Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,117 members, 7,835,763 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:35 PM

Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria - Culture (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria (27409 Views)

Igala Language In Anambra State. / Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu / Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by samsilo(m): 12:00am On Sep 07, 2007
@redsun
I put to you and all those defending poor English spoken and written by educated Nigerians. This is a reflection of poor self discipline and mental laziness, as debosky pointed out if one lacks the will to speak a language properly, I wonder where the will to carry out more demanding tasks will come from.
If I go to my village and start speaking my language in a garbled fashion at a town meeting ,I assure you they will not congratulate me for a job well done.
It is not a matter of colonial mentality etc,any language you speak whether its Hindi,speak it correctly
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by toshmann(m): 2:40am On Sep 07, 2007
samsilo:

any language you speak whether its Hindi,speak it correctly

correct!!!!!!!!!!!!! so make una allow man pikin to fire him pidgin de go. see, me wey dey here, i go blow the pidgin well well. so nobody go say i dey scatter de pidgin, but i dey blow am fine cool

anyhow anyhow slippers na shoe, canda na meat, mgbeke na babe. de main tin na communication. chikena cool
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by debosky(m): 2:50am On Sep 07, 2007
bros wetin be canda? undecided
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by na2day2(m): 6:09am On Sep 07, 2007
@ aloib,

na wetin cade yan wey u begin dey attack the bobo with ur 32? abi make hin no verify say we true true get ladies for this forum? no bi only hin dey doubt that fact at all. e pass just to choose female for the sex option to bi female, we go need do some verification to determine that they are biologically correct. so stop dey attack the bobo like that. and if u over vex with me, i go raise gbege for ur head, i no say u no bi bruce-li sista.

@ the rest of una

e don do. na pidgin english dey bring all this quarrel? i bow oooo! ok, we no sabi speak english, make una go die. the english we speak b4, na wetin una carry am do? abi the country bi improve? abi no bi from speaking grammar we kill our country b4 the english kon dabaru? we just dey act like typical nigerian politicians, wetin dey worry us, we no go address am, na wetin no dey relevant na hin we carry for head. france dey speak english? abi japan dey speak english? even the english man neva speak correct english and yet nobody don give am sack letter say make hin waka from the country, so why una wan break our head with this cyber crisis, hen? if pidgin becomes our unifying language, so bi it ooooo, i dey for the language back 24/7, and for una info, pidgin english dey relieve stress well well, dey speak am daily and u go see say u go dey fresh small, and ur blood pressure go dey kampe. so make una leave case, talk wetin truly dey wrong with our beloved country, and bring useful suggestion come table, u neva know hw far e go help ppl wey dey back home.

FYI: for all of una wey dey always come 9ja reunion dey form language and still dey mis-yan make una stop am oooo, if dey try bi akarta, no practice am for 9ja reunion. if i catch una again next yr, well, una go see pepper sha.
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by na2day2(m): 6:18am On Sep 07, 2007
i think u need to get ur facts right, there is no language spoken in today's world that still has its original format. languages will ever be evolving, thats why english, french etc will always have variations depend on where u are. calling it laziness is to get stuck in the last century. get up, move on and smell the new breeze (it might just be ur fart)

FYI: the queen's english like it is now is far different from what it was in the last 200 to 300 yrs ago, else we did still be speaking king james version of english as seen in the earlier translations.

samsilo:

@redsun
I put to you and all those defending poor English spoken and written by educated Nigerians. This is a reflection of poor self discipline and mental laziness, as debosky pointed out if one lacks the will to speak a language properly, I wonder where the will to carry out more demanding tasks will come from.
If I go to my village and start speaking my language in a garbled fashion at a town meeting ,I assure you they will not congratulate me for a job well done.
It is not a matter of colonial mentality etc,any language you speak whether its Hindi,speak it correctly
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by redsun(m): 12:30pm On Sep 07, 2007
Some of you idiots talk as if you are justifying colonialism,colonialism was as result of whiteman's greed and racist nature in bid to what they call bringing light and salvation to primitive native africans.Is that a legacy that we should be proud of today?No, this is the time and age that we should cleanse ourselves of colonial legacy and mentality and language and religion are key factors.Innovate,mastermind,and simplify bastards.The english before the roman invasion were primitive pagans,after the romans you have vikings, they came with their civilization and culture too which they blend with the natives couple with roman legacy to form what you as england today as well as the language.Thousands of years before this time,africa have seen glorious civilazation,which the greeks and romans copied and systematically wiped out to impose theirs on us and it is the continuation of what we have today,white man's civilization,infallible,good for you no question,ZOOBIES.
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by redsun(m): 12:44pm On Sep 07, 2007
Kai,thief of heart,you are just a bush girl.
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by FufuKing1(m): 12:48pm On Sep 07, 2007
redsun:

