Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,215 members, 7,829,357 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:44 AM

What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 (11394 Views)

2020/2021 Prophecies By Child-of-god John-sogbete Princewill / What Does It Mean To "Sin Wilfully" In Hebrews 10:26? - Prince Gabriel Okocha / See Who Mocked God: John Lennon (singer): Some Years Ago, During His Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by justking(m): 3:39pm On Dec 03, 2023
Please know God.
Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by MaxInDHouse(m): 3:46pm On Dec 03, 2023
liveyourlife007:

I understand. I believe anyone God kills deserves death

All humans deserves death that's what God's word says:

That is why, just as through one man sin entered into the world and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because they had all sinned—. Romans 5:12

So long life only suspends it!

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by ayokashry1(m): 3:52pm On Dec 03, 2023
To know God is to be led by God in all things.
To hear from him
To be taught by him.
To be rebuke/chastised by him
We dare not play with a lion because of what we know about the animal, similarly, you will stop playing with and start taking every word of God seriously whenever you come to know Him.
Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by justmondris: 4:42pm On Dec 03, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

Hmmmmmmm you're missing a lot my friend.

God choose Abraham out of all the people of his time so are you saying all others are evil?

NO! There is a reason why God chose Abraham as friend.

But after Jesus whoever wants to become a friend of God must first become a friend of Jesus and to become Jesus' friend you must be a preacher and teacher of God's word.

That's what being his disciple mean! smiley

You are still missing my point. It's true that if you are a friend of Jesus, you are a friend of God but you don't need to be a preacher to be a friend of Jesus. What you are saying in summary is that only preachers will make heaven because that's the only criteria to become the friend of Jesus. This is very very wrong.

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by MaxInDHouse(m): 4:58pm On Dec 03, 2023
justmondris:

You are still missing my point. It's true that if you are a friend of Jesus, you are a friend of God but you don't need to be a preacher to be a friend of Jesus. What you are saying in summary is that only preachers will make heaven because that's the only criteria to become the friend of Jesus. This is very very wrong.

You can't be Jesus' friend without becoming one of his disciples:

And one of the rulers questioned him, saying: “Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit everlasting life?” Jesus said to him: “Why do you call me good? Nobody is good except one, God. You know the commandments: ‘Do not commit adultery, do not murder, do not steal, do not bear false witness, honor your father and your mother.’” Then he said: “All of these I have kept from youth on.” After hearing that, Jesus said to him, “There is still one thing lacking about you: Sell all the things you have and distribute the proceeds to the poor, and you will have treasure in the heavens; and come be my follower.” Luke 18:18-23

You can't enter God's kingdom if you're not a preacher and teacher of God's word that's what becoming one of Jesus' disciples means.

PASTORS are THIEVES!
Jesus never gave any of his disciples the right to go about with religious titles {Matthew 23:8-10} we are all brothers and sisters in God's organization.
All disciples of Jesus Christ are simple men and women in your neighbourhood organized to preach and teach in that territory so just as no one can serve the God of Israel in ancient times without paying tithes the same applies in Christianity you can't be a Christian without devoting time for preaching and teaching along with other disciples of Christ that's the one and only way to prove that you're Christ's friend and paying your tithe directly to our High Priest: Christ Jesus.

We are known today as Jehovah's Witnesses and the zealous preaching and industriously teaching is the command Jesus gave all of us so whoever fails to participate in this activity cannot be a friend of our God or friend of our Master, Lord and King Christ Jesus!
Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by tctrills: 5:47pm On Dec 03, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

So was the thief BORN AGAIN? Luke 23:40-43

Remember he was never baptized in water nor with holy spirit {John 3:3-5} are you saying Jesus lied to that man? smiley
First, the bible never stated if he was baptized or not so how would I know. How do you know he was never baptized or is this your guesswork again?
Also, according to you, which of the kingdoms of God did Jesus Christ promise the thief? Was it the Jewish kingdom or the gentile Kingdom.
Lastly what happens to gentiles who are poor in spirit? Which kingdom would they find themselves.

