Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,298 members, 7,815,525 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:56 PM

Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? (26948 Views)

Ogbunigwe Ndigbo Vows To Retaliate Killing Of Igbo In North / Beaf Was Right, Ogbunigwe Was An Anti Aircraft Missile (pic). / Wonders Of The Biafran War Tech (ogbunigwe) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by aljharem(m): 11:57pm On Nov 12, 2011
Aigbofa:

Should I dignify this with a response? Nah!

LOL aigbofa, whether proto-type or not, it is still obsolete really even in the 1970s

Rather, instead of fighting about Ogbunigwe vs Autonov which to me one is a glorified scrape metal and the other just a cast iron filled with gun powder

I rather see, both groups aka the yorubas and the Igbos exchange knowlege with each other on how to make a better product or suggestions on how the 2 "inventors" could have made there "invention better.

That way, threads like this are more productive don't you think ? wink
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by kasiem(m): 11:59pm On Nov 12, 2011
Here comes the cow
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by Nobody: 12:13am On Nov 13, 2011
alj harem:

LOL aigbofa, whether proto-type or not, it is still obsolete really even in the 1970s

Rather, instead of fighting about Ogbunigwe vs Autonov which to me one is a glorified scrape metal and the other just a cast iron filled with gun powder

I rather see, both groups aka the yorubas and the Igbos exchange knowlege with each other on how to make a better product or suggestions on how the 2 "inventors" could have made there "invention better.

That way, threads like this are more productive don't you think ? wink

Obsolete in what sense? A guy made a prototype of something you have never seen before and you are telling me it was obsolete. By what standard sir?
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by aljharem(m): 12:41am On Nov 13, 2011
Aigbofa:

Obsolete in what sense? A guy made a prototype of something you have never seen before and you are telling me it was obsolete. By what standard sir?

don't get me wrong here, it is good and encouraging but

after the proto-type, have they continued the research to make a better type ?

I mean a proto-type in my definition is a precursor of the real thing that is to be built isn't it ?

it has been 40 Years now, surly the thing that the proto-type is made for must have been done.
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by phreakabit(m): 1:23am On Nov 13, 2011

[size=15pt]^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^[/size]

Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by Demainman1: 1:28am On Nov 13, 2011
Aigbofa, I will suggest you become a comedian. You'll surely give baba suwe a run for his money. You have made my night with this your jokes o o cheesy grin.

Now, let me go back to my own auto-lope 'invention' grin
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by Beaf: 1:32am On Nov 13, 2011
The principle of the autonov seems simple. I believe all Awojobi did was weld in an extra gear box facing rearwards so that forward gears could be used backwards.

The whole idea seems like a huge joke though. Fow example, how would a person taking advantage of the contraptions unconstrained rear direction speeds to charge backwards at 120kp/h steer the damn thing?!!! shocked
Gaddem!
The autonov has two steering wheels, but only one steerable set of wheels! Oti o!
Something tells me any fellow attempting to put the contraption to use and hurtle rearward at velocity, would sooner end up under a sun baked rock.

What is the point of creating a vehicle that can travel fast backwards, yet no one dares use the feature for fear of certain death? Its not only that the autonov has no use, even testing its so called rearward speed would have been a foolhardy enterprise. It is also plausible that it was never tested for fear of immediate death.

[size=14pt]It looks like a stove. If I put yam inside, will it boil? Can it cook egusi? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin[/size]

www.nairaland.com/attachments/180447_ROTFLMAO_gif3d0c775232c7f27cf80592785b9635b6
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by Nobody: 1:37am On Nov 13, 2011
@ aigbofa,
      tribalism/ethnocentrism has eaten you up.you need help.you wont find the british asking the japanese to forget about honda because they have rover.rather you see rover/honda -- british/japanese collaborating to produce good quality products.you are asking whoever cares to listen to forget about ogbunigwe just like that because it is not credited to your tribesman,at the end of the day you exposed yourself to so much ridicule such that your people and that grass eating cow who would normally side with you have simply distanced themseves from you.you should bury your head in shame.
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by Nobody: 1:40am On Nov 13, 2011
chima12:

@ aigbofa,
       tribalism/ethnocentrism has eaten you up.you need help.you wont find the british asking the japanese to forget about honda because they have rover.rather you see rover/honda -- british/japanese collaborating to produce good quality products.you are asking whoever cares to listen to forget about ogbunigwe just like that because it is not credited to your tribesman,at the end of the day you exposed yourself to so much ridicule such that your people and that grass eating cow who would normally side with you have simply distanced themseves from you.you should bury your head in shame.

