Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,182 members, 7,818,575 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:10 PM

Am Beginning To Lose Faith In Islam: Boko-haram Caused It - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Am Beginning To Lose Faith In Islam: Boko-haram Caused It (18399 Views)

Why Nairalanders Lose Faith On The Religion Section Easily / The Pioneers (Fathers) Of The Christian Faith In Nigeria / Some Of Satan's Tricks To Get Us To Lose Faith In Christ Jesus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Am Beginning To Lose Faith In Islam: Boko-haram Caused It by Malstrom(m): 2:23pm On Nov 22, 2011
Sweetnecta, Yoruba sister, since you are Yoruba, you truly belong to Yoruba faith and Orisha! That's the true faith for Yorubas. You should be proud of your heritage and claim the original faith of your ancestors. If you practice Islam, don't let in take the focus out of your Yoruba culture and honouring of your ancestors. Your ancestors are there for you, ask them for guidance. Eledumare will reward you!

"The one who makes a pact with the ancestors becomes immortal"
Ase!
Re: Am Beginning To Lose Faith In Islam: Boko-haram Caused It by plappville(f): 2:32pm On Nov 22, 2011
Sweetnecta:

@Plappville: « #29 on: Today at 01:32:48 PM »but i have advised you even in a better manner, ma sista. but all you have done is to behave like aja to sonu [i hope you can read yoruba]. you need to come to my side, instead of worshiping 3 gods.

This is becos u are not a true Muslim, u do not have the violence drip flowing in ur generation maybe. I ve said the truth, true Muslims like to respond violently, yestarday, one was cursing me for pointing out fault in the koran "She said: may death stick all those who fight against allah shocked, i know the prayer will go no were because allah means just nothing but a framed up of Muhammed. I dont care to know what u wrote in yoruba, i stand for the truth, to preach against false religion. I should come to ur side? what will i read the koran? The book that copied all sort of History stories and claimed its from God? grin grin grin i am not ignorant SIR.
Re: Am Beginning To Lose Faith In Islam: Boko-haram Caused It by Malstrom(m): 2:45pm On Nov 22, 2011
The idea that Muslims are by default violent is a very racist propaganda propagated by the white power elite in the world to oppress the other races in the world through their "war on terror"

Recognise the real "terrorist", The nations of USA, Europe and their allies. Recognise the real enemy, and don't be a bloody aHSS licker for western interests.

"Divide and rule" - does that say anything to u?

"There was one time the house N---- and the Field N----"
Re: Am Beginning To Lose Faith In Islam: Boko-haram Caused It by plappville(f): 2:49pm On Nov 22, 2011
@Op: If Boko Haram, etc are your ideal muslims, [b]where do you put your parents who are muslims, spending their emotion, monies, etc on you? Are they not the logical examples for your life, instead of looking at shadowing ignorant group of low lives, pretending to be humans? Allah says some humans are even worse than cattle.

I took my Islam from my late father [ra] and in time, in less than a decade ago, my former christian mother became a muslim when I asked if Jesus was God, The All Powerful? She said no because she was able to differentiate lies from reality of "of my own power, I can do nothing", as Jesus had declared. I asked if Jesus was son of God, she knew enough that Adam and Eve who had no mother[s] were not children of God, and they would have been more qualified to be if God is to have children from mankind, since Jesus had even a mother, and looked like her, who in turn had parents. Alhamdulillah, my mother now in her 80s is a woman when she dies [not soon oh Allah. Give her many more decades, still, for you are abundant in Mercy, Blessing, etc], i will be able to make supplication to Allah for her.[/b]

U see, must he follow his parents steps, what if they are bad steps? as an adult one should be able to decide what is best for him in as long as it has no negetive effects him/her.

Alot of People have been decieved not because they find truth in what they are practicing, but because, they wish to follow steps of parents etc. Everyone will be judged seperately, my mother will not give account of me nither will i give account of my kids. But its my role to tell show them the right path and that right part is the the one with Violent and framed stories. This man is an adult he has find out the truth of Islam, he has come to seek solutions and people have given what they think is a solution for him, it is left for him to now decide for himself. This is not a matter of FATHER, MOTHER, AUNTY ETC ISSUE.
Re: Am Beginning To Lose Faith In Islam: Boko-haram Caused It by plappville(f): 2:56pm On Nov 22, 2011
Malstrom:

The idea that Muslims are by default violent is a very racist propaganda propagated by the white power elite in the world to oppress the other races in the world through their "war on terror"

Recognise the real "terrorist", The nations of USA, Europe and their allies. Recognise the real enemy, and don't be a bloody aHSS licker for western interests.

"Divide and rule" - does that say anything to u?

