Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,716 members, 7,813,362 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:18 AM

Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! (117817 Views)

Attention: Nigerians Living And Working In UAE (dubai) / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by skinnyJ(m): 12:40am On May 16, 2013
@ Be+2012, am a great fanatic and ambassador of NAIJA n beliv me i could even giv more examples of such selfless Naijas, bt had my reasons for asking, which you missed. Nways, will make sure i stick to your advice of disabusin my mind. *winks*
About Swiss study, i tried applying for 2014/2015 autumn semester to no avail; seems lyk apps for that session will only commence by Jan 2014. Any idea about that?
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Santino1(m): 7:49am On May 16, 2013
skinny J: @ Be+2012, am a great fanatic and ambassador of NAIJA n beliv me i could even giv more examples of such selfless Naijas, bt had my reasons for asking, which you missed. Nways, will make sure i stick to your advice of disabusin my mind. *winks*
About Swiss study, i tried applying for 2014/2015 autumn semester to no avail; seems lyk apps for that session will only commence by Jan 2014. Any idea about that?

ETH Zurich and University of Zurich will start receiving applications from end November to end December.
Good luck.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Be2012(f): 6:21pm On May 16, 2013
@Skinny J, its okay, I was just trying to be patriotic, anyway its damn too early for you to be applying for 2014/2015 autumn session, you do really have to wait till at least Dec 2013. Admissions for this autumn are just getting into serious gear.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by skinnyJ(m): 10:18pm On May 19, 2013
Thanks Santino1, though i can only apply to UNIL.
@ Be+2012, good luck as u progress plus, am ryt behind you.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Chiichii2010: 11:12pm On May 20, 2013
Plz miss sweety am a nurse in naija and i want 2 do a 1yr top up 2 get a bsc in nursing n maybe work as a nurse in switzerland,plz do u knw hw much nurses re paid n d likely tuition fees.plz attend 2 me
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Nobody: 1:01pm On May 22, 2013
skinny J: Thanks alot miss sweety. Am realy humbled by your selfless service to questions on this thread & am hoping to get more clarifications from u as time unfolds.
Forgive my being inquisitive, coz i was wonderin about the source of your strength to be so selfless; are you of dual citizenship(Swiss & Nig) or is it just in your nature to reach out to people?

:-) I guess I'm just a person who likes helping others! It doesn't take a lot of time to give information to people so if I can help in that way I'm happy!
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Nobody: 6:52am On May 24, 2013
[quote author=Be+2012]@miss sweety86 last year i tried for Canada visa and failed, i do not want to take chances with switzerland again, if it takes 3 months to get a Visa it may also mean that all the money in my account statement would have to remain there for that same duration till the visa is out just like Canada wanted. Am a pure Niaja babe, leaving that kind of money ie 21000chf idle in an account is 'unholy', but UK is just straight forward and on clear terms. I applied to the Earth science dept for an Msc, i have not actually received my admission letter but i know it will soon be out immediately they get my transcripts which is already on the way.[/quote

Just want to remind you that it's quite normal that the process to get a student visa takes time. You're talking about someone from a developing country (Nigeria) coming to one of the richest country in the world (Switzerland). So I think it's normal that the Swiss authorities spend time to review your application to make sure that it is genuine.

I really don't understand what you say: you have the money to cover your expenses but don't want to keep it in an account? Do you mean that you already want to spend the money meant for your studies?! That just doesn't make sense.

Getting a UK student visa is no more straightforward than getting a Swiss visa. It also takes time and you have to submit a bank account's statement to show that you have enough money to cover your expenses during your stay in the country. So, it's really the same. And I don't think it really takes 3 to 4 months to get a Swiss student visa, but you could have easily verify this by asking those who have already been granted the visa. And even if it takes 3-4 months, there are enough time for you to get the visa and resume classes on time. So really I don't understand what's the big deal. But it's probably better that you don't apply so that someone else who is more motivated could be granted visa instead of you.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Nobody: 6:22pm On May 25, 2013
Chiichii2010: Plz miss sweety am a nurse in naija and i want 2 do a 1yr top up 2 get a bsc in nursing n maybe work as a nurse in switzerland,plz do u knw hw much nurses re paid n d likely tuition fees.plz attend 2 me

