Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,205 members, 7,829,311 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:33 AM

Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues (41992 Views)

Reduce Your Electricity Bills With Our Solar Inverters / Buy Solar Inverters, Panels And Batteries At Most Affordable Price 08066602785 / Pay Electricity Bills, Earn Zcoins , Get Solar Inverters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by ModCaller: 1:22pm On Feb 13, 2023
Do not use dry cell battery. They do not last. Once it clocks 1 year, it will begin to drain extremely fast.

Use wet cell battery or lithium battery (if you can afford lithium battery). Wet cell needs regular topping of distilled water tho.

That 160k would have gotten you 220ah wet cell battery.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by fergie001: 1:23pm On Feb 13, 2023
bassdow:

A battery could go bad in less than 1-month should it be abused in any way
That's why I said averagely....
Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by Owaincouncil: 1:24pm On Feb 13, 2023
And someone did for me same December here in Lagos at 2,050,000. (Two Million, fifty thousand naira only) though he use hybrid battery for me and 12 panels of 450watts each.

The same coy also did 7kva for my oga at 6.5m with 2 big lithium battery.
Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by Camberlo(m): 1:25pm On Feb 13, 2023
In solar installation and usage, make sure you take care of some basic things like

HVD - High voltage disconnexrt, that is when your battery is full and will be disconnect.

LVR - low voltage disconnexrt, this is when your battery get disconnect for reaching like 30% to avoid damage.

Also, make sure you clean your panels regularly for uptimum performance.

Don't overload your installation.

Make sure you don't put ON bulbs not in usage like toilet, perimeter during day time and power ON what you needed most.

Above all, before going for solar installation ensure you do load analysis.

Thank you

24 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by babastanlolo: 1:26pm On Feb 13, 2023
How is it possible to use 2 200amps batteries for a 5kva inverter, which should at least be 48 Volts? Was thinking that would require 4 batteries. please, educate me.

1 Like

Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by zeestone99(m): 1:26pm On Feb 13, 2023
Compliant:

True talk but the mistake I made was buying 2 200amh dry cell battery should have gone for 2 200amh lithium battery as a friend said it's more powerful and easy to maintain or so

Was also told dry cell battery life span is around 2-3 years while lithium battery is around 5years but I dont know how true it is

The lifespan of lithium batteries are above 10 years

1 Like

Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by ModCaller: 1:27pm On Feb 13, 2023
Compliant:

True talk but the mistake I made was buying 2 200amh dry cell battery should have gone for 2 200amh lithium battery as a friend said it's more powerful and easy to maintain or so

Was also told dry cell battery life span is around 2-3 years while lithium battery is around 5years but I dont know how true it is

Dry cell lasts about a year, not 2 years. After 1 year, it will start draining very fast. What used to last for 10 hours will start lasting for 2 hours. The only advantage is that it doesn't need maintenance.

You should have bought wet cell battery for the same price. That one needs regular topping of distilled water

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by Mynd44: 1:28pm On Feb 13, 2023
tonididdy:

Lol lad trust me, quit using the Ac and regulate the deep freezer usage and Never I mean Never ever use the pressing iron again. I guess I should advice you not to use your solar for your borehole

Yes you have to maintain those your batt3, dey are not for amateur users. It has a gauge on it. You need to refill with 100% distilled water when the gauge is low.
Lmaooo. Dude, quit trying to preach to the choir.

If your panels generate 2,400 watts and your batteries are full at high noon, you can use your devices as long as they do not cumulatively get close to 2,000 watts since the power is not drawn from the batteries unless there is a sudden cloud cover.

