Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,001 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:17 AM

Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State (51565 Views)

The Proposed Gelegele Seaport In Edo State / POLLS: Ijaws Table Jonathan’s Re-election Before Amasiekumor Deity -(PIC) / CAN President, Oritsejafor, Admits Ownership Of Cash-stacked Jet Seized In S.Afr (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by ChinenyeN(m): 9:10pm On Sep 21, 2011
nasoeb:

yet igbos will tell you they came from Israel . You came from Israel yet you claiming land with WE Nigerians and you even gave us language
. . . . Stop. If you had any serious inkling of understanding, you would know better than to say this, unless you were simply saying it out of nothing but spite.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by ezeagu(m): 10:23pm On Sep 21, 2011
nasoeb:
Confused Scums

There's no confusion here, step on land that's not yours northward and lose your leg. Remeber, "we need their number".
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Dede1(m): 11:41pm On Sep 21, 2011
killayut:

Dede1 is one ignoramus who might live and die in ignorance. AMACHREE is the European way of spelling AMAKIRI, AND AMAKIRI is an Ijaw word meaning native land. AMA is an Ijaw ord and not Igbo used by Igbos at the border with Ijaws. While Igbos name their towns as Umudede Ijaw would name it Dede-ama. The Igbos bordering Ijaws used the word ama to name of their towns which itself raise questions as to the real founders of such Igbo towns that have ama suffix. All or almost all eastern Ijaw towns have the ama to signify it as a town. Therefore AMAKIRI means land of the town or soul of the town since Ijaw towns are not just the land but also the marshy areas and creeks. Hence we have AMA poku ( meaning water side of the town ) Ama-toru ( water ways of the town ) AMA-OGBO ( central or town square ) AMA-etela ( major road of the town ),

If I say you are a redundant fool who will die as wretched gull, it is should be an understatement. Again, Ijo is not an ethnic group but a product of indigenous people who mixed with porters (mainly slaves and fishermen) the Europeans brought along with them from Gold Coast.

Ama is Igbo word for compound. In entire Igbo land, a person will come across clan names such Amaeke, Amaruru, Amaimo, Amandugba, Amatta, Amankuta, Amaigbo etc. In most places, the connotation has taken of title or name given to original owner of the compound. As in the case of the principal Igbo founders of what is know to as Bonny, Opobo, Okirika and Kalabari, they were fond of taking names after certain animals such as Ikiri, Ediabali, Azu, Udom, Edimiri, Ugo Uzodimgba and Egbe. In this respect, the compounds founded by these characters are named after them such Amaikiri, Amaudom, Amaduruoriaku, Amadimgba, Amaugo etc.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Dede1(m): 11:53pm On Sep 21, 2011
nasoeb:

Enough said and we have read / heard all the sarcasm. Benin empire and Benin this and that. Was Lagos not part of the Benin empire ? People are now redefining what an empire is. So if Nigeria was part of the British empire mean Nigeria belongs to the English huh ? These Benin morons are blinded cheap goats who can not see Ijaws beyond Gelegele . Gele gele is a settlement and the people speak Ijaw and not Benin or Edo. It is not an empty forest in dispute but a settled land from time long. No Oba of Benin has ever fought wars with the Ijaws and claimed GELEGELE was an Edo town. It maybe a town under the Old Benin empire but never an Edo town so the Obazuwas should know. If an Ijaw man or militant has taken laws in to his hand by attacking innocent Nigerians, such a person or persons should be arrested and dealt with accordingly but to say a round headed, mud house loving ,wen hen yen saying twerp from Benin would come to Gelegele to sack the natives is a gross miss yearning. No one wants any one dead but the murder of a GELEGELE IJAW by any Benin scum would be met with equal force. The protection of any part of Ijaw land and any Ijaw is the obligation of every Ijaw from Rivers, Delta, Bayelsa, Ondo, Edo, Akwa Ibom state.

GOD IN HEAVEN BLESS YOU.

YOU WILL LIVE LONG.

I have not seen any one with so much stupidity like that he-goats called DeDe1, who can not even wash his yansh properly wants to come here and talk to elders what he knows ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in his stinky life.

Igbo gave this name, igbo gave that name, so childish, only a foolish person like him will think igbo language fell down from Heaven. igbo language was personally given to his grandfather by Angel to share to others.

