 2013
That's why I mentioned the Chinese many of them have English names they use for school, work, even life in the West.

As long as Igbo people are still picking up an Igbo name in addition to "x" I think its ok.

I think names are just the tip of the iceberg honestly. The people who wont teach children their mother tongue have more effect than anything else. And across the board this is a problem mainly in Southern Nigeria.

A Sally Obi that can speak Igbo is better than a Nkecki Adaobi Obi that cannot.

Igbo is more than just names.

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 5:47pm On Apr 26, 2013
Afam4eva:
Is not about whether we give our kids Igbo or English names but about the one we project. Using Engish name has nothing nothing to do with adapting. It's called having colonial and slave mentality. We have to fight against it instead of rationalizing it.

Preach to your sisters, fam...

It's always funny how they're always quick to compare failure(s) with other failure(s)... However, when it's time to do a comparative analysis about success - they always give the silly and redundant excuse about developing country, or what not...

It basically shows low self-esteem and inferiority complex, to be honest...
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 5:48pm On Apr 26, 2013
Ok, let's compare the success of China vs. Nigeria/Africa... grin grin

And no excuse this time...

China is bad in this aspect, so we also have to be like them...

But China is about to become the world's number one economy... Errrm... we're still a 3rd-world/developing country and we shouldn't compare ourselves to them...

Fvcktards!!!

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Afam4eva(m): 5:53pm On Apr 26, 2013
Crayola1: That's why I mentioned the Chinese many of them have English names they use for school, work, even life in the West.
Most Chinese people have Chinese names. The only group of Chinese people you may find bearing English names are those from Hong Kong and that's because Hon Kong was a British Colony at some point. Even if the Chinese do indeed bear English names, that doesn't make it right.

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 5:56pm On Apr 26, 2013
Crayola1:

I think names are just the tip of the iceberg honestly. The people who wont teach children their mother tongue have more effect than anything else. And across the board this is a problem mainly in Southern Nigeria.

A Sally Obi that can speak Igbo is better than a Nkecki Adaobi Obi that cannot.

In the north too.

A lot of minorities up North speak Hausa before their native tongues.

It is not a desireable thing actually but continuously pegging this stereotype as solely an "igbo" thing defeats the purpose of instilling change and even portrays an ulterior motive.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Crayola1: 5:56pm On Apr 26, 2013
Afam4eva:
Most Chinese people have Chinese names. The only group of Chinese people you may find bearing English names are those from Hong Kong and that's because Hon Kong was a British Colony at some point. Even if the Chinese do indeed bear English names, that doesn't make it right.

Go read my full post. And in most cases its mainland Chinese coming to the west in large numbers these days.

I'm not suggesting what's right or wrong, I'm talking about priorities. If everyone has full Igbo names but can't speak Igbo is that ok?

English is infecting everyone, even the so called un-colonized folks, to the victor goes the spoils so we all lose out. But the more pressing matter is the fact that people rather speak English (even broken-English)over native languages. Ensuring that Igbo is around for the rest of this century and the next is a more worthwhile goal than deciding which names are Igbo-approved.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Crayola1: 5:58pm On Apr 26, 2013
nnenna.1:

In the north too.

A lot of minorities up North speak Hausa before their native tongues.

It is not a desireable thing actually but continuously pegging this stereotype as solely an "igbo" thing defeats the purpose of instilling change and even portrays an ulterior motive.

I guess people want to focus on the loss of Nigerian Languages to English but yes that is true too. Loss of Nigeria's overall language diversity.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 6:01pm On Apr 26, 2013
So, when is nnenna.1 going to start arguing logically again without exuding innate low self-esteem and inferiority complex?

Grow up, little girl.. undecided
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 6:04pm On Apr 26, 2013
When is bittyend going to stop projecting his self-hatred on others?

Get a life and stop stalking my posts.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 6:08pm On Apr 26, 2013
Well, you need to ask Mr. Bittyend when he comes back from Singapore... undecided undecided

Anyway, I can get you some hydrofluoric acid to help out with your tribalism induced corroded brain cells...

Shalom!

Out! cool
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 6:08pm On Apr 26, 2013
Crayola1:

I guess people want to focus on the loss of Nigerian Languages to English but yes that is true too. Loss of Nigeria's overall language diversity.

A lot of underlying issues are at the core of this problem, yes.

It is sad, but I am noticing a revival of sorts among southern Nigerian youths. Especially in music and entertainment.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 6:15pm On Apr 26, 2013
To bring back the thread on track. . .

Igob delicacy cheesy

Garden egg and peppery grounded peanuts, with kolanuts (I don't know the Igbo name) I know garden egg is Angyara or something like that

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Crayola1: 6:15pm On Apr 26, 2013
I think folks don't give Flavour his credit for his part in bringing high-life back to the mainstream. Its not like the Osadebe and co. in its entirety but the same style is there. Maybe in those small ways Igbo culture can grow.

The main work will be making the SE a place to be proud of and a place where people call home.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Crayola1: 6:16pm On Apr 26, 2013
stillwater: To bring back the thread on track. . .

Igob delicacy cheesy

Garden egg and peppery grounded peanuts, with kolanuts (I don't know the Igbo name) I know garden egg is Angyara or something like that

I had that once its was tongue I don't like Peanut butter so that probably didn't help. cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (16) (Reply)

Moment Oba Of Lagos House Was Attacked By Mob (video) / Beautiful Russian Girls Speaking Igbo & Dancing Ogene / The Beauty Of Yoruba Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.