"There was one time the house N---- and the Field N----"

The real racist are the Arabs, i ve worked with them, i know them, i know how they educate their kids toward the black race. I ve no case in surport of the west, i just know that we are all human and desarve to love each other, if they Arabs/muslim enjoys violence, why won't they be talk of the world? they kill innocent bloods all for a reason best know to them. I stand for Jesus not "race".
Re: Am Beginning To Lose Faith In Islam: Boko-haram Caused It by plappville(f): 3:20pm On Nov 22, 2011
[b]from uplawal:[/b]I rejoice in the death of every enemy of Allah,and may his curse and his angels curse start manifesting in their lives.

See the reaction of a muslim sister toward people why believe there are errors in the Koran and.

Is this a good example of a peace religion? of course she is one of the true muslim. This is the prove.
Re: Am Beginning To Lose Faith In Islam: Boko-haram Caused It by Malstrom(m): 3:23pm On Nov 22, 2011
You cannot let the cases you have seen represent a whole religion neither can you let media portraying of Muslims represent Islam as a whole.
Also you mention Arabs, but I was talking about Muslims in general. Arabs do only make up a small portion of the Muslims, in fact only 20% of the worlds Muslims speak Arabic.

I never said Arabs can't be racist, however its racist to state that Arabs enjoy violence because putting it like that makes it seem you say all Arabs or Arabs in general are violent by nature. If some enjoy violence its natural because some people are just violent no matter what religion.

The violence and armed conflicts around the world including the Arab world is a consequence of western occupation, exploitation and colonization of the world. The "terrorists" are a product of foreign policy of the western world powers ant their big multi billion corporations.

The very Jesus that you pray to was introduced to us by the same damn people who burnt down our villages, raped the women, forced us to abandon our own religion and culture, dragging about half of Africa's population over seas to work to death.

These people came to Nigeria with Jesus and its all racist poison!
Re: Am Beginning To Lose Faith In Islam: Boko-haram Caused It by Malstrom(m): 3:33pm On Nov 22, 2011
They even changed Jesus so that he would look like them and you accept that. The racism is obvious in that Jesus is portrayed as a white man in every single church. They enslave our very faith and mind, who told us our original religion and culture was not good enough?- It was the white rats who came to "Civilize" the Africans which they regarded as just a little more than monkeys.

I bet go down and pray to the white man, White Jesus. Its an insult to your ancestors and your heritage, nothing to be proud of to adopt the oppressors religion.
Re: Am Beginning To Lose Faith In Islam: Boko-haram Caused It by Orikinla(m): 4:15pm On Nov 22, 2011
The best religion is the one between you and your creator and your faith in HIM will be your strength on earth.

Trust HIM.
Re: Am Beginning To Lose Faith In Islam: Boko-haram Caused It by Nobody: 4:18pm On Nov 22, 2011
Thank God people are beginning to lose faith in ISLAM and it's violence and non-stop bloodshed.
Re: Am Beginning To Lose Faith In Islam: Boko-haram Caused It by Sweetnecta: 4:20pm On Nov 22, 2011
Plappvile says she is not ignorant. Hmmm. What can I say? She picked on what Uplawal, similar to what Jesus would have said, and she ignored by advise, similar to how Jesus would have advised. I have a full experience of not so god and not so bad with christans of all ages, colors and levels of success. In all of that, there has not been anything in them that has attracted me to their 3 gods God. Why should i worship a man who felt and bled as i would?

And malsrom inviting me to worship handmades does not know that if you put those handmades in front of dogs, the dog will use them as it would use fire hydrant.

Plappville and Malstrom, listen to and take my advise by walking away from what can not hurt or benefit you. Heck, they can't even help themselves; the idols can't even feed itself and Jesus called on God for help. No one needs to follow his or her parent's religion, so Plappvile, why are you still in the religion of papa and mama?

Frosbel, people are not exactly one person, duh.
Re: Am Beginning To Lose Faith In Islam: Boko-haram Caused It by Sweetnecta: 4:23pm On Nov 22, 2011
@Orikinla: « #40 on: Today at 04:15:38 PM »
[Quote]The best religion is the one between you and your creator and your faith in HIM will be your strength on earth.

Trust HIM.[/Quote]Which God are you talking about; Yahweh who is Jehovah, Jesus who called his God Ellah, or Holy Ghost, the spirit whose name you can't tell us?
Re: Am Beginning To Lose Faith In Islam: Boko-haram Caused It by Nobody: 4:27pm On Nov 22, 2011
Frosbel, people are not exactly one person, duh.

I am sorry but we are not the ones who bow before a black stone situated in Mecca 5 times a day, this is idol worship.

Also we are not the ones that carry knives and daggers to ta place of worship.

We are not the ones that start violence and Jihad after Mosque prayers on Friday.

Come out of idolatry and stop following ALLAH and his 3 daughters.

