Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,112 members, 7,835,754 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:24 PM

Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria - Culture (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria (27408 Views)

Igala Language In Anambra State. / Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu / Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by redsun(m): 8:39pm On Sep 06, 2007
Let me give some of you bored dumbos an assigment to do that may keep you busy and enlighten you a bit.Can you guys do findings on virtual reality as regards to communication and a diffrent cultural phase of humankind.We are still jabbering about english language while the real world is pitching their tents in mars.I can't seize to be amazed at a typical black man's little view of the word.
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by debosky(m): 8:46pm On Sep 06, 2007
what 'real world' is pitching their tent in mars?

don't the Astronauts learn to communicate in English before going on to do more difficult tasks? or na pidgin dem dey yarn for mars? grin

When simple mastery of language is beyond you, how do you honestly expect to accomplish greater things Mr redsun to whom only white meat 'measures up to his realm'?

PS- the above quotation was an attempt to sound intelligent by using big. . you guessed it! - English words like 'realm', but ends up a completely meaningless statement - someone talking about colonial mentality but is living in the uk and is enslaved to white crumpet grin grin
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by redsun(m): 8:49pm On Sep 06, 2007
Dick head debosky,does the chinese, japanse or russians speak english?
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ThiefOfHearts(f): 8:53pm On Sep 06, 2007
Is English their national language?
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by Mustay(m): 8:56pm On Sep 06, 2007
doyin13:

Redsun you are an oxymoron hehehehe my english don dey improve o

You no like their language too much

but you dey like pipe their women grin grin grin

grin grin
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by debosky(m): 9:02pm On Sep 06, 2007
Russian astronauts who work on the international space station (ISS) speak English, the Japanese astronauts will speak English when it is needed, so will the Chinese.

Einstein - one of the greatest minds ever, was Jewish/German in origin, did he speak English?

What language do the majority of Nobel prize winners and even the dominant nation in space exploration speak? Yoruba? grin grin

dude you have no point, shagging all them white gals has reduced your brain cells irreparably grin
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by soulpatrol(f): 9:02pm On Sep 06, 2007
redsun, walai i just popped an artery in my brain. ur responses just keep getting "ridiculouser" grin
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by redsun(m): 9:04pm On Sep 06, 2007
Why must english be our official language,are we english?an english man is anglo- saxon.And you mustay, what has language got to do with bitches?some white women are natural and have less faith in the draconian men dominated system,that is why they go with real black men because they want to feel the natural rythms of nature.
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:05pm On Sep 06, 2007
Lmao all the screaming about "colonial mentality" and they still grovel at the white woman's feet.

"How to get a white woman in England"
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by romeo(m): 9:05pm On Sep 06, 2007
redsun i love your way of telling them grin grin grin

(We are still jabbering about english language while the real world is pitching their tents in mars.I can't seize to be amazed at a typical black man's little view of the world.)
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by debosky(m): 9:07pm On Sep 06, 2007
even in a one line post his poor grasp of the lingo is evident. grin grin

mr redsun, how are you helping Africa and indigenous languages by staying in the UK and shagging white crumpet all day? Or is that the 'mars that the world is pitching their tent' in? grin

Or your research is into the dynamics of the white 'center of attraction' ? grin grin

romeo why did you have to rephrase his speech to make sense to us? grin grin So his obvious inability to communicate is evident to even you his supporter cheesy

and PS - the right word is 'cease' not 'seize' grin grin
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:08pm On Sep 06, 2007
Because Nigeria was ruled by the British?? Once they left, your people should have voted for pidgin to replace it. You still have time though.

Why is Portugese the language of Brazil?
Why is French the language of Togo/Senegal, etc
Why is English the language of Ghana?
Why is English the language of America

Are you serious with these idiotic questions?
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by redsun(m): 9:08pm On Sep 06, 2007
desbosky,you seems to have answer your puzzles,keep it up,you will get there.
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:11pm On Sep 06, 2007
lmao debo. These people are mere comedians

before it was "man's view of the word"

For a minute there I thought he was referring to the Bible cheesy
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by FufuKing1(m): 9:16pm On Sep 06, 2007
LMAO!

This thread cracks me up so much.

Like they say, common sense isn't so common after all. cool cool cool
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by debosky(m): 9:20pm On Sep 06, 2007
They are not even trying to make this discourse interesting at all. sad

I am beginning to see part of Fufu's aversion to pidgin, if they were rooting for indigenous languages or something, I would understand, but they just keep jumping through hoops and confusing themselves. Some people like 925 have proposed cogent reasons to return to use of indigenous languages in instruction and education, but court jesters like redsun just amuse me.