sorry for the late reply. The demand for nurses in Switzerland is quite high as our schools don't "produce" enough nurses. But I think you will need to get a certification or take some classes here. The BS in nursing can be done at one of the Universities of Applied Sciences. I don't know about the tution fees, it must be the same than in other uni (around 600CHF). I don't know the average nurse salary either, but I think it should be quite OK. Let me know if you need other informations. I don't know if the classes are taught in English. Maybe you can visit the website crus.ch or orientation.ch
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by redcliff: 7:13pm On May 25, 2013
miss-sweety86:

sorry for the late reply. The demand for nurses in Switzerland is quite high as our schools don't "produce" enough nurses. But I think you will need to get a certification or take some classes here. The BS in nursing can be done at one of the Universities of Applied Sciences. I don't know about the tution fees, it must be the same than in other uni (around 600CHF). I don't know the average nurse salary either, but I think it should be quite OK. Let me know if you need other informations. I don't know if the classes are taught in English. Maybe you can visit the website crus.ch or orientation.ch

Men, na u get this thread now o!!!
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Chiichii2010: 2:50pm On May 27, 2013
Plz miss sweety,cant find any reasonable tin in d site 4 nurses.if u cud be of any help.then we nurses 4rm naija is there a chance 4 us in switzerland.n which sch wil u suggest 4 me 2 apply as a nigerian.n wot is d cost of livin there.tanx
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Nobody: 6:55pm On May 27, 2013
Chiichii2010: Plz miss sweety,cant find any reasonable tin in d site 4 nurses.if u cud be of any help.then we nurses 4rm naija is there a chance 4 us in switzerland.n which sch wil u suggest 4 me 2 apply as a nigerian.n wot is d cost of livin there.tanx

Frist of all, a thank you would be nice. Because I try to help people, but I do that on my free time. So people who don't know how to say "thank you" should forget about asking me.
Second, I am not specialized into health related studies. As I told you, in Switzerland you get a Bachelor in Nursing at a University of Applied Sciences.
Third, I'm not Google! If I can search "university of applied sciences, nursing, switzerland" so can you. So try to get information by yourself and don't always rely on others.
Fourth, you should really learn how to speak English, because you're not going to go very far if you speak/type like that in your professional life.
Fifth: I don't think there are any nursing courses related to nursing taught in English. So, if you don't intend to learn French or German, I wish you good luck!
Sixth: the cost of living in Switzerland is high, maybe you're not aware of that so you should maybe google "most expensive cities/countries in the world"
Seventh: immigration rules in Swtzerland are quite strict. If you want to come for studies you need proof that you have enough money to cover your expenses. If you want to get a job, you need to obtain a working permit. The thing is that there is a policy that goes like that: Switzerland - Europe - extra-european territories. So basically, you would be the last one to be hired because Swiss people and Europeans come first.

4 Likes

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by redcliff: 7:28pm On May 27, 2013
miss-sweety86:

Frist of all, a thank you would be nice. Because I try to help people, but I do that on my free time. So people who don't know how to say "thank you" should forget about asking me.
Second, I am not specialized into health related studies. As I told you, in Switzerland you get a Bachelor in Nursing at a University of Applied Sciences.
Third, I'm not Google! If I can search "university of applied sciences, nursing, switzerland" so can you. So try to get information by yourself and don't always rely on others.
Fourth, you should really learn how to speak English, because you're not going to go very far if you speak/type like that in your professional life.
Fifth: I don't think there are any nursing courses related to nursing taught in English. So, if you don't intend to learn French or German, I wish you good luck!
Sixth: the cost of living in Switzerland is high, maybe you're not aware of that so you should maybe google "most expensive cities/countries in the world"
Seventh: immigration rules in Swtzerland are quite strict. If you want to come for studies you need proof that you have enough money to cover your expenses. If you want to get a job, you need to obtain a working permit. The thing is that there is a policy that goes like that: Switzerland - Europe - extra-european territories. So basically, you would be the last one to be hired because Swiss people and Europeans come first.

haba, you shouldnt have gone in hard on her...I totally understand your altruistic motive on this thread and i commend your efforts. Nobody forced you, you willingly went ahead to assist other people. You came in as a messiah on this thread and people appreciate that. I am sure she does too. If she did not get things right, it could probably be out of desperation she typed whatever she did without thinking.

