Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,560 members, 7,812,818 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:52 PM

What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 (11157 Views)

2020/2021 Prophecies By Child-of-god John-sogbete Princewill / What Does It Mean To "Sin Wilfully" In Hebrews 10:26? - Prince Gabriel Okocha / See Who Mocked God: John Lennon (singer): Some Years Ago, During His Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by tctrills: 9:09am On Dec 02, 2023
In the book of John 17.3, we learn, And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

If eternal life is the knowledge of God and Jesus Christ, then what does it mean to know God.

Do you know God from reading your Bible?
Do you know God by being a Christian?
How does one get to know God?

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by MaxInDHouse(m): 9:34am On Dec 02, 2023
tctrills:

In the book of John 17.3, we learn, And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.
If eternal life is the knowledge of God and Jesus Christ, then what does it mean to know God.
How does on get to know God?

During the investigation of Mohbad's death if the police ask you:

"Do you know Naira Marley?"

What will be your response?
YES! or NO!

You need to know why this is a sensitive question because saying "YES" will mean that if you're asked to tell where Naira Marley lives, what he likes, what he detests, how he often reacts to matters, where he loves going and his friends you should be able to give necessary details failure to do so will be taken as trying to hide sensitive information.

So apply the same to knowing God and Jesus! smiley

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by elated177: 9:50am On Dec 02, 2023
To know the God of the Scriptures that you quoted, YHVH Almighty, our Father in heaven, the one and only true God, the Creator of the heavens, the earth, the seas and everything in them, is to obey his Commandments. It is plain and simple.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by Aemmyjah(m): 9:50am On Dec 02, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

YES! or NO!

You need to know why this is a sensitive question because saying "YES" will mean that if you're asked to tell where Naira Marley lives, what he likes, what he detests, how he often reacts to matters, where he loves going and his friends you should be able to give necessary details failure to do so will be taken as trying to hide sensitive information.

I love your illustrations sir

11 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by MaxInDHouse(m): 10:46am On Dec 02, 2023
Aemmyjah:

I love your illustrations sir

It's just the usual things you guys taught me in your midst! smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by tctrills: 1:11pm On Dec 02, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

YES! or NO!

So if someone ask if I know Bob Marley, I should say no?
Does knowing someone implies knowing everything about the person? I bet you don't know everything thing about your own kids, would you say you don't know your kids?

7 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by MaxInDHouse(m): 2:23pm On Dec 02, 2023
tctrills:

So if someone ask if I know Bob Marley, I should say no?
Does knowing someone implies knowing everything about the person? I bet you don't know everything thing about your own kids, would you say you don't know your kids?

Do you know those two persons in question?

God and Jesus.

Where they live, what they like, what they detests, who are their friends, how they often react to matters, what type of stranger they would likely make their friend.

Surely your salvation will be easier than anything else.

That's what Jesus meant by that statement at John 17:3

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by tctrills: 3:03pm On Dec 02, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

Do you know those two persons in question?

God and Jesus.

Where they live, what they like, what they detests, who are their friends, how they often react to matters, what type of stranger they would likely make their friend.

Surely your salvation will be easier than anything else.

That's what Jesus meant by that statement at John 17:3

Ok, if that's the case then everyone that reads the bible knows these answers.
But do you really think that salvation is just being able to answer the questions you asked? That anyone who provides answers to your questions above would gain salvation?

4 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by Emmanuel30a: 3:20pm On Dec 02, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

YES! or NO!

So who and what did you knows jare...
Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by MaxInDHouse(m): 3:31pm On Dec 02, 2023
tctrills:

Ok, if that's the case then everyone that reads the bible knows these answers.
But do you really think that salvation is just being able to answer the questions you asked? That anyone who provides answers to your questions above would gain salvation?
The highlighted is a big fat lie!

If it's just about reading the Bible Jesus won't send out his friends to go and TEACH people how to become his friend {Matthew 10:11-13} note that after instructing them he added that anyone who refused to learn from them is doomed {Matthew 10:14-15} this was the order he gave his friends whom he sent to preach and teach among the Jews {Matthew 10:6} because they are the closest to salvation having the scriptures with them! John 4:22

So if the Jews needs to be taught how to know God and Jesus THOROUGHLY do you think anyone could just pick up the Bible and know these two persons easily?

