Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,338 members, 7,811,980 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:25 AM

Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues (41089 Views)

Reduce Your Electricity Bills With Our Solar Inverters / Buy Solar Inverters, Panels And Batteries At Most Affordable Price 08066602785 / Pay Electricity Bills, Earn Zcoins , Get Solar Inverters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by Compliant(m): 8:25pm On Feb 12, 2023
Greetings.

After seeing a topic that made front page on power situation in Nigeria, I felt it will be necessary to create this thread for EDUCATIONAL PURPOSE ONLY.

Please let's share ideas on this solar installation, cost implications, down side and many more.

I neither sell nor have knowledge of solar system but on 24th December 2022 I engaged someone to install solar for me due to the power situation here in Abuja especially during dry season.

Well to cut the long story short, I decided to go for 3kva inverter with inbuilt charge controller, 4 280w felicity mono panel with 2 200amh dry cell battery with a cost implication of around 1 million

Breakdown:
1. 280w felicity mono panel 84,000 per 1 ( note: the person promised me 300w for 84,000 only for him to bring 280w and the excuse he gave me was that the 300w is not a strong product but felicity product is durable)

2. 3KVA 24V inverter with inbuilt charge controller 290,000

3. Battery 200amh 160,000 per 1 dry cell

4. Battery rack, installation kits and installation charge 150,000

Mind you, I base in Abuja where things are a little expensive, so i believed its possible to get it at a cheaper rate elsewhere.

I did not connect my fridge at all but lighting points are connected, smart TV of 55inche and 45inche are connected and I can use any depending if I am in the seating room or inner room.

DISCOVERY: once it is 6:30pm the solar stop charging via panel and i can use my bulbs and TV and 2 fans for hours (i.e i watch TV from 6:30pm to maybe 9pm before going to bed and i switch on at least 8 bulbs from that 6:30pm till 6:30am the following day when the inverter automatically starts charging again via solar.

I also discover that in this solar installation, having a very good battery will safe you alot and also dry cell battery can go bad even within 2months if installed before and then you disconnect and reconnect after like 2-3month probably due to relocation issue.

Please kindly share your own view without insult let's learn one or two things.

Thanks

40 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by Compliant(m): 8:30pm On Feb 12, 2023
Images attached

2 Likes

Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by utepu: 8:41pm On Feb 12, 2023
Thanks for sharing bro

ote author=Compliant post=120857113]Greetings.

After seeing a topic that made front page on power situation in Nigeria, I felt it will be necessary to create this thread for EDUCATIONAL PURPOSE ONLY.

Please let's share ideas on this solar installation, cost implications, down side and many more.

I neither sell nor have knowledge of solar system but on 24th December 2022 I engaged someone to install solar for me due to the power situation here in Abuja especially during dry season.

Well to cut the long story short, I decided to go for 3kva inverter with inbuilt charge controller, 4 280w felicity mono panel with 2 200amh dry cell battery with a cost implication of around 1 million

Breakdown:
1. 280w felicity mono panel 84,000 per 1 ( note: the person promised me 300w for 84,000 only for him to bring 280w and the excuse he gave me was that the 300w is not a strong product but felicity product is durable)

Mind you, I base in Abuja where things are a little expensive, so i believed its possible to get it at a cheaper rate elsewhere.

I did not connect my fridge at all but lighting points are connected, smart TV of 55inche and 45inche are connected and I can use any depending if I am in the seating room or inner room.

DISCOVERY: once it is 6:30pm the solar stop charging via panel and i can use my bulbs and TV and 2 fans for hours (i.e i watch TV from 6:30pm to maybe 9pm before going to bed and i switch on at least 8 bulbs from that 6:30pm till 6:30am the following day when the inverter automatically starts charging again via solar.

I also discover that in this solar installation, having a very good battery will safe you alot and also dry cell battery can go bad even within 2months if installed before and then you disconnect and reconnect after like 2-3month probably due to relocation issue.

Thanks

[/quote]

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by yomi007k(m): 8:44pm On Feb 12, 2023
Thank you for the information.

I was thinking about this solar thing yesterday too.

What do you need to do for it to carry deep freezer? How much was his workmanship?

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by Zico777(m): 8:48pm On Feb 12, 2023
Bro, Solar energy is the way to go!
No noise, no pollution & very cheap in the long run. Speaking from experience!
Neighbors hardly know u are home, because there's no noise unless they hear the sound of your appliances.