My system that has never I mean never gone below 40% is what you are lecturing me how to use. Funny

And as for distilled water, na you go teach me na

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by bassdow: 1:28pm On Feb 13, 2023
Lightorder:
the price difference between lithium and ordinary battery is way way too high

...and it's SUPER EASIER buying an INFERIROR LITHIUM battery I never mention the SUPER EXTRA care LITHIUM batteries need

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by main24(m): 1:29pm On Feb 13, 2023
lakeside30:

with 500k,can 1 get a very good solar system

freezer
59 inch tv..led
dstvdecoder
fans 2
light bulb 5

if yes,pls contact me 07037595005

Even 1M now can't get you that, unless the person wants to run a fast job on you. grin cheesy
Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by oladele00(m): 1:30pm On Feb 13, 2023
It's the best. I have got one installed in my place and since I work from home, I make use of it from 9 am to 4 pm. Once it's 4 pm, I switch it off and on it around 7 pm, watch movies from 7 to 10, off the tv, and make use of the Dc fan till the morning. It's the way to go. No government will do this for you

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by tonididdy(m): 1:31pm On Feb 13, 2023
Mynd44:

Lmaooo. Dude, quit trying to preach to the choir.

If your panels generate 2,400 watts and your batteries are full at high noon, you can use your devices as long as they do not cumulatively get close to 2,000 watts since the power is not drawn from the batteries unless there is a sudden cloud cover.

My system that has never I mean never gone below 40% is what you are lecturing me how to use. Funny

And as for distilled water, na you go teach me na

Ok Goodluck oh
Lol and you didn’t even get a quality flooded batt3 to add to the injuries oh.

…I drop my pen 4yor case.
Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by Mynd44: 1:32pm On Feb 13, 2023
ModCaller:

Dry cell lasts about a year, not 2 years. After 1 year, it will start draining very fast. What used to last for 10 hours will start lasting for 2 hours. The only advantage is that it doesn't need maintenance.

You should have bought wet cell battery for the same price. That one needs regular topping of distilled water
Where do you people get your alternate facts from. As long as you do not abuse your batteries and try to make sure you do not discharge them up to zero, they will last.
The one I used before, I sold to a friend and he is still using them. This is the third year they have been in use

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by bassdow: 1:33pm On Feb 13, 2023
tonididdy:

Lol I’ve over 6years solar owner experience
And over 2years installation experience

I’m telling you when your battery will die if you don’t change your usuage.
Do you even know you have to regularly maintain this type of batt3 u’ve ?
Mod: I gave this same harsh advice to my neighbor, he has 6 flooded batt3. He would pump water and on ACs on the batt3 and on all the security bulbs in the house (over 16bulbs of 60watts each)
Fasts forward to today …. He has spent more money on diesel enough to setup a brand new solar system 😁
Na now he dey take my advice but then the damage is done already.

The BATTERY SELLER / SOLAR INSTALLER should be blamed. Why get a FLOODed battery for a customer without first understanding if they have the requisite knowledge on how to care for it.

This is how they end up killing people's mindSet on things like this.

If care isn't taken, there would come a time people would STONE you when you try INTRODUCing anything SOLAR to them. Make we no dey put MONEY above everything else.

8 Likes

Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by omakay(m): 1:34pm On Feb 13, 2023
Mynd44:
When you gobinverter, you have to buy appliances by the power ratings. Those 100 or 60 watts bulbs have to go. I use the 5 watts bulbs now

Inverter AC, Refrigerator and freezer.

I have about 5 fans all low energy(60 watts).

Even my microwave is inverter type so you don't drain all the power you have

The fans at 60wats is not low enough. I use DC fans of 30watts.

Solar is the way to go when you use low energy consuming electronics.

OX fan people, this matter no concern una oo.

1 Like

Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by 3seriez(m): 1:34pm On Feb 13, 2023
main24:

Not completely true.
Lithium and dry cell batteries has both advantages and disadvantages...

As for Longevity, it depends on your usage:

(i) if you charge your batteries with normal Generator, and
(ii) you wait for it to completely drain itself before the next charge
The batteries won't last.