Bury my head in shame? Are you high on drugs? How exactly did I expose myself to ridicule? I have at at least succeded in exposing the silly ogbunigwe as nothing more that a crude imitation of a known weapon, and not an Anti Aircraft Missilie as Beaf and many of you here would like us to believe.
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by Nobody: 1:53am On Nov 13, 2011
@ aigbofa,
I just told you the truth.Our modern world economy works through collaboration by all.lets assume you have an invention/innovation,you may need sponsors/partners to move it beyond prototype level.your best bet may be to partner with people from other race/tribe. ethnocentism ie yoruba rocks,igbo rocks or however some people may put it is not good.if we are so ethnocentric,we have no moral right to accuse the whites of racism.
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by Dawgpound: 1:54am On Nov 13, 2011
Lmbo @ Beaf
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by Nobody: 1:58am On Nov 13, 2011
Dawgpound:

Lmbo @ Beaf

Likewise here. He was the first to label that crude firecracker as an Anti Airfcrat Missile! I bet none of them is bold enough to post a picture of their magnificient fighter jet killer.
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by Nobody: 3:13am On Nov 13, 2011
chima12:

@ aigbofa,
I just told you the truth.Our modern world economy works through collaboration by all.lets assume you have an invention/innovation,you may need sponsors/partners to move it beyond prototype level.your best bet may be to partner with people from other race/tribe. ethnocentism ie yoruba rocks,igbo rocks or however some people may put it is not good.if we are so ethnocentric,we have no moral right to accuse the whites of racism.

But I never said I hate ibos, where did you get that idea from? If you make spurious claims and I challenge them, does that make me your enemy?
I hope that is not the case, because I'm not about to change.
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by Justcash(m): 4:07am On Nov 13, 2011
All of you that are asking for the use of "Otonov" are not business minded. If you sell this machine to suicide bombers, hmmmm, na die o! That will amount to suicide bombers using a suicidal machine for a suicide mission.
If I am the one that will market it to Boko Haram or Al quaida, I'll tell them that with "Otonov", they still have a chance to escape with the steering behind if they change their mind about dying. Infact, "Otonov" di egwu!!
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by abadaba(m): 4:13am On Nov 13, 2011
The man who invented this autonov 1 deserves some prison sentence.
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by Obiagu1(m): 6:03am On Nov 13, 2011
On a serious note, was this Autonov meant to be driven by one drive or two drivers?
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by tit(f): 6:56am On Nov 13, 2011
1 or 2 drivers?
life is tough enough with a driver and a back seat driver.
if you have 2 drivers, and one wants to head to lagos and the other say better dey ibadan,
and both fire down, na one spot autonov go dey till night fall ooo!
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by Obiagu1(m): 7:08am On Nov 13, 2011
Bosom:

1 or 2 drivers?
if you have 2 drivers, and one wants to head to lagos and the other say better dey ibadan,

O'ld boy, una go kill me for here. I don laff tire.
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by texazzpete(m): 7:28am On Nov 13, 2011
Bottom line is that Nigeria (and Nigerians!) is backward technologically, stuck somewhere in a position inferior to even WW2 era levels.
Even the highly touted Biafan war 'innovation' have been seen to be the norm for any group stuck with the onus of improvisation in the face of necessity. The Libyan war has shown us that.

I have mu doubts as to the practicability of this 'Antonov' vehicle, but people laughing here will be foolish not to understand that such silly 'inventions' are usually the stepping stone to much more advanced concepts. You use this as a test bed for ideas and roll it out in future improved designs. People actually sneered at the first attempts to make motor cars as an act of tomfoolery to make 'horseless carriages'.

So yes, it looks like crap, but it's still progress in the right direction. And it's no less ingenuity than welding sheets of plate metal to a truck and calling it a 'main battle tank'.

