Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,742 members, 7,824,141 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:20 AM

The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland - Culture (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland (80409 Views)

The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship / The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. / The Marvelous And Beautiful Cultures Of Ghana Aka Kente Land (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 6:17pm On Apr 26, 2013
stillwater: To bring back the thread on track. . .

Igob delicacy cheesy

Garden egg and peppery grounded peanuts, with kolanuts (I don't know the Igbo name) I know garden egg is Angyara or something like that

What food is that?

Post some ogbono and oha soup. grin
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 6:19pm On Apr 26, 2013
My favorite part of the food served at such events.

I prefer the peppery groundnuts to the garden eggs anyday. cheesy

stillwater: To bring back the thread on track. . .

Igob delicacy cheesy

Garden egg and peppery grounded peanuts, with kolanuts (I don't know the Igbo name) I know garden egg is Angyara or something like that

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 6:23pm On Apr 26, 2013
Culled from Bellanaija.com

“Celebrating and Honouring our Own in their Lifetime” – Photos & Scoop from the ‘Ola Ndi Igbo’ Event

It was all fun, laughter and remembering tradition last Saturday at the Civic Centre as Igbo professionals under the umbrella body - Ola Ndi Igbo celebrated their own. The event was a time of sober reflection and opportunity to re-strategize on ways to make a change to the underdevelopment in the Igbo land such as lack of jobs, high rate of male school drop outs, insecurity and falling rate of native tongue speaking children especially among the elite of the Igbo society.

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Afam4eva(m): 6:24pm On Apr 26, 2013
Crayola1:

Go read my full post. And in most cases its mainland Chinese coming to the west in large numbers these days.

I'm not suggesting what's right or wrong, I'm talking about priorities. If everyone has full Igbo names but can't speak Igbo is that ok?

English is infecting everyone, even the so called un-colonized folks, to the victor goes the spoils so we all lose out. But the more pressing matter is the fact that people rather speak English (even broken-English)over native languages. Ensuring that Igbo is around for the rest of this century and the next is a more worthwhile goal than deciding which names are Igbo-approved.
English is not intecting anyone but low self esteem people. The people from Spain, Germany, Italy are still speaking their language don't understand a word of English. Even India that was colonized by the British just like Nigeria are embracing their language and culture. It can be seen through their movies and music...

One of the ways we can maintain our ethnic pride and sell ourselves is through our names, speaking our language etc. What is wrong in someone bearing an Igbo name and speaking Igbo at the same time. Must the person sacrifice one for the other. Go and see how many Igbo kids outside Igboland that can't speak a word of Igbo and we're here deending the indefensible.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 6:29pm On Apr 26, 2013
ShyM-X:

What food is that?

Post some ogbono and oha soup. grin

I'll post the soups later. But you need to taste garden eggs and that peppery groundnut paste. The last time I tasted it I probably was 5years old lol in the village and having fun.

nnenna.1:
My favorite part of the food served at such events.

I prefer the peppery groundnuts to the garden eggs anyday. cheesy

Lol, I know right!!! But it makes such a combo when eaten together.
Have you tasted kolanuts before? I don't think I have. For some reason they don't let us kids have a bite. grin

Crayola1:

I had that once its was tongue I don't like Peanut butter so that probably didn't help. cheesy

Haa the groundnut paste is the bomb. That's why I even eat it.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Crayola1: 6:30pm On Apr 26, 2013
Afam4eva:
English is not intecting anyone but low self esteem people. The people from Spain, Germany, Italy are still speaking their language don't understand a word of English. Even India that was colonized by the British just like Nigeria are embracing their language and culture. It can be seen through their movies and music...

One of the ways we can maintain our ethnic pride and sell ourselves is through our names, speaking our language etc. What is wrong in someone bearing an Igbo name and speaking Igbo at the same time. Must the person sacrifice one for the other. Go and see how many Igbo kids outside Igboland that can't speak a word of Igbo and we're here deending the indefensible.

Is Nigeria's history similar to any of those countries? Even India did not have the dehumanizing period of slavery which all factors in how Nigerians, and Igbo people in this case, see themselves.

And its common for English words and phrases to be used in places like China, Japan, Korea, and a lot of other places. Is half the world feeling inferior? English is the defacto global language and it touches damn near all languages. Even the French are complaining of English words being used by French people.

And you ignore the effects the Civil War had on Igbo people.

Nobody says sacrifice one for another but you can't tell people what to name their children.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Afam4eva(m): 6:32pm On Apr 26, 2013
Crayola1: I think folks don't give Flavour his credit for his part in bringing high-life back to the mainstream. Its not like the Osadebe and co. in its entirety but the same style is there. Maybe in those small ways Igbo culture can grow.