Well Jesus didn't leave us in spiritual darkness he made it clear to us that it's easy to IDENTIFY his real friends who are to teach us:

They will have LOVE among themselves {John 13:34-35} they will be active globally in the work he commissioned for them {Act 1:8} they will be peaceful everywhere you find them {Matthew 10:16} and they will be spoken of badly by all other religionists! Matthew 10:24-25

Now your salvation is in your hands! smiley

2 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by tctrills: 5:26pm On Dec 02, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

The highlighted is a big fat lie!

If it's just about reading the Bible Jesus won't send out his friends to go and TEACH people how to become his friend {Matthew 10:11-13} note that after instructing them he added that anyone who refused to learn from them is doomed {Matthew 10:14-15} this was the order he gave his friends whom he sent to preach and teach among the Jews {Matthew 10:6} because they are the closest to salvation having the scriptures with them! John 4:22

So if the Jews needs to be taught how to know God and Jesus THOROUGHLY do you think anyone could just pick up the Bible and know these two persons easily?

Well Jesus didn't leave us in spiritual darkness he made it clear to us that it's easy to IDENTIFY his real friends who are to teach us:

They will have LOVE among themselves {John 13:34-35} they will be active globally in the work he commissioned for them {Act 1:8} they will be peaceful everywhere you find them {Matthew 10:16} and they will be spoken of badly by all other religionists! Matthew 10:24-25

Now your salvation is in your hands! smiley
So the new testament basically contains the words of those he sent out to preach. When you read the new testament, you read their very words right?
And yes, you are right we can identify those following Jesus Christ.
1. They do not teach manmade doctrine
2. They do not depend on guesswork in understanding and explaining the word of God.
3. They show love to all including the prodigal son.
4. They do not add new commandments that are not from God.
5. They can lead you to the kingdom of God. Please don't follow any group who's members know that they would never see the kingdom of God because they are not born again.
I believe we agree a lot on this one.
Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by MaxInDHouse(m): 5:53pm On Dec 02, 2023
tctrills:

So the new testament basically contains the words of those he sent out to preach. When you read the new testament, you read their very words right?
And yes, you are right we can identify those following Jesus Christ.
1. They do not teach manmade doctrine
2. They do not depend on guesswork in understanding and explaining the word of God.
3. They show love to all including the prodigal son.
4. They do not add new commandments that are not from God.
5. They can lead you to the kingdom of God. Please don't follow any group who's members know that they would never see the kingdom of God because they are not born again.
I believe we agree a lot on this one.

Did Jesus said all that as identifying mark or you just cooked it up presumptuously?

Ọmọ Jesus never said anything of that nature in fact he made us understand that people will say his disciples are teaching heresy {Matthew 1024-25} so it's not just by assumption that you can understand this but by humbly watching out for the group that is fulfilling what he said no matter what you think about them as long as you can't find a better performing group then stop disturbing your brain that is what the religious people among the Jews in the first century failed to notice, they were looking for fault against Jesus instead of asking "do we have any better teacher?" {John 6:68} they were looking for fault against the one and only teacher who is fulfilling what the prophesies said about the messiah. So if you can find a better performing group that's fulfilling what Jesus said about his friends no wahala but if you can't then stop deceiving yourself! smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by tctrills: 7:08pm On Dec 02, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

Did Jesus said all that as identifying mark or you just cooked it up presumptuously?

Ọmọ Jesus never said anything of that nature in fact he made us understand that people will say his disciples are teaching heresy {Matthew 1024-25} so it's not just by assumption that you can understand this but by humbly watching out for the group that is fulfilling what he said no matter what you think about them as long as you can't find a better performing group then stop disturbing your brain that is what the religious people among the Jews in the first century failed to notice, they were looking for fault against Jesus instead of asking "do we have any better teacher?" {John 6:68} they were looking for fault against the one and only teacher who is fulfilling what the prophesies said about the messiah. So if you can find a better performing group that's fulfilling what Jesus said about his friends no wahala but if you can't then stop deceiving yourself! smiley
I am not sure I understand your point here. What is it I wrote that you have a problem with?
Jesus said only the born again can enter his kingdom so when you say Jesus said nothing if that nature, what are you even talking about.
Please be more expressive.
Note, everything I wrote is based on scripture so if you need references just ask and I will gladly present them to you.