Yoruba speak, yoruba was gotten from igbo
hausa speak, hausa was gotten from igbo, Only foolish "children" thinks and behaves like that

yet igbos will tell you they came from Israel . You came from Israel yet you claiming land with WE Nigerians and you even gave us language

Confused Scums

You and Ijo are nobody. It should be an insult to dullards If I should refer you as one. I hope you realize that fools such as you shall cease to exist if you are visited with what you wished if cesspit called Nigeria comes to a halt. The Princes in Bini have stated what some of us knew for a long time that your forbearers were slaves turned into porters and migrant fishermen. You can twist yourself out of human with cause, I shall continue to tell the truth.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Dede1(m): 12:06am On Sep 22, 2011
killayut:

If Nigeria is not one country let us define our boundary and go our ways to avoid this stupidity. But if Nigeria is one country then Nigerians where ever should have the right to live and survive, What is this nonsense ? Telling a human being he does not have right at where he was born and living when you do not live there . Idiots, Can this happen in USA, CANADA, UK ? Nigerians are the most racist monkeys.

When a nitwit such as you wrote the above crap, did you remember the "abandon property" policy Nigerian government under Gowon and Rivers State goivernemnet under Dietto Spiff stood up in Port Harcourt? I guess the Ijo and Spiff are more than idiots when they confiscated the properties belonging to fellow Nigerians as “abandon property”. Ijo have never owned a structure outside the boat.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by nasoeb: 12:25am On Sep 22, 2011
The only mistake i will do is to talk to a child like you who dont know the history of the creation of his own state.

I would manage to discuss with your elders and igwe at least they wont be as forsaken and frustrated as nwa-boy (apprentice) like you. if your oga refused to pay you because of obvious foolishness, then its wise you pick up arms and take it up on your fellow scums as the usual trend of kidnapping and human rituals you people are WELL KNOWN for.

Why should i be exchanging words with human ritual, shorr i dey f big time.

until i see your igwe or elders here in NL,, go back to shop nwa-boy.

igbos will continue to be slaves
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by asha80(m): 12:44am On Sep 22, 2011
nasoeb:

The only mistake i will do is to talk to a child like you who dont know the history of the creation of his own state.

I would manage to discuss with your elders and igwe at least they wont be as forsaken and frustrated as nwa-boy (apprentice) like you. if your oga refused to pay you because of obvious foolishness, then its wise you pick up arms and take it up on your fellow scums as the usual trend of kidnapping and human rituals you people are WELL KNOWN for.

Why should i be exchanging words with human ritual, shorr i dey f big time.

until i see your igwe or elders here in NL,, go back to shop nwa-boy.

*nasoeb puffs out and logs out safisfied with his rants*

my guy your problem is with the binis
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by ChinenyeN(m): 12:49am On Sep 22, 2011
nasoeb:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Tamuno i bawu.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Ibime(m): 1:18am On Sep 22, 2011
Since Nasoeb is a Bonny boy, Ndigbo should feel free to come and claim him. From his vituperations on this thread, a big shock awaits any Ndigbo who would try to claim a Bonny man as one of his own.

Ama means town in Ijaw

Whilst Wari means House or Compound.

It would seem the Southern Igbo took the name Ama from their Ijaw neighbours or vice-versa or perhaps its just a mere coincidence. I don't see the French claiming that they own the Television just because the English stole the word from France. Nor do the Romans own the word Bath just because they invented the Bath. The attempt by Dede to claim exclusivity of a word speaks more of his neanderthal approach to issues. Our forefathers have been exchaning wards and wares since Dede's great-great-great-great-great grandfather was wearing nappies.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by ChinenyeN(m): 1:59am On Sep 22, 2011
Nasoeb doesn't strike me as anything surprising. Even his 'vituperations' are typical and standard, considering. . and why are people even contesting 'ama'? undecided
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by udezue(m): 2:54am On Sep 22, 2011
Ama is an Igbo word. It is widely used in Northern Igbo land not just in the South.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by udezue(m): 3:03am On Sep 22, 2011
Naesob, please how can the progressive Igbo be slaves when ur poverty stricken ppl have nothing to claim as ownership except water? The land that u even call ur own is probably not yours hence u are fighting for it? A landless idioot like u. If u think u are so big and bad march north towards Igbo land and u will be pushed into the ocean. Even Bonny and Opobo are Igbo land. The majority of the inhabitants are of Igbo stock. You continue your face-off with ur small Bini neighbors and hope u win that battle. Bloody miscreants.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Onlytruth(m): 3:28am On Sep 22, 2011
If I were an Ijaw man or woman, I would avoid any verbal altercations with any Igbo because it doesn't make any sense.
By divine design, we are neighbors and share words. "Ama" is thorough Igbo. It means compound or family compound entrance (Anambra Igbo). So, no need to quarrel over a word we share. All you need to do is look at the map and observe the two tribal zones -Igboland and Ijaw lands and you would stop arguing. One side is clearly land, while the other is mash or creek lands. One has serious road networks while the other barely has any. Methinks it reflects the culture and attitude of each tribe towards the issue of land. I suspect that Ijaw see land as a temporary thing, hence they develop it less. Ijaw are migrant fishermen. Igbo are farmers. Igbo see land as a permanent thing, so they develop it more. IMHO.
But, I think that this thread is about Ijaw and Bini; so I would also advise my Igbo brothers to steer clear here.

Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by udezue(m): 3:52am On Sep 22, 2011
@OnlyTruth, Their illiterate leaders were bamboozled into fighting for One Nigeria, Nigeria have used Shell and Chevron to destroy their environment hence the Ijo are seriously landless and seeking land anywhere they can find it. Its a desperate situation for them but that gives them no right to attack natives of other land. Its not the fault of the Bini man that Ijo man can't find a land to call his own without conflict in 2011. This is why they are seriously but hopelessly praying the Igbos of Bonny and Opobo stop being Igbo overnight and answer Ijo and speak Ijo language coz they know that as long Igbo is the native tongue of the people of Bonny, Opobo and parts of Bayelsa they cannot lay claim to such places without having to answer to the larger Igbo nation. They are already trying to claim Ilaje as Ijo but I trust Yoruba to be not as stup!d as the Ikwerre. They won't abandon their identity any day just to get along with ppl who don't even like them.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Onlytruth(m): 4:07am On Sep 22, 2011
@udezue

You are correct about the fact that Ijaw lacks land. I said the same thing sometime ago about sea encroachment and Ijaw land.
They are going about the issue the wrong way because I don't see them bullying any tribe in that N.delta area. Even the Ogoni are distancing from them and warning them not to include them in their so called Niger Delta Republic.
When you antagonize all your neighbors over things you can have with good attitude, you won't survive.

I read somewhere on Nairaland that Igbos and Ijaws intermarry a lot. Infact they do so more that any other two groups in southern Nigeria. So, that may save Ijaw one day when they run out of land. But if they continue with antagonism, others would not sympathize with them on the day of evil. cool
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by ChinenyeN(m): 4:08am On Sep 22, 2011
Truth is, as far as "nationalists" are concerned, there is an assumed demarcation between "Igbo" and "Ijo" areas. But the Ijo have a disposition, which this "nationalist" theme favors very well. It's enabled lies and created 'no-contest' propaganda, and honestly, I take it personally.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by ChinenyeN(m): 4:15am On Sep 22, 2011
Onlytruth:

I read somewhere on Nairaland that Igbos and Ijaws intermarry a lot. Infact they do so more that any other two groups in southern Nigeria. So, that may save Ijaw one day when they run out of land. But if they continue with antagonism, others would not sympathize with them on the day of evil. cool
No. It won't save them. I pray it doesn't.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by PhysicsQED(m): 4:48am On Sep 22, 2011
killayut:

Why are Ijaws  so hated by their neighbors ? Who has been living in Gelegele ? Is there any Bini family in Gelegele laying claim to the town or just  some Bini people else where  ?  This is funny . Gelegele is not a forest  but a settlement where people have been living  and dying  and being buried . Are bini  people being buried at Gelegele  cemetery   ?  So if the ancient Bini people  recognized the existence of Ijaws in Gelegele and came down to trade with them  without problem  why are BINIS of today trying to do the otherwise ?? Simple question.

You must think people are naive or foolish or something and you can just bamboozle people with nonsensical reasoning and lies.

I posed a question to one Batubo earlier and that person completely ducked out when they realized how ridiculous their statement was, so I am going to ask the same question again and see if I can get a rational answer.

Are you asserting that any group in Nigeria has the right to come to the southern part of Rivers state and proclaim a land controlling traditional royalty in a place after enough decades have passed? And then claim ethnic ownership of that area?

Nigeria is not full. There is enough space in many areas and your own Ijaw land is not entirely filled up. For your own sake, you had better hope that you aren't claiming that just anybody can settle in your Ijaw coastal territories and start claiming to own those places.

Some people are claiming that Siluko is Ijaw and somebody is trying to claim it for an Ijaw LGA or Toru-Ebe state. Is Siluko an Ijaw name now?!