The main work will be making the SE a place to be proud of and a place where people call home.
I give Flavour, Nigga Raw, Phyno, Ill Bliss, Ikechukwu, P Square etc a lot of credit because they're one of the few of many Igbo musicians who sing in Igbo.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 6:34pm On Apr 26, 2013
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Crayola1: 6:36pm On Apr 26, 2013
Afam4eva:
I give Flavour, Nigga Raw, Phyno, Ill Bliss, Ikechukwu, P Square etc a lot of credit because they're one of the few of many Igbo musicians who sing in Igbo.

The fact someone goes by Nigga raw negates anything positive coming from them
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 6:38pm On Apr 26, 2013
stillwater:

Lol, I know right!!! But it makes such a combo when eaten together.
Have you tasted kolanuts before? I don't think I have. For some reason they don't let us kids have a bite.

Lol.

I have tasted kola, ya. My mom gave me some for cough once.

Did not care for the bitter taste though.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 6:40pm On Apr 26, 2013
Afam4eva:

These are the most popular mainstream Igbo artistes based in Nigeria.

The more anglicized ones are lesser known. That shows a favorable trend.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 6:41pm On Apr 26, 2013
Igbo delicacies

Nkwobi http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/03/todays-menu/

Nkwobi is the Igbo name for spicy goat legs cooked andserved in a rich chilli gravy, a delicacy considered as one of the special gifts amongst South-Eastern part of the country.

Abacha

[img]http://2.bp..com/_ggsOyElUKlw/TLpt0nyoIfI/AAAAAAAAAEs/3SXxoOcISs8/s1600/Photo0188.jpg[/img]

2 Likes

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 6:50pm On Apr 26, 2013
Crayola1:

Is Nigeria's history similar to any of those countries? Even India did not have the dehumanizing period of slavery which all factors in how Nigerians, and Igbo people in this case, see themselves.

And its common for English words and phrases to be used in places like China, Japan, Korea, and a lot of other places. Is half the world feeling inferior? English is the defacto global language and it touches damn near all languages. Even the French are complaining of English words being used by French people.

And you ignore the effects the Civil War had on Igbo people.
Nobody says sacrifice one for another but you can't tell people what to name their children.

Exactly! Most people forget the debilitating effects of the war. Loss of language and mostly cultural unconsciousness were consequences of that war. That even till date some groups don't want to consider themselves Igbo.

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Crayola1: 6:54pm On Apr 26, 2013
I think as the fortunes of the SE rise many of the defectors will come back cheesy

At that time what they did I understand why but the lengths some people go is a bit baffling. I can understand speaking Igbo but not being Igbo, but speaking the language, sharing the same names, and etc cheesy
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 7:05pm On Apr 26, 2013
stillwater:

I'll post the soups later. But you need to taste garden eggs and that peppery groundnut paste. The last time I tasted it I probably was 5years old lol in the village and having fun.

Oh ok... I'll taste the garden eggs and peppery groundnut paste when you cook it for me.. tongue
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 7:07pm On Apr 26, 2013
stillwater:

Exactly! Most people forget the debilitating effects of the war. Loss of language and mostly cultural unconsciousness were consequences of that war. That even till date some groups don't want to consider themselves Igbo.

I honestly don't think those people ever claimed "Igbo" - even before the civil war... and I don't think you should blame them for not seeing themselves as Igbos, tbh...

That's just my 2cents..
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 7:08pm On Apr 26, 2013
stillwater: Igbo delicacies
Abacha

That's the "abacha" food, adaobi was alluding to on another thread.... grin

Adaobi, where are you at? What does "abacha" taste like, hun? wink
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Abagworo(m): 7:35pm On Apr 26, 2013
ShyM-X:

Oh ok... I'll taste the garden eggs and peppery groundnut paste when you cook it for me.. tongue

That peppery groundnut paste is nothing but peanut butter. Yes peanut butter originated from Igboland and is known as "Oku oso" or "Okwu ose" depending on dialect. Some Igbos eat their Kola with fish paste or powder like in my own part of Igboland.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 7:54pm On Apr 26, 2013
ShyM-X:

I honestly don't think those people ever claimed "Igbo" - even before the civil war... and I don't think you should blame them for not seeing themselves as Igbos, tbh...

That's just my 2cents..

To be honest I don't blame them and I believe people can choose what they want to be. But at the same time, I marvel at their dispositions.