Jesus Loves you, repent Now !!!!
Re: Am Beginning To Lose Faith In Islam: Boko-haram Caused It by sebastinta(m): 4:30pm On Nov 22, 2011
@ poster its abt time  grin, u knw wat dey say " ALL TERRORIST ARE MUSLIMS BUT ALL MUSLIMS ARE NOT TERRORIST"
Re: Am Beginning To Lose Faith In Islam: Boko-haram Caused It by maclatunji: 4:33pm On Nov 22, 2011
Enters thread, yawns at topic. So what do you want us to do about it? Knowledge is there for you to seek. There shall be no compulsion in religion!
Re: Am Beginning To Lose Faith In Islam: Boko-haram Caused It by 68816419: 4:35pm On Nov 22, 2011
Ijogz K (m): ur very funny,hahahahaha. u think u leaving islam will mean a "thing", as u are contemplating on leaving islam, thousands are also moving into it and for your information, islam is the only religion that gives u direct conversation with God.
lastly, a quetion 4 u. have read in the people of Allah where violent is accepted and where ur r asked to kill some one to justify any instances ? THINK, THINK, THINK!
Re: Am Beginning To Lose Faith In Islam: Boko-haram Caused It by ziccoit: 4:41pm On Nov 22, 2011
@Op are you practicing BH 'Islam' ? Or the one practiced by Adam, Abraham, Jesus etc ( may Allah please with them) and Muhammad (SAW)?
I am a Muslim and I practise Islam because Allah says so not because of Saudi, BH , etc.
Pls seek knowledge before you plunge into anything in life. It is obvious you don't understand the religion of God- Islam .
Re: Am Beginning To Lose Faith In Islam: Boko-haram Caused It by Nobody: 4:42pm On Nov 22, 2011
Mr, ma advice to u if u r really serious is to kneel down right now n ask GOD with sincerity at heart dat if he really exist he should show u d way, Am a proud christian n i hv seen dat d only luv is d luv of GOD thru JESUS . am telln u ur life will neva remain d same, luk at ISLAM everywhere dat its planted has traits of violence, even ur book speaks violence, dat cant b love, to kill ur fellow human is insane n not loving, join hands wit LOVE n lets mk our world a beta place, thanks. JESUS loves u, smiley
Re: Am Beginning To Lose Faith In Islam: Boko-haram Caused It by Nobody: 4:44pm On Nov 22, 2011
ISLAM feeds on death and human blood
Re: Am Beginning To Lose Faith In Islam: Boko-haram Caused It by BabaIbada: 4:48pm On Nov 22, 2011
If you truly have this thought on your mind, then you're more misguided than BokoHaram themselves. Have you ever taken time to research what you practise? Islam does not support violence and anyone who associates violence with islam (the West), uses violence in the name of ISlam (Boko Haram) and anyone who would leave Islam on the ground of it being violent(YOU) is absolutely misguided. BTW who would even notice if you leave Muslim World?
Re: Am Beginning To Lose Faith In Islam: Boko-haram Caused It by yusuf01(m): 4:51pm On Nov 22, 2011
@ poster
There is only one thing I can deduce, you are just a muslim by name (sorry if that offends you), you don't know why you are a muslim. Or better put it, you are a muslim because you parents are muslims. And that is where the problem lies, until you invest time in your religion - like the way you invest time in your education - you'll continue to be pushed around. Remember the first article of faith; know who God is before you worship him, if you don't know him, how can you worship him? If you invest your time and money on educating yourself about Islam, first you will be able to defend your religion and at the same time, you will know you are on the right path. Remember you only have one life to live, and the sole purpose of creation is to worship Allah, so it will be nice to educate yourself on Islam because that is the most important thing; that is why you are created. Allah will not ask you of your certificates, He'll only ask you how you have used the time he gave you while on earth.
By educating yourself, you will begin to distinguish between politics and religion, you will base you actions - and inactions - on the divine doctrine, not on the behaviours of people. You will distinguish between those who act on the whims of the desires and those who say 'we hear and obey' to Allah and his messenger's advice, you will differentiate the bigots from the true believers, In fact, you will know why Islam is growing despite this hatred that people have for it.
So in one word, invest in your Islamic education just as you invest in your career; you will never blame yourself for being a muslim. And brother, you only have one life to live, you don't know maybe you will see tomorrow, please start now. Ma sallam
Re: Am Beginning To Lose Faith In Islam: Boko-haram Caused It by alex406(m): 4:52pm On Nov 22, 2011
Guy dont let anybody decieve you,if you have really made up your mind find a living church and start attending,not just a church but living church. good luck.
Re: Am Beginning To Lose Faith In Islam: Boko-haram Caused It by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 4:53pm On Nov 22, 2011
Never knew u were a muslim @OP but whatever decision you take regarding your change of religion, be sure its the right one
Re: Am Beginning To Lose Faith In Islam: Boko-haram Caused It by Sweetnecta: 4:55pm On Nov 22, 2011
@Frosbel; « #44 on: Today at 04:27:12 PM [how you dey, ol boy, frosbel?]
[Quote]I am sorry but we are not the ones who bow before a black stone situated in Mecca 5 times a day, this is idol worship.[/Quote]you really should be sorry and hence bow your head in shame if there is any dignity in your body, because the black stone is a small object in a whole structure called the Ka'aba. The people who are in Masjid Aqsa who are looking at the Ka'aba, but are on opposite side for example where they don't see it, you can't possibly say they are bowing to it. Do you know what they call focal point, a hob? Thats what Ka'aba is, the black stone being just if you will a prominent cornerstone.
You dont live inside your door, but it is the thing that is important to you, if you must get to your bed, daily.