- Charging with PHCN (Nepa) Light, (a lot Solar panels basically useful during the day)
- don't allow the inverter start making noise (battery low) before the next charge,
- use minimal load
You will enjoy your batteries either dry cell or Lithium.

Lithium batteries are more profitable to marketers and engineers than dry cell...I rest my case here lipsrsealed

Please explain why lithium batteries are more profitable? Is it that they ship out faster than dry cell? Why the preference?
Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by main24(m): 1:35pm On Feb 13, 2023
iyke2frankeze:

I use dry cell. The lithium battery does not take much time before it will start having problems and requiring change of acid but dry cell will last until the duration without any pro. My friends who bought lithium are envying me right now. Secondly I have move to a bigger office which forced me to disconnect and reconnect the battery and nothing happened to it.

lol, dry cell is still the best.

Lithium batteries is more profitable to both marketers and engineers, that is why they will always recommend it.

Battery Longevity depends on usage and what you use in charging it.
Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by seunjungle1(m): 1:36pm On Feb 13, 2023
This kind of a thing is not for people wey dey manage oo... One million plus for solar inverter. That money go do small business that can add additional value to life

4 Likes

Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by Amosbaba(m): 1:36pm On Feb 13, 2023
You made a good investment, I'm an installer based in Lagos. I don't know the point you're trying to make but I can say your storage is not bad for your loads and if you intend more hours of usage add 2 more Panels of 280w capacity to the existing 4pcs. As this will enhance fast charging of your batteries even while in use with the daily a available sun hours.

utepu:
Thanks for sharing bro

ote author=Compliant post=120857113]Greetings.

After seeing a topic that made front page on power situation in Nigeria, I felt it will be necessary to create this thread for EDUCATIONAL PURPOSE ONLY.

Please let's share ideas on this solar installation, cost implications, down side and many more.

I neither sell nor have knowledge of solar system but on 24th December 2022 I engaged someone to install solar for me due to the power situation here in Abuja especially during dry season.

Well to cut the long story short, I decided to go for 3kva inverter with inbuilt charge controller, 4 280w felicity mono panel with 2 200amh dry cell battery with a cost implication of around 1 million

Breakdown:
1. 280w felicity mono panel 84,000 per 1 ( note: the person promised me 300w for 84,000 only for him to bring 280w and the excuse he gave me was that the 300w is not a strong product but felicity product is durable)

2. 3KVA 24V inverter with inbuilt charge controller 290,000

3. Battery 200amh 160,000 per 1 dry cell

4. Battery rack, installation kits and installation charge 150,000

Mind you, I base in Abuja where things are a little expensive, so i believed its possible to get it at a cheaper rate elsewhere.

I did not connect my fridge at all but lighting points are connected, smart TV of 55inche and 45inche are connected and I can use any depending if I am in the seating room or inner room.

DISCOVERY: once it is 6:30pm the solar stop charging via panel and i can use my bulbs and TV and 2 fans for hours (i.e i watch TV from 6:30pm to maybe 9pm before going to bed and i switch on at least 8 bulbs from that 6:30pm till 6:30am the following day when the inverter automatically starts charging again via solar.

I also discover that in this solar installation, having a very good battery will safe you alot and also dry cell battery can go bad even within 2months if installed before and then you disconnect and reconnect after like 2-3month probably due to relocation issue.

Please kindly share your own view without insult let's learn one or two things.

Thanks

Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by main24(m): 1:40pm On Feb 13, 2023
3seriez:

Please explain why lithium batteries are more profitable? Is it that they ship out faster than dry cell? Why the preference?

Shipping cost; The battery box is shipped without distilled water most times, so it is lighter than dry cell batteries.
When it lands here, they fill it, priced increased.
The regular maintenance cost too...
Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by tonididdy(m): 1:40pm On Feb 13, 2023
bassdow:

The BATTERY SELLER / SOLAR INSTALLER should be blamed. Why get a FLOODed battery for a customer without first understanding if they have the requisite knowledge on how to care for it.