I don't have proof to speak on whether they considered themselves Igbo or not, but if it's about claiming, then culturally most Igbo groups represented themselves by their clans, not even by calling themselves Igbo, but today we call ourselves Igbo, so such groups don't really have a point trying to detach themselves from others. I honestly think the civil war promoted this dissent. undecided But I agree, let people call themselves what they want to be called.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 8:02pm On Apr 26, 2013
Abagworo:

That peppery groundnut paste is nothing but peanut butter. Yes peanut butter originated from Igboland and is known as "Oku oso" or "Okwu ose" depending on dialect. Some Igbos eat their Kola with fish paste or powder like in my own part of Igboland.

Lol then George Washington Carver an African American who is credited for making peanut butter might just be an Igbo man then. grin grin grin We need to check his DNA. grin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Washington_Carver
George Washington Carver (by January 1864[1][3] – January 5, 1943), was an American scientist, botanist, educator, and inventor. The exact day and year of his birth are unknown; he is believed to have been born into slavery in Missouri in January 1864. . . Carver was often credited with the invention of peanut butter.

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 9:13pm On Apr 26, 2013
^^^^That's the realist and most detribalised Igbo chic on this forum...

Err... Perhaps, that's why I wanna kiss ya juicy and luscious lips.. tongue
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 9:19pm On Apr 26, 2013
stillwater:
To be honest I don't blame them and I believe people can choose what they want to be. But at the same time, I marvel at their dispositions.

I don't have proof to speak on whether they considered themselves Igbo or not, but if it's about claiming, then culturally most Igbo groups represented themselves by their clans, not even by calling themselves Igbo, but today we call ourselves Igbo, so such groups don't really have a point trying to detach themselves from others. I honestly think the civil war promoted this dissent. undecided But I agree, let people call themselves what they want to be called.

I don't think the civil cause any dissent... Rather, according to some Igbo historians, it galvanised Igbos in the proper Eastern region... There were certain Igboid groups in the Eastern region who never wanted to called Igbos before the civil war - however that changed during and after the civil war...

Honestly, all the major ethnic groups in Nigeria needs to thank Nigeria for making them as strong as they're... Without Nigeria - I doubt the Hausa/Fulani single ethnic group would exist; Yoruba group wouldn't be as big as it is; and Igbo ethnic group would probably be smaller than it's today....
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:01pm On Apr 26, 2013
ShyM-X:

I don't think the civil cause any dissent... Rather, according to some Igbo historians, it galvanised Igbos in the proper Eastern region... There were certain Igboid groups in the Eastern region who never wanted to called Igbos before the civil war - however that changed during and after the civil war...

Honestly, all the major ethnic groups in Nigeria needs to thank Nigeria for making them as strong as they're... Without Nigeria - I doubt the Hausa/Fulani single ethnic group would exist; Yoruba group wouldn't be as big as it is; and Igbo ethnic group would probably be smaller than it's today....

Hausa and Fulani are NOT one. We are different peoples with different roots. please dont generalize like this. This is not america.
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:04pm On Apr 26, 2013
igbo boy:

that is exactly my problem...cos you are christain does it mean you must answer biblical names? I dont believe God created diversity on earth only for him to wipe it off later.. one can be igbo and still be christian without borrowing non igbo names...

That is one thing i like ofe manu people, their fierce love for their culture. Igbo man go dey form assimilation until assimilation go wipe off your heritage...

The chinese say if you want to colonize a man teach him your language. The british brough english and now name changing and you are here defending why a descendant of a man called Okonkwo should be called Anderson...mstchew

Thank You my brother. You are true Igbo son of the soil. I crown you Sarkin Eze Nri Igbo Boy! cool
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:11pm On Apr 26, 2013
Malawian: we are not stationary people. when we find something better, we discard the archiac ones. in igbo, we say " aa nuta agbogho, a chupu agadi ". christianity is better and true.

then in the end you will be left na.ked.

keep discarding "archaic" thinz. Bravo.

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 10:16pm On Apr 26, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

Hausa and Fulani are NOT one. We are different peoples with different roots. please dont generalize like this. This is not america.

At least they're "one" in the Nigerian set-up - YES or NO?

That was what I was alluding to and how Nigeria has created an indirect environment for something like that to flourish... I doubt the term "Hausa/Fulani" would exist without Nigeria... Heck, Hausa/Fulani and Kanuri also get along in Nigeria... However, every student of history knows that it's not all lovey dovey between them..
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:18pm On Apr 26, 2013
Crayola1: I don't see the big deal. The Chinese give their Children "English" names do they have inferiority complexes? They will have Xiyan "Alex" Wong go and tell them they are wrong grin Japanese officials are complaining that Japanese parent are giving their kids more unusual names.