[Quote]Also we are not the ones that carry knives and daggers to ta place of worship.[/Quote]So this a crime while you simply dismissed carrying swords?

[Quote]We are not the ones that start violence and Jihad after Mosque prayers on Friday.[/Quote]And you dont stop to kill after you made your Lord's prayer, so much so that there are biblical verses now on rifles and killing machines.

[Quote]Come out of idolatry and stop following ALLAH and his 3 daughters.[/Quote]here are your idols; 3 gods, one was a son of man and god and he finally got killed by humans in middle east, and the last you can not tell us his or her name or you will try to give us the name of holy spirit, today? Allah says and you will find it on the pages of the Quran how do I have a son when I have no consort, and then He say, he does not beget nor was He begotten.

[Quote]Jesus Loves you, repent Now !!!![/Quote]Alhamdulillah that I am not one of the miracle workers, but you are that Jesus will say I do not know ye, depart from me, you evil soul.
Re: Am Beginning To Lose Faith In Islam: Boko-haram Caused It by Nobody: 5:00pm On Nov 22, 2011
@Frosbel; « #44 on: Today at 04:27:12 PM [how you dey, ol boy, frosbel?]you really should be sorry and hence bow your head in shame if there is any dignity in your body, because the black stone is a small object in a whole structure called the Ka'aba. The people who are in Masjid Aqsa who are looking at the Ka'aba, but are on opposite side for example where they don't see it, you can't possibly say they are bowing to it. Do you know what they call focal point, a hob? Thats what Ka'aba is, the black stone being just if you will a prominent cornerstone.
You dont live inside your door, but it is the thing that is important to you, if you must get to your bed, daily.

Why at all a black stone in the Kabba, why do people kiss it.

Plain idolatry !!

Remember this pagan tradition existed before Muhammad.

So this a crime while you simply dismissed carrying swords?

Carrying swords to church , lol.

Wow, is that not violence in waiting .

And you dont stop to kill after you made your Lord's prayer, so much so that there are biblical verses now on rifles and killing machines.

Please make some sense and stop blabbing about.

here are your idols; 3 gods, one was a son of man and god and he finally got killed by humans in middle east, and the last you can not tell us his or her name or you will try to give us the name of holy spirit, today? Allah says and you will find it on the pages of the Quran how do I have a son when I have no consort, and then He say, he does not beget nor was He begotten.

This is a lie. GOD is one , he has no partners.

But ALLAH has 3 daughters or godesses , it is a proven fact and because of this truth the Ayatollah issued a fatwa on Salman's head . Why can you guys not just bear the truth ?

Alhamdulillah that I am not one of the miracle workers, but you are that Jesus will say I do not know ye, depart from me, you evil soul.

What miracle did Muhammad the false prophet perform, other than his lies and deceit.
Re: Am Beginning To Lose Faith In Islam: Boko-haram Caused It by nagoma(m): 5:10pm On Nov 22, 2011
Politicians are driving you away from Islam and you take Nairalanders seriously. You need to get yourself educated. Sorry.
Re: Am Beginning To Lose Faith In Islam: Boko-haram Caused It by sebastinta(m): 5:26pm On Nov 22, 2011
Sweetnecta:

@Frosbel; « #44 on: Today at 04:27:12 PM [how you dey, ol boy, frosbel?]you really should be sorry and hence bow your head in shame if there is any dignity in your body, because the black stone is a small object in a whole structure called the Ka'aba. The people who are in Masjid Aqsa who are looking at the Ka'aba, but are on opposite side for example where they don't see it, you can't possibly say they are bowing to it. Do you know what they call focal point, a hob? Thats what Ka'aba is, the black stone being just if you will a prominent cornerstone.

And you dont stop to kill after you made your Lord's prayer, so much so that there are biblical verses now on rifles and killing machines.

here are your idols; 3 gods, one was a son of man and god and he finally got killed by humans in middle east, and the last you can not tell us his or her name or you will try to give us the name of holy spirit, today? Allah says and you will find it on the pages of the Quran how do I have a son when I have no consort, and then He say, he does not beget nor was He begotten.

