Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,400 members, 7,861,126 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 01:49 AM

Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria - Culture (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria (27559 Views)

Igala Language In Anambra State. / Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu / Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ThiefOfHearts(f): 4:12pm On Sep 06, 2007
Thank you soul, all this "loser/looser, where/wear, did/do" nonsense is driving me crazy

eg "do you have sex last night" thread

I'm pretty sure that person graduated too.  embarassed
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by romeo(m): 4:32pm On Sep 06, 2007
ThiefOfHearts:

Thank you soul, all this "loser/looser, where/wear, did/do" nonsense is driving me crazy

eg "do you have sex last night" thread

I'm pretty sure that person graduated too. embarassed

and i am yet to be impressed by both soul and thief with their English skills
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by soulpatrol(f): 4:53pm On Sep 06, 2007
@romeo. u can talk ehn? didn't i just give a small explanation for the correct use of certain words? i don't recall u doing anything helpful, except repeat what has aready been said! so watch it, brother! wink
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by soulpatrol(f): 4:55pm On Sep 06, 2007
we're here trying to help our fellow people out, and some people are talking smack. shuo!
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ThiefOfHearts(f): 4:56pm On Sep 06, 2007
Dude, stop crying.

You have a problem with the opinions of the thread then LEAVE abi ki lo de?

Who is looking to impress you? Did you think you impressed anyone by throwing kokoye language at doyin all in the name of merely telling him that he's an arsehole?

Get over yourself. It's funny how on the previous page, you were going on about terrible state of the school system which is all I've been talking about and now you are going on another retarded rant.
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by soulpatrol(f): 5:01pm On Sep 06, 2007
TOH, u dey mind am? he's obviously just looking for someone to give him an audience, seeing as he has exhausted all his smack talk on this forum. at least few of us are pointing out common mistakes our people make, yet he's here trying to act like an slowpoke (sorry bro, u made me say it grin)
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by soulpatrol(f): 5:02pm On Sep 06, 2007
romeo, romeo where art thou? grin
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:04pm On Sep 06, 2007
Are you minding that child, soul

At least you are helping. I myself I'm helping people on IM

For example

(Just got this IM out in the blue)

XX: well done sister
XX: cheesy
toyin3.: and you are?
XX: my name is yada yada,
toyin3.: and why are you IMing me?
toyin3.: what is 'well done"
XX: i,m just greeting you,if that is an embaracement to you am very sorry
toyin3.: since when is 'well done" a greeting?
temi T.: you say 'well done" when someone does something and it's done well
toyin3.: right?
toyin3: are you in the university?
XX: i,m just processing my admission now to lagos state polythecnic.isolo campus
toyin3.: studying what?
XX: i want to study Business Study as my 1st choice and Banking & finance as my 2nd choice
toyin3.: you're going to promise me something ok?
XX: ok,i will
toyin3.: you are going to take a few English classes when you are in school
XX: i did not understand u
toyin3.: when you get to the polytechnic, you are going to enroll in a few English classes
toyin3.: Writing well is soon going to be important to you. career and relationship wise
toyin3: so
toyin3: just a word to the wise k
toyin3.: can you promise me that?
XX: ok,i promise you,thanks you very much
toyin3.: you're welcome
toyin3.: how are you?
XX: where did u stay
toyin3.: It's "do" not did
toyin3.: I'm in The States
XX: lagos or where
toyin3.: um America,
XX: ok,i,m very happy for you
toyin3.: i wish you luck with the banking and finance. don't forget your promise
XX: i will not forget, thanks and between nice pic smiley
toyin3: Thanks. Bye smiley

See. that is my service to man-kind for I am on a mission  cool
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by FufuKing1(m): 5:09pm On Sep 06, 2007
redsun is full of bs.

He talks all this nonsense about colonial this, colonial that, but he lives in oyiboland. I guess the colonizers aren't THAT bad, huh redsun?
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by soulpatrol(f): 5:09pm On Sep 06, 2007
@TOH.  grin grin grin u funny gan o. chei, see as u just strict on the poor child. why didn't i have an English teacher like u in high school? thank God sha, upon all my teachers' whack English, i still managed to excel. good job, TOH. i hope others can learn o.  cheesy
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:10pm On Sep 06, 2007
soulpatrol:

romeo, romeo where art thou? grin

probably typing out another sermon, this time in German.
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by soulpatrol(f): 5:15pm On Sep 06, 2007
TOH, i kind of see a little bit of myself in u (get ur mind out the gutta grin) i mean that i'm usually hard on folks that can't spell properly. its a seeeerious pet peeve of mine. people say i'm harsh in pointing out other people's mistakes. considering this is a forum and we all definitely make spelling mistakes due to typing fast, i tend to judge people by how they write. it says a lot about their mentality. helping other people edit their term papers was always a trip for me! grin

and yeah, romeo must be on some other thread yapping some more crap tongue
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:20pm On Sep 06, 2007
I'm flattered, soul  tongue

My biggest peeves are abbreviations of words shorter than four or five letters. (to=2 angry )

Not knowing the difference between your/you're and the confusion of did/do.