Chiichii2010: Plz miss sweety,cant find any reasonable tin in d site 4 nurses.if u cud be of any help.then we nurses 4rm naija is there a chance 4 us in switzerland.n which sch wil u suggest 4 me 2 apply as a nigerian.n wot is d cost of livin there.tanx

i suggest you do some research online to better equip yourself about whatever you want to know about..some people do not appreciate it when others ask questions they suppose they should know.. I am sure she meant no harm....
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Nobody: 7:34pm On May 27, 2013
redcliff:

haba, you shouldnt have gone in hard on her...I totally understand your altruistic motive on this thread and i commend your efforts. Nobody forced you, you willingly went ahead to assist other people. You came in as a messiah on this thread and people appreciate that. I am sure she does too. If she did not get things right, it could probably be out of desperation she typed whatever she did without thinking.

i suggest you do some research online to better equip yourself about whatever you want to know about..some people do not appreciate it when others ask questions they suppose they should know.. I am sure she meant no harm....

I just don't like the mentality of always asking others without even trying to get the information by yourself. Maybe this is Nigerian mentality, but I wasn't raised like that so I find quite irritating that people keep asking things without even doing the smallest effort to help themselves! Plus I already told her what I knew about nursing school in Switzerland, so why does she come back to me whining for the same things?! Really I don't appreciate this type of mentality! You cannot expect people to do everything for you! And I'm sorry but I've always been taught to be polite and to say "please" and "thank you, I appreciate your help". And it is even part of the new rule to spell words correctly! So WTH is "tank" => is she referring to me as a tank or what?!

1 Like

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Nobody: 8:49pm On May 27, 2013
miss-sweety86:

I just don't like the mentality of always asking others without even trying to get the information by yourself. Maybe this is Nigerian mentality but I wasn't raised like that so I find quite irritating that people keep asking things without even doing the smallest effort to help themselves! Plus I already told her what I knew about nursing school in Switzerland, so why does she come back to me whining for the same things?! Really I don't appreciate this type of mentality! You cannot expect people to do everything for you! And I'm sorry but I've always been taught to be polite and to say "please" and "thank you, I appreciate your help". And it is even part of the new rule to spell words correctly! So WTH is "tank" => is she referring to me as a tank or what?!

Hey miss-sweety86, you ought to take it very cool with her,still better if you ignore her. You cannot say its Nigerian mentality because we have individual differences and this could be similar to other nationalities, so we cannot generalise it. However, just know that if she doesn't appreciate your effort of feeding her freely with informations, i'm very sure other people would do. Thanks for your understanding.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Nobody: 9:14pm On May 27, 2013
Demaejy:

Hey miss-sweety86, you ought to take it very cool with her,still better if you ignore her. You cannot say its Nigerian mentality because we have individual differences and this could be similar to other nationalities, so we cannot generalise it. However, just know that if she doesn't appreciate your effort of feeding her freely with informations, i'm very sure other people would do. Thanks for your understanding.

that's why i said "maybe it is nigerian mentality", but it's not the first time that i've seen people here asking questions they could much more easily find answer to using google! not the first time either someone from her asks me for infomation and don't have the politeness to say "thank you"
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Santino1(m): 9:52pm On May 27, 2013
miss-sweety86:

that's why i said "maybe it is nigerian mentality", but it's not the first time that i've seen people here asking questions they could much more easily find answer to using google! not the first time either someone from her asks me for infomation and don't have the politeness to say "thank you"

I understand your points. As a matter of fact, she was saying thanks by 'tanx' and not calling you 'tank' as you wrongly assumed(why would she call you a tank after helping her out?).