Alhamdulillah that I am not one of the miracle workers, but you are that Jesus will say I do not know ye, depart from me, you evil soul.

dude u gotta get your S H I T 2geda, open your eyes nd look around. imagine d world without muslims, nt saying it ll b perfect but it ll b alot better
Re: Am Beginning To Lose Faith In Islam: Boko-haram Caused It by Torch1(m): 5:27pm On Nov 22, 2011
Islam is a religion of peace
Lwkmd, Why must Muslims alwaz remind us that Islam is a religion of peace?? I hardly hear non-muslims do so. Why always Muslims? Even Farouk Abdulmutallab, Boko haram, Al-qeada, Taliban, Al-shabab members wil still claim that Islam is a religion of peace.
Do i blame them? No.
They are only practising what they found in that Arabic text book called Qur'an(Koran).
Re: Am Beginning To Lose Faith In Islam: Boko-haram Caused It by auwal87(m): 5:31pm On Nov 22, 2011
MISCONCEPTION #1:
Muslims are violent, terrorists and/or extremists.

This is the biggest misconception in Islam, no doubt resulting from
the constant stereotyping and bashing the media gives Islam.  When a
gunman attacks a mosque in the name of Judaism, a Catholic IRA
guerrilla sets off a bomb in an urban area, or Serbian Orthodox
militiamen rape and kill innocent Muslim civilians, these acts are not
used to stereotype an entire faith. Never are these acts attributed
to the religion of the perpetrators. Yet how many times have we heard
the words 'Islamic, Muslim fundamentalist. etc.' linked with violence.  

Politics in so called  "Muslim countries" may or may not have any
Islamic basis.  Often dictators and politicians will use the name of
Islam for their own purposes. One should remember to go to the source
of Islam and separate what the true religion of Islam says from what
is portrayed in the media. Islam literally means 'submission to God'
and is derived from a root word meaning 'peace'.  

Islam may seem exotic or even extreme in the modern world. Perhaps
this is because religion doesn't dominate everyday life in the West,
whereas Islam is considered a 'way of life' for Muslims and they make
no division between secular and sacred in their lives.   Like
Christianity, Islam permits fighting in self-defense, in defense of
religion, or on the part of those who have been expelled forcibly
from their homes.  It lays down strict rules of combat which include
prohibitions against harming civilians and against destroying crops,
trees and  livestock.

NOWHERE DOES ISLAM ENJOIN THE KILLING OF INNOCENTS, The Quran says:
"Fight in the cause of God against those who fight you, but do not
transgress limits.  God  does not love transgressors." (Quran 2:190)
"If they seek peace, then seek you peace.  And trust in God for He is
the One that heareth  and knoweth all things." (Quran 8:61) War,
therefore, is the last resort, and is subject to the rigorous
conditions laid down by the  sacred law.  The term 'jihad' literally
means 'struggle'.  Muslims believe that there are two kinds of  jihad.
The other 'jihad' is the inner struggle of the soul which everyone
wages against egotistic  desires for the sake of attaining inner
peace.

MISCONCEPTION #2:
Islam oppresses women.

The image of the typical Muslim woman wearing the veil and forced to
stay home and forbidden to drive is all too common  in most peoples
thoughts. Although some Muslim countries may  have laws that oppress
women, this should not be seen as coming  from Islam.  Many of these
countries do not rule by  any kind of Shari'ah (Islamic law) and
introduce their own cultural standpoints on the issue of  gender
equity.

Islam on the other hand gives men and women different roles and equity
between the two  is laid down in the Quran and the example of the
Prophet (peace be upon him). Islam sees a woman, whether   single or
married, as an individual in her own right, with the right to own and
dispose of her property  and earnings.  A marriage gift is given by
the groom to the bride for her own personal use, and  she keeps her
own family name rather than taking her husband's. Both men and women
are expected to dress in a way that is modest and dignified. The
Messenger of God (peace be upon him) said: "The most perfect in faith
amongst  believers is he who is best in manner and kindest to his
wife."  

Violence of any kind towards  women and forcing them against their
will for anything is not allowed. A Muslim marriage is a simple, legal
agreement in which either partner is free to include  conditions.
Marriage customs thus vary widely from country to country.  Divorce is
not common,  although it is acceptable as a last resort.  According to
Islam, a Muslim girl cannot be forced to  marry against her will: her
parents simply suggest young men they think may be suitable.

MISCONCEPTION #3:  
Muslims worship a different God.