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by MaxInDHouse(m): 6:10pm On Dec 03, 2023
tctrills:

First, the bible never stated if he was baptized or not so how would I know. How do you know he was never baptized or is this your guesswork again?
Also, according to you, which of the kingdoms of God did Jesus Christ promise the thief? Was it the Jewish kingdom or the gentile Kingdom.
Lastly what happens to gentiles who are poor in spirit? Which kingdom would they find themselves.

I asked you is the thief born again? cheesy

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by MirrorofChrist: 6:13pm On Dec 03, 2023
Once you get to know that God exists, and you want to know Him, then you'll make findings..

Everything in this life that require knowing more, required time to make enquiries and investigation on such a subject. Matt.5:6&8...
The more information you get the more your knowledge of Him, when you apply those information to your life, then you're in a boost to know Him sooner.

For example;
If I tell you that God is a Spirit, that you must become a spirit before you can know Him.., then your journey continues on how you can become a spirit to know Him.

Or
If I tell you that it's by hearing and doing His word. Then the questions are where is His word, where can I hear His word, will He speak to me one on one, etc?

If I tell you that you can know Him from your mind, and you asked why didn't you know him since?

The truth is that there are ways of which we can know God, forasmuch you acknowledge His existence, your readiness and yearnings to know Him, brings Him to you sooner, but there are ways that can be suggested or recommended as WORK for your FAITH to work.

E.g
Listen to His word from His Ministers
Get the copy of what is written about Him and study (Bible)
Praying to God that your mind is convinced exist.

Knowing God is a course. When you're in school and wanting to know a course, it requires you getting the introduction from the lecturer, and thereafter getting the course material. So the same thing is applicable. Use Cornelius as a case study in Act.10

And don't forget how Paul knew God. There are so many ways. His wisdom and mightiness is past finding out
Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by tctrills: 6:22pm On Dec 03, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

It's a foolish question because the bible never provided a list of all the people who are born again.
If your Bible has such info please share it with me sir grin grin grin
Again, are you saying that the thief went to the kingdom of God without being born again?

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by cornelboy(f): 7:01pm On Dec 03, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

This guys is just running helter-skelter 😂
Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by tctrills: 8:12pm On Dec 03, 2023
cornelboy:

You guys like to gang up and give each other moral support right??
Now let me ask you sir does the bible keep a list of the born again people? How am I to know if anyone was born again or not?
Let's get serious here and stop asking stupid questions.
Your organization can't take you to the kingdom of God because they can't get you to be born again. So why should we take you serious.

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by MaxInDHouse(m): 9:11pm On Dec 03, 2023
cornelboy:

He just like running away from the truth with excuses but i have learned to always leave him anytime i notice he's running! cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by MaxInDHouse(m): 9:18pm On Dec 03, 2023
tctrills:

It's a foolish question because the bible never provided a list of all the people who are born again. If your Bible has such info please share it with me sir grin grin grin Again, are you saying that the thief went to the kingdom of God without being born again?

This is what the thief said:

“Do you not fear God at all, now that you have received the same judgment? And we rightly so, for we are getting back what we deserve for the things we did; but this man did nothing wrong.” Luke 23:40-4

From your own understanding of the above is it possible for a Born Again Christian to be an armed robber?

Because the two guys in question were sentenced on gross criminal acts!smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by cornelboy(f): 9:33pm On Dec 03, 2023
tctrills:

You guys like to gang up and give each other moral support right??
Now let me ask you sir does the bible keep a list of the born again people? How am I to know if anyone was born again or not?
Let's get serious here and stop asking stupid questions.
Your organization can't take you to the kingdom of God because they can't get you to be born again. So why should we take you serious.
Was the thief born again? Will he enter God's kingdom?

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by achorladey: 9:36pm On Dec 03, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

Jesus often speak in Parables but @ Matthew 5:3 & 5 he expressly stated where the two blessed groups will be.

Heaven for the first group and earth for the second group.
The first group will be resurrected first that's why they're not to go with flesh and blood (physical body) but the second group will be resurrected later and their destination is planet earth.
That's the reason for double resurrection! wink

He has started madness and insanities peddling as usual grin grin grin grin

That's the reason for double resurrection

Wetin we no go see you type from your madness and insanities peddling brains.
Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by achorladey: 9:38pm On Dec 03, 2023
justmondris:

Knowing someone does not mean you know everything about them 100%. Only God knows everyone 100% and there are somethings you don't even know about yourself.

