Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,974 members, 7,817,870 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:44 PM

Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! (117919 Views)

Attention: Nigerians Living And Working In UAE (dubai) / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Nobody: 4:07pm On May 01, 2013
Santino1: were you able to meet up with the guy that planned to come to Geneva?

BTW, thought you've resumed your embassy job due to your prolonged absence. hope you've been alright though?

nope, i've never heard from him again!

no, my internship will begin only in September.... I still have many months here.... I'm doing a very boring internship now :-S

sometimes i don't come on nairaland for a while, or don't post, that's all
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by redcliff: 1:19pm On May 02, 2013
jay3012: Dis redcliff is too self centered...here he is bugging misssweety to ansa his question..yet I asked him sumfin on dis thread nd he didn't reply

[size=14pt]That's a bad thing to say about someone you don't know. It probably was an oversight on my part. I can't recollect you asking me any questions, i would have to check from the first page again.[/size]
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by redcliff: 5:04pm On May 02, 2013
jay3012: Redcliff congratlations... is it university of geneva?? If so wat course did u apply for?....I applied for m.sc biochemistry se
ptember entry but few days ago the skul asked me to send certified true copy of my original certificate as opposed to the statement of result I sent them....they said I should do so in 30days time...but my degree certificate is not ready yet but my skul siad they would send an official cover letter to univ of geneva telling them that my certificate is not yet ready...did u send ur statement of result or ur degree certificate to the skul? And do u think the skul wil accept the official cover note my skul wants to send Pls reply asap..tnxxx

Okay, your question seen. I really don't know about the university of Geneva and their requirements as i did not apply with them and its not the same. I am also like you trying to find just further my studies abroad. What i think you should do is to get a statement of your result and notarize it with the Ministry of Education or something. If your school is sending it directly with a cover letter, it would pan out good for you.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by mallorca(m): 3:52pm On May 03, 2013
Greeting from Rheinfall Schaffhausen,
kanton Schaffhausen-Schweiz

1 Like

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by raphrinco: 5:05pm On May 03, 2013
Studying in Austria is good ,going by what an Austrian told me.He said his country is good for Education
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Nobody: 6:43pm On May 03, 2013
raphrinco: Studying in Austria is good ,going by what an Austrian told me.He said his country is good for Education

It's not because Austria and Switzerland are both small countries and neighbours that they are the same! This topic is about Switzerland, not Austria. Where is justwise when he is needed?!!!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Be2012(f): 7:16am On May 10, 2013
Hello Peeps, I applied to thE university of frbiourg and am about to gain admissionow a friend of mine informed that inorder To ObtAin a study permit to switzerland (Fribourg)I need to book an appointment with the embassy which takeS abt 15days, then after submitting my required docs it may take bwtn 4 and 3 months to get a feedback from swiss authorities. Pls is thiS really true for nigerians wishin to study there?
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Santino1(m): 8:06am On May 10, 2013
Be+2012:
Hello Peeps, I applied to thE university of frbiourg and am about to gain admissionow a friend of mine informed that inorder To ObtAin a study permit to switzerland (Fribourg)I need to book an appointment with the embassy which takeS abt 15days, then after submitting my required docs it may take bwtn 4 and 3 months to get a feedback from swiss authorities. Pls is thiS really true for nigerians wishin to study there?

I seriously doubt the veracity of that claim. It shouldn't take more than a month at the most.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Nobody: 8:08am On May 10, 2013
Be+2012:

Hey! I studied at the University of Fribourg too :-)! I advise you to contact the Swiss embassy in Abuja. You can also search info on their website http://www.eda.admin.ch/eda/en/home/reps/afri/vnga/embabu.html
http://www.eda.admin.ch/eda/en/home/reps/afri/vnga/ref_visinf/visnga.html
It is indeed written that it takes 3 to 4 months to get a reply from the Swiss authorities. Maybe the other ones who obtained the student visa will be able to give you more information on that. I'm Swiss so I don't really know. When are you coming to Fribourg? Try to get the documents as soon as possible. If you intend to start in September you can still make it by sending the documents quickly. Email or give a call to the embassy. They should be able to help you.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Nobody: 8:08am On May 10, 2013
Be+2012:
Check the embassy website, every informations you need will be there.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Nobody: 8:21am On May 10, 2013
Santino1:

I seriously doubt the veracity of that claim. It shouldn't take more than a month at the most.