Some of you idiots talk as if you are justifying colonialism,colonialism was as result of whiteman's greed and racist nature in bid to what they call bringing light and salvation to primitive native africans.Is that a legacy that we should be proud of today?No, this is the time and age that we should cleanse ourselves of colonial legacy and mentality and language and religion are key factors.Innovate,mastermind,and simplify bastards.The english before the roman invasion were primitive pagans,after the romans you have vikings, they came with their civilization and culture too which they blend with the natives couple with roman legacy to form what you as england today as well as the language.Thousands of years before this time,africa have seen glorious civilazation,which the greeks and romans copied and systematically wiped out to impose theirs on us and it is the continuation of what we have today,white man's civilization,infallible,good for you no question,ZOOBIES.

So you're advocating the abolition of the English language as Nigeria's official language and banning Christianity? But what about Islam? That was brought over by the Arabs?

Also, I think the first step to fighting colonialism, would be for Africans to stop flocking to settle in their former colonial masters' countries. So get out of England and get your butt back in Naija, and put your money where your mouth is. cool
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:06pm On Sep 07, 2007
If I'm "bush" then you're merely toilet grime.

Fufu King:

Also, I think the first step to fighting colonialism, would be for Africans to stop flocking to settle in their former colonial masters' countries. So get out of England and get your butt back in Naija, and put your money where your mouth is. cool

Thank you. He's running his mouth yet he's in the "evil white man's " land and screwing their women. How can anyone take these people seriously? Lunatics.
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by Mustay(m): 3:17pm On Sep 07, 2007
Fufu King:

So you're advocating the abolition of the English language as Nigeria's official language and banning Christianity? But what about Islam? That was brought over by the Arabs?

Also, I think the first step to fighting colonialism, would be for Africans to stop flocking to settle in their former colonial masters' countries. [size=18pt]So get out of England and get your butt back in Naija, and put your money where your mouth is[/size]. cool
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by Iman3(m): 3:23pm On Sep 07, 2007
redsun:

Bros. . .dey use paragraphs na. . . or are paragraphs a product of colonialism too? W
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by romeo(m): 4:26pm On Sep 07, 2007
redsun you are saying the right thing and these hypocrites has nothing else to say except pointing to paragraphs and typos to polish their egos

and anybody calling you lunatic is typing right now from rehab center and shackled
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:24pm On Sep 07, 2007
Aww look at the passive agression.

This thread is really getting to you two isnt it?

pele. cheesy
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by romeo(m): 5:29pm On Sep 07, 2007
na only pele? Maradona nko?
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by debosky(m): 5:30pm On Sep 07, 2007
abeg wetin be 'ZOOBIES' ? na English word or na pidgin word? grin grin

BTW stop using complicated meaninglessly redsun, it just shows a lack of true intelligence being covered up with big grammar grin

what does Innovate,Mastermind and simplify bastards mean anyways?
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:51pm On Sep 07, 2007
hahah simplify zoobie

Lmao  cheesy
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by doyin13(m): 5:57pm On Sep 07, 2007
romeo:

na only pele? Maradona nko?

ol bob romeo

that joke is so terrible

its actually quite funny grin
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by Configur(m): 6:03pm On Sep 07, 2007
SORRY GUYS,TYPING ERROR, I MEANT PROUDLY NIGERIAN, IF U WAN GO ENTER WELL,NOTIN DO U grin
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:25pm On Sep 07, 2007
It's not your fault. "Always being Hot" must take a toll on your typing.
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by redsun(m): 8:45pm On Sep 07, 2007
Romeo,this guys are just too primitive to know the diffrence,even if you talk to them from now till the end of time they won't get it.The problem in africa is not education,rather it is fundamental,people don't know what humanity means,what citizenship stands for,that is why they don't take pride in projecting their image to the world,they just make do with other people's ideas and creation,and take pride in them,just like sub-humans,not fit for purpose.Wales a country in united kingdom,still maintain and project their language and ways of life,despite english influence and pressure.Even birds,monkeys have ways of life that are unique and original to them,but we so-called humans just believe in fake,we still live and reason as if we are in the dark age.Qualified universities engineers in nigeria can't handle spanners,yet we are talking of english,do we need english language to be technical?no,what you need is common sense and formular that comes with the mechanism of nature,all those street mechanics that people take for granted are more useful to the society than the english jabbering dumbos,this people can't speak english,yet they can disintegrate and integrate the engine of the state of the art car,give them a bit of push and support,they will make cars. Creativity not english is the backbone of any society.
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by romeo(m): 8:59pm On Sep 07, 2007
classical grin grin
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:02pm On Sep 07, 2007
If you wanna take "technical and creative skill" OUTSIDE of Nigeria then yes you do, slowpoke or even within Nigeria unless you are saying that foreigners/foreign companies dont exist in that country anymore.

