Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,165 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:59 AM

Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State - Politics (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State (51602 Views)

The Proposed Gelegele Seaport In Edo State / POLLS: Ijaws Table Jonathan’s Re-election Before Amasiekumor Deity -(PIC) / CAN President, Oritsejafor, Admits Ownership Of Cash-stacked Jet Seized In S.Afr (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Onlytruth(m): 6:10am On Oct 02, 2011
So, either Killayut is NOT Kalabari, or he is suffering from "stolen identity syndrome".
Most Kalabaris seem to have mixed blood -partly Igbo, Ibibio and Ijaw.
I can't see how a guy with Igbo blood would be harboring so much venom against Igbo.
That dude is pure imported Ijaw from Ghana. cool
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Nobody: 7:33am On Oct 02, 2011
Shei
Igbo people struggling hard to make KALABARI an Igbo ethnic group, I go laff die, Kalabari was a single town directly Opposite Bonny by the Bonny River and New Calabar river estuary The town like other towns like Okoloma, Tombia, Okrika, Minama, Bille, Nembe, Ifoko, Ke, Soku, Kula, were all Ijaw towns speaking the same Ijaw dialect, The towns of Okrika, Okoloma ( Bonny ) and Kalabari some how became more attractive that Ijaws from other towns started pouring in to them making them considerably larger over time. The clan heads of these 3 towns known as amayanabo AMA- YANABO ( owner of the town ) became powerful and during the colonial era when the Portuguese came tussle for the control of the creek and river root to the ocean to trade with the Portuguese caused rivalry among them. This rivalry led to imperialism. They rushed to control other smaller Ijaw settlments and due to proximity and location the KALABARI king was able to win over majority of the rest smaller Ijaw towns namely, ABALAMA, MINAMA, IFOKO, ABISSA, SOKU, KULA, ANGULAMA, KRAKRAMA and annexed them to be part of the rule of the amayanabo of KALABARI, The Powerful Okoloma ( Bonny ) king gave it a fierce fight that led to the destruction of KALABARI town ( due to internal fight in KALABARI town between Igbanibo and AMAKIRI the king ) The towns under king AMAKIRI remained loyal to him and continued to be under the KALABARI rule meanwhile that destruction of the town led to the founding of Buguma, ABONNEMA and BAKANA. and the town of KALABARI was deserted,

This is a small eye opener to educate you IGNORANTS, KALABARI is not a tribe but an IJAW ENCLAVE,
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by ChinenyeN(m): 7:43am On Oct 02, 2011
Killayut, you still dey here? Nnaa, if you're so confident about the tin wey you dey yarn, then just yarn your own and kommot; no long story. Wetin else you wan prove?
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Obiagu1(m): 7:55am On Oct 02, 2011
I say this because we, as Kalabari people, have never seen ourselves as Ijaws (although grouped by the colonialists as belonging to the Ijaw tribe). The typical Ijaw towns (Nembe, Brass, Yenagoa, Sangama and so on) are much too far away from Kalabari kingdom, almost nearer to Warri and Sapele in the Mid-West than to the Kalabari towns and villages or indeed, Okrika, Bonny or Opobo. Hope you get my point and not take offence at it 'cos any Kalabari would tell you that. . .

Don't mind Ijaw people and expansionism. Kalabari and Okrika are not Ijaw. Pure and simple.

The creation of Bayelsa State (an Ijaw state) removed almost every traceable Ijaw from former Rivers State.
Current Rivers State is a mixture of Igbo/Igboid and Riverine groups: Ogoni and mixed groups (Kalabari and Okrika).
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Ibime(m): 11:49am On Oct 02, 2011
Kiwi 992 is an old school guy who left Nigeria after the civil war. Some Kalabari peeps used to claim they are not Ijaw, but that view is dead and gone. Put it this way, Asari Dokubo, is a Kalabari man.

Secondly, Okrika and Ibani language is the same, but there are slight variances with Kalabari language.

For example, Killayut said FEH means buy in Kalabari, but in Okrika and Ibani, it means eat.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Abagworo(m): 2:12pm On Oct 02, 2011
@ibime.If you had followed this thread,you would have noticed when killayut made some unfounded claims which gave him out to someone like me.If you also follow that Kalabari thread,you will observe that he was commiting one fallacy after another just to assert a wrong theory of origin on Kalabari.Remember some of us have Kalabaris as cousins and inlaws and could as well get direct info.