I doubted it and I checked the student visa requirements on the website of the Swiss embassy and it is indeed stated that it takes 3 to 4 months to obtain a reply from the Swiss authorities.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by redcliff: 8:15pm On May 10, 2013
Be+2012:

Getting an appointment from the swiss embassy doesn't take so much time. I was suprised I got mine under 2days or less. Send them a mail preferably, it was faster for me, I'm guessing it should be for you too. And yes it take about 15weeks to get a reply from the embassy concerning your visa status and that's because, they have to get info from your 'supposed' institution'
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Be2012(f): 8:55pm On May 11, 2013
@ misssweety with all the ifo I have gathered so far, I don't think I would be able To wait thAt long for A permit , I would rather go for a UK visa its kind of easier and straight forward.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Nobody: 9:34pm On May 11, 2013
Be+2012:
@ misssweety with all the ifo I have gathered so far, I don't think I would be able To wait thAt long for A permit , I would rather go for a UK visa its kind of easier and straight forward.

you should just give a call or send an email to the embassy. apparently someone said it didn't take that long for him.
my ex went to study in UK and he was only able to start school weeks later after classes resumed because of the visa.
if you intend to start in september, and i think it's the only possiblity because you cannot start during the semester, you have enough time even if it takes 3 months. there are people on this thread who are coming for study in september, i don't remember their names but you should maybe check and ask them how long it take to process.
if you have already been accepted at the university it might be worth to try to give them a call. what facutly did you apply to?
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Beehandz(m): 7:20pm On May 12, 2013
@ Miss-sweety86.

I must commend ur effort on this thread.
Pls do any University or Ploytechnicz in swizz offers PGD in earth sci Courses like Geology or Geophysics or GIS?

1 Like

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Nobody: 8:24pm On May 12, 2013
We have 2 polytechnical schools one in Lausanne and the other one in Zurich
http://epfl.ch/index.en.html
http://www.ethz.ch/index_EN

I'm not sure they offer Geology because it's very technic and I'm not really sure about their terms.... I studied social sciences so I'm not a technic person.

Here is the list of all the programmes taught in English in Swiss universities
http://www.crus.ch/information-programmes/etudier-en-suisse/offres-detudes/study-programmes-in-english.html?L=1

Best of luck
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Santino1(m): 8:28pm On May 12, 2013
Beehandz: @ Miss-sweety86.

I must commend ur effort on this thread.
Pls do any University or Ploytechnicz in swizz offers PGD in earth sci Courses like Geology or Geophysics or GIS?

miss-sweety86:
We have 2 polytechnical schools one in Lausanne and the other one in Zurich
http://epfl.ch/index.en.html
http://www.ethz.ch/index_EN

I'm not sure they offer Geology because it's very technic and I'm not really sure about their terms.... I studied social sciences so I'm not a technic person.

Here is the list of all the programmes taught in English in Swiss universities
http://www.crus.ch/information-programmes/etudier-en-suisse/offres-detudes/study-programmes-in-english.html?L=1

Best of luck

EPFL Lausanna doesn't offer geology but University of Lausanne does and ofcourse ETH Zurich.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by skinnyJ(m): 1:10pm On May 13, 2013
Hello guys,visitin NL aint new to me but dis whole membership thing is. I jst graduatd(2012) n currently serving(nysc); hopin to run my masters in financial engineering in Lausanne or Geneva,but for now i hav jst been movin frm one website to anoda wit nothing tangible. Plz i realy nid help:relevant links,gists n stuffs lyk dat,,,,i realy luv switzerland thou i'v neva been der,,,i await ur reply.thanks
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by redcliff: 5:40pm On May 13, 2013
skinny J: Hello guys,visitin NL aint new to me but dis whole membership thing is. I jst graduatd(2012) n currently serving(nysc); hopin to run my masters in financial engineering in Lausanne or Geneva,but for now i hav jst been movin frm one website to anoda wit nothing tangible. Plz i realy nid help:relevant links,gists n stuffs lyk dat,,,,i realy luv switzerland thou i'v neva been der,,,i await ur reply.thanks

http://webometrics.info/en/Europe/Switzerland%20
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by bomega4u(m): 8:28pm On May 13, 2013
Hi all,
I have an application interview with ZHAW zurich. Anyone else in my shoes in the house?
I applied for masters in facility management.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by skinnyJ(m): 9:32pm On May 13, 2013
@ redcliff, thanks, thou dats d site fr uni rankings. Frm what i got, my field can only b gotten @ UNIL n since my application would be for 2014/2015(coz of nysc), der z no room for my app nw,,,,z dis true? If yes, what meaninful thing can i set my hands on now, as a way of preparin,,,,*already, i'v got basic knowledge in french*
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by mcleona: 1:07am On May 14, 2013
hi everyone, am thinking of spending part of my summer at flawil switzerland, can i have an idea of how life is around there accommodation and feeding.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by redcliff: 12:24pm On May 14, 2013
skinny J: @ redcliff, thanks, thou dats d site fr uni rankings. Frm what i got, my field can only b gotten @ UNIL n since my application would be for 2014/2015(coz of nysc), der z no room for my app nw,,,,z dis true? If yes, what meaninful thing can i set my hands on now, as a way of preparin,,,,*already, i'v got basic knowledge in french*