You will see him lying and manipulating the what he typed. You can imagine how he turned the whole thing into an investigation scenario adopted in crime scene grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by achorladey: 9:40pm On Dec 03, 2023
tctrills:

Matthew 5 has nothing to do with revelations 20.5-6. You are making strange nonexistent connections.
And in God's kingdom, the Jews and gentiles are one. They have the same hope.
Still this does not make Jesus a liar. If you are not born again, you can't be in his kingdom, you can't be in his kingdom on earth or his kingdom in heaven or in any other planet. He actually made himself clear. He never said you need to be born again to enter a kingdom in heaven but not on earth.

He must peddle the madness and insanities peddling packed into his brains by his GODS of men housed in USA
Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by MaxInDHouse(m): 9:41pm On Dec 03, 2023
cornelboy:

According to our friend he must be born again before Jesus could promise him Paradise! grin

When we teach them and they disagree just leave them alone and see how they will later start questioning themselves on what they could have easily gotten the answer by humbly learning from Jehovah's Witnesses.

Just imagine what i knew the first two weeks of my study with Jehovah's Witnesses:

What does it mean to know God?

Even with the clear illustration he just feel it shouldn't have come from JWs! smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by achorladey: 9:42pm On Dec 03, 2023
liveyourlife007:

Who did God kill? Cos I'm confused why you're comparing Him to a killer

He wants to show us he is an ex military intelligence officer grin grin grin grin. I don't know who is carrying out criminal investigation about knowing God here grin grin grin
Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by achorladey: 9:48pm On Dec 03, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

I know the thief did not die alongside the one who has madness and insanities peddling brains. grin grin grin grin That person categorically stated that thief will be with him. The same person said one must be born again to gain entry into his kingdom grin grin grin grin

You can peddle more madness and insanities about that grin grin grin.
Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by Myer(m): 9:53pm On Dec 03, 2023
tctrills:
In the book of John 17.3, we learn, And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

If eternal life is the knowledge of God and Jesus Christ, then what does it mean to know God.

Do you know God from reading your Bible?
Do you know God by being a Christian?
How does one get to know God?
These are very Profound questions.
God is set to reveal Himself to you.

1. You know God by seeking Him in sincerity and humility.
By asking the right questions like you're doing now and being open-hearted. He reveals himself in various ways, the Bible is a documented book inspired by His Spirit.
So clearly it helps a lot. Studying the bible without the Spirit of God teaching you makes it head-knowledge which is not productive but destructive.

2. What does it mean to be a Christian?
A Christian is not a title but a nature. One who has known Christ and now talks, walks and works like Him. One who bears the gifts and fruit of the Spirit.

3. By studying the Word of God to Know and Do His Will. Not for ulterior motives or arguments.
Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by achorladey: 9:53pm On Dec 03, 2023
justmondris:

You are giving him room to peddle lies and manipulations of the scriptures from his madness and insanities peddling brains...

But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name

MaxInDHouse where in that scripture says they must preach to become sons of God.

You see the liar even manipulating Abraham being friend of God. The friendship of Abraham was premised simply on FAITH in God.

From their NWT...... and the scripture was fulfilled that says: “Abraham put faith in Jehovah,* and it was counted to him as righteousness,” and he came to be called Jehovah’s* friend

You will see him run helter-skelter to defend his GODS packing lies and manipulations into his brains grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by achorladey: 9:58pm On Dec 03, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

According to our friend he must be born again before Jesus could promise him Paradise! grin

When we teach them and they disagree just leave them alone and see how they will later start questioning themselves on what they could have easily gotten the answer by humbly learning from Jehovah's Witnesses.

Just imagine what i knew the first two weeks of my study with Jehovah's Witnesses:

What does it mean to know God?

Even with the clear illustration he just feel it shouldn't have come from JWs! smiley

To come and humbly learn truth that will become lies grin grin grin grin or what people know from time immemorial that who will be saved rest in the hand of Jesus and your GODS of men were busy separating weeds from wheat only to pack into your manipulated and lying brains during this year annual general meeting that they don't know and don't want to be dogmatic about who will be saved grin grin grin grin
Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by tctrills: 10:06pm On Dec 03, 2023
cornelboy:

I have answered a thousand times, the bible did not state if he was born again. If he will enter the kingdom of God, he must be born again because Jesus Christ does not lie.