One person on this forum claimed that Sallogun was Ijaw today even though it was specifically designated as not Ijaw by the British colonialists in the earlier 1900s. Today, they are claiming it.

This is the same thing with Gelegele. It was once not filled with Ijaws, just as Siluko, Sallogun, etc, were not.

Just because you have populated an already established place, it does not give you the right to proclaim fake kingdoms there or to try to attack others there and claim ethnic ownership of a place for resources.

What I found particularly funny was this statement:

"Gelegele is not a forest  but a settlement where people have been living  and dying  and being buried . Are bini  people being buried at Gelegele  cemetery   ?  So if the ancient Bini people  recognized the existence of Ijaws in Gelegele and came down to trade with them  without problem  why are BINIS of today trying to do the otherwise ?? Simple question."

There would be no Gelegele if not for the ancient Binis. You conveniently left that part out.

A whole major road in pre-colonial Benin was named Gelegele and it led to an area called Gelegele (the area was named after the village of Gelegele, which was founded by Binis and majority Bini for centuries) which was under the supervision of the Ezomo of Benin.

Was the Benin kingdom in the habit of naming things after obscure Ijaw villages?

Also, what's this about "the ancient Binis came down to trade with them"?

You have it backwards. Binis did not seek out the Ijaws to trade with. That doesn't even make logical sense for a whole slew of reasons, one of which is that the Ijaws had little that the Binis couldn't get from the Europeans directly. The Ijaws came to trade with the Binis in Bini land, not the other way around.

And please don't pretend that in the past the ancient IJAWS  ever attempted to proclaim that there was an Ijaw traditional ruler in Bini land. Why are IJAWS of today trying to do otherwise?

If these people are not confronted about their nonsense, soon we'll be hearing about an Ijaw ownership of part of Okomu.

Oh wait. That's already happened!

Shameless descendants of migrant Ijaw timber fellers are claiming ownership of part of the Okomu area.

They are trying to do the same thing with "Okomu-Ijaw" that they are doing with Gelegele.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by PhysicsQED(m): 5:00am On Sep 22, 2011
nasoeb: Gelegele rightfully belong to the ijaws. In those days the ijaws were hiring the Bini slaves to work and cater for their kids as they were complaining that they were being maltreated by their "uselesss" ruler.

Bini slaves to Ijaws? Lol @ this nonsense. Get out of here with your fairytales. Stick to Bonny and Rivers and refrain from commenting on the Midwest that you know nothing about.

the few that were employed tried their best to establish good relationship tier with the ijaws, knowing their reputation in battle so that if anything should happen, they will run to the ijaws to be protected.

What reputation in battle? Reputation in battle or reputation in piracy? Nobody in any place in Nigeria was at any time scared of any Ijaws. This so called battle reputation was invented by the Nigerian press after the Nigerian military restrained itself from using full force against militants.

There was never any time when Ijaws had a military reputation that would make any other group see them as a threat or as protectors, and certainly not several decades ago. This was definitely not the case in the Midwest.

In 1854, an army of over 10,000 Bini soldiers was sent by the Oba of Benin to crush the forces of his half-brother, a rebel prince who was trying to claim the throne. That's something that was noted in writing by other people without any bragging about their "battle reputation" on the part of the Binis. And you think the same Bini people who were sending out large army contingents from their population took any notice of the so-called battle reputation of Izon pirates, fishermen and ferrymen?

And that was how the ijaws gave free hand to the binis.

You really are shameless. Imagine settlers giving out land.

we need say the truth as it is, no matter where i come from, we have to say the truth and give the ijaws what belong to them

There is no truth in anything you claimed. You were on this thread earlier, why did you come here only after the thread had already died down to spread this made up story about "Bini slaves" and "battle reputation"?

The Binis didn't need to get any free land from any Ijaws.

