Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,034 members, 7,859,722 topics. Date: Thursday, 13 June 2024 at 05:26 PM

Atheists And Atheism - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheists And Atheism (3651 Views)

Deism And Atheism Are The Different Sides Of The Same Wrong Coin. / The Relationship Between Witchcraft And Atheism. / Witchcraft And Atheism... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheists And Atheism by Workch: 10:51am On Jul 27, 2023
LordReed:

You didn't answer the question: how does your description of who an atheist is not apply to me?

Where have I said I disbelieve? You're just making unfounded assumptions, that is what is not scientific.
if you don't disbelieve the existence of all god then you do not qualify as an atheist.
Atheists disbelieve all gods without evidence against all gods.
Re: Atheists And Atheism by Workch: 10:53am On Jul 27, 2023
LordReed:

Yes that is an attribute you are giving the god BEFORE you have evidence, so it is indeed baseless.
I'm not the one giving, deist gave it that attribute. I cannot disprove it, neither can you.
If you cannot disprove a claim with evidence then how is it baseless? if you do not have counter evidence, then don't you think that you are baselessly rejecting the claim?

1 Like

Re: Atheists And Atheism by MayntheeMayn: 10:53am On Jul 27, 2023
Workch:
if you don't disbelieve the existence of all god then you do not qualify as an atheist.

What qualifies a thing to be a “god”?
Re: Atheists And Atheism by MayntheeMayn: 10:55am On Jul 27, 2023
Workch:
I'm not the one giving, deist gave it that attribute. I cannot disprove it, neither can you.
“Deist” are not giving it attributes.
The origin of the word deist comes from deus, it also literally means zeus, all from sanskirt.
The word has a meaning, “deist” didn’t give it.

If you can just look up the origin of the word “god” it arises from a PANTHEON 😂

Re: Atheists And Atheism by MayntheeMayn: 10:58am On Jul 27, 2023
Workch:

What do you understand by “god”?
Atheists also “disbelieve” in all santa, what do you understand by santa?

The funny thing is this is what i have been saying since, you lack the meaning of the word “god”, read!!
https://www.encyclopedia.com/philosophy-and-religion/philosophy/philosophy-terms-and-concepts/deists

Re: Atheists And Atheism by Workch: 11:00am On Jul 27, 2023
LordReed:

Yes that is an attribute you are giving the god BEFORE you have evidence, so it is indeed baseless.
If we found a new planet and we are not sure what this planet is made of yet and I make a claim that this planet can Harbour life. Of course it's a baseless claim and that's what theism does.
Epsitemologically, the individual that made the claim has the burden of proof to prove it but scientifically, the person who made the claim does not necessarily need to find evidence to validate the claim. If you think that the claim is not correct, in science, you will go out and find evidence against it else the argument is still very open.
Re: Atheists And Atheism by MayntheeMayn: 11:02am On Jul 27, 2023
We found a new planet right, and we have evidence we have found it?

Workch:
If we found a new planet and we are not sure what this planet is made of yet and I make a claim that this planet can Harbour life. Of course it's a baseless claim and that's what theism does.
Epsitemologically, the individual that made the claim has the burden of proof to prove it but scientifically, the person who made the claim does not necessarily need to find evidence to validate the claim. If you think that the claim is not correct, in science, you will go out and find evidence against it else the argument is still very open.
This is what i have been telling you since, you need to understand what “god” means.

https://www.encyclopedia.com/philosophy-and-religion/philosophy/philosophy-terms-and-concepts/deists
This is the first time I’m even researching on this and it is agreeing with what i am saying, a calvanist concept.

Re: Atheists And Atheism by MayntheeMayn: 11:03am On Jul 27, 2023
LordReed:

It is is baseless if you are giving attributes to the god. If you are simply saying there could be a god then it would be different. You are giving the god attributes BEFORE you have any evidence.
I want you to look at this. Deism is a Calvanist concept.

Re: Atheists And Atheism by LordReed(m): 11:03am On Jul 27, 2023
Workch:
If you cannot disprove a claim with evidence then how is it baseless? if you do not have counter evidence, then don't you think that you are baselessly rejecting the claim?

I thought you are an agnostic deist.
Re: Atheists And Atheism by LordReed(m): 11:04am On Jul 27, 2023
Workch:

Wrong. Atheists do not disbelieve, they don't believe. There is a difference.
Re: Atheists And Atheism by LordReed(m): 11:07am On Jul 27, 2023
Workch:

LoLz. I have never seen where a scientist says I am going to go find evidence against a baseless claim. Find me which scientist is doing this.
Re: Atheists And Atheism by LordReed(m): 11:08am On Jul 27, 2023
Re: Atheists And Atheism by Workch: 11:09am On Jul 27, 2023
LordReed:

I thought you are an agnostic deist.
no, you see. You still dont get my argument.

I am a weak agnostic. I don't have any knowledge of existence if a god so I don't believe or disbelieve it. I think we do not have sufficient knowledge to know if a god exist or not hence deists, atheists and theists do not know what they are talking about.
Re: Atheists And Atheism by LordReed(m): 11:11am On Jul 27, 2023
Workch:
no, you see. You still dont get my argument.