Remember we're yet to see any pics or blueprints of the 'ogbunigwe'. Can any of the people sneering and sniggering here produce some photos?
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by lagcity(m): 7:36am On Nov 13, 2011
WOW! So this thread still dey Alive. grin grin
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by lagcity(m): 7:38am On Nov 13, 2011
phreakabit:

this sht is crazy. i'm gonna save it for future use.
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by Eagle75: 8:36am On Nov 13, 2011
I love NairaLanders!!!!!! Your sense of humor is second to none. You have made my weekend, Hilarious bunch!!! Can just stop laughing grin grin grin
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by executinal(m): 9:23am On Nov 13, 2011
Damn Op this is real Autonov1, hope the autonove2 will be driving in all direction. wait a minut are you comparing the two invention or what?? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin I laugh in AUTHONOV1 grin grin
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by cecegorz(m): 12:15pm On Nov 13, 2011
Wow! Wow! Wow!
God bless you, Aigbofa for this thread. And double of that to Afam4Eva for those funny probing questions that kickstarted what I will call my comedy thread of the year!
I was laughing so hard at the departure hall that I didn't feel the frustration of my delayed flight for once. Honestly,  I've not laughed this deep in a long while, and you know laughter is good medicine!
thanks Y'all once again to all the other actors that helped to light up this comedy.
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by redsquare(m): 1:01pm On Nov 13, 2011
tit:

1 or 2 drivers?
@tit, u no go kill person for NL oooo, lwtmb.
Back to topic, what is all these rivalry between Igbos and Yorubas on NL? Aigbofa, you would have posted this 'invention' of a yoruba man without comparing it with ogbunigwe. Afterall they were meant to serve different purpose. I think it is time Nigerians irrespective of their ethnic background put heads together,synergize and achieve technological feat.
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by sheyguy: 4:22pm On Nov 13, 2011
texazzpete:

Bottom line is that Nigeria (and Nigerians!) is backward technologically, stuck somewhere in a position inferior to even WW2 era levels.
Even the highly touted Biafan war 'innovation' have been seen to be the norm for any group stuck with the onus of improvisation in the face of necessity. The Libyan war has shown us that.

I have mu doubts as to the practicability of this 'Antonov' vehicle, but people laughing here will be foolish not to understand that such silly 'inventions' are usually the stepping stone to much more advanced concepts. You use this as a test bed for ideas and roll it out in future improved designs. People actually sneered at the first attempts to make motor cars as an act of tomfoolery to make 'horseless carriages'.

So yes, it looks like crap, but it's still progress in the right direction. And it's no less ingenuity than welding sheets of plate metal to a truck and calling it a 'main battle tank'.

Remember we're yet to see any pics or blueprints of the 'ogbunigwe'. Can any of the people sneering and sniggering here produce some photos?

i tried to xplain same 2 them but they kept their initial stance, and will rather praise ogbunigwe which to me sounds like welding wheelbarrow to A car because they can't afford to operate it (as it was designed).

this is one of those nigerian feat that merits all kinds of recognition.
These r the the kind of pple we r missing in Nigeria today. Not flashy copycats.
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by freepeople: 4:42pm On Nov 13, 2011
^^^^^
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by Relax101(m): 4:47pm On Nov 13, 2011
texazzpete:

Remember[b] we're yet to see any pics or blueprints of the 'ogbunigwe'. Can any of the people sneering and sniggering here produce some photos[/b]?

You are not been sincere.
If an armored vehicle and a rocket could be built by the Biafran scientist, what then is common Ogbunigwe.
There's a video to back up the claim.

sheyguy:

i tried to xplain same 2 them but they kept their initial stance, and will rather praise ogbunigwe which to me sounds like welding wheelbarrow to A car because they can't  afford to operate it (as it was designed).

These r the the kind of pple we r missing in Nigeria today. Not flashy copycats.

Trash!!!
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by Nobody: 4:48pm On Nov 13, 2011
sheyguy:

i tried to xplain same 2 them but they kept their initial stance, and will rather praise ogbunigwe which to me sounds like welding wheelbarrow to A car because they can't  afford to operate it (as it was designed).