The same way Ijaws came to Okomu for timber felling on land they didn't own, they came to Gelegele for trade on land they didn't own. If not for the Binis, they would not be seen in these areas.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by PhysicsQED(m): 5:24am On Sep 22, 2011
killayut:

Enough said and we have  read / heard all the sarcasm.  Benin  empire and Benin this and that. Was Lagos not part of the Benin empire ? People  are  now redefining  what an empire is. So if Nigeria was part of the British empire mean Nigeria   belongs to the English  huh ?  These Benin morons are blinded  cheap goats who can not see Ijaws  beyond  Gelegele . Gele gele  is a settlement and the people speak Ijaw and not Benin or Edo. It is not an empty forest in dispute but a settled  land from time long. No Oba of  Benin has ever fought wars with the Ijaws and  claimed GELEGELE  was an Edo town. It maybe a town under the Old Benin empire  but never an Edo town so the Obazuwas  should know.   If an Ijaw man or militant has taken laws in to his hand by attacking innocent Nigerians, such a person or persons  should be arrested and dealt with accordingly  but to say  a round headed, mud house loving ,wen hen yen saying twerp from Benin  would come to Gelegele to sack the natives  is a gross miss yearning. No one wants any one dead  but the murder of a GELEGELE IJAW by any Benin scum would be met with equal force.  The protection of any part of Ijaw land and any Ijaw is the obligation of every Ijaw from Rivers, Delta, Bayelsa, Ondo, Edo, Akwa Ibom state.

Killayut, you're a miscreant. You were the same fool who was claiming earlier that Ijaws had "settlements" in Ughoton and suggesting that they had any claim to part of Ughoton. Any Ijaws in Ughoton do not have "ethnic ownership" of any area of Ughoton and any people from the so-called Ijaw settlements in Ughoton, like their cousins in Gelegele, have no right to claim ethnic ownership of any area there.

1. How are morons like you going to come here and claim it was an Ijaw settlement when you people don't even know what to call it? Is it Gelegele or Gelegelegbini? Have you guys made up your minds yet? Imagine people who don't even know what to call a place deciding that they own it.

2. No Oba of Benin has ever seen Gelegele as a piece of Ijawland or an Ijaw town. The very idea of this is ridiculous and there is nothing to support this claim.

3. It is not "if" an Ijaw militant has attacked innocent people. It's happened multiple times against multiple groups, not just Binis.

4. Round headed? What does that even mean? Look at Samson Siasia's head. Is he no longer Ijaw?

Mud house loving? The Binis had real houses. And large halls, and decorated floors, and walls decorated with elegant cloth, and courtyards, and impluvia, and columns, and gates, and patios, and gardens, and palaces with galleries, etc.    This is all already on the record from non-Bini observers.  What exactly did Ijaws have that I could mock in response? Fishing boats?

Lol, "wen hen yen" very funny. I'm not going to mock the Ijaw language and I couldn't care less what it sounds like. I'm sure the language sounds fine, but unfortunately the truth is that the people speaking it like to make trouble.

5. The Ijaws have no authority to claim ownership and make demands over an area they were allowed to be tenants in.

6. I also have to laugh at you blaming the country of Nigeria in your earlier post. If not for the country of Nigeria, there could never arise a situation where Ijaws could be claiming either of those areas and even you know this.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Obiagu1(m): 5:49am On Sep 22, 2011
PhysicsQED:

5. The Ijaws have no authority to claim ownership and make demands over the resources of an area they were allowed to be tenants in.

I said I won't comment here but this issue of giving someone land to settle and after so many years you came back and say they (the settlers) don't own the land is what I find hard to agree with. Ownership has changed hands; nothing more, nothing less. The settler cannot claim beyond what was given to them but at the same time cannot relinquish the land they've lived on for years.
They can't be sacked from the land, not possible.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by ChinenyeN(m): 6:00am On Sep 22, 2011
Obiagu1:

Yes, they can. It's been done before, and it can be done again.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by ChinenyeN(m): 6:02am On Sep 22, 2011
PhysicsQED:

I'm sure the language sounds fine, but unfortunately the truth is that the people speaking it like to make trouble.
Simple, but what's even more unfortunate is that their disposition won't allow them to change anytime soon, if ever.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by PhysicsQED(m): 6:09am On Sep 22, 2011
Obiagu1:

I said I won't comment here but this issue of giving someone land to settle and after so many years you came back and say they (the settlers) don't own the land is what I find hard to agree with. Ownership has changed hands; nothing more, nothing less. The settler cannot claim beyond what was given to them but at the same time cannot relinquish the land they've lived on for years.

I don't recall reading that the Benin palace tried to force the Ijaw inhabitants of Gelegele off the land.

And it was not as if some large number of Ijaws was given land. The few initial ones were allowed to peacefully coexist and they later populated a section of historic Benin land in larger numbers. Nothing wrong with that.

The only issue here is this claim of  ethnic ownership. If you accept that the land is truly "theirs", then all of Nigeria is a territorially open for land grabbing as far as "ethnic ownership" is concerned. Any and everybody can settle anywhere and later start claiming that their ethnic group or clan has paramount authority and ownership in any area.