In a broader sense of it Kalabari,Ibani and your Okrika are Ijaw but in a conservative view,they exist as distinct.They are far more distinct than Ikwerre and SE Igbos.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by aribisala0(m): 4:58pm On Oct 02, 2011
i think if a group of people agitate to be recognized independently of another that is their right. we have a number of groups that have done so and are so reconized by the nigerian constitution e.g . IKWERRE so i don't know why me must continue to return to SETTLED matters.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Nobody: 11:26pm On Oct 02, 2011
Ibime Kiwi 992 is an old school guy who left Nigeria after the civil war. Some Kalabari peeps used to claim they are not Ijaw, but that view is dead and gone. Put it this way, Asari Dokubo, is a Kalabari man.

Secondly, Okrika and Ibani language is the same, but there are slight variances with Kalabari language.

For example, Killayut said FEH means buy in Kalabari, but in Okrika and Ibani, it means eat.

Bros, I think you miss pronounced the word Feh, to be Fi, Ye FI ( to eat ) Fi ye fi ( to eat food )

To eat is Fi ( Fee) in both KALABARI / OKRIKA/ IBANI/ BILLE Feh is pronounced as Feh in Felt or Feh in Fed up, It is different from Fii( fee ) and even Okrika and Ibani say Feh, in Okrika .,. Ee toye feh abe ( what are you trying to buy ) Ah Feh mu abe ( I am going to buy some thing )
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Nobody: 2:53pm On Oct 19, 2011
BY GABRIEL ENOGHOLASE
BENIN—THE Ijaw of Edo State have said that their demand for the creation of
Toru-Ibe State from Edo and Delta states was to save them from the
oppression they suffered in the hand of the Bini people, which they said was
more than what the Israelites suffered while in bondage in Egypt.

They also reacted to comments by the Bini monarch, Oba Erediauwa and some
Itsekiri chiefs at a recent meeting in Benin, that not an inch of their
land would be ceded for the proposed Toru-Ibe State.

They described the claim by the Bini that all Ijaw riverine communities in
the state belonged to them as, “a bundle of lies and deliberate falsehood
carefully crafted to bamboozle, misinform, miseducate and mislead
governments of Nigeria, especially members of the National Assembly who must
be very wary.”

Addressing newsmen in Benin, yesterday, spokesman for the Ijaw in Edo State,
Prof. Christopher Dime, insisted that the Ijaw will never cede an inch of
their land to any ethnic nationality in the country.

He added that the Ijaw had been the aborigines and the customary owners of
all land covered by the proposed Toru-Ibe State.

He said, “despite their posturing, blind guessing and recent attempts at
historical revisionism, it is clear that the Benins do not know, and indeed
cannot know when the Ijaws came into the Ijaw lands of present Edo State
because the Ijaws were on the land long before the Benins migrated from
Yorubaland.

“That the Ijaws were among the oldest ethnic nationality in Nigeria and
indeed in West African sub-region is not doubt. That they are indigenous to
the Niger Delta and its fringes to the West, East and North is equally no
news. There is a pool of incontrovertible scholarly evidence and
documentations in support of these claims.

“Among them are Chief Jacob Egharebva of blessed memory, the best known and
celebrated Benin historian with Benin Royal blood, who in his “A Short
History of Benin”, said, ‘many, many years ago, the Benins came all the way
from Egypt to found a more secure shelter in this part of the world after a
s short stay in the Sudan and Ife tradition says that they met some people
who were in the land before their arrival.”

Prof. Dime claimed that the people Chief Egharevba, referred to were the
Ijaw aborigines, adding that the ferry man also referred to in the book that
Prince Oranmiyan, the father of Oba Eweka 1 and his courtiers encountered
with much trouble at Ovia River, was an Ijaw man.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Nobody: 10:30pm On Oct 21, 2011
Chyz*:

Dude, are you just ignorant,dumb, or blind? Choose one. "UNU" is "you all/you people" in Igbo. The Unu used in the carribean(Jamaica) is derived from Igbo slaves It has absolutely nothing to do with the french. SMH:

http://abitabout.com/List+of+African+words+in+Jamaican+Patois

http://www.enotes.com/topic/Nigerian_Pidgin

Dude where are you getting your info from? Lmao! Stop trying to be Madlock,ok? Your detective skills are nonexistent.  cheesy