The idea is to ridicule this post regardless of the merit of what I posted. It's something I've probably done before for a good laugh.
But when the chips are down, we all know who is right and who is wrong. But, for those who really believe the firecracker contraption was an Anti-Aircraft Missile, those are the ones I truly feel sorry for.
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by Beaf: 4:51pm On Nov 13, 2011
texazzpete:

Lol! Something that was invented some 41 years ago and still hasn't found use, WILL NEVER EVER FIND USE.
It is a very useless contraption, it wasn't patented (making the concept free to use), still nobody has bothered to copy it; thats the true definition of, "useless."

Let us find real inventions / inventors in Nigeria and support them, but lets not bow down to any emotional reasons to support absolutely ridiculous stuff. Would you buy an autonov? If so, what for? grin grin grin
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by Nobody: 4:55pm On Nov 13, 2011
Beaf:

Lol! Something that was invented some 41 years ago and still hasn't found use, WILL NEVER EVER FIND USE.
It is a very useless contraption, it wasn't patented (making the concept free to use), still nobody has bothered to copy it; thats the true definition of, "useless."

Let us find real inventions / inventors in Nigeria and support them, but lets not bow down to any emotional reasons to support absolutely ridiculous stuff. Would you buy an autonov? If so, what for? grin grin grin

This is really sweet coming from the guy who told us ogbunigwe was an Anti-Aircraft Missile.Was that a statement of fact or some emotional outburst?
Re: Forget Ogbunigwe, Ever Heard Of Autonov 1? by Relax101(m): 5:00pm On Nov 13, 2011
By VINCENT UKPONG KALU Saturday, March 5, 2011

Dr. Felix Oragwu is a nuclear physicist and the arrowhead of the scientific and technological innovations that sustained secessionist Biafra during the thirty months of the Nigerian civil war. While many records have been made of the bloody struggle, there has not been much attempt to chronicle in details the scientific and technological feat that took place in Biafra.

To fill that gap, Oragwu decided to provide that missing link by writing the book, Scientific and Technological Innovations in Biafra: The Ogbunigwe Fame 1967 – 1970.

Ogbunigwe, the deadly mass destruction missile that made the federal troop jittery, was a product of the scientific feat of Biafra. Oragwu revealed how the Biafran scientists were assembled and how the name ogbunigwe was coined.
The author, in an interview with Saturday Sun, informed that the book basically deals with two major things – the ability of a nation in the development of science and technology and an instrument for the economic and industrial development of a country. The book was supposed to have come out in the 1970s, but couldn’t because of the heightened emotions then.

How ogbunigwe was invented
Between late July and early September 1967, it was reported that Biafra enjoyed air superiority over Nigeria by mere possession of an old 1939-1945 war vintage B.26 Bomber. One early September morning in 1967, the old B.26 was, as usual, primed for action at the Enugu airport, where the bomber was normally stationed preparatory for its routine bombing trips on military targets in Nigeria.
A Bofor ground to anti-aircraft gun located near the Enugu Airport defended the airport and the bomber. The primed B.26 bomber was ready to take off, at about 0630 hours on that fateful day to Nigeria, when suddenly there appeared a fast moving, low flying Russian MIG 15 Jet fighter, over the Enugu Airport and Biafra airspace for the first time since the war began. No member of the Science and Technology (S&T) Group before this incident had witnessed a MIG Jet fighter in action. The MIG jet fighter promptly attacked the airport and deflated the tyres of B.26 bomber, thereby immobilizing the vital warhorse.
“Later in the evening of that eventful day, the Commander of Biafra Air Force, after recovering from the shock and humiliation of the morning incident, summoned his officers, including the commander of Biafra Army engineers and some leading members of the S&T Group to the Enugu Airport for advice on the matter and what to do to bring down the low flying MIG jet fighter without the ground-to-air anti-craft guns.