I am a weak agnostic. I don't have any knowledge of existence if a god so I don't believe or disbelieve it. I think we do not have sufficient knowledge to know if a god exist or not hence deists, atheists and theists do not know what they are talking about.

Ah ok. I thought you were taking a deistic stance.
Re: Atheists And Atheism by MayntheeMayn: 11:13am On Jul 27, 2023
Workch:

How are we gonna know if we have sufficient knowledge for a “god” or not?
What are the parameters to know?

1 Like

Re: Atheists And Atheism by Workch: 11:13am On Jul 27, 2023
LordReed:

LoLz. I have never seen where a scientist says I am going to go find evidence against a baseless claim. Find me which scientist is doing this.
no claim is baseless if it hasn't been disproven.

My undergraduate research work as a biochemist, I worked on finding evidence for or against traditional claims that cashew leaves have diuretic and laxative effect hence they are handy in the treatment of hypertension and bowel movement diseases.
Going by your definition, most traditional medicinal claims are baseless, they usually sound ridiculous. You will see one person selling gbogbonise that can cure all diseases on earth, is that not baseless but science still disprove them.

It's not baseless until proven baseless.
Re: Atheists And Atheism by MayntheeMayn: 11:14am On Jul 27, 2023
Workch:

My undergraduate research work as a biochemist, I worked on finding evidence for or against traditional claims that cashew leaves have diuretic and laxative effect hence they is handy in the treatment of hypertension and bowel movement diseases.
Going by your definition, most traditional medicinal claims are baseless, they usually sound ridiculous. You will see one person selling gbogbonise that can cure all diseases in earth, is that not baseless but science still disprove them.

That’s not what a BASELESS claim is in relation to a deistic god.
A baseless claim in that context is saying, cashew leaves have hands and fingers.
Re: Atheists And Atheism by 1Sharon(f): 11:28am On Jul 27, 2023
IconicR:
Are you an atheist and does your family know about it

Now, why would you like to know?

Re: Atheists And Atheism by LordReed(m): 11:32am On Jul 27, 2023
Workch:

My undergraduate research work as a biochemist, I worked on finding evidence for or against traditional claims that cashew leaves have diuretic and laxative effect hence they are handy in the treatment of hypertension and bowel movement diseases.
Going by your definition, most traditional medicinal claims are baseless, they usually sound ridiculous. You will see one person selling gbogbonise that can cure all diseases on earth, is that not baseless but science still disprove them.

It is baseless if there was no evidence to make the claim in the first place.

The reason why traditional medicine needs to be investigated is because some of the claims do have a basis. We know that some plants have medicinal effect so it is worth it to see which do and what those effects are.

No scientist would be looking for pink unicorns on Mars because that would be a baseless claim in the first place.

4 Likes

Re: Atheists And Atheism by A001: 11:41am On Jul 27, 2023
This m.oron with an empty brain keeps mentioning me here unnecessarily. Wasting away your life on silly discussions online early in the morning when your mates are in their workplaces and getting involved in meaningful activities.

If you're so foolish that you don't know what the word 'god' means, then what's your dictionary there for?

Keep waking up and sleeping on Nairaland forum since you're jobless.
Re: Atheists And Atheism by MayntheeMayn: 11:44am On Jul 27, 2023
A001:
This m.oron with an empty brain keeps mentioning me here unnecessarily. Wasting away your life on silly discussions online early in the morning when your mates are in their workplaces and getting involved in meaningful activities.

If you're so foolish that you don't know what the word 'god' means, then what's your dictionary there for?

Keep waking up and sleeping on Nairaland forum since you're jobless.

Re: Atheists And Atheism by Workch: 11:47am On Jul 27, 2023
LordReed:

It is baseless if there was no evidence to make the claim in the first place.
So aliens and warmholes are baseless?

The reason why traditional medicine needs to be investigated is because some of the claims do have a basis. We know that some plants have medicinal effect so it is worth it to see which do and what those effects are.
So the universe can not exist on its own is not a basis right? It doesn't bother you

No scientist would be looking for pink unicorns on Mars because that would be a baseless claim in the first place.
Why would you look for pink unicorns on Mars when you are yet to find life on Mars?

It's a faulty equivalence. You have to first find life on Mars before checking for a pink unicorn. And who says pink unicorns can't exist on Mars?
Re: Atheists And Atheism by MayntheeMayn: 11:49am On Jul 27, 2023
Workch:
And who says pink unicorns can't exist on Mars?
You are just been an agnostic now.

So if someone also claims that the pink unicorn created the world and it is living on mars, you will also be agnostic to it.
Re: Atheists And Atheism by MayntheeMayn: 11:52am On Jul 27, 2023
Workch:

Why would you look for pink unicorns on Mars when you are yet to find life on Mars?
We are yet to find life on mars doesn’t mean there is no life on mars, we don’t know, we can’t believe or disbelieve. We should not conclude, we have little information, and the pink unicorns can have there own source apart from “life” that we humans use.