P.S:I guess most people still don't know how significant it is, to write properly and not some silly SMS/chat style.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by redcliff: 11:15pm On May 27, 2013
Santino1:

P.S:I guess most people still don't know how significant it is, to write properly and not some silly SMS/chat style.

Sometimes people are used to the sms/chat format for communicating with people online because they are already so used to it. Besides this is not a corporate formal forum, any way I feel I can express myself and people understand passes because......it just passes..
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Chiichii2010: 4:51am On May 28, 2013
Miss sweety,thank u 4 helping.thats how u want it right?well thanks 4 announcing i have nigerian mentality,cant do little tins myself and above all cant speak english.little tins matters a lot in lyfe.even if i cant speak or write english words,nobody is perfect in lyfe.this simple lyfe dat we dnt know 2morrow.plz if u ever ce me talk 2 u again in this forum,anywhere at all then knw am insane.tanx sorry thank u!

4 Likes

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Nobody: 6:13am On May 28, 2013
Santino1:

I understand your points. As a matter of fact, she was saying thanks by 'tanx' and not calling you 'tank' as you wrongly assumed(why would she call you a tank after helping her out?).

I know that she meant "thanks" but why can't people type it properly? English isn't my mothertongue either, I started learning it only in secondary school, but if I can make efforts to use it properly, why others can't?!
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Santino1(m): 8:08am On May 28, 2013
redcliff:

Sometimes people are used to the sms/chat format for communicating with people online because they are already so used to it. Besides this is not a corporate formal forum, any way I feel I can express myself and people understand passes because......it just passes..

I do understand but been used to it doesn't make it proper. If people can get used to it, why not get used to the standard way of writing also. I do use sms/chat format sometimes depending on my type of audience but not on serious stuffs where subtle things can be misinterpreted (e.g. tanx and tank).

Chiichii2010: Miss sweety,thank u 4 helping.thats how u want it right?well thanks 4 announcing i have nigerian mentality,cant do little tins myself and above all cant speak english.little tins matters a lot in lyfe.even if i cant speak or write english words,nobody is perfect in lyfe.this simple lyfe dat we dnt know 2morrow.plz if u ever ce me talk 2 u again in this forum,anywhere at all then knw am insane.tanx sorry thank u!

I'm not sure it has got to that level.

miss-sweety86:

I know that she meant "thanks" but why can't people type it properly? English isn't my mothertongue either, I started learning it only in secondary school, but if I can make efforts to use it properly, why others can't?!

Well, been on Nairaland, the first assumption most people make is that you are Nigerian and those 'Nigerian' english are something no Nigerian will ever miss.

Anyways, you have done an excellent job on this thread and minor 'breakdown' in communication should not deter you from doing what you think is right (which is helping people the little way you can).
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by redcliff: 4:17pm On May 28, 2013
Santino1:

I do understand but been used to it doesn't make it proper. If people can get used to it, why not get used to the standard way of writing also. I do use sms/chat format sometimes depending on my type of audience but not on serious stuffs where subtle things can be misinterpreted (e.g. tanx and tank).

I'm not sure it has got to that level.

Well, been on Nairaland, the first assumption most people make is that you are Nigerian and those 'Nigerian' english are something no Nigerian will ever miss.

Anyways, you have done an excellent job on this thread and minor 'breakdown' in communication should not deter you from doing what you think is right (which is helping people the little way you can).

Gbam!!!
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by mallorca(m): 5:33pm On May 28, 2013
miss-sweety86:

So you know that she meant thanks
but you still accused her of calling you a tank?

3 Likes

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Nobody: 7:05pm On May 28, 2013
mallorca:

So you know that she meant thanks
but you still accuse her of calling you a tank?