“The Air Force commander, in shaking voice, informed the small group assembled of the MIG 15 Jet incidence of that morning and the implications for Biafra short-lived air superiority over Nigeria.”
With the emergence of MIG jet fighters in the federal troops’ arsenal, the use of B26 bomber, says the author, had come to an end. The ‘Bofor’ gun at the Enugu Airport had become irrelevant against fast moving low flying jet fighters. Therefore, he sought for what could be done to contain the jet fighters and maintain the morale of the Biafran troops and the population at large.
“In the course of the deliberations, a number of suggestions were made. The most viable was to find a mechanism for sending up debris, dust, small pebbles and the like in the path of the flying jet fighters in the hope that these dust particles could be sucked in by the jet fighters to impede its propulsion, asphyxiate and bring the jet fighters down. The question was what type of mechanism could be produced easily and quickly in Biafra to accomplish the task.
“To utilize this scientific principle in throwing up the debris in the path of a fast flying Jet fighter, the S&T-Group had to solve two problems. The first was the rotation of the debris in the bucket to set up laminar flow without allowing the latter to spin, the second was to generate such a recoil that the reaction to the recoil could impart sufficient energy to the rotated debris to rise far beyond the rooftops and spread the contents over a large air space.

An engineer member of the S&T Group called William Achukwu, Agricultural Engineer, volunteered to design and fabricate a metallic bucket-like system for the trials.

“A series of trial tests with varying masses (light materials) and sizes of the debris respectively, depending on the mass/sizes of the debris, gave excellent results achieving heights of 30-1000 feet (10-30 meters) respectively depending on the mass/sizes of the debris. The Air Force commander, the military personnel present, and members of the S&T Group present who witnessed the feat achieved, were very excited and went into jubilation. Most people were convinced that the new mechanism was an answer to the jet fighters, and the S&T Group was directed to produce many of the devices to be used not only at the airports but also as air defense cover at various Biafran troop locations.

The name Ogbunigwe

“In October 1967, the federal troops, having captured and secured Enugu, the capital of Biafra were on their way to Awka and Onitsha, the commercial nerve centre of Biafra, through the old Enugu-Awka-Onitsha road. The well armed, heavily equipped federal troops, with their superior fire power, encountered a battalion of poorly equipped, out-gunned and virtually exhausted Biafran troops at the Ugwuoba Bridge, few kilometers into Awka. However the Biafran troops had on hand some of their air defence dust mines. Unable to withstand the superior firepower of the federal troops, they began to run for their dear lives carrying along with them their air defence ‘mines’. Their resourceful commander (whose name has escaped my memory) ordered them back and commanded them to place the air defence mines horizontally rather than vertically as designed and fire them on the approaching federal troops to see what would happen and thereafter run for their dear lives. The command was promptly carried out. Indeed, the federal troops could not understand what hit them. The effect of the horizontal detonation of the air defense dust mines was very devastating leading to loss of many federal troops, as well loss of large quantities of arms and ammunitions some of which got completely burnt. The devastation was, indeed, very extensive particularly in the unintended loss of military personnel, some of who died from the shock waves generated by the unexpected explosions. The mass of water, from the river below the bridge, was thrown up and widely spread by the generated waves, thus adding to the trauma of the advancing troops.

“The following morning some members of the S&T Group were summoned to Ugwuoba Bridge by the military to help explain the new phenomenon and what really had happened to make the air defense dust mines accomplish what they did. Meanwhile, the people of Amansi Awka, the neighbouring village, were called out to the scene to help in burying the dead. An elderly man from Amansi Awka on seeing the large number of dead soldiers along the bridge exclaimed in Igbo: “ogbuefa n’igwe” (the dust mine had killed them in masses or massively). That was how the otherwise anti-aircraft “Air Dust Mine” got its name ogbunigwe (mass killer) and the S&T Group came to be referred to by the generality of the Biafra public as ogbunigwe people.

“Arising from the Ugwuoba incident, a device designed and fabricated as an anti aircraft dust mine had suddenly become useful as a ground-to-ground weapon with devastating impact beyond imagination. Its new mode of deployment provided Biafra with additional ammunitions. This incident vindicated the adage “that necessity is the mother of invention.”
*The book was presented in Lagos yesterday

Read more:http://www.gbooza.com/page.html#ixzz456 http://www.gbooza.com/group/nigeriapolitics/forum/topics/3-decades-after-military#ixzz1dbMHYzPw

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Governor Amaechi's Condolence Message To Jonathan Over Sister’s Death / APC Has No Plans For Igbo Presidency – Obasanjo / Buhari, Danjuma Meet Behind Closed Doors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.