80 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by Compliant(m): 9:00pm On Feb 12, 2023
yomi007k:
Thank you for the information.

I was thinking about this solar thing yesterday too.

What do you need to do for it to carry deep freezer? How much was his workmanship?

For the freezer I dont know sir, but i noticed one day my wife forgot to switch off the deep freezer in my children room and i was on inverter and the thing was just working jejely for like 1 hour, immediately I noticed, I switch the freezer off

As for the workmanship, it's less than 100,000 because the person collected 150,000 from me and it includes battery rack, installation kits and fee.

The installation kits include all the wires and horse and breakers etc

13 Likes

Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by Compliant(m): 9:02pm On Feb 12, 2023
I just remember one thing now, OX INDUSTRIAL FAN is an enemy of inverter

77 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by Compliant(m): 9:08pm On Feb 12, 2023
Zico777:
Bro, Solar energy is the way to go!
No noise, no pollution & very cheap in the long run. Speaking from experience!

True talk but the mistake I made was buying 2 200amh dry cell battery should have gone for 2 200amh lithium battery as a friend said it's more powerful and easy to maintain or so

Was also told dry cell battery life span is around 2-3 years while lithium battery is around 5years but I dont know how true it is

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by Decentlyproud(m): 9:45pm On Feb 12, 2023
I am a fan of solar...based on my research, lithium battery is the best and most carries 5years warranty.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by Zico777(m): 6:43am On Feb 13, 2023
Compliant:

True talk but the mistake I made was buying 2 200amh dry cell battery should have gone for 2 200amh lithium battery as a friend said it's more powerful and easy to maintain or so

Was also told dry cell battery life span is around 2-3 years while lithium battery is around 5years but I dont know how true it is
So true, Lithium battery is much better.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by Mynd44: 7:43am On Feb 13, 2023
Your setup is similar what I used until 2021.

4 320w panels
2.5 KVA inverter and 40A charge controller.
2 dry cell 200amps batteries
It served me well, I used my freezer with it and all the appliances.

Cost: About 650,000 but this was just before lockdown. The week before lockdown

But in 2021, I got an AC and decided to improve on my existing system so I let go the inverter, batteries and charge controller then added more panelspp

Now I run a 5 KVA inverter, 8 320w panels, 60a charge controller and 2 200amps flooded batteries.

It serves the whole flat, freezer, fridge, AC and microwave (all in the afternoon) by 5 I turn it all off and stick to just fans, TV and light bulbs and so.

Oh, I also use mine with my pressing iron but in the afternoon and in extreme conditions

Cost: I really can't say cos everything has gone up now
But then the inverter cost 196k
Each panel (first 4 35k each, last 4, 65k each)
Batteries 140k each
Charge controller 100,000
Rack 20k
Installation, fuse box etc 65k
I have cables at home.

Although I turn off my whole system by 6pm and turn it back on by 8:30 (just cos I might need to get air outside or something)

But when I travel, I leave the unit on and put just the freezer on it. And I can actually go off-grid completely

Even my sugar mummy sponsors get jealous

First picture is my new system.
Second is my old systen

41 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by Kobicove(m): 11:34am On Feb 13, 2023
Mynd44:

4 320w panels

But in 2021, I got an AC and decided to improve on my existing system so I let go the inverter, batteries and charge controller then added more panelspp

Now I run a 5 KVA inverter, 8 320w panels, 60a charge controller and 2 200amps flooded batteries.

It serves the whole flat, freezer, fridge, AC and microwave (all in the afternoon) by 5 I turn it all off and stick to just fans, TV and light bulbs and so.

Oh, I also use mine with my pressing iron but in the afternoon and in extreme conditions

Batteries 140k each
Rack 20k
I have cables at home.

Although I turn off my whole system by 6pm and turn it back on by 8:30 (just cos I might need to get air outside or something)

But when I travel, I leave the unit on and put just the freezer on it. And I can actually go off-grid completely

Second is my old systen

Do you also have pics of the solar panels on your roof you can share with us?

9 Likes

Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by Mynd44: 11:57am On Feb 13, 2023
Kobicove:

Do you also have pics of the solar panels on your roof you can share with us?
Sorry, I can’t

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by Elliotwaveforec: 12:16pm On Feb 13, 2023
Anything solar, I love it! Following the thread waiting for people's experiences.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by Mynd44: 12:54pm On Feb 13, 2023
When you gobinverter, you have to buy appliances by the power ratings. Those 100 or 60 watts bulbs have to go. I use the 5 watts bulbs now

Inverter AC, Refrigerator and freezer.