But if you wanna stay limited and never go far, by all means restrict yourself. Ironically you two obviously havent as you ARE in other countries after all.

No one is gonna take you two seriously until you take your yahoo arses back to Nigeria so dont even bother with the rants. It's really just a waste of time cos you're not fooling anyone.
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:03pm On Sep 07, 2007
You know since you two are in Europe, homosexuality isnt illegal so. . .  cheesy
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by soulpatrol(f): 9:13pm On Sep 07, 2007
@TOH. LMAO grin grin grin grin u have certainly told those people. walai, i also was thinking that the bond between those 2 was questionable! grin
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by soulpatrol(f): 9:13pm On Sep 07, 2007
e be like say romeo has finally found his juliet, and she's a bloke! grin
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by debosky(m): 9:21pm On Sep 07, 2007
some people will never learn sha!

@ redsun

are you intentionally trying to prevent people from reading the gibberish you type by failing to punctuate properly? Not because of grammar this time, but for ease of reading .

Lumping all your words together like that is not doing any good, it just reinforces the current opinion that no matter what good ideas you may have in that nebulous mind of yours, your inability to clearly present/pass on your message will result in you being condemned to the rubbish bin.

Do you need English Language to be technical? No, but to be understood, you need a clear language of technical communication a means to pass on this great skill/knowledge that you have acquired

Going back to your statements on African civilization and the like, do you know one of the main reasons for their sudden demise was the lack of a written/transmittable language? All we had were oral traditions which are gradually if not completely being lost. Without a good means of preserving this knowledge for future generations, each new group has to restart from the beginning again

Once again - creativity, when clearly expressed will cause society to progress, but if we all act like you and refuse to learn to communicate adequately, we'll end up going to the grave with all the bright ideas, what a sad waste sad
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by romeo(m): 9:28pm On Sep 07, 2007
ThiefOfHearts:

If you want to take "technical and creative skill" OUTSIDE of Nigeria then yes you do, slowpoke or even within Nigeria unless you are saying that foreigners/foreign companies don't exist in that country anymore.

But if you want to stay limited and never go far, by all means restrict yourself. Ironically you two obviously havent as you ARE in other countries after all.

No one is going to take you two seriously until you take your yahoo arses back to Nigeria so don't even bother with the rants. It's really just a waste of time because you're not fooling anyone.

it's haven't and not havent

and please can you explain what you mean by yahoo arses?

soulpatrol:

e be like say romeo has finally found his juliet, and she's a bloke! grin

i hope this is not the first time you have seen gays?
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by champredd(m): 9:32pm On Sep 07, 2007
English no be my mother tongue, If I for talk am, I for talk am the way I like.
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by aloib(f): 9:33pm On Sep 07, 2007
abeg who get guguru
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:37pm On Sep 07, 2007
Obviously I'm implying that you are a yahoo boy or are you retarded as well?

and please don't even try to be funny, the most you could find is the fact that I dont tend to use the contraction apostrophe? Lol. Grasping for straws, are we? Lmao  grin

I have no problem with gays, I find them entertaining . I wish you and redsun all the luck in the world in regards to your relationship.  wink
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by Iman3(m): 9:38pm On Sep 07, 2007
aloib:

abeg who get guguru

You have had enough already grin
Re: Terrible State Of The English Language In Nigeria by debosky(m): 9:40pm On Sep 07, 2007
romeo don turn pedant too grin grin

who say we never get the message through?

one down one redsun to go cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (19) (Reply)

Olubadan-In-Council Declares Eze Ndigbo Illegal / Ile-Ife Existed Before Birth Of Jesus Christ - Ooni of Ife / Late Alfred Akawe Torkula Tomb In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.