I was not accusing her, I said it like that just to point out that writing "thank" doesn't require much efforts than writing "tank"!
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by mallorca(m): 10:07pm On May 28, 2013
miss-sweety86:

I was not accusing her, I said it like that just to point out that writing "thank" doesn't require much efforts than writing "tank"!
ok now I understand your points,
i live in Swiss also,but i dont have the time to pass information to anybody because i dont spend much time here,
Am realy humbled by your selfless service to questions on this thread,
keep it up!
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Nobody: 9:52pm On May 29, 2013
mallorca:
ok now I understand your points,
i live in Swiss also,but i dont have the time to pass information to anybody because i dont spend much time here,
Am realy humbled by your selfless service to questions on this thread,
keep it up!

yeah, I know it takes time. Sometimes I feel tired because here people expect replies, especially because I think there are only few Swiss people or Nigerians living in Switzerland that are available to help. But I also feel that anytime I post to ask something I barely get any reply. So I'm also getting tired of always giving advice but when I'm the one asking the question nobody cares...
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by mallorca(m): 2:22am On May 30, 2013
miss-sweety86:

yeah, I know it takes time. Sometimes I feel tired because here people expect replies, especially because I think there are only few Swiss people or Nigerians living in Switzerland that are available to help. But I also feel that anytime I post to ask something I barely get any reply. So I'm also getting tired of always giving advice but when I'm the one asking the question nobody cares...
i understand your point,
but it's better to give than to recive smiley smiley smiley
keep on giving,the hand that is giving is always on top
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by kayodedavid(m): 11:24am On Jun 02, 2013
Hi, have took my time today to read through the conversation on this topic. Miss sweety, i must tell you that you are very good person. Its really amazing seeing answering questions till the last reply. 7070 is a another amazing person. Am so proud of you people. Trends like this makes me have believe in the future of Nigerians and nigeria as a country. The brotherly feel is impeccable.
Now to my question, i can really quote who said something about ZHAW master in facility management but  actually need info about the course, school(wadenswil campus), lectures, work modules etc. Have heard so much about the country swiss as a whole. Have been offered admission for masters in facility management for september 2013. I am a true nigeria and i believe so much in this country. If we can survive economically in this country and esp in the city of lagos, surviving in swiss will only be task for few months before i get used to it. Please peeps, am really waiting to hear from you about ZHAW,Msc facility management and wadenswil... Thank you.. God bless NIGERIA
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by 7070: 1:07pm On Jun 02, 2013
Be+2012:
Hello Peeps, I applied to thE university of frbiourg and am about to gain admissionow a friend of mine informed that inorder To ObtAin a study permit to switzerland (Fribourg)I need to book an appointment with the embassy which takeS abt 15days, then after submitting my required docs it may take bwtn 4 and 3 months to get a feedback from swiss authorities. Pls is thiS really true for nigerians wishin to study there?

Yes it is
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by 7070: 1:13pm On Jun 02, 2013
Greetings all..
Been quite busy..but I have responded to those who sent me private messages..for more information without drama just send an email directly or something..schooled in zurich..work in zurich..live in zurich..love Zurich and would be nice to have more Legit Nigerians around too..
Cheers All grin
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by 7070: 1:15pm On Jun 02, 2013
kayode-david:
Hi, have took my time today to read through the conversation on this topic. Miss sweety, i must tell you that you are very good person. Its really amazing seeing answering questions till the last reply. 7070 is a another amazing person. Am so proud of you people. Trends like this makes me have believe in the future of Nigerians and nigeria as a country. The brotherly feel is impeccable.
Now to my question, i can really quote who said something about ZHAW master in facility management but  actually need info about the course, school(wadenswil campus), lectures, work modules etc. Have heard so much about the country swiss as a whole. Have been offered admission for masters in facility management for september 2013. I am a true nigeria and i believe so much in this country. If we can survive economically in this country and esp in the city of lagos, surviving in swiss will only be task for few months before i get used to it. Please peeps, am really waiting to hear from you about ZHAW,Msc facility management and wadenswil... Thank you.. God bless NIGERIA

Still at your service..my flatmate attends this school smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Port Harcourt Lockdown: What I Saw Around The City Yesterday- PICTURES / The Crystal Service immigration Scam / The Following Countries Are Visa-free For Nigerian Passport Holders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.