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by tctrills: 7:17pm On Dec 02, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

One more thing sir, if the kingdom of God is my goal, it only makes sense that I stay away from an organization that openly declares that they have no intention of making the kingdom of God. I can't depend on such an organization for interpretation of scripture.
I am sure we both agree here.
grin grin

2 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by MaxInDHouse(m): 9:17pm On Dec 02, 2023
tctrills:

One more thing sir, if the kingdom of God is my goal, it only makes sense that I stay away from an organization that openly declares that they have no intention of making the kingdom of God. I can't depend on such an organization for interpretation of scripture.
I am sure we both agree here. grin grin

Since you have a reason that sounds more important to you then i will implore you to wait for those who know God and Jesus better than the organization that's doing what Jesus called God's will! smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by tctrills: 9:48pm On Dec 02, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

Since you have a reason that sounds more important to you then i will implore you to wait for those who know God and Jesus better than the organization that's doing what Jesus called God's will! smiley
God's will is that we all find eternal life that's why he sent His Son.

So it makes no sense to take advice from an organization that can't get me to my destination.
For me, it's the kingdom of God or nothing.
There are 2 options, the kingdom of God or the kingdom of darkness. There is no middle ground.
The organization you advertise have openly said that the are not interested in leading their members into the kingdom of God that's why I jump and pass.
If you claim to do God's will buy can't enter his kingdom, then you must be lying to yourself.
I don't follow people who are deceiving themselves.
I hope you understand.

2 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by MaxInDHouse(m): 4:05am On Dec 03, 2023
tctrills:

God's will is that we all find eternal life that's why he sent His Son.

So it makes no sense to take advice from an organization that can't get me to my destination.
For me, it's the kingdom of God or nothing.
There are 2 options, the kingdom of God or the kingdom of darkness. There is no middle ground.
The organization you advertise have openly said that the are not interested in leading their members into the kingdom of God that's why I jump and pass.
If you claim to do God's will buy can't enter his kingdom, then you must be lying to yourself.
I don't follow people who are deceiving themselves.
I hope you understand.

You're misconstruing the whole thing but then you've made up your mind so wait for those who knows God and Jesus.

However God's kingdom is the goal of his people what you're demanding belongs only to God even Jesus can't grant it to anyone apart from the apostles whom God has said will form the 12 foundation stones of the new Jerusalem {Revelations 21:14} they are the ones to start the 144,000 members of corulers with Christ {Revelations 14:1} they are not just Israelites as most of you have been taught the original twelve tribes of Israel {Exodus 1:1-4 compare to Revelations 7:5-8} they are called spiritual Israel or new Jerusalem they supposed to rule with Christ in Jerusalem but since the city has been profaned with the killing of God's prophets {Matthew 23:37-38} and finally they disowned their God's anointed King who is the Messiah {Matthew 27:24-25 compare to John 19:12-18} that's what Jesus foresaw before promising his corulers that it will no longer be only Israelites that will join in ruling with him {Luke 13:29} so the gentiles who are supposed subjects in God's kingdom will become part of the ruling class or first class while many Jews will be under their rule {Luke 13:30; Matthew 19:30; Mark 10:31} Jesus promised this ruling class that they will be taken to heaven because that is where their government house will be! John 14:1-3

So if we tell you that it's not all righteous people that are going to heaven that's the truth God never purposed for humans to live in heaven it's the rulership of God's kingdom that was taken away from Jerusalem that made that possible and it's only Christ's corulers that are going there among these ones even Jesus has no say about who will be part of them it only belongs to God to select them! Matthew 20:20-23

That's what you're misconstruing saying God's organization won't lead members to God's kingdom, Paradise is going to be on planet earth and that's where subjects of God's kingdom will be while Christ's corulers will be in the spiritual realm ruling with him in heaven! smiley
Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by tctrills: 9:04am On Dec 03, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

You're misconstruing the whole thing but then you've made up your mind so wait for those who knows God and Jesus.