Allah is simply the Arabic word for God. Allah for Muslims is  the
greatest and most inclusive of the Names of God, it is an Arabic word
of rich meaning, denoting the one and only God and ascribing no
partners to Him. It is exactly the same word which the Jews, in
Hebrew, use for God (eloh), the word which Jesus Christ used in
Aramaic when he prayed to God. God has an identical name in Judaism,
Christianity, and Islam; Allah is the same God worshiped by Muslims,
Christians and Jews.  Muslims believe that Allah's sovereignty is to
be acknowledged in worship and in the pledge to obey His teaching and
commandments, conveyed through His messengers and prophets who were
sent at various times and in many places throughout history.
However, it should be noted that God in Islam is One and Only. He,
the Exalted, does not get tired, does not have a son ie Jesus or
have associates, nor does He have human-like attributions as found in
other faiths.

MISCONCEPTION #4:
Islam was spread by the sword and intolerant of other faiths.

Many social studies textbooks for students show the image of an Arab
horseman carrying  a sword in one hand and the Quran in the other
conquering and forcibly converting. This, though, is not a correct
portrayal of history.  Islam has always given respect and  freedom of
religion to all faiths. The Quran says: "God forbids you not, with
regards to those who fight you not for [your]  faith nor drive you out
of your homes, from dealing kindly and justly with them; for God
loveth those  who are just. 60:cool

Freedom of religion is laid down in the Quran itself: "There is no
compulsion (or coercion)  in the religion (Islam).  The right
direction is distinctly clear from error". (2:256) Christian
missionary, T.W. Arnold had this opinion on his study of the question
of the  spread of Islam: ", of any organized attempt to force the
acceptance of Islam on the non-Muslim  population, or of any
systematic persecution intended to stamp out the Christian religion,
we hear  nothing. Had the caliphs chosen to adopt either course of
action, they might have swept away  Christianity as easily as
Ferdinand and Isabella drove Islam out of Spain, or Louis XIV made
Protestanism , "

It is a function of Islamic law to protect the privileged status of
minorities, and this is why  non-Muslim places of worship have
flourished all over the Islamic world.  History provides many
examples of Muslim tolerance towards other faiths: when the caliph
Omar entered Jerusalem in the  year 634, Islam granted freedom of
worship to all religious communities in the city.   Proclaiming to the
inhabitants that their lives, and property were safe, and that their
places of  worship would never be taken from them, he asked the
Christian patriarch Sophronius to  accompany him on a visit to all the
holy places.  Islamic law also permits non-Muslim minorities to set up
their own courts, which  implement family laws drawn up by the
minorities themselves. The life and property of all citizens in an
Islamic state are considered sacred whether the  person is Muslim or
not.

Racism is not a part of Islam, the Quran speaks only of human equality
and how all  peoples are equal in the sight of God.   "O mankind! We
created you from a single soul, male and  female, and made you into
nations and tribes, so that you may come to know one another.  Truly,
the most honored of you in God's sight is the greatest of you in
piety.  God is All-Knowing, All- Aware. (49:13)

MISCONCEPTION #5:
All Muslims are Arabs

The Muslim population of the world is around 1.2 billion.  1 out of 5
people in the world is a  Muslim.  They are a vast range of races,
nationalities, and cultures from around the globe--from the
Phillipines to Nigeria--they are united by their common Islamic faith.
Only about 18% live  in the  Arab world and the largest Muslim
community is in Indonesia.  Most Muslims live east of Pakistan.   30%
of Muslims live in the Indian subcontinent, 20% in Sub-Saharan Africa,
17% in Southeast  Asia, 18% in the Arab world, and 10% in the Soviet
Union and China.  Turkey, Iran and  Afghanistan make up 10% of the
non-Arab Middle East.  Although there are Muslim minorities in  almost
every area, including Latin America and Australia, they are most
numerous in Russia and  its newly independent states, India and
central Africa.  There are about 6 million Muslims in the  United
States

MISCONCEPTION #6:
The Nation of Islam is a Muslim group.

Islam and the so called  "Nation of Islam'" are two different
religions.  NOI is more of a political organization since its members
are not limited to a single faith. Muslims consider this group to be
just one of many cults using the name of Islam for their own gain.  
The only thing  common between them is the jargon, the language used
by both. "The Nation of Islam" is a misnomer; this religion should be
called Farrakhanism, after the name of its propogator, Louis Farrakhan.  

Islam and Farakhanism differ in many fundamental ways. For example,
Farakhan followers  believe in racism and that the 'black man' was the
original man and therefore superior, while in  Islam there is no
racism and everyone is considered equal in the sight of God, the only
difference  being in one's piety. There are many other theological
examples that show the 'Nation's teachings  have little to do with
true Islam.    There are many groups in America who claim to represent
Islam and call their adherents  Muslims.  