I sent that because that would help you know the best ranked universities and its a collation of all the high insitutions of learning depending on what parameters you searched with. + clicking the link takes you directly to the website.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Nobody: 6:13pm On May 14, 2013
skinny J: @ redcliff, thanks, thou dats d site fr uni rankings. Frm what i got, my field can only b gotten @ UNIL n since my application would be for 2014/2015(coz of nysc), der z no room for my app nw,,,,z dis true? If yes, what meaninful thing can i set my hands on now, as a way of preparin,,,,*already, i'v got basic knowledge in french*

you should visit the webiste crus.ch and unil.ch (you can browse it in English. If you want to know whether you can still apply, I advise you to contct directly the faculty at UNIl or their international office. It s good that you already know a little bit French. Let me know if I can help you. I m swiss and I studied at Unil for my bachelor. When you receive an information from someone you should try to confirm with the school or uni just to be sure. \

Good luck

1 Like

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Nobody: 6:16pm On May 14, 2013
mcleona: hi everyone, am thinking of spending part of my summer at flawil switzerland, can i have an idea of how life is around there accommodation and feeding.

accomodation and food are pretty much expensive. If you come as a tourist, I advise you to have quite a large sum of money. Life is expensive in Switzerland.

I m coming back next week so I ll be able to give you more information if you need.

*sorry for the lack of punctuation, I m using a computer from the hotel and I m not used to this keyboard
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by oshonuru: 6:44pm On May 14, 2013
@miss-sweety86, Ma!,
Are there PGD courses in Information Technology or Business informatics/ Business IT for an Accouting graduate?
If given admission, what are the requirements i'll need aside the tuition fee, do i use sponsors account or personal?
Thanks ma.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by skinnyJ(m): 9:02pm On May 14, 2013
miss-sweety86:

you should visit the webiste crus.ch and unil.ch (you can browse it in English. If you want to know whether you can still apply, I advise you to contct directly the faculty at UNIl or their international office. It s good that you already know a little bit French. Let me know if I can help you. I m swiss and I studied at Unil for my bachelor. When you receive an information from someone you should try to confirm with the school or uni just to be sure. \

Good luck
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by skinnyJ(m): 9:40pm On May 14, 2013
Thanks alot miss sweety. Am realy humbled by your selfless service to questions on this thread & am hoping to get more clarifications from u as time unfolds.
Forgive my being inquisitive, coz i was wonderin about the source of your strength to be so selfless; are you of dual citizenship(Swiss & Nig) or is it just in your nature to reach out to people?
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by mcleona: 12:53am On May 15, 2013
miss-sweety86:

accomodation and food are pretty much expensive. If you come as a tourist, I advise you to have quite a large sum of money. Life is expensive in Switzerland.

I m coming back next week so I ll be able to give you more information if you need.

*sorry for the lack of punctuation, I m using a computer from the hotel and I m not used to this keyboard

thanks for that miss sweety, could you give me a rough estimate in pounds. i also put in the location cos i guess things vary based on location
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Santino1(m): 5:24am On May 15, 2013
mcleona:

thanks for that miss sweety, could you give me a rough estimate in pounds. i also put in the location cos i guess things vary based on location

Accomodation: CHF 40-120 (depending on your taste.
Transportation: 9'o clock ticket for Zurich is CHF 12.60 (so I'm guessing it will be way cheaper in Flawil).
Food: A plate of röstli and glass of wine is c.a CHF 45.

I hope that helps?
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Be2012(f): 5:10pm On May 15, 2013
@ skinny what do u mean by asking miss sweet if she is of dual citizenship, are u inferring that Nigerians are not selfless: there are many selfless Niajas who take out time to answer and help their communuty. pls disabuse ur mind okkkk.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Be2012(f): 5:20pm On May 15, 2013
@miss sweety86 last year i tried for Canada visa and failed, i do not want to take chances with switzerland again, if it takes 3 months to get a Visa it may also mean that all the money in my account statement would have to remain there for that same duration till the visa is out just like Canada wanted. Am a pure Niaja babe, leaving that kind of money ie 21000chf idle in an account is 'unholy', but UK is just straight forward and on clear terms. I applied to the Earth science dept for an Msc, i have not actually received my admission letter but i know it will soon be out immediately they get my transcripts which is already on the way.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Port Harcourt Lockdown: What I Saw Around The City Yesterday- PICTURES / The Following Countries Are Visa-free For Nigerian Passport Holders / The Crystal Service immigration Scam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.