Chyz*:

Just for out that "poto-poto" is also on the link I posted and it is under Yoruba and it means mud/muddy. Its the same thing in Igbo. Both yoruba and Igbo are from the same language group so this strengthens the are argument more,even though its not really an argument,lol, and totally pulls the chair from under you damn ijaw claim of the word. Ijaw is not related to any southern nigeria language. Now how did that happen?   cheesy

http://abitabout.com/List+of+African+words+in+Jamaican+Patois

http://www.worldofmaps.net/typo3temp/pics/8c182129fc.png

AWESOME!!  cheesy cheesy I speak fluent Jamaican patois and had NO IDEA that some of those words belonged to certain tribes. I mean I knew they came from various African languages but I didn't know the specifics. I showed that website to my mom and she was amazed! Especially at the words "mumu", "dupi", "poto-poto"; etc. she added that some of our words are missing from the list such as "cunumunu, coop pon, laba laba"; etc but the point is that site was very informative. thanks!!  smiley

But my question is this how come so many of those words were shared not only between our Igbo and Yoruba ancestors but also that of our Akan and Mende?  that's confusing.  undecided

they even claimed 'poto poto' came from our central african roots too. HOW?! undecided undecided
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by sbeezy8: 12:48pm On Feb 06, 2012
One of the reaason I think comments on nairaland are a joke and the posters are not in touch with reality lol day dreamers of some sort
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by demmie1: 5:09pm On Sep 01, 2012
ChinenyeN:
I don't know anything about "Nigerian tribes". What I know is my Ngwa people's history and the traditions/history we have/share about/with surrounding groups.
tell us something about your ngwa history. empty calabash
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Dede1(m): 6:28pm On Sep 01, 2012
killayut: Shei
Igbo people struggling hard to make KALABARI an Igbo ethnic group, I go laff die, Kalabari was a single town directly Opposite Bonny by the Bonny River and New Calabar river estuary The town like other towns like Okoloma, Tombia, Okrika, Minama, Bille, Nembe, Ifoko, Ke, Soku, Kula, were all Ijaw towns speaking the same Ijaw dialect, The towns of Okrika, Okoloma ( Bonny ) and Kalabari some how became more attractive that Ijaws from other towns started pouring in to them making them considerably larger over time. The clan heads of these 3 towns known as amayanabo AMA- YANABO ( owner of the town ) became powerful and during the colonial era when the Portuguese came tussle for the control of the creek and river root to the ocean to trade with the Portuguese caused rivalry among them. This rivalry led to imperialism. They rushed to control other smaller Ijaw settlments and due to proximity and location the KALABARI king was able to win over majority of the rest smaller Ijaw towns namely, ABALAMA, MINAMA, IFOKO, ABISSA, SOKU, KULA, ANGULAMA, KRAKRAMA and annexed them to be part of the rule of the amayanabo of KALABARI, The Powerful Okoloma ( Bonny ) king gave it a fierce fight that led to the destruction of KALABARI town ( due to internal fight in KALABARI town between Igbanibo and AMAKIRI the king ) The towns under king AMAKIRI remained loyal to him and continued to be under the KALABARI rule meanwhile that destruction of the town led to the founding of Buguma, ABONNEMA and BAKANA. and the town of KALABARI was deserted,

This is a small eye opener to educate you IGNORANTS, KALABARI is not a tribe but an IJAW ENCLAVE,

You have still not indulged in self rumination about the correct historical facts about areas that cover the deltas formed by Niger, Imo, Urashi and Utamiri. It is good to notice you have slightly come back home with the terms such as AMA ONYEABO and AMA IKIRI. I am aware these two terms have gone through mysterious changes. Also I learnt the founder of Bille was one Ejike.
Re: Ijaws Attack Binis Over Ownership Of Gelegele Land In Edo State by Nobody: 12:00pm On Mar 04, 2013
God punish you. Which oil ilaje or wateva u cal ur dirty yuroba get 4 9ja delta. Idiot go tif na.God punish you. Which oil ilaje or wateva u cal ur dirty yuroba get 4 9ja delta. Idiot go tif na.God punish you. Which oil ilaje or wateva u cal ur dirty yuroba get 4 9ja delta. Idiot go tif na.

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply)

See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 / Jonathan Meets Buhari Immediately After National Security Council Meeting / Governor Douye Diri Visits Goodluck Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.