However God's kingdom is the goal of his people what you're demanding belongs only to God even Jesus can't grant it to anyone apart from the apostles whom God has said will form the 12 foundation stones of the new Jerusalem {Revelations 21:14} they are the ones to start the 144,000 members of corulers with Christ {Revelations 14:1} they are not just Israelites as most of you have been taught the original twelve tribes of Israel {Exodus 1:1-4 compare to Revelations 7:5-8} they are called spiritual Israel or new Jerusalem they supposed to rule with Christ in Jerusalem but since the city has been profaned with the killing of God's prophets {Matthew 23:37-38} and finally they disowned their God's anointed King who is the Messiah {Matthew 27:24-25 compare to John 19:12-18} that's what Jesus foresaw before promising his corulers that it will no longer be only Israelites that will join in ruling with him {Luke 13:29} so the gentiles who are supposed subjects in God's kingdom will become part of the ruling class or first class while many Jews will be under their rule {Luke 13:30; Matthew 19:30; Mark 10:31} Jesus promised this ruling class that they will be taken to heaven because that is where their government house will be! John 14:1-3

So if we tell you that it's not all righteous people that are going to heaven that's the truth God never purposed for humans to live in heaven it's the rulership of God's kingdom that was taken away from Jerusalem that made that possible and it's only Christ's corulers that are going there among these ones even Jesus has no say about who will be part of them it only belongs to God to select them! Matthew 20:20-23

That's what you're misconstruing saying God's organization won't lead members to God's kingdom, Paradise is going to be on planet earth and that's where subjects of God's kingdom will be while Christ's corulers will be in the spiritual realm ruling with him in heaven! smiley
Sir you are the one who is failing to understand the word of God. If you notice, I did not mention going to heaven. I used the term, ' the kingdom of God'
Now the kingdom of God could be in heaven or even on earth.
In the Lord's prayer, it states, 'thy kingdom come'. The kingdom of God is simply a place where God has Sovereign.
Now to be part of God's kingdom, what is the qualification?

Jesus Christ answered this question.
Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
So it doesn't matter if the kingdom is on earth or in heaven, no one from your organization would be there.
Now if you are not part of God's kingdom, where would you be but outter darkness.

I hope you understand it now.

2 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by Jeux: 9:28am On Dec 03, 2023
To trust him as your lord and personal savior.
For men, reach me on WhatsApp with the number on my signature if you need permanet cure for any penile deficiency.
Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by chudez0147(m): 9:30am On Dec 03, 2023
To know God is to be conscious of Him in all your decision grin

4 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by AntiChristian: 9:32am On Dec 03, 2023
The sentence of John is not right. If Jesus is God or part of God then why do you need to know God and Jesus separately again?

Know God as the only true God!

And Jesus Christ who you sent

Jesus na messenger?

tongue
Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by Padipadi(m): 9:34am On Dec 03, 2023
tctrills and MaxInDHouse, una don try.
Don't contradict each other.
Knowing God simply means being in total space of godliness. You know what's right to do & you stick to it to please God.

2 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by Padipadi(m): 9:34am On Dec 03, 2023
AntiChristian:
grin
Don't disgrace ya hubal (idol being worshipped in Kaabah, Google it) here o!
Gbe eyin iku e si mosque yin. Mole fogo mo e lori o!
I no dey give terrorists breathing space!
Nuke fall on you!🚀
Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by tctrills: 9:37am On Dec 03, 2023
Padipadi:
tctrills and MaxInDHouse, una don try.
MaxInDHouse is trying to advertise his church to me but his church openly admit that they can't lead anyone to the kingdom of God. It's a bad product and I am not buying it.