Even the example someone gave of Achebe is wrong, he had an English name too: Albert Chinualumogu Achebe.

I think when it comes to Igbo people the bar is set so high yet everyone suffers from the same issues.

Maybe its due to their ability to adapt to change that some people see as having an inferiority complex.

ANSWER ME SLAVE! Mr Sunday, or Monday or any other such slave name you got.

ANswer Me! do them whites keep IGBO NAMES? IF THEY DO , THEN I WIHDRAW MY ABUSE AND SAY YOU HAVE FULL RIGHT TO KEEP THEIR NAMES. angry angry angry angry
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:21pm On Apr 26, 2013
ShyM-X:

At least they're "one" in the Nigerian set-up - YES or NO?

That was what I was alluding to and how Nigeria has created an indirect environment for something like that to flourish... I doubt the term "Hausa/Fulani" would exist without Nigeria... Heck, Hausa/Fulani and Kanuri also get along in Nigeria... However, every student of history knows that it's not all lovey dovey between them..

THis is not good or healthy for Tribal structures . I am saying this as a Hausa. because of this assimilation, many of the smaller Northern Tribal groups will fall out and become extinct. I hate it when many Fulani in my neighbourhood/village, never knew how to speak Fulfulde and I could understand a bit of it more than them. It sucks. angry
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:22pm On Apr 26, 2013
stillwater: Culled from Bellanaija.com

“Celebrating and Honouring our Own in their Lifetime” – Photos & Scoop from the ‘Ola Ndi Igbo’ Event

It was all fun, laughter and remembering tradition last Saturday at the Civic Centre as Igbo professionals under the umbrella body - Ola Ndi Igbo celebrated their own. The event was a time of sober reflection and opportunity to re-strategize on ways to make a change to the underdevelopment in the Igbo land such as lack of jobs, high rate of male school drop outs, insecurity and falling rate of native tongue speaking children especially among the elite of the Igbo society.

THESE ARE NOT IGBO CLOTHES! THESE PEOPLE LOOK LIKE PASTOR-IMAM CROSSBRED WITH SOME YORUBA WOMENS DRESS. TUFIA!

YOU HAVE LOST YOUR ORIGINAL COSTUME! FOR SHAME!

WHERE ARE THOSE BEAUTIFUL ANKLE RINGS WORN BY IGBO WOMEN?! OR THAT SARONG LIKE THING WORN BY THE MEN>? angry angry angry

OR THE LOVELY HAIRSTYLE S OF YORE!? WHERE IS ALL THIS? angry

1 Like

Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Nobody: 11:24pm On Apr 26, 2013
And who told you that imams, yoruba women or pastors dressed like that in the so called days of yore?

See this is the BS that i see in these sorts of posts.

Please focus on your hausa people that have been completely islamized and leave others alone.

PAGAN 9JA:

THESE ARE NOT IGBO CLOTHES! THESE PEOPLE LOOK LIKE PASTOR-IMAM CROSSBRED WITH SOME YORUBA WOMENS DRESS. TUFIA!

YOU HAVE LOST YOUR ORIGINAL COSTUME! FOR SHAME!

WHERE ARE THOSE BEAUTIFUL ANKLE RINGS WORN BY IGBO WOMEN?! OR THAT SARONG LIKE THING WORN BY THE MEN>? angry angry angry

OR THE LOVELY HAIRSTYLE S OF YORE!? WHERE IS ALL THIS? angry
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Crayola1: 11:35pm On Apr 26, 2013
nnenna.1:
And who told you that imams, yoruba women or pastors dressed like that in the so called days of yore?

See this is the BS that i see in these sorts of posts.

Please focus on your hausa people that have been completely islamized and leave others alone.

grin Crying more than the bereaved..
Re: The Marvelous Culture Of The Igbos And Igboland by Crayola1: 11:42pm On Apr 26, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

ANSWER ME SLAVE! Mr Sunday, or Monday or any other such slave name you got.

ANswer Me! do them whites keep IGBO NAMES? IF THEY DO , THEN I WIHDRAW MY ABUSE AND SAY YOU HAVE FULL RIGHT TO KEEP THEIR NAMES. angry angry angry angry

Is Abubakar Hausa? Mohammed? My friend you are busy trying to save another man's house why yours is going up in flames?

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Moment Oba Of Lagos House Was Attacked By Mob (video) / Beautiful Russian Girls Speaking Igbo & Dancing Ogene / The Beauty Of Yoruba Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.