Any serious student of Islam has a duty to investigate  and find the
true Islam. The only two authentic sources which bind every Muslim
are 1. the Quran and 2. authentic or sound Hadith. Any teachings under
the label of "Islam" which contradict or at variance with the direct
understanding of fundamental beliefs and practices of Islam form the
Quran and authentic Hadith should be rejected and such a religion
should be considered a Pseudo-Islamic Cult. In America there are many
pseudo-Islamic cults, Farrakhanism being one of them. An honest
attitude on the  part of such cults should be not to call themselves
Muslims and their religion Islam. such an  example of honesty is
Bahaism which is an off-shoot of Islam but Bahais do not call
themselves  Muslims nor their religion, Islam. In fact Bahaism is not
Islam just as Farrakhanism is not Islam.

MISCONCEPTION #7:
All Muslim men marry four wives.

The religion of Islam was revealed for all societies and all times and
so accommodates  widely differing social requirements.  Circumstances
may warrant the taking of another wife but the  right is granted,
according to the Quran, only on condition that the husband is
scrupulously fair. No woman can be forced into this kind of marriage
if they do not wish it, and they also have the  right to exclude it in
their marriage contract.  

Polygamy is neither mandatory, nor encouraged, but  merely permitted.
Images of "sheikhs with harems" are not consistent with Islam, as a
man is  only allowed at most four wives only if he can fulfill the
stringent conditions of treating each fairly  and providing each with
separate housing etc.  Permission to practice polygamy is not
associated  with mere satisfaction of passion.  It is rather
associated with compassion toward widows and  orphans. It was the
Quran that limited and put conditions on the practice of polygamy
among the  Arabs, who had as many as ten or more wives and considered
them "property".  

It is both honest and accurate to say that it is Islam that regulated
this practice, limited  it, made it more humane, and instituted equal
rights and status for all wives. What the Qur'anic  decrees amount to,
taken together is discouragement of polygamy unless necessity for it
exists. It is also evident that the general rule in Islam is monogamy
and not polygamy. It is a very  tiny percentage of Muslims that
practice it over the world. However, permission to practice limited
polygamy is only consistent with Islam's realistic view of the nature
of man and woman and of  various social needs, problems and cultural
variations.

The question is, however far more than the inherent flexibility of
Islam; it also is the frank  and straightforward approach of Islam in
dealing with practical problems.  Rather than requiring  hypocritical
and superficial compliance, Islam delves deeper into the problems of
individuals and  societies, and provides for legitimate and clean
solutions which are far more beneficial than would  be the case if they
were ignored. There is no doubt that the second wife legally married
and treated  kindly is better off than a mistress without any legal
rights or expermanence.

MISCONCEPTION #8:
Muslims are a barbaric, backward people.

Among the reasons for the rapid and peaceful spread of Islam was the
simplicity of its  doctrine-Islam calls for faith in only one God
worthy of worship.  It also repeatedly instructs man to  use his
powers of intelligence and observation. Within a few years, great
civilizations and universities were flourishing, for according to the
Prophet (pbuh), 'seeking knowledge is an obligation for every Muslim
man and woman'.  

The  synthesis of Eastern and Western ideas and of new thought with
old, brought about great  advances in medicine, mathematics, physics,
astronomy, geography, architecture, art, literature,  and history.
Many crucial systems such as algebra, the Arabic numerals, and also
the concept of  the zero (vital to the advancement of mathematics),
were transmitted to medieval Europe from  Islam.  Sophisticated
instruments which were to make possible the European voyages of
discovery  were developed, including the astrolabe, the quadrant and
good navigational maps.

MISCONCEPTION #9:
Muhammad was the founder of Islam and Muslims worship him.

Muhammad(pbuh) was born in Mecca in the year 570.   Since his father
died before his  birth, and his mother shortly afterwards, he was
raised by his uncle from the respected tribe of  Quraysh.  As he grew
up, he became known for his truthfulness, generosity and sincerity, so
that  he was sought after for his ability to arbitrate in disputes.
The historians describe him as calm and  meditative. Muhammad (pbuh)
was of a deeply religious nature, and had long detested the decadence
of his society.  

It became his habit to meditate from time to time in the Cave of Hira
near Mecca. At the age of 40, while engaged in a meditative retreat,
Muhammad(pbuh) received his first  revelation from God through the
Angel Gabriel.  This revelation, which continued for 23 years is
known as the Quran. As soon as he began to recite the words he heard
from Gabriel, and to preach the truth  which God had revealed to him,
he and his small group of followers suffered bitter persecution,
which grew so fierce that in the year 622 God gave them the command to
emigrate.  

This event,  the Hijra 'migration', in which they left Mecca for the
city of Medina, marks the beginning of the  Muslim calendar.  After
several years, the Prophet and his followers were able to return to
Mecca, where they forgave their enemies and established Islam
definitively. Before the Prophet saw dies at the age of 63, the
greater part of Arabia was Muslim, and within a century of his death
Islam had spread to Spain in the West and as far East as China. He
died with less than 5 possessions to his name.