And is “Absence of Evidence not Evidence of Absence” again?
Why are you cherry picking the scenario to use it?
Re: Atheists And Atheism by MayntheeMayn: 11:57am On Jul 27, 2023
Workch:
You are comparing aliens and warmholes to a deistic god?
What kind of delusion is this 😂😂
Re: Atheists And Atheism by LordReed(m): 12:06pm On Jul 27, 2023
Workch:

What claim is being made about aliens and wormholes?

So the universe can not exist on its own is not a basis right? It doesn't bother you

I don't understand the question.

It's a faulty equivalence. You have to first find life on Mars before checking for a pink unicorn. And who says pink unicorns can't exist on Mars?

That is exactly the point, why would you be calling a god noninterventionist before you have found the god?
Re: Atheists And Atheism by DenreleDave(m): 12:17pm On Jul 27, 2023
grin cheesy grin grin

What is this for Sharon's God name grin grin
1Sharon:

Now, why would you like to know?

1 Like

Re: Atheists And Atheism by Image123(m): 12:19pm On Jul 27, 2023
LordReed:

Wrong. Atheists do not disbelieve, they don't believe. There is a difference.

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Atheists And Atheism by Workch: 12:51pm On Jul 27, 2023
LordReed:

What claim is being made about aliens and wormholes?
that they may exist

I don't understand the question.

That is exactly the point, why would you be calling a god noninterventionist before you have found the god?
I am not the person calling it, I don't even believe that myself nor disbelieve it.
I'm just saying that you cannot disprove that claim because you don't have any evidence.. A claim is not baseless unless an evidence against it exist
Re: Atheists And Atheism by Maynman: 12:54pm On Jul 27, 2023
Workch:

I'm just saying that you cannot disprove that claim because you don't have any evidence.. A claim is not baseless unless an evidence against it exist
You are a theist sympathizer.
A baseless claim is not automatically valid just because there is no evidence against it.

1 Like

Re: Atheists And Atheism by jaephoenix(m): 1:14pm On Jul 27, 2023
Aemmyjah:
Atheists have not given any sound argument that God does not exist.
Some use suffering and badness as an excuse but a house that has become almost damaged and tenants are constantly making trouble does not mean the house was not built by someone... Earth's problem are usually caused by Man and usually as Man disregard the moral laws

Some use biology as an excuse by bringing up theories that have not even met scientific approach, theories that are not agreed on, contradictory and mysterious even to the intelligent, how much the uneducated... How did you convince someone that has little educational background that there's no God?

Funniest excuse atheists use is that Christians are adhering to a white man's religion
Do you know that atheism began in Africa? grin grin grin
About 200 years ago by a man called Otunba Charles Darwin in Badagry.
Atheism is an African religion right?

When you present these facts to the same gullible people, what do they say?
They say the Whitemen are abandoning religion and going for atheism... Imagine these from the same idiaats that accuse you or adhering to western religion.

...Yet, I'm the one following religion blindly
...I'm the one that is not critical negatively (pessimistic) minded
...I don't want to reason for myself

Atheists are the ones changing the world for better (How?)
Atheists are the most intelligent and making the most sophisticated investions (atleast, their dead brains have made them invent weapons that can destroy all life on Earth)
Whitemen are more atheists than religious (wrong facts)
I know you have problems with logic, but lemme give it a go.
1. Have you heard of the phrase, "He who alleges must provide proof". It simply means, if you think there is a god, kindly show us evidence . I'm sure you have seen numerous posts on Nairaland from atheists requesting for just one proof of your god. Have you provided any? Hell no.
2. What if I tell you I flew to work today, would you believe me without demanding proof? Hell no.
You believed that there are talking snakes and donkey without evidence, but you'll demand proof from me that I flew to work with wings.
Scientific theories exist for a reason: ours a basis for concrete experiments and thus a conclusion. Many of them remain theories because they can't be fully proven.
But you, that called yourself a biologist believed all the fuckery in the Bible without a shred of proof or evidence. Yet you demand scientists prove their case.
Also many of the theories like evolution has been proven time and time again but someone that still calls himself a biologist can't see it. Are you even sure you graduated? I have shown you several evidence of evolution from genetic, to physiological to anatomical etc. Yet you still kept asking these questions. Which school did you even graduate from?
3. So lack of religion is also a religion? Wtf. So what channel am I watching if there's nothing showing on my tv screen? Have you seen an atheist Holy book like Bible, Quoran etc? Do atheists have congregation leaders? Do atheists have a Supreme Being like Allah, Yahweh etc? So what qualifies it as a religion? Are you theists always this daft in person?
4. Please how many atheists have made destructive weapons? I need names, not what your daft Kingdom hall pastor told you

3 Likes

Re: Atheists And Atheism by LordReed(m): 1:29pm On Jul 27, 2023
Workch:
that they may exist

Then there is a basis for making the claim.

I am not the person calling it, I don't even believe that myself nor disbelieve it.

That is not what baseless means.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply)

Catholics, Do U Have This In Your Bible? / Ideas I Once Had About God When I Was A Christian / Prayer Book For Back To Sender To Your Enemy.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.