Seriously I tend to ignore alot of Nairaland threads because these things seem to be too damn common. Gives me a headache.  embarassed
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by debosky(m): 5:21pm On Sep 06, 2007
who told Tiffy to start offering free English lessons? angry

No spoil business for us o, if not I will have to report you to the Lesson Teachers Association of Nigeria (LTAN) tongue
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by doyin13(m): 5:22pm On Sep 06, 2007
your all pedants on the lose tongue grin
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by soulpatrol(f): 5:25pm On Sep 06, 2007
@doyin. i KNOW u're (guilty as charged, TOH grin) saying that on purpose. wetin be "pedants"? smiley
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:25pm On Sep 06, 2007
debo, Im not offering lessons o. Just telling these jambites that they better take English classes when they get to the university.

Everyone else is being charged 25,000 naira per sentence  grin
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by soulpatrol(f): 5:25pm On Sep 06, 2007
;d
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by debosky(m): 5:50pm On Sep 06, 2007
pedants = tisha/oluko grin grin

Tiffy since you are not a registered member of LTAN, I must by law collect 70% of your fees. Please forward to my bank account ASAP wink
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:51pm On Sep 06, 2007
Arent banks banned in Canadia? tongue
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by redsun(m): 6:04pm On Sep 06, 2007
You guys,especially thief of heart and fufuking are bored small talkers,it kind of put me your realm remaining on this thread trying to relate with dumbos.Little wonder thief of heart is claiming that i tried to chart her up,imagination,if you are the last woman on earth,i will become gay,look overlooked,manners and concepts are zero acceptance and for your knowledge,i prefer white girls for they measure up to my realm,you know, not wannabes.To you akpuking,i ldon't hate white people or england,i admire their wits but i despice people like you who can't see that their wits and indoctrination is at the expense  of black people,they hijacked our way life and left us one quater breed with language and culture we don't understand,white man have started industrial age when they colonize africa,but till date,africans don't even understand the mechanism behind a wheel.We should be thinking of how to put wazobia into perspective,break it down for the common man,write books and teach technicality which is the bane of life in our respective indiginous languages.
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by debosky(m): 6:06pm On Sep 06, 2007
@ TOH Western Union will be gladly accepted wink

any takers to dissect redsun's last post for grammatical errors? Its a veritable gold mine I tell you grin grin
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by soulpatrol(f): 6:09pm On Sep 06, 2007
i could swear i felt an aneurysm just reading redsun's post. lipsrsealed
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:12pm On Sep 06, 2007
Lol I cant even be bothered to go thru that eyesore called a "post"

I see that he's still mad that I blocked him on YIM. o ma se o. soul_patrol, have pity on the boy and "chart" him up so he can feel better now.

biko cry
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by Iman3(m): 6:17pm On Sep 06, 2007
Abegi,I thinkin pidgin Englis is gooder for Nigerians.Why must us learn how to speaken good English,was it ours langage?
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:23pm On Sep 06, 2007
It's amazing that the ones who are taking this thread the hardest are exactly the same people this thread is obviously referring to

I mean check out redsun and Nella's posts. ridiculous.
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by soulpatrol(f): 6:38pm On Sep 06, 2007
LMAO. grin grin omigod girl i totally observed that too! and by the way, i don't think i want to "chart" with the guy. i'm good. i already have a headache from reading his big grammer post. grin
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by doyin13(m): 6:44pm On Sep 06, 2007
Redsun you are an oxymoron hehehehe my english don dey improve o

U no like their language too much

but you dey like pipe their women grin grin grin
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by soulpatrol(f): 6:54pm On Sep 06, 2007
u dey mind the bloke? he has obviously been jazzed by all that white meat. tongue
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by romeo(m): 7:29pm On Sep 06, 2007
i don't care if some little girls like soul_patrol and the Thief make some noise, but what i do care for is that people should not be deceived into believing that having upper hand in English language is an asset, check out Nigeria!! majority of the people that speak good English are hungry down to the bone

It is just an ability to speak another man's language cheesy cheesy, not knowledge and i sincerely hope that some cretins will grab the idea
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ThiefOfHearts(f): 8:36pm On Sep 06, 2007
another man's language kind of like Spanish.

Btw do people really think referring to opinionated women as being "little girls" a huge "insult" or something.
I AM someone's little girl after all  cheesy
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by sneijder(m): 8:38pm On Sep 06, 2007
GUY,
    BON3 RUNZ, D SO CALL3D 3NGLISH, IS IT UR FATH3R'S LANGUAG3? IF W3 CAN UND3RSTAND 3ACH OTH3R, NO      PROBL3M, LIF3 GO3S ON. MY GUY J3J3 LAY3! DON'T RUSH IT.
    L3T P3OPL3 SAY WAT TH3Y NO HOW TO SAY BEST.
    L8TR. lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (19) (Reply)

Why Alaafin Of Oyo And Aare Ona Kakanfo Can't Stay Together- Gani Adams / Ooni Of Ife & His Entourage At The Voice Of America Studios In Washington.Photos / Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.