While Muhammad (pbuh) was chosen to deliver the message, he is not
considered the  "founder" of Islam, since Muslims consider Islam to be
the same divine guidance sent to all peoples before.  Muslims believe
all the prophets from Adam, Noah, Moses, Jesus etc. were all sent
with divine guidance for their peoples.  Every prophet was sent to his
own people, but Muhammad(pbuh) was sent to all of mankind.  Muhammad
is the last and final messenger sent to deliver the message of Islam.
Muslims revere and honor him (pbuh) for all he went through and his
dedication, but they do not worship him.  "O Prophet, verily We have
sent you as a witness and a bearer of glad tidings and a warner and
as one who invites unto God by His leave and as an illuminating
lamp."(33:45-6)

MISCONCEPTION #10:
Muslims don't believe in Jesus or any other prophets.  

Muslims respect and revere Jesus, upon him be peace, and await his
Second Coming.   They consider him one of the greatest of God's
messengers to mankind.  A Muslim never refers to him simply as
'Jesus', but always adds the phrase 'upon him be peace' (abbreviated
as (u) here).   The Quran confirms his virgin birth (a chapter of the
Quran is entitled 'Mary'), and Mary is considered the purest woman in
all creation.  The Quran describes the Annunciation as follows:

"Behold!" the Angel said, "God has chosen you, and purified you, and
chosen you above the women of all nations.  O Mary, God gives you
good news of a word from Him whose name shall be the Messiah, Jesus
son of Mary, honored in this world and the Hereafter, and one of those
brought near to God.  He shall speak to the people from his cradle and
in maturity, and shall be of the righteous." She said: "O my Lord!
How shall I have a son when no man has touched me?" He said:  "Even
so; God creates what He will.  When He decrees a thing, He says to it,
"Be!" and it is"  (Quran 3:42-47)

Jesus (u) was born miraculously through the same power, which had
brought Adam (u) into being without a father: "Truly, the likeness of
Jesus with God is as the likeness of Adam.  He created him of dust,
and then said to him, 'Be!' and he was." (3:59) During his prophetic
mission Jesus (u) performed many miracles. The Quran tells us that he
said: " I have come to you with a sign from your Lord:  I make for you
out of clay, as it were, the figure of a bird, and breath into it
and it becomes a bird by God's leave.  And I heal the blind, and the
lepers, and I raise the dead by God's leave." (3:49) Neither Muhammad
(pbuh) not Jesus (u) came to change the basic doctrine of the brief in
One God brought by earlier prophets, but to confirm and renew it.  

In the Quran Jesus (u) is reported as saying that he came: "To attest
the law which was before me.  And to make lawful to you part of what
was forbidden you; I have come to you with a sign from your Lord, so
fear God and obey Me. (3:50) The Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said:
"Whoever believes there is no god but God, alone without partner,
that Muhammad (pbuh) is His messenger, that Jesus is the servant and
messenger of God, His word breathed into Mary and a spirit emanating
from Him, and that Paradise and Hell are true, shall be received by
God into Heaven. "(Hadith related by Bukhari).

Some more Misconceptions on Islam - good info page

Sources:

(Islam: A Brief Introduction, Islamic Circle of North America,
Jamaica, New York)

(Understanding Islam and the Muslims, The Islamic Affairs Department
The Embassy of Saudi Arabia, Washington DC, 1989.)

(Badawi, Jamal, Polygamy in Islamic Law, The Muslim Students'
Association of the United States & Canada,)

(Islam and Farrakhanism Compared, The Institute of Islamic Information
and Education, Chicago, Illinois)

(Jihad Explained, The Institute of Islamic Information & Education,
Chicago, Illinois)
Re: Am Beginning To Lose Faith In Islam: Boko-haram Caused It by Nobody: 5:39pm On Nov 22, 2011
Guys and Gals for more info on ISLAM by experts go to :

http://prophetofdoom.net and http://www.answeringislam.org
Re: Am Beginning To Lose Faith In Islam: Boko-haram Caused It by Torch1(m): 5:46pm On Nov 22, 2011
Sweetnecta:

Don't you think ur Koran full of contradictions, Qur'an 6:101 claimed that Allah cannot have a son without a consort and the same Koran claims that Mary had a son without a consort(Qur'an 19:20-21), Is this not limiting Allah's Omnipotence??
Re: Am Beginning To Lose Faith In Islam: Boko-haram Caused It by awuf2008: 5:49pm On Nov 22, 2011
Both Religion preaches peace and tolerance but some misguided and polarized few are the ones  spoiling and soiling the Islam religion. Afterall there are many Moslems out there that behave and practice their religion peacefully. so my guy, you dont need to switch religion, as converting to other religion will still not have solved anything. Remember your heart is your religion not the name. I am a christian by religion.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Just Like The Biblical Joseph, Have You Ever Turned Down A Sexual Advance? / The Descendant Of Apes / God Asked Me To Retire, Says Pope Benedict XVI

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 161
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.