If this is actually true, Rivers state is in for quite a shock. Let Rivers lead the way. Let Delta state follow, and maybe Edo state will give it consideration.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Obiagu1(m): 6:19am On Sep 22, 2011
PhysicsQED:

I don't recall reading that the Benin palace tried to force the Ijaw inhabitants of Gelegele off their land.

And it was not as if some large number of Ijaws was given land. The few initial ones were allowed to peacefully coexist and they later populated a section of historic Benin land in larger numbers. Nothing wrong with that.

The only issue here is this claim of  ethnic ownership. If you accept that the land is truly "theirs", then all of Nigeria is a territorially open for land grabbing as far as "ethnic ownership" is concerned. Any and everybody can settle anywhere and later start claiming that their ethnic group or clan has paramount authority and ownership in any area.

If this is actually true, Rivers state is in for quite a shock.

Yes every uninhabited territory is open for anyone. You cannot say they don't have ethnic ownership when they were not made subjects to the original people of the land neither were they assimilated. Can you say that the land is Benin when the people that live there are Ijaws?

I'll use the Olukunmi people in Anioma. If tomorrow they say they are no longer Anioma but Yoruba, no Igbo will claim their land. It'll only become a tiny Yoruba land in predominantly Igbo territory.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Obiagu1(m): 6:21am On Sep 22, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Yes, they can. It's been done before, and it can be done again.

You can only do that because you are more in number, simple.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by ChinenyeN(m): 6:25am On Sep 22, 2011
Obiagu1:

You can only do that because you are more in number, simple.
And so? That's how it's always been done throughout history, and if it's been done before, it can be done again.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Obiagu1(m): 6:29am On Sep 22, 2011
ChinenyeN:

And so? That's how it's always been done throughout history, and if it's been done before, it can be done again.

Original owners of a land can equally be sacked from their land. It has always been done throughout history as well.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by PhysicsQED(m): 6:36am On Sep 22, 2011
Obiagu1:

Yes every uninhabited territory is open for anyone. You cannot say they don't have ethnic ownership when they were not made subjects to the original people of the land. Can you say that the land is Benin when the people that live there are Ijaws?

1. How did you conclude that the territory was uninhabited? By some Bini elders being there? If there were never any Binis there, there would never have been any Ijaws there.

2. If any uninhabited territory is open for any group to later claim ethnic ownership of, then that's a new concept .  But let this movement start in Rivers state (especially Rivers state) or Delta first, before Edo state adopts this policy. There's no reason why Edo state should commit fully to a policy when there is no evidence that other states would commit to the exact same policy.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by ChinenyeN(m): 6:37am On Sep 22, 2011
So then we have a simple understanding, being that it's been done before and that it can be done again. There's no such thing as "you can't sack tenants".
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Obiagu1(m): 6:39am On Sep 22, 2011
PhysicsQED:

1. How did you conclude that the territory was uninhabited? By some Bini elders being there? If there were never any Binis there, there would never have been any Ijaws there.

2. If any uninhabited territory is open for any group to later claim ethnic ownership of, then that's a new concept .  But let this movement start in Rivers state (especially Rivers state) or Delta first, before Edo state adopts this policy. There's no reason why Edo state should commit fully to a policy when there is no evidence that other states would commit to the exact same policy.

Well, from what I've heard from the past, settlers were often given uninhabited forest to live in.

In terms of ethnic ownership, I can't say much but I know there were settlers all around my part of Nigeria and nobody went back to them and say, hey you are a settler so watch your step. They have the same authority with every neighbouring town and village. They've had absolute control of the land they settled in and do or claim whatever they could imagine.

My village settled in my present town but there were people there before we settled yet even kingship in the town is for everyone.

1 Like

Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by ChinenyeN(m): 6:44am On Sep 22, 2011
Obiagu1:

Well, from what I've heard from the past, settlers were often given uninhabited forest to live in.
I know this wasn't directed me, but I've got to interject here. You're right in some cases, but this never happened without the settlers paying some kind of tribute, and a traditional distinction is always maintained. That's all I wanted to interject.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (27) (Reply)

Obaseki To Demolish Tony Kabaka's Hotel In 7 Days. Kabaka Dares Him (Video) / If You Know How To Fix Nigeria How Come You Didn’t Teach Buhari? Paul Okoye / Nigerian Navy Officers Training In The Desert (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.