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by Padipadi(m): 9:38am On Dec 03, 2023
tctrills:

MaxInDHouse is trying to advertise his church to me but his church openly admit that they can't lead anyone to the kingdom of God. It's a bad product and I am not buying it.
Which product you wan buy o?
Secondly, has any church ever told you they can't lead you to kingdom of God?
And do you want to enter the kingdom of God?
Do you even reason Christianity at all?
Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by tctrills: 9:40am On Dec 03, 2023
Padipadi:

Which product you wan buy o?
Secondly, has any church ever told you they can't lead you to kingdom of God?
And do you want to enter the kingdom of God?
Do you even reason Christianity at all?
Yes, Jesus set up his Church to lead men to his kingdom. That is the sole purpose of the church. The purpose of the church is not to dance and pay tithe but to lead men to salvation.

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by AntiChristian: 9:44am On Dec 03, 2023
Padipadi:

Don't disgrace ya hubal (idol being worshipped in Kaabah, Google it) here o!
Gbe eyin iku e si mosque yin. Mole fogo mo e lori o!
I no dey give terrorists breathing space!
Nuke fall on you!🚀

Hubal is a pre-islam idol worshipped by the Arabians and has long been destroyed with the advent of Islam.

Go and learn ignoramus!
Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by Padipadi(m): 9:44am On Dec 03, 2023
tctrills:

Yes, Jesus set up his Church to lead men to his kingdom. That is the sole purpose of the church. The purpose of the church is not to dance and pay tithe but to lead men to salvation.
Hmm!
If you choose not to be dancing (which was originally to be praising God). Cos the psalmist I mean King David or brother David used it to get closer to God. So that's why dancing is allowed. However, moderation is required.
About tithing, it's a thing of conviction. It's part of the law at various time in old testament to pay it. Logically, it's right.
However, if you wan open debate on tithing, enter the fp. There's one topic there that I posted on its first page about tithing.
But pls be very truthful in ya response cos I m one of those pastors that doesn't entertain heresy!
I fit slap sense into ya head!
Mi o Raye shît!
Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by Padipadi(m): 9:48am On Dec 03, 2023
AntiChristian:

Hubal is a pre-islam idol worshipped by the Arabians and has long been destroyed with the advent of Islam.

Go and learn ignoramus!
Ignorant boy, I learned a lot.
Maybe you don't know that I v deep knowledge of ya religion!
The day you showed ya hate for Paul was when I knew those people that hate others in our present world are demonic like those arabian carrot dîck boys that hated teachings of Paul. Na jealousy dey kill all of you from hijrah in 500AD till 2023 AD and to the end of the world.
Paul's teachings ll live forever even though he nor born, but his manhood lives forever!
For now I don't v nukes for you but masturbate to image of hubal as you reminiscence on the last Imam that fûcked ya gay-nibal ass with his carrot 🥕 prîck!

1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by Exceed15: 9:51am On Dec 03, 2023
You can't know God without being at peace with Him through Jesus Christ.

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by AntiChristian: 9:51am On Dec 03, 2023
Padipadi:

Ignorant boy, I learned a lot.
Maybe you don't know that I v deep knowledge of ya religion!
The day you showed ya hate for Paul was when I knew those people that hate others in our present world are demonic like those arabian carrot dîck boys that hated teachings of Paul. Na jealousy dey kill all of you from hijrah in 500AD till 2023 AD and to the end of the world.
Paul's teachings ll live forever even though he nor born, but his manhood lives forever!
For now I don't v nukes for you but masturbate to image of hubal as you reminiscence on the last Imam that fûcked ya gay-nibal ass with his carrot 🥕 prîck!

I was even expecting to see hubal in the Qur'an or hadith as what Muslims worship but you just keep bringing up more obscure lies upon lie!
Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by achorladey: 9:53am On Dec 03, 2023
tctrills:

How does one get to know God?

Interesting question and my take regarding is based on th and below.......

Now about food sacrificed to idols: We know that “We all possess knowledge.” But knowledge puffs up while love builds up. 2 Those who think they know something do not yet know as they ought to know. 3 But whoever loves God is known by God.

After all said and done with the knowledge you have to love God. It is then you know God and God knows you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (31) (Reply)

Should Child Dedication Be Abolished Since It Is Found In The Law Of Moses? / The Truth Your Pastor Would Not Tell You About Tithes: Tithing Is Unscriptural U / What Is Your Understanding Of Sabbath?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.