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by tctrills: 10:07pm On Dec 03, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

This is what the thief said:

“Do you not fear God at all, now that you have received the same judgment? And we rightly so, for we are getting back what we deserve for the things we did; but this man did nothing wrong.” Luke 23:40-4

From your own understanding of the above is it possible for a Born Again Christian to be an armed robber?

Because the two guys in question were sentenced on gross criminal acts!smiley
Yes a born again man can commit sin if that is what you are asking.

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by tctrills: 10:08pm On Dec 03, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

And I said the bible did not tell if he was or not. Don't you understand my simple answer?

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by achorladey: 10:15pm On Dec 03, 2023
cornelboy:

John 17:23......Father, I want those whom you have given me to be with me where I am, in order that they may look upon my glory that you have given me, because you loved me before the founding of the world.

John 14: 3.....Also, if I go my way and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will receive you home to myself, so that where I am you also may be.

The where I am denotes which place? grin grin grin grin grin grin

You go run helter-skelter now. Read carefully should you dare to respond as your self imposed avoidance is still in place grin grin grin
Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by achorladey: 10:20pm On Dec 03, 2023
tctrills:

And I said the bible did not tell if he was or not. Don't you understand my simple answer?

They want speculated and assumption answer just like they do as packed into their lying and manipulated brains by their GODS
Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by tctrills: 11:11pm On Dec 03, 2023
achorladey:

They want speculated and assumption answer just like they do as packed into their lying and manipulated brains by their GODS
They know me, I am not in the game of speculations.
Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by MaxInDHouse(m): 5:55am On Dec 04, 2023
tctrills:

Yes a born again man can commit sin if that is what you are asking.
tctrills:

Was that THIEF sentenced by the Romans for the sin under Torah or a societal crime? cheesy

Guy Jesus was sentenced under the pretext that he committed SIN which the Jewish high court stated as BLASPHEMY that's why the thief could say about Jesus:

“Do you not fear God at all, now that you have received the same judgment? And we rightly so, for we are getting back what we deserve for the things we did; but this man did nothing wrong." Luke 23:40-41

According to the thief blasphemy against the Jewish tradition is not a crime under the Roman empire that's why he could say Jesus did nothing wrong. So it wasn't about sin but societal crime punishable under the constitution of any sane society!

So those thieves aren't Born Again Christians unless you can convince your own soul that armed robbers are BORN AGAIN Christians! cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by ayokashry1(m): 6:56am On Dec 04, 2023
tctrills:

I have answered a thousand times, the bible did not state if he was born again. If he will enter the kingdom of God, he must be born again because Jesus Christ does not lie.

Bornagain is the deposit of the spirit of Christ in a man who acknowledges his sins, acknowledge the Lord as saviour and repents.
The thief acknowledge himself as a sinner, acknowledge the Lord as his saviour and even demonstrated his faith in God's promised kingdom and requested that Jesus should remember him. Thus, those that call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Salvation is of the Lord and whosoever he wills he saves.
I'll have mercy on whom I'll have mercy.

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Know God? John 17.3 by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:13am On Dec 04, 2023
ayokashry1:

Bornagain is the deposit of the spirit of Christ in a man who acknowledges his sins, acknowledge the Lord as saviour and repents.
The thief acknowledge himself as a sinner, acknowledge the Lord as his saviour and even demonstrated his faith in God's promised kingdom and requested that Jesus should remember him. Thus, those that call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Salvation is of the Lord and whosoever he wills he saves.
I'll have mercy on whom I'll have mercy.

So how is the man's case better than that of Nicodemus who also acknowledged Jesus yet Jesus insisted that Nicodemus must be BORN AGAIN? John 3:3-5 smiley

BORN AGAIN doesn't mean acknowledgement but actions must be taken:
Must be baptized in water and anointed with God's Holy Spirit that's what Jesus taught when he mentioned BORN AGAIN not just acknowledgement! John 3:3-5 smiley

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (31) (Reply)

Pastor Faith Oyedepo Was Treated Medically In A South Africa Hospital / Why Is Sex A Sin? / How Joagbaje Became God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.