This is how they end up killing people's mindSet on things like this.

If care isn't taken, there would come a time people would STONE you when you try INTRODUCing anything SOLAR to them. Make we no dey put MONEY above everything else.

Well you are right but how many installers care about such information to their clients.
Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by litaninja(m): 1:42pm On Feb 13, 2023
For extensive knowledge and information on solar / renewable energy in Nigeria, the thread you want is [url] https://www.nairaland.com/390522/solar-energy-complement-fta [/url]

Than me later

3 Likes

Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by wazzihu(m): 1:42pm On Feb 13, 2023
Here is my setup 3kva 24v, 7 300wats panel 24v, 4 220mah Luminous Tubular wet cell battery .with MPPT charge controller 60A, MPPT charge controller charges the battery faster but expensive than normal charge controller

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by Amosbaba(m): 1:43pm On Feb 13, 2023
babastanlolo:
How is it possible to use 2 200amps batteries for a 5kva inverter, which should at least be 48 Volts? Was thinking that would require 4 batteries. please, educate me.

Ideally 5kva should be 48v (4 batteries system), but as the saying nothing is impossible, in a rear case some Chinese inverter rating comes 5kva/24v
Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by main24(m): 1:43pm On Feb 13, 2023
Mynd44:

Where do you people get your alternate facts from. As long as you do not abuse your batteries and try to make sure you do not discharge them up to zero, they will last.
The one I used before, I sold to a friend and he is still using them. This is the third year they have been in use

💯✔

1 Like

Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by bassdow: 1:45pm On Feb 13, 2023
tonididdy:

Well you are right but how many installers care about such information to their clients.

See eh, a lot of So called INSTALLERs are nothing to write home about. Most are in that field because they no see work do.

Cool down ask them very simple electrical question, and see how easily most would flop.

There are even PROFESSIONALs who don't know there's something called MPPT, let alone it's PROs and CONs.

unfortunately, na such people sabi catch high paying clients wella

15 Likes

Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by tonididdy(m): 1:46pm On Feb 13, 2023
Mynd44:
When you gobinverter, you have to buy appliances by the power ratings. Those 100 or 60 watts bulbs have to go. I use the 5 watts bulbs now

Inverter AC, Refrigerator and freezer.

I have about 5 fans all low energy(60 watts).

Even my microwave is inverter type so you don't drain all the power you have

Jesu! Microwave even grin
If you not buy new batteries this year or next please ban me from NL forever. I just figured you’re a mod

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by Orissodiq: 1:46pm On Feb 13, 2023
Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by bassdow: 1:48pm On Feb 13, 2023
omakay:

The fans at 60wats is not low enough. I use DC fans of 30watts.

Solar is the way to go when you use low energy consuming electronics.

OX fan people, this matter no concern una oo.

for all my FANs, I just buy (tokunbo) RECHARGEABLE FANs, switch out their batteries, and use them like it's AC, but now on DC.

It's WASTEful to stepUp/inVert 12 or 24 or 48 Volts up to 240Volts, only to inVERT/stepDown it downwards to <= 30Volts . I recall saying somewhere on Nairaland i could run my laptop for over 3-days without running out of battery and some people doubted me.

9 Likes

Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by Topmaike007(m): 1:50pm On Feb 13, 2023
Mynd44:

No, I dont. I just use them continually for two years.

Uncle Sodiq
ogbon agbon ju
Re: Solar Inverters: Cost Implication, Durability And Issues by Mynd44: 1:50pm On Feb 13, 2023
tonididdy:

Jesu! Microwave even grin
If you not buy new batteries this year or next please ban me from NL forever. I just figured you’re a mod
same batteries I have been using for 2 years without a drop in efficiency?

I have noticed you biko

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Top 10 Strangest Buildings In The World / Prince Ebeano Supermarket In Lekki On Fire / Construction Of A Low Cost Three Bedroom bungalow In Suleja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.