I have about 5 fans all low energy(60 watts).

Even my microwave is inverter type so you don't drain all the power you have

55 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by tonididdy(m): 12:57pm On Feb 13, 2023
Solar is the solution

A 4 battery system for deep freezer,tvs, security lights fan cost 1.7 as at October last year to setup.

I setup my personal system in 2018 DEC and till date my family have never spent a night without electricity.
Ps: we are not connected to nepa since we moved in our home.

60 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by chukwuibuipob: 12:58pm On Feb 13, 2023
N
Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by MANNABBQGRILLS: 12:59pm On Feb 13, 2023
A better Nigeria all around is all we want

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by Passionate888: 12:59pm On Feb 13, 2023
Interesting

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by NothingDoMe: 1:00pm On Feb 13, 2023
I use 34 solar panels on two separate installations: Backup and Primary

24 of those panels serve a 5kva inverter with 8 batteries(Flooded). 24×350w

10 panels serve a 3.5kva inverter with 4 flooded batteries. 10x250w

I previously used dry cells for the 3.5kva inverter. After about 3 years I left them unattended and connected to the solar grid. They got swollen. Sold them 10k each.

I used 3 controllers for this installation. One ePever and two Yohako. I do not like the Yohako controllers because they have limited tracking functions and basic UI. The cost difference between both is wide.

I use 2 fridges, 1 freezer, lights, surface water pump, and other stuff. I tried LG inverter AC recently but it drains like crazy. However the 8 battery bank was able to sustain it at night for 3hrs before it hit the low volatge cut off. Best to use the AC when the sun is up.

All household equipments are mostly inverter friendly LG/Hisense. The inverter tag on those equipment doesn't mean they won't draw power. They eliminate the start up current draw and are better at power management.

The installation is such that I can change over power from one battery bank to the other at will but manually. I've just bought an automatic changeover for them made by the Chinese and not sure if it will last.

Oh, because the sun changes trajectory throughout the year it affects my solar output because of the roof design. So I put 24 panels on one side and the other 10 panels on the other side.

Modified: if you use a slanted roof I recommend you go online to check the sun trajectory for the year. Most of those sites can narrow it down to your location. There's Suncalc and others. Don't be like me that was caught unawares. You won't like yourself after spending so much money and its not working as expected.🤣

Also ensure you have a proper lighting arrestor for tall buildings and also properly earth your inverter. I've been visited by lightning many times until I learned.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by NOETHNICITY(m): 1:00pm On Feb 13, 2023
I’m very interested
Someone billed me 2.3m for 9panels, 4batteries and 5k a inverter system

2 Likes

Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by xynerise: 1:01pm On Feb 13, 2023
Compliant:
Greetings.

Breakdown:

Thanks

How long can one battery last?

1 Like

Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by tonididdy(m): 1:02pm On Feb 13, 2023
Mynd44:

4 320w panels

Batteries 140k each
Rack 20k
I have cables at home.

Second is my old systen

Lol you are totally ruining your system.
2 batteries is not sufficient for any AC let alone pressing iron
At this usuage your solar will not last a year, 2 at most

5 Likes

Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by adekennis(m): 1:02pm On Feb 13, 2023
Pls contact me for your affordable inverter solutions. I can install for you before payment if we are going to agreement on payment or give me postdated check or bank draft. I use the best components.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by inoki247: 1:04pm On Feb 13, 2023
Ok
Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by babkazy: 1:04pm On Feb 13, 2023
Compliant:

you are right , but lithium battery is very expensive and can explode easily

2 Likes

Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by Mynd44: 1:04pm On Feb 13, 2023
tonididdy:

Lol you are totally ruining your system.
2 batteries is not sufficient for any AC let alone pressing iron
At this usuage your solar will not last a year, 2 at most
Seems you miss where I don't use the AC at night and the fact that I have 8 panels mean I don't draw Power from the battery in the afternoon.

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by bigdammyj: 1:05pm On Feb 13, 2023
Reading...
Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by bassdow: 1:06pm On Feb 13, 2023

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Man Singlehandedly Saved A Filling Station From Burning Down. Photos And Video. / The Collapsed 21-Storey Building Was Sealed By Lagos State Government In 2020 / Hardship: 4 Ways To Build Houses Without Or With Little Cement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.