Romeo its your turn - what are your contributions to Nigeria/Africa. . .or maybe i should reduce it to the Igbo liberation from the shackles of 'oyibo man's language'? Or don't tell me your own side of the research is Spanish Crumpet? grin grin
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:34pm On Sep 06, 2007
ki Olorun fun awa naa crumpet o
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by romeo(m): 9:42pm On Sep 06, 2007
debosky:

Romeo its your turn - what are your contributions to Nigeria/Africa. . .or maybe i should reduce it to the Igbo liberation from the shackles of 'oyibo man's language'? Or don't tell me your own side of the research is Spanish Crumpet? grin grin

you seem to misunderstand my point in this whole thread!! i am not against people speaking English language but what i am against is people overlooking some more important subjects academically, people attaching so much importance to English above every other thing in education, after all it is all about communicating with people and the more you know it or the lesser you know it should not be an issue

Debo, i speak and write Igbo perfectly and the worst thing that can happen to me is being able to write and speak perfect English without having a clue on where to start with my own language grin grin

before i forget grin grin grin grin na igbo crumpet be my area of research
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by soulpatrol(f): 9:53pm On Sep 06, 2007
what the hell is a crumpet?
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by debosky(m): 9:54pm On Sep 06, 2007
Romeo I thank God for your life, if you no fir speak Igbo properly, I for tell Ndi Igbo to disown you with immediate effect cheesy

coming back to the issue of English vis a vis other academically important subjects, as a research assistant, one thing I've learned is this - regardless of how good or excellent your math/chemistry/physics/engineering/biotech skills or discoveries are, if you cannot present your work (in academic journals and conference presentations) in presentable and understandable English (usually the language of publication) or whatever language is accepted in that field

you will go unnoticed and unrecognised, in fact your journal publication will be rejected outright and never published, ditto for proposals to get grants to fund your research. All your hard work might as well go down the drain without proper presentation/communication to your target audience

In that regard, you can never over-emphasise the importance of developing good communication skills, and it begins by imbibing a habit of speaking/writing proper English with minimal errors.

If you fail in this seemingly unimportant area, you might be severely limiting your growth/potentials.

crumpet? hmm, where is doyin when you need him? grin
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by romeo(m): 9:56pm On Sep 06, 2007
soulpatrol:

what the hell is a crumpet?

teacher make i teach you small grin grin

crumpet na woman or sexy lady or c.u.n.t
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by Configur(m): 10:02pm On Sep 06, 2007
LOOK AT ALL THESE BASTARDS PROMOTING ENGLISH!! U HAD BETTER PROMOTE UR FATHER TONGUE OR IT SHALL NOT BE WELL WITH YOU grin NONSENSE

TRUE TO SAY THAT GOOD ENGLISH IS DECLINING IN NAIJA BUT IS DAT WHY SOME PEOPLE WANT TO HAVE MENTAL PROBLEM!!??

MY OWN IS SPEAK GOOD ENGLISH WHEN NECCESARY,BUT WHEN ITS TIME FOR AWON BOYS TO KAZI ON A KENTRO LEVEL,OMO NA PIDGIN O. PIDGIN MIXED WITH YORUBA IS D SWEETEST

NOTIN DO US PRODLY NIGERIAN!
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:06pm On Sep 06, 2007
May we all be "prodly" Nigerian as well.

anyway equating a woman to being a "cunt" is gross.

an INSUFFERABLE woman or man can be considered one, not just any regular person.

Better ask your white English friends to tell you the difference
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by romeo(m): 10:10pm On Sep 06, 2007
ThiefOfHearts:

anyway equating a woman to being a "cunt" is gross.

my apology to the ladies embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by soulpatrol(f): 10:11pm On Sep 06, 2007
u people want to finish this romeo guy sha. romeo, u self, edit ur responses before u post now, otherwise we'll keep throwing up with all these ur "ibons"  grin and by the way, i get ur definition of crumpet. i originally assumed it was that pancake looking food that brits like to eat, but then again, na una get una slangs. however, i don't think "woman" and "cunt" should be used in the same sentence. it's demeaning. just my view. whoever talks like that should be hung by their shlong.
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by debosky(m): 10:14pm On Sep 06, 2007
for the record it was romeo who equated crumpet to the other infamous c - word. In my experience, crumpet refers to a sexy lady, or is a crude way of describing the Instruments thereof. wink

BTW all this talk of crumpet is getting me hungry for a snack tongue
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by romeo(m): 10:32pm On Sep 06, 2007
i have already apologised embarassed embarassed
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by FufuKing1(m): 10:46pm On Sep 06, 2007
She sells seashells down by the seashore! cool
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by soulpatrol(f): 11:03pm On Sep 06, 2007
um, that was totally random huh? smiley
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by FufuKing1(m): 11:20pm On Sep 06, 2007
soulpatrol:

um, that was totally random huh? smiley

LOL. It's a tongue-twister.

I wonder how you translate that into pidgin?
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ssRhino: 11:21pm On Sep 06, 2007
Y'all don spoil finish
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by Mustay(m): 11:34pm On Sep 06, 2007
grin grin grin grin grin
fu nny thread

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (19) (Reply)

Olubadan-In-Council Declares Eze Ndigbo Illegal / Ile-Ife Existed Before Birth Of Jesus Christ - Ooni of Ife / Late Alfred Akawe Torkula Tomb In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.